Comments

• Mike...I bought "Centenial" at Sam's Club. I hadn't seen it since it first aired many years ago. It is, I beleive, the BEST thing that has ever been produced for television. The acting is first rate and the actors were proud of the work they did.

June 22, 2009 at 8:09 a.m.

• Wow Wayward
    Remind the me not to argue with you about military aircraft… I know when I’m out of my league but after I left yesterday I came across an article and the CSPAN segment where Gates looked to be serious and in charge.

I’m sure Gates (even though not a yes man) does't want to be publicly humiliated, so you might still have a small point…. I think with North Korea, Iran, Afghanistan /Pakistan on the horizon, the president wants the straight scoop from his military leaders, so I think he gives them a lot of latitude…..IMO

Have a good week-end… BTW I hinted that I wanted “Centennial” for Father’s Day…I remember you saying you were going to watch over some holiday weekend.

June 19, 2009 at 5:49 p.m.

• Mike...The F-22 is an air superiority fighter much like the F-15C, designed to deny an enemy the opportunity to control the air space above a battlefield; the F-35 is a strike fighter, much like the F-16 and designed to drop bombs on enemy positions and to take care of itself if fighters show up. It is NOT an air superiority fighter. It is supposed to operate with three services, the Air Force, Navy and Marines. I hope it is more successful than the last plane a Secretary of Defense wanted for that role, the FB-111. It simply couldn't operate off carrier decks and the Air Force kinda got stuck with it. It was an okay tactical bomber but never achieved the success that was hoped for. The F-22 is a far more capable airplane. It is stealthy, meaning the enemy will have a difficult time finding it with radar; it has suppressed infra-red emissions, meaning that heat seeking missiles will have a difficult time locking on; it has super cruise capability, meaning it can cruise at supersonic speed without having to use afterburners which double fuel consumption; it has thrust vectoring capability, meaning it can change the direction of the jet exhaust for greater manuverability. All these things are force multipliers making it more capable than the enemy planes when coupled with the superior training of the American pilots. This is the airplane that the SecDef wants to do what the MiGs would have difficulty doing -- kill it.

This country has, since 1943 deployed the finest airplanes in the world giving the pilots clear advantages in aerial combat. Never have we gone with second best. Giving the pilots the best airplanes not only provides the needed air superiority that allows the army to win ground battles, IT SAVES LIVES of US pilots!

If Gates can be sure that from now on we will only be faced with fighting a bunch of rag head goat herders who believe high tech is rubber tires for their donkey carts then we don't need the best airplanes we can make. But I don't think even Gates can be certain that our military won't have to face next generation MiG and Sukhoi fighters from Russia or even French Mirages that have been sold to countries that don't like us. Iran comes to mind. North Korea is getting real frisky. If bad comes to worst and shooting breaks out do you want to tell our pilots that the planes we give them to fly into combat are almost as good as the best?

By the way, Mike, I won't let this get in the way of blaming the president. :)

June 19, 2009 at 5:27 p.m.

• Legion,

I, as millions of people in this country are aware of what happened in the 2000 election.
    I was speaking about OTHER countries sticking their noses in our elections.

June 19, 2009 at 2:47 p.m.

• Waywardwind
    I have no illusions that this article will change your mind but it is further proof that Gates is behind the push to cut funding to the F-22s but another poster might want some information.

In a briefing to reporters Thursday, Gates called an effort by the House Armed Services Committee to restore funding for the F-22 "a big problem," and he said that the claim by some members of Congress that eliminating the F-22 poses a threat to national security was "nonsense."

I saw a little bit of this on CSPAN and it sounded like it was Gate's idea but don’t let this get in the way of blaming Obama.:-)

Obama could persuade Gates but what good is it to have a Secretary of Defense if you are going to micromanage.

June 19, 2009 at 11:12 a.m.

• Legion357
    In reference to the 2000 election, I have no idea what you’re talking about… Justice O’Connor was the swing vote; we all know how she voted.

You agreed that the staying in power will get legislation passed but that is a no brainer … Elections matter.

Unlike the republicans who run away from government (although they are part of the government) and speak out against government Health Care (although they are on government Health Care) the democrats should try to push their agenda because that is what they were elected to do. Recent polls show that voters favor the democrats by a 45 – 25. Why should they try to push legislation that only 25% of the people want?

June 19, 2009 at 10:37 a.m.

• Alton
    You criticized my blog but it was the comments section that you emphasized. GoliadChica is the only poster that commented on the subject of polls and posters.

The blogs I write are my thoughts on was happening in today’s political world, I keep a cut and paste to the minimum, keep it factual , source what might be considered controversial, and if I am stating an opinion I usually qualified it with a… {IMO}.

You mocked my healthcare stats the other day in a condescending manner, but I guarantee you I will not try to sway or try to misinform any one…. This is my source.

During the past four decades America’s health spending annually has grown an average of about 2.5 percentage points faster than has the rest of the G.D.P. Because G.D.P. has declined since 2008, health care now claims 18 percent of G.D.P., up from 16 percent only two years ago. Soon it will claim 20 percent and, at historical spending trends, 40 percent by midcentury.

You wanted to know how the GOP is holding up any of Obama’s nomination.

I would think that you would try to research the parliamentary procedure before questioning what I posted…… [Absent unanimous consent from all senators] no issue may be considered by the full senate, unless it is given time on the senate floor for debate.i.e...By indiscriminately objecting Obama's nominee,a single senator can force Reid to choose between confirming a nominee or advancing health care I was not talking about a cloture motion….Dawn Johnsen is president Obama’s nominee to head the Department of Justice office of legal counsel, an Harold Koh is been held up as chief legal adviser to the State Department…. 10 other nominees are being held up, but you can research that on your own.

So you are fed up with the crying about the actions of today, as well as I am about all the conservative nit picking, as the if Obama is responsible for everything that goes wrong in their lives.

Conservatives want to nitpick and forget about the previous disasters of the last eight years. It doesn't work that way, especially since no one from the previous administration has stepped forward to take their punishment. ..IMO

Conservatives have no credibility at all when they suddenly become deficit hawks and kept quite for the previous eight years.

June 19, 2009 at 10:19 a.m.

• Mike, I have seen better blogs from you.

Wayward, makes a lot of sense to me. Especially the comment "The simple truth is that the people in government have become so used to their perks and power that they don't care about the country or the people any more. The only thing they care about is staying in power. This goes for republicans AND democrats."

I would like to know just how the GOP is holding up any nomination in Washington? We have seen more cheats approved for appoints than anytime in recent history. The GOP has no real power at this time in Washington to be able to holding up any appointments, legislation, spending and etc. on their own. They just don't have the votes. They may be requiring Congress/Senate to adhear to procedural rules, which may create a small delay, but it does not hold up approvals of appointment.

There has not been a single filibuster. They may not even have have this tool every long.

Anything that happens in this Administration and Congress/Senate belongs to the Democrat Party and President Obama.

I am so fed up with the crying about the actions of today are caused by the prior Administration or the GOP. I have fired numerous managers over the years that used a similar excuse. They are hired for the job today, if they can not handle it, we will find someon that can. I have never been a person big on excuses, I want positive actions, not something that come back and hit me in the face.

June 18, 2009 at 11:58 p.m.

• Well said wwwind.

Vet, nope no one interfered with the 2000 election, except the supreme court (with 2 Clinton appointees setting). And lord how Al Gore and the democrats howled, whined, pitched a hissy fit, threatened lawsuits, ect. Nope no one interfered.

Mike you posted "Unfortunately because of lobbyist money and our reluctance to reform campaign finance, our legislators have to start collecting money for their next campaign as soon as the election is over.

Staying in power should be their goal; how else can they get legislation passed?"

Exactly, but at this time it is the democratic legislators pushing the legislation and hoping they can stay in power to get it passed.

Like the old 45's, same band playing the song, just the other side of the record.

June 18, 2009 at 6:29 p.m.

• Wayward
    Glad I got to read your excellent post before I left but I will leave with a few thoughts.

1. You are sadly mistaken if you think Jim Jones and Gates are ,yes men and they need the job,,,Better ask someone.
    2. Russia is broke and in worse shape than we are and China likes the capitalist world ,especially since it is a world leader.
    3. General Petraeus believes we need to prepare for the war of today as does Gates..You can't convince me, Petraeus won't tell Obama how he feels..He already has.
    4. We have more than enough weaponry to take care of our needs...IMO

June 18, 2009 at 6:14 p.m.

• Mike..."Are you saying that you know than them about what this country needs or what to do away with?"

I'm saying that Jones and Gates want to keep their jobs and to do that they want to keep their boss happy and if the president doesn't want to spend a dime on the military, they'll agree with him. I'm saying they care more about their jobs than they do about the wellfare of the men and women in the military and the welfare of the nation.

The problem with aging airplanes in the military isn't a political issue. It's a life and death problem for the men and women who fly them. The F-15's that are the backbone of the Air Force air superiority airplanes are old. They have been grounded at least twice because of corrosion problems. Would you be willing to risk pilots lives in planes that are not the best in the world? The KC-135 tankers are also very old. They are maintenence hogs now, requireing many hours of work on the ground for each flight hour. The need is great for replacements. The KC-10's are good airplanes, but they, too, are getting long in the tooth and there aren't enough of them to replace the 135's. The Air Force needs new tankers. The only combat airplanes on the Navy's carriers are the FA-18's. They are excellent planes, but they do not have any stealth characteristics and will begin to need replacing in a few years. Navy planes lead hard lives facing the salt air at sea and the rigors of carrier operations.

While the politicians in Washington are posturing, the Russians and the Chinese are building next generation combat airplanes. American lives are at risk and you piously say, "In this economy we cannot keep throwing money at the military industrial complex…IMO" In MY humble opinion, we need to spend a lot more money here than in pouring money into the coffers of doomed companies.

You and I are both of an age where we probably have only a couple of decades left, but your children and grandchildren should have a chance to live in a free America. You talk of cowboy diplomacy being over. Okay, fine. But think what would happen to this country if there wasn't a credible military to keep the bad guys in check. There are some really bad people running some countries and they generally don't like us. Our military kept us safe during the cold war because they were strong -- both in nuclear weapons as well as conventional weapons.

June 18, 2009 at 6 p.m.

• Thanks Vet
    I heard Chris Matthews and his guest talk about MacFarlane and that bible in the cake yesterday, but I did have any idea what they were talking about… Now I do.

It just amazes me how much Chris Matthews knows about politics and history.

June 18, 2009 at 5:50 p.m.

• Hello wayward
    Come on now, I am surprised you are harping about “change” I gave you a lot more credit than that. Go back and look at all the nominations the minority party is holding up due to ideological reasons. It only takes one vote in committee. Czars are all you have after six whole months?

James L. Jones is the president’s security adviser and Robert Gates is the Secretary of state. Are you saying that you know than them about what this country needs or what to do away with? President Obama does not make decisions in a vacuum. Six democrats have changed their votes on the F- 22 funding, so it is getting another look see. In this economy we cannot keep throwing money at the military industrial complex…IMO

If you take the time to go on line or would have paid attention to the president when he talked about the stimulus package, you would know that funds for repairing the infrastructure takes time because it involves the state’s and their priorities ,so that funding will not come until 2010. I don’t believe we had enough money in the stimulus package for repairing the infrastructure.

June 18, 2009 at 5:23 p.m.

• Good read here:

June 18, 2009 at 5:03 p.m.

• Did anyone in the world get involved in our 2000 presidential election? No, because we don't want anyone else telling us how to run our elections? Katherine Harris excepted.

June 18, 2009 at 4:56 p.m.

• Chica..."Stop believing everything spoonfed to you by the non-powers that be - they have one goal, to get back into office. They never have cared what they do to the people - its all about the power and the $$$."

That is a very powerful statement and very true. However, it can be said about either party when they are out of power.

"Human rights and constitutional rights and a decent standard of living for all Americans are what should be important"

This is absolutely what I believe also. Bush walked over the Constitution -- of that there can be no doubt. But now we have a new president who said CHANGE is coming. Look what he's doing to the Constitution. I've lost count of the czars he's appointed -- all of them without the "advise and consent" of the Senate. Heck, the Russians only needed ONE czar at a time. These are people who are accountable to no one and have unprecedented power. Look at the money BO's spending. Hundreds of billions of dollars down the rat hole with little hope for most of it being repaid. All that stimulus money being spent and the military is -- as usual in a Democrat administration -- suffering cuts. Some of the stimulus money should go to pay raises for enlisted personnel and junior officers. The F-22 project is being cut at a time when Russia, China, Iran, and Korea are all flexing their muscles. The Air Force needs new tanker planes; whether the Boeing KC-767 or the KC-330 from Airbus, the need is great. KC-135's have been flying for more than 40 years. The Air Force gets its moneys worth from its airplanes. The Navy needs new airplanes, too, but there isn't a replacement in sight, but by damn we can pour money into failing businesses. Some of those businesses might survive with military contracts. Have you seen any money dedicated to rebuilding American infrastructure -- bridges, highways, airports, seaports, etc? Those are things that are needed and would provide real jobs for real people -- a lot of whom would probably vote democrat -- but the president and congress doesn't seem to care about that. How many more interstate bridges have to fail before the government notices that a lot of our bridges are in poor shape? But we can't spend money there; oh no.

June 18, 2009 at 4:51 p.m.

• Vet,
    On my way to Walgreens, I decided to tune in Hannity and he did not disappoint with all of his misstatements, lies and exaggerations. He said Obama was worse than Carter because at least President Carter had a humanitarian reason for his decisions on Iran…. Correct my memory, weren’t these the same guys that wanted to nuke Iran a few months ago? Don’t we all know that if Obama would have chosen to help out the Iranian election protesters, the same people would be reminding us of our mistake in overthrowing the shah of Iran…? Never mind, I would have to give them credit for reading a history book.

Iran-Contra isn’t that where President Reagan arms-for-hostages against the wishes of Congress?

Ollie North lied to Congress during the Iran-Contra hearings and now he is popular right wing talk show host...A nice reward.

June 18, 2009 at 4:47 p.m.

• On your last paragraph, Mike. Remember McCain singing "Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran? All these guys slobbering to do something with NK and Iran, I'd love to see how many of them have relatives in the military.
    So far as cream puffs, guess who provided arms to Iran in the '80's? You know Iran-Contra which also involved a certain colonel, Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger, Elliot Abrams and John Poindexter.

June 18, 2009 at 4:28 p.m.

• I cannot disagree with your logic GoliadChica but I have some minor disagreements with some of your statements. I think they are some legitimate polling companies out there that put their credibility on the line every day. I think a poll with a 1000 or more responding, and+3 or -3 reliability is a pretty good tool. As you say the wording of the question cannot be vague. When I see surrogates of both parties quoting the same poll, then it is a reliable source..IMO

I used to be a firm believer in everything that came from the Washington Post and the New York Times, until those fine newspapers bought all the propaganda from the pentagon. Judith Miller’s source for WMD in Iraq wasfrom a tortured detainee, who later recanted his story. The so-called left wing media supported going into Iraq for the privilege of being embedded journalists..... Never, no more.

Fear mongering is losing its potency because of the Iraq war fiasco and years have passed since 9/11..IMO… OH,John McCain,Rush,Hannity and Fox News are calling for action against North Korea and Iran and calling the president a weakling but the saber rattling will not be paid attention to by this pragmatic president… Cowboy diplomacy is over…. The tables have turned because it is now those “support the troops” card carrying republicans that want to vote against a war supplemental because of a provision to send money to the IMF.

June 18, 2009 at 4:01 p.m.

• When I teach statistics, my first lecture is called "Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics" - and I show students how stats can be used to lie and how pollsters can ask questions in certain ways to make the numbers come out like they want.

That said, all polls are snapshots, like you said, and should be taken with a grain of salt. Always consider who ran the poll and, especially, what exactly were the questions?

I'm not trying to make people mad, but Americans are absolute sheep when it comes to marketing and the GOP are the best at the scare tactics. Americans buy what they are told and the GOP has the best marketing around. If anyone doesn't believe me, look at the BS Bush et al made us swallow about the Iraq war. They convinced everyone that a) opposing the war was Un-American and b) Iraq was linked with Al-Qaeda and c) we were in imminent danger of WMDs being used on us.

True? Hardly. Did we buy it? Hook line and sinker.

The very same people are still at it - the neverending campaign to get the U.S. to be something it never has been.

But those same people are still very talented at tapping into fear and aiming it at the American People. Fear is very powerful - it makes people vote against their own self-interest and vote for sending our young people to die overseas to fight an unnecessary war.

You don't think it worked? Why do we keep hearing from that Dick Cheney and Rush Limbaugh - the paranoid hypocrite drug user? Why is their theme song: we are not safe, not safe, do you hear?

Because fear works and it is their only weapon.

It sells like sex sells - and it's all marketing, people.

Read, watch, and use critical thinking skills.

Wake up - fight for your rights and to keep others for legislating their morality. Human rights and constitutional rights and a decent standard of living for all Americans are what should be important.

Didn't you baby boomers used to care about your fellow man?

June 18, 2009 at 3:21 p.m.