Comments

• Wayward
    Sorry, didn’t mean to sound mean-spirited, it was just in fun..Ending with a smiley face.

Sometimes these short posts take on a meaning all their own.

I was really saying, that a sharp fellow like you could find that answer if you wanted to…It was a back-handed compliment.

I don’t think I said you were afraid but your dislike of government is no secret…I don’t picture you being afraid of anything.

July 2, 2009 at 4:42 p.m.

• "ACORN... can’t be as bad as Bernie Madoff or Robert Stanford..."

Funny, all three are major Democrat supporters.

July 2, 2009 at 4:30 p.m.

• Mike..."With a little Google search, I bet you can find all the answers to your questions...If you really wanted to;that is...:-)"

Well, Mike, as of today, I just might be able to do that. My computer at home didn't exactly die, but it kinda had a heart attack about four months ago. Since I couldn't use it, I cancelled my internet service. Well, the computer is back, supposedly healthy, and my wife called Suddenlink this afternoon to reinstate the internet service. Now , maybe I won't be liminted to the computer at work with so much that is access restricted. I'm looking forward to it.

Still, I don't care how easy or convenient the form is. It is what the government wants the information for is what I'm looking for. And, Mike, the other day you said I'm afraid of the government. Not true. I just don't trust'em. Bureaucrats and congress critters have way too much power and aren't accountable to anyone. It doesn't bother some people to have a pet rattlesnake, but I don't trust them either.

July 2, 2009 at 4:27 p.m.

• Thanks Vet
    I completely forgot about that...lol

"I don't need no stinking proof,I watch Fox News"..lol
    What the right-wing blogs leave out..They make up.:-)

They are a paranoid bunch.

July 2, 2009 at 4:25 p.m.

• Why was no one concerned in 2000?
    Is it because of idiots like this with their fear mongering?:

July 2, 2009 at 4:06 p.m.

• ACORN, what a waste of the taxpayers dime.. The corruption with in ACORN is alive and well. The Dem's refuse to open an investigation because of thier on involement into ACORN "MOFIA", Obama is right in the heart of ACORN, that is no secret, that is a fact... When all said done they will move these criminals to GITMO.
    But their will be no conviction until Obama's out of office, he has the strong arm of AG Holder to hide behind for now..

July 2, 2009 at 3:59 p.m.

• Wayward
    From their website
    MARCH 31, 2008 – The U.S. Census Bureau submitted to Congress the questions it will ask for the 2010 Census. 2010 ACS Questionnaires Notebook

The questions on gender, age, race, ethnicity, relationship and whether you own or rent your home are essentially the same as those asked in 2000, with some improvements designed to help reduce respondent confusion.

Estimated to take less than 10 minutes to complete, the 2010 Census will be one of the shortest and easiest to complete since the nation’s first census in 179.

July 2, 2009 at 3:20 p.m.

• Wayward

Why are you asking me? Was that a rhetorical question?..I heard why the questions are important but at this time I can’t remember the answer or who said it…That might be something you should write your congressman about;afterall the questions have been there; forever.

Come-on wayward, be truthful, you will always be distrustful of the government..It’s in your DNA.:-)

July 2, 2009 at 3:07 p.m.

• Mike, perhaps if the Censu Bureau would just try to explain WHY the hell they think they need so much information, people wouldn't be so mistrustful of them. As it stands, the government says to answer the questions and shut up. If asked why they need the information, the answer seems to be "because." The whole government needs to remember who they are SUPPOSED to work for.

July 2, 2009 at 3:01 p.m.

• He sure did,Vet

The right wing blogs have been posting that Judge Sotomayor is connected to that evil group ACORN….but here is another version:

The 350-plus pages of material offer little evidence about Sotomayor's role in the cases and causes the organization, now known as LatinoJustice PRLDEF, took up while she served on its board from 1980 until 1992.

But Republicans quickly seized on them as full of "red flags" on Sotomayor, whose hearings are scheduled to begin July 13. A top aide to Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama, the senior Republican on the Judiciary panel, accused Sotomayor's allies of purposely withholding the documents in a bid to rush through Sotomayor's confirmation.

Not one from the right side will fess up and say Fox News and all those ideologues were wrong about ACORN; they merely search the web for more bias falsehoods..lol

Have a Happy July 4th.

After eight disastrous years of George W. Bush they are sacred of 6 ½ years of a popular president and ACORN…Yet they don’t even know what ACORN does..It can’t be as bad as Bernie Madoff or Robert Stanford.

July 2, 2009 at 3 p.m.

• Nothing to argue about....just staying on the topic of ACORN & what was said today. Maybe now that the press is no longer swooning over Obama, maybe Sotomayors connections & true beliefs will come to light.

Even though you called me stupid, I still wish you a happy & safe Independence Day.

July 2, 2009 at 2:48 p.m.

• Someone refresh my memory. Didn't the Cheney/Bush administration fund ACORN for 8 years?
    Never mind:

July 2, 2009 at 2:42 p.m.

• VBB
    I learned a long time ago never to argue with anyone who comes to the table empty handed and a closed mind…… Nothing to be gained.

Have a happy 4th of July

July 2, 2009 at 2:06 p.m.

• WWW - have you read the book "Nanny State"? Excellent read, it's scary & sad how many freedoms & liberties have been lost to people who feel like they know better.

Mike, I turned on the news today to hear that Sotomayor is linked to ACORN. Somehow the connection will come to light when these latest papers are released. ACORN seems to be a pretty powerful group with their fingers in many pies & they never seem to be up to any good. I might not be so suspicious of the current administration if they weren't so supportive of & closely affiliated to ACORN. I may not have been a fan of Bill Clinton, but he didn't scare me the way this one does. ACORN definately scares me.

July 2, 2009 at 2:01 p.m.

• Lol..Again that's your opinion not a fact.

July 2, 2009 at 10:51 a.m.

• It is a fact that it was Democrats who brought us the "the truth is subjective" bullcrap. Just last year it came from the mouth of candidate Obama.

Now, I hear a eagerly self-pronounced Democrat state right here on this very forum, in this very comment stream, state "liberty is subjective".

It is FACT, not opinion, that both of these came from Democrats. But somehow, the referencing of a statement made by you,becomes my opinion that you made such statement, regardless of the fact it is right there in black & white.

Mike, I often wonder if you even know the difference between opinion and fact.

I suppose, in the land of mental squat thrusts, everything is subjective, as in a conversation which would sound something like: Person 1, "the sky is blue", Person 2 "no its not, thats your opinion, its only blue if you want it to be" - or- Person 1, "I wish there was no gravity so I could fly", Person 2, "gravity does not keep you down, its only your opinion that gravity exists that keeps you grounded".

Anything can be subjective in a persons self absorbed mental universe. But that does not change physical facts. To the sane, that is fact, not opinion.

July 2, 2009 at 10:46 a.m.

• Mike,

thank you for allowing me to take up a couple minutes of your time. If your going to put it out there don't walk around with hands in pocket..

Good day

July 1, 2009 at 4:25 p.m.

• On Topic
    Now, in the latest rebuke of her off-the-wall claims about the Census, three out of the four House Republicans on the subcommittee that oversees the Census have released a statement calling her boycott plan “llogical, illegal and not in the best interest of our country”:

“Boycotting the constitutionally mandated Census is illogical, illegal and not in the best interest of our country,” Reps. Patrick McHenry (N.C.), Lynn Westmoreland (Ga.) and John Mica (Fla.), members of the Oversight and Government Reform Subcommittee on Information Policy, Census and National Achieves, said in a statement Wednesday.

“[A] boycott opens the door for partisans to statistically adjust Census results,” the trio’s statement said. “The partisan manipulation of census data would irreparably transform the Census from being the baseline of our entire statistical system into a tool used to wield political power in Washington.”

According to Roll Call, the three Republicans “approached Bachmann privately over the past few weeks and asked her to stop the boycott,” but “decided to go public because Bachmann appeared unfazed by their request.” Bachmann pushed her boycott plan on Monday in an interview with Sean Hannity.

Census officials have been meeting with Bachmann to try to talk her down from her illogical concerns. CongressDaily reports that McHenry even “showed her printed census materials in the attempt to dispel her fears.” But she remained skeptical. A GOP source said, “As long as Fox News keeps calling, she’s going to keep going.

July 1, 2009 at 4:24 p.m.

• itisi

I really don’t pay any attention to Victore or his post and I don’t do interviews, which is what your posts amount to.

I would be most appreciative if you would go find someone else to bother.

Have a good day

July 1, 2009 at 4:08 p.m.

• I am the point person for Mike, nothing else, and I state that in my profile if you’re interested.

Again, another poster criticizing me for assuming a position on the left, but you would have much more credibility if you go after those that continually take a position on the right, as well…If it is moderation you crave.

Defend myself from what and to whom? That weak cap-and-trade bill is about 1,300 pages long, and I will not be even pretend to know all the details of the bill… I did say this bill will be taken up by the senate in the fall, so for now I will not be paying much attention to it….. I was thinking out loud, when I wrote “Why now” and I qualified it with a “far be it for me to question a seasoned speaker of the house”, other words, I know my place…….E.g. I might question why Roy Oswald threw a slider that the batter hit out of the park, but he is a professional, I’m not.

As for Fox, I will continue to write about that anti-Obama news station, supported with documented facts, and you are welcome to criticize the mainstream media.

I am that under no illusions that other posters agree with what I Post…You won’t catch me using the “we” as if I am speaking for the group.

July 1, 2009 at 3:57 p.m.

• Mike,

just another note here: I read victore comments on socialism found that interresting, I did check that out. Norman Thomas was for real, and I have never heard of that guy before. I found out that Mr. Thomas was also instrumantal in the forming an organization which morphed into the ACLU. So where are you on victore's comments.

July 1, 2009 at 3:40 p.m.

• Mike,

it seems that your not w/out opinion of Fox and all that goes w/it, you address no fault of the left. Are you the point person for the Left.

Your comments make for good reading, but why not defend yourself if you disgree. Cape & Trade, stated "Why now" then hope the senate does a better job than the house, you have no reason to question the current leadership "Nancy Pelosi".. You put it out there, tells me it open for questions..

July 1, 2009 at 3:18 p.m.

• Itisi
    I don’t know why you picked me for your very first subject to comment on, in the Victoria Advocate Forum…. According to the comments section..

Some of your questions need clarifications so I will answer the questions with a question of my own.

Why are my answers that important to you?... Your questions amount to insinuations based on your opinion….. You do have a vivid imagination.

July 1, 2009 at 2:57 p.m.

• Wayward
    You did not post anything that was offensive and besides by now, I know where you’re coming from and I always accept people as they are…. You are not a phony and I respect that.

July 1, 2009 at 2:42 p.m.

• Mr. Mike,
    After reading a few of your comments or post, it seems that you have no problem w/ACORN or what the current adm. does or how far they can go into your personal live. You made remarks to tax forms, that info is only prevy to the IRS.

What do you have aganist the RIGHT?

Why do feel that our leaders know all thier is know and you feel you need not question their leadership?

Why do you feel the government will take care of you without any objection?

Why would follow the pide pepper if you have a better way?

Why are you with so many words from the LEFT with no sound answer when ask a question?

July 1, 2009 at 2:39 p.m.

• Mike...I surely hope you take no offense. I don't even agree with my wife about everything ----- but I still like her.

July 1, 2009 at 2:27 p.m.

• I’m not that gullible because I had no illusions about you..:-)

We were just a couple of old geezers sharing some thoughts over the fence post...:-)..We then go inside and tomorrows a new day..Until we run out of days..:-(

July 1, 2009 at 2:02 p.m.

• Mike..."As BigJ and I say to each other “let’s agree to disagree.”

Done...And did you notice that the world has regained it's equilibrium? We'd been agreeing too much in the last few days. I thought you were beginning to come around. :)

July 1, 2009 at 1:52 p.m.

• Wayward
    This really is a useless argument that is more about personalities, ideology, and priorities, than anything else.

I’m not excitable as you are, over a daily news subject, and I don’t worry too much about things I cannot control….. Now, I am a political junkie, so those subjects interest me.

I’m not going to waste my time on the intricacies of government, liberties, or subjects that we will never agree on.

As BigJ and I say to each other “let’s agree to disagree.”

July 1, 2009 at 1:44 p.m.

• As usual Johnny, that's your opinion,not a fact.

July 1, 2009 at 1:30 p.m.

• Mike...Tylenol has been on the market for decades -- it has been tested out the ying-yang. Heck, it even survived the poisoning scare but it might not survive the FDA's latest attack. In point of fact, Tylenol is safe -- as safe as any over the counter drug on the market. Can it be abused, can people take too much, especially in combination with other drugs? Of course, but is that a good enough reason to pull it off the market? Of course not! I take it almost every night and it aleviates arthritis pain in my hands to let me sleep. Can I use something else? I suppose so, but why should I? Some bureaucrats say that after decades of use it is dangerous to some and they can save lives by pulling it off the shelf. How many lives? The story doesn't say and the bureaucrats can't say, either.

"A nanny state? A bit of a stretch ,don’t you think?"

No, I don't. In addition to the threat to Tylenol, do you remember when over the counter cold remedies were pulled from shelves and placed behind the pharmacy counter? When was the last time you saw a cigarette advertisment on television? How about for bourbon? Government tells you you can't gamble but if you do and win they want you to pay taxes but won't let you deduct losses. They want to tell you how much fuel mileage your new car must get even if you want something else. Government tells restaurants what kind of cooking oil they can and cannot use. Government wants to tell us whom we may and may not marry. Yeah, I stand by the nanny state charge.

July 1, 2009 at 1:29 p.m.

• Mike wrote:
    "That's a loaded question because 'liberty' is subjective."

Only to a Democrat.

July 1, 2009 at 1:26 p.m.

• That's a loaded question because "liberty" is subjective.

July 1, 2009 at 1:01 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

July 1, 2009 at 12:58 p.m.

• Mike...When was the last time YOU remember congress passing a law that INCREASED your liberty?

July 1, 2009 at 12:50 p.m.

• Wayward
    Losing one’s liberty is subjective… Putting the word “every time” in caps , does not make it a truer statement…. It’s just your opinion… I’m sure you have people that agree with you but don’t include me in that group.

I believe very much in the FDA in their effort to protect and promote the nation’s health…. Are they the infallible? No, but I would be more fearful it we were to allow the pharmaceuticals to put their product out on the market without FDA testing.

I believe you still have the right to use Tylenol and stockpile any your friends and neighbors will let you have… A nanny state? A bit of a stretch ,don’t you think?

You have a insatiable hate for government that I’m pretty sure is not mainstream.

How did we get to government? The blog started out by debunking the ACORN myth, that it took off to the subject the posters wanted to talk about.

July 1, 2009 at 12:42 p.m.

• Mike..."I’m not cozying up to the Federal government nor are they my mortal enemy"

Perhaps not, but remember that EVERY TIME congress passes and the president signs a bill into law someone loses some more liberty. I'm sure you've seen that the bureaucrats at FDA are wanting to pull Tylenol off the market because some people have overdosed on an ingredient. Score one more for the nanny state. In a country of 300 million people there is going to be someone who is allergic to and may die from almost anything you can name. Do we empty the shelves of everything to protect everyone? It seems that the only thing the government isn't eager to protect us from is ....... government.

July 1, 2009 at 11:55 a.m.

• Choices, by who, the government or the American taxpayer? The Dem's are moving the USA more toward socialism w/out a doubt.

Norman Thomas, was a leading American Socialist, pacifist, and six-time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America. He was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1911. As a candidate for President of the U.S., Norman Thomas said, in a 1944 epoch speech; "The Aerican people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "Liberlism", they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happen.." His son Evan Thomas, a big time Obama supporter..

July 1, 2009 at 11:15 a.m.

• Wayward
    Thank you very much for being honest.

I have the same feelings about the Data Mining used by our government. As I recall the whistleblowers have come out and told us that Bill Clinton e-mails were viewed by employees, and our soldier’s overseas calls to their spouses were intercepted and the pillow talk was passed around for enjoyment. …. I understand the president has tried to be more restrictive but he has not gone far enough. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama passport information was looked at my contract employees.

I don’t know the percentage of useful information in the census questionnaire but I will comply.

I’m not cozying up to the Federal government nor are they my mortal enemy…. There is another choice wayward.

July 1, 2009 at 10:35 a.m.

• Mike...I, for one, was poppa oscared about the questions on the census forms for the past several census periods. Only once did my wife and I get the "long form" but it was outrageous. I did answer all the questions -- some more honestly than others -- because I didn't (still don't) have the resources to resist and pay the fines and lawyers.

I was against the Patriot Act and warrantless wiretaps against CITIZENS from the first. It treated CITIZENS as suspects, as criminals, with no basis in fact. It treated CITIZENS worse than it did the people who attacked us on 9-11.

You're right about a large part of it being about BO, but far from all. I don't trust the federal government BECAUSE they have all that information you mention in their databases and they can't or won't protect it and keep it private. They have no need for probably 95% of the information they have in dosiers on private citizens in this country. In the Washington DC area, every phone call is monitored by the NSA for "national security" reasons. When I lived in Houston, a nursery owner was found with a large amount of cash on him at IAH when he was going through security for a flight to Florida. The government confiscated the money and he had to sue in court to get it back. The feds claimed that they confiscated the money because it was likely that it would be used in drug transactions. Mind you, they didn't know and couldn't prove that what he was going to do -- they just thought it was likely.

Mike, you can cozy up to the federal government if you want to, but remember this: They are not your friend. Some people keep pet rattlesnakes, but they're liable to get bit sooner or later.

July 1, 2009 at 10:12 a.m.

• Wayward
    This was an all this was equivalent to an open book test, the answer was in the link I provided.

Actually, the Constitution, under Article 1, Section 2, simply requires that an "enumeration" be done every 10 years to apportion the members of the House, but that it be done "in such manner" as Congress "shall by law direct.

The constitution does not provide for it the United States Air Force, but we have one and on and on and on. IMO…. This is about Barack Obama because I if you were to take an objective look at all the players involved , like Fox News, Michelle Bachmann, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity and all the rest of the right wing ideologues pushing this noncompliance, it’s pretty easy to come to that conclusion.

Where was the outrage in the year 2000 ,over the census? I think everyone went along with the Patriot Act and domestic spying, but now they are drawning a line in the sand over 28 pages of questions…. Your 1040 asks for more intrusive questions than the census, and the same applies for the application for Medicare and Social Security.
    You can never accuse conservatives of being the sharpest crayon in the box, but they seem to be paranoid. Every week, every day, every month, it’s Obama is taking our guns away, intruding into our life, not being tough enough, being too tough, taking the taxpayer's money for night on the town, but they remain silent when Governor Sanford uses the taxpayers’ dime to pay for a rendezvous in Argentina.

BTW they can pretty much fill out their questionnaires by asking your neighbor the probing questions such as how many bathrooms you have, how many live in your household, and how many vehicles you own… This Federal government, the people are so scared of, has your Social Security number so if they really wanted to probe into your business,they can.

July 1, 2009 at 9:40 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

July 1, 2009 at 9:11 a.m.

• Legion...You're right. They're not gonna check the answers. And note that all the answers to the interested parties can all be found in the number of people living at a particular address. They need nothing else.

July 1, 2009 at 8:42 a.m.

• Just BS em' , what are they going to do? Get a search warrant to insure you answered truthfully?

All joking aside, the only people that are really interested in the census are,

1. Politicians running for state or federal legislative positions.
    2. Cities and states looking for federal funds.
    3. People that can brag about how much there city has grown to show they are doing a great job as a paid or elected local official.

Ok, Ok, I know it is in fact important, but really why do they need to know how many rooms are in a house, or how many TV's, or computers, or toilets?

June 30, 2009 at 7:05 p.m.

• From Article I, Section 2 of the Constitution: "The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct."

Mike, looks like the conservatives are right this time. The Constitution calls for an enumeration -- that is a count -- not a statistical analysis of the people. It also ONLY calls for a count. There is NO Constitutional requirement for all the other questions the feds ask. They have NO right to any information other than how many people live in your home. Wanting to know how many toilets you have, for example, is none of their damn business.

June 30, 2009 at 5:50 p.m.

• Sorry but I am a longtime follower of politics… True, The bogeyman (also spelled boogyman, bogyman, boogieman, boogey monster, or boogeyman) is a legendary ghost-like monster.

But Lee Atwater (predecessor to Karl Rove) was called the boogie man in a documentary that described his fear mongering tactics….I have used variations of that word on occasions…Aren’t you glad you asked?.:-)

June 30, 2009 at 1:36 p.m.

• Last comment removed to make changes. Mike, you have my "curious" (not curiosity, I'm not THAT curious) stirred up. Where all do they say "bogeyman" instead of "boogieman"? Did you ever see a kid eatin' BOGERS instead of BOOGERS?

June 30, 2009 at 12:51 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

June 30, 2009 at 12:43 p.m.