Comments

• Basically what you are saying:
    1) We have a lot of waste.
    2) Procedures are expensive.
    3) Some people don’t pay.

All true and valid points but I happen to think we can find an answer but it will take tearing down some walls.

1) Some say it will cost too much to fix...Huh? It already costs $2.4 Trillion dollars a year.
    2) Let’s expose the waste and the fraud.
    3) A large number of healthy single people do not pay for health insurance because they do not need it…One auto accident.

This morning I heard the mayor of San Francisco say his city is the first in the entire nation to have universal health care….I am going on line to read about their plan.

Today the president will conduct a health care summit inviting; some of the people responsible for derailing Hillary’s health care plan will be in attendance…Bring them all to the table.

March 5, 2009 at 10:10 a.m.

• Well Mike , kind of picky on your own part there......

Health care, that is a big problem and frankly I don't have a solution, I honestly believe no one does.

When a aenethisilogist  sp. (gas passer), chargers more than the surgeon does for a operation, that's a problem.

When it takes a ekg, lung x-ray, blood tests, ect. ect. before your broken ankle can be operated on, that's a problem. It's broken, fix it!!!!!
     IF your body doesn't happen to pass those tests does that mean they won't fix it? That's a problem.

When you spend a grand total of 1 (one) hour and 15 (fifteen) minutes for a sugery in a "out patient" surgery center and they charge $2100.00 ( two thousand one hundred dollars), that's a problem.

When a mother goes to the hospital because labor pains are starting, and she spends a grand total of 26 hours in said hospital, the baby never even goes to the nursery  it's healthy, and they charge over $14,000.00 (fourteen thousand dollars), that's a problem

God forbid if you hurt yourself while doing yard work, bad cut ect. You get to sit in the waiting room for up to 5 hours while a lot of people ahead of you are there for , oh say, a cold?, ear infection?, stomache ache? even when you have insurance, that's a problem.

Then you get the freakin ER bill, you have waited 4 or 5 hours, another hour or two for treatement( once they finally look at you), and they charge you $450.00 ( four hundred fifty dollars). That's a problem. ( And they try and double bill your insurance), a much bigger problem,

Meanwhile all the colds and tummy aches have been treated before you, and those patients DON'T HAVE INSURANCE and DON'T PAY A DIME. That's a problem.

Enough said.

March 4, 2009 at 7:28 p.m.

• Picky ,pickey....Is that all you got?....Bush is gone and will forever be known as incompetent.

March 4, 2009 at 6:13 p.m.

• 5 days posting of any bill before I sign it. Any questions? Comparing stock market to a political poll. Bush wouldn't be called any idiot for the same comment?

March 4, 2009 at 6:05 p.m.

• This what I said and my apologies for not completing my sentence.
    Of course the same old socialize medicine and” illegal immigrants want your health benefits”
    Now I see what you meant...I never meant to disregard any abuse or solution but I see how it could be taken that way.
    I stated in the forum but I meant to say it was an excuse not to come to the table....With 7.2% and climbing unemployed,health care should come to the forefront just to treat the stress related problems....As I have said I am a compromiser, let the Republicans give up something and the Dems likewise but come to the table and bring all those that will be involved.

March 4, 2009 at 4:42 p.m.

• You are absolutely right.  I agree that there are other problems with health care.
    But you stated that it was a myth, lie or distortion handed down to the American public by the big bad conservative to claim that free health care is provided to Illegal immigrants, which it is.  Yes 47 million are without health care and that is a huge burden on our system not designed to handle that many "free loaders", but say if we could drop that by about 15 million (estimated number of illegals), that could greatly ease the cost that the tax payer is asked to make up.  And yes it is a 50 state problem, in that people from all 50 states are asked to pay the tab.  I wont even bother looking up actual facts and statistics about states with struggling health care costs, but rather I just assume and most probably be right in saying that the states worst off are California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas.  If I am wrong I will be greatly surprised.

March 4, 2009 at 4:25 p.m.

• Bighorn
    Tax cheats, swindlers, perverts, are also among the electroate....Why should we elevate politicians above human being?
    Obama does not have to lie to push his agenda,he has the house and the senate...Can you name a specific lie,or is that just a matter of fact statement,without any real meaning?

March 4, 2009 at 3 p.m.

• True cspitt, you have to have offer, facts, statistics and solutions based on data gathered from Hawaii to New Hampshire. This is a 50 state problem.
    I happen to think we treat the symptoms rather than the cure because our preventive care is lacking because 47 million are without insurance. If we have a private sector solution, then let’s implement it…I think more electronic recording keeping, more generic drugs, importing drugs from Mexico and Canada will also bring down the rising cost of health care. I think we need to revise the Medicare Part D….And we haven’t even addressed Medicare yet.
    I never said going after the abuse of our health care system is racist,but lets go after all the abuse like insurance companies,oversight panels,hospital and doctor overcharges, and frivolous lawsuits...Don't be a one trick pony.

March 4, 2009 at 12:15 p.m.

• The right wing will only go unheard in their case for health care as long as they offer no facts and statistics to back up their claims.  And as long as it is considered racist to categorize or document patients by race and citizenship the truth will forever be DISTORTED.
    The cause of our health care or any government aid program is as clear as day to the people who work there and see it every day, but as long as cases aren't documented by race or citizenship, the people will never get the whole story.

March 4, 2009 at 11:53 a.m.

• cspitt,
    I heard the CEO of Duke Energy explaining his concerns about the present “cap & trade policies” and what needs to be done to implement them. I also read an article in Business Week that said the chemical industry is ready for a cap & trade policy but it wants more details and they want a permanent solution because of the expenses in complying. Those opposing this policy do not get it…Reduce the pollution and you will pay less and have enough credits to make a profitable trade..It’s not all negative and the kinks need to be worked out.
    We have to stop using China as an excuse for inaction…Like the Tom Friedman example I gave…..Come up with the green innovation the world is clamoring for, and China will come on board…Wal-Mart is a good example, they have taken green steps in modernizing their plants and fleet of trucks and they expect vendors that deal with them; to do the same…NYC is requiring all their cabs to be high mileage vehicles.
    The right-wing will go unheard in the health care discussion if they continue to use the illegal immigrates as an excuse not to come to the table…..65% of Americans are ready to have this discussion.

March 4, 2009 at 10:38 a.m.

• Mike,
    On the Cap and Trade issue, this area will be greatly affected almost immediately by such an increase as they propose.  Every production plant in the gulf coast area has to abide by the Cap and Trade.  If they are forced to decrease emissions then they will have to decrease production and ultimately decrease profit.  Right now there is now money for these companies to spend to try to "clean up" their current way of making product.  Changes in these processes are extremely expensive to make and even if changes could be made, further production may not be profitable enough to bother with.
    Like Alton was saying about China, what does it matter if we reduce CO2 emissions by 10% in our country,  Third world and developing countries are spilling out pollution like its going out of style.  A reduction to our pollution output is a drop in the bucket in the global scale.  So until the rest of the world is expected to give even the smallest regard to the environment why should we bother with the possibility of job loss and possible abandonment of domestic companies.
    And on Health care, you must be absolutely clueless.  Illegal immigrants want and do get our health care.  Ask anyone working in a hospital how it really works.  Yes it has to be an emergency room care, but what constitutes emergency room sickness.  Doctors cant turn you away from there.  My mom has worked as an RN at Wharton hospital for 30 years and she tells me all the time the reason our health care system is screwed up.  She has seen it first hand working in the labor and delivery and in the emergency room.  Illegals and uninsured come in and drop out baby after baby all on Medicaid (that means for free).  And in the emergency room they come walking through the door knowing they cant be turned away with minor health problems.

March 4, 2009 at 9:08 a.m.

• I guess this goes along with overstatements, distortions, dishonorable statements , and lies of the current administration. What excuse will the O team come up with to push their agenda next.
    Are there any honorable leaders in our political system, on any side? We are now lead (and have been) by tax cheats, swindlers, perverts, and all manner of scroundrel......what is our future?

March 4, 2009 at 8:42 a.m.

• On that we agree Alton

March 3, 2009 at 7:59 p.m.

• Mike, I do appreciate you pointing out the money will be spent on an historical rail line. I for one never did believe the brothel comment.  But I guess it managed to achieve its goal of keeping the stimulus bill in the news.  What is done is done, we all have to live by the decisions of our elected officials.  Time to move forward.

March 3, 2009 at 6:35 p.m.

• Hello Alton
    I did not mean Obama is literally passing legislation but right now he has the green light and veto power..I meant he has very little resistance …BTW Obama made Pelosi back down on her stimulus proposals (although she is the speaker of the house) but he might live to regret that.
    Interesting that you bring up China….In his bestselling book “Hot, flat and crowded” Tom Friedman was lecturing China on CO2 emissions until a spokesman for the government said “You have polluted for years, now it is our turn.” Tom looked at him and said" I agree but we are going green and we will sell our green innovations to you, when you come begging.” The Chinese have thought long and hard about that and are starting to clean up their act and perhaps they will finance the next green innovator because we are not taking the serious steps…That book stated that China will have more cars than the United States in 15 years but I agree they have a long way to go in cleaning up their environment…Remember the scene from the Olympics?
    I do agree Obama is his own man and I think he will own up to his mistakes . He will make many because he is human.
    I have never written my congressman but I knew it was a useless and a waste of time.

March 3, 2009 at 5:19 p.m.

• Interesting, I must really have missed a lot in the history, civics, government classes I took in school and college.  I always thought that legislation came from the Congress and Senate, and the President approved or vetoed the legislation--except when the President veto was overridden by a 2/3 rd's majority.  So I should ignore my elected senator and congressional representative, and send my letters, emails, and President Obama.
    Mike,  I agree there are many  myths, lies, and distortions going around.  I really don't see them going away.  I believe they have became more prominent since the assassinations that occurred in 60's.  After all many of them are repeated by many major news media providers.  And are you not also guessing on reason that President Obamo's administration agenda is related to President Bush's administration.  Personally, I believe President Obama is his own man, and owns the decisions he makes.
    I  laugh when I see projections about 50 years from now. The USA may not even last 50 years.
    I guess I will never get use to ideal of taxing carbon emissions.  It appears to me it will be destructive to what remaining industry there still is in the United States.  According to lifescience.com China is not the worlds largest polluter.  I doubt they will attempt to limit carbon emissions.

March 3, 2009 at 5:01 p.m.