Comments

• Alton, you are being evasive because I know you know better.
    I did not label any group racists, but they might be..I like to think it is more generational….Yes, social conservatives are older white males for the most part…Rush Limbaugh listeners are the old angry white male. In fact an article in Sunday’s Houston Chronicle is what I am referencing.                I was trying to describe “noise level” I used  the squeaky wheel gets the grease ;metaphor.
    I saw a poll that said that social conservatives are about 28% of the population but because of talk radio and Fox, their message is heard loud and clear.
    Every time a documentary or news report about illegal immigration comes on TV, the same old footage of people crossing in from Mexico is shown.
    Again your response is evasive.

March 9, 2009 at 11:27 a.m.

• Mike, what I am hearing in your blog and comments--you believe only social conservatives want to admin the 14th amendment so require at least one parent to be an American citizens for anyone born in the United States to become a citizen at birth. I also, hear you saying this is because of the increase in illegal Hispanics having children born in the United States. Actually it is not an illegal Hispanic issue for me. There are many illegal and legal Asians, Africans, Europeans, Russian, and etc. giving birth to children in the United States. I just do not see where someone on a student visa, vacation visa, or work visa or here illegally should have the right to claim citizenship, because their child was born in the United States, without going through the requirement test for citizenship.

I also hear you saying all social conservatives are white, when you say “your reference is to the white birth rate of 1.0”. The math of 68.5, 84.0, and 106.6 sure falls short of 1,000, but maybe multi-racial/culture birth rates accounted for the remaining 740.9.  I digress.   I also hear you saying that non-Hispanics fear/oppose immigration reform because they are racist; or is it social conservatives? I also hear you saying only the elderly are social conservatives due to remark about 1950.

March 8, 2009 at 12:43 a.m.

• Monica Lewinsky,  Jeff Gannon, etc. etc.

March 7, 2009 at 7:12 p.m.

• Bill Clinton jailed the ones that bombed the World trade center th first time.......Bin Laden is still out there.
    The USS Cole happened the the last two months of the Clinton Administration and the Bush Administration never followed through either..It took 9/11.
    Remember Afghanistan was a response to 9/11 and any one would have taken action to rid the al Qaeda camps.
    legion ,It must be getting late and you are probably tired of debating religion because the Monica reference was pretty lame..You are better than that....:)

March 7, 2009 at 6:47 p.m.

• Mike, I disagree,

IMO Al Gore would have followed the Bill Clinton approach, throw a few cruise misseles at them and called it good.
     But hey when the economies good nothing else matters.

"It's the economy stupid."

Hmm, where do I remember that from.

I just have to say it, might get my whole comment deleted but oh well,..........

Monica Lewinsky turned 34 this week, where has the time gone? seems like just yesterday she was crawling around the oval office on her knees.

lmao

I just had to

March 7, 2009 at 5:49 p.m.

• Hello Alton
    We are the very people Attorney General Erik Holder was talking about when he said “we are a nation of cowards, when it comes to race.”
    If you were born in south Texas, you pretty well know illegal immigration was the norm…It was not until it got to enormous proportions and filtered out to the southern states and the immigrants protested for rights that they did not deserve, did the country take notice…A comprehensive immigration reform package was drafted by John McCain and Ted Kennedy,the senate was making concessions and.the president was ready to sign it…Talk radio delivered a steady daily stream of hate rhetoric and the callers were encouraged to call their representatives with a cry of “No amnesty.”..The white house phone bank was jammed and the bill was killed…U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff tried to broker a deal of 18 months of border security only, but right-wingers would have none of it…They wanted this fight..During the 2008 GOP presidential debates, this was major topic although polls showed that Americans were more interested in the economy and Iraq. The hate rhetoric coming from talk radio angered Hispanics across the nation, although many wanted the borders secured and they showed it at the polls.
    Now that I have drawn this picture; you can see why a certain urge to amended the 14th amendment explains my last paragraph  “I think the social conservatives are having a tough time coping with the makeup of new multi-culture United States..It is not their 1950 United States and with an aging population and a birth rate of 1.0, they are helpless in stopping the trend..All the rest is a smokescreen…IMO
    I even provided the stats.

March 7, 2009 at 4:58 p.m.

• lol,Vet..I was not one of the lucky 5 that bought his book....CD nah,maybe I will watch his movie(I am sure he will get one) but I hope he runs for congress,that will be a trip....Palin/Joe the Plumber 2012..or vice versa ...really doesn't matter...:)

March 7, 2009 at 4:50 p.m.

• Speaking of JTP, Mike, have you run out and bought his book or his new CD?

March 7, 2009 at 4:32 p.m.

• Not hard to forecast what McCain, Palin or Gore would have done, with a high degree of certainty.
    Al Gore would have also destroyed the al Qaeda camps in Afghanistan (that was no brainer) but he would not have taken that detour to Iraq….Joe Liebermann would not have had near the power of Cheney, and Al Gore would have listened to Colin Powell...Iraq was off the radar for pretty much everybody,they were well contained...
    John McCain would have called for a spending freeze, as he is now (as Hoover did) and we would have eventually been in ruins…Sarah Palin did not know anything prior to being nominated, so I don’t have reason to believe she would have had a clue today…Now if you asking about Joe the Plumber, well he would have gone to fist city with the democrats and would have barred the press from covering the white house or the two wars.

March 7, 2009 at 4:27 p.m.

• BigJ ,you keep saying that without elaborating…Nothing is wrong with Conservatism or Liberalism, it was the foundation on what this country was founded on…..Excessive ideology is what give either a bad name…You want every person to maintain their principals, beliefs, and ideas…All you would do is sell them Freedom Democrat ;then eventually ,it would also be rejected.

March 7, 2009 at 4:14 p.m.

• Hypothetical  question vet, like what would Al Gore have done on 9/11 if he would have been president.

We'll never know, even if any of them say now what they would have done, it probably would not have been what they did at the time.

March 7, 2009 at 4:02 p.m.

• Has anyone ever wondered how the "Mavericks" would've handled this crisis we're in?

March 7, 2009 at 3:28 p.m.

• Mike, I appreciate your clarifications.  I own my beliefs and positions.  They have changed from time to time,  when I became more informed on a issue from direct experience or verification of data.
      I  support your right to present your an opposing view of my beliefs and positions.  I contend logical people in a lively debate that have an open mind will come away from the debate with more knowledge and insight on the opposing topic.  Even if they agree to disagree on a particular issue, it will provide them with "food for thought'.  And in many cases they will modify their position.  Rarely are issues simple as black or white.
      I still do not understanding your position their is a new multi-culture trend in America, that is creating conflict problems. Maybe over time as you post more on this topic, I can understand it more clearly.  I just don't see that the breeding habits of the races as creating conflicts in America.  Multi-cultures have been a part of America since the first settlers.  I believe there are only  rare cases of a pure  racial culture anymore, cross marriage of the races have produced a hybrid of the races.  Most scientific research supports my position. My self identity of my multi-racial blood does not define me or dictate my behavior or beliefs.   However, I admit it has affected my positions on demanding equal rights to all citizens.  But it may just be my  "one-sided exaggeration for an ideology you do not like" as you described my beliefs and positions.

March 7, 2009 at 2:30 p.m.

• QUIT LABELLING!

March 7, 2009 at 2:09 p.m.

• Hello Alton
    I can see why you think I am a confused person, but that was not my intention. I took it for grated you could read between the lines and get the bigger picture. My fault, but I don’t adopt a single ideology but I am a committed Democrat. I live in a social conservative city, county, state, so it is much easier to adapt to a label they are familiar with; so we can have civil discussion. I have been doing this all my adult life. I would describe myself as a left of center compromiser but that is not a check-off option.
    Today, the moderate republican or democrat is almost non-existent. America is dead center as far as politics go. Howard Dean, Chuck Schumer, and Rohm Emanuel decided to throw away the playbook of overlooking the red states in 2006. They decided to recruit the blue dog democrats (Conservative Democrats in the south) to get the majority they craved for. Now, Nancy Pelosi has to make deal with the blue dogs, every time she wants to pass a major piece of legislation. Check and balance within the same party. On the other hand Republicans are sticking to their core base ideology, and they are at 26% approval with no real say on policy matters.
    I am reluctant to discuss the liberal point of view with someone as passionate as you are about the second amendment. I do not have the level of fear you do, perhaps that’s because I have always lived in a city and have never been a victim of a burglary or assault and I have a lot of confidence in 911......I do not think a lot of people share your view.... This is the reason why.
    Over two-thirds recognize in the language of the Second Amendment a right to bear arms. At the same time, by 56 percent to 37, people believe controlling gun ownership is “more important” than the right to own guns.
    As a result, most Americans — including Southerners, Westerners and rural voters — support a series of common-sense guns laws like banning military-style assault weapons, outlawing cop-killer bullets and using background checks and waiting periods to keep guns out of the hands of kids and criminals.
    Many pointed to the assault weapons ban as a central cause of Democrats’ 1994 debacle. Yet 64 percent of gun-owning households nationwide favored banning assault weapons, as did 68 percent of West Virginians and South Dakotans, 71 percent of Arizonans and 65 percent of North Carolinians.
    During the debate on the so-called “gun show loophole,” our own work revealed 82 percent of South Dakotans favored closing it by requiring “everyone who buys a gun at a gun show to undergo a background check.” Eighty-seven percent of Iowans and 83 percent of North Dakotans agreed.
    You are one of the main reasons I wrote my blog. I wanted to present another side other than your one-sided exaggeration for an ideology you do not like.
    No human being likes partial birth abortion...Liberals want the "life of the mother" clause inserted into every abortion bill...Justice Stevens intentionally left it out on the last partial birth decision. I know the "life of the mother" is rare but it should be an option...Bill Clinton would have signed the bill years ago but social conservatives wanted to push the issue, and use it as a political football.
    I support the constitution and I refer you to this reason on Prayer in school
    In the United States, public schools are prohibited from sponsoring religious observances such as daily prayer. The legal basis for this prohibition is the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, which requires that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." " (Originally, the amendment applied only to the central government, but the Fourteenth Amendment had the effect of applying it to all levels of government.) Prayer itself is not forbidden while at school. Regarding the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment, the courts have consistently ruled that students' expressions of religious views through prayer or otherwise cannot be abridged unless they can be shown to cause substantial disruption in the school
    Again on the 14th amendment…I support the constitution as is and I do not think we should amend the constitution just to bring the full brunt of our government on innocent American citizens for the whim of a few....BTW Anchor baby is a derogatory[1][2][3] term for a child born in the United States to immigrants or other non-citizens, regardless of the immigration status of the parents.
    in a November 19-21 2004 USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll, only 31% favored an amendment abolishing the "natural born" clause, and 67% opposed it.
    Liberals want blanket citizenship? Democrats,liberals want a comprehensive immigration reform bill.
    Your points on individual polluters are well taken but I think it because of ignorance more than anything else. California and the Pacific Northwest have taken steps to stop individual pollution with legislation…I seriously doubt such legislation would pass in Texas.
    Alton, I meant the white birth rate is at 1.0 or in another way White non-Hispanic Americans had 68.5 babies for every 1,000 women last year, according to the report, as against 84.0 for black women and 106.6 among Hispanic women.
    Population growth is fastest among minorities, and according to the United States Census Bureau's estimation for 2005, 45% of American children under the age of 5 are minorities.[15] In 2007, the nation's minority population reached 102.5 million.[16] A year before, the minority population totaled 100.7 million. Hispanic and Latino Americans accounted for almost half (1.4 million) of the national population growth of 2.9 million between July 1, 2005, and July 1, 2006.
    This is way I think the culture war is happening as I described in the last paragraph of my blog.

March 7, 2009 at 10:49 a.m.

• Mike, you are a confusing person. In your profile you state you are not a liberal, yet in this blog you state you are.
    According you individuals can only be a moderate if " they do not care about the day-to-day political process at all".  And your statement "They will normally vote for a candidate they feel comfortable with, regardless of party affiliation or ideology", sounds more like an independent to me than a moderate.  Guess one could argue they are one and the same, if we eliminate moderate Democrat or moderate Republican.  And I am a citizen that oppose political parties failure to seek compromise for the benefit of the citizens.  I also oppose a single party rule, because only the citizens loose and only the politicians win.
    Liberals will never understand the belief that the ready access to firearms and ammo is the fourth balance of power. liberals will never understand that ready access to firearms and ammo is the first and last defense of citizens against a tyrant government.  Liberals also, do not seem to understand that it is a dangerous world we liver in and the first line of defense is self protection.  I refuse to be a victim because I failed to have a firearm.
    Liberals can not understand that many citizens find it an invasion of their  rights to deny them to openly  pray in school, at graduation commencements, or have school religious clubs.  I recall the day that students were released from school because of the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Principle leading a prayer for our country.  Today, it would against the law.  I recall when President Kennedy was shot and our Principle lead us in prayer for him, his family, and the country. Today, it would be against the law.  Even a moment of silence has been outlawed.
    Liberals oppose eliminating "anchor babies" from the Constitution and support blanket citizenship of all current illegal aliens.  Attend the national democratic party convention and you will quickly be taken off of committees if you do not support this position.  Been there, done that.
    When liberals say a woman always have the right to choose concerning abortions, create problems for many citizens. Many citizens do not support  a woman's right to choose a partial birth abortion of a healthy baby, unless her life is in immediate danger.
    On the issue of environment.  I find the everyday citizen a major polluter, regardless of their political beliefs.  They purchase and use toxic cleaning compounds and products.  Citizens like white products, white disposable diapers, toilet paper, coffee filters, facial  tissue, and etc.  White paper products produced using toxic chloride--toxic to water and air.  Citizens like green lawns free of insects and they pollute with fertilizers and pesticides.  I could write a short book giving additional examples.
    Mike, the only new cultures I am aware in America are increased influence of the Muslim culture.  Guess some individuals would add new citizens from China and some others.  And I really would like to see the data showing the birth rate in the United States is 1.0. The last time I looked it was over 2.0 due to baby bloomers having more children. With a birth rate of 1.0 the country would be having a major shrinkage in population due to deaths from disease, accidents, and aging.

March 7, 2009 at 1:10 a.m.

• No Victore, I did not misunderstand your point at all….You are saying left-wing liberals are bad and I guess conservatives have instant credibility…I am used to that rhetoric, hear all the time on Hannity,Rush, Fox etc.
    The stock market (which is not a good economic barometer today) started its downfall from a high of 12,000 in 2007…You see until we hit bottom, we cannot gage the economy by the stock market ,but we have other variables like unemployment of 8.1% ,bankruptcies, inventories etc.
    I have watched documentaries on this economic crisis and Barney Frank and Maxine Waters had nothing to do with it…..Wall Street, major banks ,predatory loans, credit default swaps,AIG, and bond rating companies had more to do will our economic collapse than anything.
    Jon Stewart described it to a tee….We bailed out the banks, who gave the bad loans; bailed out AIG who insured the bad loans…We paid for the bad loans..TWICE…J
    I am 63 years old, I didn’t grow up rich and I lost over $16,000 while Bush was still in office but I don’t blame him.
    But believe what you want.

March 6, 2009 at 6:03 p.m.

• Hey Mike,
    you misunderstood my point that I was trying to make.
    Obama, found the right time to push his agenda on the American people. Obama is a far left person, fact: he was the most liberal senator in the senate, that has not changed, Pelosi & Reid are the most hard core liberals in the U.S. Congress.
    Fact: Barney Frank, Maxsine Waters stated there was no problem with Freddie Mac & Fannie Mae, look at where we with those folks.
    Dems toke over congress in 2007 stock market has continued to fall, this is not all of G. Bush's fault, there were warning signs given, Dems said no problem.
    Fact: Unions have destroyed the auto industry.
    The $5000 I was speaking of, we would have been better off with cash money than starting new social programs, that money would have stimulated the economy.
    Note: Mike, I was brought up in the 50's & 60's, I came from a very poor family, I worked hard to put myself through college, didn't have one dime given to me. Point, I have worked hard all my life to have something along with a nest egg, and now Obama wants to take more of what I have worked so hard for, well that will not happen as long as I have a voice. Yes, we are headed into socialism weather you believe are..
    Mike, I could go and on, but I want, but I do feel the we can agree to disagree..

March 6, 2009 at 5:39 p.m.

• Hello wayward wind
    These beliefs have been held by the left all along ,but are never heard because the right is so adamant and sometimes outright paranoid about losing their gun rights…It’s too late to put the cork back on the bottle…The Federal Government is in the game since the Federal Gun Control Act of 1968, so lets just enforce the laws on the books and not add any new ones.
    The old editor (Pat Bean) once wrote that if Roe v Wade were to be kicked down to the states nothing could prevent the federal government from implementing birth population laws like they do in China...It could have a reverse clause but Roe v Wade prevents that….Let’s retry it if you wish, but that’s the reason women vote for democrats…This has been a political football for over 36 years.
    I am not against prayer in school per say, but I think  Baptist v Catholic counterproductive arguments could break out and besides we have multi-culture country now, although over 80% are Christians..A silent prayer will still be tolerated but let’s teach math and science…That’s the priority.
    I believe the same on capital punishment.
    Let’s continue improving the environment...Amen.
    I am against amending the constitution…The 14th amendment does not merit amending and I cannot see any legislator (that wants to win), submitting a bill and getting it passed. Especially in the next four years.
    Affordable health care for all is a must..Private sector is not stepping up to plate, but maybe now they will come forward and participate in a give and take session.
    I am way beyond that racist BS because I have called Michael Steele an idiot and I do not think he is qualified to be the leader of the RNC…I can supply his rhetoric to support my claim…I don’t make racist claims and I condemn others that do, so I am not worried about being called a racist.
    As I have said many times, I really don’t care if anyone dislikes or criticizes Obama, but if posters are exaggerating or lying, I will point that out.

March 6, 2009 at 5:09 p.m.

• Hello Victore
    I will try to take on your point’s one at a time.
    1)84 % of the American people know that Barack Obama inherited this economic mess.
    2) We have 535 legislators, 9 Supreme Court Judges to prevent any Hitler like takeover…I have a belief in our legislative, judicial, and executive branches.
    3) On one point you said our constitution was not designed for all these social programs but I guess it is designed to give you $5,000.
    When Ronald Regan came in after the Carter financial disaster, it took him 18 months to turn the country around…..This time, it is a world financial crisis and we are the driving engine. March 20, 2009 will be Barack Obama’s second month in office.
    You would have a better argument saying the Obama administration and Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner have failed in their attempts in reviving the banking system causing the credit crunch and consumer confidence to be a major problem.

March 6, 2009 at 4:33 p.m.

• Mike...Why are you and I at each other's throats all the time?  After reading this post, you don't sound like a wild-eyed liberal crazy person.
    My thoughts on:
    Gun Control.  I agree with you that COMMON SENSE laws need to be enacted for large cities.  The problem is that the federal government doesn't know how to do that.  They pass a law in Washington and it's the same for San Francisco and Butte.  Let the states pass the laws they deem best for their citizens and keep the feds out of the debate.
    Abortion:  I believe that Roe v Wade was decided wrongly -- only to the extent that it again places a one size fits all law on the entire nation.  My personal opinion is that a woman should always have the final say as to whether she carries a pregnancy to term, but I believe that state legislatures should be able to better pass appropriate laws for the citizens of each state.  I understand that bible belt states would probably have more restrictive laws than, say, California.
    School Prayer:  I went to school in the '50's and '60's.  The only prayer we ever had was before a football game.  However, we didn't have violence problems in school either.  The worst were fistfights, usually over a girl.  I am personally opposed because I don't think captive audiences -- like kids in school who can't leave -- should be forced to participate.  Kids should be able to have a moment to themselves if they wish.  God doesn't need an amplifier for him to hear a person's prayer.  I also understand that as long as there is algebra, there WILL be prayer in school.
    Capital Punishment:  I'm all in favor as long as we are sure the right person is being executed.  I want him to have more than a "fair" trial; I want him to be absolutely proven guilty before we give him the needle.  I like the fact that Texas finally has life without parole.  This gives the chance to correct possible mistakes.  I do believe that innocent people have been executed because of over-zealous prosecutors and ineffective defense council.
    Environment:  I can handle some polution in water and air.  I don't think it is reasonable to force businesses to spend themselves into oblivion to make the air and water as pristine as when the Pilgrims arrived.  Great strides have already been made.  I can look at the Golden Triangle of Texas where I grew up and see the cleaner air.  Fish have returned to the Houston Ship Channel.  Industry and the environment can co-exist but people running the businesses must be responsible.  Harsh penalties must be given those who deliberately dump poisons for profit.
    Illegal Immegration:  Jeeze, I don't know.  There's not a good answer.  The biggest problem with illegal immegration is the absolute disaster that is Mexico.  They should be a prosperous country but aren't.  I don't blame people for wanting to go where they can provide a better life for their families, but I absolutely insist that people who move here for that better life become citizens and transfer their allegience to the U.S.  If they can't or won't, send'em back.  I think the 14th Amendment should be amended to provide that citizenship is only conferred at birth to people who have at least one parent who is already a citizen.  I agree that employers who ignore laws against hiring illegals should be penalized severely.
    Health Care Reform:  I would deny all but emergency government paid health care to illegals.  I would not like to see the government involve itself in health care.  I prefer insurance but understand that all don't have it.  I would like to see private insurance provided universally rather than government paid care.  I don't have the foggiest notion of what kind of legislation would achieve that, though.  Somebody smater than I will have to find a way, but I believe a way can be found.
    I absolutely want the federal government to play as small a roll in the private lives of citizens a possible.  This is my main complaint about Obama.  I believe that he wants government to be involved in everyone's life to the extent that it would tell us whether we can have sugar and cream in our coffee.  I believe that he wants to see government take away our freedoms to the extent that we would have issued internal passports so we can be tracked in our travel.  No, I haven't heard him say anything of the kind, but it is what I believe is coming.  I believe that he eventually wants to take every privately owned firearm from citizens.  I believe he would do it in small increments, but I believe that's his eventual goal.  I don't think Obama is any sort of moderate.  I believe he wants to do all this because he really believes it is best for us.  I prefer to decided for myself what is best even if I make a mistake.  I believe that the worst legacy of the slave holding past in this country is that people who describe themselves as liberal don't believe that other people can disagree with Obama politically and philisophically and honestly but believe that any disagreement with the president MUST be because we are racist.  That really poppa oscars me.  As a liberal, you probably don't believe me when I say I don't care about the color of his skin.  MLK said that his dream was that people would be judged not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.  THAT is exactly why I don't trust Obama.  I distrust his character and his motives.

March 6, 2009 at 4:27 p.m.

• There is a much bigger picture as to what is about to happen here. Nancy Pelosi & Harry Reid along with President Obama, have HIGH-JACK the American people with all this debt that our kids along with their grandkids can not pay for. If you take a look back at history our congress is doing what Hitler did in the 1930's when he came to power, " that government will take carre of all the problems," we will feed you give you money make sure you have a job. For those folks that voted for Obama, you think times are hard now, just wait 6-8 months than there will be hard times.. This country and our constitution is not disgned for all these social programs. The truth is, if Obama had taken his so called stimulis plan and gave each American a $5,000.00 check now that would stimulate this country,  instead Obama & Pelosi along with Reid stuck their socialist programs right down the American tax payers throat.

March 6, 2009 at 4:15 p.m.