Comments

• maryann,I put up my blog late yesterday afternoon but not until I read the paragraph where Obama acknowledged the concerns for the ethics of his actions, because I just knew it would awake a sleeping giant like maryann, so I had to be careful, it did not overly arise the ire of those who opposed the action……I did a little research and could not find any, out and out outrage(I may have been on the wrong sites)but I am glad it was just funding, and just for a few lines of cells, he left the rest of hard work of convincing American for future cells; to congress.
    Science is just theories and hypotheses, so it is hard to prove your suspicion.
    I continue to respect your stance, but the decision was not based on the economy, it was a positive by-product…Sorry if my post led you astray.

March 10, 2009 at 3:56 p.m.

• Mike, it doesn't sound right to base a decision on whether to use human life for research on a boom/bust economy IMHO.
    Also, I beg to differ if those embryos did the volunteering or someone did it for them.  Snowflake babies today would rather have their lives, I'm sure, rather than have been used to create a tumor in the Israeli boy's head.  ESCR has been going on for years worldwide, including in the U.S.   Why haven't private groups gone into finance this "miracle cure" if it's so promising?
    I think they want the chumps, that's the U.S. taxpayers, to fund it, because they see how it has NOT produced any results. If it was so promising and profitable, then the pharmaceutical/private medical people would have been all over this.
    I think that an ethical out for embryonic-like cells has been produced, but some professors and scientists ignore it for whatever reasons, probably monetary, and I have suspicions about the other reasons, but that's another blog.

March 10, 2009 at 3:33 p.m.

• Hello maryann
    I think we have already acknowledges our positions and I miss  Mr. Bean..:)
    I heard Rachel Maddow (far left-wing liberal) explain, that these embryos were volunteered (I know your argument about embryo had no say) for ESCR rather than being discarded ;as per procedure..
    With this economy, we simply did not have enough funding to expand this research. The federal grants came at a very opportune time. We need to be realistic (I will read the material you supplied) and realize that the success in using ESC will not be over night, and we will never see the results unless the U.S. government funds and allows the scientist to continue their study without constant political disruption.
    This has is already boosting the California and New York economy.
    Unfettered embryonic stem cell research may take years to cure diseases, but it could quickly boost New York's economy, with millions in federal funds for local research centers, elected officials and scientists said yesterday.

"It's not only a matter of what's right in terms of research and cures for cancers and diabetes. It's also a matter of what's smart in strengthening the economy with new jobs in science and research and medicine," said Rep. Steve Israel (D-Huntington).

As the ethical debate swirls over embryonic stem cell research, supporters of the work are increasingly citing its potential to create high-paying jobs. More than $10 billion of funding to the National Institutes of Health, which will oversee the research, was included in the economic stimulus package.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) said yesterday that curing juvenile diabetes and Parkinson's disease was a "moral imperative" even as she noted that New York has more than 30 biomedical research facilities - including Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory and Stony Brook University - that stand to benefit from NIH funding. "To create jobs in an industry that's growing is an imperative," Gillibrand said.

Well the genie is already out of the bottle on federal funding, but another fight will begin when congress votes to lift the ban on the new embryonic stem cells, but short of a filibuster the democrats should win this battle.

March 10, 2009 at 2:21 p.m.

• Hello Mike,
    You certainly know where I stand on this issue, as this was a big topic for our past opinion page editor.  It always reminds me of the phrase, "Zee patient died, Herr Doktor, but zee operation was a success."  Pardon my German accent.
    Embryonic stem cell research has been going on now for a few years in this country, and also in other countries. So far, even with all the other governments pouring in the taxpayer's money, not one single therapy has been developed to support a sick person with embryonic stem cells. The successes with adult stem cells are pouring in every month- according to www.stemcellresearch.org and other sources.
     The latest report from Israel speaks of ESCR treatment causing tumors in patients: "In fact, during the first six weeks of Obama's term, several events reinforced the notion that embryonic stem cells, once thought to hold the cure for Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and diabetes, are obsolete. The most sobering: a report from Israel published in PLoS Medicine in late February that shows embryonic stem cells injected into patients can cause disabling if not deadly tumors.
    The report describes a young boy with a fatal neuromuscular disease called ataxia telangiectasia, who was treated with embryonic stem cells. Within four years, he developed headaches and was found to have multiple tumors in his brain and spinal cord that genetically matched the female embryos used in his therapy." http://health.usnews.com/blogs/heart-... (US News and World Report)
    Also, from the same recent article, "Why Embryonic Stem Cell Research Is Obsolete:"
    "A second kind of stem cell that has triumphed is an entirely new creation called iPS (short for induced pluripotent stem cell), a blockbuster discovery made in late 2007. These cells are created by reprogramming DNA from adult skin. The iPS cells are embryonic-like in that they can turn into any cell in the body—and so bypass the need for embryos or eggs. In late February, scientists reported on iPS cells that had been transformed into mature nerve cells. "
    Adult stem cell research has provided 73 different therapies to help people with diabetes, heart ailments, auto-immune problems, and on and on.
    I think the ethical problems with killing embryos should lead to the continued experimentation and SUCCESS with adult stem cell research.  According to what I'm reading, using embryos just because we can is not only ethically problematic, but unnecessary and has not lead to one single therapy yet.

March 10, 2009 at 1:46 p.m.

• Lol…Bush would stumble through his prepared speech, smirk, then he would flip the page for emphasis.
    IMO..I would go a step further I would include their immediate family on the “do not treat with findings from ESCR.”
    Old Pat is still in the Nixon years….:)

March 10, 2009 at 10 a.m.

• My take on STR:
    Anyone who is against this stem cell research should sign a card saying if they are sick or injured, they do not want any treatment that has resulted from stem cell research. If they are willing to do that, then they should indeed vote against it.
    About the teleprompters, didn't Bush "read" from index cards?
    Anyone besides me like to see Pat Buchanan's head explode?

March 10, 2009 at 9:35 a.m.

• Great post Beakus
    Concise,witty, on message, and left a proactive message....:)..Thanks

March 10, 2009 at 9:03 a.m.

• That is spooky for Obama...:) Wayward

March 10, 2009 at 9:01 a.m.

• Dang!  BO did something I agree with.  It's almost spooky.

March 10, 2009 at 7:42 a.m.

• Oh boy,  hopefully now we are going to get some things fixed.  Maybe some turnarounds on MS, ALS, or spinal disorders.  I agree that this pres can walk and chew at the same time, but I have finally figured out what causes President Obama to look like one of those little dogs in the car back window with his head going from side to side.  All this time I was wondering if he did not like to look straight at the camera during a speech, and heck if I didn't find out last week he is going from side to side reading two stinking telepromtors at all his televised speeches.  All this time I thought he was some kind of genius.  This will be good training for a future job as a televangelist.

March 10, 2009 at 12:40 a.m.