Blogs » Politcs Plus » Another myth debunked

Subscribe


As the country finally begins a discussion on health care, the environment, the economy and  education, it is very important to sort out all the exhagerrations,myths,distortations, and flat out lies. I will use Factcheck.org and the Kaiser Family Foundation as my source for this myth.

This week Factcheck.org and The Kaiser Family Organization answered the question:

Q.How many of the uninsured are U. S. Citizens?

A. The vast majority of the uninsured are citizens from working families.

The 47 million was taken from a 2006 census report. Today that figure is closer to 45.7 because some went to Medicare.

According to Kaiser, 79% of the uninsured are native born or naturalized U. S. citizens. That comes to 36 million uninsured Americans. The remaining 21% comes out to 9.6 million uninsured legal and illegal immigrants.

Around 60% of Americans have insurance through their employers but more than likely the low-wage workers are not offered insurance. Careful with the wording because those opposing even discussing health care, will try to deceive. For example, 43. % of non-citizens are uninsured versus 12.7 of native-born citizens and 17.6% of naturalized citizens. Saying that non-citizens are more likely to be uninsured is not the same as saying that most of the uninsured are non-citizens. Some will use personal stories to support their claim without any real data.

Non-Hispanic whites make up 2/3 of the population but less than ½ of the uninsured, and they are more likely to have private insurance.

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/

We cannot even begin to talk about ways to make Social Security solvent or prevent Medicare from going broke, without tackling the rising cost of healthcare. Baby boomers (me) are one of the major reasons health care cost are rising, we are getting old, fat, and expensive to keep around but don’t let the myths keep us from trying…It’s a good thing we aren’t horses.

 

FactCheck.org is a nonprofit[1], nonpartisan website[2] that describes its own goal as "[reducing] the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factcheck.org

t Kaiser Family Foundation, is a U.S.-based non-profit, private operating foundation headquartered in Menlo Park, California. Its focuses on the major health care issues facing the nation, with a growing role in global health. The Foundation is an independent voice and source of facts and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the general public.