Comments

• maryann
    The reason I do not have any real rebuttals to your blogs or points of view, is your preparedness.
    You quote from reputable sources…ESCR is a good example…The fact that scientist say that that ESC have some unique properties that need to be explored, is all I have.
    I am sorry but I do not agree with your assessment of Mr. Aparicio column…I just don’t know why a profession, intelligent person would write such a crappy column based on lies, distortions, and flat out lies that can be easily be disproved. If fact they have..In fact I am thinking of a sequel to answer his other questions using factcheck.org to discredit his charges.

March 14, 2009 at 11:08 p.m.

• Tafoer
    We cannot talk to the al Qaeda; they are brainwashed, fundamentalist terrorists…We cannot talk to Hamas or Hezbollah for the same reason.
    The Taliban make up 60% of Afghanistan so we must try to bribe them or be the lesser of two evils and make it clear we will not occupy their country no longer than we need to make sure it is not a safe haven for al Qaeda…General Patreaus wants our troops to protect the civilians, not interfere with Sharia laws, even thou it violates all the human rights that we naturally want to enforce….We are making a deal with the devil but by protecting the civilians, they will be less likely to kill our troops…We are talking to Iran since they helped us we got rid of the Taliban the first time…..War and protecting our troops is never left or right talking points.

March 14, 2009 at 10:48 p.m.

• Mike, I would like few things more on this topic than if Mr. Aparicio would "appear" and you and he could have a well-reasoned, factual, and productive discussion on his column.  Sound like you guys are up on the latest details.
    On these political (non-social issue) matters, per se, I can see the forest, but not the trees, as my interest doesn't carry me in that direction.

March 14, 2009 at 9:50 p.m.

• Just curious Mike, what do you think that the Taliban and Al-Qaida want? What will make them happy? Please, no history lesson, bashing the right, or left talking points. How would you deal with them?

March 14, 2009 at 9:49 p.m.

• Legion357
    You are obsessed with this  but we are still on that budget until Sept. 2009 and I don't know why those on the right cannot understand simple economics...Stimulus = spending ,the worse the economy, the more you need to spend...It is almost stabilizing and the checks are just now getting to the states.
    I think we need another stimulus.

March 14, 2009 at 7:03 p.m.

• Ok Mike, since you did not see it on the other thread, I will post it here.

Comment From: legion357 (Report this comment as a violation)

Fri Mar 13, 2009 17:54:34 CDT
    Mike,

Using the same source you did, if you read ALL of it.........

Funding for Each Operation. According to CRS estimates, Congress has
    appropriated about $864 billion in budget authority (BA) from FY2001 through the
    RECENTLY passed FY2008 Supplemental for DOD, the State Department and for
    medical costs paid by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (P.L. 110-252). CRS
    estimates that this total includes about....

$657 billion for Iraq (76%),
    ! $173 billion almost all for Afghanistan with a small amount for
    other counter terrorism operations (20%),
    ! $28 billion for enhanced security (4%), and
    ! $5 billion that CRS cannot allocate (see Table 1).

SO 657B total from 2001 (thru the bill you used as a example)July 2009, 90 months, let's go ahead and knock of say the 2009 part, 84 months, and let's go ahead a knock off another year just for fun, 72 months, 657,000,000,000. divided by 72 =9,125,000,000.

Even giving some leeway, and using THE SITE YOU REFERENCED, it only comes out to 9.125 billion a month. per month of the Iraq war.

March 14, 2009 at 6:16 p.m.