Comments

• I thought I did...I have no clue what you are talking about? Geanie Morrison & raising tuition at A&M? I really don't care about A&M...I'm a Longhorn.

May 11, 2009 at 9:31 p.m.

• When have I ever used the phrase "pie in the sky"? I have no clue what you are talking about.

May 11, 2009 at 8:30 p.m.

• I'm not scared BigJ...& I do get backlash here. I don't discuss politics with MY FRIENDS because I don't expect MY FRIENDS to believe & think the same way I do.....it has never come up but if it does I'm sure we would be able to agree to disagree if we didn't see eye to eye.

May 10, 2009 at 11:34 p.m.

• Actually BigJ, it was the writer David Ehrenstein from the LA Times who wrote a column titled Barack the magic Negro. The parody’s came later.

May 9, 2009 at 7:53 a.m.

• Actually BigJ, I have lots of black friends....we don't discuss politics, how they vote is not my business & it has never come up, just as how I vote has never come up. I guess we have better things to talk about.....I am not 1 dementional. Actually I dislike talking politics with friends....daddy always said never discuss religion or politics with friends or coworkers, it never ends well.

May 8, 2009 at 6:46 p.m.

• tafoer, I am not BigJ but please allow

I make sure to do my homework before posting and if it turns out to be false, I will apologize but I get tired of being challenged, producing the evidence then the poster that called me out disappears for a couple of days and never responds….My answer from now on..”Is look it up and disprove my facts.’..I am not going to be the only one doing research.

John McCain did not want to inject race into the race but when he got behind (pre-Palin) members of his team wanted to bring out the Jeremiah Wright card again…The Obama team knew this but they miscalculated the sincerity of John McCain ,so Barack Obama started warning his supporters of what was coming down the line…I don’t blame McCain for being angry (since he was taking the high road) and Obama was playing politics….99% of the time Barack Obama stayed away from the race issue unless he had to; like the eloquent speech he gave…We have never experienced a black man having a legitimate shot at being president, so both campaigns were on a learning curve.

As for talk radio…I still say Rush playing “Barack the magic negro” was intended to be racist. Hosts like Hannity, O’Reilly, and Savage; race bait but I blame their guest for taking part in the nonsense…I remember what O’Reilly said about the people of New Orleans….But those are reality shows, shock jock venues that don’t serve a real purpose and I always have an option to watch or listen to something else…You may disagree but that is your opinion and I am exercising mine.

Have a good weekend :-)

May 8, 2009 at 5:42 p.m.

• Well BigJ
    Perry only got 40% last time he ran, and I don’t thing Kay Bailey Hutchison will run for the senate. Why? She is a moderate conservative that is getting tired of Washington…She might run for governor but you probably know more about Texas politics than I do…I don’t keep up that much…Veteran senators do not like minority status, you remember how many GOP senators bailed out last year after seeing the handwriting on the wall.

You are going out on a limb with the former VP…(1)He went out with a 19% approval ,today he is at 16% (2)He will be 69 years old then, with a bad ticker ,I don’t think he would be able to go through a two year campaign (3)The GOP does not want to commit suicide.

If you meant that he will run, then why would he waste his time? He is unelectable

May 8, 2009 at 5:02 p.m.

• Mr. BigJ,

Could you point me to a website where I can see these racial comments you are talking about? I seem to recall Obama making comments about his race, the McCain camp saying he was dealing from under the deck for saying those comments. I take it you are calling the talk show guy racist for bringing up the subject matter Obama started. Help me out as I am perplexed. With all due respect.

May 8, 2009 at 4:53 p.m.

BigJ
    You are historically and factually correct…Hillary Clinton had most of the black vote prior to the Iowa primary because African-Americans believed it was impossible for a black man to be elected president, for good reason…He won Iowa (96% white) and came in a close 2nd in New Hampshire (98% white) to Hillary but when Bill Clinton made the Jesse Jackson remarks in the South Carolina primary, Hillary lost most of the black vote.

I remember having this discussion with you when you said Mississippi and Georgia were in play.

Georgia was closer than expected and Obama being on the ticket helped the Democratic candidate for the senate to have a runoff with Alabama’s favorite Jeff Sessions but that’s it, he eventually lost.

That 75%-25% racial makeup leaves a steep hill to climb….Say that 15% of the low 25% are eligible to vote….You would need 100% of that group and 36% of the white vote to win.

May 8, 2009 at 3:29 p.m.

• As a Democrat I decided to be more “inclusive”, in regards to my lunch. I opted for both the Vulcan and Earthling in my, kids meal.

My wife is one of those that collect beanie babies and stuff; I was forced to order two kids meals to get the stupid collector toys.

However, I had a choice between getting two Earthling figures or one and a Vulcan, I choose to be more “inclusive”. While the Vulcan figure may not have been my first choice, and I still don’t feel comfortable with it, I will give him the chance that perhaps in time he may prove his worth.

Then I’ll sell his butt on “ebay” and tell my wife I forgot were we put him (evil smile).

Hey, wouldn’t it be great if President Obama ended his speeches from here on with the Vulcan hand sign, and the words “live long and prosper”. Somebody ought to email him the idea; it might lighten things up a bit and make him seem more h-u-m-a-n.

May 8, 2009 at 3:04 p.m.

• The Constitutional Party is basically a Libertarian ,anti-government,taxes etc..party.

John
    The Constitional Party has been around since 1992 and the fact that the GOP is in disarray and some like Newt Gingrich is not discounting starting a new party is not a secret. Some in their party want to maintain ““Ideological purity.” …The GOP does not have a political leader that speaks for the majority of the party because Mitch McConnell, John Boehner or Michael Steele are not synched on message….Infighting after two national defeats is normal but the GOP has come back before; in fact the democrats went through the same thing….Those in the party that suggest that the GOP should follow the Democrats model of inclusiveness are ignored or mocked…

Howard Dean, Chuck Schumer and Rahm Emmanuel went out and recruited conservative democrats (Blue Dogs)in the south to at least get a foothold in those areas they ignored in the past.

Legislation might be a start but mailing databases, national committees, political structure and party affiliation (=money) normally keeps a third party candidate at a disadvantage, like in the 5% range, with the exception of Ross Perot.

That’s a good idea …lunch

May 8, 2009 at 12:22 p.m.

• I’ve heard about discussions in confidence concerning a “Constitutional Party”. In fact some state representatives may pass laws making it easier for a third party. Beyond this I will not comment further, if those that know about it want to discuss it that is their business.

Before you tell me anything Mike, It has more to do with the Republicans than us. I’m just bringing it up because I don’t feel I’m betraying the trust of my friend who spoke to me about this, and that it would be appropriate to bring up here

Now I'm going to lunch, bye

May 8, 2009 at 11:50 a.m.

• Hello VBB

I disagree with your political analysis because the racial makeup of North Carolina and Virginia are practically the same, 75% white and 25% black…. But both states have gone from being rural to be urban. The states with large metropolitan areas tend to vote for the Democratic Party.

The political change starts at governor’s office because they represent the needs and want of their state. Texas is a good example, do you think Governor Perry could have gotten away with that secession talk, if he would have been the governor of Massachusetts, Illinois our New York? Mitt Romney is another example; check his beliefs when he was governor of Massachusetts and the rhetoric he is putting out today. The turnaround for Virginia started with Mark Warner and continued with Jim Webb and Governor Tim Kaine.

You tried to simplify it as a black and white issue, but you ignored the political machine of Barack Obama, the endless amount of cash, the recruitment of young voters, and the nation’s desire for change, the new demographics, and the weakness of the republican candidates who lost all four national debates. I could supply more boring data, but you might accuse me of putting too much stock into the reference I cited.

May 8, 2009 at 10:28 a.m.

• North Carolina & Virginia are blue right now because it was Obama running for president....NC & VA are heavily populated with blacks who came out in record #s to vote for a black man. When the next election comes up without a black man those states will turn back to red. This last election was all about history & race & nothing about substance.

And I guess because Scarborough says it, it must be true....he's ab entertainer too correct? As are Jon Stewart & Keith Olbermann, you put too much stock in their OPINIONS.

May 7, 2009 at 7:34 p.m.

• Nothing more than rhetoric for a re-election campaign, geez mike I thought you were above ad Hominem attacks.....

"He also said he knew some gays but he keeps than any from his family....I am going to miss him and so will Jon Stewart...Maybe he will run with Palin or Backmann....Run Joe run."

You go Mike

May 7, 2009 at 7:16 p.m.

• Wow, this is from a Time magazine I am reading..

Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-ME) lamented the GOP’s exclusion of groups like minorities and environmentalists. “Ideological purity is not the ticket to the promised land,” she said, echoing comments her fellow Maine senator Susan Collins (R) made last week. She also complained that, “to the average American,” the GOP is just the party of “Big Oil and the rich“:

Snowe recalls that when she proposed fiscally conservative “triggers” to limit Bush’s tax cuts in case of deficits, she was attacked by fellow Republicans. “I don’t know when willy-nilly tax cuts became the essence of who we are,” she says. “To the average American who’s struggling, we’re in some other stratosphere. We’re the party of Big Business and Big Oil and the rich.

Are they ready to defect?

May 7, 2009 at 5:15 p.m.

• Hello tafoer
    “Let your conscience be your guide.”

But you are a smart fellow and you know what is politically correct and I have never known you to be demeaning…Joe was being interviewed and he had to know the cameras were rolling and whatever he says will be shown on TV…This might be generational for Joe but people will elevate your status just so they can knock you down…..He is not ready for prime time, so people should not have led him on.

A long answer for “I don’t know.”

May 7, 2009 at 4:52 p.m.

• Please allow me to ponder something. If a person was at one of San Francisco’s famous parades, and in the parade were Queer Nation and Dykes on bikes. Would it be wrong of me to say- there go the Queers, or Dykes? I’m just thinking, if they call themselves that, why can’t I.

May 7, 2009 at 4:39 p.m.

• JohnnyHville
    Mickey...mmmmm

I wrote a blog about that ,so you are acussing without any facts ,I summarized the findings of Factcheck.org and it is listed in this this forum under my blog sites...I laid out all the cards.

no understanding of economics and political realities.

You have not impressed me with your knowledge of those subjects.

May 7, 2009 at 4:16 p.m.

• Yea,Vet I guess he saw that 21% and decided to jump ship....Did he ever get his plumbers license? He got a lot more than his 15 minutes of fame.

He said the word "queer" was not derogatory because it is in the dictionary..Keith said "So is yokel."...lol

May 7, 2009 at 4:09 p.m.

• What, did I hit too close to home Mikey? Can't acknowledge your beloved party is rife with fraud (as is the other)? Afraid of a little fact? You clearly are one of these reactionary, pie in the sky answer types, with no understanding of economics and political realities. If you want to talk about Gramm sponsored deregualtion, you must also include the name of the President that signed it. You are in a bad sort of denial.

May 7, 2009 at 4:04 p.m.

• Oh noes, JTP quit the GOP?? Is he mad because he wasn't invited to the pizza party?
    Apology to Rush the Hut in 48 hours.

May 7, 2009 at 4:01 p.m.

• Like I said I do not subscribe to the “if JohnnyHville says it, then it is true” club.

As any political junkie knows, Wall Street and banks hold no political alliance ;so it is not always a tit for tat…Why would Wall Street contribute to 41 senators that are not in charge of any committees?…Got to do more than cut and paste…You have to know that even thou the Dems won the 2006 elections they did not actually fill the seats until mid Jan 2007….The GOP had the house ,senate, and executive branch for at least 8 years of a 12 year run ,with the numbers to ram through deregulation…They did not…The Fed Chairman Christopher Cox and Alan Greenspan have admitted their mistakes…Both republicans..Oh I forgot Phil Graham.

Not your average dummy that falls for the cut and paste..I do my own research.

The far right is tripping over the Independent…Give them enough rope

May 7, 2009 at 3:45 p.m.

• Lol..Point taken.
    “Right now the best thing the Republicans have going for them is President Obama.”…Think so, he is at 70% approval and the GOP is at 21% and dropping…Liberal states are you serious? The GOP is officially a regional party in a multicultural country..They are a southern party minus Virginia and North Carolina.

Ideology was rejected in 2006 and 2008..You have to do more than say “I am a conservative” ,people have access to information and they want results…During the GOP debates the word middle-class was never mentioned ,they were all trying to out Jack Bauer or out conservative each other.

Right now, health care reform is the most important issue…The GOP is just now getting on board and they are using Frank Lutz “words that work” methods to describe a plan they don’t have..Why? Because the reasons of yesterday did not work, socialize medicine and Canada scare tactics did not work…Reason number two…The insurance companies, drug companies and health practitioners are all at the White house conference trying to put a plan together…It would be devastating for the GOP to be left out of the process..The dems have the numbers to it.

Most Americans identify as conservative, ideologically..Show me a poll or better yet I will produce several that state this country has taken a shift…They don’t think government is some evil monster.

For the record..The election I just witnessed went like this.

In the year 2006 the dems took over the house and senate because of the Iraq war and Bush’s unpopularity…Those remained a constant for the 2008 election….A generic democrat could beat a GOP any republican, their own strategist admitted that..People that liked John McCain knew he was 72 years old and they were scared Sarah Palin could become president.. Peggy Noonan and Kathleen Parker to name two.

People like Joe the plumber (he quit the GOP today), Michele Backmann, Sarah Palin, Rush, Hannity and the like appeal to a very small segment of America….

If the president policies do not work then the GOP will gain ground by default since they are now known as the party of “No.”

May 7, 2009 at 3:20 p.m.

• Furthermore, the collapse of the financial industry is a direct result of 1) unreal price appreciation driven up by artificial housing demand, and 2) rapid levels of default on the mortgages supporting the securitized (by mortgages of homes) instruments which is a result of lowered Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac underwriting standards.

The breadcrumb trail leads back to congress, particularly, but not exclusively, into the laps of Democrat leadership.

May 7, 2009 at 3:02 p.m.

• In 2005, McCain and several other Senators and Representatives, on both side of the aisle, were raising red flags as to the extreme real estate appreciation occurring as a result of liberalized Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac underwriting criteria.

They were shot down hard by Representative Barney Frank, (D-Ma), Chairman of the House Financial Services Committee and Senator Chris Dodd (D-CT), the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs; among others (on both sides). However, Frank and Dodd have the ultimate responsibility for Congressional oversight of these two psuedo-government sponsored entities. They failed at such. Not only that, but they both have close ties to these entities, via personal partner relationships with senior executives of such, and/or large campaign contributions.

Top Recipients of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

22. Pelosi, Nancy H D-CA $32,750

23. Reynolds, Tom H R-NY $32,700

24. Hoyer, Steny H H D-MD $30,500

25. Hooley, Darlene H D-OR $28,750

May 7, 2009 at 2:56 p.m.

• Mike,

Why in the world would any Republican take political advice of a Democrat? Nice try, no deal.

Most Americans identify as conservative, idealogically. The problem with the Republican Party was the frustration over McCain and therefore not having a true conservative choice. He was merely liberal lite. Hillary Clinton is more conservative than McCain in many minds.

The Republicans need to revise their primary system and stop allowing liberal states to pick their Presidential candidates. When McCain was top of ticket it was real hard to get motivated to even get off the couch and vote. Top of ticket is critical and McCain hurt every Republican candidate from the Capitol to the Courthouse.

Right now the best thing the Republicans have going for them is President Obama. The next is Joe Biden. God Bless Joe Biden for consistently leaking out the truth about the Adminstration. Go Joe!

May 7, 2009 at 2:44 p.m.

• Mike, the whole deal about Rush leading the GOP was most recently STARTED BY RUSH HIMSELF, around the time Obama was sworn in. It was a big deal on the internet for about 15 seconds. Rush made that statement, CNN ran with it. CNN is known for its liberal slant, and took the opportunity to exploit for the ratings.

"That condescending statement assumes that I am not smart enough to know that…[perception]"

That will be for you to decide. Apparently you do not the source of the whole "Rush is the leader of the GOP" stuff. BTW, ignorance and intelligence are two entirely different things. Ignorance is a product of not being exposed, intellegence is a product of knowing what to do with that you have been exposed to.

In 1993, after the Republicans lost the Presidency and Democrats had control of Congress, various major media outlets were calling Rush the leader of the GOP as a little jab in the side of the GOP. This is when it first appeared.

Supposedly (I don't listen to Rush, even a little), he made a satirical remark on such that he would again be named leader of the GOP. Then, wham, bam, thank you ma'am, CNN is off to the races to see how much shi+ they can rub Republican noses in. The motives behind all this is obvious to those of us who do not have an emotional attachment.

There is an old saying which seems applicable here, "you cannot ever know what color your house truly is, unless you leave it and walk across the street".

May 7, 2009 at 2:43 p.m.

• Rollingstone
    I know you did not mention illegal immigration…Sorry for the misinterpretation (my fault) but I was quoting from a book and it was on a much larger scale.

I think you are describing a chicken or the egg theory…Just because we have good intent (government affordable housing) does not necessary give Wall Street and the banks Carte blanche for their wrongdoing. …Predicable perhaps.

BTW I think Goliadchica said this…”We were living in a bubble and that bubble burst”..Our saving rate today is at 5% ,back then it was less than 1%....So many factors like 30-40 % leverage, deregulation, accounting trickery and credit card debt went into a making of a perfect storm….Citing affordable housing and four democratic lawmakers as the cause for this world wide crisis is simply not believable.

You have your beliefs and I have mine and “Never the twain shall meet.”..

May 7, 2009 at 2:29 p.m.

• I did not say anything about illegal immigration - never mentioned it or any of that other stuff you mentioned. What I said was the concept of "affordable housing" caused our economic situation. Bad mortgages back by the the federal government and given triple A ratings because of that. Yeah dishonest realtors and mortgage companies did most of this.

But it would NEVER HAVE HAPPEN if the the government was not out there trying to manipulate the market - very stupid. So who I blame are the members of Congress who promoted "affordable housing." Now if the names I mentioned did not promote it then I will stand corrected, but I don't think so.

May 7, 2009 at 2:08 p.m.

• I have no position on this, but will issue a “warning” to what is apparent personal misguided prejudice.

Some of Rush’s opinions, and I don’t care if I may call him that, do have ardent supporters among conservatives. Whether these supporters number 1 million or 20 is subject to debate, but regardless they capitulate his more genuine conservative ideals. This means given the opportunity some of his beliefs may be the harbinger of a potential shift in pubic position to government.

A man is minuscule in significance to his beliefs, if others embrace the belief.

Remember the lesson learned from Socrates.

“A man’s belief does not have to be embraced by those in power to out live and have greater influence than those in power; he just has to live by them with all sincerity and they be true.” – John

I want Democrats to always be in a position of relevance, but that has more to do with the decisions we make rather having them followed.

May 7, 2009 at 2:01 p.m.

• JohnnyHville said
    “I could claim to be the president of the United States, but it doesn’t make it true.”

Time magazine is running a story on that very subject. Several media outlets have already done so…Several months ago, CNN ran a segment called “Is Rush Limbaugh the new leader of the GOP?”….The republican guests were scared to answer.

Like I said “in politics, perception is everything.”

Believe what you want.

May 7, 2009 at 1:53 p.m.

• I could claim to be President of the World, but it doesn't make it true.

To say Rush has 20 million listeners is misleading. He may have a 20 million audience, meaning the cumulative number of listeners over a period, which would probably include you and I at one time or another. Or it could mean the cumulative audience the stations with a Rush syndication estimate their listeners at. Heck, it could even be, as you infer, the actual number of people that listen to his show on a regular basis, which I could see people finding entertaining like watching a train wreck is entertaining.

But if he has a true following of 20 million people, which is the sentiment of your post, I would be very very suprised.

I do not see Republicans coming to the aid of Rush either. I did see them coming to the aid of Steele, however, with the most recent of Rush's slander attacks.

As to Colin Powell, he defected from the party during the last election. Would you have expected Republican's to come to the aid of someone they saw as a party traitor?

Johnny the affirmed anti-Rush, slightly to the conservative side, Independent

May 7, 2009 at 1:25 p.m.

• Delusional?
    The GOP chairman (Michael Steele) said Rush was just an entertainer, then had to back off and apologize…Did any prominent republicans come to the side of Michael Steele..Not hardly unless they want to be put on Rush’s list.

As I mentioned in my blog….Eric Cantor said the new GOP group “National Council for a New America” will go on a listening tour, Rush Limbaugh mocked him and said “they should go on a teaching tour, the very next morning Eric Cantor told Joe Scarborough that the group was going on a teaching tour.
    Anyone who has 20 million listeners has political clout and Rush is known to vilify anyone who disagrees with him; like John McCain and now Colin Powell..See any republicans coming to the aid of Colin Powell?....The GOP does not have a leader right now so that leaves a vacuum which Rush is renting the leadership role right now..Maybe.

I didn’t make this up so I guess the ones that believe this; like Ed Rollins, Joe Scarborough, and David Brooks are delusional.
    Perception is everything in politics.

May 7, 2009 at 11:17 a.m.

• "Rush Limbaugh (real GOP leader)"? Please, you are delusional if you truly believe that. That is no different than claiming Obama was born in Kenya.

May 7, 2009 at 10:43 a.m.

• Good morning Rollingstone
    You recently stated (about a month ago on one of my blogs)that republicans and democrats shared blame for this economic crisis but I guess you have found new evidence to lay all the blame on four democrats….This is the type of thinking Naomi Kline describes in her book “Shock Doctrine.”She said we turned deregulated capitalism into a public sector crisis, by doling out $11.5 trillion to the private sector and less than a trillion dollars for public sector stimulus..Rather than show outrage toward the banks and Wall Street for the credit default swaps and other derivatives (in the form of greed) that rage was channeled to government, illigeal immigration, and the poor….Government should have known, unemployment was cause by illegal immigrants and only the poor signed those initial contracts, the banks were always on the up and up…That works on a small segment of our society.

I have never factored in the true cost of the Iraq War because the money, blood, foreign relations, and our ability to handle other situations will not be known for decades. Foreign and domestic spending cannot really be commingled for various reasons. I know Obama entered the cost of the war into his budget but he also had to ask for a supplemental a few weeks after that. Obama’s budget (like any other) is not a promise but more of a proposal based on a projection that can be tinkered with; based on the current situation…You knew that.

You are absolutely right, the democrats are doing very little to curb emissions and that disappoints me…The republicans cannot believe in the science without the risk of getting elected…..Nevertheless, I have been disappointed since Jimmy Carter and other democratic presidents did not follow through on alternative energy plans,..After four and half months the Obama Administration seems to be kicking the energy plans down the road to make room for health care reform…..I understand the president has a lot on his plate right now and I will say once again, if the economy does not show improvement by the end of the year, the democrats will pay the price and the GOP will gain by default because they are not the table right now with any alternative ideas..

May 7, 2009 at 10:24 a.m.

• This economic situation we are in was not caused by Republicans, they had more than enough help from the likes of Frank, Dodd, Schumer, Waters, etc. The Iraq War in terms of monetary cost pales in comparison.

Anyway we will soon see how much the wars are really going to cost - the war costs ($120 billion per year) were suppose to cease in the ten year budget proposal. This was part of the deficit reduction promised in the budget.

And the Democrats believe in global warming/climate change but what they are doing will have little effect on our carbon emissions - their proposals are similar to re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. It will have no impact on the climate but it will impact our economy and our ability to produce energy.

May 6, 2009 at 6:53 p.m.