Comments

• ArchieBonkers- ultimate sacrifice of their son...we are losing men and women in this day. I salute all families that lost ANYONE including the wounded and those that have minds that may never return. SFC Doster RIP my friend. Baghdad-2007

May 26, 2009 at 7:59 a.m.

• My dad got his first purple heart at Iwo Jima and his second at Nagasaki. I still have his original sharp shooter medal. My cousin served in Viet Nam, and I lost several friends during that war. I am reminded that freedom isn't free. The highest cost is in the loss of life. I am proud of this country and take pride in the men and women who have died to preserve our freedom. May God bless their families and friends.

May 26, 2009 at 7:35 a.m.

• A salute to all that have served and are serving our country, my deepest thanks for your sacrifice and your families sacrifice.

To my two relatives from years ago, two brothers who decided to serve on different sides of the war between the states, I salute you.
    To my uncle who flew "over the hump" before 12/7/41, I salute you.
    To my father that was stationed in Pearl Harbor in 1945 and thanks to President Truman lived a long life, I salute you.
    To my oldest brother for his service in Vietnam, I salute you.

And to every person and there families that have sacrificed so much for our country for over 200 years, I salute you.

God bless each and everyone of you.

May 23, 2009 at 3:51 p.m.

• I salute all soldiers who have given their lives for this country. This is one year I won't be able to make it to "The Wall" to visit a couple of my buddies.

May 23, 2009 at 11:40 a.m.

• an uncle of mine was a paratrooper during WW2 after he died I found out that he was a gaurd for General MacArthur in Japan!
    All those years and I never knew this history that he had lived!

May 23, 2009 at 10:50 a.m.

• I salute all the families that gave the ultimate sacrifice of their son for this country. I honor the memory of two family members that gave their lives for us! One on the USS Colorado from a direct hit on the ship in in the Lingayen Gulf. He was buried at sea! The other gave his life in Korea at the age of 20, I think about them always even though I never knew them!

May 23, 2009 at 10:47 a.m.

• Thanks Alton
    It's funny those little tidbits were not that important at the time, but as I reflect , it means a great deal..... Old age I guess.

Have a good weekend

May 23, 2009 at 10:31 a.m.

• Very touching blog Mike, I salute your family for their sacrifice. We need to never forget they are the ones that kept us free.

May 23, 2009 at 10:27 a.m.