Comments

• Her liberalism might just have jackhammered her cement!!!

May 27, 2009 at 9:51 a.m.

• legion357
    You will have to go back and pull up the transcript; there you will see the 29 republicans voted against her. If you will see the line of questioning and the motivations behind them.

I don’t think the next two justices will affect the balance of the court, because justice Ginsburg and Stevens have a so-called liberal voting record. Age and health make them the next likeliest justices to retire.

I do agree that this a very shrewd, calculated political move by the president, but we will have to wait and see what the republican senators do.

Xring
    The fact that Sonia Sotomayor was that the top of her class at one of the most prestigious law schools speaks volumes, especially the road she took getting there. Her qualifications as a lawyer, prosecutor, and judge just cemented her nomination.

May 27, 2009 at 9:38 a.m.

• Mike - I was just curious if you thought she was "qualified" and just happened to be hispanic, or if this pick had more of a political undertone of playing to a culture class.
    X

May 26, 2009 at 7:01 p.m.

• "and the GOP knew Sonia had a great resume so they were tried to block her , early in her career."

????? Now where in the world did that come from?

She was nominated by H.W. Bush and confirmed.

I don't understand how she was "they were tried to block her , early in her career." even applies much less makes any sense.

The point of the whole matter is that her conformation will not change the balance of the court, the next justice will.
    And it seems to me that President Obama knew that she will be confirmed, to put up any serious roadblock against her conformation, the Republicans understand that would further undermine themselves.

A very shewed political move by Mr. President. IMO

May 26, 2009 at 6:54 p.m.

• I hate abolutes. Your statement "With her background as a lawyer, prosecutor, and judge she will go into this nomination as the most qualified person in the last hundred years," is an abolute.

I contend that Earl Warren was more qualified than Sonia Sotomayor. He was a lawyer, district attorney, railroad commissioner, state attornery general, governor, and serviceman.
    He understood the common man and had a boarder background than Judge Sonia Sotomayor.
    Also, Warren E. Burger and must not forget William Howard Taft (lawyer, state superior court judge, solicitor general of US, US judge of the sixth court of appeals, a law professor, governor general of the Phillippines, President of USA).

May 26, 2009 at 6:13 p.m.

• Mike
    and the fact that he won't and affect the balance of the court , that he has been on high on the list for a long long time.... I hope answered your question.

Mike "HE" where in the world are you??

May 26, 2009 at 5:53 p.m.

• Sorry xring
    But I am on my way home for suuper...I jumbled that last paragraph together so fast, I hope you you understood my answer.

Have good one.

May 26, 2009 at 5:45 p.m.

• xring
    On your first paragragh..In agreement 100%.

Most definitely but maybe not the way you are thinking... Two sides to the story..The GOP wanted Miguel Estrada but the democrats blocked him; and the GOP knew Sonia had a great resume so they were tried to block her , early in her career. Being a woman and Hispanic were in her favor, and the fact that he won't and affect the balance of the court , that he has been on high on the list for a long long time.... I hope answered your question

May 26, 2009 at 5:41 p.m.

• Unfortunately the Senate Confirmation hearings are just a stage for the bloated politicians to chest thump. Time and time again, candidates will spout off the generic “blah-blah-blah” and nothing new will be discovered. I think I would rather watch Roger Clemmens congressional inquiry on steroid use than this lady explain why she is impartial.

On another note Mike, do you think she was picked for her ethnicity?
    X

May 26, 2009 at 5:32 p.m.