Comments

• John, I think you missed the point. It appears to have sailed right over your head at Mach two. And contrary to what you say the Post Office does not really compete directly with Fedex and UPS with regard to regular mail because the USPS is a monopoly.

"The USPIS has the power to enforce the USPS monopoly by conducting search and seizure raids on entities they suspect of sending non-urgent mail through overnight delivery competitors." So your statement that the post office keeps postal rates low because of competition is nonsense.

My use of Baptist in my sad, little story was not meant to disparage them and I doubt few were really offended. I could have said all left handed people and I probably would have gotten the same incoherent response from you.

My point in all this, just to review, is that the current "healthcare reform" is going to make things worse because it tries to repeal the law of supply and demand - that's all. This is impossible, yes impossible to do, no country has ever done it and not ended up with a mess.

You can "pay" for me and I will "pay" for you, I know a spell checker can't catch this kind of thing but next time when you get your back up try using it and maybe even proof reading - have a nice day.

November 9, 2009 at 9:02 a.m.

• Actually that was the Boston Globe and it covered all of congress not just Dem or Repulicans.

November 9, 2009 at 8:56 a.m.

• Wow, I turned off my asinine radar for a little while and look what gets through without me responding?

By the way, does someone have an issue with Baptist? In an analogy do what all extremist do; use "Hispanic bashing", we are so use to it, it tickles.

I don't have time to go back and reresearch information online for everyone that is either to lazy to do the research, or just wants to say "BAD, BAD, YOU BAD" all day.

The United States Postal Service, is one reason continential mail service is so affordable. In fact, If we the other mail carriers did not have to compete against the U.S. Postal Service prices would sky rocket. Somewhere only, there can even be found words to that effect by a commercial mail carrier.

I mean if you want to pay more to mail a letter, that's ok, but don't most of Americans; regardless of financial status would want to, ya think?

I had another meaning behind "Got mail", the internet, duh!

Which the creation and development of, was funded by the government, through a join military and civilian program. Is this amateur hour again, I mean usually don't oblige "shot gun juvenile antics", with a resonse. I figured, the ignorant will remain ignorant, without pointing them in the right direction. Of course if they want to remain extremist, loyal to their prejudices, and refuse to act intelligentlly; their is nothing I can do.

I shall pay for you, and ask the Baptist to forgive you, "He or she knows not what they are speaking of".

Ya know the capacity to speak, and get people excitedly in support of you, does not mean your right. The same respone can be obtained by a stripper or a bar keep at closing time, I'm just saying.

for the record I'm playing with grammar Nazi's on this on. lol

November 9, 2009 at 8 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

November 7, 2009 at 3:04 p.m.

• LOL, good one Mike.

But what happened to no more politics as usual? That sounds familiar doesn't it?

Or how about more transparency in government?

November 7, 2009 at 1:27 p.m.

• dollysdad...Now don't be worryin' about BO and why he's not been to Fort Hood. He mentioned the tragedy in his remarks to the Indian nations. It was near the top of his remarks -- only two and a half minutes into his speech, he finally got around to a sort of oh, by the way. I'm sure you've heard of the shootings at Fort Hood remarks. This was AFTER he'd joked with the people who set up the speech and talked about a man who had received the Medal of Freedom and mistakenly called it the Medal of Honor -- a FAR different medal.

You know, Mike's right about BO going to Fort Hood. He'd treat it like a photo op and people like me would call him on it so it's best he stays home. After his pathetic performance without his teleprompter at the Tribal Nations Conference to the Indian nations after the shootings, his speech writers have their work cut out for them. And they'd better not forget the teleprompter at the memorial service he attends -- that is if he goes.

November 7, 2009 at 11:36 a.m.

• dollysdad
    I Do not see any value engaging with someone that is immersed in hate,the president has been in constant touch and will be at the memorial service...I bet if he was at Fort Hood, the haters would blame him for that.... I have intentionally stayed out of the Fort Hood thread because it is a solemn event and out of respect for the family, friends, and those involved, I don't think it is a time for a political message....My opinion is not that important.

November 7, 2009 at 11 a.m.

• Good Morning Itisi,I am watching democracy at work on CSPAN..Glad I am not alone..:-)

I wish they would hurry South Florida & Texas is coming up.

November 7, 2009 at 10:30 a.m.

• I hope everyone is watching the democratic lead congress at this moment, because they cannot even follow parliamentary procedure. This is such a pathetic display of arrogance by the house leadership.

November 7, 2009 at 10:27 a.m.

• Legion357
    As for the special favors Senator Harry Reid will supposedly get and the arm twisting by Rahm Emanuel and President Obama, I can only quote Captain Renault’s words from the movie “Casablanca” but will substitute politics for gambling... "I’m shocked to find out politics is going on in here.”

November 7, 2009 at 10:03 a.m.

• Wow Rolllingstone, that’s a lot of government hate… I am amused, when President Eisenhower was credited with the interstate system, not a single word about socialism, the EITC was enacted by Gerald Ford and then Ronald Reagan expanded the program without a cry of socialism…. I think the right wing reserves that word for Democrats, much like their hero, ' Joe McCarthy. Then they seem to have this notion that their ideology is the sole proprietor of the Constitution.

Everyone dislikes bad or stupid government, much like they hate greedy corporatism, which is not unique…. Some just have a single-purpose life.

BTW, humanity does not have a profit motive.

November 7, 2009 at 9:51 a.m.

• And John, yeah I got my mail. I guess what I suppose to see is how efficienctly the government runs the Post Office - that's debatable. But the Post Office is not comparable to Medicare or the current "reform" bill being considered in Congress.

Fed Ex and UPS compete with the Post Office more or less on equal terms. But to make your analogy a little more accurate let's assume that the federal government decides to make postage free for all the Baptist in the country. The Baptist are overjoyed by this windfall even though most did very little shipping they now start to mail off everything, letters, packages, old refrigerators, pianos, whatever.

Business is booming for the Post Office, Fed Ex, and UPS. Demand is so great that prices start to rise dramatically. Congress soon realizes that this can't be sustained, so they decided that they are going to reimburse only 50% of the cost, in fact they create a shipping equalization board to oversee this mess they created.

Now the shipping companies are in a bind, so they decide to recover their costs by charging everyone who is not a Baptist much more for their shipping. Wow, now there's big trouble the costs start going up about four times the rate of inflation for the non Baptists. But even the Baptist are getting a little PO'ed because sometimes they are refused service and in some cases shippers have quit and gone out of business - restricting supply.

Meanwhile Congress sees their costs continuing to rise even though they have installed controls. Shipping demand still remains strong and it appears that more and more people are becoming Baptists. Hmmm, what to do? Yes change is coming - universal shipping for everyone whether you're a Baptist, or a citizen or whatever. But there is a catch, panels are being set up to decide if the shipping for the elderly is really cost effective.

John, I will stop this sad little story here, I think you know what the ending is going to be.

November 7, 2009 at 8:09 a.m.

• I bet Mike remembers the Constitution a whole lot better than Boehner did at the rally

November 6, 2009 at 7:18 p.m.

• Yeah, that old socialist cry about how the "law of supply and demand" is bad is getting old - don't you think, Mike?

BTW, thanks for confirming my statement that entitlement programs will never die. And I really don't hate the government, just bad government and oh yeah stupid government I hate that too. But I do love our Constitution, you remember the Constitution right?

November 6, 2009 at 7:02 p.m.

• "Well,the WH called with an offer he could not refuse according to Chuck Todd."

What is this? Is President Obama now the godfather?

IF he would have refused, what would have happened?

Would he lose his Senate Majority leader post? Or would Nevada lose the funding that it will receive,that was not offered to the other 49 states?

November 6, 2009 at 7:01 p.m.

• Ah a special incentive reserved exclusively for the Senate Majority leader.

Sounds like typical Chicago politics to me.

November 6, 2009 at 5:57 p.m.

• Sure there is Mike,

The ball will soon be in the Senates court.
    IMO remarks by Senator Reid carry some weight.

Old news ok, 3 days ago...sigh.

But can I ask you why oh why Nevada is so privileged, that out of 50 states, Nevada is the only one that will receive special funding for a expanded Medicare program?

November 6, 2009 at 5:56 p.m.

• Well,the WH called with an offer he could not refuse according to Chuck Todd.

The president will go to congress Saturday & Sunday to twist arms..I have full confidence in his persuasive powers :-)

November 6, 2009 at 5:51 p.m.

• No Mike, Reid didn't recant... a spokesman for his office did...

A few hours later, Reid's office revised his remarks. "Our goals remain unchanged. We want to get health insurance reform done this year, and we have unprecedented momentum to achieve that. There is no reason why we can't have a transparent and thorough debate in the Senate and still send a bill to the president by Christmas," said spokesman Jim Manley.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11...

Was Reid too embarrassed to take back his own words?
    So he had one of his spokesman to sorta kinda apologize?

November 6, 2009 at 5:49 p.m.

• Is there a message in all the cut & pastes?

November 6, 2009 at 5:47 p.m.

• By Lisa Mascaro

Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2009 | 10:36 am

* Archive of Sun politics stories

WASHINGTON - No sooner than the Senate Finance Committee's chairman released his long-awaited health care bill today than Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said it's not good enough for Nevada.

The majority leader is also protecting his constituents. Dozens of governors have warned Congress about the bill's plans to expand Medicaid's rolls by millions of uninsured; most states have been strapped for cash in the economic downturn, many of them severely. But Nevada need not worry: thanks to Reid, the federal government is picking up its tab for the next four years. Such benefits for his home state have not gone unnoticed, or uncriticized. "I saw in a morning newspaper that Nevada was somehow miraculously taken care of in the provisions for Medicaid expenses," Tennessee Republican Lamar Alexander.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/politics/art...

November 6, 2009 at 5:44 p.m.

• That's old news Legion,Reid has recanted.

November 6, 2009 at 5:40 p.m.

• Will the senate vote be before or after the end of the calender year?

Harry Reid has doubts that it will come up for a senate vote this year.

In a blow to the White House, the Senate's top Democrat signaled Tuesday that Congress may fail to meet a year-end deadline for passing health care legislation, leaving the measure's fate to the uncertainties of the 2010 election season.

Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., spoke as Democratic officials said it could be December before Senate debate begins in earnest on the issue atop President Barack Obama's domestic agenda, months after senior lawmakers and the White House had hoped.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11...

November 6, 2009 at 5:33 p.m.

• That old “government is bad” is getting old and just serves as a substitute for not engaging in a thoughtful debate. I think the right- wing is terrified that if the Democrats get pre-existing conditions and portability when the bill is passed, the results will be seen immediately.

Congressman Anthony Wiener gave the Republicans a chance to repeal Social Security and Medicare…. Guess how many voted against an amendment? If they're so bad they should get a candidate to run on that platform…. I didn't see any Tea Parties when the GOP rammed through the prescription drug bill that was not paid for, and ballooned the deficit.

November 6, 2009 at 5:22 p.m.

• Suzy
    I'm afraid that's going to happen if insurance premiums continue to rise.. 16,000 people a day are really losing their jobs and insurance.They have a monopoly,they would just increase the rates on the insured... Both parties admit we need health care reform but only one party is following through.

I think the debates over;if the house votes Sunday,they will have the votes to send it to the Senate for an up-and-down vote.

November 6, 2009 at 5:05 p.m.

• Suzy, that is something that is very due able, and even to the extent never seen before in history. However, it is not in our countries interest to do so.

When imply that it's possible, I'm including every emergency room in the country, no problem. Again, it is not the right course of action, and would only cause undo stress on innocent of healthcare workers.

I'm not being sarcastic, have a nice day.

November 6, 2009 at 4:23 p.m.

• rollinstone, "Got Mail?"

November 6, 2009 at 4:17 p.m.

• well then, maybe the American public should force change within the insurance companies themselves. If everyone cancelled their insurance and just went to the emergency rooms for their care, maybe the ins. companies, doctors, and everyone else associated with healthcare, would get the idea....that there are worse things than insurance reform.
    In case no one gets it...this is sarcasm...or is it?

November 6, 2009 at 4:06 p.m.

• What the healthcare "reform" bill will do is increase demand and restrict supply by controlling the prices for medical care. My God, how many times do we have to try this before everyone finally gets it - listen up, I will say this slowly, it...does...not...work, never has and never will.

There is no example of the government interfering with the distribution of goods and services that has not ended badly. It always ends up with shortages, long lines, rationing, not to mention black markets and criminal activity.

Everyone should know that once this thing is passed it will only grow and never die, just look at the history of social security and medicare.

November 6, 2009 at 3:58 p.m.

• John, your analysis is dead on, IMO and your level of trust is your business.

I think the only thing you left off was the rate of obesity and related problems such as hypertension and diabetes in the United States. The insurance companies are basically paper shufflers, so the only way they can remain profitable in an environment such as ours, is to raise rates or deny services.

You're right, if health care legislation is not completed by December, it will go by the wayside like all the other health care legislation since Teddy Roosevelt.

November 6, 2009 at 2:26 p.m.

• Itisi
    I do not personalize the Health Care Reform bill but if I have to initially wait a little longer and pay a little more, so the more Americans are insured, and portability is available, I think it will improve our economic and trade deficit…. This is just my personal opinion

I have seen the insurance rates go up every year for the past six or seven years, that it now costs American taxpayers $2.6 trillion. The insurance companies have a monopoly (antitrust) so they really do not have an incentive to lower cost.

I was for healthcare reform in 1992 and all the Democratic contenders in the 2008 primary made this issue, a must…. I am a proud President Obama supporter but if the economic proposals he has implemented are a complete failure, your candidate will have an easy time defeating him and the Democratic Party…We shall see.

November 6, 2009 at 2:13 p.m.

• Healthcares problem is one thing, and one thing only, the industries psychology!

As it stands, the concensus is to charge more each year, on fewer patients. Getting more money for less work.

What the Congress is trying to do, is to get more people covered each year, at marginal cost. Doing more work for less money.

That my friends is called getting more productivity out of the healthcare industry! No matter which way you pick at it, it's common knowledge and my logic is solid.

Americas GDP is not in line with increase in medical cost, that means that more of our income will be dedicated to healthcare coverage. For those that can afford it or not, period. No one can argue that logic, because proof is in the bill every year. The Healthcare industry charges more, while we earn less, for those that still don't understand.

If I were the Healthcare industry, of course I would'nt want to do more for less money; but that is self-serving at the cost of our national interest. I'm not calling the Healthcare industry traitors, or question their patriotism; just pointing out they are not in the business of looking out for your dimminshed personal income, you are. I hate to put it this way but, "It's like the hen, asking the farmer if he could warm his hands when he comes to collect his eggs". The farmer is going to use you until you stop producing eggs (money), He really doesn't care about you, only his money (eggs).

Asking the Healthcare industry, "how to reform itself, is like asking wall street to regulate itself, does anyone remember how that turned out".

Partisan politics aside, and I still don't trust President Obama, but we need Healthcare reform.

We may not get another chance, and I promise you the situations will be far more dire later on, if we were to try again. Better to do it now, and work on it as problems develope, than to not have it at all.

How much more of your income must be dedicated to Health care, until you all realize something needs to be done?

That's all I have to say about that.

November 6, 2009 at 1:59 p.m.

• That is a bunch of BS Mike, laughable, is Nancy Pelosi having a vote on her stupid bill on Sunday… This bunch of morons you voted for that is hell bent on a government take over of healthcare is sick and twisted. Truly if this Bill passes, I would love to see your face when you have to set in a doctor’s office for 8-10 hours. If you think this will not happen, you better pucker up both chicks because it will happen…

It’s truly hard to believe that someone with a little intelligence like you’re self would be so suck up in Obama’s BS, but you made the choice…

November 6, 2009 at 1:51 p.m.

• Itisi

The Republicans have added amendments to the bill and they were part of the Senate Finance Health Care reform gang of six; they chose to walk away and just the other day submitted a laughable Health Care Plan.

I think the support of the AMA and the AARP trumped the Michele Bachmann, same old Tea Party protest. The media focused on the outrageous signs comparing the Holocaust to health care reform, not the protest. Like I said before, Dick Armey and Freedom Works will call on those protesters again because the last two losses at the ballot boxes, since they don't have enough votes to influence legislation.

November 6, 2009 at 12:06 p.m.

• itisi,

No one counted and reports that I have read, estimated around 10,000.

I am going to lose too if healthcare reform passes. I will have to pay taxes on our highend company-paid insurance. I'm not happy about that, but reform is still needed if costs are ever going to be reigned in. I'll take that bitter pill if it means that things will get better in time, overall, for most Americans.

November 6, 2009 at 11:26 a.m.

• Suzy,

That is total BS, the Republicans have been totally shut down by this Democratic controlled congress.

Suzy, if this healthcare bill becomes law. I lose my doctors along with my insurance. I will hold you and the rest of the Democratic Party responsible.

As far as staged protest you might be right, but Capitol Police estimated 25-35,000 yesterday that was a far greater turn out than was expected…

November 6, 2009 at 9:33 a.m.

• itisi

That staged protest showed one thing. Minorities did not take part in it and only those that could afford to travel, did. That protest does not represent mainstream America in any way, shape, or form.
    Healthcare reform is a must and if the Republicans cannot, or will not, take part in it, they have nothing to complain about. They could very easily be in there helping come up with some brilliant ideas, but instead, choose to just try and postpone it until after the 2010 elections? I'm thinking they are more scared of it passing and helping the Democrats in the next election, than they are scared that it will cost too much. Cost never bothered them before when it was their pet projects. Look at the bigger picture here.

November 6, 2009 at 9:14 a.m.

• Mike,
    You left out a small point about congress and the President, on top of the bad economy two wars unemployment at 10.2%. Congress has decided to vote Sunday on a healthcare bill which is a total government take over of the current healthcare system, that we cannot afford. This sucks you know it I know it and every one else knows it. The protesters that showed up yesterday on Capitol Hill over healthcare, these morons in congress better start listening.

November 6, 2009 at 8:59 a.m.

• For the record and a sense of fairness,you may be quoting the right leaning Rasmussen poll but an average of six polls has congress approval @ 25.5%..Grated that is low but since unemployment is 10.2%,still fighting two wars,economy is improving(3.5% growth) but still shaky, and all the congressional food fights;would any person expect them to be any better?

November 6, 2009 at 8:46 a.m.

• Another question JR74.

How does two governorships relate to congressional approvals?

More on target today's unemployment 10.2% up from 9.8%...Incumbents are in trouble Republican or Democrat.

Read my post carefully,I never said it was a good day for Democrats;only that they got two more votes in the house.

November 6, 2009 at 8:28 a.m.

• JR, just a question and not meant to start anything.

How do you know it is the Democtats in Congress that are responsible for the low approval ratings?

I remember before the last elections, congress had low approval ratings and it was the republicans that lost the seats. So, it goes to figure that maybe, just maybe, it is the party of NO that is making people mad....the fact that they are being viewed as obstructionists and nothing is getting done, once again.

November 6, 2009 at 7:48 a.m.

• So, is that why Nancy and congress only have 9% approval rating? Just saying... =)

November 6, 2009 at 7:37 a.m.

• wow! where do they come from...leftwingers that are immoral as the day is long and only wish to demonize good and popularize bad...good job

November 5, 2009 at 2:36 p.m.

• Sorry icitizen,I am not used to verifying data after the fact but that vid was Hoffman admitting he was a fan of Glenn Beck but back in Oct of 2009 this is the Beck interview where he endorsed Hoffman.That was your question.

Why this is important to you?

November 5, 2009 at 2:06 p.m.

• icitizen
    This is just one source but it should be common knowledge by now.

It's all part of the 9/12 movement..The other target may be Carly Fioina( former head of HP and spokesman for the McCain campaign) in her California Senate run against Barbara Boxer...South Carolina Senator Jim DeMint is behind the movement supporting conservative assemblyman Chuck Devore..

BTW I start my sources with MSNBC's "Morning Joe" so I don't usually have a lot of written sources but during the day it is very easy to verify all the chatter.

November 5, 2009 at 1:54 p.m.

• What is your source that proves Glen Beck endorsed Hoffman?

November 5, 2009 at 12:55 p.m.

• Finally, it appears that someone who knows Mike well has taken the time to develop a website just for him. Check out idiots4obama.com.

November 5, 2009 at 12:04 p.m.

• I contend ,you do keep up better than most but "ahead" is subjective.

November 5, 2009 at 11:34 a.m.

• I am slower than I use to be, but I do keep up. Most of the time ahead. ;)

November 5, 2009 at 11:30 a.m.

• I love to read interesting post that has knowledge to impart! Thank you for sharing your insights! I will avidly wait for your next blog entry.

Best regards,

November 4, 2009 at 10:52 p.m.

• I stand corrected by Sanwichh;I wrote Pelosi got two additional seats but I should have written..Two more votes ,since the other Democratic representative was not voting....My mistake

November 4, 2009 at 5:37 p.m.

• BTW Hoffman did not live in the 23rd district of NY but Fox News did not complain..lol

Want some cheese with your whine?

November 4, 2009 at 5:27 p.m.

• I know that but he did beat a Republican.
    The other representative was not voting ;so it was another VOTING member of congress.

Instead of disagreeing all the time..Keep up.:-)

November 4, 2009 at 5:25 p.m.

• The North California was not a pick up for progressive Dems. That was held by a progressive Dem who quit to go to another position. So the pick up is one, not two.

It is a Democrat rigged liberal district in Calif. The candidate did not even vote in the election last night in the district he won. He couldn't. The guy does not even live in the district he won.

November 4, 2009 at 5:21 p.m.

• How is that John?
    A conservative Democrat lost the Virginia governorship, a liberal democrat lost the New Jersey governorship, and a conservative Democrat won New York's 23rd District, a candidate running on the Conservative Party label, lost to the Democrat… A liberal democrat won a congressional seat in California.

They were regional battles that did not have national implications.

Truth is, ideology went out the window, people want results not the same old ideological food fights.

You may think conservative equals common sense but that is just your opinion and not a truth certain. It's mostly about the individual.

November 4, 2009 at 5:02 p.m.

• Itisi

Well, we really have elections because the Constitution mandates them but the results do reflect what some voters’ think of the economy or controversial issues. These off year elections don't really tell us much because of the low turnouts. Only 10% of the 30 year olds showed up to vote.

I have to agree New Jersey is a Democratic state but Governor Corzine was a hated man, so the Democrats , Liberals ,Progressives all stayed home allowing a weak candidate to win that state. I'm pretty sure was a bur in Obama’s saddle.

November 4, 2009 at 4:52 p.m.

• Last night went well for Conservative Democrats; if this is not incentive enough to get liberals more inline with common sense, then I guess the next election will.

One way or another, common sense, will prevail; it's only a matter of time.

November 4, 2009 at 4:44 p.m.

• Mike, I just new you would have a post up before 5:00. I have been waiting all day, LOL…

It’s always about the economy or some type of dysfunctional arm of the government, which is why we have elections.

If it is not a complete government take over of the current healthcare system, what would you call it? Pelosi hates the insurance companies, she has stated, she wants to see these companies go out of business…

I don’t put a lot faith in the elections that went on last night, although it was a shot in Obama arm over the NJ race. I don’t think anyone can dispute that.

November 4, 2009 at 3:51 p.m.