Comments

• Come on Mike, everybody loves Attila the Hun with a smile! lmao

October 23, 2009 at 7:51 a.m.

• My ex used to tell me I was a little to the left of Attila the Hun & it annoyed me that he considered me left of anything.

October 21, 2009 at 7:54 p.m.

• Attila the Hun is too strong, even with a :-)?

My apology, not intended as a cheap shot at all,perhaps I should have wrote left of Grover Norquist.

October 21, 2009 at 4:19 p.m.

• If my opinion could be twisted, then I lack conviction. As for the first part, a cheap shot with a smile. That's class.

October 21, 2009 at 3:56 p.m.

• tafoer
    I suspect anything left of Attila the Hun is left-leaning to you....:-)

I don't believe there's a "we" should believe in your vocabulary... No one can twist your opinion.

October 21, 2009 at 3:35 p.m.

• So we should believe the left leaning Washington Post? I'm just saying!

October 21, 2009 at 3:07 p.m.

• JR74
    You quote from that right-leaning Rasmussen Poll.
    The Washington Post/ABC news poll
    57 percent approve of the way Obama is handling his job as president and 40 percent disapprove..considering unemployment is at 9.8%,that's outstanding.... the alternative Republicans are at an all-time low of 19% approval.

That Kaiser Reort poll and the current Washington Post/ABC

A new Washington Post-ABC News poll shows that support for a government-run health-care plan to compete with private insurers has rebounded from its summertime lows and wins clear majority support from the public.

I continue to disagree,a majority of the people want a Health Care Reform bill... A lot depends on the final version.

October 21, 2009 at 2:31 p.m.

• Well apprently I'm not the only one that is tired of it. As of today 27% of the nation's voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President. Forty percent (40%) Strongly Disapprove giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -13. That’s just a point above the lowest level ever recorded for this President. It’s also the sixth straight day in negative double digits, matching the longest such streak. So, that's a pretty big circle. And I don't deny that imigration isn't that big of a priority, just the first one that came to mind.

Suzy, let me rephrase myself before you have a fit. Nobody wants his health care bill.

October 21, 2009 at 2:11 p.m.

• JR74, I did find this Sept 29,2009 poll

The Kaiser Family Foundation has today released the results of its latest poll tracking public opinion on health-care reform. Similar to the polls I wrote about last week, Kaiser has found an uptick in support since a low point in August. The percentage of people wanting "health-care reform now" is up 4 points to 57 percent, and the proportion of people who believe the country will be better off with reform has jumped 8 points to 53 percent. People who believe the country will be worse off under health-care reform is now down 8 points to 26 percent, and individuals believing that they or their family will be worse off is down 8 points to 23 percent. That last number is the critical one for Obama: people must believe his reforms won't hurt them personally if they are to support health reform.

"Nobody is asking for" may be in your circle but we do have 50 states.

October 21, 2009 at 1:27 p.m.

• Nobody is asking for a healthcare bill? You have no idea how many people want this. Your just not hearing about it because they have more important things to do that whine to the media. They are out there getting the job done, the right way.
    President Obama cannot do anything until a bill is presented to him to sign.

October 21, 2009 at 1:15 p.m.

• JR74
    The fact that you're sick and tired of all talk and no action is pretty vague you would have to be more specific.

First things first… Health Care Reform was a priority in the campaign for Democrats, as president he is about to get the privilege of signing one after many years of frustration. You may not agree it is a priority but again 69 million people voted for the Democrats… Putting the brakes on the rising cost of health care would help our trade and fiscal deficit.

President Obama is not the Speaker of the House(the one who actually introduces legislation) although he may have great influence; Comprehensive Immigration Reform is not a priority right now…(1) health care reform(2) the economy (3) jobs(4) stimulus(5) climate change legislation is what's on the plate right now, the order may change depending on the circumstances as for foreign policy, Afghanistan –Pakistan has the priority been diplomatic talks with Iran and whatever else comes up the meantime…

October 21, 2009 at 1:09 p.m.

• I usually am Mike. But I get real tired of all the talk and not very much action. I have yet to see him do much of anything except talk about what he is going to do. He's trying to force feed a health care bill that nobody is asking for. He has pushed to the side alot of other legislation, i.e. illegal aliens for one.

October 21, 2009 at 12:02 p.m.

• JR74
    I figured you for levelheaded Libertarian; do you really think a political party would write legislation to pull the plug on their grandmother?

You may not agree with the administration’s short-term stimulus spending to revive the economy, but most economists think it was right to stabilize Wall Street. The Bush administration bailed out AIG, and I think it the was the right decision….

The Obama administration's economic policies may fail but a lot of smart people think that kept us from going over the cliff.

October 19, 2009 at 11:26 a.m.

• speechfree said
    "Republican's are like blood thirsty sharks in the water going apoplectic with the smell of a fresh kill."

But yet the Dems would pull the plug on their grandmother. And if it was the Republicans that are spend happy then why is it BO has spent more than anybody else? And If it was Bush's fault than explain why BO keeps spending when it's not needed. That's right, so he can take his family on vacations, shopping and so he can delive speech after worthless empty promised speech. All I see is alot of double talk and no action.

October 19, 2009 at 10:58 a.m.

• I don't even have time to read all of the posts but you can count of the Republican Pary getting even smaller when they are turning on their moderates because they aren't conservative enough. The "base" wants the party to hold true to its values, which are not shared by the majority of voters in America. Its a shame, though. In order for people to informed decisions vis a vis voting, we need both sides presented in a sane and resonable manner.

Keep putting the truth out there, Mike. It is important to have both sides, even when some people refuse to believe the facts. Other people read the blogs too, not just the posters.

October 19, 2009 at 9:54 a.m.

• Republican's are like blood thirsty sharks in the water going apoplectic with the smell of a fresh kill. Gingrich who orchestrated a take over of congress was ran at of town after the slightest set back. They turned on Dennis "Denny" Hastert over what I even considered a minor infraction. President Bush presidency was officially a lame duck when he could not get a moderate Harriet Miers through . Republicans eat there own like pigs do when one of their own fall in the pen. This is why they fail. But their grammar is impeccable.

October 17, 2009 at 6:19 p.m.

• Victore, you nailed it! Thanks.

October 17, 2009 at noon

• Mike,

Is an amusing person, he translates his entire liberal BS into stone. He believes in the hard LEFT ideology, but claims to be a person who believes in himself and has total trust in the government without question. But than again he is a kind a monkey see monkey do kind a person (AKA ;) hypocrite. Although when it comes to making money he is a conservative, but if he has a loss in the stock market it’s the republicans fault. What good ole Mike want admit, because of conservative principle is the reason for his personal wealth what ever it is, not relevant.

I do admire Mike, because when he believes in something you will not change his mind. He believes in this President without a doubt. He does not care where this president came from or what the possible future might bring by this man. He believes that President Obama is the greatest thing since toilet paper, and that is fine with me. He will throw every left wing web site in your face and claims it to be gospel, to the letter.. But be objective, want happen by Mike.

The word objective is taboo, other words no meaning. If you challenge him, he will throw the numbers at you like a softball, true or not, just doesn’t matter. Claims to be all about facts, but only from his prospective, and don’t even think you can get away with a conservative word, he will eat you alive. He will tell you he is a self made man, but the government owes him something for what ever reason.

“Mike you will not talk about the morons in congress. You refuse to go there about congress and the leadership within. You think all the tea baggers are a bunch of morons, and they are against Obama, when they are totally against big government, but you refuse to concede that the American people may have a valid point. Then again the word objective is not within your vocabulary of thought.” “64,000,000 may not be right”

“Mike, this is not judgment, this is solely based on you’re writings, comments and projections.”

October 16, 2009 at 11:13 p.m.

• As far as part of the blog, the redress of grievances by employees of defense contractors, it seems to me that the contractors received the same benefit that the VA health care system receives.

A veteran can not sue a VA doctor, hospital, clinic or their branch of service for even the most obvious instance of medical malpractice, or misdiagnosis or failure to supply needed care.

Altho different than a sexual assault claim against a sub-contractor, the monetary protections seems the same to me.

October 16, 2009 at 6:25 p.m.

• The FTC controls the internet?

Well, not yet anyway, they want to though.

How are they going to control "the internet"? Do they think it is just in the US?

That can't even do anything about overseas scammers now, what FTC internet control are you talking about?

October 16, 2009 at 6:13 p.m.

• Johnny
    The Federal Trade Commission controls the Internet....I saw where advertisers and bloggers speaking for products on their Facebook page need full disclose but I have yet to see anything about amateur political blogs. I could have missed it.

October 16, 2009 at 5:18 p.m.

• Johnny
    I am not sure where you are going with this.
    Will you be posting that same message on right-wing blogs?:-)

I have been on this forum for about 4 years and partisan views have been the norm for a long time.

October 16, 2009 at 4:51 p.m.

• Mike, according to a new federal law (passed by a Democrat controlled Congress), as the author of a partisan viewpoint blog, you are required to post if you are now, or have ever been paid by any member of the Democratic party in connection with any staff or campaign position. You will be required to substantiate this info by your full name, address, and other relevant personal info as requested.

October 16, 2009 at 4:48 p.m.

• I will try to decipher Sandwichss’s post.

I guess I am the liberal progressive and I have posted a blog of which I am the most important commentor... Maybe he meant commenter?

I didn’t cite any sources for the town hall meeting but Chris Matthews interviewed one of the participants afterward…I guess I was supposed to say Chris Matthews is a pundit for MSNBC but I wanted to highlight the wants of the interviewee.The fact that he thought Jim DeMint was a credible presidential candidate….He could have been interviewed by Glenn beck..Who cares?

I not sure what a conservative constitutional source is..I was not aware the constitution had an ideological source…Where did I say it was a bad thing.

October 16, 2009 at 3:42 p.m.

• Sandwichh
    Can you translate what you just wrote?

October 16, 2009 at 3:20 p.m.

• Barry
    First: I know Lou Dobbs is just a fear monger, and illegal immigration is his niche.

Immigration reform will not come up for discussion until sometime late next year; it is premature to get upset over wishes and pipe dreams that the lawmakers may be leaking to the news. I am not sure how true those elements are but over the years I have see legislation proposals that never saw the light of day…Last I heard immigration reform is not a top priority…The economy, health care reform, Afganistan, and climate change legislation will be sent to Nancy Pelosi desk to take to committee before anything else…I will be 64 years old and I do not fear for my grandchildren, they survived the last eight years. I am back in the market, so I am putting my money where my optimism is.

I am not saying you are wrong…I am saying we have a difference of opinion…I could be wrong.

October 16, 2009 at 3:18 p.m.

• I love this.

A liberal progressive post a blog and then is far and away the most prominent commentor to it. Using liberal progressive sources to back things up. Of course not identifying them as left wing sources but noting a right wing, which it is not but a conservative constitutional source, as a bad thing.

October 16, 2009 at 3:03 p.m.

• Mike: "The right will always look for things to stay in a permanent stae of frenzy...Get over the sour grapes diet".

Sour grapes? Maybe I hate to see what is happening to this country. I assume from your statement then that you must agree with the elements being brought forth in the amnesty issue? If so, I can only conclude that you are a very old man, with no young children or grandchildren who will have to live through this mess, if it all comes to fruition. I would argue that waiting until the deed is done, simply makes it too late to do anything about it. Am I wrong here Mike?

October 16, 2009 at 2:49 p.m.

• The right continues to trot the same old “is this the type of change you wanted?” talking point, as if Barack Obama campaign was the first to use that “change” slogan….I heard Al Gore, both Bushes,Clinton,Kennedy,Nixon and Carter use that line.

This is the change the country was talking about…It was not for all future events.

October 14, 2008 , 3:41 pm
    Poll: Record High for Wrong-Track Rating
    By Megan Thee

In the face of economic upheaval in the United States, a record 89 percent of Americans now say the country has pretty seriously gotten off on the wrong track while just 7 percent of Americans say the country is going in the right direction, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News Poll.

October 16, 2009 at 2:34 p.m.

• Really ...Lou Dobbs! Amnesty legislation that has not been brought to a committee for a debate....The right will always look for things to stay in a permanent stae of frenzy...Get over the sour grapes diet.

October 16, 2009 at 2:18 p.m.

• Barry
    The blog is not about change.
    You are off topic.

October 16, 2009 at 2:11 p.m.

The above was taken off a CNN broadcast. Is this really the type of change people wanted, really?

October 16, 2009 at 2:07 p.m.

• Sorry my reply was intended for dollysdad not Baylee.

October 16, 2009 at 12:07 p.m.

• Well I was WRONG(not entirely) in all the campaign speeches I missed where the president said on May 13, the president said legislation plus some voluntary measures by the private sector "could save families $2,500 in the coming years – $2,500 per family," echoing a claim he made countless times on the campaign trail last year….Key word is COULD….For one thing, Obama isn’t actually promising to reduce health care spending below current levels, only to cut the rate of growth in spending. And even that is proving to be far tougher to accomplish than Obama led voters to believe. We’ve already mentioned that the Congressional Budget Office says "savings" in Medicare spending resulting from the House bill would fall short of what is needed to pay for two-thirds of its cost, which is Obama’s goal. And those savings come only in what the government pays, not in what families pay.

Anyway the Senate Finance bill still has to be mergerd with the other bills ,so it is premature to say what the final bill will look like or save,

Typical cut& paste right-winger,no idea on subject matter.

October 16, 2009 at 12:02 p.m.

• So your lack of recall trumps the numerous, documented cases of Obama making this promise? Yep, sounds like a Liberal to me. Your opinion is sufficient to rebut others' facts.

October 16, 2009 at 11:56 a.m.

• I did some checking.
    Tracking Obama’s promises
    Promise Kept
    Compromise
    Promise Broken
    Stalled
    122
    In the Works
    313
    No Action

That’s pretty good so far.

October 16, 2009 at 11:51 a.m.

• First of all there is no bet.

I don't recall Obama saying that his plan would reduce the family's insurance by $2500 but I know that is what the right-wing Heritage Foundation is touting on their website.

"AndThroughout his campaign, and even in to the first few months in office, President Barack Obama repeatedly promised the American people that his health care plan would reduce their health insurance premiums by $2,500 a year. It has been a while since President Obama made that promise, and any honest look at the health legislation being considered in Congress explains why"

October 16, 2009 at 11:45 a.m.

• Alton
    President Barack Obama has been working (through a series of five strategy meetings) with the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Petraeus, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, General McChrystal, and his cabinet members to come up with a path forward for Afghanistan. He and his staff have been working behind closed doors on health care reform, on financial reform, and tinkering with new strategies to get the economy going…Not to forget restoring our friendly but respectful relations with our allies.

The 895 campaign promises are blown out of proportion. I have never taken campaign rhetoric seriously unless it is about matters of great importance like troop withdrawal,torture,Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, Immigration reform, Health Care Reform or Gitmo.The fact that he stopped in New Orleans was important because since hurricane Katrina hit and Presidents Bush’s speech in Jackson ,Mississippi ,the New Orleans area has pretty much been forgotten. A presidential appearance raises a new awareness to the forgotten area.

October 16, 2009 at 11:38 a.m.

• AltonEaston, you have already won your bet. My favorite example is the frequently repeated campaign promise that Obamacare would REDUCE the average family's health insurance costs by $2,500 per year. All of the proposed legislation, in both the House and the Senate, would RAISE the average health insurance cost. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

October 16, 2009 at 11:21 a.m.

• Baylee
    The title of my blog is "If it weren’t so funny” so I thought it was appropriate to use the words of a comedian to cap off my thoughts. Since I used his words, I gave him the credit.

I never pretended that Jon Stewart was a news authority (whatever that means) but for the record he is very knowledgeable on current events and politics, so his Bill Maher. In fact you have to have a pretty good working knowledge of politics to get the full appreciation of their satire.

(AP) The Senate approved a measure Tuesday prohibiting the Defense Department from contracting with companies that require employees to resolve sexual assault allegations and other claims through arbitration.

The Senate voted 68-30 to attach the amendment sponsored by Democratic Sen. Al Franken of Minnesota to a larger defense spending bill. A vote on the full bill was expected later.

Does the source make the story any less true?

October 16, 2009 at 11:13 a.m.

• The only thing I have seen President Obama put on his plate is travel, speeches, more travel, and more speeches. Yet, he has not visited a single natural disaster area that has occured during his Presidency that I am aware.

President Obama made 895 campaign promises. Mike, I bet you a meal at any place you choice in Victoria or Calhoun County if he keeps all his promises by the end of 2012.

October 15, 2009 at 5:58 p.m.