Comments

• More pressing than whether he speaks to school children or not, is his stance on foreign policy. And of course his "bill" that he will suggest to congress about health care reform.

On the health care topic, from one of his websites... ( of course this is just for artists, sponsored by the NEA)

Their plan includes the creation of a new public program that will allow individuals and small businesses to buy
    affordable health care similar to that available to federal employees.

Paid for by Obama for America
    Printed in House

Similar, I guess that is the key word.

On foreign policy, mainly Afghanistan...

Cracks are appearing in administration ranks as Taliban attacks, civilian casualties, allegations of fraudulent elections and plummeting US public support raise questions about what Obama insists is a “necessary war”.

Joseph Biden, the vice-president, has expressed public doubts about a new US military build-up in Afghanistan, mainly on the grounds that it might destabilise Pakistan, whose nuclear arsenal makes it a more pressing US concern.

Not to mention the Van Jones resignation and all the "slight" problems Obama s other Czars have.

September 6, 2009 at 6:22 p.m.

• I'm sure there won't be any outrage about this:

September 5, 2009 at 2:16 p.m.

• Just A Mom,
    For the record, I can assure you that I have no affliation with Big J.

September 5, 2009 at 11:36 a.m.

• americafirst said:americafirst
    Report a Violation
    permalink The majority picked Obama ..not like Bush in his first term when he didn't have the majority vote. He is good for our country because he believes in peace and is not a warmonger like Bush nor vendictive. I'm proud of him. Give him a chance...don't hate him because he is Black.

Your race card has expired. To activate your new card call 1-800-555-5555 and press #2 for spanish if applicable. After you have done this you may hang up. Thank you for crying wolf with the increasingly meaningless word of racism and have a nice day.

September 5, 2009 at 10:38 a.m.

• Alton
    The speech will be available online for the parents to view prior to the speech, Tuesday but I suspect it will not make a difference for those parents who did not vote for Barack Obama….. I think it’s great that you can put out feelers, get a response, and correct the text. The feedback was not inappropriate.

You stated that the left would have responded the same way if republican president was giving the speech to our children. I disagreed because other than some democrats in Congress, the left did not really object to the speeches by Ronald Reagan (glorifying tax cuts) and George H.W .Bush …… This may set a precedent for all future presidents.

September 5, 2009 at 10:37 a.m.

• Waywardwind
    I agree with about 90% of your first paragraph but I don’t think the people were as disappointed about ignoring the constitution; as they were with incompetence. I say that because his approval ratings started dropping after Katrina and his administration was put under more scrutiny after that. Remember shortly after that, the treaty to allow Dubai to oversee our ports?

The democrats got the momentum in 2006 when they took over the house and senate so I don’t completely disagree with your analy(except that part about Mike) but it leaves a lot of inside baseball out of the equation.

September 5, 2009 at 10:24 a.m.

• The correct spelling is huevos not juevos
    and cajones does translate to drawers.

Does local lingo come with a dictionary?

September 5, 2009 at 10:04 a.m.

• the correct word is cojones!

September 5, 2009 at 9:53 a.m.

• The majority picked Obama ..not like Bush in his first term when he didn't have the majority vote. He is good for our country because he believes in peace and is not a warmonger like Bush nor vendictive. I'm proud of him. Give him a chance...don't hate him because he is Black.

September 5, 2009 at 9:44 a.m.

• Bucket, thx for the Spanish lesson, but as a Hispanic I've always known cajones means drawers, so hence, "He has big enough cajones to buck the system." Zat help? That means he has big DRAWERS?

September 5, 2009 at 9:17 a.m.

• Funny how you can't decipher between mindurownbiz and BigJ.....huh curious.....

September 4, 2009 at 11:38 p.m.

• Barry,
    I don't know about the people in the positions you mentioned because I moved from Victoria 5 years ago. As for the fact that he needs to earn respect, he did just that when he won the popular vote by millions. Again, if you don't like it, TOO BAD and GET OVER IT!! He's here for 4 yrs and 4 more yrs after that if all he has to worry about is S. Palin in 2012. I guarantee you that no one of you would be talking any smack about this if this was a Repulican president. That is the fact and it's sickening.
    And as for the "pronounced socialistic tendencies" you speak of, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about because if you live and work in Victoria, I'm more than positive that you don't make enough money to fall into the tax brackets being charged for these tendencies.

September 4, 2009 at 10:53 p.m.

• Mike, I will tell you for the last time I hate no one, but i'm not stupid, this man is not good for this country, and sad part is you know it. You claimed to have done you're home work on this man. I honestly can say you have not, because people that are a hell of lot smater people than you or I have done the home work. The results are not good. Mike, he brought the best and the worst out of people from both sides of this fence. The American people will not go for his change it's far to radical. I will say this , if this President continues down his path, he will be standing a lone, because in the end the American people will stand hand and hand because they believe in God country..

Have a great and safe weekend..

September 4, 2009 at 9:55 p.m.

• Mike..."Some posters will say that those that voted for President Obama were taken in by fancy speeches; yet they fail to look at what they were putting up for candidates."

Mike, in my heart of hearts I believe there are two main reasons Obama was elected. The first is that the country was fed up with Bush and his ignoring the Constitution. The people also objected to the wars he got us into. I think the people would have supported a concerted effort to locate and kill Bin Laden, but when Bush went into Iraq and started concentrating on regime change, he lost a large part of the country.

The second reason is the ticket put up by the republicans. McCain was looked upon as weak and almost a democrat and Palin was...well, to be generous, was looked upon as a joke without the experience to do the job she was seeking much less to stand number one in the line of succession.

I believe that Obama was looked at as the lesser of two evils, much like Bush was when he was running against Kerry. I don't think it would have mattered WHO the democrats ran, McCain/Palin was gonna get hammered. A Victoria native by the name of Mike could have won that race.

September 4, 2009 at 8:10 p.m.

• Mike, I am not saying you are lying, sorry if it came across that way. What I was trying to point out, I believe many parents got upset by the initial press released statement concerning the fact the President would ask for a personal support of him as President--not support of the office of the President, but a personal support for President Obama. They and many others did not see this was an innocent speech.

I believe they opposed this topic and not the President speaking to the children.

And even though this topic has been removed and attempted to be explained away--many individuals have already lost trust and support of any elected official making sa speech to their children.

September 4, 2009 at 7:42 p.m.

• VET: In local lingo JUEVOS = CAJONES or EGGS = NUTS or BALLS. "He has big enough cajones to buck the system." Zat help?

September 4, 2009 at 7:31 p.m.

• mindurownbiz: "Get over it...he IS the President whether you like it or not..you don't have to like him, but respect the position"!!

I'm curious, do you feel the same way about the local police chief? Or D.A.? Or school superintendent? Respect the position...I think not. A person has to earn respect by his/her actions and Obama falls mighty short here. I have no use for his pronounced socialistic tendencies or his criminal and racist friends and I don't support or respect him at all! I applaud VISD for listening to the majority in this matter and they weren't the only district to decide not to air the session.

September 4, 2009 at 7:12 p.m.

• Shame, shame, shame on Victoria ISD and on the parents who don't want their children to hear this speech on the importance of education! Get over it...he IS the President whether you like it or not..you don't have to like him, but respect the position!!

September 4, 2009 at 6 p.m.

• Alton
    Unless you are saying without a doubt that I am lying, then I say you are wrong. I wouldn’t care what President Bush would have asked the children (many would be inattentive) to write a report on how they could help the president. I never (neither has the left) said any president would try and brainwash our children in 20 minutes...I’m sorry, I am not that paranoid…My children and grandchildren are much stronger than that.

The WH will release the speech 24 hours ahead of time.

The State department or the administration may have lied; I don’t know.

I can’t do anything to make you believe me but I say you are wrong…The left is not without its faults but they would not go to this extreme for a simple 20 minute “Stay in school” speech.

September 4, 2009 at 4:12 p.m.

• Lets get real here, the left and I pray the right would have been opposing a speech, inwhich President Bush asked school children to write a report on ways they could help the President.
    I know the Department of Education has stated that it was an misguided staff member that had addes the released statement and it was not approved by the President or the Department.

Seems like this misguided staff excuse has been used in the pass. It appears that our government has lost control of its staff.

September 4, 2009 at 3:55 p.m.

• itisi
    I think it is quite obvious that you hate President Obama..There are other right-wing blogs that you can share right-wing talking points with...You would be much happier.

September 4, 2009 at 3:52 p.m.

• Thanks fansofscarlett, for the information.
    Austin has a population of about 760,000 compared to our 60,000+, so it is not exactly apples and oranges …IMO..Unless it was a liberal v conservative comparison.

I know if Victoria had taken a poll, the objectors would have won hands down but I thought my home town of 63 years would rise above that; knowing another presidential election will be coming in 2012.

I don’t think teachers should be left with that decision because that is just a cop out for leaders of the school district. That would be another reason for parents to jump on the unsuspecting teachers who might have had good apolitical intentions for viewing the speech…Perhaps with permission slips.:-)

September 4, 2009 at 3:49 p.m.

• President Obama at this moment in time is being judge by the friends he is keeping namely his advisors. Stop baby sitting you’re President, if there is something to whine about take on these radical advisors that he has drug into the White House. These folks, if they can get done in four years will change all of our lives.

There will be no plans of there revolution, the decision will be made, you will be left with no water or food, because there will be no fuel to turn the ground or water so plants may grow. It is happen now in California.

Van Jones, “white environmentalist has poisoned the water.” This Criminal is only one of a dozen. This was no Obama slip up or White House, this man was known by Obama for a long time.

This President has no businesses speaking to the kids of this country. He needs to in the White House solving problems instead of plastering his face all over TV it’s not his job to paste his brand of education on our children, that is the soul responsibility of the parents. I’m sorry you feel ashamed, but it’s truly not necessary. We need a leader not a used car salesman..

September 4, 2009 at 3:47 p.m.

• Arlewil
    I can actually see where one that already has a negative opinion of this president; taking that position. I think the administration will rephrase or take out that portion of the speech…As political as this country is today, they should not leave room for doubt. That is a mistake on the part of the administration.

Like I have said many times, I watched this man for two years and heard him try and encourage our youth to serve this great nation in some capacity. I have caught flack because I think we should re- institute the draft; if we are going to engage in wars. We need more than ½ of 1% of real commitment…IMO

September 4, 2009 at 3:34 p.m.

• Explain why Raygun would offer his positions on deficits and taxation and gun control.

September 4, 2009 at 3:30 p.m.

• BTW, Austin is leaving it up to the teachers. If a teacher feels it fits in with the curriculum and is age appropiate. Parents have the option of allowing their children to view it or not. Very diplomatic.

September 4, 2009 at 3:29 p.m.

• Mike
    I have no problem with our President talking to our school children and encouraging them to excel in their work.
    I am ashamed to have a President who talks to our children and asks them "What can you do to help President Obama?" with instructions that they will be graded on their answer later. This is just one step away from asking our children to swear alligence to Pres. Obama instead of our country.

September 4, 2009 at 3:15 p.m.

• If this other crazy lady runs, I'll donate to her campaign. I'm just imagining all the wrist slitting on the campaign trail.

September 4, 2009 at 3:11 p.m.

• Vet
    Did you know that the democrats are scared Michelle Backmann might become president?..lol..I bet the DNC would support her campaign.:-)

I wonder if she got any takers for her wrist-slashing party; protesting Health care Reform.

September 4, 2009 at 3:08 p.m.

• N45BA
    President Obama has to talk fast to get out the whole Democratic agenda in 20 minutes.

President Bush gave a political speech for “No child left behind” that was aired nationally but not made mandatory. It was political in nature. Then again, I wouldn’t care, a 20 minute speech cannot brainwash….President Bush and the first lady visited many schools for the standard photo-op and I thought nothing of it…It’s what presidents do.

As I said, if any school district decides it will not partake in any national presidential speeches in the future, I don’t have a problem with that.

It is going to be a “20 minute pep talk”, not that important but the spokesman for VISD said the speech was controversial but it is more about politics..IMO

Evidently the president is not forcing his way because several school districts have opted out. …

BTW I was born,raised, and reside in Victoria,Texas ;so I don't care what Austin decides to do..That is also the American way.

September 4, 2009 at 3:02 p.m.

• What are "juevos"?

September 4, 2009 at 2:46 p.m.

• Excuse, I missed the comma..I misinterpreted.

September 4, 2009 at 1:36 p.m.

• That is what former means

September 4, 2009 at 1:35 p.m.

• I thought a military brat was a dependent of a person in the military..lol

September 4, 2009 at 1:34 p.m.

• Remain shocked.

September 4, 2009 at 1:28 p.m.

• Give me a break, Vietnam vet.
    You served this country? If you did, thank you for your service. However, I am shocked by you as a former military brat.

September 4, 2009 at 1:23 p.m.

• How dare the president have the nerve to encourage children to study and stay in school! How dare he do what every president in modern times has done! The same people who said criticizing Bush was unpatriotic are now essentially teaching their children to disrespect the president. And what lesson is it showing that if you don't like what somebody says, just walk out of the room and ignore them?
    Yeah, Bush was reading "My Pet Goat" and if I remember right, he was holding the book upside down.

September 4, 2009 at 1:08 p.m.

• That is so true Vet…President Bush sent us to a war of choice on flimsy (at best)Intel, politicized the Justice Department, torture and received a “F” from their own party for their response to Katrina and the right-wingers say we should fear a president who has only been in office for 8 months…Gimme a break.

Wasn't President Bush reading "My Pet Goat" when we were attacked on 9/11?

September 4, 2009 at 12:50 p.m.

• I posted this on another blog:

OMG, when I went outside this morning I knew the sky would fall today and pigs with lipstick would fly.
    People, Saint Ronnie gave a speech to schoolchildren on November 4, 1988 that included a Q&A session during which he offered up his positions on deficits and taxation and gun control. I'm sure kids really cared about those subjects.
    On October 1, 1991, Bush 41 gave a speech to schoolkids. http://bushlibrary.tamu.edu/research/....
    Dubya gave a speech to schoolkids and asked them to collect money for kids in Afghanistan. (Did anyone notice that failing grades increased after that?)
    Would everyone be happy if Cheney spoke to kids?

Yeah, go ahead and keep kids out of this socialist program known as school because of this speech.

September 4, 2009 at 12:38 p.m.

• Maybe they should show them this, a real thing going on:

September 4, 2009 at 12:35 p.m.