Comments

• The proponents of talk radio (hate radio) love to engage in the politics of personal destruction, rather than engage in meaningful debate about the issues that concern America.

To prove a disprove the garbage is a waste of time. It's like engaging in the Sarah Palin/Levi Johnson soap opera; on a day to day basis. "And you're another one” is the battle cry of the disengaged and misinformed. It's like I continue saying, in Victoria County, a blind mouse can dial in any AM station for 24/7 talk radio, beginning with Glenn Beck and ending with Michael Savage. If after 16 hours; you don't come away with hating Liberals and Democrats; and you just were not paying attention…. I would never approve of any legislation to censor or remove any of these characters from talk radio. As long as they are the voice of the opposition; let them keep talking.

Jonathan Henke (founder of the website TheNextRight) is going after WorldNetDaily for being a host of the most outlandish conspiracy theories. He told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow that sites like WorldNetDaily are an embarrassment to the Republican Party. They are elements in the conservative Republican party that do want to have a meaningful and intelligent debate.

September 9, 2009 at 2:03 p.m.

• Alton:

Give the "hate radio" BS a break. God, what a bunch of whiners you Dems are. The only hate Limbaugh and Hannity broadcast are the quotes from the likes of Van Jones ("Whites are to blame for environmental problems.") and Reverend Wright ("No, no, no. Not God bless America. God da** America.").

If you can disprove anything these "hate radio" personalities are saying, please do it here in this forum.

September 9, 2009 at 1:13 p.m.

• Itisi

This is where I agree with you…. Because the president did not want to repeat the mistake of 1993-94, he left the details of the Health Care Reform bill for congress to hash out. That was an obvious mistake because without a clear and decisive agenda, detractors used this opportunity to confuse and denounced the bill, as another government intervention and mistake. You are right, he has not got his message across to the 80 to 85% who have health insurance and don't want to lose it, just to bring in the other remaining 40 million or so.It should have been his priority.

His speech will not be a total waste of time because 57% of the American people are confused. The president has the opportunity to tell the American people, what he wants, what he expects and what is negotiable. Then all five bills can eventually be consolidated; for an up or down vote. The GOP‘s mind is made up, nothing, this is the president’s Waterloo.

Starting over would be would produce the same results because the Republicans are just not that interested in Health Care Reform…IMO

September 9, 2009 at 11:06 a.m.

• Alton
    The statement I made was not to be taken literally because it was based on Republican lawmaker’s answers ,not as an official conservative stance. George Will wrote a very good article on the reason we should start withdrawing from Afghanistan. I have not been convinced that we should escalate that war.

I was talking about a different era, and a different group of conservatives that did honor the established institutions.

Arlewil
    I understand as a fiscal conservative, you are very uneasy with the fiscal policies carrying out. I can only say that he is dealing with extraordinary problems that required extraordinary solutions. If you are a follower of Adam Smith or Milton Friedman then these policies are making you climb a wall. The president is following the economic philosophy of Paul Samuelson, who believes that in a recession the government should make large interventions into the economy to get it moving again, but when the economies operate at full potential; the proper role of government is to provide public goods and take care of externalities. Economists like Jeffrey Sachs and Paul Krugman embrace this role for government.

Curbing waste and fraud will require hiring new employees, eliminating current insurance subsidies and working with the hospitals to come up with new hospital reimbursement procedures. These measures require congressional approval as new health care reform legislation. We wasted the whole month of August talking about death panels, Nazi indoctrination,socialist agenda and a lot of other subjects that had nothing to do with Health Care Reform.

September 9, 2009 at 10:41 a.m.

• I do believe the Left-Wingers really need to get out from under the bubble the oxygen is getting real thin and starting to effect the brain.

The President needs to stop kicking this dead horse over health care. The American people are so divided over this issue along with the idea of government run health care. The President and Congress, truly should can the whole thing, then start over. I think the President would gain a little more respect from the American people on health care issues.

The Presidents approach on health care has been so off target, because he was using the idea of a small percentage of people needing health care. Then he has continued to inject his idea to those 80 percent that already have health care and claims it will not effect what they currently have. He has failed to get his massage across to that 80 %.

The President speech on health care will be a total waste of time. Because now he is preaching to the choir (CONGRESS), this speech is not intended for the American people.

The President has created a night mare for congress and his administration. If congress passes what the President indicated that he wants, it will be political suicide for the democrats.

September 9, 2009 at 8:48 a.m.

• Mike
    I am still confused about the answer you gave me when I asked the question "How can the Govt Healthcare Plan reduce the cost of Medicare by $500 billion dollars without affecting the quality of service?". You said there was that much fraud in current Medicare.
    That is where my confusion is. In these tough economic times, the President knows how to cut Govt spending by $500 billion dollars without affecting service and has not taken action on it. This should have been his first priority when he took office. This does not make any sense to me.

September 9, 2009 at 8:13 a.m.

• Mike, very interesting Blog on your thoughts. Most of what you say in this blog sounds about right. However, your comment "The Conservatives are supporting the president as long as he stays the course in Afghanistan" sounds like all conservatives. Because I have never supported the war in Afghanistan, I guess I am a liberal.

Your comment "These will be a contentious four years for President Barack Obama because the mature, responsible conservative that honors America's institutions, both governmental and societal has been taken over by the wing nuts of Fox News and hate radio. Doubt all American institutions, both governmental and societal are honored by all conservatives. I could list a few I do not honor.

September 8, 2009 at 6:54 p.m.

• I have a cousin who is slowly withering away from AO. I guess this may be an eyeopener for people who were all gung-ho for the Iraq invasion and how long their kids and grandkids are going to be paying for it.

September 8, 2009 at 3:45 p.m.

• I have a friend that is still paying for it... In May of 2007,$3 million was appropriated to clean up the place... It was attached to the Afghan/Iraq war spending bill...took a long time for us to admit it, then a few more years to pay for it.

September 8, 2009 at 3:33 p.m.

• This has nothing to do with the subject, but this news caught my eye:

The U.S. is slow with funding to help clean up an airport contaminated by the wartime herbicide Agent Orange has not been disbursed quickly enough.
    You mean I'm still paying for a war I FOUGHT IN?

September 8, 2009 at 3:27 p.m.

• Van Jones who snuck out under the cloak of darkness was a truther & a communist...guess Obama does put stock in them. Obama has been mute on the topic of Van Jones...no comments on his resignation.

September 8, 2009 at 2:48 p.m.

• Obama even hypnotized me during the speech. I had to run to WalMart to buy some aluminum foil.
    Speaking of pulling the plug on grandma, does that mean grandpas are safe? Cool!

September 8, 2009 at 2:29 p.m.

• Williet
    Anyone who believes or quotes Glenn Beck does not have credibility with me... but that is just my thing.

Because I don't pay attention to the "Truhers,The secessionist,birthers,deathers or any other( er's) I don't feel I have to dispute so-called facts.

You have a good day.

September 8, 2009 at 2:28 p.m.

• Thanks Vet
    I can't believe that woman went on CNN to say "studying hard is a slippery slope to Nazi-ism.”..Followed by a Glenn Beck cry…lol

September 8, 2009 at 2:20 p.m.

• It's good to see that you consider the POTUS surrounding himself with communists and felons and thugs from every walk of life is trivial. I will take that into consideration when reading anything you post from now on. You still did not dispute the FACTS Mike.

September 8, 2009 at 2:19 p.m.

• Here you go, Mike,:

September 8, 2009 at 2:12 p.m.

• It didn't take me that long,Williet ... That conspiracy theory comes from none other than a man who admits he is just a clown, that wants to make money..Glenn Beck.

Glenn Beck also sees secret communist symbols embedded in New York's Rockefeller's Center..lol

September 8, 2009 at 2:07 p.m.

• Vet
    You're way ahead of me again; you're going to have to elaborate..Change his suit?

September 8, 2009 at 1:47 p.m.

• Willet
    Sorry I agree, I did resort to school your tactics.

I did not even read your post because I am not into trivial matters and conspiracy theories.... I am just a simple poster that likes to debate the merits of economic and foreign policies... and nothing else....I went back and looked at your post,only to see that it is loaded with names, organizations,and your theories.... I have said many times that if the economy does not show a drastic improvement in the next two months; the president and the Democrats will lose a significant amount of seats. I have also said that, I have reentered the market because I see that we are no longer going over cliff due to the stimulus package.

Since I have now read your post, I will cut & paste in into word, print it, just see what you're talking about. it will probably take me a couple days or so.

September 8, 2009 at 1:45 p.m.

• Yeah, that probably wasn't the speech he was going to to originally give to the kids. I also heard he was going to wear a different suit.

September 8, 2009 at 1:45 p.m.

• My what a clever reply Mike, FYI I do not listen to Rush nor Hannity. I notice you resorted to school yard tactics instead of trying to prove anything I posted as being non-factual and dangerous for our country.

September 8, 2009 at 1:26 p.m.

• More Republican talking points:

WASHINGTON, Sept. 8 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- As President Obama addresses the nation on health care reform, a new analysis by the Center for Immigration
    Studies estimates that 6.6 million uninsured illegal immigrants could receive benefits under the House health reform bill (H.R. 3200). While the bill states that illegal immigrants are not eligible for the new taxpayer-funded affordability credits, there is nothing in the bill to enforce this provision.
    Congress defeated efforts to require the use of the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) program. More than 70 other programs of
    this kind use SAVE.

The report is available at http://www.CIS.org/IllegalsAndHealthC....
    Among the findings:

-- In 2007, there were an estimated 6.6 million illegal immigrants without health insurance who had incomes below 400 percent of poverty, which
    is the income ceiling for the new affordability premium credits.

-- If all uninsured illegal immigrants with incomes below 400 percent of poverty received the new credits, the estimated cost to the federal government would be $30.5 billion annually.

-- The current cost of treating uninsured illegal immigrants at all levels of government is an estimated $4.3 billion a year, primarily at emergency rooms and free clinics.

September 8, 2009 at 1:20 p.m.

• Yeah, the people in California are not taxed enough - it's not the spending that's for sure.

September 8, 2009 at 1:01 p.m.

• Not really

September 8, 2009 at 12:57 p.m.

• The Supreme Court struck down a lot of FDR's programs unfortunately they let several slip by. That's why FDR tried to "pack the Court." FDR also did many other things outside his constitutional authority.

He was particularly nasty about using the IRS and the FBI to harass and punish his enemies - sounds familar. He also interfered with the affairs of Congress. He really had little regard for the Constitution.

He did these things because he said he was dealing with an emergency. An emergency brought on by government policies - sounds familar.

September 8, 2009 at 12:56 p.m.

• That's $500 billion.

September 8, 2009 at 12:47 p.m.

• xring
    I understand what deficit neutral means; that's why I used the words….(1) The Bush tax cuts will be allowed to sunset(2) The administration sees $500 a waste and fraud being reduced in Medicare without reducing benefits(3) The cost of having our troops stationed in Iraq will be reduced in the year 2011(4)Big Pharma is pitching in $80 billion(over 10 years) and the hospital group will also come in with savings(5) there are monies in the stimulus can and in the budget that have been allocated for Health Care Reform.

BTW deficit neutral does not mean giving up something..It means that the deficit will remain the same. You could use tax increase, health care savings, or other methods.

I know it sounded like I'm blaming the Bush administration for everything but I'm getting tired of the short-term blame that has been going on for years. One political party will come in promising to lower property taxes, income taxes, and for the most part will fulfill their obligations but the next party will come in and have to fix the infrastructure that was ignored by lowering everyone's taxes….. Last Sunday’s George Will's column was about a conservative Republican running for governor in California, who has a brilliant idea. His idea was to collect the taxes than one year and make the budget in the next year. This way, the state could only spend what it took in. He also proposed a line-item veto. To understand California's problems, you only have to look at proposition 13.

September 8, 2009 at 12:43 p.m.

• JR74
    My mistake: The tax cuts for the wealthy and repeated in the estate tax was my metaphor for Republican wants; not actual legislation.

The Estate Tax only affects about 3,000 people nationwide and the $3.5 million exemption amount is a topic for another blog.

BTW I said the fine/fee/tax was going to be a topic in the future...Remember we still have five bills that have not been debated or voted on.

September 8, 2009 at 12:22 p.m.

• By the way JR74 - SRV is the man! I wish I could play like that.
    X

September 8, 2009 at 12:11 p.m.

• Ok, you said that public option is just today's excuse of opposing heath care reform but that doesn't say anything about charging a fine to those who refuse the goverment run health care plan, and one accident puts the burdon on the state...where does the money come from for the state to take care of them....our tax dollars. You also say in your blog that the republicans will repeal the estate tax. The Dems are the one's who want to keep it in place. I am very against the death tax due the fact I've seen alot of friends loose family land because of they couldn't afford the taxes on it.

September 8, 2009 at 12:10 p.m.

• You can blame the past administration all you want, doesn't matter to me. But the fact is you cannot provide a product or service for free, pure and simple. You claim deficit (or budget) neutral, which means something will have to be given up.

O.k. fine, which government program will be given up? The answer is none, which is why he is asking for a debt ceiling of 12 trillion dollars by mid-October. Some of us have a little longer term before our life expectancy runs out, which means that we will be footing this bill for a long time.

September 8, 2009 at 12:08 p.m.

• JR74
    I have already covered that in my blog when I said that the public option is just today's excuse for opposing Health Care Reform....I said in next issue of employer/employee mandates will be opposed by the Republicans..... The Massachusetts health care plan is a product of Mitt Romney and the Democrats in that state...It does have a funding problem But everyone is insured...One auto accident puts the burden of the uninsured on the state.

September 8, 2009 at 11:53 a.m.

• Health insurance costs have been rising for over eight years and the Republican Party did nothing... That's without dispute.....You ignored the fact that tort reform was reduced by 50%. Insurance premiums in those states continued to rise....You can not produce any stats;other than unverifiable personal stories to back up your claims.

September 8, 2009 at 11:46 a.m.

• X that's why the senate is trying to fine the people and companies without health care a fine.

People who refuse to have "affordable healthcare" could be fined more than $1000 a year.The Congressional Budget Office estimated the fines will raise around $36 billion over 10 years. Senate aides said the penalties would be modeled on the approach taken by Massachusetts, which now imposes a fine of about $1,000 a year on individuals who refuse to get coverage. Under the federal legislation, families would pay higher penalties than individuals.

September 8, 2009 at 11:43 a.m.

• xring
    The president said it had to be deficit neutral…. If I'm not mistaken, one of the biggest reasons President Barack Obama was elected, was his proposals to reform health care. The majority sets the direction. The president continues to say that we will not continue following the failed policies of the past. The eight years were miserable.

One bit at a time will not reduce cost, the Democrats will have to get in a majority of their wants because the Republican Party have always ignored Health Care Reform and will continue to do so…IMO…. That 16% of GDP will continue to rise and have a great bearing on our trade deficits…. The president is looking bad because of the in action of the last eight year.

The debt is an accumulation of all debts, and those that will be repaid and those bills that won't. The data does not account for 1% or 2% more in projected growth and repaid debt with interest…. I keep a watch on the long-term deficit. A short-term deficit was expected since we injected a lot of capital into the system; to get it going again…. Next time you hear about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan; listen closely because I doubt that you will get a dollar figure for the nation build and we're undertaking.

September 8, 2009 at 11:38 a.m.

• Sportsaholic,

Geography and common sense. Why, those are just Republican talking points. Right, Mike?

September 8, 2009 at 11:28 a.m.

• Mike,

Geography 101.
    What do Florida and California have much in common with Texas?
    Illegal immigration, maybe?

September 8, 2009 at 11:15 a.m.

• Mike - the problem with the current administration is that it's an "all or nothing" environment. Healthcare DOES need to be reformed, but at what expense? And who's plan? Does it need to be reformed at the cost of a national monetary crisis?

And don't tell me that there hasn't been any additional proposals. There have, from both the Republicans as well as the Blue Dogs - they have just been ignored.

Couldn't they start at a more reasonable goal, one bite at a time rather than try to eat the whole elephant?

This was a rush deal with no thought into long term ramifications. Today, Obama will ask the Senate to move legislation to raise the federal debt limit beyond $12.1 trillion by mid-October. Think about that for a moment. Tweleve trillion.

And Suzy - you made the comment "The crash of the 20's would seem like a little set back." Before you hail his actions as heroic, you may want to read this article out of the UK Telegraph. It is helpful to have a little insight from outside the beltway. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ec...

September 8, 2009 at 11:15 a.m.

• Suzy,

Most physicians and nurses are also resisting this "change". I haven't spoken to anyone in the medical profession who isn't nervous about this.

I'm not defending insurance companies, but you have to look at the deeper root causes of the escalating costs in health care/insurance. The uneducated, knee-jerk response would be to blame all the "greedy" insurance companies.

I see $500 taken out of my paycheck each month for health insurance. The good thing is I can always change carriers if I chose to do so. There is competition. I can choose not to have insurance at all, though I don't recommend it.

I will be completely helpless when my taxes are increased to help fund the astronomical costs of this president's insatiable spending.

September 8, 2009 at 11:13 a.m.

• Willett
    Rush Limbaugh is on.

September 8, 2009 at 11:07 a.m.

• Sportsaholic
    I know that illegal immigrants and tort reform ranks high on the Republican talking points but the facts don't bear that out.

Florida California and Missouri had malpractice suits cut in half with stringent tort reform but insurance premiums continued to rise.

The healthcare problem is nationwide.

September 8, 2009 at 11:04 a.m.

• Sportsaholic
    are you saying that insurance companies share absolutely no blame in this fiasco? Then why are they the main force behind this esculating right-wing fight against change? Just for the heck of it?

September 8, 2009 at 10:57 a.m.

• It’s all starting to become very clear. Everything is exactly as it seems, it’s just too complicated to see all at once. But, if you break it down, you can’t miss it. First, remember Obama is a community organizer and a student of Saul Alinsky. The doctrinal foundation of these two activities is organizational alliances and a multi-pronged approach to accomplish objectives—attack from many directions. At the center of Obama’s radical network is the Apollo Alliance, with current and past board members of John Podesta, Van Jones, Leo Gerard, Gerland Hudson, and Bracken Hendricks. John Podesta, one of Obama’s chief architects is also the president of the Center for American Progress (CAP) (a liberal think tank). Van Jones is a former Fellow in the CAP. Leo Gerard is the President of the United Steel Workers, and a board member on the National Commission on Energy Policy. The former Chairman of the National Commission of Energy Policy is John Holdren, Obama’s Science Czar. Gerland Hudson is the Vice President of SEIU, which was founded by Wade Rathke, of ACORN fame. Bracken Hendrix is a current Fellow, serving Van Jones and John Podesta in the Center for American Progress. Now, the Apollo Alliance came from another organization called the Tides Center, who’s former Chairman was none other than Wade Rathke. Also from the Tides Center sprang the Tides Foundation, of which, Wade Rathke was a former board member. Is it any wonder ACORN plays such an important role in this administration? So why should any of this mean anything to you? Well, the Apollo Alliance, helped design and write the $787 billion Stimulus Bill. Not Congress, but rather this web of left-wing special interest peddlers. Billions of dollars spent on every "wish-list" item they could come up with. And you wonder why some people are scared.

September 8, 2009 at 10:55 a.m.

• Economics 101: Jobs are the lagging indicator.
    Hannity is not that relevant; he just an entertainer

September 8, 2009 at 10:53 a.m.

• Health insurance is high because health care is high. The insurance companies aren't charging $10 for a box of Kleenex.

Health care has increased drastically because of the continued and accepted influx of illegal immigrants and malpractice lawsuits. I have witnessed women from Mexico cross over illegally to have their babies at Citizen's Hospital in Victoria. They leave without ever paying a dime. They do give birth to an "American" citizen and now cannnot be sent back to Mexico.

Who do you think pays for these and other health expenses illegal immigrants pile up? You and I through high health care costs and high insurance premiums.

Who do you think pays for malpractice insurance that every physician in this country must purchase because of all the frivilous lawsuits filed by people looking for a quick payday? You and I.

To just blame this all on the insurance companies would be ridiculous. But it's not politically correct to lay the blame where it belongs, so Dems like you would never admit the truth.

September 8, 2009 at 10:53 a.m.

• Rollingstone
    FDR's New Deal was taken to the Supreme Court: FDR prevailed.

The public option will not pass because in order to get Olympia Snowe on board, the president will have to settle for the " trigger option’; the legislative threat of implementing the public option if insurance companies do not clean up their act in about four years. I think it is a Trojan Horse just waiting for a Republican-controlled Congress to repeal that piece of legislation.

September 8, 2009 at 10:49 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

September 8, 2009 at 10:46 a.m.

• Just thinking a little here. What would happen if everyone dropped their health insurance and just rolled with the flow. How far would that trickle down? How fast do you think the insurance companies would be playing all high and mighty?
    People have the power if they would just do what they did during the start of the Unions.

September 8, 2009 at 10:41 a.m.

• "If President Obama hadn't have stepped in with the banks, and the auto indurstry, and I hope Wall Street soon, what do you think would have happened? Get your heads out of the sand and think a little bit. The crash of the 20's would seem like a little set back."

Right you are, Suzy.

The jobless rate really isn't near 10 percent. That is just Fox News, Limbaugh and Hannity distorting the numbers.

I'm really getting sick of these "typical white people" trying to tell our president what to do.

September 8, 2009 at 10:41 a.m.

• The "General Welfare Clause" was much debated by the writers of our constitution. Orginally it was meant to promote the general welfare only within the "enumerated powers" of the federal government.

Madison wrote, “If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the general welfare, the government is no longer a limited one possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one subject to particular exceptions.” “Letter to Edmund Pendleton,”

Since that time Congress has used this clause to greatly expand the powers of the government beyond its enumerated powers. The public health option is an example of this. It is being proposed as a remedy for a situation caused primarily by government interference in the healthcare industry, much like the problems caused by "affordable housing."

September 8, 2009 at 10:34 a.m.

• What these people refuse to see is that they have a choice. Either let the government try to keep things fair for all people, or let big business tell them to drop their drawers and bend over....which is already happening.
    If President Obama hadn't have stepped in with the banks, and the auto indurstry, and I hope Wall Street soon, what do you think would have happened? Get your heads out of the sand and think a little bit. The crash of the 20's would seem like a little set back. This economy was on the brink of total disaster. It's not out of the woods yet, but people are starting to get confident enough to open their wallets again.

September 8, 2009 at 10:33 a.m.

• xring
    How do you propose ,we as individuals, stop the rising cost of health insurance?

Ignorance never enters the equation because we do not have the power nor the money to fight the insurance companies.

Hyperbole is just an excuse ;not a solution.

September 8, 2009 at 10:22 a.m.

• It's o.k. Truly - don't fret. The government is all wise and all knowing, and will take care of us. People just need to remain calm and realize that our congress and president know what is best for us. We are far too ingnorant to take care of ourselves. We need them to ensure our safety, and provide us the basic needs.

As Darth Vader said: "There is no use to resist, give in to your hate and know the full power of the dark side." (I love that line!) X

September 8, 2009 at 10:14 a.m.

• right-wingers seem to be obsessed with viewership ratings but it is elections that count; seats in the House and the Senate dictate policy not the ratings of Rush Limbaugh and Fox news.....I am not trying to silence the right- wing and I am aware of my environment.

September 8, 2009 at 10:10 a.m.

• Mike,

Thanks for your efforts to silence these right-wing lunatics. How dare they voice their opinions and oppose the president of the United States? We left-wingers would never disgrace the office of the presidency by calling our elected leader a racist, fascist, or any other mean-spirited name.

How dare these whackos doubt the integrity of our president's closest advisers, like Van Jones and Reverend Wright. I really think Fox News edited some of the comments of Jones and Wright to make these fine Americans appear racist. It is just not fair that MSNBC does not attract as many viewers as Fox News or that Air America does not have as many listeners as Rush Limbaugh. Something has be done about this.

These nutjobs just aren't qualified to know what to watch and what to listen to, Mike, on talk radio. We've got to get Acorn and the SEIU to do something about this. Do you have George Soros' phone number?

And how dare anyone try to prevent our beloved president from talking to our children? The government has every right to do whatever it wants in public schools. These childrens' parents are too stupid to tell their kids to stay in school, so the government must step in to do it for them.

I don't know, Mike. Sometimes I just want to swim over to Cuba, because it has the best health care system in the world. I wouldn't have to put up with all these ignorant, uninformed, brainwashed idiots in Havanna like I do here.

What are we going to do, Mike? What are we going to do???!!!

September 8, 2009 at 10:01 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

September 8, 2009 at 9:58 a.m.