Comments

• "I just wish he would stay out of Kayne West and any other items that that does not have to do with domestic or foreign policy" - AMEN, that only digs holes for himself.

Big J, I'm not even going to try to say some of the people with anti-Obama sentiment are racially driven. Clearly those people exist, and it makes my heart sad, even if they are a small minority. And, it is also true that disrespect is a cornerstone of racism.

But, racism is not what is behind the "tone". The "tone" has a feel of disrespect, granted, however, it is disrespect for his actions (and words), not his color.

This President has engaged in an agenda of broad reaching Federal expansion, all without any consensus and all in complete disregard of the concerns of the elected representatives of nearly half the nation, not to mention several of which actions are questionably unconstitutional as it regards Article 10 - States Rights (we’ll let the courts sort that out, although it may be late, you can’t put the chick back into the egg)..

If that alone is not bad enough, he is approaching these moves in a manner which shows his lack of experience. This culminates in a perception of arrogance and disrespect, and as the saying goes, "you earn in kind what you pay in kind". The disrespect you are confusing for racism is towards his constant pandering, double speak, and in response to the "sit down and shut up" attitude the party he leads has taken on.

I believe Obama wants his Presidential legacy to be one of an uniter, however, in order for that to happen he need to walk the walk and not just talk the talk. His biggest hindrance are the Democrats in Congress. It is obvious there is a power struggle of sorts going on among the Democrats, and it is Obama's responsibility, as leader of the Democratic Party, to put it to rest. Until that happens, he will be remonstrated as the author of these divisive actions, and rightly so, as ultimate responsibility lies at his feet.

September 17, 2009 at 4:23 p.m.

• Wayward
    Our intelligence assessment revealed that Iran could not reach Europe with their missiles and we need Russia's help with renewed talks with Iran.... I saw were Obama's poll numbers went down in Poland....Not to mention we're broke.

I just wish he would stay out of Kayne West and any other items that that does not have to do with domestic or foreign policy;-)

September 17, 2009 at 3:47 p.m.

• Mike...I'm not sure who's coming around, me or the president. In about a week, he's done two things I wholeheartedly agree with. He called Kayne West a jackass and he's killed the missile defense shield that Bush wanted to build in eastern Europe. Who woulda thunk it?

September 17, 2009 at 3:20 p.m.

• Alton
    Thank you for your reply and I agree; I probably have to step back, slow down ,to make sure that that my thoughts are not misinterpreted.

Like I said, I thread lightly when it comes to the issue of race because a post can be deceiving and taken out of context….I fear one nut case will take matters into his own hands one day, especially after hearing that this president has received 400 times more death threats than President Bush and that is in just eight months.

I agree get rid of the Czars, but put it in legislation, so future administrations won’t have them.

September 15, 2009 at 6:17 p.m.

• Mike, always is a big word, it covers a lot of territory. And most problems occur, due to our failure to communicate our thoughts correctly. We even see this within the family unit.
    I also need to proof read my comments and maybe even have someone else read them before posting.
    I admit that I made the assumption the Green Czar Van Jones answered to only the President, without the knowledge he reported to Rahm Emanuel.

I still could not call this a low-level appointment. And I can accept the fact we may never agree on this issue. I believe, we desire the same cause, making Washington responsible to the citizens and not the Washington Elite.

I think most of us on this site; realize most administrations have done things we disapprove of. Yet, most administrations have had something we approved.

I have never liked any appointment of "Czars", and I agree --they should be eliminated. At the very least they should be nominated and approved/disapproved by the Senate. It appears “Czar” appointments have been around since FDR. This does not justify the continued process.

Over the last few years, I have seen numerous elected officials make racial statements. It is my belief that racial statements are meant to separate and inflame people to look away from the true issue or problem at hand. I could be wrong that Washington desires to keep a division between the citizens, but if they desired us to work together they sure don’t practice it even in Washington.

I am not blind; I realize that there are still culture differences, between many races. But these culture differences should not separate us.
    I hate that racism still exist, I have first hand seen its pain, especially among my biological and adopted children.

September 15, 2009 at 5:54 p.m.

• Any disagreement we have with Obama you will call racism. The man has lost the respect of much of America via his constant pandering and double talk, depending on the group de'jour he's addressing. I have knews for you, incompetance knows no race.

September 15, 2009 at 4:33 p.m.

• Hey man, you through down the gauntlet on "anybody who questions Obama has ulterior motives" discussion... he77, its the very meat of this bogus blog... finish it, if you can.

Oh yea, there's that whole completely discredited thing.

Why do you even post here? You need to put a blog on the "Sheeple For Obama The Messiah" website.

September 15, 2009 at 3:14 p.m.

• Johnny
    Scroll down,many posters disagreed with my opinion and were allowed to stand...When you have to pull out the Nazi card or resort to name-calling means you have nothing to contribute,so your only recourse is to marginalize the messenger...Start your own blog where I am sure others of your ilk will flock to.

September 15, 2009 at 3:06 p.m.

• I am not under any obligation to answer a vain poster..shoo,go away.

September 15, 2009 at 3 p.m.

• You got caught upside a wall with a lie... so now you want to censor speech.

Typical liberal, free speech works only as long as they agree with you. To classify everyone who falls outside of your political scope as a member of the opposition is a historically tried and true identifier of a totalitarian regime.

So answer the question, it is key to Obama's credibility:
    Just who is to pay for indigent illegals who show up in the emergency room?

September 15, 2009 at 2:54 p.m.

• I have said that I will delete any poster that wants to use the Holocaust,Hitler, as a talking point...Find another thread to spread that garbage or start your blog to deal with your illegal immigration obsession.

I have also said I will not engage in silly,name-calling attacks.....I gave that up and I went a lot further this morning than I usually do...It's a waste of my time.

September 15, 2009 at 2:41 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

September 15, 2009 at 2:31 p.m.

• That is a good idea. Kind of like "this is what they are really saying" lmao. Your always going to have your left and right wing outlets, no way around that, but it would be nice to see an outlet just say "this was a lie" " this was the truth" and prove it. But you know as well as I do it's all in the program directors hands and where the owner and director lay their veiws.

September 15, 2009 at 1:44 p.m.

• JR74
    I did not mean it in a lawsuit sort of way but you are right they would never put that down to screen because they would never have that popular politician back as a guest.

These are some examples:

When a Republican politician says is that the people do not want government run health care.

The scroll could put out a disclaimer like: The public option will not likely pass but the public option is really a pool of insurance companies, those without company insurance would be allowed to choose from...The same the way the congressman does.

What a Democrat say is that it will be completely paid for… The scroll would put out a disclaimer like: The CBO estimated that HR 3200 would increase the deficit by $250 billion. The other plans do not have the CBO seal of approval, as of yet.

MSNBC has Lawrence Donnell who has worked on health care legislation.. He had a pivotal role in the Clinton administration. Chris Matthews was a speechwriter for Jimmy Carter, as was Pat Buchanan for Reagan and Nixon. Their insights have increased my knowledge on parliamentary procedures, government and politics…. CNN has David Gergen, Ed Rollins, Paul Begala and James Carville; all have worked inside the political arena for a long time…Fox has Karl Rowe and Dick Morris…. If a network would use that knowledge to train their unbiased reporters ;that could be a start .It would be up to that unbiased to separate fact from fiction or partisan politics….. Then again I don't think there's anything wrong with MSNBC being a hack for the left and Fox server in the same role for the right. It is up to us to seek the truth.

September 15, 2009 at 1:38 p.m.

• Now Mike you know that no news station would ever put that on the screen....but it is a GREAT idea. Let people know whats really happening behind the curtians. NPR is set as #1 on my radio right now. And as far as the media studying the issues, you know as well as I do that they are going to do whatever it takes to get their numbers. It would be nice to find one media outlet that would actually pull right down the middle and not lean one way or the other, but I know that is something that would never happen.

September 15, 2009 at 12:57 p.m.

• Johnny posted

“As to the 03 legislation, at least it was honest legislation. Honest in that it recognized a problem, ie: US citizens are unfairly having to pick up the bill for illegal non-payment via increased medical costs. Do I like it, no, its really 6 to one 1/2 dozen to the other. Only difference is that the Fed picking up the tab spreads it amongst a larger pool, all taxpayers, not just the ones with insurance.”

Medicare part D=. Honest legislation is ludicrous.. That piece of legislation(not paid for ,by- the -way) was held up into the wee hours of the morning to give Tom delay time to twist more arms, support for a congressman's son running for election was promised (illegally), a deal was made with the drug companies to forbid exported drugs, and it had a trigger for a public option that was never enforced….. Just because it was a Republican bill did not make an honest legislation.
    Talk about spin.

September 15, 2009 at 12:40 p.m.

• Arlewill
    About three years ago I had a discussion with a true independent…. I suggested that every time a politician is being interviewed, the network should run a scroll at the bottom of the screen with a disclaimer like; Mr. X. has receive $1.2 million from the medical profession, or that the Defense Department has contributed over 30 contracts to the congressman's district in the past year.They could say Mr. X. is telling a half-truth;then continue scrolling the facts.

I am very disappointed that Max Baucus (D-MT) distributed a copy of his health reform plan to the insurance companies before he gave it to the White House. Mr. Baucus is one of the main recipients of lobbyist money from the medical profession. This morning I heard that the medical industry's lobbyist contributed over $4 billion (1998-2009) to political candidates working on health care reform. They contributed over $60 million to candidates in the primaries. 60% of the funds went to Democrats because they knew it was going to win the elections. Health care reform was not created in a vacuum.

A lot of it's our fault because many want a reality show rather than the boring stats of the economy. NPR, and PBS has a low rating because unless you're interested, and have a basic background in politics or economics, people like David Brooks and Charlie Rose would put a novice to sleep....Of course there are those that think those stations are liberal because they don't say that conservatism is the only way to go.

September 15, 2009 at 12:29 p.m.

• Oh,I know a right-wing ideologue when I see one...And I know hypocrites when I see their words,beliefs, and spin.

In politics..Perception is everything.

September 15, 2009 at 11:57 a.m.

• Mike
    I think it is good when two old Victoria boys, who are on opposite ends of the political system can agree on some things and your blog reflects some of those issues. I also wish the media was not so divided. I believe media should report the news and not cherry pick those events which reflect their political philosophy. We need to hear all the news from the left and right without political bias.

September 15, 2009 at 11:55 a.m.

• Independent does not, nor has it ever meant, absolutely politically neutral. Yes, I lean conservative on most items, but towards the liberal on many others, and ultimately find myself largely in the middle of the road. It is your problem, not mine, that you cannot distinguish between political party and issue based inclinations.

This is opposed to the Obama lie, that the new healthcare bill does not provide funds to pay for supplemental illegal healthcare. OK, so they do not get supplemental help from direct government payments, great.

But, who pays for their healthcare?
    Someone has to, one way or another.

Being the nature/culture of illegal aliens, they are not going to change their current method of receiving healthcare, ie: going to the emergency room for virtually all medical needs without any means to pay.

Who's to pay for that? If the Fed has a law that says "All people must have health insurance", then having health insurance becomes a required cost of being a legal US citizen (like taxes are required). If the cost of that illegal medical care now becomes a portion of the government mandated health costs, then it becomes a subsidized cost mandated by the Federal government and paid for by US taxpayers (albeit not paid via payments to the IRS). Not to mention, that a portion of the direct supplements paid to US citizens include a share of the unpaid illegal care (and that makes it a supplement from government coffers). Easy logic.

The problem with the Democrats totalitarian approach to medical reform is that it is way too fast and loose. The scope of the reform is so broad reaching it cannot be handled by a singular piece of legislation, and as such the gaps become chasms.

As it relates to illegals and medical care, there are many options. One that works to "kill two birds with one stone", and is brutally honest, is to say "Hey, we know illegals are seeking medical care with no means to pay, so we need to set up a reserve (like a bank has a loan loss reserve) for this amount and use that to reimburse for illegal care. However, as the taxpayers need to be rewarded in kind for this cost, the application of the reserve will also be used as a means to identify unisured illegal aliens for further action, be it deportation, a temporary worker permit, or amnesty in certain rare situations."

September 15, 2009 at 11:52 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

September 15, 2009 at 11:44 a.m.

• Johnny
    You continue to say that you are an independent( above the fray)but your comment history does not reflect that...That in itself can be interpreted as a lie.

The Right-wingers are like little puppy dogs following the newly appointed leader, Congressman Joe Wilson, by calling the president names rather than offer solutions to the many problems this country has.

Did you know that Joe Wilson in 2003, voted to provide federal funds for illegal immigrants’ healthcare. The vote came on the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement and Modernization Act of 2003, which contained Sec. 1011 authorizing $250,000 annually between 2003 and 2008 for government reimbursements to hospitals who provide treatment for uninsured illegal immigrants

Good day

Johnny

September 15, 2009 at 11:14 a.m.

• Since Obama has gotten into office I've only heard him say one thing I agree with...."Kanye is a jackass" which was suppossed to be off the record but got on twitter by an abc reporter.

September 15, 2009 at 11:13 a.m.

• I am an independent, and will call out bullshi+ whenever I see it.

I see Mike has taken a second lesson from the Scammer in Chief, that truth is relative, as relative as you need it to be regardless of fact.

BTW, Obama is making himself the liar, no one is putting those words in his mouth. He is the epitome of what is wrong in politics, say what your audience du'jour wants to hear, then deny it to tomorrows audience.

September 15, 2009 at 11:03 a.m.

• That's funny,I having been hearing that for a long ,long,long time...I attributed it to politics,not necessarily to one party.

September 15, 2009 at 11:02 a.m.

• One thing about it there is unequivocal indication of a double standard with Democrats in the Senate and House.

September 15, 2009 at 10:58 a.m.

• Let me break it down.
    My quotes:

"I never said that all the Czars were low level appointees"...PLURAL

"I think Van Jones... (a) low level appointee may have not required the normal vetting as a high-level official in the Cabinet..."..SINGULAR

Now the right-wing will make calling President Obama a liar;fashionable...It's their next buzz word.

September 15, 2009 at 10:51 a.m.

• The Constitution stipulates what appointments need advise and consent from the senate.
    I thought every one knew that.
    Easier to call one a liar..Typical

September 15, 2009 at 10:43 a.m.

• Johnny
    Hello pot meet Kettle

September 15, 2009 at 10:40 a.m.

• Mike has been learning how to lie from his President, or maybe that is just inherent for ideologues.

Mike says:
    "I never said that all the Czars were low level appointees because I know better."

BUT THIS VERY BLOG AUTHORED BY MIKE STATES:

Credibility, what credibility, I suppose according to Big J you must be black because there is no way one white man can oppose anothers political views unless its racially motivated. Then there's that whole Michael Steele thing that throws a monkey wrench in Big J's warped hate-fueld theories. Big J reminds me of the spouse who always accuses the other of cheating, its often the subconscious guilt of the accuser that motivates the accusation. Of course, he would probably like white people if they were all big breasted, ivory skinned, blond headed hood rats.

September 15, 2009 at 10:34 a.m.

• Alton
    You always exaggerate or misrepresent my words.Are you purposely doing this or am I writing vague statements? I can improve the latter.

I never said that all the Czars were low level appointees because I know better. I remember a post where I ridicule the Bush administration for having a War Czar. I thought since we had a defense secretary, a vice president, and a national security adviser, it was not warranted. I am saying that you cannot allow one administration to have Czars demonize the next administration for having them. Van Jones reported to the assistant of Rahm Emanuel. That's low level to me… I said Van Jones should have been fired for lying on his application; which by- the- way asked about affiliation with the radical groups. In one post I indicated that I would not mind if legislation wiped out the Czar from this day forward.

While I agree that the firing of the GM CEO may have been unconstitutional, I believe that once a company accepts federal (our) bailout money that I have no problem with the government stepping in and imposing some regulations and stipulations in return for that company taking our money. I don't think those on the right minded when the government made the unions offer more concessions.

Glenn Beck's 9/12 Project should have gone down to the K Street to continue their protest. Oh, I forgot Freedomworks (Dick Armey's lobbyist group) sponsored the event. I guess there's no hope to that group will take their protest to Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield or Unitedhealthgroup.

I did not see any evidence, nor did you offer any, that shows that the United States government is fanning the flames of racism.

September 15, 2009 at 10:04 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

September 15, 2009 at 9:02 a.m.

• Mike, so you consider the Czars as low-level appointees. They do not have to answer to anyone, but the President. The President, not his staff, chooses them. Where is the line drawn on who is a high-level administration appointee and a low level appointee?
    I just don't see Van Jones in the same category as staff secretary.

You may not care if your tax money is paying the salary of a self-proclaimed communist, but many individuals do. Communist support the absolute power of a central group of leaders. There is no liberty of the individual.

In my opinion the President subverted the Constitution by firing the GM CEO and by over ruling the rule of law concerning contracts (took away the bonuses of people making over $250,000 a year).

I believe that Washington desire for citizens and voters to be divided. Both parties do not want citizens to be united. They want to demonize someone or a group so we take our eye away from the fact we are losing our rights as individuals under the constitution. I believe they want to divide us along party lines, economical lines, and even desire to divide us along racial lines.

I will give my life fighting for the rights of the American individual, regardless of his/her color. We all bleed red and should not fear government. Government should fear us.

I pray and wish the best for the American individual.

September 15, 2009 at 1:10 a.m.

• I have to say some of those people protesting in DC are an embarrassment. The idiotic things some of them are saying/doing/waving do us all a disservice.

September 14, 2009 at 9:36 p.m.

• "He who goes borrowing, goes sorrowing.".....that saying needs to be put in a fortune cookie or 2!

September 14, 2009 at 9:09 p.m.

• Yep. And you couple that with warning signs like this, and it's only a matter of time before those chickens do come home to roost.

September 14, 2009 at 9:01 p.m.

• BSspotter, I saw on the news this morning about the tires also & thought that was awfully ballsy. China is making noise & talking about chickens...wondering if they are really talking about the live kind or bringing our monetary chickens home to roost. Ceasing to import cheaper Chineese tires just to placate the unions....kinda dangerous if you ask me, also since it doesn't sound like any demands for the unions to lower anything, just higher prices for us, if we are lucky. I guess the is the unions payback for all the support.

September 14, 2009 at 8:56 p.m.

• As usual you have the regular village idiots defending the garbage thats going on in Washington. People don't only dislike Obama because of his race, his policies stink, he's a dishonest liar, and apparently hates the idea of anyone with ideas different than his. I see you mention Jerimiah Wright, the big difference between Wright and Kilgore is the association they had with a presidential candidate. To my knowledge Larry Kilgore didn't pastor any of the candidates, but J wright was Obama's main man, untill the truth came out about the garbage he was preaching and then all of a sudden Obama throws him under the bus, and declares that even thought he was a member of that church for years he never heard Rev. wright speak about race. What a lie, and what type of brainless idiot would trust such a liar.

September 14, 2009 at 8:42 p.m.

• BIGJ: "If Bill Clinton, George Bush, John McCain, Ron Paul, or even Sarah Palin were elect president now, there wouldn’t be much anger."

If Ron Paul were President, I think people would be even angrier because things would be getting necessarily worse before they got better, and the media conglomerates would be crucifying him for it hourly. Would NBC/MSNBC/CNBC stand by while GE, their parent company, loses its gravy train in the Middle East? Our economy needs a natural cleansing, and the establishment isn't letting it happen. They're delaying the big crash for our kids.

On a related note, it's utter insanity to levy an additional import tax on Chinese tires when they're holding $2-3 trillion in reserves and could bring our economy to its knees through gentle dollar liquidation on the world market. Sometimes I wonder if they're trying to collapse the dollar since nearly everything they do is leading to it. Hmm, could it be that Obama and his cabinet happen to be big fans of the IMF & World Bank and would love to see an international/regional currency? Ya gotta wonder. The same questions applied to Bush, as well.

September 14, 2009 at 8:29 p.m.

• You folks are funny. How many of you after a divorce heard said they were like a different person. We find out our relatives are thieves or priest is a child molester, and our neighbor has a meth lab, yet we insist the President know the depths of the soul of thousands of employees, every word they ever wrote, every speech given, every dollar they ever spent. Totally ridiculous. Hell my own brother has done things that shock the heck out of me. Key advisers , Chief of Staff should be close but the rest are hired mostly by reputation.

September 14, 2009 at 6:33 p.m.

• Bj,

You’re a little off topic with my comment, it didn’t have any thing to do with George Wallace. Mike hit on the head i.e., financial system meltdown parse adding to the civil unrest since LBJ. I was only referring to the substance of his blog..

September 14, 2009 at 6:30 p.m.

• BigJ
    I think it has more to do with the economic situation and the fact that the current Republican Party is not a diverse one…. Greg Judd, Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins are their only senators from the Northeast… Representative Peter King(R-NY) is the only one from the Northeast. Today’s GOP is basically a southern regional party.

September 14, 2009 at 5:14 p.m.

• We've been divided and conquered.

September 14, 2009 at 5 p.m.

• Thanks for the video, Longdistanceshot.

September 14, 2009 at 4:55 p.m.

• Thanks for the history lesson BigJ

I had never heard of the Texas Regulars or the White League but I don't think they have any bearing on today's unrest. I don't even think George Wallace has anything to do with what is happening today, in the town halls or Washington, DC.

Did it get its start way back when, probably, but we have crossed that kind of racial divide because the schools, military and businesses have all integrated.

September 14, 2009 at 4:44 p.m.

• itisi
    I agree it goes back as far as LBJ but it was because of the Vietnam War, Civil Rights legislation, and Medicare. I also agree that there is a lot of uneasiness because our financial system come came to an abrupt halt last September.

High unemployment may be here to stay because we just don't manufacture anything anymore. We are doing more with less.

September 14, 2009 at 4:07 p.m.

• As far as civil unrest goes, it has been on the burner for quite some time as far back as LBJ. Government has become so intrusive in our everyday lives, from the Local, State and the Fed, it has become so out of control with a hand full of people making decision with out keeping the taxpayer informed.

It all boils down to weight and balance. Just like a small airplane if the weight and balance is off that sucker want fly or it’s going to be an uncontrollable flight. (IMO) That is happen now with this administration the weight and balance is so far off they just can’t get it off the ground.. My point here is, no you’re limits of the bird and it might fly.

September 14, 2009 at 4:01 p.m.

• BigJ
    Violence is not the answer.. That's the conservative in you....:-)
    We just need to be relentless in disproving the exaggerations, lies, myths, half-truths, and distortions....IMO

September 14, 2009 at 4:01 p.m.

• Presidents Reagan and Nixon had Czars...Many that are being called Czars have official titles . Not all 8,000 appointees are required to be confirmed by Congress.

I would not have a problem with "anti-Czar legislation."

September 14, 2009 at 3:55 p.m.

• sandwich
    you say to look at both sides but only blame Democrats.... as I have said many times, cable ratings did not win elections nor do they dictate policy.

I agree with Bill Maher and I give him his due credit for his words.

I am talking about a cooling off period to let conspiracies,lies, and exaggerations come to full light for what they are.

Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid were no better, nor worse than Michelle Bauchmann and Jim DeMint.

September 14, 2009 at 3:49 p.m.

• The issue of Van Jones being a low-level appointee makes this whole CZAR thing counter productive. (IMO).

September 14, 2009 at 3:19 p.m.

• One question,

Where have you been for all these years? You didn't see these things against Rep Prez's? Like Reagan is responsible for AIDS and on and on.

The cooling off should have started back in early 2002...but the new radicals who rule the Dems say never let a crisis go to waste, and when you research only one side and repeat their talking points. Need to replace Pelosi and Reid to start to gain some since of realism in Congress.

President Obama ratings going down, a over 2 year old Congress who passed TARP ratings going down, MSNBC-CNN ratings going down.

The only way to get facts is to look at both sides and weed out the BS. And you cite Bill Maher??!!! Now there's an elitist centrist...in North Korea.

September 14, 2009 at 3:17 p.m.