Comments

• Mike, I often think we may be on the same page on many issues. What I meant by wrongs that listed under prior administration that continue in this administration is over spending, power grabs, bickering in Congress, special favors to contributors and backers, name calling of opposition, protective legislation, statement spinners, stepping on rights of the individual, and etc. These are things I don't consider to require a lot of time to correct.
    I said many, not a large percent. If we must get into details, just whose data are we to believe? The numbers are so wide spreads are any of them believable?
    If I recall correctly, Chairman of the R.N.C., Michael S. Steele has opposed Rush numerous times. And I respect him for being his own man, and not bending to political pressure to keep quite about Rush.
    I doubt we will see the current administration being critical(standing up against)Hollywood.
    But I could care less.

September 20, 2009 at 6:16 p.m.

• Alton

That's not exactly what meant but since when do we let interpretation stand in the way?

I meant that ACORN is a political football e.g. In the last two days, Tim Pawlenty and Bobby Jindal made calls to stop funding for ACORN but Minnesota and Louisiana never had funds allocated to ACORN.,,, Bobby Jindal even issued an executive order….. Governors Pawlenty and Jindal will be running for president in 2012…. This was a move, like appearing at the Values Summit this week end, to get support from the base….ACORN had been already taken off any role in the 2010 census count.

I seriously doubt that a large percentage of the 69 million that voted for President Obama are part of any protest movement…. I would have to see data to believe your assertion.

I don't know what the hated actions of prior administrations deem to be okay today… If it is these Czars you're talking about, then I will say no one complained about them prior to Glenn Beck…. Mike Pence was the first to take the issue to the floor of the House… See you cannot name me one Republican that will stand up to Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck because they are terrified of the power those two entertainers wield…. It would be very easy to vet the speakers that will make a passionate plea to eliminate the Czars… You lose credibility if the same speakers that argued adamantly for the Czars in the previous administration are now are making that same argument against them this year….. As for removing the prior administration's actions that were reprehensible; it takes time…. Yesterday,a committee was formed to remove the immunity from the telecoms that were involved in domestic spying…..Health Care reform is the priority right now.

September 19, 2009 at 1:02 p.m.

• I believe you meant the conservative economist Thomas Sowell, not the bit actor Thomas Howell.

September 19, 2009 at 12:18 p.m.

• The current occupant of the White House and his fellow travelers in the Congress are perfect examples of an observation made by Thomas Howell:

One of the most important skills for political success is the ability to make confident assertions of absurdities and lies.

September 19, 2009 at 11:55 a.m.

• You are right about one thing,” politics as usual". And you are right the funding of ACRON will reappear hidden in another bill. There will be no change in Washington.
    The Washington Elite leadership have became a bunch of thieves, lining their pockets.
    Yes, President Bush and prior elected leadership were not perfect and made errors. Many of their actions were just plain wrong, does not make it OK to continue on the same course. Wrong does not change will party affiliation. But is appears many people want to ignore their choosen ideological leaders errors and wrong actions when they come into power.
    I don’t understand how the hated actions of prior administrations are found OK when it is someone they voted for and support.
    I contend many, not all of the protestors are upset that the administration they voted for is moving in the same direction of the administration they opposed.

September 18, 2009 at 8:23 p.m.

• You’re old conservative friends that you have to remind them about social issues. Are you implying that you’re the nucleolus of their conversation about all issues, (politics?) Perhaps I just didn’t understand that sentence... LOL!!

Bill O’reilly stated he was not for a public option on healthcare that was a ridiculous misquote from the left again.

The TEA Party was not formed because of the outcome of the election, you’re quoting from the far left, let’s keep the facts some what on a even playing field. The TEA Party is protesting big government and outrageous spending and deficit that are totally out of control, this heart burn started before Obama was elected. You continue to speak with the impression that all TEA party goers are Republicans, conservatives, which is not the case they’re from all parties and colors and back grounds. I would truly hope that you could be a little more objective in you’re opinion.

September 18, 2009 at 8:15 p.m.

• JR74
    Have a good weekend and is quite a coincidence because yesterday,I wrote blog on "too big to fail" on another site.. I will read your post and get back with you Monday...

September 18, 2009 at 11:57 a.m.

• And then you also have Ron Pauls bill, which I don't think is to bad of an idea. H.R. 1207. But I'll be back on Monday..it's time to get out of here and do some fishing! Have a good weekend Mike.

September 18, 2009 at 11:49 a.m.

• That's quite alright JR74 but I will address the health care reform plans that the GOP had.

Fact is, the GOP has added 160 amendments to the Senate health care plan but since they are out of power they cannot really set up a committee because they don't have the votes.

Michael Steele's words did not help the GOP's cause when he said that let Democrats go on their own they have the or when Roy Blunt, Missouri Republican representative, said” Our bill is never going to get to the floor, so why confuse the focus? We clearly have principles; we could have language, but why start diverting attention from this really bad piece of work [the Democrats have] got to whatever we’re offering right now?...”

Those bills you mention do not have a cost attached to them, nor do they have CBO estimation…

Jim DeMint’s call to boycott any health care reform so it will be Obama’s Waterloo, has to be considered…DeMint’s call for interstate competition will take a federal policy to overturn some state laws..10th amendment issues?

September 18, 2009 at 11:48 a.m.

• Ok, I'll take a shot at that one then. lol =) And not that I am a republican, I'm not rich enough, I have already stated I am a Libritarian. Back on July 23rd the republican did bring a bill to the table, House Republicans, led by Financial Services Committee Ranking Member Spencer Bachus (AL), introduced comprehensive legislation to modernize and streamline the regulatory structure of the financial services industry. The Consumer Protection and Regulatory Enhancement Act provides for the resolution of insolvent non-bank financial institutions - no matter how large or systemically important - through the bankruptcy system. It creates a Market Stability and Capital Adequacy Board that is charged with monitoring the interactions of various sectors of the financial system, and identifying risks that could endanger the stability and soundness of the system. It establishes an Office of Consumer Protection, with enhanced authority, within a consolidated regulatory agency to streamline in one place responsibility for rulemaking and enforcement of Federal consumer protection laws. The legislation also restores the Federal Reserve's monetary policy mandate by relieving it of current regulatory and supervisory responsibilities. Taxpayer subsidies of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac would end, as would Federal regulators' reliance on use of credit rating agencies. The Republican plan presents a clear alternative to the "too big to fail" government policy that many economists and market analysts believe would be institutionalized by the Obama Administration's regulatory reform agenda. The legislation ends the unprecedented government interventions and use of taxpayer dollars to bail out financial firms and pick winners and losers in the economy. Taxpayers will no longer be asked to pick up the tab for bad bets on Wall Street while some creditors and counterparties of failed firms are made whole. The legislation seeks to restore market discipline so that financial firms will no longer expect the government to rescue them from the consequences of imprudent business decisions.

September 18, 2009 at 11:37 a.m.

• Gotcha Mike. Sorry my mind is stuck on this heathcare bill.

September 18, 2009 at 11:24 a.m.

• I'm sorry JR74 but I meant to say "Financial Reform bill."..I will correct that misunderstanding..My fault.

September 18, 2009 at 11:22 a.m.

• "Mike
    I heard a troublesome fact that we do not have enough knowledgeable politicians for Congress to develop their own reform package."

Actually there were 3 bills from the Republicans.The three Republican bills total almost 400 pages and have been on the table since May and June. In May, Republicans in the House and the Senate formed a bicameral coalition to produce the130-page “Patients Choice Act of 2009.” In June, Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) introduced the “Health Care Freedom Plan,” a 41-page proposal.
    And in July, the Republican Study Committee, under the leadership of Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.), unveiled the “Empowering Patients First Act,” a 130-page plan.
    Some of the provisions included in one or more of the bills include: investing in preventive medicine, an overhaul of Medicaid, reduction of abuse and fraud in the Medicare program, supplemental health insurance for low-income families, tax credits for health insurance, and a ban on federal funds being used for abortions.

Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.)However, supporters of the Democratic plans have accused Republicans of trying to derail attempts at reforming health care without having a plan of their own.
    “There is no Republican health care plan out there,” Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) told Talk Radio News Service on July 31 about what he called the Republican-backed “misinformation campaign” that is slowing health care reform.
    He said Republicans are satisfied with the status quo and “don’t want to show the American people where they stand on these issues.
    In May, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) said his bill, co-sponsored by Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.), and Reps. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), puts a priority on patients and their ability to oversee their own health care choices.

September 18, 2009 at 11:17 a.m.