Comments

• Mike.

My statement about John’s changing positions is not an opinion, but a hard and true fact. If the majority of Victoria was liberal, John would be a raging leftist. The thing with Mr. Lara, is he wants to be part of the group. Allowing himself to switch his mind in order to be popular and well liked.

I remember during the 2008 election, John Lara did say he is pro-Hilary. However I find it odd that Lara supported a candidate that back the same idea (Health Care) as Barack Obama? I also find it odd that John would bash then senator Barack Obama on principle, but praise Hillary Clinton in the same breath?

Gee talk about principle? A weak person is a person who changes positions because he or she would rather not weather the storm and MAN UP !!!!!!!! A weak person is a person who rather be popular, than being right. A weak person is a person who quotes oneself to make him or herself more important. A Weak person is a person who offer himself or herself for 30 pieces of silver.

Mike, Why John never directly reply to my comment, but to yours. This is not an opinion but a fact. I know why Lara is bashing the President and it has nothing to do with party, politics, principle and ideology. Mike, I think you already know the answer.

April 8, 2010 at 7:52 p.m.

• Too put it bluntly, I was screwing with you. Like that old saying “good show, chap!”

If you haven’t yet realized it, I have a precocious and voracious sense of humor. Sometimes people get it, sometimes they don’t.

In really simple terms, “I like what you said very much“.

Sometimes your such a goof ball, whether you mean too be or not, “take the damn complement buddy“.

April 8, 2010 at 4:09 p.m.

• Huh?

April 8, 2010 at 4:04 p.m.

• Well said, I may have found a new respect for you, but then again…that’s just my opinion, lol!

April 8, 2010 at 4:01 p.m.

• John
    Believe it or not I don’t buy into ideology(I put that in my profile) and I won’t say anything if you do..It’s when someone calls their ideology superior that I will make a comment because I have seen pros & cons of Conservatism.Liberalism, Libertarianism etc…I see the flaws of my own party but I don’t discard an old family member because of an error…I continue to try and help and he/she as they will me when I lose my way.

I don’t buy all that media hype; I am almost 65 years old and I have seen partisan food fights for just about all of those years…I will admit it’s gotten worse these last few years.

It was not just the politicians that screwed up the country, we were overextended, uniformed, and the free markets had a hand in it too.

I never said “It’s too hard” but I have seen too many Pie-in-the-sky assumptions that the political party I belong to will get things done…It's empty rhetoric until it gets done.

1. We must admit we need to fix the entitlements and defense spending and vote for those that will make the hard decisions…Not hold a candidate to a “no tax pledge” or a “no entitlement cut pledge”
    2. Need to reform Wall Street and not let lobbyist money get in the way.
    3. Campaign Finance Reform is badly needed.

Those are starts but it doesn’t matter if I am a democrat or if you are an Independent Conservative, in the greater scheme of things.

April 8, 2010 at 2:22 p.m.

• Mike,

I’m a sane, intelligent, very aware human being. When I ally myself with a group it’s based on principles, if the groups principles change substantially against the premise in which I joined; what would you expect of me, too just go along with it?

That is a weak person, with no backbone; someone I am not.

Anyone can say “Conservatism” but true conservatives know what that means; it’s away of life. To imply that someone’s way of life doesn’t work, despite proof everyday to the contrary is ridiculous and idiotic. Am I suppose to believe that the happiness and empowerment I enjoy, from living a life as a Conservative is false; because someone “Wrote in” it doesn’t work, lol!

This is what I was referring too Mike, about the difference between opinion and reality. If a persons life was “working”; but because of the decisions of both Republicans and Democrats now it’s not, what are Americans to believe?

I’d assume, that both Republicans and Democrats are at fault for screwing up the country; and all they can do is point the figure at each other, or someone else. That getting elected is more important than “honoring” the trust place upon them by their constituents.

Come on Mike, your assertions “implying” it’s too hard, they will get voted out, it‘s the other parties fault not mine, etc.. leave one to assume that politicians are a bunch of adolescents or children. I don’t think that does justice to those representatives and constituents that are trying to fix things in a responsible and sane manner.

Just because there are new leaks every time the plumber fixes one, you don’t sell the house, you start by getting a new plumber.

April 8, 2010 at 1:53 p.m.

• Writein

It is just my opinion but I think John changes positions when he gets frustrated. Yes, I remember him being a Hillary Democrat, when she lost; he became a McCain Democrat, then a Conservative Democrat and now an Independent Conservative. His feet doesn’t gather any moss. That’s OK, but one day he will find out that his Utopian Party does not exist, you know the kind that adheres to a single-issue, group think constituents, and never makes individual human errors.

The idea that both parties are the same ,is just not true..The HCR bill did not have one single GOP vote, the stimulus only 3, etc….Their platforms are different as night & day...i.e. Democrats will not cut benefits but are willing to raise the cap (taxes) and the GOP will cut benefits but are not will to raise the cap..The GOP will not cut defense spending; the Dems will not cut benefits. Then there is the pro choice, environmental issues, minimum wage, across the board tax cuts, vouchers versus public school funding, global warming, and ranges of issues that separate the two parties.

Then there are those that want a 1950s conservative party because they are not comfortable living in this multicultural country .where conservatism used to mean instant credibility. They will call the current GOP, RHINOs, because they are not conservative enough…You are right; who would want to live in a country to the right of Michelle Bachmann, Sarah Palin and Jim DeMint?

I don’t agree with your last sentence; conservatism can be a component of good governing but it cannot be the only component..i.e. If that were the case, we would not have had Civil rights, the moon shot, the EPA or the Clean Air Act….Every ideology must be considered and compromises made, while holding on to your core principles…Wait, I may be describing another form of the Utopia Party.

April 8, 2010 at 9:26 a.m.

• Let me add this as well conservatism doesn’t work.

April 8, 2010 at 5:44 a.m.

• John Lara.

You need to make your mind. Two years ago, you proclaim and boost on this site that you were a “Conservative Democrat” now you are boosting you are an independent conservative. I got news for you, John, conservative is a conservative. Let me repeat conservative is just a conservative. You are following the Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity model, they say they are not GOPers but they have political agendas.

I do not believe your word one bit because back then, John Lara, you propose a Socialist/dictatorship-type idea of having the CPS (via government) invading someone’s home to solution the education problem. However you deleted those comments after receiving comments.

April 8, 2010 at 5:10 a.m.

• Ex

The reason you said “Also, I'm not really sure what the Israeli lobby has to do with any of this... the only people who I ever notice bringing up AIPAC all seem to be anti-semites. I'm not saying that that makes you an anti-semite, just that AIPAC seems to be a frequent target of said individuals' attacks...and “Also, I'm not really sure what the Israeli lobby has to do with any of this” is that you seem to think you have the only train of thought.

I am not talking about one world government, Trilateral Commission or a group of people that elect our president just Beltway folks that will convince those that need convincing to assure smoother sailing…A favorable book by Bob Woodward will go a long way, Joe Biden & Bill Clinton can let the good old boys Obama won’t take away their guns, and yes, former Mayor Ed Koch can assure the Jewish Community that the administration still has their interest at heart…It’s called playing to establishment politics.

April 7, 2010 at 3:13 p.m.

• Ex that's just your opinion;nothing else.

I really don't care what you accuse me of what it might look like because I comfortable in my own skin. I've made enough posts so I don't have to walk on eggshells. My reputation is out there good or bad. It's a person like you that makes it a big deal to have a difference of opinion.

I remember President Obama had to do a retake when he made a speech before the AIPAC and almost reconsidered his nomination for the Presidential Medal of Freedom because AIPAC did not like Mary Robinson. His first speech before them was considered a big deal. Why? They are still our biggest ally in the Middle East but we won’t always agree with them..President Bush did not let them attack Iran in 2008.

I didn’t even like my own religion lobbying the Congress because it makes them a lobbyist group without registering; as such…. If they did, they would lose their exempt status...Doesn't mean I am anti-Catholic.

I think you are just trying to stir the pot by denying you are trying to stir the pot…Didn’t work.

April 7, 2010 at 2:54 p.m.

• If people are not going to take every news network with a pinch of salt then they are beyond the help of any rational thinker.

As much as I dislike the majority of Faux News' programming I was quite disturbed by CNN's new tagline - "We watch the news so you don't have to"

I think that sums it up in a nutshell, apathy is far worse than simple ignorance

April 7, 2010 at 2:48 p.m.

• the Fox Network is all about scaring people into believing their propaganda! read all the networks then form your"own" opinion! unless you've already been dumbed by Fox!

April 7, 2010 at 2:42 p.m.

• Name some Republicans that will disavow what Rush says and not retract their words the next day…I named big party donors, but the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, and old money are some the Obama Administration will not knock heads with…You had to put it all together as a whole.

I hope far right conservative, Senator Tom Colburn of Oklahoma, set the trend; when he told his constituents that he may be 180 degrees apart on how they view the world... but Nancy Pelosi is a nice lady..When they started booing, he questioned if they have ever met her and told them not to succumb to the bias Fox News puts out…Now if one democrat does the same; it will be a start.

April 7, 2010 at 2:11 p.m.

• Administrations are never the establishment,they come and go...The editor of the Washington Post,NYT,Wall Street,Think Tank heads,Rush Limbaugh,Roger Ailes,old money,party heads and donors are considered the Establishment...Can't get elected or reelected without them.

April 7, 2010 at 1:47 p.m.

• John
    I stand by my statements that” constituents have varying opinions” because it makes more sense than one person speaking for all of them.

Our deficits and debts have been going up forever; the founding fathers borrowed to fund the Revolution… We both agree that the deficit and debt is too high but would probably disagree as to why, or what steps we should take to reduce them.. Defense spending and entitlements are our big expenditures; which do you want to cut and name some candidates that will get elected, running on that platform? We want Social Security and Medicare but we don't want to raise taxes or make some cuts; to pay for them. Hamid Karzai (President of Afghanistan) said if we don't meet his terms; he will join the Taliban; yet we will pour billions into that country to train their police force, educate their children, and prop up the government.

You said Independent Conservatives are saying " now's the hour of discontent.” I ask “who are these people, how many are there, what is the leader's name, and where do they reside?” Can you post a reference? It looks like one of them polls that say Mr. X will lose to an unnamed candidate.

Don't mince my words; I never said rights of constituents are subjective. You said “Do right by constituents.” I said constituent wants vary; some wanted HCR, some thought the bailouts were necessary, some thought additional troops to Afghanistan were necessary; some think water boarding is not torture. You cannot possibly speak for all of them…hence, varying opinions

April 7, 2010 at 1:41 p.m.

• A “pot hole”, is not an opinion, it’s a tangible problem that “constituents” can point too. Countries are losing their ratings because of to much debt, if our interest rating goes up, the taxes our children will be paying will too.

Our debt is going up in part to government subsidies, corruptible mismanagement, and tax breaks to special interest.

Your statement, “is subjective since people have varying opinions”, in regards to mine “Do right by constituents” is misleading and in error; with all due respect.

Too put it in simple terms your comment was…a cop out, bull malarkey, or shrugging the responsibilities of representatives.

I’m not taking sides, but enough is enough. People tend to forget this is not about politics anymore. It’s about the lives sacrificed for this country and those that continue to sacrifice; every representative is obligated to honor those lives by conducting and demanding a responsible government.

The old arguments and excuses are now hollow; President Obama was right to say “If not now then when”. Independent Conservatives are saying “now”, now is the hour of our discontent, now is the time to change, now is the time to fight for America. The old political systems have brought America to it’s knees, but average Americans will raise it out of the ashes like a phoenix.

Do rights by constituents is not subjective, it’s American Representative Democracy, I’m surprise you didn’t recognize it?

April 7, 2010 at 1:05 p.m.

• That low level appointment was a surprise because it was another choice that disappointed the base, environmentalist, and labor and this was the guy that openly criticized Michelle Obama’s horticultural philosophy.

The Obama administration initially had a strict “no lobbyist will be a member of the cabinet rule” but quickly found out that you couldn’t sneeze anywhere in Washington without a lobbyist being near enough to say “Bless you.”…The administration still has some strong lobbyist clauses for a cabinet member that leaves.

The leverage lobbyists have over congress, has nothing to do with the “right to petition the government”, as Obama said many times on the campaign trail, “lobbyist can have a seat at the table; just not all the seats.”…The second day in office, the newly elected representative has to start asking for campaign contributions for their next election; lobbyist money means less phone calls.i.e. A quick check with Opensecrets.com will reveal that the HCR committee members received the most money from the insurance industry and the same for financial reform etc…Not exactly scapegoats; after all, how much money can a legislator get from his constituents in Montana, Alabama, Misssissippi, Utah or West Virginia?

Change usually comes with incremental steps because the Washington establishment will not willing change; nor will it change overnight..Doesn’t mean you stop trying; just because of an occasional hiccup now and then…Their detractors will not acknowledge the accomplishments, but they must not let that deter them…IMO

April 7, 2010 at 11:56 a.m.

• John
    That’s what democracy is all about but contributions to the two major parties are not easing and I believe the party out of power will vote in great numbers.

I don’t think it is about constituents or representatives; it’s about the stranglehold the lobbyist have...With the recent SCOTUS ruling ;it's only going to get worse unless we get serious about campaign reform.

“Do right by constituents” is subjective since people have varying opinions.

April 7, 2010 at 10:57 a.m.

• Eventually the “pot hole” gets so big or there are so many, you have to organize politically. If representatives just did right by their constituents, then decision making could be left on “cruise control“.

When the “two sides of the same party”, let things get real bad it’s time to act.

April 7, 2010 at 10:45 a.m.

• John
    OK, I've never heard of by an independent conservative without a political agenda but I will take your word. If that's the case why get in the political arena?

How many times have I heard of that above the fray, optimum political party that won't be like the Republicans or Democrats? Those people never get elected and their political party never gets off the ground or more importantly, never gets to govern. They don’t have a track record.

President Obama is a pragmatic person and he knows the consequences of his actions. Every candidate will profess to be an independent thinker that interprets constitutional law and will not legislate from the bench; they will pretend to be like umpires and just call the balls and strikes. In reality, they come with a preconceived agenda. It's still about Roe v Wade.

President Obama, like presidents before him, has been vetting candidates for the appellate and Supreme Court, since day one.

When Justice Ginsburg retires, she will do it in Obama's administration, so he can pick another liberal and keep the balance on the Supreme Court. It’s the justice that comes after her, which will either maintain the status quo or swing it to the left.

April 6, 2010 at 4:15 p.m.

• Republican Conservatives are a “bit” different than Independent Conservatives.

The big difference, is that they have no political agenda.

They don’t see that the glass is half full like one party, or that it’s half empty like the other; they just figure out what’s going on and work to make what needs to happen, happen.

Every real Independent Conservative is a critical thinker, and doesn’t receive their opinions from someone else; “they wear their big boy and girl pants”.

That is the kind of persona I hope Obama appoints to the supreme court; a critical independent thinker that interprets constitutional law, in a rational and pragmatic manner. A real person who’s loyalty is to ensuring the constitutionality of our democracy, not a political agenda.

April 6, 2010 at 3:38 p.m.

• John
    I don't think unemployment has bottomed out because this small glimmer of hope will bring out those that are still seeking employment; so they will be counted and unemployment will probably go up again. People like the Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, think that unemployment will be unacceptably high until spring of next year.

It's a good bet that President Obama will nominate the first, female Solicitor General, Elena Kagan, to be the next nominee for Supreme Court justice…. Why would he pick a conservative and tip the balance of the court? We currently have four conservatives, four liberals and Justice Kennedy (swing vote) who has been voting with conservatives.

Elena Kagan has not been an appellate court justice, so she doesn't have a record the Republicans can tear apart, and as Solicitor General she has practiced before the Supreme Court arguing the government’s position.

April 6, 2010 at 1:37 p.m.

• Mike,

I hope he appoints a conservative woman.

April 6, 2010 at 12:13 p.m.

• Mike,

I told everyone, last year, around January, that unemployment would bottom out in March or April. I think you even commented on it; before I deleted the whole post.

April 6, 2010 at 12:09 p.m.