Comments

• Mike, it is my opinion that these same people were angry during the Bush, Clinton, Bush and yes even Reagan years. The straw was Healthcare, and the fact that it was something the majority of Americans opposed but was pushed through without regard to that fact.

June 10, 2010 at 11:31 a.m.

• Holein1

Just so my words will not be taken out of context,I will give you a little more detail... I would go into more detail but I have a scheduled appointment.

The Tea Party got a lot of publicity(specially from Fox News etc.) as an angry group that wanted to take America back.. The group was frustrated with the bailouts, Wall Street, deficits that and big government. I think they held in their frustration during the Bush administration because they are basically frustrated republicans.

The democrats and independents held that same anger over Iraq,(stay the course) so they displaced the GOP in 2006, and repeated that effort in 2008 without rallies, publicity, or lobbyist groups.

I could be wrong but that is my opinion.

June 10, 2010 at 11:11 a.m.

• Holein1
    I said no such thing about the Tea party being rich; I was merely commenting on the results of that poll..... And I also said stated that I disagreed with many points of that poll....

I don't want to really rehash the healthcare reform bill but 31 million Americans was not the initial number nor was it main reason democrats wanted to pass it....It was more about a belief than numbers....Besides when you factor in those moved to Medicaid,those going on Medicare,and different aspects;it was a lot more than just 31 million.

Being wealthy is not a bad thing and the statement I made had nothing to do with nationality; unless I wanted to emphasize that that the Tea Party is not inclusive.

People can twist these short posts to their benefit....

I am just about politics, not racial hang ups or class warfare..... This cannot be taken out of context..." I think the Tea Party will go the way of the Whig Party."

This blog is two months old.

June 10, 2010 at 10:52 a.m.

• "I agree with Governor's Rendell's words yesterday,when he said "We are giving way too attention to the thoughts of18-20 % of America'."

Wow, what a statement, considering the healthcare reform bill was mostly about the 31 million Americans that were not covered, which is about 10% of the nations population.

Mike, both parties are run by what most would consider rich white people. The fact that you say Tea Party members are out of touch with average Amercians because they are rich is typical left talking points. Considering the wealth of Congress and the President, would you say that they are out of touch as well?

June 10, 2010 at 10:25 a.m.

• You say duped ;I say informed voters.

April 19, 2010 at 11:58 a.m.

• That's voters because babies,some felons,non citizens,sick, homeless or those had to work and unable to vote absentee ....Can't use the 305,529,237 people(total population) against those that actually voted, to say 69 million votes was not impressive.

A 21% turnout in an off year election will be impressive.

April 19, 2010 at 11:49 a.m.

• itisi

Thanks for the kind words…I think.

I guess you think I like to antagonize (fisherman) but any blogger can get that tag because of varying opinions…IMO...Perhaps in this forum I antagonize more than most but if I were to write a “I hate Obama blog;”I would be considered mainstream..:-)

You caught me, I did leave out that poll question and answer that stated that 58% of ALL AMERICANS think the country is moving toward socialism…..I did say I cherry picked the things I thought were important…I never mentioned whether I agreed with the results of that poll…Like you, I thought the poll was interesting but not gospel; like Alton of Edna said” there are other polls with different results.”

Politico came with a Tea Party poll this morning that proved my point…The CBS/NYT poll stated that the people that support the Tea Party movement tend to be college educated..That may be but they pick unelectable people to be their leaders..In that case ,college educated doesn’t equate to intelligence.

The Politico poll had this list of their leaders.

1. Sarah Palin….15%
    2. Ron Paul……12%
    3. Michelle Bachmann…..8%
    4. Congressman Paul Ryan …6%

If Congressman Paul Ryan was the leader of that movement; they would be more acceptable because Congressman Ryan is not a bomb thrower or a conspiracy theorist, and he seems to be one that would be willing to sit down and come up with a compromise.

I agree with Governor's Rendell's words yesterday,when he said "We are giving way too attention to the thoughts of18-20 % of America'... (Tea Party) "

April 19, 2010 at 10:04 a.m.

• Mike,

I really do enjoy reading your BLOGS. You’re a good fisherman, because you can throw that hook line and sinker method, and will get the bites. It is good reading and entertainment.

One thing about it, writein/bj or what ever avatar he is using, really keeps me rolling in the floor with laughter from his ridiculous comments. I don’t leave in Victoria anymore so I try not to make many comments, but I do click on time to time to see what is happen in the city.

I read the CBS New York Times poll it was interesting, I did find where the question was ask; is the country moving more towards socialism, and 58 percent answered yes. I didn’t see that part in your BLOG only the comments about the Tea Party.

Good day

April 18, 2010 at 9:21 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 18, 2010 at 8:25 a.m.

• Victroe.

You EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN. YOU, YES YOU, sent me a threatening email. Mike is talking about a poll, I am not. There is report about this during last July and August.

President Obama have receive 400% more threats then any other modern President. Instead of you sticking your head in the sand or in you know what, maybe you should LOOK IT UP YOURSELF !!!!!!!!!

April 18, 2010 at 1:28 a.m.

• Victroe.

You EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN. YOU sent me a threaten email. Mike is talking about a poll, I am not. There is report about this during last July and August.

April 17, 2010 at 10:35 p.m.

• The only thing that I see endangered in the Tea Party movement is common sense.

April 17, 2010 at 9:37 p.m.

• SouthTexas...". Lets have term limits and stipulate that congress not pass any law that applies to the public that does not also apply to them and vice versa"

I'm all for that. BUT! The first thing that has to happen is we have to fire congress. Before laws can be passed to limit terms and apply all laws to congress as well as mainline citizens, there will have to be a new set of congress critters elected who will do the bidding of the people for whom they work -- the American citizens. It's certain THIS bunch won't pass such legislation and BO wouldn't sign it. It's less than 200 days till the next election. We need to use the opportunity to fire congress. The entire House is up for election and a third of the Senate. Fire'em. Get the attention of the ones we do elect. Remind them that they can be fired too. Don't give obama the chance to make all the illegals in this country into democrat voters. If that happens, the country really is doomed.

April 17, 2010 at 6:21 p.m.

• Lol "Your total lack of rational thought continues to amaze me" as if I value your opinion,thoughts, and right wing rhetoric.

How vain.

But I won't prevent me from enjoying this fine rainy Saturday;why don't you do the same.

April 17, 2010 at 2:57 p.m.

• Mike....Your total lack of rational thought continues to amaze me. Just keep on....the tea party movement consists of the endangered species.....the taxpayer who is sick and tired of working and being taxed to death and seeing it only get worse. Get rid of these people and everyone is screwed. These people are not radicals....they are like myself and my friends. I am a moderate...believe in abortion, believe in a gay person's right to form a legally biding union with someone he/she loves, even though I don't think it should be called marriage....however I do not believe the government can run businesses better than individuals and that those same businesses should be allowed to fail and the economy will correct itself. I also know from 1st hand experience that the healthcare bill is a very dangerous joke....and has nothing at all to do with health nor with "care". Anyone with a brain cell one who can read knows that Obama has been tied to socialist/communist influences throughout his life. Okay....we made a mistake....it is time to get rid of Obama and basically time to clean house on both party sides. Lets have term limits and stipulate that congress not pass any law that applies to the public that does not also apply to them and vice versa.

April 17, 2010 at 2:50 p.m.

• "The health-care reform bill is not a liberal bill......nor did it have a public option." LOL !

April 17, 2010 at 12:06 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 17, 2010 at 12:04 p.m.

• Victore

A partisan Democrat is also in my profile;I don't run away from it ,as some do.It doesn't mean a thing since I believe every one has an agenda and a bias....

Well if you don't not believe the poll or have anything worthwhile evidence to contradict it;why do you waste your time responding?...I don't waste my time going into right wing blogs to correct their their views.

Yes,there is an oath and understanding but so does the the communication directors,chief of staff,Vice-presidents or other cabinet members but they all leak and write books;even the secret service.

April 17, 2010 at 11:24 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 17, 2010 at 11:11 a.m.

• Victore

I really don't believe you read the 27 page poll because you don’t even read my replies; you just attack with the same talking points. If I had a choice between a poster’s opinion and pollsters whose credibility is on the line; I will go with the professional pollsters every time. It's not like you don't have a bias for your opinions but you will criticize CBS with New York Times for their perceived bias.

As I state in my profile, I am a political junkie, waking up seeking the latest political news and going to bed listening to political news on my satellite radio. I hear and see a lot of things that I cannot recall as to who said it and when, but that information is readily available; if I think I need it….. The 30 to 40 death threats has been discussed on several TV talk shows and it was discussed heavily when a man showed up to President Obama’s town hall meeting in New Hampshire bearing a loaded gun and again in Arizona where people showed up with AR 15s. You are right saying the Secret Service keeps that information secret because they do not want to encourage more threats but a former Secret Service agent, who is writing a book, talked about the information he received from friends that are still in the Secret Service. You can choose to believe it or not but I didn't just make up the story; just because you have never heard it, doesn't mean it doesn’t exist.

As I sometimes do when I'm questioned... I will leave a reference but I don't think you will acknowledge it.
    Barack Obama faces 30 death threats a day, stretching US Secret Service
    US President Barack Obama is the target of more than 30 potential death threats a day and is being protected by an increasingly over-stretched and under-resourced Secret Service, according to a new book.

April 17, 2010 at 10:42 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 17, 2010 at 10:34 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 17, 2010 at 10:28 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 17, 2010 at 10:10 a.m.

• Oh no...someone is trying to figure out who the Tea Partiers are? Wealthy individuals, mad Republicans who do not have to work but can travel the country at any given moment? Blah.

I'm a Tea Partier and I work for a living so I don't fit the profile that a liberal broacasting company painted.

My thoughts are that the only people who would have a problem with Tea Parties or their members are the sheep who blindly follow either party and their ideas and who simply can't think for themselves.

Tax soda water? Tax foods? Force health care? The same people who applaud a sitting President who apologizes for America being America? Those people who would tell us what we can eat and what we can't. Those people who do not have a clue about how gun control only causes more problems and fixes nothing. The Nancy Pelosis of the country...

Those taxes, that health care and those people are the reasons I'm a member.

April 17, 2010 at 9:58 a.m.

• Good morning arlewil

It wasn't that I didn't understand what you meant; it was the fact that a silent majority cannot be measured.

No disrespect, but conservatives are not the only ones that work hard and try to build a future for themselves and their children… Some liberals even join the military, work three jobs, wife works and their children worked at an early age just to support their family.

The children, grandchildren and governing from the center are just talking points that were dusted off shortly after January 1, 2009…. This is the reason I say that.

1. There was no mention of children and grandchildren when the GOP passed two tax cuts for the wealthy, engaged in two wars, and passed a $7 trillion Medicare part D that was not paid for.
    2. No one asked President Bush to govern from the center.
    3. The health-care reform bill is not a liberal bill… March 19, 2009 stocks in the health industry peaked and continued because this bill heavily favored the insurance industry. It was not a single-payer universal health care bill, nor did it have a public option.
    4. The silent majority might be those 31 million who will be covered by the year 2014, those that will not be burdened with being denied for preexistence conditions, allowed to keep their dependents until they are 26 years old, and seniors who will be helped by the fixing of the donut hole.
    5. True, the Democrats and the administration lost the message war with a constant negative barrage and lies by Fox News, talk radio, and some right wing legislators.

If the Tea Party is the silent majority then it will go the way of the Ron Paul Revolution and the Ross Perot bandwagon because that 18% will win off year elections but not presidential elections…IMO

April 17, 2010 at 9:29 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 17, 2010 at 9:24 a.m.

• Victore.

The media and the serect service did report that the President receive threats.

Speaking on that subject, I do know my enemy, Victore. Since you email me.

April 17, 2010 at 8:39 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 17, 2010 at 8:21 a.m.

• Mike
    About a year ago, I commented to you that the Healthcare Bill had awakened the "Silent Majority". At that time you really did not understand what I meant. My definition of the silent majority are people, much like myself, who have spent most of their life working, trying to build a better future for themselves and their children. Although, we vote, we refrain from getting involved in political discussions. Most of us are disappointed with the direction of the President's agenda and had hoped he would govern from the center of the political spectrum. We want our children and grandchildren to grow up in a country with the same opportunities we had when we were young. The silent majority has awakened and is reflected in the Tea Party movement.

April 17, 2010 at 8:03 a.m.

• I can not help but laugh, well let me see, all of them people that are demonstrating at the economic summits and all of them meetings do not work, they want social justice but do not want to work. Now the TPs are rich and dont have to work? So where does that leave us? Oh yea, here posting comments about that do not work.

April 16, 2010 at 10:05 p.m.

• Mike
    I cannot disagree with the 18% make up of the tea party. However I personally would be suspect of CBS. More important I think is a recent Gallup poll reported that the make up of the tea party is the same as the average American makeup. And 43% are independents and democrats. That means the make up is not wealthy and all republicans. I think we need another poll, but certainly not by Fox, maybe NBC.
    Alton

April 16, 2010 at 8:01 p.m.

• Mike, it's intellectually dishonest to try to pin the actions of others on Paul. I think he's proven ad infinitum that he bucks the politically arbitrary trend of his party and doesn't sell himself out, yet you continue to saddle him tendencies he hasn't displayed. If he's been outspoken about government health care, why is it a "gimmick" for him to introduce a bill to repeal government health care, especially if it brings debate to the House floor?

If you view his principled consistency in the same light as Bush's brand of "consistency", we can't have an honest discussion.

April 16, 2010 at 7:01 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 16, 2010 at 6:30 p.m.

• Good point Mike,

All the "evil" that the party in power at a certain time does, according to the party out of power. That has been going on for years by both political parties.

Which part of the federal government to axe to shrink government? That is a question without a answer, every politician, bureaucrat and civil servant, enjoys the power their position in government gives them, no matter which political philosophy they adhere to. Shrink the government? No, why would they?

Some interesting points have been made about bills that a politician introduces or votes for.

Back when Steve Holzheauser was a state rep., I talk to one of his aides. I asked him why SH voted for a certain bill,it seemed out of character for SH, he replied, "The votes were already there to pass it, so Steve made a deal to vote for it, so he would get a yea vote on one of his bills." (paraphrased).

And that is politics, not really about philosophy, but playing the game.

April 16, 2010 at 6:27 p.m.

• Gansoblanco
    I heard a Republican strategist say that very thing this morning.... Only 28% of Americans call themselves Republicans, so they need the Tea Right but do they want to drift that far right and scare off the moderates…. The Democratic strategist said the Tea Party movement is their secret weapon.

They keep wanting smaller government; so do they want to dismantle Homeland Security, SSA, VA or the Defense Department? They really don't have any specifics.

April 16, 2010 at 5:33 p.m.

• Victore
    I answered your question but you dodged mine...Are you one of those posters doesn't read my reply because you are busy trying to post another partisan quote?..Now,I have answered your question but you and BSspotter seem to want to dodge mine.

April 16, 2010 at 5:20 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 16, 2010 at 5:13 p.m.

• BSspotter
    No, I am not reaching; he is in a gerrymandered district and in the many years I have asked the question of Ron Paulites, just about all say they support him to a point. Just to the point where he starts to wander in La la land.

No, I'm not implying that Ron Paul likes health-care reform just emphasizing the numbers are not there for his gimmick to pass but it will make a good talking point, when he needs it. Ron Paul has been in office long enough to know that.

I did compliment him on being consistent but I did the same thing for George W. Bush. Resolute is not always a good character trait.

I tried to describe politics to you but you seem to think Ron Paul is above the fray…. under the administration of George W. Bush, the GOP tried to pass a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, three times, knowing it would not pass because the numbers weren't there. Some were sincere but seems to me a compromise would be better than attempting to try and pass something that is doomed to fail.

Now ,don't run away fro your loaded statement....

Mike, the existence of a racial issue would make your job easier, wouldn't it?

April 16, 2010 at 5:10 p.m.

• The Tea Party folks don't seem to be very well organized and appear to have many smaller bandwagons instead of one big one. Don't know how effective that is going to be.

From where I sit the Tea Partyers present more of a threat to the Republicans than they do the Democrats and promise to push more moderates away from the GOP.

Dividing the Conservative vote didn't help Bush Sr. or Mr. Perot if memory serves.

April 16, 2010 at 4:59 p.m.

• Mike, are you implying that Ron Paul likes the health care reform and doesn't want his bill to pass? He has been proactive by introducing his own health care bills in the past, so he's not just jumping on a bandwagon. You've even complimented him on being consistent. Do you think he doesn't really mean it?

And your "safe seat" premise doesn't hold water. He's done many things that weren't considered "safe" or "popular", even among his own constituents. You're reaching.

April 16, 2010 at 4:53 p.m.

• Victore

Your memory doesn’t have to be that good; scroll down I said that in this thread with context.

You must not watch or listen to many political shows because “President Obama being black and left of center” is acknowledged by conservative Republicans (who don’t try to side step the issue) as maybe being one of the reasons for the Bithers, and the radical right wing.

The rest is just the same old left, right, libral bad statements you always make

Now, in return I will ask you a question “If you don’t mind me asking?”

How can you continue to lecture me on my statements but in the same breath say “The libs finally got their guy a radical left winger with a shot of socialism in the arm?”

Don’t you think you are a tiny bit partisan or do you think you are straight down the middle?

April 16, 2010 at 4:49 p.m.

• These people will never be anything more than an irrelevant minority who ignore the facts.
    They can’t make a majority out of people like themselves and will self-destruct like the minutemen.

April 16, 2010 at 4:47 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 16, 2010 at 4:32 p.m.

• BSspotter said “if he genuinely thinks his Bill is necessary and consistent with his principles, should he just not introduce it for fear of appearing to be opportunistic?

That old political trick has been used time and time again….i.e. New York Representative Anthony Wiener introduced a bill to repeal Medicare; knowing full well the Republicans would vote no…. There such a thing called political gimmickry…. Remember the gasoline holiday tax proposed by Hillary Clinton and John McCain; knowing full well it with a gimmick.

Like I continue to say; a politician with principles; reside in a safe seat.

How can that bill be necessary if you cannot get the necessary votes to pass the house, senate and get the president's signature…. It's like that campaign slogan the Republicans will try to use “we will repeal health care reform” but do the math; they would have to do a complete sweep; then some.

April 16, 2010 at 4:31 p.m.

• Mike, the existence of a racial issue would make your job easier, wouldn't it?
    That is going to take some big explaining.

Job? I am retired.

April 16, 2010 at 4:28 p.m.

April 16, 2010 at 4:18 p.m.

• You are right John,I do ridiculed the Tea Party but they are not without sin just because you favor them.

I don't know of many who identify themselves as being a Democrat but I don't run down America but I believe that old Bill Clinton saying "There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America."...

April 16, 2010 at 4:17 p.m.

• Victore
    On a more serious side; I wish I could have been one of those (estimates vary from 800,000 to 3 million) that attended the inauguration or the announcement of his victory in Grant Park Chicago. It was historical, that cannot be denied; with clichés that race is not important. It is very important because we have yet to have an honest discussion on the issue. It just lingers.

You and I can have a legitimate argument if race matters but this president gets about 30 to 40 death threats a day; is that just because he's a Democrat? Bill Clinton introduced a health-care bill; No Tea Party. Coincidence? Neither one of us has any proof, either way, but I bet we both believe we have come a long way and it is no longer a significant factor.

Now I got to go and turn the television so I can get my daily dose of MSNBC’s Chris Matthews..:-)

April 16, 2010 at 4:11 p.m.

• Mike, considering that Paul has been vocal about health care (though not a "player" in the media), if he genuinely thinks his Bill is necessary and consistent with his principles, should he just not introduce it for fear of appearing to be opportunistic?

April 16, 2010 at 4 p.m.

• Whether a people is a minority or a minority within a group, it does not discredit their importance. If it is the Tea Party’s intention to rise above the pettiness, then they will just have too learn.

Perseverance, foresight, and patience; are virtues necessary for any political movement. Many Democrats and Republicans, didn’t think they would continue to be in existence today, but here they are. The bottom line is this, what are you doing in your life today, that could be said to be meaningful too all Americans?

It’s my belief that these people have a genuine love and faith in their country, if not government; which is sorely lacking to a great degree in both parties.

How many times on here have I heard Democrats talk down America or speak of our problems like we deserve it?

Instead of working with these dedicated Americans, many Democrats and Republicans ridicule and debase them, at every turn!

April 16, 2010 at 3:59 p.m.

• victore,

You are comparing mudbugs to lobster. The inauguration and tea parties are not the same thing.
    In any case, I can bet that the people who depend on every hour they can get to survive, were not at the inauguration and would laugh at the people at the tea parties.
    Personally, I know that the race thing is an important issue to a lot of people. I'm not one of them.

April 16, 2010 at 3:54 p.m.

• Victore, that’s easy.
    1. One day event
    2. I heard all those talking points before...next question
    3. This blog is about a CBS/NYT poll on the Tea Party and it did mention the race but I chose not submit it.
    4. I have not seen ONE complaint in this thread.
    5. 5. Who is this” we will vote your butts out of office” the same ones that lost in 2006 & 2008?

Any more questions?

April 16, 2010 at 3:52 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 16, 2010 at 3:45 p.m.

• BSspotter

You missed my point.

The time to have a legitimate point , was during the health care debate and vote. Not after some political hacks introduced a lawsuit against the mandate. That's called coat tails.

Ron Paul was irreverent during the health-care debate;he was on the" stop the Fed" kick to sell his books.

I consumed a lot of television, radio,magazines, and everything imaginable in trying to keep up with the health-care reform issue but Ron Paul was never mentioned because he was not a player.

April 16, 2010 at 3:42 p.m.

• I am engaging with adults in a civil manner..As I have told you several times;your reputation preceded you,so go away.

April 16, 2010 at 3:33 p.m.

• Mike, I turned that question back on you to illustrate that you definitely weren't noticing Paul's efforts in the health care arena, hence your question.

April 16, 2010 at 3:33 p.m.

• BSspotter said
    "Where were you when Ron Paul was opposing health care reform?"

I have been an advocate of health care reform for over three years ;right here in this forum..That's about about all I can do.

April 16, 2010 at 3:31 p.m.

• Mike, you asked "Where was [Paul] in the the last year, when Congress was actually debating and voting on the bill?", and I gave you an answer, whether you want to accept it or not.

I stand by my answer that he opposed it every step of the way and stated the principles behind it. To claim he introduced his Bill for political reasons is disingenuous when considering his long history of voting against things on principle despite how unpopular it made him. He can't be summed up as voting "no" just for the sake of voting "no". He explains every vote in detail.

April 16, 2010 at 3:28 p.m.

• Is there an echo in this thread?

April 16, 2010 at 3:22 p.m.

• BSspotter

I understand how beneficial an informed grassroots movement can be; I believe that's what you are trying to propose. Unfortunately, as you have stated many times, the Tea Party has been hijacked. It is now made up of Birthers,Tenthers, far right conservatives, lobbyist and the likes of representatives Steve King and Michelle Backmann,Sarah Palin,Fox,Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity…They don’t represent mainstream America..IMO

Ron Paul's Health Care bill absence on the national front was evident; a YouTube clip or a Google link does not make him a credible opponent because he always says” no” to everything… If he would've taken a stance back then, he would have gotten national coverage but not much support because he is not a leader in the Republican Party. He was not a member of those that met with the president on a one on one at the Blair House Summit. The mandate used to be a Republican idea but Ron Paul didn't take a stance back then either. Both parties view him as a “Chicken little" and that's his choice and fault. I could show you link to where he voted “No” on Rita hurricane relief for his district and Congressional Medal of Honors awards to Mother Teresa and Rosa Parks…..So; a YouTube of Ron Paul railing against something is pretty common…Signing an “no tax pledge” is more import to him than hurricane relief to his district…But he knew his colleagues would bail him out and vote for that relief; allowing him to keep his “Taxpayer’s best friend” slogan.

I stand by my statement.

April 16, 2010 at 3:20 p.m.

• Mike, if you're as informed as you claim to be, your statement is dishonest. I thought you were above that. You know exactly where he's stood on this issue and how vocal he has been.

If you need a reminder, read these:

And watch these:

Where were you when Ron Paul was opposing health care reform?

April 16, 2010 at 2:54 p.m.

• BSspotter

Ron Paul is just another politician, an opportunist who will try to take advantage of people's anger and frustration. He is just a nicer Glenn Beck. i.e. He just introduced a bill to eliminate the healthcare mandate. Where was the he in the the last year, when Congress was actually debating and voting on the bill. He looked around; saw which way the flags were blowing and decided to introduce a bill to pad his resume.

Lol…Sarah Palin is only important (unelectable)… to the Republican Party…. She is your problem.

April 16, 2010 at 2:36 p.m.

• Code's comment makes me aware of a much needed clarification of my answer to Mike...

Unfortunately, these people are on the right side of many issues now [and they probably don't fully understand why]...

April 16, 2010 at 2:30 p.m.

• Mike: "....these people had good intentions."

No, they were blinded by political & nationalistic fervor, which can't possibly happen to the other party. Unfortunately, these people are on the right side of many issues now, but they don't have the credibility to garner wider acceptance. These people were dead wrong in supporting many Bush policies.

April 16, 2010 at 2:28 p.m.

• 59% of those questioned either didn't know which country Obama was born in or thought he was indeed born outside the US.

What more can you say about a movement that reflects the above statement?

Shame.

April 16, 2010 at 2:27 p.m.

• Mike & Writein,

I submit that the Ron Paul movement (2006/07 to present) & resulting original Tea Parties motivated many that were discontented but had no outlet for their frustrations during the Bush administration. That movement rightfully spanned administrations, but the influx of NEWLY-discontented people overwhelmed the otherwise principled movement. The movement has now exceeded the critical mass of sheep needed to render it completely self-defeating and contradictory. Let's make sure we acknowledge the process by which the Tea Parties have been hijacked so we can recognize the symptoms next time. That next time could be YOUR movement protesting Sarah Palin's preemptive attack on Iran or Syria.

April 16, 2010 at 2:23 p.m.

• BSspotter

I was talking about the caravans that took the Tea Party swing from Arizona, to Nevada, up to Minnesota and then to Washington, DC...Tea Party Express

BSspotter, you are talking about the local yokels who don't represent a national movement backed by Fox News and the lobbyist. These yokels are mimicking what they see; they will not have an impact because 880-900 in attendance is about 3% of the registered voters. They're just wannabes.

Duped? The last time America was duped ,we invaded a country that had nothing to do with 9/11...72% thought it was right at the time and Bush had a 90% approval until years later...these people had good intentions.

April 16, 2010 at 2:23 p.m.

• I meant that people who have the time to attend these meetings, apparently aren't at work, and cannot afford to take off to go to the meetings.
    I'm sorry if I made it sound like something else.

April 16, 2010 at 2:11 p.m.

• MIKE.

Thank you for proving my point. Where was the Tea Party doing Hillary care?

April 16, 2010 at 2:07 p.m.

• Writein
    I don't remember a Tea Party movement when Bill and Hillary Clinton tried to pass healthcare but the militia movement was pretty high until McVeigh bombed the Alfred P. Murrah Building.

Since the members are pretty old; I don't doubt there is some generational sentiment along those lines, but those feelings have been there for quite some time. I can’t imagine anyone standing up at a national televised State of the Union yelling “you lie” to President Clinton and then get rewarded with millions of dollars of political contributions.

April 16, 2010 at 2:05 p.m.

• Archie.

Dont say that ;)

April 16, 2010 at 2 p.m.

• I don't see how traveling to "five or six national events" is any indication of these people's station in life. If I wanted to divert some of my moderate income, I could swing that, especially as low as airline rates are these days and as frugal as I am. I think the vast majority of Tea Partiers are only going to their local events, though. I personally don't know anyone who has hopped on a plane to attend a Tea Party.

I don't think you can make a case that this is a movement of the old, white & rich, but you can make a case for them being old & white with some retirement savings they'd prefer to keep. The "class war" argument doesn't fit. Most of the attendees I've seen are lower-to-mid middle class people. I saw plenty of folks yesterday who just got off work and were still wearing their Average Joe work clothes. A walk through the parking lot told me plenty about the average economic status of the attendees.

Despite all of my problems with this movement, I think nearly all of these people have good intentions. They've just been duped.

April 16, 2010 at 1:57 p.m.

• Obama is black Obama is president! Obama is great!

April 16, 2010 at 1:56 p.m.

• A Democratic President or Non White President?

The more I look at this, the more I believe Chris Rock is right in his rather bad movie, Head of State.

April 16, 2010 at 1:47 p.m.

• BS Spotter.

Allow me to explain Born2bme’s point, the way I look at it, if these people worry about their jobs, then shouldn’t they be at home instead of traveling all over the country?

April 16, 2010 at 1:37 p.m.

• I can't speak for borne2Bme but the Tea Partiers who making five or six national events certainly are not hurting for health care nor can they identify with those that are.

Whether they work for their money or not is irrelevant.

It's a well-known fact that the wealthier amongst us do not worry about the social or economic problems because they have theirs... It's the tweeners or wannabes that get into this fight.

April 16, 2010 at 1:28 p.m.

• born2Bme, I don't take personal exception to your comment because I know what I do to make the money I have, but I'm curious to know what you meant by it. Are you suggesting that the people who attend these events didn't work for the money they have? I knock these people left and right for many reasons, but I can't stretch my imagination enough to comprehend that statement. Please expand.

April 16, 2010 at 1:08 p.m.

• Makes sense to me. Men and women who "have" to work for a living don't have time for all of this BS.

April 16, 2010 at 12:52 p.m.