Comments

• Mike, it is pretty much a block when they let a few off the hook so they might have a prayer in the election. Some of those guys are from districts with people very much against the health care reform.

August 27, 2010 at 7:40 p.m.

• I like how some bloggers and commenters on this site call President Obama Muslim or bowing to Islam ( Like how Zman said it). That is because it is funny, there are more bombings on Islamic terrorists since President Obama took office.

August 27, 2010 at 7:38 p.m.

• The problem with taxes is that the government is not an efficient user of money.

August 27, 2010 at 7:12 p.m.

• The revenue from payroll taxes is almost the same as the revenue from income taxes - not a trivial amount. In addition these taxes are about as regressive as they can be. Only a liberal socialist could like these taxes - go figure?

August 27, 2010 at 5:38 p.m.

• 34 democrats in the house did not vote for the health care bill..... There goes your definition of voting as a block.

Don't let the upcoming midterm elections go to your head.... In the last election 130 million voted, 69 million of them voted for president Obama and the democrats.... The republicans still do not have anyone they can beat president Obama in 2012... 85% of the democrats still have a favorable opinion of president Obama.... Remember, only people with land lines get polled.

You can have the last word... I'm through and out of here.

August 27, 2010 at 4:54 p.m.

• If they want to catch tax cheats, they need to sniff right there where they are.

Of course I have heard the commercial. Did you not hear Pelosi say we will see what the health care bill has in it after it passes?

We would not have health care if dems didn't vote as a block. Republicans have been instructed to vote no. Orders from headquarters.

You can research til the cows come home but if you make the voters angry, they impose some term limits at the ballot box.

August 27, 2010 at 4:41 p.m.

• jbj
    OK, we have driven this into the ditch because I'm really confused... I answer your questions and you come back and tell me it's not a done deal... I know, cap and trade is dead. I was saying that your statement that democrats voted as a block was false.... The GOP votes NO as a block.... I wish the democrats voted as a block.

You keep using that talking point about Congress not even reading the bill.... That's good for the amateurs of talk radio but if you read any books about Congress are even kept up, you would know that staffers keep the representatives abreast of all the changes and bullet points in a piece of legislation.... Both the stimulus and the health care bill were online for all to see.
    Tax for coin collectors is not exclusive for them but right wing bloggers and hate radio is phrasing it that way........Starting Jan. 1, 2012, Form 1099s will become a means of reporting to the Internal Revenue Service the purchases of ALL GOODS and SERVICES by small businesses and self-employed people that exceed $600 during a calendar year. Precious metals such as coins and bullion fall into this category and coin dealers have been among those most rankled by the change.
    This provision, intended to mine what the IRS deems a vast reservoir of uncollected income tax, was included in the health care legislation ostensibly as a way to pay for it. The tax code tweak is expected to raise $17 billion over the next 10 years, according to the Joint Committee on Taxation.

RESEARCH....RESEARCH....RESEARCH

Hey if it catches tax cheats, I'm all for it.

Mom apple pie and Chevrolet is a metaphor for what America is all about... I'm surprised you haven't hear that commercial...Never mind.

We've about beaten this horse into the ground.

Have a good week end.

August 27, 2010 at 4:31 p.m.

• Mike, I don't drive a Chevy. It does not matter who I represent I get one vote and you do too. We all need to be for America.

We have not yet diverted a depression. Tax cuts are not the only game plan.

Cap and trade is not a done deal, and I really would like to know how this is going to help the middle class. But the wheeling and dealing for health care and and the stimulus bill were done without Congress even reading the bill. Come on, what is a tax for coin collectors doing in a health care bill? And you talk about Republican smoke screens?

August 27, 2010 at 4:06 p.m.

• jbj
    That was a rhetorical question; I know you don't represent anyone but yourself...You are a partisan republican that is what you are excepted to say,you are on the side of mom.apple pie and Chevrolet..Everything that is good about America...lol..I can do the same.

What Congress where you monitoring? I saw the controversial cap and trade legislation passed by two votes yet they held a 79 seat margin in the house... The senate worked for over year just to get 60 votes to bring it to the floor for debate... The democrats did not vote as a block.

We can both throw out theories but that's what they are.... The republicans could not have saved this economy because all they had in mind was tax cuts... Personally, I think the voters are just misinformed and angry because they will not give credit for averting a depression, and they can't see through the GOP smokescreen but they will send their message of unhappiness to the democrats. The next two years will generate paralysis in congress unless the GOP can override a presidential veto.....
    Compromise cuts both ways; it's ridiculous to say that the GOP did not have a political agenda by trying to marginalize president Obama.

August 27, 2010 at 2:44 p.m.

• It is very apparent to me that the Democrats are not speaking for the American voter and have not been for quite some time. The car and ditch story is just a simplification, you can put faith in it or not, won't change a thing.

Doesn't matter who I represent either, but probably a larger group than you... or the current administration.

You are right about the congress taking over in '07. Amazing. They did alot in a short time. And no, the president was not blameless. Either one.

But this is pretty much the same congress who voted as a block to pass very unpopular legislation, ignoring evidence that people were not in favor of it, choosing to believe that the public expressing disfavor were a minority. Or that they would change their minds, somehow forget that their wishes were being ignored. Now they are learning it probably involved more people than they thought and that their memories were better than they had hoped.

Could have had a better outcome for these Democratic career politicians, they could have had the Republicans to blame for their legislation but they would not compromise so it is their own little package. Some voters saw this as unconstitutional and downright wrong. We shall see how many.

August 27, 2010 at 2:25 p.m.

• That's where the is understanding lies.... I never thought Paul Ryan was a radical, in fact I praised him because at least he has a plan that he puts out there. He knows it is not popular but he intends to use old fashion horse trading. He admitted that his plans has some flaws. He disagrees with the Tax Policy Center because they found that his plan would increase the deficit by $1.3 trillion by the year 2020 because it didn't take into account four trillion dollars in lost revenue. He said he was willing to make up the shortfall by raising taxes.

There's a lot of things that are burden on small businesses like high vendor prices,CEO pay, fines for wrongdoing etc.... Can't be close minded saying it's all about taxes.

My worry remains with the middle class and the unemployed.

August 27, 2010 at 2:15 p.m.

• "1. The government could issue debt by selling securities
    2. They could raise taxes
    3. Our they could transfer that debt to the Federal Reserve using what you & the Glenn Beckites call " monetizing the debt."

Number 1 - Sell securities, i.e. borrow the money.

Number 2 - Raise payroll tax and forego using the trust fund at all.

Number 3 - Sell the securities to the fed, i.e. freshly print some money.

Are we in disagreement? I think not and it's not only me and Beck that think selling securities to the fed monetizes the debt, I and everyone else except maybe you KNOW it will monetize the debt.

And secondly:

"Before any of those steps take place, a more likely solution would be to eliminate the cap, raise the age limit, means testing, or take more drastic steps for those under 55 years of age."

And you thought Paul Ryan was radical, but no judging. What's sad is this tax is such a burden on employment and small businesses.

August 27, 2010 at 2:01 p.m.

• jbj

Take a deep breath and read for change.... That is the official GOP site for the budget committee republicans... Each political party has a lot of different websites. "There are other ideas" it just another vague statement.

I know this will never penetrate because I have been told you numerous times that the democrats did not take over in 2006; they they were elected in 2006 but did not officially take over until January of 2007.i.e. The house and senate will still be under the democrats until December 31 of 2010. Did the Dems pass legislation that could not be overridden with a presidential veto? At some point, you have to do as other responsible republicans have done..Admit wrongdoing.

Again, I don't care about the folksy rhetoric on the campaign trail about cars and ditches and I don't pretend to speak for the American people and their thoughts. I certainly don't think the social issues will outweigh the poor economic data... Most economists think we went into a recession in late 2007 and have yet to recover... The GOP is the default party, voters are not lining up with them because of their policies, they're sending a message of unhappiness....9.5% unemployment -1.6 GDP

It's all about the IND.

"This is the take we have on what is happening. "....."WE"...Again,what group are you representing?

August 27, 2010 at 1:53 p.m.

• You can believe it or but the Social Security Trust Fund rate doesn't have a thing to do with a budget.... It's supposed to be independent of a general fund... I know how it is being used. It does have a $2.5 trillion value because the government is obligated to pay Social Security... It may vary to some degree but it has three options of repayment.

1. The government could issue debt by selling securities
    2. They could raise taxes

Again, it still has about 25 left before we'll have to take drastic steps. Even Alan Simpson, believes Social Security could be solved in a matter of days and he has never been a fan of that program.

Medicare is a difference story.

August 27, 2010 at 1:35 p.m.

• "It is my understanding that it won't take much to make keep Social Security solvent.. It does have a surplus; if you consider that treasury notes still have a value."

According to Obama's budget SS will run an $80 billion deficit this year and Medicare will have a deficit of $271 billion. By 2020 these deficits will be $117 and $635 billion respectively. These entitlements are funded by payroll taxes which are currently depressed and probably not adequately accounted for in his budget.

Treasury notes do have value - they can currently be exchanged for "borrowed or printed" money.

August 27, 2010 at 12:54 p.m.

• Mike, that is not the official Republican website. Rep. Ryan does have some ideas and they will be considered. There are other ideas out there.

Republicans would not have the support of so many if the Democrats would stop shooting themselves in the foot. They claim the car was in the ditch and want no credit for it even tho they have been driving since'06. Then they take a sharp left onto a road that is even bumpier than the ditch, increase the speed, refuse to read the signs, hit every possible pot hole at high speed, and people can see the cliff ahead. Now they wonder where their supporters are. That ditch looked better than where we are now. People are voting not for Republicans but for someone who is going to at least get us back into the nice safe ditch until we can get back on the right road.

Today we got three pieces of news that people won't be happy about. One, soldiers in five states will not get to vote. Another is that the economy is going downhill, that is mentioned on this blog site, and third, the illegals now held in jail will be released if they have no criminal record and they have filed for citizenship. Hey, at least two of those signs are not helpful to Democrats. Some things they can't control but when they can it seems they look for what will be the least popular and that is the path they take.

Go ahead, tell me that I am not informed, but Mike, most people are even less so than I am. This is the take we have on what is happening.

August 27, 2010 at 12:41 p.m.

• Yes,I made a error it's a deficit reducing commission; I said it was a debt reducing commission.... I've said all along that entitlements need to be looked at but so does defense spending... It is my understanding that it won't take much to make keep Social Security solvent.. It does have a surplus; if you consider that treasury notes still have a value.... Medicare is a different story and to his credit, republican Defense Secretary Robert Gates, is not making any friends with his measures to cut defense spending.

I think government has done all they can do(maybe too much) and they should just turn it over to the consumers and the free market.... Let the free market spend their money to promote consumer spending. The 1.6 GPD just proves we have a demand problem.

The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 describes the al Qaeda an Islamic extremist movement... I think it's a far cry from Adolf Hitler and Nazism. al Qaeda does not want to conquer lands per say, they want complete control of their own land. They don't wear uniforms and don't represent a country. They don't buy the latest equipment and their military officers are not college graduates(for the most part). ... Did they use propaganda as part of their strategy to entice the civilians? Yes, as most grassroots armies(terrorist) do.

August 27, 2010 at 11:14 a.m.

• "Freeman is not against the community center being built, he said he should've started by building one in Pakistan.... Probably right next door to a Madrasah." Now that's what I'm talking about!

And secondly "hole in the head" I did not say Muslims are Nazis. What I said is the Islamic extremists are very similar to the Nazis. How they gained power in Germany is an interesting and sinister study - I know they're gone and should be forgotten, shame on me :(

Paul Ryan's plan is being submitted to the deficit commission, where all proposals are being considered and where there should be no pre-judgement or bias - yeah right!

Something will have to be done about entitlements, general accounting and simple economics says so. Either we do it or the financial system will do it for us in a much more ruthless and reckless manner.

August 27, 2010 at 10:52 a.m.

• Legion357

I'm not quite sure what you were trying to emphasize with the link you submitted but in the last two paragraphs I did see some similarities... I also saw all where we could come away with different out takes... Interesting.

I thought Tom Friedman made a good point by agreeing that Feisal Abdul Rauf really wanted to build a center to help "bridge and heal a divide" among Muslims and other religious groups... Although, Mr. Freeman is not against the community center being built, he said he should've started by building one in Pakistan.... Probably right next door to a Madrasah.

August 27, 2010 at 10:20 a.m.

• jbj

How careless of me,that plan can be found on the official REPUBLICAN website.

August 27, 2010 at 9:58 a.m.

• jbj
    It doesn't surprise me that you have not heard of congressman Paul Ryan's " Road Map for America's Future" which is much like Newt Gingrich's 1994 " Contract with America."... As I said in an an earlier blog,John Boehner and Mitch McConnell are touting some parts of the plan...

I'm not that stupid, I don't take tea party wing nut Sharon Angle's comments seriously.... Keep up, she's not back on track because she recently said that Social Security and Medicare were unconstitutional. She may have wiped her website clean of all her wing nut statements but not before several people copied them.... She can't run away from her extremist views.

The democrats health care plan pretty much gutted Medicare Advantage( a private program subsidized by the United States government) but have NOT made Medicare cuts.... About two weeks ago, I downloaded the entire health care bill app to my iPad, just so I can as this very question" Can you submit a link where I will find that the democrats cut Medicare in the health care bill?"

As I said before, I'm not gonna do your research for you but you can go buy the recent Time magazine, go to page 51 and you will find a article entitled" Too Bold for the GOP." This article will tell you a little about Paul Ryan, his plan which he is presenting to the bipartisan commission on debt reduction. You could check the transcripts of last week's"Meet the Press" but this should not be news to loyal republicans. Paul Ryan wants to start out slowly, never mind, do your own research.

These are the bean counters-policy wonks in your party... These are the serious people that the blowhards go to to find out what's in a piece of legislation..They are Wisconsin's Paul Ryan, Georgia's, Tom Price, California's Kevin Mccarthy and Darrell Issa, and Texas's Jeb Hennsarling... These are people that the republican house picked as their go to guys according to a recent article in CQ magazine.

BTW I made a " If they had their druthers" statement about what a lot of members of both parties would like to do but don't have the political courage....i.e Social Security/Medicare- Afghanistan.

August 27, 2010 at 9:23 a.m.

• Mike, I have not heard a thing from Republicans regarding their wanting to privatize social security since Bush, and the Democrats are suffering now for the cutting of Medicare in the health care bill, so I don't think the Republicans are going to go there.

I guess what you are referring to is Sharron Angle and her big idea.... newcomers who win a primary get the big head and think the voter wants to hear their big idea. Then they fall back to earth and remember they are representing the voter. This happened and with a little remodeling, Mr. Reid had something to run on til she got her act back on track.

Other than that I am not sure where your comment is coming from.

August 26, 2010 at 11:45 p.m.

• BTW, Muslims demanding tolerance is a joke. Even the most moderate Muslims will excommunicate family who convert to other religions.

Let's see how tolerant they'd be if there is a synogogue built next to this mosque.

August 26, 2010 at 6:41 p.m.

• Thanks, Mike. It's great that we have impartial guys like you telling the media how to do its job.

August 26, 2010 at 6:36 p.m.

• For example of my previous post, just look at what those Viking terrorist did to the UK.

851 AD Danish Viking Sack London- Danish vikings sailed up the Thames in 851 A.D. They sacked London and Canterbury but were defeated at Ockley by the King of the West Saxons.

Durn Christian terrorists.

By about 700 AD, Willibrord, the ‘apostle of the Netherlands’ was already carrying out missionary work among the Danes, but it was only with the missionary activities of Ansgar, from 826, that Christianity gained a foothold in Denmark.

"The era of to much information."

August 26, 2010 at 6:20 p.m.

• Mike, maybe you should have titled the blog
    "the era of to much information."

August 26, 2010 at 5:45 p.m.

• John

I usually give a little leeway for political spin but at some point the political parties have to be truthful 'cause too much is at stake. I agree in the next 20 years or so we're gonna be fighting tooth and nail for water rights.... Right now, we haven't even solved the problems of Katrina, our government is in line with BP trying to convince us that only 25% of the oil spill remains, and we can't get the parties together to come up with an energy plan.... I keep saying, the world is not waiting on the United States anymore.... The next innovator can market his product from Bangladesh, via the Internet.

I've been a lifelong democrat but if they cave in to tax cuts for the rich(today they said they wouldn't) and don't make a decent effort to come up with an energy plan, I just may join you.
    Or maybe I'm just hungry..... Have a good one.

August 26, 2010 at 5:42 p.m.

• Spin, spin, spin and when you get through with that, you create one sided hypotheticals, and then you exaggerate some more.... Oh yes, World War II is over and it's time for you to start using some 21st century analogies..... Questioning someone's patriotism just because they don't share your paranoia,is not very cool....You have no ideal about what I forgot. I know what the war veterans did whether it was Vietnam,Korea,WWI & WWII....This topic was not about them....That was all a figment of your imagination.

Godwin's law is alive and well.

August 26, 2010 at 5:31 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

August 26, 2010 at 5:19 p.m.

• I guess the destruction of an entire city block along with two 110 story buildings, bombings in London, Madrid, Bali, Tanzania, Iraq, Israel, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia, Saudia Arabia, Yemen, etc. will make me and a lot others "paranoid and crazy."

Our much vaunted military has it's hands full with my paranoia - in what appears to be a quagmire. BTW they don't have to conquer us they just have to run us out of the mideast, that and sap our will to resist.

And finally WWII is over so I guess it's time we did forget what that tradegy taught us, you're right Mike and so very cool.

August 26, 2010 at 5:13 p.m.

• see rollinstone, that's what the real issue is. people like you that compare Islam with Nazis. there is a distinct difference between Islam and Isamist extremists, but you obviously don't care.

observer, you and newtie are just acting silly now.

August 26, 2010 at 5:02 p.m.

• Your right, I don't have your paranoia and I don't compare World War II, and Nazism, to the present day Al Qaeda and the Taliban of Afghanistan/ Pakistan.... World War II ended 60 years ago; get over it.

I usually don't take the words of extremist or homegrown crazies to heart. We have the world's largest military and we are supposed to be afraid of people with inferior technology and weapons.... That sounds like a lot of fear mongering that I will not be paying any attention to.

August 26, 2010 at 4:11 p.m.

• I did mention Newt Gingrich but only to support an argument for the State Department, FBI, and CIA checking the integrity of of Feisal Abdul Rauf. In the first place it's not a mosque and it will never be at Ground Zero... I've never known America to do as other countries; usually we are the model of democracy.... As I have said before, I don't have a dog and this hunt, I believe it's a local issue.

I did hear a spokesman for a few 9/11 survivors group that opposed the community center/mosque say that it would bring back memories, if the survivors saw a glimpse of the center at their yearly pilgrimage. I've been to New York and it would be very difficult(without trying real hard) to see a building a couple blocks away... These are New York City blocks. That Burlington Coat Factory building is being used for worship at this very moment.

August 26, 2010 at 3:59 p.m.

• "We often have to hold their aggressiveness in check...i.e. Iran."

You just don't seem to get it. Islamic extremism is like the Nazis in 1930. Most Germans were not Nazis at that time, but they were glad when they finally got control because they brought order out of the chaos - chaos the Nazis help create.

The Nazis had a vision of domination in eastern Europe particularly Russia. They started a war to gain domination and territory. The war was a war of extermination of the Bolsheviks, the Jews and any one who got in their way.

The goal of Islam is similar to the Nazis' except, world domination and the destruction of Israel - not my words theirs. Yes they are the words of the extremists out of Pakistan, Iran, Syria, Lebanon and from groups like the Taliban in nearly every Islamic country.

It is Jihad by force and deception. Oh well time is on our side, LOL.

August 26, 2010 at 3:27 p.m.

• You mention Newt Gingrich but do not mention his latest column on the Ground Zero Mosque. His position is that we should agree to allow the construction of the mosque as soon as a Christian church of any denomination is completed in Saudi Arabia. I find his logic irrefutable. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. If islam is truly the peace-loving, inclusive religion its proponents would have us believe, I would expect the backers of the Ground Zero Mosque to volunteer to aid in financing the Christian church. Health advisory: DO NOT hold your breath waiting for this to happen.

August 26, 2010 at 3:14 p.m.

• I did get my facts straight because the Israeli intelligence did admit their failures.... That incident is still being investigated. The argument pitted the FBI,CIA, and the State Dept against Israeli intelligence.... I just pointed out that Israeli intelligence has their flaws.... Although Israel is our strongest ally in the Middle East; we often have to hold their aggressiveness in check...i.e. Iran

Israel knows that it has the might of the United States military covering their back. Yes, it's right middle of all its natural enemies but they have been known to provoke.... They will be more aggressive, now that prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is in charge.

Wouldn't it be ironic, if I were caught trying to mislead on a blog titled " the era of misinformation?"

August 26, 2010 at 2:49 p.m.

• seriously, you're going to use the jpost as a source on Israeli diplomatic issues? that's like using Al Jazeera. a little one sided don't you think?

August 26, 2010 at 2:16 p.m.

• rollinstone - i didn't say they didn't have a right to get pissed. what i said was, i wouldn't take diplomatic tips from Israel. they don't have the best record when it comes to diplomacy, with Arab countries or any other country. they constantly act as if the rest of the world owes them something, when in fact it's the exact opposite. if it wasn't for America and our allies, Israel would probably not exist. something about a gift horse's mouth comes to mind.

if one were to examine the diplomatic policies of Israel, one may conclude that those policies might be a reason for some of the issues Israel faces with its neighbors.

i think we have steered this waaaayyyyy off topic, but i had to make my point.

August 26, 2010 at 2:13 p.m.

• "Money lost due to an economic theory is not a crime and is ludicrous to think so." LOL!

August 26, 2010 at 12:45 p.m.

• "Israeli military officials admitted that it was their failure in military intelligence that was the cause of the Israeli commandos killing innocent people aboard the Mavi Marmara ."

This sounds like the Israelis were unprovoked. They responded to the attacks they did not initiate them - you need to get your facts right.

And yeah "hole in head" how dare the Israelis get pissed at being constantly threaten with rocket attacks, suicide bombers, and now nuclear weapons - they really have some nerve.

August 26, 2010 at 12:36 p.m.

• personally, the last people I want to take tips from when it comes to international diplomacy and terrorist organizations is Israel. they could write a book, "How To Piss Off Your Friends and Alienate People"

August 26, 2010 at 12:13 p.m.

• It was meant to, McCarthyite Rollingstone.

Israeli military officials admitted that it was their failure in military intelligence that was the cause of the Israeli commandos killing innocent people aboard the Mavi Marmara . The IDF admitted they did not know Hizbullah's snuck in short-range rockets, believe in that 2007 war.

Like any intelligence organization they were also wrong about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction.

As always, people will believe what they want to believe.

Don't know if that the nine billion lost in Iraq was a crime?

Money lost due to an economic theory is not a crime and is ludicrous to think so....The last chapter of the stimulus has not been written.

August 26, 2010 at 11:48 a.m.

• And one more thing the eight billion lost in Iraq is indeed a crime, but so is the waste and corruption associated with the stimulus - only a hundred times more so.

August 26, 2010 at 11:29 a.m.

• "Frankly, I don't know how many civilian or military employees it takes to "RUN" a $14 trillion economy."

Very revealing comrade Mike!

I think the Israelis know a terrorist when they see one - I would not trust our "Intelligence Service" to find their A$$ in the dark using both hands.

August 26, 2010 at 11:20 a.m.

• KyleC

Your statement "others don't, won't or are sponsored not to touch with a 10 foot pole" is intriguing.... I've often wondered; why, if I know this piece of information; why doesn't the pundit know? I do know if networks expose their lies, they will lose that person and will eventually run out of guests.... After someone like Jon Stewart does the dirty work, you will see the networks get a little courage because they can then call it public knowledge....IMO

August 26, 2010 at 9:39 a.m.

• I was really putting John Boehner's statements in context; I was not describing a historical pattern. Frankly, I don't know how many civilian or military employees it takes to run a $14 trillion economy. I do know, we still have not accounted for $9 billion that disappeared in Iraq and several billion dollars that has vanished in Afghanistan... The GAO claims they are shorthanded, so does the FDA and EPA; we see what they can lead to.... I think we should hire more internal revenue agents because the government loses billions of dollars each year, due to lack of enough auditors.

As for the integrity of Feisal Abdul Rauf, I would leave that to the State Dept, CIA and FBI; I certainly wouldn't take the word of junior G men like Laura Ingraham(for the mosque before she was against it) Newt Gingrich or Dan Senor. We have 17 intelligence agencies with over 8,000 people on the payroll; they should be able to spare one or two people.

August 26, 2010 at 9:29 a.m.

• Time and time again Jon Stewart excels in connecting the dots others don't, won't or are sponsored not to touch with a 10 foot pole

August 25, 2010 at 9:14 p.m.

• The federal civilian employment averaged 2,812 employees from 1962 to 2010. The federal civilian employment has varied under various administration as follows:

Admin ------ % Change from previous administration.

LBJ -------------- 21.5
    Nixon ---------- (6.2)
    Carter --------- (0.4)
    Reagan -------- 8.3
    GHWB ---------- (1.2)
    Clinton --------- (12.5)
    GWB ------------ 2.0

It was a surprise to see the large increase under Reagan, I thought he hated big government, oh well. On the other hand it was not a surprise to see LBJ's large increase because of all the social programs he enacted. Clinton reduced the civilian payroll considerably and the military payroll even more.

But, it is a red herring to say that Obama has not increased the federal payroll - he most certainly will. Everyone knows that healthcare, financial reform, energy legislation, etc. will add thousands to the payroll - these will not be low paying jobs. This will not only increase federal employment, but it will increase its power - this is probably something to be feared.

It seems this mosque controversy got started sometime after the "Free Gaza Flotilla" incident. After that people (the Israelis) started looking at the funding for this enterprise and the Imam Rauf's name started showing up as being connected. Then people started looking at some of the comments he has made.

So I'd have to agree that this is not and should not be a question about freedom of religion, or ground zero, or really the building of a mosque anywhere. It is about a person supporting terrorist organizations - I thought that was illegal, regardless of your religion.

August 25, 2010 at 9:13 p.m.