Comments

• Waywardwind.

You are forgiven.

December 10, 2010 at 6:11 a.m.

• Writein..."I never said you were accusing me of anything. Where did you get that from?"

I got it from this statement of yours: "Do not try to tag me as a Progessive, socialist, or a liberal. Look at my arvtar as hint."

Forgive me. It seemed by that statement you were under the impression that I was accusing you of something.

December 7, 2010 at 7:56 a.m.

• Speaking about Victoria Politics and the lack of will.

December 7, 2010 at 2:50 a.m.

• Kyle.

You are right. I consider myself as a member of Democratic Freedom Caucus. I shall enlighten you about that "problem" later on.

December 7, 2010 at 12:19 a.m.

• Waywardwind.

I never said you were accusing me of anything. Where did you get that from?

December 6, 2010 at 10:56 p.m.

• Mike.

Excuse me but I have a feeling that I must tell it like it is.

You will never get the explanation from the person-in-question. Why because the person doesn’t have any ideas of his own but cry, whine, and complain about the so-called good ole days. It is sad that grown men on this site in their 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s don’t have the wisdom to offer solutions or guidance. This is why I respect people like Matt Ocker (despite my personal misgivings), Toni Anne, or the late Yorktown City Manager Marcus Puente. They didn’t sit there behind the computer desk letting their hair grow long, stalking people online, or making false apologies. No, they offer ideas and have put their names on the line, not calling for Revolutions, Revolts, or asking the Israelis to invade America . The whole childish statement reminds me of Little Ole Johnny taking ball and going home after losing a game.

December 6, 2010 at 10:45 p.m.

• Re:Pilot

You asked "If you Mike, or anyone else who has commented here, thinks that Obama, or any of the last half dozen or so presidents, were actually in control or had any chance at their own ideas or opinions being even remotely considered as legitimate input by the power brokers behind the scenes, who actually run this business venture ever increasingly disguised as a republic, then you all need to blow your noses and rinse your ears to get out the sand you have had your head buried in since WWII ended. Obama is no different than Gomer Bush was. When the handlers scream s&%t, his first reaction is to squat and ask "what color, gentlemen".

I'm not sure how to respond because you never explain how you KNOW that the president of the United States is not in control or does NOT have a chance of his ideas being considered or put into place by some unknown power brokers.... Who are these power brokers?

I don't know what role the president plays in our day- to-day economic policies but according to Bob Woodward's book he played a pivotal role in our sending 30,000 troops to Afghanistan and another one in getting the Russian president,Dmitry Medvedev , to agree to a nuclear disarmament agreement. In January he will complete the first half of his presidency ,so it's unfair to prematurely compare him other president's...IMO

I agree the line between business and government is too thin and the influence of lobbyist will eventually lead us to plutocracy.

December 6, 2010 at 3:35 p.m.

• Kyle...""We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live!"

Thanks, pardner! That's encouraging. It gives me something to look forward to.

December 6, 2010 at 2:10 p.m.

• Kyle and Pilot...Thank you for your explanation. I guess I don't get around as much as I used to. I don't remember ever hearing of the Democratic Freedom Caucus.

December 6, 2010 at 12:01 p.m.

• "The problem with socialism you eventually run out of other peoples money"

December 6, 2010 at 6:20 a.m.

• Nothing more than grown men and women taking things other's say way to personally.

December 6, 2010 at 12:39 a.m.

• Someone, sometime, is going to have to enlighten me as to user interaction/conflict history on here....

:-)

December 5, 2010 at 10:13 p.m.

• It's a shame that clicking on our avatars doesn't expand the image. I believe (correct me if wrong) Writein's avatar represents the Democratic Freedom Caucus.

Libertarian Democrat:

December 5, 2010 at 10:04 p.m.

• Writein..."Look at my arvtar as hint."

I guess I'm not with it these days. I looked at your "arvtar" and don't have a clue what it represents. I did kinda understand the angry black man with a rifle, but not this. Perhaps you would be good enough to decode it for me. J, I didn't try to tag you as anything. I didn't mention you. I wasn't thinking of you. I was responding to JohnLara. If you felt you were somehow the object of my comments, you were way off base. Please understand that I'm not objecting to you commenting, I'm just trying to make sure you realize I wasn't accusing you of anything.

By the way, when I wrote that I fear for the future of the country, I
    meant that I have grave concern that the country is in peril -- that the actions and policies of BO and the Pelosi-Reid clones who will succeed them will cause the future greatness of the country to be threatened, and that even more of our liberties will be eroded. I didn't mean that I'm afraid to venture out in the dark.

December 5, 2010 at 9:44 p.m.

• Born, I'd have to agree with you. I never thought 250k was all THAT much, relatively speaking. When housing costs are ridiculous in most of the other most populated places, 250k is upper middle class. How many of our law makers only make 250k a year?

December 5, 2010 at 4:19 p.m.

• I've had to reverse my position, somewhat, for those making $250,000. I've just found out that $250,000 here, is not the same as $250,000 in other places.
    I came across a cost of living calculator and to my surprise, if someone was making $80,000 in San Anotnio, they would need to earn between $138,000 and $183,000 (depending on calculator used) to maintain the same standard of living in Los Angeles, California.
    Maybe $500,000, or more, should be the threshhold.

December 5, 2010 at 4:06 p.m.

• Waywardwind.

Here you go again with the “victim” card. You speak as broken record here. John Lara is right. Why because there is evidence and hatred in those disagreements on the RADIO, TV, and yes on these forums? If Glenn Beck, Rush, Sean, and Newt said things that are racist yet they get keep their own TV Shows.

I, for one, have disagreements with my president on number of issues like Health Care. Again let me say this as well. Do not try to tag me as a Progessive, socialist, or a liberal. Look at my arvtar as hint.
    However unlike most whiny, cheat beating, and nut job posters on this site. My disagreements is honest and NOT based on fear ( like yours WWW) hatred (like Kenneth Schituiet) or racism ( like a few others posters which shall be nameless).

December 5, 2010 at 2:46 p.m.

• Or as they say in Tejas - "Root hog or die."

December 5, 2010 at 11:07 a.m.

• WWW,

With the new health care laws you'll likely live longer than you intended but as the old quote from Ben Hur goes: "We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live!"

:-)

December 5, 2010 at 11:05 a.m.

• JohnLara...Usually your comments are thoughtful and well reasoned. This comment is,too, for the most part. However, it is disappointing to see that you have fallen into the "progressive" mindset that the only reason someone can disagree with BO is that the person just MUST be racist. Obama is such a wonderful president, so articulate, so intelligent, so highly principled, so compassionate, and so generous that it is simply not possible to disagree with the man on the basis of honest difference of opinion -- no, it MUST be racism. Saying that (some of) his policies clash with the Constitution isn't a valid reason to disagree with him or his policies, it MUST be racism. Honestly believing that the health care policy that requires citizens to purchase insurance even if it's against their wishes falls short of Constitutional muster isn't reason enough to oppose that policy -- no, it MUST be racism. Honestly believing that the Constitution doesn't allow the government to take over a large manufacturing corporation like GM isn't sufficient reason to disagree with him -- no, it MUST be racism. Honestly believing that he has harmed the US by acting in a servile way to almost everybody he ever met on the international stage isn't reason to disagree with him -- no, it MUST be racism.

Well, John, I disagree with BO about all the above listed things and more and I'm NOT a republican. Neither am I racist. I do love this nation and I do fear for its future, especially if BO is re-elected. If he does get a second term,he'll most likely bring another "progressive" congress along with him again. I believe that would signel the death knell for the United States because I don't think the Obama-Pelosi-Reid troika has the best interests of this nation in their hearts. I believe that they believe the Constitution is an impediment to their "progressive" agenda. I believe they think they know better than anyone else because they were smart enough and ruthless enough to get themselves elected, therefore, they know best and the rest of us should simply keep out mouths shut and our fingers off our keyboards.

I do agree that it is very possible BO will be re-elected, though. Not because of his policies or his intellect or his compassion or that he's "earned" it. I believe he stands a good chance of being re-elected because I don't see any opposition to him that would stand a chance. If the republicans are stupid enough to nominate Palin, that would pretty much ensure BO's victory. Oh, well, I'm old and will probably be dead by the time the "progressives" destroy the country and then I won't care.

December 5, 2010 at 10:55 a.m.

• John Lara.

Thank you for saying that and being honest. President Obama will be reelected despite all of the trash talking on this site, on hate talk radio, and on TV.

December 5, 2010 at 1:27 a.m.

• Hello John,long time

I agree that the Bush tax cuts should not be extended because it adds $4 trillion to debt; unemployment compensation is just a short term deficit because it will be paid back in a relatively short time and it will stimulate the economy.

I like some parts of the recommendations presented by the bipartisan debt commission... I have one big but,thou... They induced a new buzzword" shared sacrifice."... On the surface it sounds great but in 1985 the top 5% had 8% of the wealth, in 2008 they owned 40% of the wealth... We know that the gains from the dot.Com and housing bubble went to the wealthy, so it's not exactly an equal playing field that we're starting from. As witnessed by all the great civilizations; we cannot continue to squeeze a middle class and expect to survive.... We have about $9 trillion in circulation around the world in the form of notes,bonds, and currency. Today, Even our allies like Brazile,China, Germany and France are starting to question our monetary policies... You're exactly right; it's gonna take tax increases and huge spending cuts just to keep us afloat.

DADT will go way real soon; either by Congress or the courts.

December 3, 2010 at 2:38 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

December 3, 2010 at 2:37 p.m.

• Darn, I took an extended lunch; left the door cracked open and I found all these right wing talking points on the floor when I came back.Now, I have to open up the window ,sweep them all up and thrown them in the trash can where they belong.

woofwoof, you haven't explained how you came to the conclusion that unemployment could be reduced overnight.. Why don't you answer the questions before filling the page with talk radio rhetoric?

Would you like to buy the Guadalupe River bridge? It's on sale. I'm looking for some naive buyers.

If you believe that we got into this position in three years; you are reading the wrong material but anyone that quotes Sarah Palin... I'll leave it at that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm providing a source..I think President George W. Bush was still president in September of 2008.:

Today the unemployment rate came out at 6.5%, the highest since March of 1994. That would be troubling in itself. What was also released in the report is a horrible number of 240,000 jobs being lost in October. Probably more surprising is the September employment number was revised to show a 284,000 job loss. What does this amount to? 1.179 million jobs have been lost since the start of 2008. It has been a very challenging year on the jobs front.

Another drop of 533,000 in November of 2008 and another ah heck read the report:

The hemorrhaging of American jobs accelerated at a record pace at the end of 2008, bringing the year's total job losses to 2.6 million or the highest level in more than six decades.
    A sobering U.S. Labor Department jobs report Friday showed the economy lost 524,000 jobs in December and 1.9 million in the year's final four months, after the credit crisis began in September.

Come back when you have some facts...BTW the democrats are pretty confident that Barack Obama will be reelected because the republicans have a weak field to choose from... The GOP base won't endorse Mitt Romey and the nation won't vote for Palin.

December 3, 2010 at 2:20 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

December 3, 2010 at 2:12 p.m.

• #1 It takes 60 votes in the senate for bill to reach the floor and been proven time after time democrats are not a monolithic group like the republicans. I wish it would've been that easy. It only takes one senator to block the nomination of a judge or as witnessed in the last month, one senator to block any legislation at all... Ask Senators DeMint and Bunning.

#2. I never said unemployment compensation drives up the economy because only two million people are receiving the funds... The labor Department put out a study that said " every dollar spent for unemployment and generates $2.00 of economic activity.".. Your argument is with them and that study.... It only makes sense if demand is low; they're not going to hire.... I guarantee if their businesses purchase orders increased 3 fold, they will be taking a lot of applications. Costs can be a variety of things not only taxes, increased vendor prices, licenses,fuel etc.

#3. Congress passed at least 18 tax cuts for small businesses in the last two years... We're at a point where consumer confidence, new innovations, and spending will be the only way out of this mess... We're running out of unpaid incentives.

I agree spending is out of control but been going on for 30 years... First there was the Dot.com bubble, then the house in bubble, two tax cuts that were not paid for, two wars off budget, a $7 trillion Medicare drug and entitlements costs going out the roof... In the meantime consumers were maxing out their credit cards..... Right now, the fed is only charging the banks less than 1% interest to continue the shenanigans that got us into this mess.and they won't lend to small business... There's plenty of blame to go around... You're pretty naive if you think is just about democrats and liberals.

December 3, 2010 at 1:56 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

December 3, 2010 at 1:01 p.m.

• How is that hopey-changey thing working out for you? Time for stroll down memory lane to the "bad" Bush years. Unemployment 4.4%(the lowest on record) the DJI at 14,000 (the highest in history) from the tax cuts now in question. Millions of jobs created and record productivity gains, record home ownership, record GDP growth, zero inflation. When did things change? January 2007 Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid put Barney Frank and Chris Dodd in charge of the banking industry. The Bush administrating warned them repeatedly about the dangers lurking for Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae but were soon warned by Frank and the soon to be convicted Maxine Walters that everything was fine as Franklin raines made millions from those two entities.
    The economy is what happens when you put college professors in charge of the economy with NO real world experience.
    How things work in the classroom and the real world are two different things.
    Hope and change, hope and change, hope and change.
    2012 will be here before we know it and barrack Obama,mmm,mmm,mmm will be sent to the history books.

December 3, 2010 at 12:45 p.m.

• #1 The Democrats don't need the Republicans approval to do anything and hasn't for the past 2 years. They RULE EVERYTHING! How do you think healthcare extortion got past. Overwhelming majority, the Progressives can do what they want. So it's excuses, excuses. No responsibility.

#2 If the "rich" business owners, who hire people and make work, have to pay more taxes they will not hire anyone. More cost. The "healthcare tax" has already increased businesses cost. If taxes go up then increase again, more no hiring. Unempolyment compensation does not drive up the economy. Crazy. It is not to make a living on, just to get by. Or at least it is suppose to be.

Dish Network is one of most of the businesses in the US that are doing more with less. My work, my wifes work, sons work....all the same. Spending by this government to it's pet's is out of control, inflation is on it's way. The Rep's started the drive over the cliff, the Dem's pushed on the accelerator harder. Cutting spending is the first thing to be done, all responsible, non progressive's agree. Clinton learned, I don't think Obama can. He has never had enough experience in the real world.

According to government records, the $700 billion so called tax break to the "rich" is a 10 year total. Obama, Pelosi and Reid have handed out over $400 billion in in unemployment checks in 2 years. I think it would be cheaper on us to increase ways to get these people back to work. Tax incentives to businesses, etc..

December 3, 2010 at 12:05 p.m.

• I usually prefer some actual data,woofwoof that way I don't have to rely on "Fruits of your foolishness."...:-0

Within professional and business services, employment in temporary help services
    continued to increase in November (+40,000) and has risen by 494,000 since Septem-2009
    Health care continued to add jobs over the month, with a gain of 19,000. Much of
    the increase occurred in hospitals (+8,000).
    Employment in mining continued to trend up over the month. Support activities for
    mining added 6,000 jobs in November and has added 74,000 jobs since October 2009.
    Retail trade employment fell by 28,000 in November. Job losses occurred in depart-
    ment stores (-9,000) and in furniture and home furnishings stores (-5,000).
    Employment in manufacturing was little changed over the month (-13,000). Following
    job growth earlier in 2010, employment has been relatively flat, on net, since May.
    Employment in most other major industries changed little in November.
    The average workweek for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls held at 34.3
    hours in November. The manufacturing workweek for all employees also was unchanged,
    at 40.3 hours, and factory overtime remained at 3.1 hours. The average workweek for
    production and nonsupervisory employees on private nonfarm payrolls decreased by
    0.1 hour to 33.5 hours. (See tables B-2 and B-7.)

This is just a sample of the information that is available.

The information is on the and United States Department of labor's website under the Bureau of Labor Statistics... In plain sight for all to see....

December 3, 2010 at 11:57 a.m.

• I missed this statement,where woofwoof said "If the President returns the unemployment checks to 26 weeks like before, watch the rate go down to 5% overnight."

Wow, if the president could waive a magic wand (26 weeks of unemployment compensation) 14 million people would join the workforce!... The president like any other politician, wants to get reelected, if that was a guarantee(an it's certainly not, more like a fantasy) why wouldn't he do that?

BTW Could you provide a link that proves all those percentages you posted?

December 3, 2010 at 11:36 a.m.

• woofwoof,

I've read where there is 1 job available to every 6 people unemployed. Do those numbers add up to where everyone that wants a job can get one?

December 3, 2010 at 11:33 a.m.

• woofwoof

For the umpteenth time,DEMAND is the problem and will continue to be so until consumers start spending... Employers are not going to hire until they see a bigger demand for their products. Employers are willing to pay overtime and double the workload on their current employees... They will elevate part timers to full time before they do any actual hiring.

The private sector only added 39,000 jobs last month, that is way below the 150,000 that we need to stay at current pace... We need 250,000 jobs added each month to get back where we were before the financial crisis.

A telephone survey is one way unemployment is calculated, so it's pretty deceiving... The 9.8% could mean more people are out there looking for jobs because they feel companies are now hiring. Those people get counted as unemployed.

I don't pretend to be a economic forecaster but for every dollar of unemployment compensation, $2.00 of economic activity is generated.

As for the Obama administration; it's just doing what previous administrations have done and BTW extending unemployment compensation has always been bipartisan until January 20,2009.

You may indeed have all the answers but I just write what I read about.....As for PLAIN FACTS...at best subjective

December 3, 2010 at 11:26 a.m.

• Alert, Plain facts...
    If unemployment pay is extended agiain you can expect another increase in the unemployment rate.
    Mike, why no statistical breakdown in the long term unemployed?
    As I expect, 30% are minimum wage types that make more on unemployment than working and 30% are dual incomes that one worker is employed and the other draws an uneplyment check. And 20% are skilled workers that can not find work in their field and are unwilling to change. And the remaining 20% are chronic unemployed and refuse to change even when the rate is 3%.
    The current administration operates of the belief of spread the pain of the minority to all citizens instead of pursuing the belief in the greatest good for the greatest number with an affordable safety net of six months.
    It's way too late for you my friend to think government programs will save you rather that personal effort and capability.
    Enjoy the fruits of your foolishness.

December 3, 2010 at 11:07 a.m.

• Ha, very possibly!

December 3, 2010 at 9:48 a.m.

• KyleC- Kinda like Chris Matthews on the current president eh? lol

December 3, 2010 at 9:46 a.m.

• I know congress will eventually have to sit down and work on a plan to reduce the deficit and debt because the bond market will force them to take action; sooner or later.

I'm more concerned that we're not going to take any significant action on alternative fuels in the next two years.... China is not waiting....China is considering investments of up to $1.5 trillion over five years in seven strategic industries, sources said, a plan aimed at accelerating the country's transition from the world's supplier of cheap goods to a leading purveyor of high-value technologies.

The targeted sectors include alternative energy, biotechnology, new-generation information technology, high-end equipment manufacturing, advanced materials, alternative-fuel cars and energy-saving and environmentally friendly technologies.

The only advantage China has over us; they can dictate the direction they want to go and what companies will take 'em there.... We have a hot and cold environment(no pun intended) where one Congress will take action on alternative energy and another will do the opposite.

I was hoping that the United States would take the lead in alternative fuels but it looks like prominent members of the house and the senate are more interested in going after the EPA,because that's what the coal lobbyist want.

December 2, 2010 at 11:44 a.m.

• John McCain just won't take evidence for an answer.... Sunday, he told Candy Crowley of CNN,that DADT is working and she was wrong for saying it was not. He's moved the the goal posts so far, that there out in the parking lot..... He gets irate when someone disagrees with him.

December 2, 2010 at 11:21 a.m.

• For once I almost agree with you Mike, I know don't spill your coffee while you throw up your arms and say OMG! Tax cuts while we are borrowing 40 cents of every dollar we spend sounds like Alice in Wonderland.

I enjoyed reading about David Stockman I always thought he had a good head about the Federal budget. The Republicans got drunk on tax cuts because the Chinese were financing the federal deficits - they had the best of both worlds unrestrained spending and low taxes for awhile.

But it's the spending! One reason we had boom years during Clinton's administration is the level of spending was the lowest in decades and the deficits were near zero. It makes no difference how the government finances its operations - taxing or borrowing the money, it comes out of the private sector one way or another.

China for years gladly financed our deficits because they needed some place to invest the dollars they accumulated from our trade deficit with them - they gave us manufactured goods and we gave them paper. We gave them an easy way out, otherwise they would have had to invest those dollars in our country to produce manufacture goods that would have competed with their industries - it would have produced real jobs.

However China's trade deficit is large but our trade deficit with foreign oil exporters is even larger - we should tax this oil entering our country if we had any sense, but that's just another problem for another day I guess.

December 2, 2010 at 11:17 a.m.

• Senator McCain also needs to come out of the closet ASAP. His overcompensation as evidenced today in the face of Admiral Mullen spoke volumes.

:-)

December 2, 2010 at 11:10 a.m.