Comments

• Thanks Pat

Next time I'm in Houston, I'll stop by Dromgoole's and check it out, I promise not to buy the last bottle of ink..:-).... There's also a great used bookstore in that area.

December 17, 2010 at 9:22 a.m.

• VBB,you asked "Mike, about your Ipad, how is it different from a laptop, besides size?"

That's a great question but it's just a matter of preference and needs...IMO

1..It is my opinion that the iPad's has longer lasting batteries; I charge it every couple of days, but it still has 40% of charge left.
    2. The iPad does not have a hard drive for storage, but it's much lighter and you can read an E- book while you're waiting for an appointment, without being too conspicuous.
    3. The instant on/ off switch of the iPad suits my needs because I can lay it on the coffee table and if curiosity overwhelms me; I can instantly Google it.
    4. I used to hate to take my wife shopping, but now I volunteer because she can take forever; meaning I have more time to finish a book, without being called a scrooge..:-)
    5. The GPS features on the iPad is a selling point for me....
    I would say that the iPad should be an add on, not a replacement because it's a much easier to upload pictures and print directly from a laptop.

December 17, 2010 at 9:14 a.m.

• Mike,
    Finding bottled ink in Victoria is difficult. Luckily,there is a great stationery/pen store in Houston named Dromgoole's. It is located in Rice Village. I can get cartridges of ink for my pens locally,though.

December 17, 2010 at 6:32 a.m.

• Reeder, this is a nice blog reminiscing about the past...please don't bring politics into it. You can change names all you want but people will still label themselves with whatever it takes to get them elected, regardless of their beliefs.

Mike, about your Ipad, how is it different from a laptop, besides size?

December 16, 2010 at 6:05 p.m.

• Mike,
    If your friends in Washington don't wake up and see that the US is a centrist government, the word Democrat will soon be one of those obsolete terms you mentioned, followed shortly by Republican. Maybe we need to turn to more descriptive terms like Liberal and Conservative parties.

December 16, 2010 at 5:15 p.m.

• As far as address books vs computers go, it sounds as if the old fashioned way is easier to keep up with everything if we could keep from losing it!

December 16, 2010 at 2:31 p.m.

• What it's no wonder no one was able to name the 5th Dick's Food Store; it didn't exist.

I went to the Victoria Public library looked up the 1966 grocers, in the Victoria R. L. Polk city directory and found that the name of that store was "Cattans."... Today, it is Sam's Restaurant Supply @ 1611 N. Laurent right across the street from Herman's.

My wife was right, there was an HEB in the old Village Shopping Mall...She said we used to shop there but that's not something that stayed with me.

Remember the old telephone numbers that started as Hillcrest(HI) 512.

It's been a while since I've checked out the Public Library;a lot of people there and a wealth of information...I shall return.

December 16, 2010 at 2:27 p.m.

• Rebecca, not a rumor; my children gave me an iPad for Father's day.

I was not aware that I was a participant in the game of "who is the most old-fashioned." because I would be lost without my high tech toys.:-) I would lose. I was describing an event that triggered a trip to yesteryear, when we took that side trip to downtown Richmond- Rosenberg.

That's true Rebecca; I sync my Blackberry & iPad with Microsoft Outlook but not on a daily basis It does have alarms that can be programmed... I don't have the dedication my mother had for meticulous details.... I could scan my mother's old address book (when I find it) to my desktop, and then drag it to an application called "Dropbox" which will then magically send the file to my iPad via the internet.

Don't quote me but I think the only difference between an iTouch and an iPad if the size of the viewing screen... I need a larger screen, even with my trifocals.

December 16, 2010 at 11:18 a.m.

• Mike, it's rumored that you have an iPad, so you lose in your own game of "who is the most old-fashioned." =P

If you transpose all of the dates into google calendar and then sync your iPad calendar with it, you can have all those dates stored and available on your iPad AND wherever you have internet access.

Does an iPad have the same apps as an iTouch?

I'm back here with my green horse and carriage with my lowly iPod Touch.

December 16, 2010 at 10:35 a.m.

• VBB, the address book; that's something I completely forgot... My mother's address book contained the names, and the most recent address, and telephone numbers of our long lost relatives. The day she passed away; her address book was an invaluable tool to inform all her friends and relatives about her passing.... She never forgot a birthday, anniversary, or any other special event. .....I'm ashamed to say that even with all today's sophisticated technology. I still can't keep track of all the special days like she did..... I kept that address book, but if I ever needed it, it will probably take me two or three days to find it..:-)

December 16, 2010 at 10:14 a.m.

• Mike, that's so sad about your niece & her children. I have a cousin whose children are 19 & 16 that I have never met though I have seen her frequently, she doesn't take her children places with her because "they don't know how to behave". I asked how could they learn if she never takes them out to teach them.

I have boxes of Christmas cards I buy every year meaning to send. One of those "lost" items in my house is the address book. My mom has one that she keeps in a drawer with everyone in the familys name, address & phone number. She keeps it up as people move too. Every year I would call mom for addresses & boy did she get annoyed with me! This year I said I would finally send out those Christmas cards & now I can't find them!

I too prefer to write hand written letters, I have never been a fan of e-mailing except work stuff. I have seen, but never used a fountain pen, that's really neat that people still use them.

December 16, 2010 at 9:56 a.m.

You were my last hope because my wife, who is from El Paso, just loves to rub it in when she knows or remembers something about Victoria that I don't...Now, I'm going to have to go to the public library and refresh my memory, but if I'm wrong; I will drop it and hope she never finds out..:-)

I do remember an Ice house somewhere near Juan Linn Street, but we didn't have ice delivered to us... I do remember an old time western style saloon named "Ben Geffert's" that was my uncle's favorite watering hole on Juan Linn street.... We used to stop there or Fossati's when my stepfather took me to get my hair cut.

December 16, 2010 at 9:46 a.m.

• PatB

Good for you, I'm glad to see someone is keeping that Christmas card tradition alive.

I have fond memories of my mother decorating their Christmas tree with cards she received. It was like the family Facebook because everyone sent her a picture of our extended family members. Everyone would go through the cards to see the latest pictures.

I think we only received about five Christmas cards last year, but I was a bit surprised when a nephew text messaged a Merry Christmas greeting.... I wish he would have called,

I will use my wife's stationary (flowers and all) when I write a personal letter because I think a computerized letter is just too impersonal.

Do you have trouble finding ink for your fountain pen?

December 16, 2010 at 9:27 a.m.

Sad but true; family time is going by the wayside..... My niece and her husband refused to eat at the same table with their two children because of their table manners...Huh? That's where we got our table manners; a quick slap across the hands for using our fingers and that loud voice reminding us not to talk with our mouth full of food.

Good point,that's another knock against cell phone only; I like to keep mine on for that important call... A barrage of calls from solicitors would change my mine.

December 16, 2010 at 9:11 a.m.

• Mike
    I don't remember a Dick's Store at Guadalupe and N Laurent but we traded at Dick's West End on Moody St and there could have been a store there on N Laurent and Guadalupe.
    Another to add to your list for us folks slightly older is:
    The Ice Man
    When I was a small child we had a icebox and the Ice Man delivered a block of ice to keep things cold. The block sat on a wooden deck in the bottom of the icebox and the melted water was drained outside.
    Keep up these good articles. You are talented here.

December 16, 2010 at 8:40 a.m.

• I still have a need for stationery and Christmas cards! I have a regular list of people to whom I send hand-written letters and/or note cards. I also mail out about 30 or so cards every year. All of these are written with a FOUNTAIN PEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Patrick T. Barnes

December 16, 2010 at 7:03 a.m.

• Well Mike, I guess I am on the decline too....the things you say are going away I use daily, my employers are cheap! I am reading a hardback book now, it was on sale! My telephone book was delivered today, but it is still on my front porch...I will toss it into the recycle can tomorrow. I refuse to give up my land line even though I don't have a phone plugged in, because I don't want to give my cell # to all the entities that require you to furnish them a phone # since they tend to turn around & sell that info to anyone with a buck.

My granddaughter runs around outside without shoes, she has an imaginary horse that she cannot seem to control, she loves board games & playing Go Fish, with real cards to boot! She does know how to navigate the computer (she's 3) & work the DVD player though. I never allowed my daughter to have video game systems or a TV in her room when she was growing up, I hope my daughter follows my lead, it leads to more time spent as a family IMO. It's sad but "family time" seems to be going by the wayside.

My grandma loved her party line, she listened in on the neighbors conversations, had a fight or 100 with them too over their usage of the phone, she thought it was too much!

Never met a door to door milkman. But I do remember the door to door vaccuum, encyclopedia & life insurance salesman. Actually the other day a kid came by selling newspaper subscriptions.

I do remember most of the stores you listed but only knew of 3 Dicks stores......wasn't aware of the one on Juan Linn...now known as the red light district! : )

Enjoyed your blog Mike!

December 15, 2010 at 10:25 p.m.

• Thanks Legion 357,you are not helping my case...:-)

I know have to make sure my wife doesn't see this blog...We went back and forth about the name of store from just outside of Edna to Victoria...I remember the Dick's in old Dutch Lane and believe it not,my grandmother lived on San Antonio street (a stones throw away) from the Dick's (I thought) on North Laurent..We went there every day in the summer but your mom is probably right..Grandma just said go to store and I can't remember ever looking up at the sign...I better double my vitamin B12 dosage.

I remember the Old Post store.

December 15, 2010 at 5:38 p.m.

• I went with my father to the Wepreck , don't know if that's spelled right, in about 66 or 67, and bought my first pair of rubber boots. Nice lady running it, her name was Ella if I remember right. The store was at North St. & Navarro.

Anyone that went to school at Patti Welder or William Offer in the 60's and before, will remember the Post Food store. It was across the street from the PW gym on North street and the old VISD Adm. building on the other street.

December 15, 2010 at 5:35 p.m.

• The original Dick's Grocery was at 1010 E. Juan Linn. Across the street from Texas Lumber. That part of Juan Linn was known as Dutch Lane years ago.

I asked my mom about a Dicks on Laurent, she doesn't remember one, but thinks there was a store owned by a different middle eastern family in that area at one time.

December 15, 2010 at 5:26 p.m.

• You are a local girl..:-)

I forgot about the Model Market.... There used to be a Dick's Food Store (original) on Juan Linn Street
    close to where where the Mumphord's Barbecue resides, that was in the 50s.... My wife disagrees with me about the one on North Laurent but what does she know, she's only lived in Victoria for 40 years; I was born here..lol... I wouldn't bet my last dollar, but I'm hoping someone like arlewill ,will agree that there used to be a small Dick's Food Store on North Laurent and Guadalupe street.

Thanks for sharing

December 15, 2010 at 3:27 p.m.

• My mom would stand at the door and call us inside for supper. We would play outside, even after dark, 'cause our eyes were adjusted.

I learned to skate at a skating rink and at home I had skates that fastened onto my shoes with a skate key that I wore around my neck on a ribbon. We would skate all around the neighborhood and loved the sound of the metal wheels on the sidewalks. (This was in when we moved into town.)

the five Dick's were: Lone Tree shopping center, Down by the river (near Sanitary Moo-Moo), The Dick's by Dairy Treet (where Elvis ate a burger one time), and the other two have me stumped.

I do remember going to the movies and getting in, buying treats and still getting change from a couple of dollars.

I also remember the vaccuum tubes in the JC Penney's store downtown, the early morning that all the new seniors waited outside of Bill Barnes to pick up their senior rings (day after the last class walked across and graduated).

Tele-tenna was the "cable" company in town.

Up North we had coal chutes into our basement, for delivery of what made our furnance heat our houses. We also had a special box near our door for the bottles of milk (so they wouldn't freeze in the winter.)

Model Market was the "expensive" grocery store in town, but they all had counter checks (didn't need to know routing or account numbers).

I could go on and on, but I guess I've already revealed too much about my age.

December 15, 2010 at 3:02 p.m.

• Mike, just this morning I caught myself saying, "I don't want you to go to your room until you have finished your school work." The fun stuff is in the bedrooms now. LOL

December 15, 2010 at 11:49 a.m.

• Rebecca

Tanglewood? That was all still a wilderness when I was growing up but big yards in the city are also a thing of the past. I'm sure they still have them but as you say; builders are no longer going that route.

When I'm at family gathering, it seems that making kids go out and play is a form of punishment these days because video games are a priority.

December 15, 2010 at 11:41 a.m.

• Oh, sorry, I didn't answer your question. You asked if I make my kids go outside. I used to have to make them come inside because they were always outside. We lived on Tanglewood and my kids were the ones who were always at the top of our tree.

Since we've moved, they don't go outside as much because the yard is small and these houses are close together. I'm ready to move.

Anyone want to trade houses? Sick of mowing? My house has a tiny yard. =D

December 15, 2010 at 11:30 a.m.

• born2Bme

I'm so old; my grand kids are practically adults..:-)

We still have a land line but we're seriously thinking about getting rid of that extra expense. We have hesitated because my wife keeps forgetting to keep her cell charged... I certainly don't want her relatives or friends calling my cell for that important call that couldn't wait...lol

My wife and I are not on Facebook but our children tell us the latest details because the rest of our extended family is on Facebook.

December 15, 2010 at 11:19 a.m.

• Mike, when I was a little girl my stick horse had a "face." Eventually, I didn't have to pretend, I just saddled up my real horse. =P

(I have video of my daughter galloping around in circles switching leads. She pretended she WAS the horse. I used to pretend that I was a horse, too. Forget the stick.)

December 15, 2010 at 11:16 a.m.

• Lol..Rebecca, my childhood was back in the olden days when we used an old mop for a stick horse... I'm glad no one took a picture of me using a stick horse; that would be embarrassing. Our GI Joe's were just generic green plastic army men in a prone,on one knee, or standing position.... I can't remember playing in the house much because I was told;" that's what what winter coats are for."

December 15, 2010 at 11:04 a.m.

• Mike, not only do they still make toy army men, but they make warriors from various historical periods as well. My nine year old has Medieval looking warriors that carry swords and shields and even warriors that look like barbarians with axes. I think it's funny to watch him play because he will make an army tank face a guy with an ax. LOL I think we found them at Hastings. Would be cool to use with a world history study.

We need to find a pack of "army men" that contains a few elephants! "Now, go pretend you are fighting the Punic Wars!" (My nine year old liked Hannibal.)

My son just informed me that he has "pirates and skeletons" too!

December 15, 2010 at 10:57 a.m.

• My kids are all grown now, the oldest one is 30, but they used to play outside most of the day. They had their bicycles and cousins lived next door, so they could find things to do all the time. My son even gave himself a black eye one time just pushing an old tire with rim one time and he slipped and fell against it. Try explaining that to other people!
    I try to stay as old-fashioned as I can, but the kids have moved high-tech. I still have a land line and no cell phone, do not use a ATM, try not to use my charge cards, use cash for everything I can, and still pay bills with checks.

December 15, 2010 at 10:53 a.m.

• Rebecca

Did you ever tell your kids to go out and play?I still remember the sandlot baseball games;I don't see that anymore.

We used to have the rubber band games at school..Ah,so they still make toy army men.

December 15, 2010 at 10:44 a.m.

• Mom and pop stores where the owners LIVED above their store!

My children love to play board games and they are still playing hide and seek - almost every day. They also make weapons and pretend to be, not cowboys and indians, but characters from a video game. =P

Oh! One of the games my boys played/play is "rubber band wars." They fold little tiny pieces of paper into the shape of a "V" and use rubber bands to launch them. They set up toy army men around the house, assign points, and shoot the pieces of paper at them. Anyone else have kids that do that?

December 15, 2010 at 10:37 a.m.