Comments

• Thanks Holly1
    Holly1, my Dr. Of 15 years assured me he will stick with me. I guess he appreciates the copayments and insurance payments throughout the years. Seriously, he has worked with me to find the correct units of insulin to maintain a good level of blood\sugar. He thinks I'm good to go ,when I switch from quarterly visits to yearly.

alewill

I hope my first day of calling insurance companies is not an indication of things to come. I didn't feel like talking to a recorded message because this Medicare rookie needed some help. The first two insurance companies I called, had a complex menu that eventually told me a call back later. When I did get someone to respond, I got a representative with a northern dialect(sounded like a Gatling gun) who got his rehearsed answer out in 15 seconds but leaving me baffled...I'm going to try some websites and try again later this afternoon. Thanks again for the advice.

July 15, 2010 at 9:19 a.m.

• Mike
    Welcome to my world. The benefit plans of supplemental insurance are essentially the same and listed alphabetically (A-H). The premium varies and depends on the average age of the people insured by the company. If you are lucky, you will find a reputable company with a younger insured group, thus a lower premium.
    Don't be fooled by AARP ads. They don't insure anybody and get paid for the use of their name and advertising. You will get birthday letters from all supplemental insurers. Each birthday increases your premium. I would encourage you to shop around before you buy supplemental coverage.
    Good luck!

July 15, 2010 at 6:19 a.m.

• mike you must enroll in suplimental insurance as soon as you can if you wait you won't be able to get it later on. Good luck with finding or keeping doctors as obamacare guts medicare more and more docs will be leaving medicine or not taking medicare at all.

July 14, 2010 at 11:32 p.m.

• Congratulations Mike.....now you are going to be on Medicare. It won't be long until you will experience the wonders of Obamacare.

July 14, 2010 at 6:33 p.m.

• Yea, I had forgotten about that but I'm going to get the $250 to cover the doughnut hole in the prescription drug bill and a free physical exam..:-)..By the time my doctor gets through, the free exam will be a duplication.

July 14, 2010 at 4:31 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

July 14, 2010 at 4:13 p.m.

• You can save some time by not looking into Medicare Advantage. Obamacare has gutted the funding for it and, if nothing changes, in a few years it will cease to exist as the insurance companies that offer it are unable to sustain the losses they are starting to incur. To the extent that it survives at all, it will bear little resemblance to the original program.

July 14, 2010 at 4:03 p.m.

• Thanks Triangle, I think, that's an awful gloomy picture...:-)

Medicare Part D will be first on my reading list but I have always been under the impression since I didn't sustain a service connected injury; I was not entitled to VA health benefits... I will check into that..Thanks again.

July 14, 2010 at 4 p.m.

• I can tell you this much. Medicare does not cover your eyes, ears or teeth. Having said that, I also know Medicare will pay for one pair of eyeglasses, and that's lifetime coverage. ONE pair. They may assist with payments to an ear doctor for an exam, but they will not cover hearing aids. Medicare does not offer any coverage at all for teeth, which includes exams and/or dentures. As we age, even if we are fairly healthy, we will tend to lose our hearing, our eyesight, and teeth. So, thanks Medicare, for making sure we are just a bunch of monkeys in your eyes.

You were in the military so you probably use the V.A. for medications. If not, you should. Medicare will harass you into taking their Part D drug program, and it could cost you.

Stay healthy!

July 14, 2010 at 3:47 p.m.