Comments

• Jbj.

HUh? What are you saying?

July 24, 2010 at 11:47 p.m.

• Sorry, Mike, I really didn't even think of what you wanted when I expressed my thoughts regarding your impression. In other words, I really didn't think about what you would think about what I thought you thought.... or something like that.

July 23, 2010 at 10:34 p.m.

• While I agree that president Obama is more political than I anticipated ; I think he has accomplished a whole lot in just 19 months. The recession, almost a depression, will take more than two years to turn around . I'm guess is anxious as anyone else, I do hope he does stick to his promise about leaving Iraq and Afghanistan, so we can devote our full attention to a fragile economy.

I don't put all the blame on the politicians because we have a lot of uninformed voters. I think the voters should elect their politician of choice but then they must let them govern. We were headed for a bipartisan Congress but then everything broke lose; the voters did know what they wanted; hence the politicians did know what the constituents wanted.

I have always said that a divided government works best because there has been proven time after time. Pundits say if the GOP gains several seats or gains control of one chamber of Congress it will help Obama like it did Clinton. I believe that.

July 23, 2010 at 5:29 p.m.

• texaskg3 I agree with most of your comments, but am a little different on two points. I expected more of Bush, but I think I had Obama pegged from the start. We will get through this if the center will pull together. A huge swing to the right won't make it better, but good compromise by honest, fair minded people can pull us out of this.

July 23, 2010 at 5:23 p.m.

• I admit that Bush had me fooled for about two years. However, I had hi hopes for Obama and he has turned out to be just as bad for the country as the rest of the politicians I have seen in my 62 years. I hope that the left and right will find a way to pull to the center and solve enough of the disasters that a runaway federal government has caused before it's to late.

July 23, 2010 at 5:12 p.m.

• Fine and dandy, let me rephrase...

I take it you agreed 100% with what was said since you parroted talking points from her show in your own comments.

As to what is best for the Obama administration,I agree with the advice given on the Maddow show.

July 23, 2010 at 5:07 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

July 23, 2010 at 4:59 p.m.

• Legion357

One last point, then I'm through with this subject....You stated " while you regularly reply to other posters that all they are saying are right wing "talking points" and to go watch more FOX news. "
    Why do you really care what I tell other posters or what they tell me? What's it to you? I know you're trying to make a point about hypocrisy but can't that be said of every poster in this forum?

I usually stay out of disagreements between posters.

Since you watch my comments so closely, you should know by now that I'm not ashamed of watching MSNBC and quoting from it; nor am I am ashamed of my lefty leanings. Why shouldn't everyone be upfront because you make a few post and people will judge you anyway. I don't know any moderates.

You can call me anything in the book and it will roll right off of me; except for calling me a liar or a plagiarizer.

July 23, 2010 at 4:57 p.m.

• Oh,I think we were polarized from 2000-2008 putting up with the worst president in our nation's history.

July 23, 2010 at 4:41 p.m.

• Well, I want to say howdy to all you politicos out there.
    Just want you all to ask yourself a question. Why are we so occupied with racial questions? Could it be that instead of bringing a country together with leadership and hope our current leader has managed to polarize us more than any other president in history.

July 23, 2010 at 4:33 p.m.

• Writein
    I really did not understand what jbj meant by that comment but after a while you get tired of all the ignorance and games use to provoke another poster.

Perhaps I shouldn't have written the blog because I'm usually about politics and the issues related to legislation. I just couldn't get the injustice off my mind, so I wrote a blog to get it out of my system. Many of the comments were thoughtful, so I thought I was home free and we could move on to the next subject. Then came charges of plagiarism and something about trying to skirt the issue. How can I skirt something I never want to talk about the first place?

July 23, 2010 at 4:13 p.m.

• Mike, IMO, you are way over thinking what my comment meant.

If anything my point would be that you used left leaning, (wing), "talking points", (and I did agree it would be a good strategy for the administration to follow), while you regularly reply to other posters that all they are saying are right wing "talking points" and to go watch more FOX news.

It's that simple. No shenanigans planned on my part.

July 23, 2010 at 4:02 p.m.

• Jbj.

How can you say this, “ Some people use the racism card as an answer to any disagreement. I really did not expect that of you.” when you call the President a racist?

You need to look in the mirror, jbj.

July 23, 2010 at 4 p.m.

• jbj
    What ever gave you the impression that I wanted to live up to your expectations?

There was an element of racism in the blog but it was not the the part I was emphasizing.

I blamed the administration and the NAACP for not giving this woman a fair hearing before condemning her.

I expected the shenanigans of Andrew Brieitbart and Fox news.... That's what they do.

The title of the blog was " Sorry and Thank you" meaning she never had to go through this and I wanted to show what she had been through and yet she was giving a speech to encourage others to move on.

July 23, 2010 at 3:53 p.m.

• @ 3:36PM I wrote "after five are 6 hours of watching "
    Correction
    "after five or six hours of watching"
    I originally wrote

"you go out of your way to try and embarrass me are accuse me of plagiarism.
    "
    Correction
    you go out of the way to try and embarrass me or accuse me of plagiarism.

July 23, 2010 at 3:45 p.m.

• Race baiting is a time honored method of rallying a political party's base and that's what this story is all about - everyone just move on, been there done that, yawn!

July 23, 2010 at 3:45 p.m.

• Earth to Mike. The incident was about racsim. Your blog is about racism. To skirt the issue of racism or the part it played in this incident would fail to address the topic.

July 23, 2010 at 3:42 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

July 23, 2010 at 3:39 p.m.

• legion357

I don't know what your problem is but I'm pretty sure it's not that "you presented dialogue from her show as your own comments.".... The other comments were from statements that were made on the show does that mean I cannot use the words " Fight the smears" because she used the words that particular night? That's ridiculous, because I wrote a blog about " fight the smears" when Brarack Obama was running for president. There are community words that can be used without giving credit and I never intended to plagiarize. The fact that you watched a liberal show, gives me suspicion that you have a trick up your sleeve.

Are you the forum police? Will you be watching Fox or MSNBC for plagiarism in the future?

I usually write a blog with the thought that come in my head and after five are 6 hours of watching or listening to political subjects it is quite possible that I will repeat what I heard. I go out of my my way to leave references at the bottom of my blog but you go out of your way to try and embarrass me are accuse me of plagiarism.

BTW :-) don't cut it

July 23, 2010 at 3:36 p.m.

• No spat at all, I just thought it was interesting. In fact I even thought the comments would be good advice for the Obama administration.

July 23, 2010 at 3:25 p.m.

• Yes Sir, you credited the Maddow show in your blog, and I take it you agreed 100% with what was said since you presented dialogue from her show as your own comments.

Other than that, no "talking" point at all. ;)

July 23, 2010 at 3:22 p.m.

• Legion357

I don't know what you were implying @2:57Pm or 3:15Pm or any other time but I watch it MSNBC from 5:00 PM until 9:00 PM and several of their comments will generally stick with me. Is that against the rules or are you going to try to tit-for-tat on a comment I made to another poster? Are you trying to say that I'm plagiarizing. I don't have the kind of memory to remember someone's words ,verbatim but I will take it.... Thank you.

Several of the pundits will use the same talking points ,as will the politicians, it's like a catchy tune.

It seems like you trying to mimic, mock, or more less making a mountain out of a molehill. I always think it's a good policy to stay out of spat between posters.

Have a good one

July 23, 2010 at 3:16 p.m.

• You would sign it because you would immediately know that you would be above all that talk show rhetoric.... I've seen it in the workplace when we had a female or minority supervisor..... Again, that's not saying that there's not a lot of genuine hate out there.

July 23, 2010 at 3:01 p.m.

• Mike.

Thank you for bringing up Bill Clinton unloading on Chris Wallace. I remember that interview. I almost though President Clinton was going to beat up Wallace. Sometimes I think it is needed to put FOX NEWS in its place like that instead of being like John Edwards and John Kerry and run.

I want you to answer this, what would my reaction be if Hannity, Rush, and Beck even tried to shake my hand or getting my autograph?

July 23, 2010 at 2:56 p.m.

• At the last of my blog I credited Rachel Maddow

"Last night's Rachel Maddow Show showed side-by-side clips of various Fox hosts Monday, sensationalizing the event as "racism, by someone in the Obama administration." After the tape was found to be edited the same Fox and Friends hosts said" the administration jumped the gun." That's classic “having it both wa

July 23, 2010 at 2:53 p.m.

• Legion357
    And your point?

July 23, 2010 at 2:51 p.m.

• Writein
    I don't worry about what the local conservatives, liberals, or green monsters accuse me of because I probably have thousands of common history comments and you won't find a smidgen of racism. I rarely talk about race and I made a statement to that effect.

jbj joined the forum on July 2 of this year and it seems that's all he wants to talk about.
    I have seen the back and forth between the various leaders of the Black Panther Party, Rev. Jesse Peterson, Al Sharpton , Bill O'Reilly, Hannity and others, exclusively for Fox's ratings. All participants should be ashamed. No lessons were learned but it satisfied the audience and advertisers'. MSNBC does the same thing with tea party members.

July 23, 2010 at 2:50 p.m.

• Mike, while I neither agree or disagree with them, a couple of your comments I heard on the Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC last night, almost word for word. They where..

"they should be left to the DNC" you made @ 11:21 am and
    "They obviously overreacted but President Obama had a web site while he was campaigning called " Fight the Smears." The WH might think of reusing that because this will not be the last time Andrew Brieitbart will use Fox News to promote his propaganda."@ 10:38am

I read your comments and thought ,Hmm, I heard that said on TV last night.

July 23, 2010 at 2:47 p.m.

• Mike.

If I would had said what you just said, then the local Conservatives would pounce on me. Thank you.

July 23, 2010 at 2:35 p.m.

• Lol...Writein.... And you know what, I sincerely believe Hannity,Rush, and Beck would get up quickly to shake your hand and try get your autograph.... I remember Rush Limbaugh talking about meeting President Clinton at a restaurant, he sounded like a groupie.... Think about it, when Al Sharpton goes on Hannity, they have mutual respect for each other and they are polar opposites..... I've truly believe most of it is an act to entice their audience.... Now, they are some hate merchants out there that truly hate Obama....... Remember when Bill O'Reilly was standing outside the ropes waiting to beg candidate Obama to come on his show..... Remember when Chris Wallace put out that countdown clock, awaiting president Obama to come on the Sunday show.

You do have a point because I also remember when Bill Clinton put Chris Wallace in his place.We didn't hear any more of blaming Clinton for 9/11.

Like I said,a time and a place.

July 23, 2010 at 2:35 p.m.

• jbj
    Number one, I don't discuss one sided hypothetical and it just seems to me that you are obsessed with race issues. That seems all you want to talk about. A great deal of your comment history deals with race. Is it because we have a black president?

What's your point? You will never convince me that Fox News doesn't race bait . Fox appeals to an audience that likes that sort of stuff.

July 23, 2010 at 2:21 p.m.

• Mike.

Ok, then lets agree to disagree. I tell you this.......if this was President BIGJ rather than President Obama, the whole tone and mood would change on FOX NEWS. I wouldn't even annouce I am coming to them. I would show up suprising them and catch them off guard.

July 23, 2010 at 2:21 p.m.

• Writein
    We'll just have to disagree on this one 'cause I remember a rally that president Obama attended after his detractors were throwing their best shots at him, he went to the podium, adjusted the microphone, paused a little bit, broke out into a big smile and pretended to dust off his collar while mocking his detractors. The crowd broke out in laughter. A time and a place.

By even mentioning the name of Glenn Beck, the president of the United States will just elevate Glenn Beck's status and increase his ratings. Glenn Beck is just a right wing radio/TV personality, president Obama is one of the most powerful men on earth. Beck ,Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and Andrew Brieitbart know that; they are envious. Put them all for together and they cannot come up with 69 million votes.

July 23, 2010 at 2:03 p.m.

• JBJ

Just like the song from Timberland & Old Republic, It's too late to apologize.

July 23, 2010 at 2:01 p.m.

• Fox aired the part of the tape they had after she had resigned. Glenn Beck spent half of his show taking up for her and saying that she should not lose her job.

But let me tell you a story. Over twenty years ago, I was a young professor of education at a university and my job was to choose students who should go on and become teachers, and I also needed to help them apply for their student loans. I thought that black students would probably not be as talented as white ones so I did not always do as much for them. Then I realized that I am dealing with students who want to help children, and it is not about black and white, it is about helping young adults begin their careers. So I referred the black ones to a black professor.

How do you feel about the way I handled my position? Do you think I should have been in a position to work with such an important group of students when I had a serious hang up with working with black students? Do you think I was over my bias by referring them to another professor?

It is not a true story, I was never a professor, but I thought to see this story from the other side might give some insight to the story. This woman had a bias that she could not overcome and in fairness, referred the white farmer to a white co worker.

I have worked with people all my adult life and have not hesitated refering an individual to another person because of some type of problem, but never have I ever referred an individual because of race or skin color. I cannot even imagine such a situation.

This woman certainly should not have lost her job the way she did. If she was good, and truly did not have a problem working with white people in the end, that is good. But I believe a white person telling the story like the one above would have been branded a racist.

July 23, 2010 at 1:51 p.m.

• Mike.

If President Obama would be more like Lyndon Baines Johnson and Harry S. Truman, Fox News would think twice of hounding him. If I were President, Glenn Beck's red phone would have been ringing or I might show up personally and tell me off. for one believe in the "Treatment".

July 23, 2010 at 1:42 p.m.

• Writein

You might be right ,SOME people take kindness as a sign of weakness but you have also railed against the "cowboy up, hang 'em high attitudes. " Kindness eventually won out for people like Gandhi, Mandela, and Dr. Martin Luther King.

While I agree, Andrew Brieitbart and Fox News should be dealt with; they should be left to the DNC..... The White House does not have time for these distractions because they have to deal with our foreign and domestic policies. Besides, playing down to your opponent , only legitimizes them. When a White House went after Fox news, they lost. Why? The mainstream media saw this as a bullying tactic and they feared they could be next. Old adage: " you don't go to war with someone who buys ink by the barrel." The power of the press should not be taken lightly.

Presidents Lyndon Baines Johnson and Harry S. Truman did not have to contend with 24/7 cable news and the Internet.

July 23, 2010 at 11:21 a.m.

• Holly1
    OK,Holly1 I agreed with a lot of what you said until it came to the self admitted clown, Glenn Beck... I won't go into a long discussion but he just another entertainer and if he gets anything right ,it might be because " a clock always strikes 12 twice a day."

I'm also getting leery of polls because we have too many and they are generally all over the place.

July 23, 2010 at 10:46 a.m.

• arlewill

I agree,this did show extremely poor support management skills. The last I heard, someone who initiated the firing proposal at USDA will either be reprimanded or fired.

The White House has a media crisis management team ,that monitors conservative media and YouTube, so they can put out an immediate response for a situation ,such as the one that happened. They obviously overreacted but President Obama had a web site while he was campaigning called " Fight the Smears." The WH might think of reusing that because this will not be the last time Andrew Brieitbart will use Fox News to promote his propaganda.

July 23, 2010 at 10:38 a.m.

• N45BA posted "Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Greta Van Susteren, Mike Huckabee, Shepard Smith, Neil Cavuto, & Glenn Beck."Beck.How can you not support something that was able to assemble a team of professionals that are this good???No, I'm not trying to be sarcastic here!!!

You might not be trying to be sarcastic but you're way off base when it comes to being factual.

Fox may indeed be the number one CABLE NEWS NETWORK but it dwarfs when you compare to network news...."Nightly News with Brian Williams" averaged 9.92 million total viewers for its best first quarter average in five years. ABC's "World News with Diane Sawyer" came in second with 8.27 million total viewers, while "CBS Evening News with Katie Couric" placed third with 6.45 million total.

Of the seven you mention, Shepherd Smith can be considered a newscaster and Neil Cavuto can be a business newscaster but the rest are simply opinion TV hosts.

I won't even go into the first and isolated mistake.

You have a good day.

July 23, 2010 at 10:27 a.m.

• Holly1.

People take kindness as a weakness. I believe in the Harry S Truman style of debating. Fox News is the modern day verison of Willie Lynch.

I blame the Obama White House for being like John Kerry instead of being LBJ or Harry Truman and MAN UP !!!!!!!!!!!!

July 23, 2010 at 5:11 a.m.

• We all know that the major news channels have become less about news and more about politics. Which side of the isle you sit on pretty much dictates where you get your news from.

I hardly watch any news anymore because no matter which one you turn on all you get is spin. I bet one would get a better cross section of viewpoints on this blog than on any news channel.

Both sides here need to be a little less defensive and a little more civil. I think Mike would agree with me on this. We can have much better exchanges of points of view with out all the personal attacks on others who have a different opinion on a subject. We should all look at ourselves in the mirror and ask ourselves do we really have to bash another to feel better or defend our side of an issue.

Point in case:
    I am always labeled as a beck lover or a fox news lover just because I have a right of center view on the issues. I am NOT a republican. I don't watch Hannity at all. Beck does bring up good points from time to time and is not afraid to go after both sides when they are acting foolish.

I don't follow the left of center news channels but am sure they bring up good points as well.

Lets all try to limit ourselves to what our position is on an issue and why we think that way instead of throwing out slanted polls or stories to back it up. (we all know polls are only as good as the way the question is asked or what position the poll is supporting.)

With that I say good night and look forward to future exchanges with all.

July 22, 2010 at 11:01 p.m.

• Mike
    I find it to be very poor management to fire an employee without having an employee discussion. I retired eleven years ago as a middle manager and had been in management for 23 years. I do not recall a single incident where an employee was fired without giving the employee an opportunity to discuss the problem.
    This lady had been an employee for over twenty years and deserved an opportunity to explain what happened.
    This is poor management and shows little respect for a long term employee.

July 22, 2010 at 9:31 p.m.

• Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then...The light bulb went on, someone that CNN said " let's go interview the farmer."

I cringe every time I hear Wolf Blitzer describe his panel as" the best political team on television" over and over again....:-)

Sherrod said she was offered some type of civil rights position in the department's Office of Outreach, and that she was expecting to receive something official in an e-mail from the department. She said Thursday morning she had not had a chance to see that yet.

July 22, 2010 at 5:02 p.m.

• so what job was she offered?

July 22, 2010 at 4:53 p.m.

• I've noticed CNN try to emulate the BBC with a more "just the facts" approach over the last year but it still suffers from over-sensalization and saturation coverage of issues.

If I hear Wolf Blitzer tell me to "Stand by" more than a dozen times in one hour its been a good day!

July 22, 2010 at 4:46 p.m.

• I refuse to watch FOX. The weather channel is more accurate than these bozo's.

They used to be my favorite channel but CNN has really been fair and balance on all their shows.

I guess we all are gullable.

July 22, 2010 at 4:41 p.m.

• Being the first to report a doctored tape is nothing to be proud of.
    CNN Actually CNN had one their news correspondents in Georgia interview the farmers that were involved. That's journalism.
    The tape came from Andrew Brieitbart.

July 22, 2010 at 1:04 p.m.

• This is exactly why I do not trust a thing that comes from FOX. Too many times they air edited tapes, wrong innuendo's, and stuff that it entirely meant to mislead to support their right-wing agenda. This story is proof positive.

July 22, 2010 at 1 p.m.

• Actually, I think Bill O'Reilly broke the story. The next day, Glenn Beck dedicated half of his show to telling the correct story and O'Reillly admitted that he had not had access to the entire tape. He apologized for his story and set the story straight.

I am not sure where the tape came from, but it was doctored before Fox got it.

I don't think Fox aired the tape before she had resigned.

July 22, 2010 at 12:51 p.m.