Comments

• I know the right wing wants to do anything to continue demonizing the president but in it's not just about unions it's really about red tape.

Only a day after Fox News quoted Adm. Allen saying, "To date, nobody has come for a Jones Act waiver," Coast Guard Captain Roger Laferriere, the second-in-command, told ABC World News that both Allen and President Obama had, in fact, worked to waive the Jones Act to allow more foreign vessels to attack the spill.

"We have exhausted all our east coast supply of skimming vessels," Capt. Laferriere said. "We are now looking at Norway, France, Spain and other European vessels."
    There are currently 447 skimming boats working the unabated spill area, the mass of which is now inching towards Florida. Unified Command last week implemented a "surge" strategy of moving the fleet to areas directly threatened by the spill. Evidence built this week that Obama and the Unified Command are walking a political tightrope over the Jones Act and the role of foreign vessels in the Gulf oil spill cleanup.

I think sensible people know that BP,Thad Allen, the governor's and all those working on the problem of the oil spill, are trying their level best to get through the bottle necks of this disaster. There will be mistakes from all those involved. Politics will always rears its ugly head, as usual. Only the superficial think that it's about golf outings and yacht cruising.... Some posters thought I was criticizing Bush 41 because he did not visit Alaska during the Valdez oil spill... Quite the contrary, we did not have 24/7 cable worrying about the president Obama's attire or Fox and Friends, criticizing the president for not asking for divine intervention on one day, and then on the very next day the criticizing him for the audacity of invoking God in his speech, since he was no longer a regular churchgoer. I actually liked Bush 41 and I can't remember anyone criticizing him for not going to Alaska or saying he didn't care for the people of Alaska... As Ed Schultz likes to say" that's psycho talk."

June 22, 2010 at 4:39 p.m.

• Last night ,I watched the mini telethon Larry king hosted and I heard this morning that the oil is not getting to shore like they have predicted. It seems that skimmers they have, are doing the job but the tremendous amount of oil and dispersants have done some real damage to the sea creatures and the fishermen of Louisiana.

The final investigation may prove that the administration was negligent in not asking for more help from other countries, but that list has been out for a long time. Again, we do not have privy to the conversations between the heads of state. I don't think anyone expects the administration to come out of this situation ,unscathed.

June 22, 2010 at 4:10 p.m.

• Very interesting and informative article by Walter Williams in today's Advocate. No getting around the point he makes.

Also, the State Department has a chart up on their Web Site entitled:
    U.S. Department of State Chart on Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Response:
    International Offers of Assistance from Governments and International Bodies
    June 18, 2010
    It is a real eye opener. As it turns out, it was not a few countries who offered assistance in the Gulf; it was TWENTY. Of those, four have been partially accepted; the rest are "UNDER CONSIDERATION". Nine of the twenty offers of assistance were made on April 30, including ships and barges that can recover and store the oil. To date, NOT ONE of those ships and barges has been accepted. In other words, for over a month and a half, resources that could have been at work ameliorating the Gulf spill have been sitting in their home ports while Obama dithers and worries about offending his union allies. Too bad for the residents of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida, whose welfare clearly does not rate as highly in Obama's book.

June 22, 2010 at 3:55 p.m.

• Like a dang barnacle on a boat, and just as hard to remove...

June 22, 2010 at 2 p.m.

• RE:Ed Post

You have been stalking me for about a couple weeks, gone as far as posting your gibberish on my wall. You should know by now that I don't really care what you think of me and I certainly did not think enough of you to respond.... I never said anything about a "bait and switch" because I usually ignore your numerous posts. I have used the words" bait and switch" but it was not directed it at you but I have made over 1000 posts and it may have slipped my mind. I sincerely doubt it, because I don't recall responding to you very much. Perhaps two of three times.

In my profile, I used the debate to mean a discussion in which researched reasons may disagree with my point of view, in a form of a post... I certainly didn't mean it in a formal format... In the four plus years I have been posting, I have never challenged anyone to a debate, nor will I, and I don't usually read or post on blogs and that I think are shallow and tedious. I have that choice, a right to my opinion, as anyone else.... It's my opinion that only a vain person cannot take no for an answer and would go to extremes(purchasing a book of his choice) just to play a game(he calls it courage) for the benefit of your 1 or 2 fans.

Since you can't read between the lines, your answer to a debate or even another response is..NO.... Unequivocally no.

Be my guest, take it as a victory, brag to your two fans but just leave me alone.

June 22, 2010 at 12:09 p.m.

• I have to make a correction to a statement I made yesterday.... Andrew Ross Sorkin,a prominent journalist and currently a financial consultant to the New York Times said a person filing a claim for damages because of the oil spill will have to sign a waiver not to sue BP.... It was pointed out this morning that White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said that the claimants would still have a right to sue, and I'm positive I heard that on Meet the Press.... I trust Mr. Sorkin read the document before making his statement, and it makes more sense.

June 22, 2010 at 11:38 a.m.

• Southtexas

As I have stated many times for the last three years, you have options (not viewing is one of them), I don't respect your opinions and most of time I ignore your post, but every six months or so, I feel compelled to remind you of that.

Again for the umpteenth time, who is this "US" you are representing? It certainly can't be this online forum because I have seen many posts directed at you, and they are not complimentary.

You have three blogs online that define your extreme right wing ideology, so I wouldn't go on a lecture tour, advising people to “get a life”, while claiming to be a moderate...A moderate...lol

June 21, 2010 at 11:10 a.m.

• For those who thought I was joking, I was not. The President is privy to more than we are. I would be upset if he just let anyone come into the Gulf. You get that many different ships running out there, it becomes total chaos and who knows who who is? It would be easy for our enemies to slip in under the guise of allies.
    Just because it is certain allies that are offering help, doesn't mean that there is no danger.
    There were other reasons that he rejected the help at first, some of it was because of the type of dispersant being offered and what that dispersant would do to our ecology.. When the offers came in, BP was downplaying the amount of oil coming out, so who thought that BP, American equipment, and American workers, couldn't handle it?
    You can squarely lay this at the feet of BP for not being honest about the extent of the damage.

June 21, 2010 at 11:01 a.m.

• born2bme

The Jones act was rarely mentioned on the Sunday talk shows except that congressman Ed Markey said the Jones Act does not apply but anyway,U.S. ships are being outfitted this week with four pairs of the skimming booms airlifted from the Netherlands and should be deployed within days. Each pair can process 5 million gallons of water a day, removing 20,000 tons of oil and sludge.

Bottom line: We don't know what conversations took place and to what extent between the White House and foreign governments.... You were not off base off with and your National Security concern, because didn't we catch our ally, Israel spying on us? We might have some underwater military training sessions going on in the gulf. I think it just one more thing the right wing is pushing.

June 21, 2010 at 10:45 a.m.

• Holly1

This is where I agree, I do agree that a person can write their own blogs without vilifying someone that states an imposing opinion.. You and I have always engaged in a civil matter; although our differences are numerous.

I did not go all crazy and try to paint the republicans with a broad brush because 114 republican congressmen signed off on a letter making similar charges that representative Joe Barton made. Joe Barton, is the ranking member of that energy committee, so if the republicans were in charge, he would be speaking for them and I doubt BP, would have been asked to testify. I did mention all the other top republicans that made similar statements before Joe Barton apologized... When it came to trying to raise the $75 million liability limit for an oil company, it was the Republican Party that balked..... Now since about 82% are agreeing that making BP pay into an escrow was the right thing to do, the minority leaders in both houses have decided to throw Joe Barton under the bus, that’s politics.

British Petroleum decided to place five billion dollars into an escrow fund, this year, and $5 billion for the next four years. It wasn't extra money; they decided not to pay dividends to their shareholders, this year. The $100 million that is to be paid for those workers that will be unemployed due to the moratorium is a great public relations move. This will eventually help BP, because many who receive a settlement will not sue at a later date, although nothing prevents them from doing so.

As I've been saying for the last two months; only have two options: either the well runs dry or we all we wait to the end of July of the first part of August for the relief well to be completed.

You call it pointing fingers(that is perfectly legitimate) but in the investigation must go on, while the facts are fresh and new policies can be put in place, after we find out what went wrong. i.e. Four out of the five major oil company CEOs said that they would not have done what BP did.... That's a start, what did BP do differently?

As for Rahm Emanuel's quote of “never wasting a crisis"; I guess you think that means that the democrats will try to ram through Cap-and -Trade during the crisis. Well, the numbers are not there, according to Joe Lieberman yesterday, we currently have 50, yea, 30 nay, and 20 undecided. I think a more washed down version might have a chance, i.e. Senator Lugar's plan...Although once again after 8 presidents and 18 congressional bodies,we will continue to kick the can down the road.

I have often said “since we have put a lot of money into this vehicle, let's take advantage of the situation because the dealership is offering a $2000 rebate.” My point, Emanuel's words can be taken in a conspiratorial manner, nonchalantly, or in a way of good strategy; I guess it depends on what side of the fence, you are on.

Thanks again for keeping it civil.

June 21, 2010 at 10:30 a.m.

• all I have to say now is this.

some of you slam mike for posting his viewpoints here for comment. Although I do not agree with him often I will offer support against attacks by others. Anyone willing to reply here should also be willing to post a blog of their own stating a position or opinion on issues of the day not just slam someone for theirs.

I agree never waste a crisis is the rule of the day in the white house I think they are looking for ways to raise taxes and pass cap and trade and other liberal agenda's

June 20, 2010 at 11:41 p.m.

• born2Bme ...Surely you're joking! When has BO ever been concerned about our national security? If he ever had such a concern, he'd do SOMETHING about closing the southern border.

This is all about not wasteing a crisis; about killling the oil exploration industry and about increasing the price of gasoline at the pump so that most people won't be able to afford to drive. It's about creating new taxes and taking your money and making it HIS money to give to people who vote for him -- or will when he makes'em legal.

June 20, 2010 at 7:14 p.m.

• born2Bme, since we are talking about the Dutch and the Brits, I will assume your comment was intended as a joke. If so, it is a pretty good one.

June 20, 2010 at 12:55 p.m.

• Maybe National Security is weighing on the President's mind just a wee bit?
    He cannot let just anyone this close to our shores without some kind of serious thought.

June 20, 2010 at 12:41 p.m.

• Both the Dutch and UK governments, among others, offered ships and crews to assist in the oil cleanup. In order for them to operate in US waters, the president must waive the provisions of the Jones Act, a union-sponsored piece of legislation that requires that ships operating in US waters be US owned and crewed. If you would "...just pick up an unfiltered newspaper once in a while...", you would know that these ships and crews remain in European waters because your beloved Obama has yet to waive the Jones Act requirements, something he is statutorily allowed to do in times of emergency. Either you are profoundly uninformed or you just told a big one. I will let it go at that and not mention my suspicions as to which. The Jones Act roadblock has been widely publicized.

June 20, 2010 at 12:02 p.m.

• @southtexas

It makes you so tired but you managed to muster the energy to childishly patronize and insult the blog author?

Now that's something to feel sick about.

June 20, 2010 at 10:15 a.m.

• Mike you make me so tired. Every day....there you are....passing out the Obama Kool Aid. You deserve the disaster that Obama is bringing down on this country cause you wished for it and supported it. The sad thing is the rest of us don't deserve it. Why don't you direct all the energy you put into this sick blog into doing some good....maybe volunteer at the nursing home or Christ's Kitchen......or better yet....Get a life!!!

June 20, 2010 at 9:24 a.m.

• One republican apologizes and you go crazy. what about Obama apologizing all over the world and handing out money to buy foreign support????? I quit counting after all his ring kissing and butt kissing long ago. Not supporting BP but they did say they would pay for all expenses involved so I say stop the oil first then add up the bill and give it to BP to Pay Then if they drag their feet, take action against them. Bankrupting BP before its allowed to fulfill it's word is foolish and will shift all the cost to the taxpayer. The main thing right now is to stop the oil after that we will have lots of time to point fingers and play the blame game. BP was not the only ones at fault here there was inspections done so someone in govt employ also dropped the ball and is also to blame for this mess.

June 20, 2010 at 1:09 a.m.

• The GOP has become the GOBP.

June 19, 2010 at 1:12 a.m.

• Another example of foot in mouth disease imo. When, not if, the first tropical system comes into the gulf and pushes the oil west, I bet Mr. Joe Barton will change his tune.

Maybe not, since his congressional district is a good distance from the Texas coast.

June 18, 2010 at 5:19 p.m.

• I should have known better,KyleC

June 18, 2010 at 4:04 p.m.

• Sorry KyleC, I didn't catch on to your analogy and I'm well aware that I'm not the only person that watches Jon Stewart... Just wanted to give him the credit for the vids.... I have never downplayed Jon Stewart because in the political arena; he is known for his knowledge of the subjects. Heads of of state, politicians, and intellectuals would not go on his show if he was just a comedian. The young college students would have seen through him years ago.

I still think guests, intellect of a host, prepared material and presentation can be shown and are on any network but sometimes we have to ignore the left/right gibberish....

Sorry KyleC ...I did not see Itisi/Victore post.

June 18, 2010 at 3:49 p.m.

• "Mike, you’re not the only person that watches Jon Stewart, tell the whole story, Jon Stewart is as about as bright as a cucumber in the hot sun"

Regardless of the validity of your statement your analogy still makes him smarter than just about every other vegetable presenting the news today.

There aren't many insightful news programs on television these days but The Daily Show consistently gives a fresh as a cucumber perspective that you will very rarely see on FOX,CNN or MSNBC

June 18, 2010 at 3:31 p.m.

• Come on Mike get off of the Obama train wreck, if the president had some leadership skills other than hiring a bunch of damn attorneys something might get done right with this oil spill. Why this President could not bring in people that had experience within the industry is nothing but stupid. The only way this oil spill will ever get fixed in a timely manner will be when this President stops setting on his common sense and I know that is a hell of a long shot, but just maybe, something might get done right, because he sure as hell hasn’t done anything right thus far.

Mike, you’re not the only person that watches Jon Stewart, tell the whole story, Jon Stewart is as about as bright as a cucumber in the hot sun. You got to be kidding me with this blog. MSNBC has done a dump on Obama for the way he is handling this crisis, along with rest of the liberal media, so I wouldn’t be blowing any smoke signals anytime soon. It is just amazing that you can’t do a paragraph without G. Bush, just how much longer are you left wingers going to blame the man, it’s time for a new CD that one just keeps on sticking over and over and over and over…

June 18, 2010 at 3:24 p.m.