Comments

• Oh make no mistake about it. Bill White is smart and he's worth a LOT of money that he earned by being smart. He did an excellent job for Houston and while I didn't agree with his decision to allow Houston to become a "Sancturary" city, I feel that it was a understandable thing to do at the time. Did he leave Houston in better shape than it was when he took office? Absolutely he did.

What troubles me about Bill White is the unavailable data on his 2nd Amendment stance and how he would see things if he was the governor of the greatest state in the nation.

Rick Perry lost my vote with the trans texas corridor b/s he tried to shove down our throats and I won't vote for him again.

Will I vote for Bill White? Well let's see if he responds to my emails about his 2nd Amendment stance and the rights that it gives us. And his stance on our current problem with illegal immigrants.

Other than that missing piece of information, I have to think that he would do a good job for Texas.

May 9, 2010 at 8:04 p.m.

• Mike.

It has been a hard day for me.

March 11, 2010 at 4:52 a.m.

• Writein

Apology accepted but I didn't feel one was needed because it gave me a chance to explain my reasons for using as a source… I remember fondly (back in the old days, 5 years ago) of the editor telling a poster that I over sourced.i.e. I was sourcing common knowledge…..lol

You having to vent; means you let your opponent win…. Sorry to bore you with these old stories but it has context. Every now and then, the old editor would come on and warn us about feeding the trolls. They crave attention and a victim they feel they can dominate. A deletion is a badge of honor but ignoring them, is like kryptonite, to them. Their goal is to intimidate and dominate the forum with their opinions; when traffic becomes lite, they will soften their stance in order to bait their new victim…. I know you like to engage and you refuse to be intimidated but just think about what I wrote…I didn’t name names but “throw a rock over the fence and hit dog hollers.”

Again, you did not offend me because you never have in the past…Context, history is everything.

March 10, 2010 at 9:45 a.m.

• Mike.

I'm sorry if I offended you. I hope you realize that my comment was't to tear you anyway. I ws just venting out some anger.

March 10, 2010 at 7:54 a.m.

• Writein
    I usually resource my statements, I have quoted Chris Wallace, gave due credit to Bill O’Reilly a couple of times, and even cut & pasted articles from Fox in the five years I have been in this forum…i.e. If I was going to write about the discredited Rep. Eric Massa appearance on Glenn Beck yesterday… It would not have anything to do with Glenn Beck… I was not trying to promote Ed Schultz….The The next time I answer your post, I will remember to leave out my source…BTW That same chart, story, of states going to a 4-day week was shown on many unnamed TV outlets and in several unnamed newspapers but my brain remembered the last place where I heard that story… When I first started posting, the forum police used to be the editor, he would not let us cut & paste a whole article, but if we did cut & paste a paragraph, he would insist we gave credit to the source…If we made a questionable statement, he would insist on a source…It’s a habit I have gotten accustom to.

I forgot naming personalities was like waving a red flag in front of a bull; to you.

Reread the post...(1)Source(2)storty(3)my opinion.

Have a good one.

March 10, 2010 at 7:43 a.m.

• Mike.

You mentioned MSNBC's ED SHow. I am sorry, but I view Ed as the same way I viewed Glenn Beck. It is very unfavorable.

March 10, 2010 at 6:56 a.m.

• I wouldn't mind that but it would still be state /federal issue but that could be worked out.

When I was in Florida,I saw how efficient it was to have 18-wheelers restricted to,I believe ,the left -hand lane,it is small fixes like that that would save money and lives...We will always make time for the liberal/conservative shoot-out but it should not hinder progress.

March 9, 2010 at 10:21 a.m.

• The TTC sounds like a good idea, especially if done by private investors. We need to expand our railways anyway, it's by far the most efficient way to ship freight. Trucks are currently destroying the interstate highways faster than they can be repaired.

"The Trans-Texas Corridor (TTC) is a transportation network in the planning and early construction stages in the state of Texas. The network, as originally envisioned, would be composed of a 4,000-mile (6,400 km) network of supercorridors up to 1,200 feet (370 m) wide to carry parallel links of tollways, rails, and utility lines.

It is intended to route long-distance traffic around population centers, and to provide stable corridors for future infrastructure improvements – such as new power lines from wind farms in West Texas to the cities in the east – without the otherwise often lengthy administrative and legal procedures required to build on privately owned land.

The tollway portion would be divided into two separate elements: truck lanes and lanes for passenger vehicles. Similarly, the rail lines in the corridor would be divided among freight, commuter, and high-speed rail.

The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) intends to "charge public and private concerns for utility, commodity or data transmission" within the corridor,[2] in essence making a toll road for services such as water, electricity, natural gas, petroleum, fiber optic lines, and other telecommunications services.

The network will be funded by private investors and built and expanded as demand warrants."

March 9, 2010 at 10:10 a.m.

• Writein

Yesterday on MSNBC’s Ed Show, I saw where several states have gone to a four-day school week to cut costs in their budget; Hawaii being the latest…. I think it's a colossal mistake because our world competitors are not and I hope our Texas legislators will not even consider that.

I remember (long long ago) our corporate CEO telling us that a successful company should never cut its R&D budget; even in trying times… The children in our primary and secondary schools are our R&D (future) we must not short change them.

March 9, 2010 at 10:07 a.m.

• Hello Arlewill

I can’t really disagree, Governor Perry the Lt. Gov., and the divided legislators have done a decent job. I commend Governor Perry for his leadership during hurricane Rita and Ike… I read about an $11 billion shortfall in this morning's Advocate.

I thought it was an embarrassment when over 100,000 homes around the city of Houston went without power for three weeks because of downed power lines. I remember FEMA offering to split the cost of burying the power lines to avoid this problem in the future. It was cheaper for Texas to keep its outdated power lines, so that's what our governor chose.

I was really in the minority because I supported Governor Perry’s Trans-Texas corridor idea. I like the idea of centralized utilities, making trucks carrying hazardous material bypass our major cities, widening the highways and raising the speed limits with the use of more toll roads. This issue will come up in the future because our traffic will demand it, at tomorrow’s prices. Was it too big of a land grab? Possibly but the same people hollering eminent domain were the ones didn't care how much land the federal government seized to erect a fence. A foreign company working with H. B. Zachary to build and maintain it was an issue but I really don't care whose name is on the toll booth when I throw in my $1.00…. I really don't mind paying the extra $2.50 when I use Beltway 8 to visit relatives in Texas City or when I am going to George Bush Intercontinental Airport. I don't want one in Edna, El Campo, and Wharton on my way to Houston but I wouldn't mind bypassing Cuero, Gonzalez, San Marcos or Lockhart on my way to Austin.

March 9, 2010 at 9:36 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

March 9, 2010 at 9:33 a.m.

• Exresident & Matt I would really appreciate if you take your cabal and post elsewhere..I don't want to be writing blogs just to foster the childish putdowns... Matt's reputation precedes him.... I don't mind a difference of opinion, I get them all the time but I don't want to be part or a target for your cabal... I will continue to ignore you, I wish you would do the same.... My avatar is not hard to miss and I usually stay out of the comments section.

I don't want any part of what I saw this week-end

You have a good one.

March 9, 2010 at 9:05 a.m.

• Mike
    I made my voting decision for November, following the primary. Gov. Perry was not my choice because of his unwaivering support for the Trans Texas Corridor. I think he has done a good job on fiscal responsibility. Texas is one of few states without a scary debt problem. I will vote for Rick Perry in November.

March 9, 2010 at 7:05 a.m.

• Mike

I am glad you brought this up that Texas and other conservative states having low graduation rates etc. Does this familiar, Geanine Morrison’s Victoria. Observer refuse to knowledge that point. Why is that?

However, Rick Perry has to go, I guess I will have to vote for Bill White.

March 9, 2010 at 6:02 a.m.

• Well rollingstone, sometimes looks are deceiving.

Mr. White, IMO, is a moderate, if Houston did not have term limits I would willing to bet he would have been re-elected for Mayor again.

His successor as mayor, Annise Parker, even with being a "alternative lifestyle" individual had strong support even from conservative voters.

Why? Because she was the best person for the job, a stellar job as Houstons comptroller, fiscally conservative, the voters in Houston did not care if she had a D or a R after her name or what her personal beliefs are.

March 8, 2010 at 6:37 p.m.

• Mr. White is a liberal, he believes in government solutions to housing, healthcare, you name it.

This what Milton Friedman said in an interview awhile back about the inefficiency of federal programs that interfere in the market's allocation of services and products:

"There are four ways in which you can spend money. You can spend your own money on yourself. When you do that, why then you really watch out what you're doing, and you try to get the most for your money.

Then you can spend your own money on somebody else. For example, I buy a birthday present for someone. Well, then I'm not so careful about the content of the present, but I'm very careful about the cost.

Then, I can spend somebody else's money on myself. And if I spend somebody else's money on myself, then I'm sure going to have a good lunch!

Finally, I can spend somebody else's money on somebody else. And if I spend somebody else's money on somebody else, I'm not concerned about how much it is, and I'm not concerned about what I get. And that's government. And that's close to 50% of our national income."

We can not afford liberal Democrats, we can hardly afford Republicans.

March 8, 2010 at 6:09 p.m.

• Bill White seems ok to me, other than at first he was against expanding Houstons light rail system, then he was for it, a majority supported it, so he changed his mind.

The scandal involving the HPD crime lab, some crime lab employees themselves, in conjunction with some LE people pulled that gaff, the Mayor only knew what was reported to him.

Other than White refusing to order the HPD to do a job the federal government is suppose to do, (immigration), and since he corrected his views on gun ownership, I don't see a problem.

March 8, 2010 at 6:02 p.m.

• I usually quote a reliable source (subjective)so I don't have to say "I have seen no data that argue that Texas has a significantly greater percentage of the LEGALLY RESIDENT population that is uninsured than the national average...

I beg to differ.

September 8, 2009

As the debate over health care reform intensifies this month, Texas is the state that appears to have the most to gain or lose, depending on how things turn out. Researchers at Baylor University says the Lone Star state has the highest rate of working-age people who do not have health insurance.

The researchers say they relied on an analysis of newly released U.S. Census Bureau data to reach that conclusion.

Nearly 31 percent of those ages 18 to 64 are uninsured, compared with the national average of 20.2 percent for that age group, according to senior research analysts Debbie McMahon and Wes Hinze of Baylor's Center for Community Research and Development in Waco.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04...

I know Consumer Affairs is probably a George Soros sponsored outfit..lol...Data similar to the one I posted has been out over a year...That's what happens when you rely on filtered material...You start taking rumors and chain emails for fact because they were reported by Fox.

March 8, 2010 at 5:35 p.m.

• I was referring to this article but maybe things have changed since 2007..I think not but I may be wrong.

When Texas lawmakers agreed to open the state's power markets to competition back in 1999, one promise was on the tip of many tongues — lower prices.

"Competition in the electric industry will benefit Texans by reducing monthly rates and offering consumers more choices about the power they use," then-Gov.
    George W. Bush said at the time.

Then-state Sen. David Sibley, who was a key author of the bill, put the promise more bluntly:

''If all consumers don't benefit from this, we will have wasted our time and failed our constituency," he said.

Eight years later, many consumers are calling deregulation just that — a failed waste of time.

From 2000 to June of this year, the average electric rate in Texas rose 56 percent, more than in all but three states, according to the most recent nationwide federal government figures.

March 8, 2010 at 5:02 p.m.

• Observer
    All that "hate radio" propaganda will not work i.e.2006 & 2008 national elections where Dems took advantage of those not wanting to be part of that nativist movement.

I am not going to do your homework for you but did you forget deregulation?

Think about it...The Dems & GOP are set.the extremes are set..Will the Independents vote on social issues? I think not..That group votes on ideas & money issues.They despise all the mindless bickering...That's why I hope Bill White does a rope-a-dope and just stays on message..The Independents will see that...In the best case scenario ,he will make Rick Perry settled for a civil campaign; on the issues.

March 8, 2010 at 4:30 p.m.

• Bill White is a man of substance and Houston is better off because of him. But Perry has an (R) following his name. And like GWB, Texas Republicans believe the (R) make him a better man.

Also, unlike The Governor of Texas, The Mayor of Houston has no authority over the border. And we all know all that Perry has accomplished there.

I am curious as to what makes White a “typical big government, big spending, left wing, liberal who will make Texas more like California” and who’s “success is based on creative accounting that will soon collapse, with Houston joining the likes of Detroit and Los Angeles.”

March 8, 2010 at 4:20 p.m.

• Utility rates are climbing? The lowest available price in Dallas-Fort Worth is 8.2 cents a kilowatt-hour; in 2001, the regulated rate was 9.7 cents. In Houston, the lowest available price is 8.8 cents a kilowatt-hour; in 2001 the regulated rate in the Houston area was 10.4 cents. Are you paying less for gasoline, bread and milk than you were in 2001?

Since the number of uninsured includes illegal aliens and your beloved Obama continues to assure us that his Socialized Medicine scheme will NOT cover them, what, exactly, is your point? I have seen no data that argue that Texas has a significantly greater percentage of the LEGALLY RESIDENT population that is uninsured than the national average which, by the way, is 3.1%, NOT the 5% continually touted by the champions of Socialized Medicine.

March 8, 2010 at 4:17 p.m.

• BTW…. There are still many of us do did not expect President Obama to turn a around a failing economy he inherited; in one year. I hope Bill White says he will work with the Obama administration when it is in the interest of Texas, defends his position of not taking the "Farmers Branch” route and there are many of us that do not equate the word “liberal” with the bubonic plague. It's a state of mind not a religion….. Bill White should run on his accomplishments, philosophy, morals, and let the cards fall where they may…I don’t think he is under any illusion that he will get the right wing conservative vote. As I said Governor Perry has that group.

I have one tiny vote but I will not vote for him if he does a Mitt Romney.

As I have said many times saying" I am a conservative" does not give you instant credibility;that's a myth..Vice versa..It all comes down to a human being with a different point of view.

March 8, 2010 at 4:04 p.m.

• Texas can only hope to be like conservative states like Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee and West Virginia..lol....I don't pretend to know anything about Texas politics but I do know Texas has been a one party state for the last 10 years were graduation rates are falling, insurance and utility rates are climbing and we have the most uninsured people in the nation. Did I mention we are 38Th in education?.... I am well aware the states are required to have a balanced budget(I'm not that stupid) but I never mentioned that lowering your property tax did not leave any money for education or infrastructure repair.... I'm sure Rick Perry will try to get down and dirty; that's what right-wing conservative do... It's their modus operandi..Texas is doing quite well but I see where unemployment is starting to rise;I might be wrong but I think the voters will more interested in that subject than the "politics of personal destruction."

Education,energy, & jobs..

March 8, 2010 at 3:38 p.m.

• So we let White off on the anti-gun bit. He still remains a strong proponent of sanctuary cities (and illegal immigrants), a liberal elitist and a comrade of Obama's. As to his "success as a three term mayor of the nation's fourth-largest city", said success is based on creative accounting that will soon collapse, with Houston joining the likes of Detroit and Los Angeles, teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. If you are operating under the delusion that the Perry campaign is not aware of this and will not make it an issue, you are in for a very rude awakening. White is a typical liberal -- spend now and worry about paying for it later. Later is almost here and, unlike your beloved Obama, Houston cannot print money to cover the shortfall.

March 8, 2010 at 3:16 p.m.

• Then,vote for Governor Perry..Case closed.

March 8, 2010 at 1:40 p.m.

• Mr. White sounds like the typical big government, big spending, left wing, liberal who will make Texas more like California - just what we need.

March 8, 2010 at 1:37 p.m.