Comments

• This comment was removed by the user.

March 11, 2010 at 3:16 p.m.

• Rollingstone

You have quite an imagination because you are a one trick pony…. What's the difference between a poster that starts out writing about, let’s say “flowers “but they always end by talking about abortion? The only thing that was local in your post was the third word in your sentence (locally).:-)

I will try and simplify it for you, this blog is about candidates being acquaintances, friends, church members and whatnot, and the reason some don't use party affiliation as a deciding factor.
    Look at the responses; you're the only one talking about taxes and unions…BSspotter answered my question about what I thought was Mary Wyatt’s remark..He expanded it a little bit.

BTW I have already stated I don't know a thing about local politics and I don't have enough savvy to micromanage elected officials.I leave that to others....

March 11, 2010 at 2:07 p.m.

• BSspotter
    Neo-conservatism is still alive (but barely) people like Bill Kristol and the Liz Cheney are doing their level best to get us involved in another war and extend the ones we're in, using the politics of fear.

That's the one thing I support Kay Bailey Hutchison and President George W. Bush for; they put aside ideology for the good of this nation, in voting for and signing the legislation that kept this country from going into a deep depression. President Bush knew the adverse effect the bill would have for his party but it was the right thing to do. Most economists agreed that the bailout of Wall Street was necessary but the last chapter has not been written.{I don't want to rehash bailout etc.}

The stimulus package was always intended to be two-year project... President Obama knows they will not get another nickel for stimulus through this Congress.

Kay Bailey Hutchison is just one vote; Mitch McConnell is the Republican that has the power for the minority party. KBH voted ,NO, on Health Care Reform & the stimulus package.

March 11, 2010 at 1:48 p.m.

• Since we don't have any local auto makers to nationalize, why not nationalize the local elections? Yuck yuck.

Mike said: "I think she [Wyatt] went a little too far when she said that "a Democrat backed Congress could release funds just ahead of November and perhaps stimulate grassroots support and sway votes.” Am I missing something here? Other than another conspiracy theory, was there a basis for that statement?"

Could she have been referring to more stimulus money? There's no telling what a neo-con really means anymore since they talk out of both sides of their mouths and nearly every other orifice. Although, she could be talking about pulling a W and getting some bank bailouts passed before the election. With KBH still in the Senate, anything is possible.

March 11, 2010 at 1:03 p.m.

• What happens locally has a bearing on what happens nationally. I just got done reading about California's financial woes. Much of it has to do with the healthcare and retirement benefits that state employees get. They get 3% of their lasts years salary times the number of years of service.

The unions guarantee that they will never get fired. Some employees retire with over 100% of their last year's salary. Who gets that?? Sure it's nice to get, that and other perks, but is it sustainable? Is it good for the state and the country.

So I will ask again what benefits do the county employees get here? Are they fair or just over the top - the taxpayers have a right to know.

March 11, 2010 at 12:06 p.m.

• Outstanding post Johnny

Lol… I ran into old friend of mine who was running on the Republican ticket, so I immediately started teasing him, until he confessed he didn’t believe all that stuff but the local campaign was backing him with signs, lists, and other support… In fact there is a Democrat running that supports Republican candidates and ideals… I think they call it "political expediency.”

On a national front, that small space between the two sides, is called a war zone.

March 11, 2010 at 11:56 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

March 11, 2010 at 11:43 a.m.

• Rollingstone
    What I am hearing is that if we don't get financial reform passed, we will have another recession that will do us in, because Wall Street is using the same schemes.

I answered your statement, but you always to move the subject to gloom and doom instead of what this blog was intended for….” not nationalizing local elections.”

March 11, 2010 at 11:41 a.m.

• I do not pay much attention to party affiliation at the local level. For example, I know people who have ran as Democrats because that party had an open slot. But, if you know the person, you would find his/her political outlook is more in line with the RNC positions, and vice-versa.

The difference between small town local politics and the national/state scene, is you actually can know what the people really stand for. Once out of that local arena, it really because fundamentally impossible to truly "vote for the man, not the party" because you really never know the man, just what he says while stumping for votes. That in itself adds an element of skepticism.

Therefore, I just vote for whomever is the hottest in tight jeans. Not really, but it does make it hard for an average Joe voter to know real and fundamental issue positions. To do so, in addition to having to know the candidates past legislative history in relative detail, you need an ability to measure how his/her past actions mesh up with both your personal values and the values of the party he/she represents, and you would need somewhat of a crystal ball to determine how he/she will behave when under the pressure of the lobbyists and power brokers which are multiplied by exponential factors at state and national levels as compared to the local scene.

March 11, 2010 at 11:34 a.m.

• Don't be so paranoid,I have become immune to your pessimistic view..It's all you have.

March 11, 2010 at 11:32 a.m.

• Rollingstone,
    I keep hearing (on a national level) conservatives knocking public employees… Since when did policeman, teachers, nurses, county and city employees become the enemy? Why aren’t they entitled to benefits? They pay taxes; they have families and serve the community. So do union workers.

Is saving $1.25 on your property worth not paying our public employees a decent wage and benefit package..I guess "lucrative" is subjective, but we all know city and county employees and I seriously doubt they will verify your claim...

March 11, 2010 at 11:30 a.m.

• I get it and I believe it. The public debt is rising twice as fast as the GDP in Obama's own budget budget. This is not good. I think even you are a little uneasy with this. There are pundits out there, that I believe, saying Bernanke will not be able to control what's coming.

Go ahead and delete I can take it.

March 11, 2010 at 11:28 a.m.

• Rollingstone, I was just stating my views (I guess I am entitled)… I would vote for some of the candidates whether they were Republican Independent or Democrat, not that it matters. (In our local elections) … Again, not that it matters, but to me, it comes down to a level of trust. There's more to it than a voters forums, were candidates give canned answers. Most of the local candidates come with a record and unless I see a glaring headline like “local official indicted for fraud” I will usually give the incumbent another chance…

• Living up to the ups and downs of the political party is something some of us get used to because when it comes down to it, we are all human beings, with the same character flaws; we accuse others of…. I am a proud Democrat but I'm not proud of the stances some Democrats are taking in Washington. Like their counterparts, some are corrupt; I cannot condone that, but I would rather fix the party within because I could never agree with the Republican platform. Just my opinion, but an Independent is just a fence straddler, who benefits by pretending to be above the fray.
    • As I said before, the Republican can get the ditches cleaned just as well as a Democrat and a (D) or an (R) by your name will not put the bad guys away; it's the individual’s knowledge of the law, competence, and professionalism he insists from those who serve him/her.
    • I happen to like collective bargaining...It is a contract between workers and entities...That’s American but this blog is not about unions, taxes, and debt unless you are obsessed with it….Try the comment section.:-)
    • I get it, American has been going down in flames (although this morning’s economic news don’t indicate that) since January 20,2009…Things were peachy before President Obama, Andy Stern, and the Socialist Democrats, came into power. It has become an endless loop….I get it, I don’t believe it, but I get your point.

March 11, 2010 at 11:10 a.m.

• Speaking of the nickels and dimes the county spends; I've heard that 80 percent of the county budget goes for personnel expenses. I understand that county employees get very generous healthcare and retirement benefits that the public knows little about.

Most of these benefits come through union collective bargaining with county officials who have no real skin in the game since it's not their money. This is a local, state and national problem - that is leading us down a dismal path.

March 11, 2010 at 10:29 a.m.

• Thanks Riverboat, for pointing that out.
    I stand corrected and apologies to Mary Ann Wyatt for misspelling her last name and misquoting her.

March 11, 2010 at 9:58 a.m.