Comments

• The unemployment rate in Victoria is 8.3%. In Austin it is 8.2%. No, the stampede for Austin hasn't quite started yet.

When all those companies up there or anywhere discover how much Obamacare - I mean Nancy's "gift" to the American people - is going to cost they aren't going to be hiring as much, sorry about that.

But on the bright side you will get free healthcare if you qualify - in three years. But until then most people will see their premiums go up just a teensy bit say about 20%. So it's not all doom and gloom as some might try to tell you.

March 26, 2010 at 6:26 p.m.

• Your sense is correct but this forum has to have a counterweight or else it would tip over with all the nodding heads of approval. I think everyone has a bias whether its nuclear energy, conservatism, liberalism, libertarianism, Christian, non-Christians, political party affiliation, social and fiscal issues, or the disciples of Ron Paul. I have yet to meet that down the middle Independent (not to be confused with the wishy-washy person that goes as the wind blows) person that can see the pros and cons of each issue. Again, my bias is well known and I don't see any change coming in the near future but that doesn't mean that I will lie or not apologize for my mistakes; or I won't give credit where credit is due.

I like reading success stories, because I don’t wake up each morning eating lemons and chasing it down with pickle juice ,then try to make every post read like a Glenn Beck monologue of gloom & doom. The article about Austin showed a city using its natural resources like the Hill Country, university, the stability of being the state’s capital, an intelligent workforce that can adapt, a willingness to adapt, and that entrepreneur spirit. They are unique in having a built-in advantage.

March 26, 2010 at 1:39 p.m.

• Usually, I try to stay neutral on many things you discuss; because I sense a lot of partisanship in your writings, but this is an exception. A very big one I must add, because I have been discussing this for sometime on Yahoo political chat rooms, to the dismay of Texas bashers.

Prior to my factitious identity change recently, I went on yahoo as big john. What is and has been occurring economically in Austin, is neither partisan or a liberal conservative occurrence. Instead, it’s simple old fashion economic, social, and technical common sense.

We fail to see it today because of it’s form and integration, into as of yet, incomplete intellectual market. For the most part, people see things in their past connection and established context. In Austin, people understand the interrelations of elements within markets and purse them with vigor, rather than happenstance. This is in no way due to any elected official, but rather traditional Texas values. Once upon a time Texans did not complain, abate their responsibilities, or reside their fate to chance. Texans embraced adversity with these words, “Here I am, let’s get to work”.

When I was poor and young, I use to go “dumpster diving”; or build something out of anything I found to make money. I even researched the laws of a little town in Texas, that went by the name “Universal City”; and sold can coke in front of a business to as many of the 200,000 people that were stuck in traffic entering Randolph Air Force base to attend the air show.

I got off my arse and did something, using my mind, creativity, and force of will; that is how you make things happen. That is how they are doing it in Austin, and that is the Texas way.

March 26, 2010 at 12:15 p.m.

• woofwoof

I am unable to validate the poll but in the context that it was given; I believe the respondents came to the right conclusion.

The title of the blog should have told you that the contents of this blog was not going to be about Victoria Texas, property taxes, sales taxes, or home insurance but I don't think it was going to slow a bit you down; in voicing your complaints…;-)

March 26, 2010 at 11:18 a.m.

• BSspotter

I didn't take that view from the question (no surprise)…. I thought it was more like "in your experience as a businessman; what would more likely make you go out and hire?) It was not a question about fiscal policy….but hypotheticals and opinions vary.

March 26, 2010 at 11:05 a.m.

• Johnny
    Valid point but I believe demand is the best answer for that question. i.e. Our congressmen think that they have to intervene with tax cuts, tax incentives, or some sort of government program but the real answer is demand. Adding one or two more salespersons to the staff without consumers is not the answer.

This article showed where the job market is headed, steps Austin took to meet it head on, and how community & state participation can be used as a positive rather than a negative.

Wouldn’t tariffs on Chinese goods hurt the consumer and Wal-Mart?

March 26, 2010 at 10:59 a.m.

• For a business owner to respond to the question "what would spur you to increase hiring?" with "more demand", is sort of like someone asking me "what could you do to make your bills less burdensome" and I answer "more money". Well, duh! That is pretty much a given and its pretty obvious that the question implies "in the current business environment". Those types of survey answers need to be thrown out as they are only flippant pie in the sky answers and do not provide any means to the ends. If the business owner were to say "increase demand by placing tariffs on Chinese goods", that would be a valid answer.

March 26, 2010 at 9:42 a.m.

• Mike, it's silly to think anyone would "go out and hire" solely based on a tax cut. What's NOT silly, however, is that lowering taxes might allow a company to become another company's customer if it improved their margins, thus giving cause for the company to hire. Of course, increased demand drives growth, but what artificially stifles demand in commerce?

March 25, 2010 at 9:38 p.m.

• The Amex poll of three companies is probably not representative due to the low number of data points.
    Besides, this has nothing to do with Victoria which has the highest property taxes in the nation per capita average income, near highest sales taxes in the nation, highest homeowners insurance premiums in the nation, and a high school that is rated unacceptable.
    Welcome to Victoria.

Peace and Love

March 25, 2010 at 8:08 p.m.

• But hey Mike, now all of us, including the despised conservatives and liberals too, can get our broke hearts healed cheaper now!

March 25, 2010 at 6:36 p.m.

• No problem Mike, I was just joshing with you. Austin does have the right idea, I agree with that.

March 25, 2010 at 6:04 p.m.

• Austin is an oasis in a cultural desert.

March 25, 2010 at 5:54 p.m.

• I guess it's a bad thing if Austin,Texas leads the way to economic recovery;to some...

March 25, 2010 at 5:50 p.m.

• I didn't take or participate in the survey.

I know tax cuts are the Holy Grail to conservatives;sorry,didn't mean to do anything to break to break your heart.:-)

March 25, 2010 at 5:47 p.m.

• Omg tax cuts!!!! 11%? right behind customer demand?

We can't have tax cuts! Tax cuts are a trickle down failed economic policy! We can't have that at all!

Sorry Mike, I couldn't resist.

March 25, 2010 at 5:43 p.m.

• The blog is not about taxes or California but to the doomsayers it doesn’t make a difference in their fear mongering world….

March 25, 2010 at 5:42 p.m.

• I have a friend who started up a business in California - yeah I know - anyway he figured his taxes for last year.

Federal Tax - 25%, State Tax - 10%, Self Employment - 15%. The total 50%, he was almost in tears. I told him to quit blubbering and take it like a man, because it's going to get worse.

Keep writing those roses and lollipops Mike they always give me a chuckle.

March 25, 2010 at 5:35 p.m.