Comments

• Thank you Lord for providing us Mike and his unconscionable ego to educate us on every aspect of government functioning. Karma.....Mike.....I believe in Karma and be so so careful you are slowly getting what you wish for.

May 9, 2010 at 12:35 a.m.

• Well pilot, I guess, since it is election day, conservatives beat on the ballot box instead of their chests.

Either that, or they are all busy making OX bows or watching soccer.

May 8, 2010 at 6:19 p.m.

• Waywardwind

We will never agree whether or not a lot of people have complaints about Supreme Court decisions but I was talking about a process. Elections matter, I keep saying we have three separate but equal branches of government. We don’t have a single minded country where everyone thinks like you do; or me for that matter. I know Supreme Court decisions have been reversed but that is what I was trying to say; our wants and needs may not have legal standing and we have a process; utilize it.

I suppose you are stuck with the opinion that only conservatives make good judges; I disagree I think we should have a balanced court because this country is in the middle; not right, not left, but smack dab in the middle. It’s the pro business conservative court that just ruled that corporations are just like individuals; so they should not be limited to what they can contribute to political campaigns. Whose side do you think they would favor BP, or those they will be devastated by the oil spill? Remember it was Justice Scalia that said Dick Cheney did not have to turn over the list or the minutes of his secret energy task force meeting. Scalia was the judge that went hunting with Cheney; yet refuse to recuse himself.

Name one president who put the interest of the United States first and did not have a political agenda? Interest is subjective. I think all presidents want to be reelected; they need money, a political party, and a loyal constituency.

I gather you meant the “we” to mean people that think like yourself..My vote in 2012 will go for President Obama and he will win; considering the Republican Party will run people like Mitt Romney and Sarah Palin.

I see where we are out of a ression and 3.2% growth,290,000 jobs added last month coming back from the worst ression in years and to boot killing more al Qaeda leaders than ever...A long way to go but nothing to be ashamed of...The 9.9% unemplyment is due to people finally looking for work again.....Yea,I can see where Obama will be reelected.

May 8, 2010 at 12:37 p.m.

• Mike, there are a lot of people who have complaints about the SCOTUS for a great many reasons. The school thing is only one. If the court had not provided illegals with so many "rights" perhaps they would not be so eager to come. Remember, even Supreme Court decisions have been reversed -- not often, but it can be done with the right justices. Not that I think it'll happen anytime soon, especially with the people BO is liable to appoint. This is one reason we need to vote him out in the next election and elect a president who will finally put the interests of the United States FIRST.

May 8, 2010 at 11:47 a.m.

• Writein

Wo v. Hopkins is just one case; another is Wong Wing v US; that states all persons within the territories of the United States are guaranteed rights under the fifth and sixth amendments. The other day I explained to waywardwind that the 1982 Payler v Doe case ruled against Texas, who wanted to deny illegal aliens entry in public schools. Now, those who enter this country illegally do not have all the rights granted citizens such as, the right to vote or possess a gun and but they have the equal protection of the 14th amendment. The people wanting this or that should be aware that their argument is with the United States supreme court.

Good luck with anyone understanding; on this issue everyone has their opinion and they are sticking with it. There is no compromise. That’s exactly why it's useless for Congress to take up this issue..IMO

I don't know of anyone that thinks that the Obama administration is trying to kill or enslave them but they are those who will oppose President Obama every step of the way; on ideological grounds. That's to be expected.

The left is mighty disappointed in the Obama Administration because for the most part they are following the previous administration's controversial policies on fighting terrorism. This administration is allowing the Pentagon to bar four reporters from covering the military commissions at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, because they refused to forget something that had already been reported to the world.

The four reporters were covering military commission hearings at which defense attorneys for Canadian detainee Omar Khadr argued that confessions he made as a gravely wounded 15-year-old shouldn't be admissible in his upcoming trial because they were made under duress. I never thought I would see this president not support freedom of the press.

May 8, 2010 at 10:34 a.m.

• Mike.

First of all, I am glad you bought up the Wo v. Hopkins case. I hope the Local conservatives on this forum will understand my reasoning behind opposing the Arizona Law.

Since the Obama Administration gave orders to kill a terrorist who want to kill Americans, how come people in this area still believe the Administration is trying kill and enslave them?

May 7, 2010 at 6:27 p.m.

• justataxpayer
    In April of this year an exception was made by the Obama Administration giving the American military and undercover agents explicit authorization to kill US-born Muslim cleric Awalaki without due process and without much compliant. Even though President Ford signed legislation making political assassinations illegal an exception was left for those declared enemies of the United States…… The point, we have the tools necessary without adding any more.

Everyone inside the borders of United States is entitled to constitutional rights; this was decided by the Supreme Court a long time ago, and every challenge has been lost. I don’t want people in this country abused or possibly killed by civilians just because they are here illegally. Due process and equal protection will not harm us a bit.

Yick Wo v. Hopkins (1886)

In Yick Wo v. Hopkins, a case involving the rights of Chinese immigrants, the Court ruled that the 14th Amendment's statement, "Nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws," applied to all persons "without regard to any differences of race, of color, or of nationality," and to "an alien, who has entered the country, and has become subject in all respects to its jurisdiction, and a part of its population, although alleged to be illegally here."

In my post to rey rey , I was referring to a military operation not a domestic one…The example I gave about the police officers is a different story. . .. If I am summoned to jury duty and the case is about police brutality; I’m expected to look at the evidence, facts and law even thou I am aware there is a fine line.

May 7, 2010 at 6:11 p.m.

• justataxpayer ,

What you posted should be true. Except you forgot another group of Americans.

Americans held in other countries, do not have any of the rights outlined in the US constitution, they only have rights outlined in the country of their detainment s constitution, if said country, or group, even has one.

May 7, 2010 at 6:07 p.m.

• Waywardwind

That flight could've been easily turned around but we have a good working relationship with Dubai and Pakistan.... It was Pakistan who rounded up all those people on Shahzad's speed dial... We have agents on the ground in those countries.

May 7, 2010 at 11:53 a.m.

• Mike..."The FBI did lose him for a while but he would've been arrested in Dubai."

I would like to think so, but I believe you're dreaming.

May 7, 2010 at 11:47 a.m.

• reyrey
    You said "We cannot pick which citizens gets rights and which ones do not" well I do know all Americans get their constitutional rights of due process; in theory.

I am not that naive, torture has been committed by all countries in time of war but not openly. We are one of the 200 countries that signed onto the Geneva Convention; either abide by it or get out.

On the local front, I think we're all aware of what might happen between the police and the people they deal with, in the wee hours of the morning but we're not too concerned with i,t as long as we're kept safe. Now, that policeman is brought up on charges and we are selected to be on the jury; the judge and a jury should rule on the facts and the law. Personally, I believe what is done in the field, should stay in a field but if the Supreme Court rules that habeas Corpus should apply to those detainees at Guantanamo; then it must be enforced or suffer the consequences. We do have three branches of government.

May 7, 2010 at 10:30 a.m.

• Pilot
    In my evaluation(through my rose colored glasses) I saw where it started with a diligent street vendor who noticed the suv and that police officer who turned it into higher authorities. He did leave a trail such as the vin, Craig's list where he bought the vehicle, and all his contacts in Pakistan on his speed dial. I think the captor was delayed due to the airline's watch list not updating fast enough. The FBI did lose him for a while but he would've been arrested in Dubai. Interrogation is another aspect. I think everything needs to be considered such as the physical evidence and most importantly, a confession. Considering that area of Connecticut and New York combined; I think they did a bang up job but that is just my opinion.

The New York police department did evacuate Times Square in an orderly manner. This is quite an accomplishment on a week end.

It's still early ,we may find out that law enforcement in this case did a "heck of ajob" or the opposite.

May 7, 2010 at 9:53 a.m.

• 53 hours and 20 minutes, they still complain:

Fascinating way to look at terrorism from a liberal stand point.

Within 24 hours the liberal media was so sadden by the fact that it was not a Tea Party member that had committed this crime of terrorism. From their stand point they were hoping it was a Tea Partier, they just couldn’t believe it was some Islamic radical nut hell bent on killing Americans in Time Square. How pathetic and disgusting the liberal media has become, I really just don’t know how these idiots sleep at night, they’re so afraid of the truth.

They have painted this Pakistani national who is a naturalized citizen of the U.S. as a person that was going through hard times, because he lost his home and moved from job to job, his family has split up because of the hard times. Sounds like so many other Americans. But this moron made 13 trips to Pakistan contacting no telling who or how involved he was with other terrorist nuts, which the FBI has not been able to verify all of his information, because it takes time to conduct those types of investigations. So this radical idiot builds a bomb and tried to set it off, and thank God it didn’t go off as planed.
    This poor young man a Islamic terrorist, hope the sucker gets the death penalty, sooner the better, lets not waste anymore tax dollars than necessary on this terrorist.

May 7, 2010 at 8 a.m.

• Where are all of the local conservatives on this? Why aren't they chest beating on this?

May 7, 2010 at 3:18 a.m.

• I will give you the point on Shazad being a U.S. citizen and hence getting all the rights. We can not pick which citizens get what rights or which ones do not. As far as enhance interrogation, in the field these people are open game. Information is time sensitive and I will tell you this, if we dont get what we need because some "stupid" rule, all we do is just transfer the interrogation to a friendly government. Once again, in the field, I rather see them dead than to hear tap again. I guess that Orwell said it best.."People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf", some people might look at it with disgust but ultimately they can not argue with the results. Sadly, this is only the start of a long list of lone wolf attacks coming our way. Many will be stop but some will not. We have to be vigilant of our rights in the U.S. but in the field, those suckers dont get any right as far as I am concerned.

May 6, 2010 at 7:42 p.m.