Comments

• WWW.

I have a long memory. Plus my memory isn't selective.

May 17, 2010 at 5:27 p.m.

• Writein, again thank you for your comments, my pet rock and I will lose a lot of sleep over all of those wonderful comments you so generously make, I truly enjoy your kind words of hope and wisdom. Keep up the fine work!!!

May 16, 2010 at 3:22 p.m.

• Dang, J -- er, I mean Writein...Are you STILL going on about some idiot in the NBA? It's been more than TWO YEARS. I don't even remember his name or which team he played for. Do you? Or do you simpy remember that I made a comment about a fool and you're still using it as a reason to "hate" me?

May 16, 2010 at 9:21 a.m.

• Waywardwind.

You have no room to say anything. You blast a NBA player about his feelings about America and wanting him fired. However you blast anyone who happens to be of the Islamic Faith.

Victore.

Save your thanks. You simply don’t like what I say and it bothers you.

May 16, 2010 at 2:05 a.m.

• Victore...Congratulations. You have achieved the ultimate status! You are now a personal enemy of Writein/J. Don't dispare -- you are in good company.

May 14, 2010 at 10:08 a.m.

• Writein, thank you for the comment. I now know where you stand…

May 14, 2010 at 9:41 a.m.

• Mike.

I have to admit you are right. I do not want to debate Hannity and Beck, I want them to hear the angry they refuse to hear….IN PERSON!!!!!!!!

As far as debating goes. I want to debate on why there’s a high drop out rate, HB3015, water districts, and Crime.

May 14, 2010 at 6:47 a.m.

• Victore.

I bet you are telling yourself after typing that you told BIGJ off. No, Victore, You had NOT told anyone off, but chest beating to the wind. You are trying to start something what you can't finish. You think I going to join your cause after you insult me? Oh no, this dog won't hunt. Especially, when you sent me a THREATEN EMAIL A FEW WEEKS AGO.

Your problem is that I hate Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity and that I told the TRUTH about them. YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THE TRUTH. I see those two as PERSONAL ENEMIES. Since you butt in and trash talk me, I see you as one as well.

Lets talk about patriotism for a moment. I DO NOT HAVE TO SHOW YOU ANYTHING. I guess patriotism for you is that I should shut up because my world view isn’t like yours or that of the MAJORITY. Contrary to what you believe. I do not wake up in the morning and think about race, the white man, and oppression. NO it is not all about race, it is the MIGHT IS RIGHT mentality, YOU VICTORE HAVE. THAT IS THE ISSUE. I am not some two dimensional character you dreamt up. Since you assume I am UNAMERICAN, then you VICTORE, need TO KNOW ABOUT me before opening your trap. But then again you did say in your email that you don’t care to know about me. If you do not know about me, then SHUT UP!!!!!!! Maybe you should talk to my uncles, cousins, and friends who fought Koreans, Iraqis and now Islamic Terrorist. Maybe you should know that I know how fold and respeat the AMERICAN FLAG. Therefore keep your, “BIGJ is unpatriotic” mess to yourself.

I am aware of the WWI memorial and ACLU and have been for awhile, but I am more aware of the 4th amendment, education, water rights being trash HERE IN TEXAS and even in the CROSSROADS AREA . Something you REFUSE to bring up.

If I am full of myself, then how come you spent your time trash talking me? Maybe because you do not like me or what I say. Maybe, just maybe, you got the “hint” and you are scare of that possibility.

Maybe I will not get a chance to “debate” Hannity and Beck, since you are defending them……..what about you?

May 14, 2010 at 5:32 a.m.

• Well RS, I see you totally glossed over the "deceitful" part. I guess I got something right.

May 13, 2010 at 11:19 p.m.

• Sage,did I improperly use quotation marks? OMG what am I going to do? I'll have to carry this hideous burden the rest of my life, the shame, the humiliation - why....uh, I'll never....OK, I'm over it now.

Sweden does not have a socialist economy - close but no cigar. Their taxes are around 47% of GDP, but their corporate tax rate is 50% lower than ours. They have also eliminated the inheritance tax making it more attractive for business. In addition they have reformed their social security system similar to what that "idiot" Bush proposed.

But having said this they lag behind in innovation and new industries. In addition their work force is about 4.5 million, while ours is about 120 million. Most of their economy is located in and around one city, Stockholm. They are also blessed with a legislature that is fiscally responsible and at least tries to live within their means - like most sane people try to do.

May 13, 2010 at 10:48 p.m.

• Those videos about Glenn Beck were so awesome! Thanks for the ab workout!

May 13, 2010 at 8:20 p.m.

• Ha! I LOVED the conversation about the hosts! Amen! They can all be DBs sometimes.

May 13, 2010 at 8:08 p.m.

• Rollinstone:
    1) You should never change someone's words and put them in quotation marks - that is deceitful, intentionally or unintentionally.

2) What about Sweden?
    From
    "Sweden's position as one of the world's most highly developed post-industrial societies looks fundamentally secure.

Unemployment is low and the economy strong. Public-private partnership is at the core of "the Swedish model", which was developed by the Social Democrats, who governed for most of the last 70 years until 2006."

"This mixed economy traditionally featured centralised wage negotiations and a heavily tax-subsidised social security network. The Swedes still enjoy an advanced welfare system, and their standard of living and life expectancy are almost second to none."

May 13, 2010 at 7:54 p.m.

• Hey writein, why don’t you and Mike, figure away to file a lawsuit against the ACLU for violating the 1st amendment rights of the WWI memorial that was vandalized in the Mojave desert, sense they we’re the precursor to the act of vandalism.

I know it does not fall with the scope of racism or how well the Democratic Party is doing. But just maybe you and he could show a little patriotism to the fact that a WWI memorial was destroyed after along stand for more than 70 years. After all I think Mike would be a little concerned over that issue, and you are so damn conceded, you have no clue as to what patriotism is, it’s all about racism to you. Just a small clue to you and Mike, if it was not for those veterans before and after you would have your mouth taped shut by some foreign element and not have the freedom of speech that you currently have…

I have already file my concern with ACLU…

May 13, 2010 at 6:52 p.m.

• Lol, yeah Mike, I still wonder about the Carvilles private time.

At bedtime does he tell his wife, "Ohhh you conservative, I'll show you", and does she say" Bring it on liberal boy, let's see what you have." lol

Delete away....

May 13, 2010 at 6:18 p.m.

• Though to be fair Jon Stewart does have it easy, with all the insane punditry put there he's spoiled for choice...

May 13, 2010 at 6:05 p.m.

• Legion357
    That's why they call him" the raging Cajun."

May 13, 2010 at 6:04 p.m.

• Jon Stewart and Keith Olbermann's are friends; in fact Jon Stewart did a parody on Keith throwing a fit on his show. The next night Keith came out and apologized to his audience and said Jon Stewart was right.

Some of my favorite Jon Stewart put downs were were(1) Mad Money Kramer(2) Bernie Goldberg(3)Glenn Beck(4)Bill O'reilly(5)Fox News

Mess with Jon Stewart at your peril.

Good night

May 13, 2010 at 6:03 p.m.

• Hey Writein,
    I would love for you to debate Glenn Beck & Sean Hannity, they would eat you like shark blood chum. You could start with racism; they would tear you apart like a wet piece of paper… I think you have already made a local challenge before and felled to deliver on that challenge with BS. So you’re full of it…

May 13, 2010 at 6 p.m.

• These days when James Carville puts in a appearance on Good Morning America, he will not pause and talks over people. George Stephanopoulos tries as hard as he can and he can't even shut Carville up when he is on a roll. lol

Now that is entrainment!!

May 13, 2010 at 5:58 p.m.

• @RS

Couldn't agree more, Jon Stewart is the king when it comes to talking down ANY pundit, he recently did a good send up of Glenn Beck also:

May 13, 2010 at 5:50 p.m.

• Like some have said all of those people are for entertainment purposes. Even Skeletor, err, James Carville, these days, he puts in a snarling dog attack appearance now and then but that's about it.

Bigj, if somehow, a debate would happen, between you and any Fox commentator, it might be entertaining but I don't think you would like how it turned out. No offense intended.

May 13, 2010 at 5:47 p.m.

• Here's a debate , sort of, between Olbermann and Stewart - he makes Olbermann look like a jackass, ....uh, well he is a jackass, no real surprise there.

May 13, 2010 at 5:45 p.m.

• Writein

In my opinion, I don't think you're talking about a debate; you just want an opportunity to give them a piece of your mind.

To me, a debate is where you make your best case; your opponent makes his; and a judge or a group of judges declares the winner based on presentation, decorum, and facts.

May 13, 2010 at 5:41 p.m.

• I always enjoyed watching Chris Hitchens on Hannity (& Colmes) talking about the death of Rev. Falwell:

Not that I agree with any of them but it's always a winner when you have on a guest who plays by the same rules as the host

May 13, 2010 at 5:41 p.m.

• Lol... I remember Admiral Stockdale" where am I; and what am I doing here?".. it all went downhill from there.

First of all; there wouldn't be a debate because it's all about ratings; a local blogger would not be an attraction.. Second, those two stay on message(Beck & Hannity), not real debaters where there are winners and losers..... I watched James Carville and Sean Hannity debate; they never answered any questions they just went on with their talking points, so it ended up being the battle of the loudest.

May 13, 2010 at 5:33 p.m.

• Holeinone.

Losing isn't everything. To you, losing is when someone is beaten by them. I see it as a win because I would have a chance to cuss out and tell off Beck and Hannity for their past comments. Hannity’s friendship with New Jersey Neo-Nazi Leader Hal Turner and Beck’s comments about Blacks.

I am not taking a page out of John Kerry’s and the Al Gore’s of the World. I am taking a page out of Andrew Jackson, Harry S Truman playbook. You think those two bigots are going to punk me.

Let me also add..........just because you and Chest Beat Nation don't like me or my ways doesn't make the judge and jury.

May 13, 2010 at 5:31 p.m.

• Writein, I hate to say it, but you would lose. Not just a, "man they barely beat me, I was this close" beating, but a "oh my God, sheild my eyes, please ref stop the fight, beat you like you stole my best dog" beating. Like Adm. Stockdale got beat in his debate. Don't get me wrong, I have huge amounts of respect Stockdale, but he was way out of his league. I've read your stuff on Vicad and I've got to tell you, you sir are no Stockdale. I mean in that in the nicest way possible. ;)

May 13, 2010 at 5:17 p.m.

• I want to debate Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity in Person. I hate these two.......well Vicad is a family friendly site, I should not say.

May 13, 2010 at 5:08 p.m.

• The pundits are for entertainment purposes only.... I will admit I like Keith Olbermann's segment " The worst person of world." It helps me keep up with the most outrageous things said on a particular day. I watch Ed Schultz, for the people he deems worthy of the " psycho talk" feature. Then there is those that actually worked in the White House like Chris Matthews and Lawrence O'Donnell, who at times give me some insight on what actually happens in Washington. I even get some insight from Pat Buchanan because even if his age, he has a remarkable memory. Then there is Rachel Maddow , an intelligent pundit , who tends to break down a subject to where, even I can understand...... That's pretty much my take on the cast of MSNBC but I usually wait a couple of days for news because by then the rumors, misinformation, the lies will be filtered out.

A good example of Fox,CNN,MSNBC and the net work news not giving us the full story is the recent Times Square bombing..... The first days news were sketchy because the authorities didn't know much... It was two and three days down the road that the administration said that they were positive Faisal Shahzad was connected to the Taliban in Pakistan. General Petraeus said the terrorist was a lone wolf. We now have a general who is the commander of United States Central Command saying he is a lone wolf and the administration saying he has ties with the Taliban in Pakistan. NBC's foreign correspondent, Richard Engel broke it down this way last night. He said Faisal Shahzad is probably a lone wolf who sought out the six different groups of Taliban all in one one specific area, for help. The administration wants to use this Taliban connection to keep pressure on Pakistan but we can see there wasn't an aerial bombardment of that location. General Petraeus saw to that. Bottom line, even when we think we know; we might not.

May 13, 2010 at 2:02 p.m.

• I've found that the BBC news on PBS is pretty good.

I don't even watch pundits anymore. Hanniaty, I forgot to mention what a maggot I think that guy is.

They're all carnival barkers.

May 13, 2010 at 1:18 p.m.

• @ code
    I like your last post. Olbermann is smarmy, Maher is condescending, O'Reilly is smug and always thinks he's right, and I'm so sick of the little voices Glenn Beck and his gang make it makes me want to puke. The thing is, if we want TV news, we have to choose which side is gonna give it to us- the left mainstream outlets or the uber-conservative FOX. Thank God for the internet!

May 13, 2010 at 12:40 p.m.

• Mike, I couldn't agree more. The middle class can no longer shoulder the burden. Now if only the elected officals would actually do something, instead of talking about helping the middle class only to help the rich and the poor, in reality.

Good call on affirmative action. The country has come a long way in 50+ years.

May 13, 2010 at 12:23 p.m.

• @holein

I'll contribute to the love in!

I'm liberal in almost all areas but I'll agree with you about Olberman, mighty snarky and condescending indeed and I often want to sla p Chris Matthews for talking over people.

I think overall though, I don't watch any of the pundits on TV unless I specifically need someone to reinforce my own particular viewpoint - it's like a dose of Valium. It's a sad state of affairs really. There's no intellectual benefit from watching ANY of the pundits but we still do it when our conscience needs appeasing or when we need some reassurance that we must be right, that my viewpoint is the correct one.

"Sometimes I tune into Glenn Beck just to feel something" is going to be my new bumper sticker

My name is code and it's been 12 weeks since my last pundit

May 13, 2010 at 12:22 p.m.

• Holein1

I have always been a partisan democrat but if we need a solution; I can instantly become Mike the " let's make a deal" democat. We're at that point.

I've been saying for years that we need to start phasing back " affirmative action" as we did welfare reform. It's been around for about 50 years; that's long enough for leveling the playing field. It's time for democrats to stop demonizing the school voucher programs and get down to the nitty gritty of the pros and cons. I still believe in a safety net but the middle class has been squeezed by the rich and poor and they are up to their eyeballs in debt; their future doesn't look so promising..... If I remember correctly an; that's why Rome failed; the the middle class couldn't and wouldn't shoulder the burden any more.

May 13, 2010 at 12:13 p.m.

• I'm pretty conservative, Libertarian in most cases. Having said that, I can honestly say that Glenn Beck is a DB that needs to go back to the bottle. No wonder he converted to Mormonism, take a look at their extremist past. WOW.
    Sarah Palin, please don't even get me started. I'm ashamed that conservative pundits are actually giving credence to a possible race for Pres. What a joke! O'Reilly, whatever. How does a guy that did A Current Affair become the self proclaimed "most trusted man on t.v." Nice jowels old man.

The jokers on MSNBC aren't any better. Oberman, I liked him better when he did Sports Center. He's become a snarky little man with a condescending tone.

The "news" today has become a circus. Which network has the biggest clowns.

May 13, 2010 at 12:07 p.m.

• Mike, nice to see you calling out both sides of the aisle.

I see the equalizer argument, but how will this evolve in the future?

Take-over’s are quick, some are gradual.

May 13, 2010 at 11:47 a.m.

• With all the references to Hitler yesterday; I thought last night's Lewis Black's parody on Glenn Beck's obsession with Nazism was hilarious.

enjoy

May 13, 2010 at 10:47 a.m.

• Holein1

That big business vs. government fight has been going on for a long time; the conservatives would quickly go to blame welfare and the liberals will blame defense spending. Today we can narrow it down to three major expenditures that have to be trimmed or reformed. They are defense spending, Social Security and Medicare.... We currently have a bipartisan commission working on a solution with the report due in December of this year.

You like to call it totally dependent on government but as others can see it as government being an equalizer..... Civil rights, equal pay for equal work, and minimum wage. Conservatives like to think the free market would do all the right things on their own..... That has yet to be proven.

The purpose of this blog is to show that voters are part of a problem. It's been shown that voters like all the goodies but they don't want to pay for them. We will see if the voters support someone that will tell them directly that we need to start means testing, raise the cap on the Social Security payroll tax, and raise that 1.45% workers pay into Medicare. This nation almost went into depression and the voters are throwing out those who voted for the bailout.

I have never been that gullible to think that a politician always has my best interests at heart because the legislation they vote for will tell me where they're coming from.i.e. Despite that BP disaster; John Kerry and Joe Lieberman's energy bill has a provision for offshore drilling with subsidies; just to entice some republican support. Subsidies; really!

It's all about the government coffers; conservatives, moderates, liberals, democrats, republicans, big business and constituents all feed at the same trough.

May 13, 2010 at 9:40 a.m.

• How is that even a comparison? The government covers many things. My daughter is working for the government right now at a airforce base. This machine, that we call America, is huge. It takes a lot of people to run it. It cannot be compared to WalMart.

May 12, 2010 at 10:58 p.m.

• @legion "So is government big enough yet?

Federal government 2M in the NATION, Wal-Mart 1.8M WORLDWIDE"

Let's look at the difference's between local, state and Federal employment, take a look at the data here :

You'll notice, albeit the data only goes to 2006, that the growth in government is at the local and state level, not the Federal level consistently since 1946:

Local Government employees 1946: 2,762,000
    Local Government employees 2006: 11,885,000

State Government employees 1946: 804,000
    State Government employees 2006: 5,128,000

Federal Government employees 1946: 2,434,000
    Federal Government employees 2006: 2,721,000

I can't imagine, since I couldnt find the data, that the final years of Bush and the last year of Obama have changed the Fed level that much.

So it seems the trend is 50 years of growth at the local and state level.

May 12, 2010 at 10:30 p.m.

• With about 2.0 million civilian employees, the Federal Government, excluding the Postal Service, is the Nation's largest employer.
    # About 85 percent of Federal employees work outside the Washington, DC metropolitan area.

According to the Almanac of American Employers 2008, the largest publicly-held employer is Wal-Mart with about 1.8 million employees worldwide.

So is government big enough yet?

Federal government 2M in the NATION, Wal-Mart 1.8M WORLDWIDE.

May 12, 2010 at 7:46 p.m.

• The top 1% make 23% of the nation's income. In 1980 they made 8.5% of the income. In Clinton's administration it went from 14 to 21 percent of the nation's income.

The bottom 50% made 18% of the income in 1980, now they make 12%. During Clinton's administration it went from 15% to 13%.

During all these years we have had high school drop rates at 40% and in places much higher. In addition we have had a flood of uneducated poorly skilled immigrants.

So is the answer to this problem higher taxes and more regulations and mandates on businesses? I don't care about rich people, the only problem is they are the ones with the money and you know it's funny they are the ones making the tax laws.

In addition we have seen high energy prices, taxes and regulations drive high paying manufacturing jobs off shore. How can we become more competitive? By stacking more crap on corporations and businesses? Only a radical left wing socialist would think that, right Mike?

May 12, 2010 at 7:34 p.m.

• As far as 47% not paying ANY income tax,I guess I didn't read enough to completeiny understand. If a person pays all year but winds up OVERpaying and gets a refund,are they included in this 47 %? Ifso,count me as one of them.

May 12, 2010 at 6:50 p.m.

• The best way to systematically gain 100% control over a person, or group of people, is to make them completely dependent, or make them believe they are completely dependent, on you.

Some think that our two parties are both working together to achieve this.

One party says they want to shrink government, the other says growing it is the answer. The truth is, both have grown the government and all the while the rest of us have suffered and become more dependent on the government.

Take the Welfare system for example. We all know why it's so hard to get families out of the system. The system makes it too easy to stay. How does a temporary fix become a multi-generational paycheck? Both sides know the issues, both bring it up at election time, and yet neither side has never really done anything to correct the problems. Why is that?

The left argue that the right is fighting to take away civil liberties through the patriot act, but the right argues the left is doing it by forcing us to buy health insurance.

Let’s be honest, both parties are chock full of millionaires and people hugely removed from the trials and tribulations of the common man. Do you really think, deep down inside, that they care about the plight of the average American? There may be a few that go to Washington with an idealistic dream of changing this and that, but they either tow the line or they lose the party support needed to get re-elected. Re-election is the true motivation. I can't say I blame them. If I had the high paid cushy job, I would be trying to stay as long as possible too.

@b2bm, I'm not correcting you, but I think the real numbers are staggering. . Roughly 2% of the population control 98% of the wealth. It was actually smaller at one time, pre IRS. The redistribution of wealth is working how?

May 12, 2010 at 6:26 p.m.

• RS

To "fundamentally transform" something means to change it in a meaningful way at its very core.

France was "fundamentally transformed" when it was liberated, by the Allied Forces, from Gremany's control in WWII. This was a good thing.

Savings and Loans were "fundamentally transformed" by Neil Bush and others when they were deregulated, leading to an S & L collapse. This was a bad thing.

The fact that something is "fundamentally transformed" does not automatically mean it is a change for the worse or that it can blindly be compared to other "fundamental transformations." You have to look at each instance in context and in history.

I know you want to believe that President Obama is out to destroy America but there simply is no factual proof to support your theory.

P.S.-If you're worried right now because a white man is not in charge, hold on to your socks. The demographics of America are changing so drastically that it may be a long time before a WHITE MAN is elected President again.

May 12, 2010 at 5:42 p.m.

• Those conservatives believed the the words of Michelle Bachman when she said "Obama wants reeducation camps for young people." Sortly after that, her son joined AmeriCorps.

You know how some movies have ratings to keep young people from seeing them..... Some radio talk shows should have gullible ratings.

May 12, 2010 at 5:16 p.m.

• far_out

Yep, people can all get an education and training for jobs that don't exist. Remember what the unemployment rate is right now? Is there a reason that so many are out of work? Well, what would that be? Maybe not enough jobs to go around? Not enough income to those who have jobs to support increased business for others?

Minimum wage, and part-time at that, does not equate to $50,000 by my math. Where did you go to school? You got cheated.

I pay plenty of taxes. Just because I think one way does not mean that I pay no taxes. And, the reason that so many do not pay taxes is because of all of the loopholes, and tax breaks, that should not be.

I was reading highpoints of the Great Depression and things are eerily similar.

May 12, 2010 at 5:14 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

May 12, 2010 at 5:11 p.m.

• Don't you just love one sided hypotheticals?

Roughly 47% do not pay any income tax but as was revealed in the Usa Today, taxes are at a 60 year low, yet we have protesters saying that their taxes are too high.

Yes we have a large percentage of people that are out of work right now but it's not because they're not trying; companies are not hiring.

May 12, 2010 at 5:03 p.m.

• @RS: "Code, explain why Obama wants a "civil defense force as strong and as well funded as our military."

Well read it for yourself, here's his speech and an excerpt:

"We will enlist our veterans to find jobs and support for other vets, and to be there for our military families. And we're going to grow our Foreign Service, open consulates that have been shuttered and double the size of the Peace Corps by 2011 to renew our diplomacy. We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set.

We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded. We need to use technology to connect people to service. We'll expand USA Freedom Corps to create online networks where American can browse opportunities to volunteer. You'll be able to search by category, time commitment and skill sets. You'll be able to rate service opportunities, build service networks, and create your own service pages to track your hours and activities."

Unfortunately, once again, many conservative websites and blogs conveniently neglect to put his comment in the context of Americorp and the Peacecorp and being a useful citizen - ideas many conservatives have agreed with when submitted by people of their own political party

May 12, 2010 at 5:02 p.m.

• Rollingstone
    As they used to say back in my day...." What's on the flip side?"

You keep repeating your Beckism; ad nauseam.... I'm well acquainted with your views.... You can be afraid, very afraid if you want to but I just don't believe you or your views...It Should be obvious by now.

May 12, 2010 at 4:56 p.m.

• OK, b2bm, what happens when you $1 cheeseburger ends up costing $6 in order to pay some high school dropout loser $50K.

What you are ignoring is the fact that ANYONE in America can seek an education and or trade and make a decent living. The problem is we have a large portion of the population who just want to have stuff given to them because its too hard, or too inconvenient, or gets in the way of the party.

Roughly 50% of the population PAY ZERO FEDERAL INCOME TAX. Where do you fit in?

May 12, 2010 at 4:52 p.m.

• PatB
    That would be the disappointment of the century.

May 12, 2010 at 4:46 p.m.

• So, that explains what he meant by a "fundamental transformation." Didn't he hire a bunch of radical left wing socialists to be part of his administration? I think he did. And while you're at it Code, explain why Obama wants a "civil defense force as strong and as well funded as our military."

Oh, I know words don't matter, shucks let's just sit back and see what he does - yeah forget the words watch the deeds.

And B2BM, socialism and big government will not improve our economy it will make it worse. Unemployment will be worse along with your current standard of living - that is true only if you are not politically connected. If you don't believe me look at Europe, then do some extrapolation - it's not going to be a fun ride.

Socialism has just one serious drawback, it doesn't work, never has and never will.

May 12, 2010 at 4:40 p.m.

• I'm terrified that Ms. Kagen isn't liberal enough and might...vote with Scalia and Thomas! Gasp!

May 12, 2010 at 4:39 p.m.

• rollingstone,

You can change it anyway you want. The truth is obvious for anyone with half a brain to see. As the rich got all the tax breaks under Reagan and Bush, moved the jobs overseas to increase their profits, took their base of operation offshore to hide from the IRS, America crashed. The middle class all but disappeared as they were forced out of decent-paying jobs and into the various aid programs.
    You can blame it on the aid programs but in reality, the cost of the aid programs increased BECAUSE of the favoritism toward big business in the last few Republican presidencies.
    You cannot have a strong America when the working men and women have very little other than slave-labor jobs. You have a few too many cheifs and not enough Indians. It's all out of balance.
    It's not a natural thing for money to work for a person over a person working for the money.

May 12, 2010 at 3:27 p.m.

• Thanks code,that explains a lot, in that context and off an actual script... I remember all that enthusiasm and him promising to restore faith in government and America. Coming back from lunch, I heard Rush using the same tactic to distort everything the president was saying today. Usually the comedians use this tactic but now some talk show host are using it. It's not that hard to do; it's quite evident some believe them.

RS, Just hears and sees what suits him because I never said everything was gonna be great...An uptick and a long way to go is just being cautiously optimistic but it doesn't suit him. I guess to him; if it's not a daily gloom and doom; then you are left winger.... Oh, I am a left winger but I'm cautiously optimistic.

May 12, 2010 at 3:17 p.m.

• B2BM, thanks for posting this:

"For those of you who place your trust in big government, and bureaucratic instutitions, you are a fool. They don't care a bit about you and once they get...er, take your money they will have you where they want you. They will always win and you will always lose.

I don't want an America like that. "

May 12, 2010 at 3:09 p.m.

• @Mike

Finding this was a tough one since Googling "Fundamentally transforming America" results in dozens of Anti-Obama pieces - 95% of which simply quote that one line.

I found the entire speech given 5 days before the election at a rally in Columbia, Missouri. Here's a little more context:

"OBAMA: Now, Mizzou, I just have two words for you tonight: five days.

OBAMA: Five days.

After decades of broken politics in Washington, and eight years of failed policies from George W. Bush, and 21 months of a campaign that's taken us from the rocky coast of Maine to the sunshine of California, we are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.

OBAMA: In five days, you can turn the page on policies that put greed and irresponsibility on Wall Street before the hard work and sacrifice of folks on Main Street.

In five days, you can choose policies that invest in our middle class, and create new jobs, and grow this economy, so that everyone has a chance to succeed, not just the CEO, but the secretary and janitor, not just...

(CHEERING AND APPLAUSE)

OBAMA: ... the factory owner, but the men and women on the factory floor"

Contrast this to Glenn Beck's piece:

"Anyone who voted for President Obama should be asking themselves: Did I misunderstand the president because I believed in change or did he misunderstand me?

We should have seen this coming from before his first day in office:

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

OBAMA: In five days we are going to fundamentally transform America.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

One reason why you want to have an interview with the president, is you want to get a sense of the man. I don't feel America has really gotten that. People still don't really know who he is — he was JFK, then he was FDR, then he was Abraham Lincoln. While the media was so eagerly putting images of others for us to compare him to, I wondered if it was because they were uncomfortable with who he was.

His dad was a radical, his mom from Kansas. Sweet as I'm sure she was, she went to school in one of the most radical schools in America. His dad left him to go to a radical school in New York. And when he finally moved to Hawaii, he met Frank Marshall Davis — an old-line, '60s radical communist from Chicago. That was his mentor.

Did you have a favorite teacher that was a mentor? What lessons do you still carry around from them today? What part of Frank Marshall Davis does Barack Obama still carry with him? When Obama left Frank, he went to college, but it continued — listen to what he says:"

May 12, 2010 at 3:03 p.m.

• Oh gee, thanks Mike, you are so gracious. I am truly humbled that you allowed me to speak...er type on your blog. Thanks again, a nap sounds great, besides I'm weary from reading your endless left wing blather about how great everything is going to be - it just runs counter to every day common sense it's exhausting, that's all.

May 12, 2010 at 3:02 p.m.

• Fundamentally transform America!! In my mind it's getting back to the fundamentals of what made America strong in the first place. You cannot have a strong America where the top 10% of the people control 90% of everything (don't quote me on these numbers, but it is close enough). This Country is going back to slavery and if someone doesn't understand that and try to reverse things, I hate to see what is going to happen.
    President Obama understands this, which is why so many people placed their hopes in him.
    For those of you who place your trust in big business, wall street, and the financial instutitions, you are a fool. They don't care a bit about you and once they entice you to put your money where they want you to, it's ripe for the picking. They will always win and you will always lose.
    I don't want an America like that.

May 12, 2010 at 2:57 p.m.

• Rollingstone
    You can go take a nap now; you got all your talking points in.:-)

You probably need to change the CD because you keep using the same old song and dance.

I'm used to Tranformation; I remember us attacking a country that they had nothing to do with 9/11, Katrina, incompetence etc... .I certainly do not fear the unions and most importantly I see an uptick in the economy, we have just about dismantled Al qaida but we have a long way to go.....

All is not lost; I now know where you are coming from.

May 12, 2010 at 2:53 p.m.

• Fundamentally transform America, is a weird statement. It's a lot different than I want to raise taxes on the rich, or I want to reform healthcare, or I want to promote green energy.

What it means is wealth redistribution - that's what Obama said to Joe the Plumber. It means stronger union control in corporations and small businesses - hence Andy Stern as BFF. It means bailing out the unions at GM and Chrysler. Healthcare reform is also the first step to a complete government takeover of this industry and an important step towards a European style economy - how's that working out?

Then there's Cap and Trade and attempts to gain more control of the internet, and more control of our financial systems - not just to regulate but to actually put that system under political control.

And oh yeah, the VAT tax, that's a real winner. You know I'm beginning to see it, this fundamental transformation thingy. Yeah, all you have to do is open your stinking eyes.

May 12, 2010 at 2:42 p.m.

• Rollingstone

Never mind, I forgot that 00:01:42 YouTube clip where Obama said those words.... To anyone else it was campaign rhetoric to others it was fodder for a conspiracy moment. President Obama like all presidents before him was promising to go on a road that would cure all ills much like when President Clinton said " Follow me across the bridge to the 21st century." Talk about making a mime out of a molehill.

I wish I had a nickel for every time a politician said he was going to bring transparency and ethics back the government. Is this your first rodeo?

May 12, 2010 at 2:41 p.m.

• Rollingstone

That's OK you read the WorldNetDaily and consider it a reliable source; listen to Glenn Beck and quote him; at least now I know where you're coming from. Conspiracy theorist take the smallest things,words, or events and use it to feed their paranoia.

I must have said it at least 10 times; our progressive tax system is redistribution of wealth... There are times we target tax cuts to the rich; redistributing the tax revenues. There are times we eliminate 47% of taxpayers in redistributing our wealth.

Spreading the wealth could mean the widening gap between rich and middle class. It doesn't have to have a Glenn Beck or some sort of evil definition.

People have different hangups.

Wealth distribution was not even on the radar for democrats; it was the war in Iraq, Health Care, alternative energy according to the polls.

I quote for emphasis “The term "fundamentally transform America" is an expression Obama introduced to the voters”…….. Other than that one conversation with Joe the plumber; where did you get your information from; is there a source? I watched all the debates and several stump speeches; I don’t remember any of that.

May 12, 2010 at 2:26 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

May 12, 2010 at 2:17 p.m.

• Wow!! And like you don’t get your daily dose of leftwing propaganda from MSNBC, Chris idiot Matthews, Keith Nut case, along with the rest of those hate mongers. The whole ding Democratic Party is becoming nothing more than a bad joke, and the Republicans will get their cage rattled as well. I think your Blog missed the point on conservative; actually it was like reading a comic strip from Mad magazine…

May 12, 2010 at 2:15 p.m.

• The term "fundamentally transform America" is an expression Obama introduced to the voters - I didn't nor did Beck or anyone else. I was just pointing out that it was the same term used to describe what the Nazis did, that's all. What does "fundamentally transform" mean?

You all voted for Obama what does it mean? Does it mean socialism, income redistribution, government control of the economy, what does it mean? I don't have to listen or read about it I can see what he is doing and it is a concern - what is being transformed or changed will be lost forever.

May 12, 2010 at 1:58 p.m.

• I think the Wall Street Journal opened the door by displaying a picture of her playing softball; just to get the ball rolling... Prior to the Rupert Murdoch era, I don't think this fine paper would've taken that road.

May 12, 2010 at 1:39 p.m.

• I should have added with spurious comedy that if the American Family Association had their way 75% of elected Republicans would be out of a job.

;-)

May 12, 2010 at 1:38 p.m.

• Going back to Kagan - here come the "for the family" nut jobs!

"We cannot afford to have another sexually abnormal individual in a position of important civic responsibility"

May 12, 2010 at 1:35 p.m.

• I left out the funny part.

The Fundamental Tranformation of America

"'Im going to give you a hard concept to get your arms around: It's the concept that there are people in this country who want to intentionally collapse our economic system.

How could it be that any American would or would want to do such a thing? Well, those involved sleep just fine at night because they tell themselves that they're not collapsing, they're transforming — transforming — America into something better.

Glenn Beck

**tears** more tears*

May 12, 2010 at 1:26 p.m.

• It's easy to see where they come from because they get a daily dose of propaganda from the golden microphone of Rush Limbaugh & a blackboard lesson from Glenn Beck.

HardBall's Chris Matthews has had a weeklong plea for republicans to come on and denounce the harsh rhetoric of Rush Limbaugh. Just one taker so far, former in New York governor George Pataki.

MATTHEWS: You've said that Rush Limbaugh is wrong. That Barack Obama is not a Nazi, right? He's not a Nazi?

GEORGE PATAKI: He is not a Nazi. Yes.

MATTHEWS: And this administration was duly elected, it's not a regime.

PATAKI: Correct

I have a newsflash for them; WWII is over, we won; the current enemy is a Taliban of Pakistan.

May 12, 2010 at 1:03 p.m.

• @RS

You're making an ENORMOUS leap if you are trying to equate the US government to the dictatorship of the Third Reich. You might see embryonic similarity in a phrase or two especially the term "social" or "fundamental" but you know as well as I do those words can mean many things to many people across the spectrum and in this case (Obama speaking of) of "fundamentally transforming" are worlds apart.

Under Hitler, the Reich did the following to Poland:
    1. Killed or were responsible for the deaths of 5 million Polish citizens
    2. Shut down universities, museums, schools, libraries and arrested scientists, professors, teachers and priests
    3. Effectively put a halt to any organized religion
    4. Promoted the Germanization of the country by grouping ethnic minorities, physically relocating them or destroying them completely - a suspected 50,000 children were effectively kidnapped and sent to Germany because of their Aryan looks

And that's just for starters - now show me how that compares to President Obama?

I feel some people are too caught up in the fear of an enormous ideological calamity that is unfolding that will forever destroy America "as we know it". I don't buy into that fear and would rather be productive at the ballot box (you think Obama will do away with elections?) than spend my time encouraging paranoid disillusions.

May 12, 2010 at 12:16 p.m.

• Ditto head !!!

May 12, 2010 at 12:05 p.m.

• Again,official spokesman for ???

May 12, 2010 at 12:04 p.m.

• OK, just the people politically connected and people too dumb to know better will be laughing - is that better?

May 12, 2010 at 12:02 p.m.

• No one???.......There you go again ,official spokesman for ?????

May 12, 2010 at noon

• Save it in Word ,then you can cut & paste it, when pesident Obama nominates a replacement for Justice Ginsberg in a few years.

By then it may be too late - no one will be laughing.

May 12, 2010 at 11:58 a.m.

• Same verse,same song & dance....Ditto heads & Beckies rule...lol

McCarthyism lives...lol

May 12, 2010 at 11:55 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

May 12, 2010 at 11:53 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

May 12, 2010 at 11:46 a.m.

• Kagan thinks Obama is a rock star and I guess that makes her an Obama groupie. But you are right she is not a conservative, nor is she a progressive, she is a socialist just like Obama.

She will do all she can on the SC to strengthen unions both public and private and to advance Obama's socialist agenda. What Obama is doing is gaining absolute control of all three branches of our government to complete the "fundamental transformation" of American.

That term has a sinister ring to it. The term was used in a book I'm reading about the Third Reich "fundamentally transforming" Poland and the conquered territories - when I read that I almost dropped the book what a coincidence.

May 12, 2010 at 11:44 a.m.

• Yes,this Tea party decision might backfire for the GOP.... Governor Crist will get a lot of votes from democrats and moderate republicans.

Florida will be key in the 2012 election, perhaps the reason the GOP decided to have their convention in Tampa……

May 12, 2010 at 11:08 a.m.

• Crist is ahead in the polls, somewhat a vindication of his decision:

May 12, 2010 at 10:59 a.m.