Comments

• BS Spoter.

The failure of Conservatives is that they refuse to look at things case by case.

May 25, 2010 at 11:57 p.m.

• BSspotter

I'm not an advocate for welfare over work but I'd rather take a case by case approach; than just paint with a broad paintbrush.

Throughout the years I have heard similar stories(and we all have) but we also have seen a president of the United States and a Supreme Court justice come from welfare families. It's a good bet that every single blogger will agree with your point of view. I have been fortunate enough to be employed for my whole adulthood but people are being laid off or unable to find work through no fault of their own..... Again, I agree there is abuse at all levels of government; not just the lowest common denominator.

May 25, 2010 at 1:58 p.m.

• Mike,

I've seen first-hand how the system is abused and how prevalent the abuse is. My mom was able to be on welfare for years and years because she had young daughter. She went on welfare and moved into govt housing after losing her job as a purchaser/bookkeeper at a hardware store, presumably a skill set that can land a job after a while. She started out as a recreational drinker and ended up a full-blown alcoholic. The cash funds that were available via debit from her Lone Star card allowed her to purchase as many six-packs of beer and cartons of cigarettes as she needed to ensure she wouldn't be productive.

I lived with her and my half-sister when I moved up to Austin right out of high school to attend UT. I was prepared to live a lean lifestyle, so I was shocked when she was able to buy t-bone steaks with her Lone Star card. I've never eaten so well after being raised by my hardworking yet poverty-level-income-earning dad. I could only take a semester of those living conditions, but during that time, I saw that she was the norm in her housing complex. The govt subsidized her worst habits and rewarded her with food that many working-class people can't afford.

May 25, 2010 at 12:02 p.m.

• I hear you sage1,I agree there are flaws in the system as there is throughout the federal bureaucracy such as farm subsidies and defense spending but it is all too common to focus on the lowest common denominator.

May 25, 2010 at 11:27 a.m.

• Mike: One personal point about welfare that bothers me. When I was in college I didn't qualify for financial aid because my parents lived out of the country and unfortunately, my father felt he was above the law and didn't have to pay his taxes. As a result, I couldn't receive aid. I took various jobs ranging from waitressing to harvesting sod in order to pay for college. At one point, I was literally starving - body systems began shutting down. I went to the welfare office for help, I was denied. I was told that because I was a student, I was not allowed to receive welfare. The gentleman added that even if I could, I would only get $8/week for food.

It bothers me because I clearly needed the assistance and I wasn't abusing the system, but I was denied. I know it's off topic, but it indicates a problem with how people are identified and retained in the system.

May 25, 2010 at 10:43 a.m.

• We have made improvements with Welform Reform and I don't really think it re-enslaved anyone. I don't look down on those that have to use the system because they're down on their luck. Slavery was man's inhumanity to man and not to be compared with a hand up. We will always have poverty, no matter what we do.

I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes and I now realize now that I'm in my declining years(retirement) I am consuming more than I pay in. And I can see where my age group is using up most of the resources with Social Security and Medicare. That's why I will not mind taking a reduction in entitlements rather than see the middle class take the full brunt. People give lip service to smaller government and balancing the budget but they refuse to tackle defense and entitlement spending and an increase in taxes. We can talk all day about government waste but even if we reduced it to zero; it would not make a dent in the debt. We can blame Wall Street , Barney Frank or the Fed for our financial crisis but that will not lead us back to prosperity... Because of the mistakes of many,we will eventually have to raise taxes.

May 24, 2010 at 2:57 p.m.

• BSspotter and ALL: This is awesome! I am actually learning something. Thanks for sharing the info...I haven't looked into the Coffee Party - I thought I created the name. Obviously, I was late. It's really great to learn about new stuff.

May 24, 2010 at 2:38 p.m.

• Mike, granted, the welfare system was intended to be a safety net, but look at what it's become. It has re-enslaved many of the same people who are at the center of this discussion. We exchanged many plantations for one large one. This time, the slavery transcends race.

Yep, everyone feeds from the trough. I blame the trough fillers.

May 24, 2010 at 2:27 p.m.

• You want to say we subsidize second class citizens; I say we lay a safety net under the underprivileged. It is just my opinion but I think it is a moral obligation for a prosperous nation to take care of its own.... Our welfare state is a biggest source of racial tension; I say it's ignorance..... Is there abuse? You bet just like any other subsidies.

I will continue to say; republicans, conservatives, democrats, liberals, libertarians, and moderates all step up to feed from the government trough but not all admit it.

May 24, 2010 at 2:17 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

May 24, 2010 at 2:07 p.m.

• I was not suggesting that we force(because we can't) " human rights" but is part of our foreign policy and has been since after WWII. President Eisenhower scaled it back a bit on the goals in his era but the Clinton administration ratified the Convention against Torture(CAT) which included all sorts of racism into our foreign policy. Granted it is overlooked because in our own military and economic interest; we must deal with a lot of bad hombres now and then. Nevertheless, it was more of a statement of we have to practice what we preach; because other countries that are on that are on the verge of changing their ways ,will look to us as an example.... You may not buy that.

A Secondhand citizen is usually one considered inferior in status depriving them of their rights under the 14th amendment. It took a long time for women to get the vote; minorities to get civil and voting rights. Now, under the guise of the rights of property owners , some want to use that as a as an excuse to go back to discrimination. Under the guise of property rights; they want the United States sit idly by and condone discrimination. I'm not that naive; I know that there are private clubs that practice discrimination but they are the exception rather than the rule. They are usually isolated and are not on a main thoroughfare where the general public takes it for granted that they can buy a sandwich, use the restroom and tend to other needs without fear of repercussion base only on the color of their skin, gender, or sexual orientation.

May 24, 2010 at 1:53 p.m.

• Mike, generationally speaking, racism is on the decline.

If we don't want a 2nd class of citizens, why do we continue to subsidize one? Our welfare state is arguably our biggest source of racial tension. (Yes, all races are on welfare, but it carries a heavy racial connotation.)

May 24, 2010 at 1:47 p.m.

• Mike..."How can we preach " human rights" to other countries; when we we want to practice second class citizenry in the name of property rights."

The US has no business "preaching human rights" to any soverign country. We do it, but we shouldn't. I'm trying to figure what you mean by practicing second class citizenry in the name of property rights. By that, do you mean that because someone does not own certain property and are denied the rights derived from that property, then they are therefore second class?

May 24, 2010 at 12:43 p.m.

• BSspotter said
    "When folks like Mike say we're a community, I have to reply by saying there is no such thing as "community". Groups are abstract concepts. There are only individuals. Any collection of individuals, acting under their own volition and within the rights of others, is still just a collection of individuals who may choose to enter into voluntary contracts with each other. Any state apparatus built around us that denies us our natural rights to ethical, peaceful self-determination is illegitimate. The idea of one big master-planned community is a farce."

That is your definition but as an individual I have my own.... The community can be just an area where a group of individuals live. Doesn't have to have political implications.... The community can elect individuals to represent the citizens to pass laws.

BSspotter said

"Racism -- being only a thought in a racist's mind -- has to run its generational course. I want a sustainable peace amongst all peoples, not an artificial peace that must be artificially maintained by edict."

HAS TO RUN ITS GENERATIONAL COURSE! 300 years of man's inhumanity to man was not enough? Your thoughts and your libertarian views cannot guarantee a sustainable peace among all people...... Sometimes you have to do more than lead a horse to water..... I believe most Americans do not resent the Civil Rights legislation and we are a better nation for it... How can we preach " human rights" to other countries; when we we want to practice second class citizenry in the name of property rights. I imagine that you are against the Fair Housing Act, probably forced overtime(yet you will take it) and minimum wage.

May 24, 2010 at 12:21 p.m.

• This for humor.

“We did it by throwing their stinkin' tea in our American habor! And why? Because Americans don't like tea. We like coffee. And Americans don't like wine. We like beer!”

- Al Bundy (Chicago Wine Party)

May 23, 2010 at 5:18 p.m.

• Sage1.

Things are about to change in the Crossroads area.

May 23, 2010 at 4:44 p.m.

• sage1, here are my thoughts on the Coffee Party in the context of the Tea Party:
    www.victoriaadvocate.com/weblogs/para...

May 23, 2010 at 4:25 p.m.

• writein: thanks for the link. I didn't know there was already a coffee party. i'll have to read up on it. I already learned that drinking coffee was a patriotic act during the tea party days from that link.

May 23, 2010 at 3:05 p.m.

• Writein, let me restate. A community (a concept) is the culmination of the interactions of individuals. You can't have a community without individuals. Maximum liberty comes from honoring each individual's rights. Supplanting one person's rights with another's privileges will diminish everyone's freedoms, including those who we tried to "help" by entitling those privileges. I'm not trying to make a case for using liberties as a means to keep anyone down. I want to raise everyone up to that standard.

May 23, 2010 at 11:29 a.m.

• Mike.

I must have hit the button instead of proofreading first. The reason people do not vote here because the district (Ron Paul’s Geanie Morrison“s, or Glenn Hegar’s) have a single mindset which causes political inbreeding.

May 23, 2010 at 6:22 a.m.

• Sage1.

The Coffee Party…. I am down for that. However, I am so angered by recent comments and events, that a simple protest isn’t enough for me. I might go the petition and ballot route (something I don’t want to) and that depends on how family would think. By the way, please do not be alarmed, but I am not as Liberal as most think I am. Victoria and the surrounding area is so conservative that it is hard for folks who are non-conservative like you or me to meet and hold sizable rallies. I would like to see a Victoria Coffee Party to challenge the Local Tea Party Folks. I think Democrats, Moderates, and non-conservatives need to be more like Harry S. Truman and less like John Kerry or George McGovern.

May 23, 2010 at 6:13 a.m.

• BS Spotter.

Excuse me but I do not buy into your statement. Are we individuals? Yes, but we are also a community.

May 23, 2010 at 5:47 a.m.

• Writein: "... imagine yourself driving from to work or a place out of town. You can not go into a place of business to to eat..."

It's hard to imagine suffering under such constant soul-crushing rejection. My point in entering this discussion was to remind everyone that private property rights should not be discounted. To stifle one's exercise of thought via the manifestation of a private business is to enforce a "thought crime". Bigots have the right to be bigots as long as they do no harm to others. The transaction involved in serving a meal should be a two-sided voluntary private contract. As despicable as it is to deny a product or service to someone strictly over race, it should be their right and at their own social peril.

Again, you can't argue against the desegregation of public schools. But what has subjugating one party's property rights for another's privilege of a spot at a private table bought us? Are we more or less beholden to and entitled by The State machine? What has been the root cause of America's growing socio-economic divide? (Hint: NOT racism) With the trend that was unfolding in the civil rights movement, I believe leaving this portion out of the Civil Rights Act may have been an extra motivator to command a lasting respect, but it wouldn't have happened overnight. We can't overlook that this part of the CRA didn't destroy racism -- it only masked it. Racism -- being only a thought in a racist's mind -- has to run its generational course. I want a sustainable peace amongst all peoples, not an artificial peace that must be artificially maintained by edict.

May 22, 2010 at 10:40 p.m.

• writein and mike: it's fun reading your discussions. you're both so civilized. thanks for setting the example for healthy discussion.writein: i'm glad you said you're tired of it. I am not from Victoria and I sometimes feel like I am the only one who disagrees with the current republican climate...thanks for making me see I am not alone, and neither are you. we are tired of it - I think we just don't complain as loudly. perhaps we need to be a little more active...what about a coffe party? I know it's lame. it was my attempt at humor, and i'm trying to come up with something opposite from tea party. what's the opposite of tea?

May 22, 2010 at 9:04 p.m.

• Good grief, the guy won a PRIMARY election, WTF is the big deal?

He is not a senator yet, wait until a election where he actually becomes, or not, a senator.

All this belly aching is either, a shut him down before the real election, or, a bold attempt by his democratic opponent because he can't run on his own credentials.

I do not care, one way or the other who ends up getting elected from Kentucky , but obviously the national Democratic party does, for whatever reason.

May 22, 2010 at 6:37 p.m.

• Mike:

"Ron Paul ,Rand Paul and Rollingstone all believe that the market will always self correct(even if it doesn't) and can never do any wrong. They will do anything to try to place the blame on the government or poor people."

Show me where I blamed poor people for our current economic condition. I did no such thing. Yeah, putting people in homes they cannot afford is a real good way to help the poor. Throwing them out of their home and job, gosh that's even better - what a great idea. I wonder who thought up this program - could it be wild eyed liberals, the tooth fairy, Barney Frank, Bill Clinton, GWB?

There was wide spread graft and corruption associated with this subprime mess. Liar loans were given to people with no identification some were not even citizens of this country. These were not small loans they were for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I read that in some places people used the money to buy existing apartments, never made a payment. Collected rent until foreclosure, skipped town and did it again - great program for the poor.

What brought Wall Street down was not credit default swaps but the default rates on subprime loans. Yes Wall Street firms got over extended, but the reason they did is they got sucked in by the supposed low risk of mortgage backed securities and their triple A ratings, even the SEC was fooled - need I say more.

Oh, I almost forgot the current trouble with sovereign debt is about to implode the world's financial system the same way subprime mortgages did - the same thing will probably happen again, gosh what great news. It looks like all those stimulus packages and other crap on borrowed money may not be such a great idea after all.

I know Mike, doom and gloom - go ahead cheer me up :)

May 22, 2010 at 5:22 p.m.

• I respectfully disagree on both counts... Have you looked at the 14th district? It is was tailor made for Ron Paul.

I really don't think we should have a 50/50 gerrymandered district. People should vote according to the demographic of their county or district. I certainly don't mind a 90% conservative district or vice versa. It evens out and then it becomes the battle of the grassroots effort.

If possible we just need to get a nonpolitical commission to redraw the districts.

May 22, 2010 at 5:11 p.m.

• The solution to the problem, should I say partial solution is to end greymanndering in certain Congressional districts. I would like to see a 50-50 balance in congessional districts just like Ron Paul's.

May 22, 2010 at 5:02 p.m.

• Writen
    I certainly think we are because they are the exception rather than the norm. Just look at the makeup of the president's cabinet.

I understand what you mean because I remember posters saying we should send troops to the southern border armed 50 caliber machine guns shooting anything that moves northward. Not too many people are saying that anymore.

In this blog, I really didn't see anyone coming to Rand Paul's defense... They just tried to change the subject.

BTW The person we thought should have been Obama 's running mate(Chuck Hagel) is being considered to replace the outgoing Intelligence Chief,Dennis Blair. He might not make it because Blair's undersecretary has first shot.... That was a long time ago.

May 22, 2010 at 5 p.m.

• Mike.

Are we a better Nation? The problem now is that people are hiding their true feelings. Lets take some of the comments made on this very site two, three years ago, Heck even NOW. Even the Letters to the editor using code words and having a "Might makes Right" attitude. Paul Drake's letter of Feb. 2007 comes to mind or of that Bigot out of Port 'o Conner.

May 22, 2010 at 4:45 p.m.

• Writen

No need to apologize, we are a better nation because of that Civil Rights Legislation... I remember our military bus having to drive an extra 75 miles or so because they would not allow a black soldier to eat at the dining table. I repeat, no one should be reduced to a second class citizen status just to preserve some misguided interpretation of property rights and liberty.

May 22, 2010 at 4:18 p.m.

• BSspotter
    You like throwing the word liberty out there every chance you get but we're not hermits; we have a civilized society and are a nation of laws. We're bound by zoning laws, smoking laws, traffic laws etc..... We are a community.

Again, the hate crime legislation was sent up to bring in the Feds if the locals did not do their due diligence. It will be hard to enforce but it just another level of justice like civil rights violations.

Liberty=Immunity from arbitrary exercise of authority;no can do.

May 22, 2010 at 4:10 p.m.

• BS Spotter.

I must apologize. However, imagine yourself driving from to work or a place out of town. You can not go into a place of business to to eat or a take dump. Instead going to the restroom like everyone else, you have the dishonor of stopping on the side of the road.

Think about that.

May 22, 2010 at 4:10 p.m.

• If you're talking about reyrey; he is probably in the norm because no one in their right mind would revisit the civil rights act not knowing there would be repercussions.

I know exactly why Rand Paul feels the way he does; his dad feels the same way and so did Goldwater when he voted against it . It's business over humanity.

May 22, 2010 at 4:04 p.m.

• Writein, I was just offering my anecdotal perspective on Paul's statements. (Those aren't his original ideas.) I'm not a big fan of the evocation of thought crimes or the revocation of property rights.

Mike, sorry, I didn't mean to suggest you called Paul a racist. That was directed at someone else.

May 22, 2010 at 3:55 p.m.

• My words are still in print.... I said Rand Paul is not a racist but his views are out of the mainstream. The civil rights legislation is settled law.

I would rather have a cookie cutter moderate conservative than a wild eye libertarian purist.

After about the fifth time;Rand Paul finally got it right.... The mood and the actions of the south in the early 1960s warranted Federal intervention. The restaurant owners and other business people were obviously not going to desegregate on their own. That is also established fact. We should not have second class citizens in the United States of America.

May 22, 2010 at 3:47 p.m.

• BS Spotter.

Are you making this statement in order to make to facual statement or was it something else?

May 22, 2010 at 3:42 p.m.

• Side note: I'm not completely sold on Rand Paul. I hope he's not a cookie cutter conservative.

May 22, 2010 at 3:33 p.m.

• Bigots are a fact of life, but Rand Paul is no bigot. There is no way to engineer racism out of society. Desegregation of public schools was the right things to do, but usurping private property rights was a questionable action. As sick as it is, I should be able to turn away ANYONE from my private business based on any quality I deem unfavorable, but I should have to suffer societal scrutiny, whether it be through reduced sales, loss of a lease, or just a tainted reputation. I’ve read/heard plenty of stories of business owners seizing opportunities to serve those who were turned away from discriminating establishments. There are still plenty of bigots who don’t like to cater to other races, and I’d prefer to know who they are so I can take my business elsewhere.

After all this time, we still have a massive racial chasm to bridge, but it’s happening in the natural course of human interaction. Forcing private businesses to serve everyone against their will is simply a loss of liberty for one group in order to provide a privilege to another group. No one has the right to the fruits of another’s private property. This also falls into the fallacious “hate crime” category. If you refuse service based on race, you are committing a “thought crime” without a victim. Laws create victims of thought.

I have three beautiful (half-)African-American nieces/nephews, and I would never want them to face racial discrimination, but it’s probably going to happen, most likely without their knowledge. I’m saddened by it, but I’m also encouraged by the progress we’ve made over the last few decades. Racism is a generational problem. As a teenager, my dad and his friends would sit in the “Black” balcony of the movie theater in protest, but he’s also been known to crack the occasional racial joke, and I'm sure his dad was a product of his generation. I choose to take the good and leave the bad. If we all look back at our own lineage, we can see the progress. My kids will never know such thoughts.

So, before we get hyper-indignant over a clearly non-racist alternative interpretation of a portion of the Civil Rights Act, let’s first examine where we are and what got us here, one human interaction at a time. Take stock of what you would have done to confront racist establishments. Would it have been enough? Can you turn off racism like a switch? What effect does granting privileges and calling them rights have on our perception of what a right is and whether they can be granted? Is there such a thing as collective rights? Give this some thought before pulling the race card.

(And I dare anyone to call me a racist!)

May 22, 2010 at 3:30 p.m.

• Mike.

I am sick and tired of ALL OF IT. This Conservative "might makes right" Chest beating. I think it is time to for locals who are not Republican or utrla-conservaitve to actully challenge this stupidity and igonornce.

I have been an angry person since 2003. I witness stupidty far too long and I NO LONGER being on the sidelines on here. From The Iraq war to the Texas Education Board's Nazism to Hate Talk Radio to Illegal Immgartion to Local UHV issue, I have about ENOUGH OF IT. I think within the couple of months, my pricay and my life will change.

May 22, 2010 at 3:23 p.m.

• Writein
    I dare ask;what are you sick & tired of?

May 22, 2010 at 3:09 p.m.

• Rollinstone
    I’m going to stop with the blame game because it was simple greed on all parts that caused our problems. I’m a defender of no one politically. Truth is things were a mess when Obama came into office and just a little better now. I’m on your side when it comes to deficit spending and I have been making that argument for along time. But what other options were left on the table for Obama.

Options
    Let the banking system collapse. – I don’t have any chickens, how would I see the doctor.

Cut taxes to spur consumer spending – 95% got a tax cut and it has help a little bit.

Reduce Spending – It’s hard to reduce spending in a recession when fighting 2 wars.

Let the Big Three Fail – Sorry but I buy American Cars only, what would I do then.

Let Big Insurance continue to scam the American people - $12,000 annual premiums can not be defended.

For me actions and results speak louder than anything. So far Obama’s actions and results have been mixed which is probably a good thing. Tilting one way or the other sometimes sinks the boat faster.

In the past I went on YouTube to watch videos of the tea party rallies. All I heard were vague references to the constitution and lost liberties. What I failed to hear are practical solutions to any of the options I listed above. Maybe finding solutions is too hard for them. What I also heard in the voices of the speakers and in the crowd was fear. Not a fear of ones sovereignty, but a fear of losing control of the power.

As we start seeing the Tea Party rally participation dwindling, Glenn Beck ratings falling, freedom concerts not selling out, Sarah Palins books on clearance and Rush back on drugs maybe the baggers will go back into the shadows and reappear as true Americans. Those true Americans that respect the office of the President, the American political system, the country’s history of justice and injustice, and more importantly have compassion for those outside their immediate circles.

We’ve got a good smart President in office, let him write his history then let us judge that history.

May 22, 2010 at 3:08 p.m.

• I am sick and tried of this.

May 22, 2010 at 3:07 p.m.

• reyrey

Ron Paul ,Rand Paul and Rollingstone all believe that the market will always self correct(even if it doesn't) and can never do any wrong. They will do anything to try to place the blame on the government or poor people. It's their libertarian leanings; they hate the government , regulations, authority and anything that they think might cause them to pay a little more taxes.

All that leads to crony capitalism and eventually back to the days where a company did not have to pay overtime, minimum wage, or abide by the civil rights legislation.

May 22, 2010 at 3:04 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

May 22, 2010 at 3:03 p.m.

• Rollingstone
    You're right, I pulled up the wrong reference but Clinton thoughts didn't really debunk any theory I had because I wrote a blog about the Commodity Futures Modernization Act in January of 2010........ You left out the role that Alan Greenspan had in this...... No one in the Federal government knew anything about derivatives and they did not want to be the ones to slow down a booming economy. Not all derivatives are bad; they just need to be more transparent.

May 22, 2010 at 2:51 p.m.

• Reyrey.

Here is the solution get rid of greymanndering of districts esepeclly this congerssional district. Political inbreeding need to stop.

May 22, 2010 at 2:49 p.m.

• rollingstone: In reference to your obama is a marxist - it's all over the internet, so it must be true comment: I could create a bunch of sites claiming rollingstone is an idiot, but it doesn't make it true. Just because "the internet" says it doesn't make it fact. Geez!

May 22, 2010 at 2:42 p.m.

• Geez, I can not get away from the Pauls. In Victoria I was introduced to the father and his looney followers at Victoria College and now in KY, I get stuck with his son. Not being black himself and possibly not facing the possibility of not being served lunch or denied a service, he does not see anything wrong with businesses having the right to serve whoever they want. The guy is a racist, bottom line. If economic interests over ride moral interest as he is preaching, then he is nothing but a bigot hiding under the Constitution.

May 22, 2010 at 1:56 p.m.

• Mike, I hate to say this but your link about the CFMA said nothing about the act - it just mentioned it, big deal. Do you even read your links before you post them? Just blowing smoke I guess. BTW Clinton debunked your "economic theory" about Glass Steagel repeal - oh well.

May 22, 2010 at 1:18 p.m.

• All you do is named drop Wall Street Journal but most of time your link leads to something unrelated to the stats you produce.

I think it's 17 intelligence agency but who's counting and I don't believe they saved us from 9/11.... I believe Cheney & Rumfeld had their own....

Didn't the Madoff Pozzi scheme sneak by the Bush administration without the right wingers saying anything.

Goldman Sachs did a lot more than just operate on a 40% leverage; they also manipulated AIG and the two bond rating firms. They convinced AIG to open a new financial branch just to deal with the speculative derivatives. You have your facts mixed up again about the Commodity Futures Moderation Act.

Right wingers like to put more blame on Fannie and Freddie as a way to place the blame on poor people rather than the free market.... Didn't work for Limbaugh & Beck.

MMS, was corrupt and incompetent prior to the Obama ministration but this administration will take steps to divide the branch that is supposed to receive royalties from them from the other branch that is supposed to oversee them..... Only a free market ideologue would put the blame on the Federal government for the actions of British Petroleum...BP alone is to blame and the investigation will bear that out..... You sound like Rand Raul.

You do know that the Wall Street Journal is owned by Rupert Murdoch and they usually side with big business.... It does have a bias.

May 22, 2010 at 1:09 p.m.

• Well Mike, I don't get my news from Bill Maher that's for sure. BTW the 70% and 96% numbers came from the WSJ. Oh I know what does the WSJ know they seldom quote Bill Maher, Chris "jackass" Matthews, Mother Jones, the Daily KOS or the Workers Daily - I mean go figure.

Yeah you sound like you know a lot about economics. What you seem to know a lot about is socialism, big government and trusting in thousands of pages of regulations and bureaucrats. How's that working out....hmmm, let's see:

We have 16 intelligence agencies and four terror attacks in the last year. The SEC has doubled in size and then we had our financial collapse, not to mention giant Pozzi schemes by Madoff and Stanford.

And oh yeah, thousands of banking regulators that had no clue, not to mention the fraud that took place with Fannie cooking the books - people were forced to resign with their golden parachutes, damn the luck.

And I guess I would be remiss if I didn't mention it was the SEC that OKed Goldman leveraging to 30 to one and not regulating the leverage of AIG at all - thanks to the Commodity Futures Modernization Act passed by Clinton. And the regulators at MMS really got after BP AFTER they had the blowout - great piece of work there, right....uh I mean correct Mike?

May 22, 2010 at 12:28 p.m.

• It's pretty evident that Rollinstone got his economic degree from the Glenn Beck school of high finance..... Take no blame, never blame the free market because when everything t goes south;it can be pinned on the secular progressives.

That's quite a fairy tale that Rollinstone cooked up with numbers such as the 70%, 98% he cites; never mentioning Goldman Sachs,AGI, or any other Wall Street firm. Don't let the lies fool you; it's all propaganda. It's just a diversion...I will lay 10-1 odds,Rollingstone has never read any books or anything outside the right wing blogosphere in coming up with his one sided version of the financial crisis..Believe me it shows.

Rand Paul is not a corrupt incumbent because this is his first rodeo..... Unlike his father his one vote in the senate can cause havoc. His father is pretty much a lone wolf in the house where he can easily be overridden.

Rollingstone is not a republican, he is a Ron Paulite free market fundamentalist who gets most of his talking points from Glenn Beck.

Bill Maher unloaded on Rand Paul last night.

He said "It's as if Sarah Palin somehow made it through medical school."

Then he said Rand Paul said "accidents happen;yea it's not exactly what you want to hear from a doctor performing lasik surgery."

If you are fodder for the late night comics just after you just won a primary;it means you have a lot of work to do.

May 22, 2010 at 10:24 a.m.

• GRRRMAL, that was quite a rant, BTW you might want to try using paragraphs it makes them more readable. GRRRMAL, I agree, the Clinton era was great. Government spending as a percentage of GDP was the lowest it has been in several decades. But there were some things that Clinton did that had lasting effects.

Clinton repealed Glass-Steagel in 1999. Some say this was a major cause of our financial meltdown and others say it had little to do with it. One thing it did do was strengthen the Community Reinvestment Act that "encouraged" banks to make risky subprime loans.

Almost at the same time Fannie and Freddie started making subprime loans. Fannie and Freddie took over much of the home loan business during this period because they were able to offer loans at lower rates than commercial banks. Some say this drove many banks into more risky ventures.

What's amazing is F&F were set up to help the poor. If so why was the "conforming mortgage limit" raised to $730,000 where it is today? Who the Hell can afford a $730,000 home, especially if they are poor? In 1998 subprime mortgages were about 1 or 2% of all home mortgages, in 2007 they were about 23%.

F&F were involved in over 70% of these subprime loans. They were making them as fast as they could and bundling them into mortgage backed securities with triple A ratings. They were also lying to regulators about how many of these bad loans they were making.

It's the failure of these mortgage back securities that caused our financial meltdown. Today F&F account for 96% of all home mortgages. Healthcare "reform" included the government takeover of student loans, this removed even more business from commercial banks. Is it any wonder that over 800 banks are currently in serious trouble?

Now Rand Paul has really nothing to do with this. Does he have some warts and blemishes, sure. But at least he is not a corrupt incumbent, give him credit for that. Now GRRRMAL, I want you to look in the mirror, are you still foaming at the mouth? If so you need to do something about that. In the meantime don't bite anyone.

May 22, 2010 at 8:03 a.m.

• Rollinstone.

"Hi Pot", said Kettle," you're Black".

May 22, 2010 at 1:47 a.m.

• Unfortunately, the followers of Rand Paul's party are of the opinion that one can hold opposite goals to those one states until after one is elected. They believe all politicians do that so why not. Clearly not a moral matter for them. Rand Paul just doesn't know how to keep his broken prefrontal cortex from letting it get out.

May 21, 2010 at 10:16 p.m.

• Rollinstone
    Can you remember that last time there was a balance budget and a surplus? It was the liberal democratic who was in charge! I remember those on the right calling him a Marxist and Socialist. You’re right about the deficit spending, but when we had 2 wars and a massive tax cut put on a credit card you guys on the right went silent. Now when the credit card bill comes due and the country goes into a recession because of the unchecked and unregulated free markets you guys go crazy. What is the best solution that you can come up with? Mass layoffs of government workers, massive cuts in federal spending at a time when were trying get the economy out of the toilet. The Tea Party shouts and screams about big government. You guys created the big government! Polls have shown that 70% of Tea Party members voted Bush. You may want to selectively forget that, but the fact remains you are the cause of everything that you are currently protesting. So what you guys need to do is go to mirror spit, shout obscenities, point your guns, flip the bird, hold your “obama is a nazi” sign and shut the hell up.

May 21, 2010 at 10:07 p.m.

• BigJ, no.

May 21, 2010 at 9:15 p.m.

• Sooner or later you guys are going to have to move on from the " Well Bush did it " defense.. Your party has to be accountable for their own actions..

May 21, 2010 at 9:09 p.m.

• Rollinstone.

Are you talking about Rick Perry and Cornerstone Church?

May 21, 2010 at 9:06 p.m.

• GRRRMAL, duh, my crystal ball says that two trillion dollar deficits year after year is not sustainable. And the liberal, left wing, socialists in the Congress show no inclination to rein in the spending.

Yes I know GRRRMAL that the idiot Bush also spend too much and he did, but my God what we are doing now is insane and it appears to be deliberate - why?

As far as the lotto numbers, you are on your own, I worked too hard to earn my money to just be conned out of it by the government.

May 21, 2010 at 9 p.m.

• The sky has been falling for the last 8 years. I didn’t hear you or the baggers chirping about it until now. How could you not know what was going on then? It was all over the Internet. This is what I don’t get about the Tea party crowd/Republicans. Now it’s everyone is a Marxist, everyone is a racist and everyone is a socialist. Gimme a Break! Since you are the one who knows what is coming, I was wondering if you can foretell the future and get me tomorrows lotto numbers. Because I sure could use the money to buy me some gold coins. I heard it was a really good investment.

May 21, 2010 at 7:58 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

May 21, 2010 at 7:56 p.m.

• Rand Paul was booked to be the guest on Meet The Press on Sunday. Late this afternoon he pulled out. That's going to be hard to live down.

May 21, 2010 at 6:32 p.m.

• JHGRRMAL, Obama is not a Marxist? I did research it, it's all over the internet. Reverend Wright is not a racist, really? Come on open your eyes the guy preached racial hatred to Obama for twenty stinking years. This administration continues on a path to make our country a socialist utopia. GRRMAL, I know what's coming, you are the one being set up - good luck.

And RTX, what is an idoit? Do you mean "I do it" ? Anyway if you mean idiot then the congressmen passing these 2000 + page bills are not idiots they are socialists, redistributing the wealth and mortgaging the countries future - yeah that's right they are stacking all this crap on our grandkids.

May 21, 2010 at 5:40 p.m.

• looks like he's a just a big enough idoit to be a fine congress member

May 21, 2010 at 4:52 p.m.

• I’m not sure if you have read my post. I'm not defending anyone. I am just arguing against your weak assertions which are right out of the Sean Hannity playbook. These same old weak arguments can be used both ways. Come up with something more original then that pre-recorded message.

Ok, I’m changing my mind. I will defend Obama against Dr. Rand Paul’s attacks that he is too hard on BP and that it’s un-American. As an avid fisherman, I don’t think the President has been un-American enough with it comes to these guys. I say just take over their entire US operations tomorrow, with any and all future earnings going towards clean-up and restitution.

May 21, 2010 at 4:33 p.m.

• rollinstone: Your posts are so typically the same. Poorly researched, idiotic, and virtually nonsensical.

May 21, 2010 at 4:29 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

May 21, 2010 at 4:25 p.m.

• Lol.... A Glenn Beckie complaining about exaggerations.

I sourced my statement, I know it may not be up to the journalistic standards of WorldNetDaily that you're used to, but it is not an exaggeration.

Rand Paul,while campaigning in Montana back in 2008 talked about the mythical "NAFTA Superhighway" and the "Amero", the mythical NAFTA currency. It's no wonder that he canceled this Sunday's appearance on " Meet the Press."..... I don't blame the GOP and his handlers ; the guy is just not ready.

May 21, 2010 at 4:25 p.m.

• "This is a very typical Democratic thing to post. Defend their guy by exaggerating claims about the other guy and then try deflecting proper criticism. It sounds about as informed as any left wing socialist." Pot, hello!

May 21, 2010 at 3:50 p.m.

• I'm all for giving Rand Paul the microphone and all the television coverage he wants; he is self destructive.

He should have run on the libertarian ticket because that is what he is and believes but being the hypocritical politician he is; he knew he couldn't get elected running on that platform.

Now he thinks is entitled to a honeymoon just because he beat a weak opponent.... He's in the big leagues now; so blaming the loony left, the left wing media, and the president for the words he said and wrote just shows how he is not ready for prime time. Can he over come his rookie mistakes? That's for the voters of Kentucky to decide....69 million voters thought Obama deserved their vote.

He doesn't like the health care bill but but would not cut : Medicare physician payments. In fact, Paul — who says 50% of his patients are on Medicare — wants to end cuts to physician payments under a program now in place called the sustained growth rate, or SGR. “Physicians should be allowed to make a comfortable living,” he told a gathering of neighbors in the back yard of Chris and Linda Wakild, just behind the 10th hole of a golf course. ..

That's one of those" I'm against Federal programs unless I benefit from them."

May 21, 2010 at 2:10 p.m.

• Overview of RollinStone recent comments

“Violent racial hatred” – Odds are Rand Paul has at least one friend in Kentucky who was once a member of the KKK.

“Friends who at one time or another plotted the violent overthrow of the government” - this sounds to me a lot like the TEA PARTY that Dr. Paul was thanking after his nomination.

“Marxist” – After Rand Paul calls the President un-American for putting pressure on BP to clean up their mess I would have to classify him as a “tsixraM”. He is the one keeping the theory alive.

“Redistribute the wealth” – Rand Paul favors this, only problem is the money goes to his super rich spoiled friends.

“Abolish our free market economy” –this is what Rand Paul is trying to do by adhering to his flawed philosophy that the market will take care of itself. That’s how we got monopolies such as big oil, big banks, and big insurance.

“said our Constitution was outdated and flawed” – The document was written over 200 years ago! When was the last time it was amended?

This is a very typical Republican thing to post. Defend your guy by exaggerating claims about the other guy and then try deflecting proper criticism. He sounds about as informed as the rest of the Tea Party wannabes.

May 21, 2010 at 1:42 p.m.

• Thank God, Rand Paul didn't belong to a church that preached violent racial hatred or that he has friends who at one time or another plotted the violent overthrow of the government.

Oh wait, suppose he was a Marxist and he wanted to redistribute the wealth and abolish our free market economy . And just think of the outrage if he said our Constitution was outdated and flawed - why that would have everyone sitting up, yelling WTH, right....uh, I mean correct?

May 21, 2010 at 12:37 p.m.

• I have read the Libertarian platform; it’s pretty scary....It's for hermits.

The media has now found an article Rand Paul wrote in 2002 to his hometown newspaper complaining because the editorial board endorsed the Fair Housing Act...He said "He wrote that "a free society will abide unofficial, private discrimination, even when that means allowing hate-filled groups to exclude people based on the color of their skin." ...Wow, it will be interesting seeing him walk that back.

May 20, 2010 at 5:23 p.m.

• Mike,
    You're right. If were a purist like Stossel or Williams he would have run as a Libertarian. Peopel seem to think that Libs and Reps are closely aligned in their thinking. LOLOLOL That's why I say read the Libertarian platform.

May 20, 2010 at 5:14 p.m.

• I agree Pat,Rand Paul is not a purist like John Stossel who said “A private business ought to get to discriminate.”

Someone said Rand Paul mentioned Tea Party nine times and Kentucky just once in his acceptance speech.

May 20, 2010 at 4:43 p.m.

• If you read the paltform of the Libertarian Party you see that Rand is RINO from the other side of the coin. He spoke the truth from the Libertarian point of view. I don't know if he can do the country or the state of Ky any good,though.
    Patrick Barnes

May 20, 2010 at 4:26 p.m.

• Yep,Rand Paul just made a full reversal..... His spokesmans,Greg Sargent ,just said"that Rand Paul does in fact support the power of the federal government "to insure that private businesses don't discriminate based on race."..... Rand doesn't stick to his guns like his father but then again that's why his father only got 42 delegates in the last presidential election....... I can see that ad now; all they have to do is superimpose Rand over Kerry and say" he was for it before he was against it."

Senator DeMint said he and others were gonna have to sit down Paul and give him a good talking to.

I guess he's not a libertarian purist; he's just another politician.

May 20, 2010 at 2:17 p.m.

• Obviously the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Obviously he has been brainwashed by daddy. The “I would have voted against the civil rights act before I would have voted for it” is a classic. What a Joke this guy has turned out to be! All the coat-tail riding wannabes are always the first to question why other people get special privileges.

Rand Paul is an embarrassment. The more he talks, the more people will resent voting for him. This guy is done! The republicans better find someone they can run as an independent.

Insert Next Statement Here...

May 20, 2010 at 1:59 p.m.