Comments

• This comment was removed by the user.

June 3, 2010 at 6:29 a.m.

• Writein

"I, as a man, do not have any power. My voice is meaningless."

Guess that's why you are a liberal. You need the government to voice it for you.

June 2, 2010 at 8:27 a.m.

• Glenn Beck needs a Chill Pill and some manners since he bash the President's daughter.

June 2, 2010 at 6:37 a.m.

• VBB.

You can bet your butt, that I am different than you. First of all, your statement is FLAT OUT LIE!!!!!!!!!!! You either have a short memory or selective one. I believe the latter. Last year or so, I praised Republicans like Jack Kemp, Colin Powell and others on a VICAD forum, which you reply to me. The problem with you, VBB. You think everything is about YOU !!!! You think the world revolve around You and YOUR SOCCER MOM WAYS!!!!!!!!!! ENOUGH, VBB, ENOUGH !!!!!!!!!! IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A “CARD”, but a HARD FACTS from those who are NOT YOU !!!!!!!!!

IF YALL WOULD ACT LIKE AND BE LIKE LINCOLN, KEMP, COOLIDGE, HARDING, AND POWELL instead OF PAGS, BECK, LIMBRAUGH, HANNITY, HOLLY, SAVAGE, WOAI, MORRISON, AND PERRY then I would be a lot more understanding, civil, and given you a benefit of a doubt. I am sick and tired of the “MIGHT MAKES RIGHT” mentality. I am sick and tired of the “ MY WAY OR HI-WAY” mentality. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE HANG THEM HIGH MENTALITY. The same mentalities that cowardly wrote a terrorist threat on a street. There will be a time when talking will do no good. There will be a time when apologies will be ignored, so as forgiveness.

I am different than you, VBB for many reasons. Living in this area all my life, I see a lot of wrongs, not being corrected. I, as a man, do not have any power. My voice is meaningless. However your voice is based on the hard truths of life and that is no “card” trick. This is why people are leaving the Crossroads Area. I have to wonder why a school district is so concern about a speech, but not concern over a high drop out rate. I have to wonder why a group of people concern about out Constitution, but is indifferent over the violations of due process of the law? You see, VBB, the time for talking, debating, and blogging is about to be over.

June 2, 2010 at 6:10 a.m.

• Legion...You misremember about the F-14.

" VF-1 and VF-2 began equipping with the Tomcat in July 1973 with a first cruise on the new mount in September 1974.

"The final deployment for the F-14 was between September 2005 and March 2006 with VF-31 and VF-213

That's almost 33 years in squadron service. I'd say the Navy got its moneys worth out of the Tomcats.

The first B-52As went into service with the Air Force in 1954. The B-52H is still in service flying combat almost every day.

The Boeing KC-135 tanker/transport aircraft first entered service with the Air Force in 1957 and is still in daily use refueling combat and transport airplanes. In addition, there are other versions of the basic airplane in service -- the AWACS, for example and electronic surveilance airplanes.

Lockheed C-130 transports entered squadron service with the Air Force in 1956 and are not only still in service, but still in production. It is used not only as a cargo transport, but as an air to air tanker, search and rescue platform, and ground attack gunship.

The F-4 Phantom entered service with the Navy in 1960 and the last Phantom was retired from active service in 1996 by the Air Force. Phantoms served with the Air Force, and Marines as well as the Navy.

The S-3 Viking was introduced into Naval carrier service in 1974 and is projected to remain with the fleet until 2015.

Now is there ANY waste in the military? Of course there is some. However, the service does give the taxpayer considerably more quality service for the dollars they spend than most other departments of the government. If you want to look for wasted money, there is no need to look past Congress itself.

June 1, 2010 at 8:59 p.m.

• IMO, the F-22 project was the wrong choice, the Joint Strike force fighter is a better choice.

No waste in the military? Ha Ha, now that is funny.

All you have to do see waste, since planes have been mentioned, is the time it take for aircraft to get from the drafting board to deployment.

I am not absolutely positive about this timeline, but I seem to remember hearing it. The F-14 was originally designed in 74 and was not deployed until 83 and retired shortly after 2001.

9 years or more from design to deployment, that is a problem, the military receives a brand new aircraft, that s basic design is already 9 years old. Of course the electronics go through tons of updates in the meantime, but the basic design doesn't.

June 1, 2010 at 6:04 p.m.

• I don't have a crystal ball either but I believe the next war will be a cyber one... They can do more destruction over the Internet than having a Snoopy v the Red Baron air fight.

That's why I hate having these discussions with you; you have so much hate.

How can one human being say another human being does not have compassion or accepts responsibility for sending our young people into harm's way. Despite what you think, red blood flows through the president's vains and you cannot prove with any certainty that he does not care for his fellow man but it makes you feel better to think so. You want to appeal to the wing nuts that feel the way you do..... Through my many post, I was very angry because President Bush took that detour to Iraq but I never doubted his devotion to the troops; he was after all an American president, more importantly, a human being...I can only imagine how a decision like war can weigh on a president's mind. We will never have to make that decision,so we won't ever know.

Those that support zillions of dollars for the military always say"If we get to a point where our military can't protect us, all the fiscal responsibility in the world won't help us...There is a vice versa to that...If we get to a point where we cannot borrow;we won't be able to buy the latest military toys.

Good night , I have nothing further that I wanna discuss with you.

June 1, 2010 at 5:47 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

June 1, 2010 at 5:23 p.m.

• I don''t have a crystal ball so I don't know exactly who the military might be fighting. I do know that the Russian Sukhoi and MiG design bureaus are building world class next generation fighters both for domestic air force use and for export sales to other countries. I also know that the USAF F-15s and F-16s are getting long in the tooth and the F-15s have had problems with corrosion that have on occasion grounded them until they could be fixed. There is a famous picture on the 'net showing an F-15 breaking up in flight due to corrosion. These airplanes do not have the advanced stealth technology nor the vectored thrust capabilities of the F-22s. They also cannot super cruise. The adversaries are passing them by. But, I don't know who might be flying them against our guys.

As for as the cheap shot, I don't think so. I don't think BO cares one bit about the American military or the safety of the troops. The military to him is, I believe, a necessary evil that he'd rather do without. While I don't think he'd celebrate casualties, I don't think they particularly bother him.

I AM concerned with budgets and deficits. I am MORE concerned with the safety and survival of the country. If we get to a point where our military can't protect us, all the fiscal responsibility in the world won't help us. When you can talk the Russians and Chinese and Iranians and North Koreans and the others who don't like us into laying down their good stuff, THEN I'll say we can cut our defense budgets. There is a very true saying that those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

June 1, 2010 at 5:03 p.m.

• Waywardwind

Who are these pilots gonna fight in this next air war you are envisioning?..... Pilots are now commanding aerial drones to kill the enemy 6000 miles away.

I thought you were concerned with the budget and the deficit? I guess you are for smaller government as long as they cut programs you're not interested in.

BTW That was a pretty cheap shot at the president and the defense secretary just because your expert military opinion, does not match theirs.... I believe every defense secretary and president ,cares about those they send to war.... I don't remember hearing you saying anything when Donnell Rumsfeld told the troops in Iraq"As you know, you go to war with the Army you have. They’re not the Army you might want or wish to have at a later time. [Rumsfeld, 12/8/04]

June 1, 2010 at 4:27 p.m.

• Code, we won't know about the bang for the buck on the B-2 for another 40 years or so. I suspect it'll prove to be a good investment. As for as the "black projects," the military must keep some things secret. Yeah, sometimes it's decades before we find out about them. I remember an airline pilot who, in an interview shortly after the SR-71 was announced to the public, said that he recoginzed the Blackbird as what he'd seen sometime prior and didn't know WHAT it was but he knew it was seriously fast. The Lockheed Skunk Works has given us some wonderful military hardware that has lasted well and given excellent service. Starting with the P-80 (later F-80), the U-2, the SR-71 and who knows what they've developed that we still don't know about. The F-22 is a world beater airplane. Yeah, it's expensive, but look at what it gives the pilot. It is stealthy, both to radar and IR seekers. It has thrust vectoring for increased manoverability. It has the ability to super-cruise, that is cruise at supersonic speed without having to use the fuel-guzzeling afterburners. All these things give the pilot advantages over the competition. This administration said they'd rather have pilots fly planes that are almost as good as the best we can build. This is the first time since the P-38 entered service in World War IIl that we've not supplied combat pilots with be best available airplanes. I hope this decision doesn't cause letters to survivors to be written by squadron commanders. I'm sure the president and Gates won't write any.

June 1, 2010 at 4:10 p.m.

• Waywardwind
    That's a good point, it's been said that just hearing the familiar noise of the B52 will make the enemy hightail it for cover because they know what's next. They could win a war with just the fly over...lol

Once we get over the hump and remain there for quarter; we need to take a serious look at ALL the expenditures if we ever gonna get serious about fiscal restraint. We need to also look and see if it is feasible for Medicare to pay for a hip replacement for an 85 year old. I think they should pay for it out of their own pocket. We need a look at money spent durning the last six months of an elderly patient's life..... I'm not advocating a Sarah Palin death panel but we need to have a serious discussion on Medicare.

June 1, 2010 at 3:44 p.m.

• I'm not so sure about the military giving us money well spent, at least not consistently. How much we spend on so called "black projects' hardly ever comes to light and if it does it's often decades later.

With the B-52 you are quite right - astounding value but what of the B2 Stealth at nearly $2 billion per finished product or the F22 Raptor program that has just dragged on an on until the government recently placed a hold on orders.

I think there is definitely room for great fiscal responsibility in the area of defense.

June 1, 2010 at 3:35 p.m.

• Hictoria

I don't know what you consider fast but it is estimated that it will be August before they complete the relief well,in BP talk, that may be October or November... They're now talking of an alternative plan to perhaps slow down the flow. You're absolutely right, it's anybody's guess.

June 1, 2010 at 3:29 p.m.

• Mike...I don't disagree with the idea of audits. Nor do I disagree that there are areas of waste. I don't think you'll find those areas within the military, however. The military gives the country excellent value for the money spent. For the best example, look at the Air Force and the B-52. The grandsons of the original BUFF pilots are flying them now and they are still excellent airplanes doing a good job, albeit one far different than the original intent for the planes.

I think you'll find the waste in the contractors who spend millions on lobbyists and executive perqs.

June 1, 2010 at 3:26 p.m.

• "American troops for American defense."

I agree with this statement, the problem then becomes the interpretation as to what is defending America - often it turns into "American interests" which, more often than not, is a vague term applied to anything that "interests" whoever is the current administration.

June 1, 2010 at 3:18 p.m.

• Waywardwind
    I did not advocate a Ron Paul Idea of bringing all the troops home... I realize we are in foreign countries for a reason. I do remember reading where President Eisenhower warned us of the military industrial complex. I think the defense department's needs a good audit because it doesn't have to take a good imagination to envision waste and fraud in the big bucks... I wouldn't be surprised if we had too many private contractors, cost overruns, duplications, and as John Mcain and Robert Gates point out, we have been paying for defense projects that are just a gold mine for the lobbyist and contractors.... We will always have money for our next conflict, humanitarian aid, or military equipment because we have a non budget item called" supplements."..The senate just passed a 4 month $60 billion package for defense.

I think Israel is the last thing we should worry about; they are more than capable of taking care of themselves.

We're not making cuts because we want to; it's because we have to.

June 1, 2010 at 3:18 p.m.

• It really is a no win for anyone. Hopefully, the crews drilling the relief wells can make some hole fast! That is the only sure fire way I see this thing coming to an end. Cut it off at the source.

The next big thing will be the USS Arizona finally deteriorating and releasing all 500,000 gallons it has on board... Hopefully, some great minds have considered that as well and have a plan to try and siphon it out before it is too late!

June 1, 2010 at 2:42 p.m.

• Code and Mike...Fine. We spend more on defense than any other country and twice what China spends compared to GDP. Now, where are China's troops deployed outside China? Those other countries facing threats with proportionately smaller defense budget, where are their troops deployed? Do you think we could save a few bucks if we brought our troops home from Korea, Japan, Germany, the UK, Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan? We could save even more if the North Koreans head south and we tell the ROKs they are on their own. How about we tell Israel that the next time Syria invades, the will have to fight them off without help from us? Is THAT acceptable? We could declare all those mutual defense treaties void.

The United States has shouldered the vast majority of the free world's defense responsibilities since the end of the second world war. Those responsibilities include not only money and equipment, but people; a large number of whom shed blood and thousands lost their lives. I don't know about you, but I'm ready for someone else to take over. I think I have a new mantra: "American troops for American defense."

June 1, 2010 at 2:42 p.m.

• I don't really know but I am convinced that several supertankers could suck up the oil and water,clean it up,keep the oil and return the water but I 'm not sure it is on the list of "things to do."..That's for the commissioners,BP, & the Coast guard cmdr. to figure out.

June 1, 2010 at 2:28 p.m.

• Mike, I think Mexico and one other are helping. Not sure about the second one. So, would that not leave 15 that could at least provide some sort of assistance now? Clean up and things like that would be great don't ya think? But alas, we do not need what they have...

All the while it is hurricane season again. I just hope if one comes it is to our west of the spill. If it comes from the east, I hope you like 10-30W catfish.

June 1, 2010 at 2:22 p.m.

• The US accounts for 41% of the world's defense spending and 23% of the US Budget (The largest item).

It is the perennial problem of sitting "at the top of the tree" as the worlds only military superpower- you have to keep spending to maintain that status because of fear of the alternative. I think the US has to think smarter than this (it is in the process of doing so) and finally put to bed the old post WW2/Cold War era ethos.

There are plenty of nations out there with smart defense budgets who face great threats (proportionately) and even the second largest spender - China only spend's half as much by GDP than the US does,

It's food for thought and I think Secretary Gates is doing a great being firm with congress about needed cuts.

June 1, 2010 at 2:13 p.m.

• Hictoria
    It's 17 countries and the reasons we refused is because they did not have what we need at this time but they may be able to help in the future...Trivia!

June 1, 2010 at 2:05 p.m.

• A couple more things. Wayward

1. I think you will see us telling the Europeans and Asians to pick up more of the load for terrorism that is closer to their back yard…Why do I think that? Because the withdraws from Iraq & Afghanistan are firm….Obama is not a hawk.
    2. You are saying what the military has been saying for years but we have a debt problem and they are part of it.

June 1, 2010 at 2:02 p.m.

• Additionally, he has refused help from more than 15 countries...

Too much help is worse he says......BLAH BLAH BLAH

June 1, 2010 at 1:52 p.m.

• Why did the anointed one wait 37 days before finally taking "responsibility"?

Easy answer: Because he has no clue about drilling and was hoping it would of been stopped by now. Secondly, BP funded him long before this happened, so he was giving them time hoping he did not have to shell out any money to help get it resolved. Instead, he "preaches" about alternative fuels by way of solving the issue at hand.

I CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE HIM LEAVE OFFICE!

June 1, 2010 at 1:51 p.m.

• Waywardwind

The first good suggestion coming from the deficit & debt reducing committee, is to audit the defense department; Robert Gates has identified huge (millions perhaps billions of waste) expenditures that can be cut without hurting the efficiency of the 21st century defense department...We are at a point where we have to dismantle the old Holy Grails.

In all due respect you are going after selected pennies instead of the big bucks...We already spend more than 5 of our competitors combined.on war trinkets..Remember the deficit & debts don't have a bias....It's all $$$$$$.

June 1, 2010 at 1:46 p.m.

• Mike..."I am for cutting entitlements as soon as equal cuts are made in defense spending."

I'm not trying to start a fight here, but why do defense budgets need to be cut in order for entitlements to be cut? The US government -- and this is NOT a slam against BO -- has determined that the we will be the world's policeman.

The US Army has fewer than 1.5 million troops and the Marine Corps is slightly under 200,000. Our Navy, which historically has been the service of choice when "showing the flag" is down to under 300 ships and fewer than 200 of those are combat vessels. The Air Force has something over 5,500 airplanes, of which only some 2,100 odd are combat planes and many of those are wearing out. This administration has killed the production of the world beater F-22.

The world is a dangerous place and getting more so. We are engaged in two combat operations in the middle east. Russia has been rattling its sabers. North Korea torpedoed and sank a South Korean naval vessel. Israel has a blockade in place against Gaza supply vessels and over the weekend attacked a ship that tried to run the blockade. There are pirates attacking shipping in the area of the horn of Africa. Our military is deployed literally around the world and it is streched mighty thin. This is NOT the time to be cutting defense budgets.

We could eliminate all forign aid. That would help. It's not a huge percentage of the budget, but it would be a start. When the earth quakes or typhoons and hurricanes strike, perhaps the affected countries can ask for help from France or Russia. I'm not familier with the entire entitlement budget, but there must be some places where cuts can be made. Perhaps Congress can trim some of it's junketing overseas and cut back on staff. Yeah, right! I know THAT'S gonna happen.

June 1, 2010 at 1:34 p.m.

• Holly1

The Bushies are wearing their feelings on their sleeves because it is quite evident that the MMS has been lax in their oversight for over a decade, leading to this disaster. Did the administration correct those flaws in a reasonable time period? I don't know but two in leadership have resigned and several employees disciplined. You are right, democrats & republicans have opposing views on off shore drilling.

I am not that bullish on voters; especially low information ones...The voters will not get anything done until we have real campaign finance reform...Too much lobbyist money in politics...Entitlements are 62% of our budget ,21% is for defense spending; good luck with the remaining 17%...What are you going to cut? If you are not going to cut those or raise taxes; voters are no better than the politicians...Until then “smaller government, less taxes” is just another sound bite without any teeth.

Reasonable people have said Social Security could be made solvent in a couple of days; it’s Medicare that really needs overhauling.
    Playing merry-go-round politics will not change a thing....We need to change the system not necessarily the people.

June 1, 2010 at 11:48 a.m.

• VBB
    It's been awhile since you have commented on my blog but this weekend you(for lack of a better phrase) unloaded with both barrels over some trivia. I don't know if you were trying to align with BOS or you're one of the same.

I consider ideology.... Groups think.... meaning if you are a liberal you're supposed to always align yourself with the environmentalist, antiwar crowd, and always for some kind of government aid. I'm on the record in this formum saying that it is time we start weaning ourself off affirmative action programs, allow nuclear energy as part of the overall alternative energy plan, rethink a school voucher system, and as soon as economy shows a certain recovery; we need to start implementing fiscal restraint. I am for cutting entitlements as soon as equal cuts are made in defense spending.

I'm a partisan democrat because I am in favor of the current platform. It is a diverse party with conservatives, liberals, progressives and moderates being at the forefront of policy making...i.e. Conservative democrats dominated the healthcare battle.

Those are my definitions of the difference between a partisan democrat and one who the finds himself by ideology.
    BTW You need to update your talking points because taxes are at an all time low; in fact they are as low as they were in president Truman's era.

Amid complaints about high taxes and calls for a smaller government, Americans paid their lowest level of taxes last year since Harry Truman's presidency, a USA TODAY analysis of federal data found.

June 1, 2010 at 10:24 a.m.

• The fact is that there is no set mold for anyone, be it Conservative, Liberal, or Independent.

May 31, 2010 at 9:22 p.m.

• OH WOW, now I think everyone is racist who didn't vote for President Obama. Gee, I'm glad I have you to tell me how I think. I would have never known.
    Of course, you are dead wrong, but that's besides the point, I guess.

May 31, 2010 at 9:20 p.m.

• Keep your pity Born.....liberals call anyone who didn't vote for BO racists....shoes on the other foot, guess its pinching.

May 31, 2010 at 8:54 p.m.

• But see BigJ, you paint me the same as all Republicans. How are you then any different than me?

May 31, 2010 at 8:51 p.m.

• I personally am pretty conservative but think death threats made against anyone are abhorrant and should be punished to the fullest extent possible by law. Made from the left or the right wings of our society they are uncalled for and evil in nature and show the ignorence behind them.

I do have to say this about President Obama though I do finally have a wee bit of respect for him as he finally admitted that he made a mistake even though he still is blaming bush for his attitude on off-shore drilling as the cause of this mess. It is obvious that the DEMS and REPUBs will always see this issue from very distant viewpoints. I think both sides need to sit down TOGETHER and work out the best way to do both without harm to nature or the economy. One thing I have observed in the last 2 years is this Without real and meaningful debates aimed at fixing the problems with any issue there will be no real progress made at all. It is time for both sides to wake up and do whats best for America. The healthcare reform passed this year is a prime example of this. It spends way to much money for very little actual improvement and both sides came away looking to the people as out of touch and not willing to listen to the peoples anger. In my opinion this November Both parties will be in for a major shock as the voters will toss many of them from both parties into the street and what we will end up with is a more middle of the road govt hopefully willing to work with each other to actually get something done. In truth both parties have lost touch with mainstream america but will start to see the writing on the wall. Americans as a whole want to see the problems we have fixed with out massive increase in govt or in taxes. The voters will also demand that both parties revisit Healthcare reform and rework the monster passed earlier this year to a form more in line with what the people want. Which is less government control and real cost reductions

We are standing at the threshold of real progress if both parties climb down from their high-horses and really meet somewhere in the middle on the issues. The main thing the voters are looking for is for both sides to abandon the extremes and take the best parts from each side to reach the best outcome for everyone.

May 31, 2010 at 8:20 p.m.

• VBB,

Are you talking to me? Of course you ARE the expert on the subject. Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better about yourself.
    You know what they say about people that continually cast judgement on other people. Dang, I think I feel sorry for you.

May 31, 2010 at 7:51 p.m.

• It makes you an elitist racist liberal....but to put it more succintly...a hypocrite.

May 31, 2010 at 7:46 p.m.

• www.

Like I believe you.

May 31, 2010 at 12:13 p.m.

• Writein...Ahhhh. That's what I thought. By the way, I didn't do it.

May 31, 2010 at 9:39 a.m.

• WWW.

Its means you are suspect too.

May 30, 2010 at 9:52 p.m.

• Born2Bme.

Good point, some people need to be ashame of themselves.

May 30, 2010 at 9:48 p.m.

• VBB,

You are painting with a mighty wide brush. Are all liberals really the same to you? Do they all think exactly the same way?
    Are all conservatives the same? Do they all think the same way about everything?
    Wow. I never knew everything was that black and white. Just think, I'm a Liberal and don't agree with amnesty. Hmm, does that make me something other than a Liberal?

May 30, 2010 at 9:45 p.m.

• Code

Amen....Amen

May 30, 2010 at 9:34 p.m.

• If I were to use blanket statements like "Liberals are the hugest hypocrites I know" I'd probably take a stab at the other end of the ideological spectrum and say something like "Conservatives are the biggest hypocrites I know, who else cons the white rural poor into voting for them only to reward the wealthy?"

But I won't.

;-)

May 30, 2010 at 9:28 p.m.

• VBB.

You made the most ignorant statement thus far. "Liberals are the hugest hypocrites I know." I guess you forgot about Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Limbrugh, and Joe Pags. If you think I am defend Mike, then you are sadly mistaken. If you think I am a liberal, then you are sadly mistaken. Conservatives need to clean up yall’s own house before bashing anyone.

May 30, 2010 at 9:06 p.m.

• BigJ, Mike doesn't hide his political ideology, it says so right on his "about me", he is what he is. Obviously what is good for the goose (him) isn't good for the gander (reps) in his opinion. But being what he is, a flaming liberal, his hypocrisy doesn't surprise me. Liberals are the hugest hypocrites I know.

May 30, 2010 at 4:41 p.m.

• Writein..."Waywardwind.

What about you and other anti-Obama folks on this forum?"

Oooookaaaaayyyy, WHAT about us?

May 30, 2010 at 7:18 a.m.

• VBB.

I guess you didn’t fully read Mike’s last comment. He said. “I deplore a fixed ideology because of its binding affect. I'm not a moderate; more left of center but I can see the advantages of fiscal conservatism. I can't ever be on board with social conservatism because that's more of a culture war.”

Lets not go the Attorney General Holder route.

May 30, 2010 at 3:52 a.m.

• Waywardwind.

What about you and other anti-Obama folks on this forum?

BOsinks

Are you the GOP candidate for Victoria County Judge, just asking?

May 30, 2010 at 3:48 a.m.

• The best quote from this forum by John Lara. “While I don’t agree with President Obama on many, many points, he is by any measure to President Bush Jr. a descent President. He will learn, and those who use him to hide their racism or political biases, do him, the office, and our country a great disservice; because you are taking away blame from BP.”

May 30, 2010 at 3:42 a.m.

• Gore has produced two platinum comedy albums - "The Internet Was My Idea" and "The Planet Has A Fever." Two oldies but goodies.

Frank's "Banking Queen" is one of my favorite comedy albums. He does a great Elmer Fudd impersonation. "Oooooooo, those wascal Wepubwicans!"

May 30, 2010 at 12:51 a.m.

• Top two Democratic comedians:

1. Al Gore
    2. Barney Frank

May 29, 2010 at 10:30 p.m.

• Mike said..."When the fiscal conservatives want to pass " trickle down" policies, I'm right there to say it has not worked in the past"

I say when the Dems want the government to step in & fix everything by creating more government programs, entities, etc..& , spend spend spend to "dig us out", I'm right there to say that it has not worked in the past. The difference between "trickle down" policies & tax, spend, tax, spend is the 1st doesn't cost me as much. The tax & spend affects my budget, meaning my ability to pay for the necessities in life, bills, food, gas etc. It actually costs us more & we see less benefit when doing it the leftist way.

May 29, 2010 at 8:40 p.m.

• Mike, how can you "deplore a fixed ideology" when you yourself have a fixed ideology?

May 29, 2010 at 8:18 p.m.

• Mike asked us to..."Name one right wing comedian"
    Answer....Jay Leno

May 29, 2010 at 8:17 p.m.

• And, no, I don't have multiple aliases.

As I said before, I have a life and don't have time to spend hours in this forum or any other.

BTW, in your last post, you improperly used the word "affect." Should have been the noun "effect."

A person of your intellectual magnitude and journalistic excellence should know this.

May 29, 2010 at 11:36 a.m.

• Mike,

Of course I knew you weren't making a literal assumption that I beat my wife.

The thing about you libs is you think you have cornered the market of intellectual thought and resort to name-calling (tea baggers) and condescending remarks (like your last post directed at me) when challenged on issues.

I would gladly stack my credentials against yours and debate you in this forum or any other on the issues.

There is one thing you should fear, however, and that is November.

May 29, 2010 at 11:29 a.m.

• Holein1
    I deplore a fixed ideology because of its binding affect. I'm not a moderate; more left of center but I can see the advantages of fiscal conservatism. I can't ever be on board with social conservatism because that's more of a culture war. When the fiscal conservatives want to pass " trickle down" policies, I'm right there to say it has not worked in the past. When fiscal conservatives want to cut entitlements and welfare; I say fine but let's also cut defense spending.

I think the political waters have been muddied recently with the Republican Party taking far right positions and the democrats struggling because our party is more diverse. The conservative democrats in the south will run against the administration, so that doesn't bode well for the future. I don't think it's about guns,God, abortion and yesteryear's arguments.... Today it's about climate change, Health Care, energy policies, financial and immigration reform.... How you feel about those policies determine whether you are a conservative, liberal, progressive, or libertarian...IMO

May 29, 2010 at 9:51 a.m.

• Beck is a DB. I can't stand that guy. O'Rielly...O'STFU. Hannity...brain me with a ball-peen hammer. Rush...dope, irrelevant, airbag, etc.

I am a conservative and these guys really give me the creeps. They don't speak for me. It's like sitting around with your buddies talking about girls and you think they are all like you, but then all of the sudden a couple of them talk about sniffing chicks armpits or something weird like that. You just go, huh? You lost me man.

That doesn't change the way I feel about entitlement projects, fiscal policy, etc.

One thing I can't seem to understand about the GOP. How does a party that cares so much about keeping the government small and out of our back yard, seem to think it's ok for them to get involved in religion, birth control, abortion or anything else that suits them? We'd be much better off if we told the religious right to practice a little Christian compassion and take a long hike.

May 28, 2010 at 7:32 p.m.

• "You don't go after Chelsea Clinton, you don't talk about the Bush kids," Beck said Wednesday....

Right wingers are not that funny...Name one right wing comedian?...Now some things they take for fact are pretty funny.

May 28, 2010 at 3:46 p.m.

• In a gyroscope-esque moment best described as hijacking somebody else's blog to post not directly related but ideologically similar material, I think Glenn Beck is deserving of an Elephant sized tranquilizer chill pill given his recent poor showing at imitating Obama's daughter:

May 28, 2010 at 3:23 p.m.

• BOS
    "When was the the last time you beat your wife" is a rhetorical question that I thought Writein was asking... I thought everyone knew that was not to be taken literally. It's supposed to describe a loaded question when the facts are supposed to be known by the questionnaire. ...Never mind;I thought everyone knew that.

I used the word "fear" to mean I am not afraid to tell you what I think,so I don't need to skirt any issue...Paranoid?

May 28, 2010 at 3:11 p.m.

• Mike,

Why would you insinuate that I am trying to strike fear in you or anyone else, for that matter? Are you that paranoid?

May 28, 2010 at 3:08 p.m.

• BOS said

"Mike,
    One more "talking point."

How can you say BO should take no blame in the BP spill when his MMS inspected the specific rig and gave it a safety award just a few months ago?

Lol.... You Gotta be kidding.

In the first place I never said that president Obama should not share in the blame and if you scroll down a few posts you will see where I said he said that he made mistakes and will make more. He admitted that yesterday at the press conference.

You need to get more familiar with the Minerals Management Safety scandals in the last decade and then you might be able to understand why a safety award is of little consequences. I guess you think the president signs off on every little safety award the various departments dole out. Where do you get this trivia from?

Do you have multiple aliases? You are a new poster (supposedly) but one of your first post was on my blog and you seem to be commenting on things I've said in the past.

May 28, 2010 at 2:56 p.m.

• BOS
    Don't confuse me with anyone's opinions or actions; I am more direct because I certainly don't fear you.
    If you read my post, I said I was surprised that this happened in Victoria. I never insinuated anyone in this forum would stoop that low but I was surprised that one poster seemed to condone it.

Don't ever assume that I condone violence of any type to prove a political point.
    "
    The "Hannity monologue was just a metaphor; I could've easily substituted Beck,Rush or Fox News in describing your partisan tirade.

May 28, 2010 at 2:43 p.m.

• Mike,

One more "talking point."

May 28, 2010 at 2:36 p.m.

• Sorry Writein, I actually have a life, so I don't spend all day monitoring online chatrooms.

Let's see, where was I the night on May 25, 2010? Oh yeah, now I remember ... NONE YOUR DAMN BUSINESS!

If you're inferring, even in jest, that I may have had something to do with the grafitti on the road, you are 1) incredibly naive to think that I am the only person displeased with this administration, and 2) a Joe Friday wannabe.

I would never call BO a "comie." Marxist socialist? Yes. "Comie?" Not yet.

I also wouldn't wish anyone dead. And, sorry, Mike, I don't beat my wife, either.

So, Mike, when the left-wing nutjobs here in the U.S. were burning effigies of Bush and saying he should be executed as a war criminal (wishing him death), I'm sure you were claiming that "dissent is a constitutive virtue of democracy" and these actions were OK, right?

BTW, I don't listen or watch Hannity. You must since you know his "talking points."

May 28, 2010 at 2:33 p.m.

• John
    While I don't agree that in this situation" stuff just happens" because BP said they had a plan for the worst case scenario...They lied... When you drill in in deep water and lives, the environment, and the livelihoods of others are at stake; you better have a plan for the worst case scenario.

It seems like the plan now is to give BP 48 more hours to stop the leak.What then? The president should give us the answer in a short while but I would hope he would make it a military operation, so we would have someone in charge to acquire all the skimmers available to clean up the oil sludge that is embedded in the marshes. No more collateral damage attitudes.

Right now it is very hard to see something good coming out of this disaster but this should be a wake up call for those that want to stay on fossil fuels such as coal and oil ;just because it's cheap. How much did that recent mining incident cost us? How much will the BP disaster cost us?

The recent defense supplement will be about $60 billion for Afghanistan and Iraq... Where is the tea party complaining about the deficit and the debt? Oh I forgot it's all about food stamps and the bailouts.

May 28, 2010 at 2:32 p.m.

• Thank you very much Carolee...... I'm still a President George W. Bush critic but I will always stop short of scrawling hateful messages or even contemplating death threats. I really don't know anyone that ever went that far.

May 28, 2010 at 2:04 p.m.

• Mike, you hit the nail on the head when you wrote, "Hate is not a strategy." It accomplishes nothing but the deterioration of relations between opposing groups.

I too was taken aback by the way that an occurrence which should have been universally disgusting (the graffiti) was used by some as an excuse to complain about the President. I don't understand how some people can be so hateful. I didn't agree with the Bush administration's position on, well, anything, but if someone had scrawled "Kill Bush" somewhere, I would have been disgusted. Dehumanizing those who don't agree with us is the first step down a dangerously slippery slope. We all need to try a little harder to remember our humanity, I think.

Thanks for the thoughtful post!

May 28, 2010 at 1:52 p.m.

• This is the real world, sometimes there is no amiable way to solve a problem, that is why they are called “hard choices”.

Like President George Bushes response to 9/11, there really is no analytical play book, that takes into consideration every contingency, in freaking detail.

Beyond the initial reaction, there is room for debate. President Obama, has taken reasonable action, in response to the situation; “There is no, make everyone happy or even save everyone’s lively hood scenario sometimes”.

Bp, is responsible for this, not President Obama; “100% of the blame for this, is on BP”.

Every conflict or problem, of this magnitude, must be handled in the same way as war or business; through analysis and deductive reason. You don’t send the troops out, without first gathering intelligence and testing case scenarios on the most efficient and least costly response.

Regardless, as to the best intelligence or response, there are always going to be causalities; because no one, NOT EVEN the SELF IDIOLIZED, SELF ASSUMED GOD OF AL THAT IS RIGHT “HAMINTEA“.

Today BP, tomorrow Exelon, something to think about with 100’s of nuclear power plants wanting to be built.

May 28, 2010 at 12:49 p.m.

• Well yeah, that seemed to be a uncomfortable moment for the president.

The question about the war Afghanistan also seemed strange, totally unrelated as to what the press conference was intended to be about. But a easy answer for the President.

May 27, 2010 at 6:28 p.m.

• Writein wonders..."BIO Sinks.

Where were you on the night of May 25, 2010?"

Why do you care about that? According to a couple of posts on the thread that is about the message on the street, it's been there for more than a year. I'm not sure WHY it's being reported now, but I'd say BOStinks is in the clear on this one.

May 27, 2010 at 6:15 p.m.

• I think the administration is trying to tip toe around the 1990 Oil Pollution Act ,where the Coast Guard CMD. can take complete charge if he deems it necessary.

They want BP to pay & help.

I thought the president not knowing Minerals Management Service (MMS) Director Elizabeth Birnbaum resigned from her position today was strange...He was asked if she was fired ,again he did not know?Huh?

I'm pretty sure Sestek answer was from WH counsel advice.

May 27, 2010 at 5:43 p.m.

• Ohh, ok, took me a minute to figure out why BigJ asked that Question.

Mike, your response clarified the why.

On the graffiti subject, it just goes to show that idiots are everywhere. Wrong, just wrong, but the message itself can be interpreted several ways, the culprit might be a "comie" and was signing his name, or he could have been directing a "comie" to kill O, ..... nah we all know what it means.

The President said the best thing he could, that the federal government does not have any expertise, equipment, or personal better than the oil companies have to cap a oil well.

The "Sestek", answer, we will all hear the official explanation.

May 27, 2010 at 5:18 p.m.

• Writein
    I know it's probably a "tongue in cheek" question but that's like asking someone "When was the last time you beat your wife?"....:-)

May 27, 2010 at 4:44 p.m.

• I guess BOsinks won't answer my question. Where were you on the night of May 25, 2010?

May 27, 2010 at 4:38 p.m.

• BOS

Your post reads like a Sean Hannity monologue,just a lot of trivia matter that does not have anything to do with the BP spill... If he was camped out on a coast guard vessel for 37 days, you would say he should've been elsewhere because he was just getting in the way..... Oh I understand partisan politics; I play that game every day.

In the four years I have been in this forum, I used to ask if there was a statute of limitations on Bill Clinton because the Bushies would always blame Clinton. That was eight years; the Bush mistakes are still very much with us.

I thought he answered a question on "Sestek" dead on, when he said he give an answer to the American people in the very near future; not weeks or months.... In the meantime before someone else brings it up, you should read about all the presidential favors throughout our history. Major Garrett was looking for that " gotcha" answer Sarah Palin complains about.

To some, anything contradictory to Fox News is media bias....It was an excellent news conference and the media asked some tough & fair questions.....I've seen the Dick Cheney & President Bush interviews on Fox and you have the gall to cry "media bias."...lol

May 27, 2010 at 3:05 p.m.

• BIO Sinks.

Where were you on the night of May 25, 2010?

May 27, 2010 at 2:53 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

May 27, 2010 at 2:37 p.m.

• Don't know if you watched the same news conference as I did, Mike.

Sure, BO continued the "buck stops here" grandstanding bravado, but only after taking numerous jabs at the Buah administration during news conference.

Same old blame game. The guy will blame Bush until his first and only term expires. It also shows you how out of the loop he is or how much of a liar he is when he said he didn't know whether the MMS director resigned or was fired.

The fact is, BO's administration dragged its feet early during the spill, underestimated its effects on the environment, tried to play catch-up and the Democrat party will suffer severe political ramifications (and rightfully so) in November.

While millions of gallons of oil spewed into the gulf each day, BO played golf (twice), went on a nature hike for the weekend with his wife, entertained the Mexican president to a lavish state dinner, shot lots of hoops, and will honor Paul McCartney this Memorial Day and take the weekend off in Chicago.

Also, BO's 1,200 National Guard personnel will be sitting behind desks and not patrolling the border after Calderon voiced his displeasure with BO's decison to send troops to Arizona.

As far as the news conference, BO tap-danced around the Sestak question, of course. Bash Fox News all you want, but Major Garrett was the only reporter there who asked BO the tough questions.

I guess libs prefer Helen Thomas' softball question about the war in Afghanistan. I especially loved it when she pleaded BO not to repeat the same old "Bushism" comments about the war.

There's no political bias in the media. Right.

May 27, 2010 at 2:17 p.m.

• "We should not let the 20% that have to rely on barbaric methods,to rule the day."

I agree, Mike. BO and the rest of his Chicago-style political thugs should be run out of D.C.

May 27, 2010 at 1:58 p.m.

• Rollingstone
    I just finished watching the hour-long press conference with the president.... He admitted he made mistakes and will probably make more mistakes but he said "I take responsibility. It is my job to make sure this thing is shut down." In the news conference he said corporation between the Federal government,BP, and other experts in the field has been there since day one.... If BP would have been more upfront with their information and released access to video ,of the oil spillage rate, in real time; just maybe the damage might not have been as great.

I still don't know why the supertankers weren't summoned for the spill..... I imagine in 2 0r 3 years someone will write to tell all book.

May 27, 2010 at 1:40 p.m.

• TheTolerantGuy
    I guess I'm naive enough to believe that posters like that are the exception rather than the rule.

May 27, 2010 at 1:25 p.m.

• The blowout on the BP well resulted from a long chain of operating decisions made by BP. Each decision was done to speed completion of the well instead of taking the time to be sure that Mother Nature's laws and regulations were fully complied with. Let me add she's a b1tch and suffers fools rather poorly as BP can now attest.

There is an interesting write in the WSJ on the events that led up to this disaster. Having said this I think Obama could have done himself a service by instead of pointing fingers, he offered to cooperate with BP recognizing they were in a fix. He could have made the navy and coast guard and whoever else available to help keep the oil off the beach - he could have done more and should have in this regard.

May 27, 2010 at 12:47 p.m.

• Very well said, Mike. It was very distressing to read the comments from "patriot08", regurgitating all that "birther" hate. Man, there just can't be people like that here in Victoria, can there?

May 27, 2010 at 12:14 p.m.