Comments

• justataxpayer

Lol.... I'm just a lowly poster but if I was a representative, I would tell you to follow through with your ultimatum.... Remember what shutting down the government did to Newt Gingrich and the republicans.. It got four more years for Bill Clinton... Shutting down the government should always be off the table because Social Security, Medicare, and veterans would be hurt in a partisan dispute.

I think we've had several years of open discussion on the items that you mentioned but they may not be the most important issues of today. As I have said many times before, the bipartisan commission on reducing the deficit would be a good starting point and then a thorough discussion on Afghanistan.... After we reduce unemployment to a reasonable point and GDP goes from 2 to 4%; we could tackle those issues you mentioned.

I still have a lot of faith in the Congressional Budget Office estimates, so if republican ideas are doable; I'm all for it.

November 3, 2010 at 11 a.m.

• Born...You're absolutley correct. The next campaign cycle will begin on Wednesday. Politicians are concerned only with being re-elected. There's not a statesman in the bunch that I can see. Well, maybe Ron Paul, but there are folks who don't like him because he figures the Constitution should count for something. You're right, too, about the country becoming third world -- heck, we're IMPORTING a large part of it and financing them. I've known it was coming for a long time, but when the federal courts this year told Arizona they couldn't enforce their laws, I knew it had finally happened. The country is, I believe, doomed and won't see it's 300th birthday -- at least as anything we would recognize. I doubt even the name will survive. I'm glad I was around for the good times. I hope I'm not around for the final demise.

November 1, 2010 at 7:42 p.m.

• I hear you archiebonkers2

The president can stop any piece of legislation but is powerless to stop republicans if they want to subpoena records or not fund Health Care, the remaining stimulus funds, or any other ongoing projects.... He can use the bully pulpit to try and shame them into doing the right things but in today's environment; I don't think that will work.

November 1, 2010 at 1:17 p.m.

• Of the selected 100 signs:

My favorite was

" If your beliefs fit on a sign....Think harder"

November 1, 2010 at 1:09 p.m.

• It all seemed to be very good natured to me.

November 1, 2010 at 12:53 p.m.

• I am impressed by the witty signs that lack the disparaging tone.

November 1, 2010 at 12:39 p.m.

• I'm trembling in my boots because of the election!

November 1, 2010 at 12:20 p.m.

• Yeah. I thought of you. LOL

November 1, 2010 at 12:10 p.m.

• Rebecca

Yes, I have to agree with you but I was kind of disappointed..:-)

I liked the part where they gave the " keeping the fear" award to NPR,CBS, and other Network affiliates that kept their employees from attending for fear he would make them look like they had a bias..... As my friends on right say" too late for that; roll with it."

November 1, 2010 at 12:02 p.m.

• I was impressed with how the rally seemed to be the opposite of what I expected. I expected or braced for a tit for tat but instead there was a unifying message - poking at extremism and fear. I identify with that. Maybe I found my peeps.

November 1, 2010 at 11:54 a.m.

• Thanks for the link,....KyleC,...CSPAN didn't do a a lot of sign gazing.

Perhaps but the politicians avoided talking about Afghanistan, outsourcing jobs we will never get back, and tomorrow's energy sources on the campaign trail, so I think the 112th congress will be about settling scores and preparing for 2012.... I hope I'm wrong.

November 1, 2010 at 11:53 a.m.

• On a lighter note, Mike - a link to the top 100 signs on display at the Rally to Restore Sanity/and or Fear:

With the estimated 200,000 folks who showed up on Saturday it's clear that many are fed up with the black and white rhetoric that bombards us on a daily basis

Perhaps a near stalemate in power will encourage both sides to actually work together to solve the problems this country is facing?

November 1, 2010 at 11:43 a.m.

• born2Bme

I hear a lot of America wanting this and wanting that because of some polls results.

The only way we can insist that our politicians vote the way the majority wants, is to put the issues on the ballot, instead of the politician.... Then we could run it the way we do the electoral college. The politician would then have to vote the way of the citizens of their state .... We will never do that but it's the only reliable way of knowing of what constituents want as a whole;actual votes.... Some constituents do not want alternative fuels if it's gonna cost them 5 more cents at the pump, some will sacrifice quality education for lower property tax and so forth... I can guarantee that the politician that votes to make cuts in Medicare or Social Security will lose in Florida and those that vote to raise taxes, will lose in the red states..... A whole lot of it, is our own fault.

We have the answers but we want to argue over trivia things and ideology

November 1, 2010 at 11:20 a.m.

• It's getting to where it really doesn't matter who wins. Nothing is going to ever get done that actually helps the average American people anyway. America, as we knew it, will never come back to where it once was because politicians are just worried about themselves and those who help them get elected to protect their monatary interests.
    This country is eroding into a third world nation before our very eyes and all anyone can worry about is beating the other party at election time. The election process is going on every day of every year and not leaving time for effective governing.

November 1, 2010 at 10:57 a.m.