Comments

• I just know that anything that is done by, or thought up by, Republicans will favor Wall Street, the Banking industry and Big Business, and that leaves us little guys to foot the bill. It's never been any other way as long as I can remember.

November 5, 2010 at 2:26 p.m.

• B2BM, there is more to what Bernanke is doing than what we are being told. You will notice that QE-2 has been announced with much fanfare by the Fed. When has this secret society ever done that? This really is a high stakes poker game with the Chinese and the Fed may be bluffing.

The Chinese own close to a trillion dollars of our debt and they hold trillions more of our currency in reserve. Bernanke is using this as leverage to get the Chinese to re-value their currency - that is really what this is about.

If the Chinese become alarmed and start exchanging dollars for yuan then the yuan will rise in value and the dollar will drop and our exports will in theory increase. But more dollars floating around means inflation either way the little guy gets squeezed.

November 5, 2010 at 11:53 a.m.

• It's time for me to start moving what little money I have saved, to a safer place and getting rid of the credit cards. I'll be sitting on what I have and not spending for anything that is not needed. Man I hate tightening the belt up like this, but I will not be trusting the economy for a long time to come.

November 4, 2010 at 11:07 p.m.

• Interest rates may not go lower but inflation will go higher. When the inflation rate is higher than the interest rate the actual rate is negative - it pays to borrow money.

It's like pouring gasoline on a fire. But once there is a whiff of inflation in the air and everyone gets a sniff - it smell like manure, then interest rates and prices will start increasing. It's really not an easy thing to control because there is a big lag time and it is pretty explosive once it takes hold.

I keep hearing, "this has never been tried before." Whoever says that must not have been around when Carter was President. But things are a little different now because the government controls so much banking now with home mortgages and student loans and no telling what else.

In Carter's administration it led to stagflation, declining stock market, high interest rates, high unemployment. I remember interest rates on US saving bonds were in double digits. Back then taxes were automatically increased because inflation pushed everyone into a higher tax bracket.

Inflation lowers everyone's income in relation to prices - we become poorer. There are two cures for high inflation, a recession or a collapse of the currency - something to look forward to.

November 4, 2010 at 9:50 p.m.

• Writein

I don't think that many people pay any attention to Holly1... He's always for lowering everyone's wages but I wonder if he's ever gone up to his boss requesting that his wages be cut to strengthen the dollar..lol .....I wonder how popular he would be if his coworkers knew that he thinks they should be making starvation wages, so the company store can prosper.... That's classic supply side trickle down economics'..... He wants to go back 100 years?.. That's before women had a right to vote, civil rights legislation, and lord knows all the great strides we took to become a civilized nation.

The only way in I will ever take him seriously is if he backs up all his theories with actual numbers... Show me the numbers not some pie- in -the- sky theories...i.e. He wants to cut everyone's wages to ~$4.00 an hour saving the company X amounts and the workers will be able to afford shelter automobiles and food because the private sector will follow suit in lowering their prices....lol...The Adam Smith " invisible hand" theory.

BTW Those posters are still around, using their one trick pony trying to divert all topics back to the wedge issues that they are most comfortable with..... I know you're young and still have a lot of fight in you but in I'm giving up trying to have a civil discussion with them because they have so much emotional hate, they look pass any facts I try to present. I'm just wasting my time because that wall is not penetrable..... I have my faults but I think I can have a civil discussion with the anyone that wants one.

November 4, 2010 at 5:37 p.m.

• Mike.

This is why I refuse to congratulate local conservatives. I have a long memory. I remember the next day after 2008 election, you had people on this forum making statements about succeeding Texas from the Union, when Matt Ocker calling me a Marxist, or when a few poster made code word talk about a group.
    I tell you one thing 2012 will be shocking year in the crossroads area.

November 4, 2010 at 5:17 p.m.

• Holly1.

Do not insult my intelligence and that of other posters. You said that there was no national debt in 1910? The only time the national debt was paid off was in 1835. The Year before Texas became a republic. You are the Sharon Angle of the VICAD Forums. Let’s not forget months ago you blame Hispanics for the high drop out rate.

November 4, 2010 at 4:58 p.m.

• arlewill

I don't know if it's bad news or good news but the Dow raised about 220 points because of the Fed's $600 billion stimulus..... True. it lowered the value of the dollar sending oil prices to about $86.03 a barrel but if we have too strong of a dollar, who would be able to buy our goods?... It's a vicious economic cycle, which is hard to explain.... Retail sales are up meaning the holidays might be profitable for the retailers ,so it's a trade-off.... A risky one I grant you.

Someday, when I know all the details we will discuss Bernancke's plan to increase inflation.This is just a small part but I am going to have to dust off the old books to understand what he's trying to do.

" Ben Bernanke: The FOMC is prepared to provide additional accomodation if needed to support the economic recovery, and to return inflation, over time, to levels consistent with our mandate.

To translate if I might: additional accomodation means the Fed's going to push interest rates even lower. Getting inflation consistent with their mandate actually means getting prices higher.

I must be having mental block because I can't see how the Fed can lower the interest rates any further.

I've trusted Greenspan and look where it got me..:-)

November 4, 2010 at 4:18 p.m.

• "...someone get a keg it's time to celebrate!"

Yes, indeed. Since the election, the stock market is up. Both my wife's and my IRAs have gained more than $1,000 since the election. While I don't expect the surge to last, it's nice now.

November 4, 2010 at 11:31 a.m.

• With all politics aside here, the Fed is doing something that could “be” potently dangerous to the economy. The interest rates on Treasury bonds will be lowered; this will have a big effect on retired individuals that use bonds to supplement there retirement income. It will cause inflation to rise. The stock market is showing signs of that in the commodities market, oil is almost 87 a barrel as of a few minutes ago. The Fed is hoping to sell off the bonds in large volumes. The Fed is printing money with no collateral, the Fed just needs to back off here and do nothing. One reason the Stock market is showing positive signs of not have big sell offs and showing signs of steady gains, which would mean moderate profit for investors. I think we will see food prices go up with in a month or two, that is not good for that house hold budget. General Mills has commented it is going to raise the price of cereal.

November 4, 2010 at 10:19 a.m.

• An epiphany, a great awakening - praise the Lord!

"I wish the government would get out of the home foreclosure business because we're only delaying the inevitable.... 14 million unemployed should be a good indicator of that... Let the housing market go to rock bottom; then the market will determine the fair market price."

And if I may, I would add home mortgages, student loans, subsidies for ethanol and other crap, defense contractor earmarks - I could go on and on, but someone get a keg it's time to celebrate!

November 4, 2010 at 9:24 a.m.

• Writein

It's an old sports habit I've acquired through the years, whether it was playing baseball or managing little league teams... Congratulate your opponent, don't blame the umpires and analyze your mistakes, because there will always be a tomorrow.

I don't know how to answer because I've said time and time again, Texas is a conservative republican state... It's going to remain that way for another 10 more years because the GOP will get to redraw the voting districts to their favor.

The young people did not vote nor did the minorities except in California and Nevada... 2012 will be a different year and the goal should be to try and regain the 69 million that voted for president Obama.... I think we will have slow steady growth but unemployment will still be high in 2012.

Think about it...When the democrats won in 2006 and 2008 did the conservative posters congratulate them? Quite the opposite many said they were conservatives not republicans,now they have come back to embrace the GOP,which they never left in the first place.

November 4, 2010 at 9:22 a.m.

• Holly1

I don't know why bother to answer because we are on different planets. You have more of a wish list based on your ideology and personal beliefs. You throw math out the window.

You want to start off by adding $4 trillion to the debt but looking through your laundry list of spending cuts, I don't see an equal amount of cuts..Basic math should tell you that 14 million unemployed will bring in less payroll taxes to fund Social Security.... Now starting January 1 of next year, your scheme calls for less revenues by gradually exempting the younger workers. I guess you didn't know that 75 million baby boomers will be eligible for Social Security in three years.... Any logical person would make sure that the current Social Security System is solvent before considering any method of privatizing. Any funds used for privatizing takes away from the funds used to sustain the current program..... I believe I'll stick with professionals and the bipartisan commission because they have a track record.... Social Security has been revived before and economists know it can be done again using means testing, raising the retirement age, and raising the cap..... I noticed you didn't want to tackle Medicare which is more troublesome but it can't be tied to Wall Street nor is there any real effort to privatize it, so it doesn't interest conservative republicans.

You're one of those persons that I can never have a serious dialogue with because of all the emotional interest you invest into your logic.... You're free to post your ideas and thoughts but it's a complete waste of our time to think we could ever have a good give and take dialog.

Have a good one

November 4, 2010 at 9:05 a.m.

• arlewill

You're a breath of fresh air; finally someone is looking at the bigger picture rather than the old wedge issues of the past.... That last move by the Fed scared me because that is their last gasp effort to revive this economy; there are no more bullets in the gun. let's hope inflation is not a byproduct of Bernancke's efforts.

I don't know what it's going take for them to see consumers maxed out the credit cards, so they don't really have dispensable cash to spend. Wall Street Banks are telling the Fed thank you very much for the low interest loans(near zero interest) but we're still not going extend credit to small business....CEOs are telling everyone that they will not hire back all those they were laid off,even when demand picks up. We don't have the same business and consumer practices of 2007.

I agree that we must make the business environment more compatible with the rest world but our methods might differ..... I believe we need to renegotiate our trade treaties because we can not sustain trade deficits with 90 countries. We do need a manufacturing base but not the same old ones were it is impossible to compete with extraordinary low wages... If government has a role, they should invest in companies(tax incentives) research and development for the next new innovation.... We are going to pay for that next few innovation one way or other.

November 4, 2010 at 8:41 a.m.

• Arewil, my point about WWII and the Depression is that we did not need a world war to end the Depression and we do not need a war to end this recession.

The Depression and this recession have lingered because of government policies creating an unstable foundation for business and enterprise to grow and prosper.

Things are so screwed up now it will take a large effort to get rid of all the crap that has been piled on us and to get back to the business of our country which is business.

November 4, 2010 at 8:12 a.m.

• Mike
    Yesterday, the Federal Reserve embarked on a second plan to help the economy. The first plan pumped 300 billion dollars into the economy and the second plan is to pump 600 billion to one trillion dollars into the economy. The Fed refers to this action as "quantitative easing" or QE1 and QE2 but the bottom line for the country is they are printing a lot of money by buying their own Treasury Bills. The effect makes our money worth less and reduces our purchasing power. It will also increase the price of crude oil and reduce the value of our currency with other nations in an effort to reduce our trade deficit.
    Some of the comments to your blog today are what got me started to thinking about this. I was born after the Great Depression and before WWII. I do believe the long recovery following the Great Depression ended with WWII because a side effect of the war created a manufacturing giant in the world, the U.S.A. The war transformed our Country from an agricultural, low tech nation into the most powerful manufacturing country in the world.
    I do not believe that history will ever repeat itself for this era. The U.S.A. was shielded from the horrors of war by the distance and oceans that separated us from the rest of the world.
    Since WWII, manufacturing has left our Country and is continuing to leave for other nations where businesses are treated more favorably.
    If this Country wants manufacturing to return then we should begin by making our business enviornment more competitive with the rest of the world.

November 4, 2010 at 7:44 a.m.

• The plain hard truth is that EVERYONE needs to bear the coming pain EQUALLY until we get our house back in order.

November 4, 2010 at 7:09 a.m.

• I used the last 100 years because 100 years ago there was no national debt then. Not any of the 100 or more taxes now in place either or any of the entitlements. Back to when the govt in Washington only passed laws to ensure uniformity of state laws and defended our boarders . Granted due to tech advancement some laws controlling food, medicines and regulating of banks and such things will still be needed

November 4, 2010 at 7:02 a.m.

• Are those 2 laws really the federal govt's power or should that be legislated at the state level with federal law passed to only ensure nation wide uniformity of all the states laws on these issues.

These are issues of morality more than legality.

November 4, 2010 at 6:36 a.m.

• Not in the least it is just my take on the election and a possible fix to the problem. The dollar is overvalued right now thats why it's cheaper to out source jobs We need to lower wages and prices on everything back to it's real level and bring back all those jobs.

November 4, 2010 at 6:28 a.m.

• Holly1.

Let me add on to my reply to your rant.

What do you mean by “Finally go back through the last 100 years of laws and get RID of all the ones that are not set forth as a power of the federal govt. plainly in the constitution and repeal ALL unfounded mandates giving these powers back to the states where they belong. “

I guess you guess agree with Senator-elect Rand Paul’s views about the Civil Rights Bill of 1964 or Walter Williams views about repealing Child Labor laws?

Let also add the 38.8 precent of Victoria voters actully voted in this year's election.

November 4, 2010 at 6:27 a.m.

• Holly1.

Nice Chest beating.

November 4, 2010 at 6:11 a.m.

• Another thing. This country needs to man up and tighten the belt a few notches. I keep hearing how other countries are keeping their money value low but I think that is bull puckey. Ours is artificially high. Made that way by minimum wage laws and union pay scales being to high and way to many dollars in the money supply making the dollar worth about 60 cents or less in real value. this also equates to a $100,000.00 house today really worth only around $50-60,000.00 . Which is just what the housing market is showing us now by dropping an average of 29% nation wide.

November 4, 2010 at 6:03 a.m.

• mike

I think it was not as much support for the GOP as it was a lack of support for Pres. Obama's agenda. The people spoke out against obamacare but the DEMs did not listen so the people threw the DEMs out. No party has taken such a beating since the 30's or 40's and it is the first time since either the 50's or 60's that the democrats have had less than 200 rep's in the house. But the GOP better listen to the voters or they will get tossed out as well. The people want Obama-care REPEALED IT"S a monster that will chew up money with out end. Cap and trade is now DEAD as is all his other liberal spending plans. The people spoke to both parties they want this crap fixed and fixed right with out all the back room deals and political non sense of the past 2 years. The democrats got what they deserved for being arrogant and for not hearing the uproar from the people.

The first thing to be done will be the gop extending the bush tax cuts ( i supported this a while back but think only some of them should be extended (made permanent) now the higest levels should get only some of it back but not all.

All entitlement programs need to be SLOWLY CUT back on by freezing SS and all new workers(18 yr old) starting jan 1st have to know that they will NOT get social security but for 10 years pay in half of the amount now into SS. reduce all others by a percentage until it gets to 50% of today's level in about 10 years. That gives everyone now on welfare and other assistance programs a 10 year notice of loss of income. And new requirements for any new people applying for these kind of benefits if able they will be required to work 40HRS a week like every one else instead of sitting home watching TV and get only minimum wage for their work. no taxes paid from these wages. no extra money for extra kids either. If they don't like that then stay in school get a education and get a better job. Welfare should not be a lifetime handout put TERM limits on them and stick to it

Finally go back through the last 100 years of laws and get RID of all the ones that are not set forth as a power of the federal govt. plainly in the constitution and repeal ALL unfunded mandates giving these powers back to the states where they belong. Repeal income taxes and collect a flat rate sales tax only with no loop holes at all.

November 4, 2010 at 5:37 a.m.

• Congratutlation? Nope. Not for Texas. Not when Rick Perry won another term as governor. I guess TransTexas part 2 is coming to a theater near you. Glenn Hegar won a second term as State Senator, watch when he try to to get Lavaca County into water district in the next year and a half. Geanie Morrison won because no one bothered to run. The Queen of High tutition rates ( With Mayor Will Armstrong) will ruin UHV and create high taxes.

2012 is a different year. I hope and pray that there will be more voters.

November 4, 2010 at 2:41 a.m.

• Amen, sister, Amen!

November 3, 2010 at 9:16 p.m.

• VBB,

Thats kind of my thinking to. People who are so angry about people drawing aid that shouldn't be, need to be placaded somewhat. It will free up that anger to move on to other things. Those in power now, need to listen to what is angering people, and fraud is one of the biggest. Another is the issue that I mentioned earlier. Both are going to have to be dealt with, and rather quickly, or the trust between people and their representatives will not get any better. I don't think anyone wants to see people who are really in need, go without. It is those who are abusing the systems that are causing all of the anger.
    I think if something isn't done to show people improvement in those 2 areas, then the next election will be bad for incumbants again.

November 3, 2010 at 9:14 p.m.

• Hwy Bighorn! How ya been? Ruling class trodding all over the little people in Victoria??!!?? NEVER!

November 3, 2010 at 9:09 p.m.

• Yes, VBB, and even at the local level the new (old) County Judge mentioned that bureacrats are amoungst the first that should be "taken care of". What about HIS EMPLOYERS!! He hasn't even regained office and he's already screwing the taxpayer!

It should speak volumes that even a weak candidate gave him such a "run for his money", but it is clear the arrogant indifference of the ruling class continues, even in Victoria County.

November 3, 2010 at 8:44 p.m.

• Born...will wonders never cease? I was spouting those same sentiments last night to my hubby, who much to my chagrin, responded just as Mike did to you. What I futiley tried to explain to him is addressing such fraud & waste, though a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things, would be a morale booster to the rest of us. Morale is a big motivator. At my work morale is very low, there is a group of department heads & half are expected to come in early, leave late & anticipate any & every ridiculous scenario that could come up at any given time by anyone in the building. On the other hand, the other group is allowed to come in late, leave early, not complete their own duties much less fix the mistakes of others. A couple of people from the former group attempted to follow the actions of the 2nd group & were severely reprimanded. Morale is low & the cracks are showing with resignations flying. It is a sad state of affairs & until the 2nd groups behavior is addressed I don't see any signs of improving. How that relates to us as American tax payers is there is one group who goes out to work every day & produces while the other group feeds off our production. The 1st group is repayed for their loyalty & hard work with tax increases & the 2nd group remains relatively untouched, so to speak. Morale is low in America, the 2nd group needs to be addressed & the 1st group needs to be rewarded in order for morale to improve.

November 3, 2010 at 8:22 p.m.

• Medicare fraud......LOL. Obama turned down an offer by IBM to monitor and control Medicare fraud. This would have saved the government about $100 billion per year or about one trillion dollars over ten years.

According to Obama's budget Medicare is expected to cost about $450 billion this year. This equates to a fraud rate of 22 percent - but WTH who cares, it's not his money!!!!

November 3, 2010 at 6:20 p.m.

• It wasn't a win for either side, it was against government in general. People are sick and tired of the "us against them" politics. They just wanted all new blood, hoping change will happen. Of course, it won't, but we can always hope.

November 3, 2010 at 6:13 p.m.

• I agree with the replacing of the income tax with a sales tax.

First I want to say that I realize that this is not a win for Republicans as much as it is a loss for Democrats. Voters want to be heard, they want their wishes to be addressed. Republicans are the only other choice and seemed to offer a way to alter the course.

Mr. Obama and his team took a beating for doing what they believe to be the right thing. However, according to the American voters, it was not what they, (the voters), consider the right thing. So to try to move along the same path is not going to work for the Democrats, and if they insist, there will be another flushing in 2 years. They need to listen, alter the course, and work along the lines of what the voters want. Along those lines, compromise is going to be possible.

From what I have heard so far, it sounds like Mr. Obama was not listening.

November 3, 2010 at 5:50 p.m.

• born2Bme

Now you're getting the Point I was trying to make.... When we reduce the number of IRS agents, we have more income tax fraud... Silly how that works.

As I'm catching up on political news, I saw where in Oklahoma 70% preempted voted to ban Sharia law in Oklahoma...lol.... It's trivial like that that keeps us from solving the real problems of this great nation. I see where Lamar Smith of Texas who will oversee the House judiciary committee and Darrel Issa of California will chair the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform committee have already mentioned four subpoenas ready to go, for when they take office in January.

I have a lot of catching up to do after my two days of boycotting media politics but I'm beginning to think I didn't miss a thing because all the foolishness is resurfacing, just a day after an election where leaders did offer some hope of bipartisanship.

I'm sticking to a promise I made to myself; I won't criticize the GOP before they take office and I won't write a daily blog, complaining about their policies.

November 3, 2010 at 5:41 p.m.

• Mike...Speaking of abusing the system, your favorite president is going to India and will be costing the taxpayer $200,000,000 a day. He's taking 3,000 of his closest friends on this sightseeing junket along with about 40 airplanes and a navy ship. Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't amount to a great deal, but for a country that's trillions of dollars in debt, I'd like to think the president would be just a touch more considerate about spending money the country doesn't have. This trip will not generate any money coming back to the US from India and amounts to little more than another vacation. Frankly, I'd rather he take Michelle back to NY for dinner and a play. BTW, if they admit to $200 million a day, what do you suppose the REAL cost is?

Then, there's the carbon footprint that this most green of presidents is planting. Forty jet airplanes, a navy ship and at least six armored cars will spew a LOT of CO2. I can't wait till the next time BO starts spouting off about the need to conserve and saving the environment. The hypocrit in chief needs to stay in Washington and work on America's problems rather than taking the family around the world on the American taxpayer's dime.

November 3, 2010 at 5:23 p.m.

• Getting rid of investigators and auditors is what got us into this mess, but I see your point. First things first, right?

November 3, 2010 at 5:22 p.m.

• born2Bme

Instead of beleaguered the point I will list some issues more important than than welfare and disability fraud.

1. The high cost of entitlements and defense spending.
    2. The Oil Spill Commission recently blamed Halliburton for their shortcut taking in the BP spill. Not only is this an enormous cost to our environment, it put many on the gulf coast into poverty. Some will be compensated but their livelihood might be gone forever... What will we do to Halliburton? Will we reward them with another government contract?
    3. Right now we have trade deficits with 90 countries around the world... Is that sustainable?
    4. 15,000,000 people are unemployed and our economic forecasters do not see that changing, anytime soon.
    5. Iraq and Afghanistan
    6. Our unprotected seaports
    7. An aging work force that needs to be retrained for new jobs.
    8. Polarization

This I can rattle off with no trouble at all ,but it is my opinion that we need to leave the social problems alone right now and revisit them after we get this economy going. You think it's part of problem but our economist and legislators don't....Some of it could take place in in comprehensive reform of the entitlement programs.

Have good one

November 3, 2010 at 4:52 p.m.

• born2Bme

The pennies to dollars metaphor I used, was not meant to marginalize waste and and abuse of Federal welfare and disability programs..... I'm just saying that I think we need to concentrate on the big ticket items such as our trade deficits, entitlement, defense spending, and Afghanistan.... The cost to add more layers of bureaucracy to stop the fraud in the programs you mentioned would not be cost productive. The potential violators you mentioned, will have their chance to prove their case in a hearing..... The Secretary of defense vows to cut $100 billion and Medicare will cut Medicare Advantage, saving the taxpayer billions.

Then again I don't have actual data because you did not provide any, to see how many dollars we're talking about.... To simply say they don't care... Is not a valid argument...IMO.. You may be right but it is unsubstantiated. You know that.... That's not to say that we can't have ongoing investigations of fraud and abuse of those programs with a small amount of people we have but like in the BP incident; the bureaucrats are already overwhelmed.. That is not an excuse but a reality.

Remember, the battle cry is to make government smaller, to do that you have to get rid of investigators and auditors.

November 3, 2010 at 4:23 p.m.

• I don't think it amounts to pennies when you take into account that for every child that person has, 100's of $$ each month are involved as well as medical insurance for all involved. Times this by thousands, or more, and it adds up.
    I do personally know a few who were hurt, but healed and didn't report it, but they kept having kids because their check would go up accordingly, along with free healthcare for those kids. The person I am talking about had 6 kids to get more, and this person was white. That is common practice for so many.
    I know another person that was perfectly able to work that did the same thing. They couldn't find a job that paid as much as disability, so they rode that until their death, even though they were perfectly able to perform a job, such as a truck driver. He tried to work and quit because he got mad at a co-worker. I hear people talking about their triumphs all the time. They take great pleasure in riding the government programs.

Can I prove any of it? No, because the people you turn this in to, just don't care.

November 3, 2010 at 4:01 p.m.

• born2Bme

I worked with a lot of people that eventually had to go on disability because they couldn't physically do the job anymore. They looked relatively healthy but they had random back problems, eyesight and hearing was not adequate, and their Vietnam war injuries finally caught up with them. We all used to say that they were faking their injuries but doctors signed the necessary papers, so who am I to argue with the medical profession?.... Later on I learned that they were not able to get a another job to supplement their disability check and Health Insurance was too costly..... This may be only a small sampling but it's all I'm acquainted with...... I don't know many on medical disability and I can't recall a one, but it would not surprise me to know that some are abusing the system..... That's still dealing with pennies, when it's the dollars that we need to go after.... We would have to add layers of bureaucracy to catch all the fraud and no one is interested in doing that.

November 3, 2010 at 3:48 p.m.

• We need to gut those on disability that shouldn't be on disability. I think that may be one of the most abused programs there is. It has come to the point that those programs "have" to be for only those who truly need it, instead of anyone that wants to buck the system for a lifetime. It's become a farce.

November 3, 2010 at 3:28 p.m.

• itisi

Huh?..I don't know who Solomon Ortiz is or what his principles were but you do know we will have another congressional race in two years. Or were just interested in mentioning Nancy Pelosi and congratulating the GOP?

On the other hand several congressional blue dog democrats did not vote for the policies of Nancy Pelosi and voted their principles..Yet ,they lost in conservative districts.

November 3, 2010 at 2:31 p.m.

• born2Bme

Thanks, but the states have to balance their budget and right now they are overburdened with government mandates....Culling the waste and fraud might be a big part of it but states usually drop the safety net programs as a matter of first priority... That's why the stimulus included a lot of state aid, unemployment benefits, and money for teachers, firemen, and law enforcement.

As I continue to say, Social Security can be made solvent with a few easy steps, without gutting those on disability. As you will see when the report comes out Dec. 1,2010.

Medicare is still the biggest problem without any easy answers.... I'm now on Medicare but I am willing to take the cuts necessary to keep this program from being a burden on our budget.

Perhaps I have mellowed out a little too much or my far left liberal side of my brain clouds the logical side of my feeble brain, but I just don't see how those people making less than $80,000 a year want throw the working poor out into the streets to fend for themselves. They see those on welfare being the reason this country is suffering. They don't see that those that were laid off will probably go to the back of the line when it comes to hiring because future employers think something is wrong with them, since they were laid off... Everyone knows that there is fraud and waste in the welfare program but there's more fraud in the Medicare program and defense..... Again, I'm wasting my time pointing this out, because emotional interest will override any facts,I present.

November 3, 2010 at 2:25 p.m.

• not a word more about illegals, it was just a minute part of my statement anyway.

I do, however, think that disability should be seperate because of the fraud and waste that is going on more and more these days. It doesn't matter what history shows, times have changed. It should be separated now as the population explodes and every Tom, Dick, and Harriet goes after the easy money and a way out of work for a lifetime. I know too many people, personally, that do this.
    Say, for instance, turn disability over to the states, with government backing. It makes looking into fraud a little easier if it isn't on such a massive scale. States would have an incentive to cull out the waste and go after fraud, when the government can't, or won't

November 3, 2010 at 1:55 p.m.

• One thing that remains a constant is that some people have so much emotion invested in their believes and ideas that all facts in the world will not change your mind... I know this and I will no longer attempt to to have a dialogue with those people.... It's a waste of my time and theirs.

I'm not always right, and I always make a point to say that, but a lot of my statements come from actual data and credible news sources. There are plenty of times when I have a personal opinion that goes against the grain and popular belief but when I do that, I am usually challenged... That's to be expected.

Hey, if Keith Olbermann can get rid of the " worst person" segment, I can refrain from having stupid arguments that benefit no one.

November 3, 2010 at 1:55 p.m.

• B2BM, I hear yah!

November 3, 2010 at 1:48 p.m.

• “I'm not going to give up my beliefs and principals for the mere sake of having a superficial bipartisan debate.... That would mean I would have to take back all of my previous 3000 or so comments. If I did that, then I would either be a liar or a hypocrite.... Just because someone has a bias; it does not make them wrong. I believe we all have a bias and a agenda but most do not want to admit it for fear being ridiculed or proven wrong.”

If Solomon Ortiz had reflected back on his principles maybe he could have held on to his seat, but he sold out to Nancy Pelosi, and it cost him his 27 year tenure in a solid democratic district in South Texas. Good job GOP!

November 3, 2010 at 1:45 p.m.

• "Bottom line,the GOP will now learn that it's gonna take time to recover from the worst recession since the great depression."

Here is what one liberal, jackass talking head (David Broder) said we should do to end the current recession:

" Look back at FDR and the Great Depression. What finally resolved that economic crisis? World War II.

Here is where Obama is likely to prevail. With strong Republican support in Congress for challenging Iran's ambition to become a nuclear power, he can spend much of 2011 and 2012 orchestrating a showdown with the mullahs.

This will help him politically because the opposition party will be urging him on. And as tensions rise and we accelerate preparations for war, the economy will improve."

dyn/content/article/2010/10/29/AR2010102907404.html

The only problem with this is his statement about WW II ending the depression is absolutely false. From 1933 to the end of 1936 the depression was ending quite nicely on its own. The recovery stopped and a recession began within the Depression because of FDR's policies and help from the Fed. WW II ending the depression is hogwash.

And Broder is truly shameless in trying to prod Obama into a war to solve our economic problems. Once we got in engage he would be the first to withdraw his support - that's the same thing that Sum Beach, Walter Crum-kite did in Vietnam.

November 3, 2010 at 1:42 p.m.

• born2Bme

I'm going to leave your post up for while but but if it wavers off into another immigrant bashing thread; I'm going to delete it.

The 75 million baby boomers going to into the Social Security program is what is going to make adjusting Social Security, not the the aid to disabled families... The Social Security program included them from day one, if you would go back and read a history of Social Security. We've got to remember our grandparents, parents, got more out of Social Security than what they put in. Same way with Medicare, which is in more trouble, because a couple heart attacks, a hip replacement, another expensive procedures are more than the 1.45% contribution they made in a lifetime. The the it used to be a 50:1 ratio now it is 3 to 1 and after all a baby boomers get into Social Security it will be 2 recipients to one worker. That is unsustainable.

Call it what you want but it takes a lot of time to write a blog but it only takes a minute or two to completely change the topic to a pet peeve of YOUR choice.... I don't know why you don't just write your own blog where like minded people can have a ball..... I don't go into the immigrant bashing threads just to repeat the the same old tired arguments.

The reads more like the old Suzy.:-)

November 3, 2010 at 1:39 p.m.

• You can't touch SS for the retirees, but you can do something about the disabled and the families of the disabled. That should not be coming out of SS. There should be a tougher process and more oversight to stop all of the bogus claims. Those who are truly disabled should, of course, be able to get help, but not out of SS. And, there should be a 2 children limit, so women don't keep getting pregnant to get more.
    I know I beat a dead horse with this, but those in our country illegally should get "zero" monatary help of any kind. There are very cheap clinics of every kind just south of the border, so why can't they use those, like Americans do when they cannot afford healthcare and dentists over here? These people get food stamps, free healthcare, and then send money that they should be using for their keep over here, back to family in their own countries. Why is America playing into this? It is robbing our elderly and our Country.

November 3, 2010 at 1:23 p.m.

• John...US Savings Bonds? Uhhh, NO! That money we've already invested(?) in Social Security was money that was taken from us by force (taxes). There is a contract between the government and us. The government took that money and promised to pay us when we got to a certain age. We didn't have the option of using that money for our own investing which, if invested in good, growth stock mutual funds, would have made us enough to not care about SS. It's too late for us to take Savings Bonds, cash them out and invest the proceeds NOW. Twenty-five or thirty years of growth would have made a difference. I won't last that long. Now, if you want to renegotiate the contract, you'll have to do it with those young enough that the investment portfolios they can get into now will have time grow into something worthwhile. You'll have to have some kind of sweetener when you begin those renegotiations. It might be expensive, but it will be worthwhile.

Good luck with getting a law passed requiring full disclosure of all elections. Remember, it's the politicians who would be affected who are the ones who'll be VOTING on a bill like that. Ain't gonna happen.

I do agree with you about bring the troops home from all foreign deployments and ending our world policeman role. Germany, the UK, Japan and the others don't need our troops on their soil spending our money in their country. Let'em fend for themselves. We do, however, need to keep our military stronger than those of other countries to keep them off our backs.

November 3, 2010 at 12:26 p.m.

• justataxpayer

I do believe it will take a huge scandal for both parties to completely disclose the names of the contributors but I still don't think we need to use drastic measures, punish a few,just to get things done. We get more done in the position of strength; instead of weakness.

There's a lot of things that government can't do, such as making companies hire people. We need to stop pretending that one policy or another will make it happen.Bottom line,the GOP will now learn that it's gonna take time to recover from the worst recession since the great depression.

November 3, 2010 at 12:19 p.m.

• reeder

You have totally misread my intentions..... I will continue to be a partisan democrat and if you are that thin skinned about a silly cartoon; then there's very little I can do to convince you.... I'm talking about the lawmakers in Washington. They need to make some kind a compromise. It doesn't really matter what I think.

You can look at all the data you want but over regulation and taxes (some corporations pay zero taxes) cannot compete with the low wages overseas.... Imposing tariffs on those countries will make them retaliate with tariffs... It's not a one way street.... Germany is to doing nicely by making quality goods that are in demand, at a higher price.... And I stated in the previous blog, we haven't produced anything that the world is clamoring for, since WWII and the days we were competing with Russia to be the first on the moon.... The.Dotcom boom lasted a little while before it came crashing down.

November 3, 2010 at 12:01 p.m.

• John Lara

The outsourcing and I was talking about was the old manufacturing jobs.... If you were a CEO, it would be in your best interest to satisfy your shareholders.... Coca-Cola has a bottling plant in war torn Afghanistan.... Corporations are gonna do what is in their best interest, but that doesn't mean we have to give them tax incentives.
    U.S. savings bonds in lieu of future benefits.... Good luck try to pass that... The older people would starve and die for lack of Health Care.
    BTW globalization is here to stay; doesn't matter if we like it are not.... As I said before, that lone entrepreneur in Bangladesh has the Internet to compete globally.
    As I emphasized, but some serious numbers on the board, run them through CBO and "let the chips fall where they may."

November 3, 2010 at 11:43 a.m.

• Well, Mike, if you're really interested in bipartisanship and less rancor, why don't you stop with the cartoons? You also might help your arguments if you removed that party symbol in front of your name. It reminds people that you're biased.

As to manufacturing jobs being outsourced, I think it's time to re-establish tariffs on imported goods. Countries like Japan and China are subsidizing their manufacturing sector which allows them to be more profitable. Over here, our politicians have been creating more regulations which stifles productivity and profitability. If you want more jobs in the USA, tariffs are the answer.

November 3, 2010 at 11:30 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

November 3, 2010 at 11:27 a.m.