Comments

• Jbj.

Since when calling out someone for their own sins, considers wanting to fight? However, I will be “fighting” in 2012.

Hicktoria.

You don’t get it do you? The facts are that the person-in-question wasn’t in the church when a certain sermon was made. If you are making an opinion into a FACT then you are lying. If a person don’t have ALL the facts then shut up.

November 19, 2010 at 6:04 a.m.

• Hicktoria he just wants to fight.

November 12, 2010 at 8:02 a.m.

• I'm am confused. How can some one not be entitled to the facts? I would assume one would want the facts. Guess I will just stick to living in a Regan conservative world. You can stay in yours...

November 11, 2010 at 4:16 p.m.

• Hicktoria.

People are entitled to their own opinions, but NOT TO THE FACTS !!!!!!!! So, why won’t you deal with that.

November 11, 2010 at 3:26 p.m.

• Writein - people are entitled to their own opinions. Deal with it...

November 11, 2010 at 8:32 a.m.

• JBJ.

If it doesn’t matter to you then why are you still talking about it? No, I bought it up because you, on your high horse, had accused Mike of labeling people. Anyone can disagree with me and I don’t have a problem with it. But it is the attitude behind your words among others shows some form of hatred.

November 10, 2010 at 10:55 p.m.

• Writein it does not matter but if you will check back, you are the one who brought this up, and then challenged me to respond.

Just because a person does not agree with you does not make them hateful and ignorant.

November 10, 2010 at 6:15 p.m.

• Mike.
    I am sorry, but I can not stand a person who makes excuses to justify their own hatred and ingornace.

November 10, 2010 at 3:46 p.m.

• JBJ.

Mike had asked you to take your nonsense off his blog. Second, stop with the lying. You fully know about the 3 mintue loop Fox news use in that story .Mike and myself wasn’t born last night. How can you say “I am not going to argue with you”, when you started it in the first place? You can’t have your cake and eat it too. Why? Why? Have still FAIL TO MENTION that he wasn’t there during those sermons. WHY ARE YOU NOT MENTIONING THAT? You may think I’m stupid, but DON’T talk to me like I am.

November 10, 2010 at 3:44 p.m.

• I don't know what three minute clip you are talking about, Mike.

November 10, 2010 at 1:24 p.m.

• jbj
    I really wish you would take your nonsense to Writein's wall because I don't really want be associated in any shape,form or way that defines racism by a 3 minute clip that went on an endless loop on Fox News...... I don't want to beleaguered the point because in the five years I have been in the forum I have purposely stayed away from such nonsense.

I think it's foolish to call Trent Lott a racist for a few words he said to an old friend at a birthday party.

I have to personally know someone or take their words in proper context over a period of time before I will ever call ANYONE a racist..... That's just my view but I don't write a blog to harbor nonsense....

Feel free to write a blog calling the president of the United States a racist and I'm sure you will get some followers to agree with you.

I hope this is the last time we have a discussion of this sort...I don't want excuses ,your point of view on this matter,I just want it to stop....I will deal with the issue if it progresses...No need to reply.

November 10, 2010 at 8:43 a.m.

• writein

What would you think if a white person went to a church and they said negative things about black people? What chances do you think that person would have if he ran for President and racist parts of the sermons were televised?

A symptom of racism is demonizing other races. There may be a time to express negative things about another race, and sometimes they may be well deserved, usually not, but that place is not a church.

I am not going to argue with you.

November 10, 2010 at 8:26 a.m.

• JBJ.

I could say you are one as well. You fail to mention that he wasn’t there during those sermons. You also fail to mention the racial and ethical makeup of the cabinet, the appointments, and others within the administration. Yes Jbj, I am calling you out on this. If the person was truly racist as you said, then wouldn’t he had a black Chief of Staff, black Sec of State, this and other? The character assassination from you needs to stop and you call yourself a Christian?

Let see what excuses and antidotal “stories” you will come up with.

November 9, 2010 at 9:16 p.m.

• Do you think that the rhetoric can create it's own "reality?"

November 9, 2010 at 5:53 p.m.

• I bet that, though someone may consider themselves to be a conservative, they may be liberal on some issues. I bet it's rare that an individual falls far right or far left - if they don't conform to popular rhetoric. When you guys have these conversations, you aren't having them with individuals in mind, but with averages, poll data, etc... Could it be that an individual rarely lines up 100% with the "group" that you associate them with?

November 9, 2010 at 5:48 p.m.

• writein, what do you think they should add up to?

I don't deny I said it, it was due to his association with a church that includes in its sermons some very negative things about white people. Would you sit in a church for years if they talked negatively about a race and you were not a racist?

November 9, 2010 at 5:24 p.m.

• Mike.

I have been reading Jbj’s posts and they don’t add up.

Jbj.

Oh?????? It may not be your first post, but you had said it. Maybe you should take a look at the post between you and I on your wall and my wall.

November 9, 2010 at 4:36 p.m.

• You are welcome to Code Pink and PETA, Mike. Actually if you had checked out the test you might have seen why I had ended up where I did. I didn't suggest it to you because I thought you didn't know what you believe, it was just an interesting perception. What we consider left and right may be a little shifted, and this one puts another dimension to it.

I don't ordinarily lie on tests, and had no need to. Nor did I misunderstand the questions. It is just that you are so totally opposed to what you think I stand for that you cannot see me as anything else. Just like when I said that I don't consider rich $250,000 depending on where a person lives and you still went back to accusing me of wanting tax cuts for millionaires. I do think tax increases will hurt our economy, but I really don't care if millionaires have to pay an extra few percent. They probably don't either, but those making $250,000 and running a business may be affected by that amount, especially when the health care costs are added in.

And btw, I really started watching Fox in '08. I started watching Fox when I saw the expansion of the bias in the programs I had been watching.

November 9, 2010 at 1:46 p.m.

• I cut and paste all the time, big deal. I do not copy and paste cartoons, it does not matter whether you bought the cartoon are not it is the responsibility of the user. If you look at each of those cartoons you copy, note there is the designer mark placed by the owner of said cartoon. Why don’t you pop ASCAP an e-mail, then propose that question to them, they are the custodians of copy right laws. I have no desire to sue a “jack of all scholars like yourself♠” I was merely point out a possible discrepancy on your part-maybe♣

November 9, 2010 at 12:48 p.m.

• Hictoria

I'm only posting quotes from republicans because there's only ones making noise.

I want to emphasize my point:

As I previously stated,Rand Paul went on ABC Sunday and said that he and he is against raising the debt ceiling but would vote against it; knowing full well as colleagues would vote for it... Political insiders know that Mitch McConnell loves earmarks, so he might let Rand Paul vote against the debt ceiling if he voted for retaining earmarks...Rand Paul ran on a Tea Party promise to end the earmarks.... It seems like it didn't last for long.

Rand Paul's interview with the conservative Wall Street Journal

"Father and son, age 47, have different styles. Asked what he wanted to do in Washington in a Wednesday morning television interview, the senator-elect said that his kids were hoping to meet the Obama girls. He has made other concessions to the mainstream. He now avoids his dad's talk of shuttering the Federal Reserve and abolishing the income tax. In a bigger shift from his campaign pledge to end earmarks, he tells me that they are a bad "symbol" of easy spending but that he will fight for Kentucky's share of earmarks and federal pork, as long as it's doled out transparently at the committee level and not parachuted in in the dead of night. "I will advocate for Kentucky's interests," he says.

So you're not a crazy libertarian? "Not that crazy," he cracks

These political games go on every day.... Even the Secretary of Defense,Robert Gates, is urging the democrats to repeal DADT because he feels next year when republicans have larger numbers; it will be that much harder.

November 9, 2010 at 11:12 a.m.

• itisi, you plagiarized... You wanted posters to believe those were your words.. That's deceitful at best.

Again, you have no idea whether I paid for the cartoons off a website... You are just assuming.
    I don't wanna beleaguered the point; sue me or take your complaint to the Victoria Advocate.

I really don't need your mediocre advice but more cartoons are coming; since I know it get your ire....lol

I'M DONE

November 9, 2010 at 10:29 a.m.

• Hictoria
    You are a little vague... I cannot answer your questions without specific details.

President Obama does not want to become bi-partisan because he realizes that the GOP cannot afford to do that... I think it's rather funny how republicans vote against ideas they initiated because it would give credit to the democrats.... Right now, both parties are trying to get the upper hand.
    Let me give you an example of the games they're playing....I believe in February, both democrats and republicans will have to vote to keep the government running, by increasing the debt ceiling... Senator elect Rand Raul outright admitted that he would vote against it to send a message but he knew his colleagues would vote for it.... Senate majority leader Reid can go up to Mitch McConnell and say I'm gonna hold back several democrats; making republicans like Rand Paul vote for raising the debt ceiling.

November 9, 2010 at 10:23 a.m.

• I did not copy a picture, by design; you copied a picture “cartoon by design” without the consent of the owner of the protected design. You need to dig a little deeper into title 17 “Infringing Article”.

November 9, 2010 at 10:20 a.m.

• The thing I find funny Mike is that now you think the time is right for all of these things to happen. What about the last 2 years? Had it not been for the new elected, what would have been done currently. Probably nothing. Or better yet, more gruel forced down our throats. It is simply amazing how democrats try use republican ideals as if they were their own now that they are the minority in the house. Funny how Obama wants to be bi-partisan now that he lost the house. Just saying...

November 9, 2010 at 10:11 a.m.

• Writein

I hear you because yesterday,jbj said "Go to politicalcompass.org. It gives a different perspective on right or left. According to that I am left of center and below the middle on the other scale. I would bet we have more in common than you think. It is not a USA test. ... I almost spilled my diet Pepsi, after reading that....lol

Either he didn't understand the questions, marked the wrong answer, or lied, because his long comment history does not make him down the middle-left of center...lol.. If he's left of center; I'm with the Code Pink and PETA crowd..lol.... I agree, I don't believe he just discovered Fox News in 2008.. I don't know who he is trying to fool.

Leopards don't change their spots.

November 9, 2010 at 9:16 a.m.

• reeder

It would seem that you would have your house in order, before you would even consider criticizing me for being partisan.
    On October 5,2010 on your second post in this forum using the screen name "reeder" you posted:

"I just don't know WHY the Democrats aren't running on their accomplishments. It couldn't be because Obamacare isn't as popular as the Sociocrats thought, could it? What about all that stimulus spending that really brought down the unemployment like they claimed? This election is just like '92 when your buddy, James Carville, said it's the economy, stupid. Yep, people will vote their pocketbooks and the sociocrats will be left sitting on their .. well, you've got a picture of it sitting right in front of your name."

If that's not partisan, name calling, and not being part of the solution; I don't know what is.

What is it in " do as I say do not as I do" that people don't get?
    Do they forget they have a comment history?

November 9, 2010 at 9:04 a.m.

• ROTFL...... I just love the wannabe lawyers because this is the 4th threat of cease and desist I have received using the same Federal statute... Another poster said I was a operative for the democratic party using my blog in unlawful way....Perhaps they can team up in file a class action suit against me...Good luck.

A. Become familiar with the Fair Use Act :17 U.S. ..107
    Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 17 U.S.C. § 106 and 17 U.S.C. § 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:
    1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
    2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
    3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
    4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
    The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.[1
    B.. There are plenty of web sites that sell cartoons by the barrel full and software applications do the same thing.
    C. Every cartoon I post give full credit to the artist and you must the details of the copyright contract the artist signed.
    On October 31,2010 itisi posted "Why should I vote you ask me? Our leadership isn't listening, there are no jobs, the deficit explodes, health care is a sink hole, stimulus is an excuse for big government to spend, and the borders are collapsing.
    This what Peter johnson wrote on Fox News.com
    Why should I vote you ask me? Our leadership isn’t listening, there are no jobs, the deficit explodes, health care is a sink hole, stimulus is an excuse for big government to spend, and the borders are collapsing.

That is plagiarizing because at minimum quotes were not used nor was any credit given to the original author..That's theft.... I would look in your own backyard before criticizing others.

BTW I have a copy of your post,so it won't do you any good to delete it.

November 9, 2010 at 8:55 a.m.

• writein that was not my first post. But I never said I don't identify categories people put themselves in.

Fortunately, so far, I am free to listen to whatever I like as much as I like. If you think that it is too much, you are free to think that.

Reeder, this is our problem today in Congress, also. Anyone who disagrees or has an opposing opinion is accused of being uninformed and labeled negatively. Here, the default comment is that they are watching too much Fox. I guess there are counter arguments about watching too much MSNBC but they probably aren't, looking at the ratings.

November 9, 2010 at 8:47 a.m.

• Mike,
    With all of these columns that you’re writing that depicted these cartoons, I do hope you have an (ASCAP) license, from the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers. ASCAP takes their org. very seriously, which is protected by federal law.

November 9, 2010 at 7:04 a.m.

• Jbj.

You have pin labels on others yourself in the past as well. Remember your first post calling the President racist? Gee seem like you have been listening to Glenn Beck too much.

November 9, 2010 at 6:27 a.m.

• More cartoons: why not have some original thoughts for yourself? All of your blogs are anti-Republican or pro-/Democrat. Can't you explain your thoughts without labels, accusations, or ridicule? If you're not going to be part of the solution, at least stop being part of the problem. We have had enough polarization. If we have any more, we'll have to take the polar bears off the endangered species act.

November 9, 2010 at 12:53 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

November 8, 2010 at 7:35 p.m.

• Cherry picking? LOL, I pasted the conclusion of the CBO assessment of the "Roadmap", which sounds very similar to the caveats, if's and but's about healthcare reform - chuckle. Read the following assessment by the CBO director Obamacare:

November 8, 2010 at 6:48 p.m.

• Mike to be a guy who is not obsessed with labels you sure pin them on other people alot.

November 8, 2010 at 6:32 p.m.

• JBj
    It was Frank Rich that mentioned the chalk board...Reread.

November 8, 2010 at 5:21 p.m.

• jbj
    We are 180° apart and we will never have anything in common but I'm not unhappy with that.

I'm 65 years old, so I don't need a test to tell me what I believe in and what I don't..I KNOW... I'm not obsessed with labels.

November 8, 2010 at 5:18 p.m.

• jbj

It's not a matter of where they put their money but a payroll tax holiday of about six months will do more to spur the economy, so will repairing the infrastructure, and investing in education and research and development is better than a tax cut to the top 2%..... What so difficult to understand about that; all you that into giving tax cuts to the rich?

Your personal situation does not reflect the 14 million that are unemployed.... Again, uncertainty is used by the lobbyist to get tax cuts but as usual this conversation is going in an endless loop.

You go ahead; keep believing like the elephants in the cartoon that we can tax cut our way to prosperity...lol

I'M DONE...Have a good one;you are going to have argue with someone else.

November 8, 2010 at 5:13 p.m.

• Thinking someone is unamerican is not right wing, Mike, and if they are wrong it is ignorance or false accusation. I was going by definition when I cited the amnesty and abortion items. I realize health care has been a goal of the left for a long time, Hilary got into it and it was not new then. Where did you get the idea I thought it was a new thing? You referenced the chalk board before I mentioned it. And everyone is for clean air and alternative energy but not everyone believes raising taxes will accomplish it.

I am not in favor of limiting businesses or taxing businesses but because I don't feel it is best for the economy and jobs. Yet I realize there has to be rules and limits in some cases. If you think the Republican party just wants tax cuts, you don't know much about the Republican party. Not all tea party members are extreme, either.

November 8, 2010 at 5:12 p.m.

• jbj

I don't know how I missed the part" but to attempt to pass legislation that would "spread the wealth"..... That's the" Joe the plumber" campaign rhetoric.... It could be looked on as " I've got mine."...... There was nothing deceiving because it was always an intent to add ~ 31 million to health care and the 85% that already had insurance felt uneasy, felt like they were going to lose what they had or make it more expensive.... Fox News, Frank Luntz, suggested you demonize the plan by calling it " spread the wealth" and it went to other programs like Cap-and-Trade and unemployment benefits.... Oh yes, I am proud the left will always be for the safety net, increasing minimum wage and equality... If you wanna call that "spreading the wealth," you go right ahead but I doubt very seriously that you are that wealthy.

Again if you were a student of political history, you would know that Ronald Reagan called Medicare," socialism" and in 1934 Father Coughlin was the Rush Limbaugh/ Glenn Beck of that era against Social Security.... This is just to repeat of history.

November 8, 2010 at 5:01 p.m.

• I agree with arlewil. People who make over a million dollars, maybe not, but those who make $250-$500, especially in some parts of the USA, do put their money into the economy. With inflation, it will be even more true.

Lots of people work for poor people. Especially now. I can tell you that I paid an employee out of my pocket for months because the money was not coming in. Things had slowed down. Some people are not able to do that and have to let good people go. Look at all the empty commercial property. Lots of bosses are poor. Many are not hiring until they know what is going on with the taxes and health care.

I am sure that a tax increase will not help the job situation.

November 8, 2010 at 4:48 p.m.

• jbj

Congresswoman Michelle Bachmann told Chris Matthews that several members of Congress needed to be investigated for unAmerican activities... That's McCarthyism because she didn't have a shred of evidence to initiate an investigation. She tried to spread the recent India trip rumor around,and also said president Obama was creating RE education camps... Those are just a few examples to label her an extremist.

President Reagan gave amnesty and no one's even talking about Comprehensive Immigration Reform, so democrats don't have an official position.... Abortion is a social conservative issue and that has been settled by Roe V Wade.The democrats are not interested in overturning the constitution. I can call tax incentives and farm subsidies" corporate socialism" but you are talking about laissez-faire economics'... That is not usually a left or right issue, although most on the left favor Keynesian economic policies during a recession while the right austerity polices.

Yes, a leaky bucket is used to transfer government funds but that's not a reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I don't know what you mean about the chalkboard but if you mean the democrats or the president was too stupid to explain; I disagree... The democrats had over 20 debates where the national cameras carried the message, newspaper coverage was extensive, and unlike some republican candidates, he made himself available to the media.... I guess you are pretty weak when it comes to political history because democrats have made the health care the number one priority for many many years. They like clean air and water, alternative energies, and not being involved in senseless wars...Your party likes tax cuts.

As for Barney Frank, it was Bush's secretary of treasury Henry Paulson who made that quote and senators Shelby of Alabama and Gregg Judd of New Hampshire said the same thing... They are his colleagues.....

I think you're very typical of those and throw out labels just to say " they are not like me."

November 8, 2010 at 4:41 p.m.

• Mike, I don't think wanting to investigate Democrats makes a person far right any more than wanting to investigate Republicans makes a person far left. I think both parties have wanted the other investigated, maybe not for the same reasons.

When I talk about left wing agenda, I don't mean the entire piece of legislation is left wing. That would not get through even this congress. But the attempt to pass legislation that would "spread the wealth", such as some items in the health care bill. Amnesty is more a left wing idea, so is legislation that lets government funding pay for abortions. Things that tax or limit those trying to run businesses are counter to free market capitalism. I don't think that money funnelled through congress gets used efficiently, but that is true with both parties.

If Obama had had to use a chalk board and explain what he wanted to do, I doubt he would have gotten elected.

I did find something we agree on. (maybe a typo on your part). You said, of Barney Frank, "...was invaluable doing the financial crisis." I agree. I doubt we could have had one without him. Oh come on Mike, you know I am joking. Well sort of.

November 8, 2010 at 4:08 p.m.

• arlewill

I think I've been posting this article for the past three years; explaining our progressive tax system.

The Bush tax cuts favored the rich for 10 years, so why not just let them expire?... There's no data supporting that tax cuts equal jobs..That's a business lobbyist tall tale.. Look at the job growth during the Bush years with two tax cuts and compare them with the Clinton years.... Wealth distribution flows both ways.

WASHINGTON, Jan. 7 — Families earning more than $1 million a year saw their federal tax rates drop more sharply than any group in the country as a result of President Bush’s tax cuts, according to a new Congressional study.
    The study, by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, also shows that tax rates for middle-income earners edged up in 2004, the most recent year for which data was available, while rates for people at the very top continued to decline.

I'm not gonna stay up too many nights worrying about the rich.

November 8, 2010 at 3:15 p.m.

• arlewill

I respectfully disagree, I don't think we can afford the $700 billion more dollars added to the deficit because that group generally does not spend it to stimulate the economy. That money could be better spent for research and development and education incentives.

The inequality between the middle class and the rich started long before president Obama even considered running for office.

I think the entire Bush tax cuts should be allowed to expire because that's four trillion dollars added to the deficit over a 10 year period. I think we're in a time where we need to reduce spending and raise taxes because it does a really matter where we place the blame; we're here...Let's get America back to work and then we place the blame.

Although the Fed coordinates with the treasury, it is really an independent body with Bernancke serving at the pleasure of the president. I'm not thrilled with the actions of the fed because although the low interest rates will increase the profits of the 401 K's, lower mortgage payments; the uptick in food,fuel, other essentials are rising; negating any gain. He is trying to spur little inflation so he can raise interest rates.

I've been hearing that old line "My Daddy never worked for a poor man" but I don't think it applies because consumers overspent in prior years and right now they're not consuming; raising taxes on that group is not a job killer....TARP propped up Wall Street (the rich) but it never did anything for main street, so it's not class warfare or a program to soak the rich... The top 2% will only pay taxes on taxable income above $250,000... I remember hearing an example where that only amounts to $5000 or so.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree

November 8, 2010 at 3:02 p.m.

• Mike
    You and I both know that middle class Americans pay the bulk of the cost of government. It has been that way for a long time and I don't think it will change. Increasing tax on the top 2 percent of Americans will not solve any problems.
    The Fed has embarked on a program of creating money and hyper-inflation will push many folks who are middle class Americans earning less than 250 thousand a year into Obama's rich class excluding us folks on fixed income who will become the new poor. Monetizing the debt many be a way out for the government but it is going to be hard on senior citizens.
    Taxing the rich is just a ploy to gain political advantage. My Daddy never worked for a poor man.

November 8, 2010 at 2:40 p.m.

• What was left out of the cherry picked favorable portion was the front page of letter that stated:

The analysis is subject to a
    great deal of uncertainty, because of both the complexity of the proposal and the very
    long time horizon over which its many provisions would unfold. The analysis does
    not represent a cost estimate for the legislation, which would require much more
    detailed analysis and would be much more limited in the time span that could be
    examined.

That letters been out since January of 2010 and critics have used it against Congressman Ryan because he really doesn't have a full analysis.... It's more of a pie- in- the -sky proposal.

Moot point...It won't get past a presidential veto .

November 8, 2010 at 2:20 p.m.

• jbj

I don't know if we've ever been on the right page (no pun intended) but I judge a politician by their proposals, statements, and votes..... Dennis Kucinich is a far left liberal that wants us to get out of several treaties,pay for universal single payer Health Care, free education for all, and to remove our troops from every foreign country... He usually runs for president and says some pretty outrageous things but he's not taken seriously, and he probably will never have a leadership role... You probably think Barney Frank is a far left liberal(some cases he is) but he is a prominent member of the banking committee....Bush's outgoing treasury,Hank Paulson, said Mr. Frank was invaluable doing the financial crisis... I heard several republican senators saying the same thing.

I know the right wing blogs and Fox News emphasize the far left agenda but they never give any specifics... Can you name a specific piece of legislation that is far left?

I don't think congressman Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell, John Boehner or Eric Cantor are far to the right but is they are supply siders.

Samples of far right

When someone says that democratic members of Congress should be investigated for un- American activities , that's a far right position. When a senator say is that an unmarried female should not be allowed to teach our children... That is it far right position.

November 8, 2010 at 1:56 p.m.

• jbj

The tea party will hold 90 seats in the house of representatives but no leadership roles... They can hold up important pieces of legislation just like the blue dog democrats did.

Unemployment is here to stay for while because CEOs are not gonna hire back as many they had in 2008; even when business picks up in... Last week 60 minutes had a segment about some l small businesses in Newport ,IA where they assembled Maytag washers and dryers... A new company came and shipped out all the jobs.... Many small business owners were interviewed and everyone of them said they would not hire one employee until they needed three..Consumers are not buying...We have a demand problem not an unfavorable business environment..Look at the $1.6 trillion cash surplus the Fortune 500 has..Lobbyist for business naturally want less regulation and more tax cuts for business but that won't make people buy the goods.

If you have not seen the tea party influence in Republican Party; I don't know what to tell you. The tea party is more conservative than the 2007-2008 republicans. Jim DeMint is to the right of Lamar Alexander and Mitch McConnell.... Michelle Bachmann is to the right of John Boehner. Rand and Ron Paul are to the right of all of them...The tea party is already threatening the few moderate to right republican members...In fact I think Politico ran several stories and so did the NYT...That's why the GOP continues to lose in the NE.

The health care law you despise is much like the one republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney supported and that template was from the one republican Bob Dole proposed. As I showed you the other day the Cap-and-Trade was a Ronald Reagan and George H.W Bush free market idea.... Now are you talking about raising the minimum wage; supporting a bill to give "equal pay for equal work" and extending unemployment benefits far left wing proposals?....

November 8, 2010 at 1:31 p.m.

• This was the CBO's analysis of Paul Ryans "Roadmap." I did not find a reference to the FBI cuts, but he does advocate REPLACING Mediaid with MSA's (medical savings accounts) or vouchers to purchase healthcare insurance.

Below is the CBO's assessment of the "Roadmap" it's not quite as hysterical as the Huffington Post - ahhh yes, now that's where you get all your "facts." This was the CBO's conclusion.

"Using CBO’s “textbook growth” model, it is not possible to simulate the effects of the alternative fiscal scenario after 2058 because deficits become so large and unsustainable
    that the model cannot calculate their effects.

The Roadmap would put the federal budget on a sustainable path, generating an annual budget surplus of about 5 percent of GDP by 2080. According to CBO’s textbook growth model, which incorporates the assumption that economic output is determined by the number of hours of labor that workers supply, the size and composition of the capital stock, and the state of technological expertise, real potential gross national product per person would continue to grow over the entire 75-year period

The economy would be considerably stronger under the proposal (as analyzed by CBO) than it would be under the alternative fiscal scenario. Real gross national product per person would be about 70 percent higher in 2058 under the proposal than under the alternative fiscal scenario.

I hope this analysis is useful to you. If you have questions, please contact me or Joyce Manchester, the staff contact for the analysis.

Sincerely,

Douglas W. Elmendorf
    Director
    cc: Honorable John M. Spratt Jr.
    Chairman"

November 8, 2010 at 1:20 p.m.

• Mike, how many seats in the house will the tea party candidates hold? How many will hold key positions?

Unemployment is a key issue and it will resolve when businesses have a stable environment. Get that right and things will improve in that area.

I was a little surprised by your inference that the Republicans are the ones moving to the extreme. I think that most perceive the ones who moved to be the Democrats. Those who expected Obama to lead from the center as he led many to believe were actually quite surprised that he governed so far left. The entire opposition to the legislation and those supporting it arose in response to the position it represented. What I am saying is that this perception that the governing individuals were so far left is responsible for the tea party movement, the anger of many voters, and the resulting election.

I am not trying to argue, just mention a very different perception.

November 8, 2010 at 1:08 p.m.

• On March 20, 2010, CBO released its final cost estimate for the reconciliation act, which encompassed the effects of both pieces of legislation. Table 1 (on page 5) provides a broad summary and Table 2 offers a detailed breakdown of the budgetary effects of the two pieces of legislation. CBO and the staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT) estimate that enacting both pieces of legislation will produce a net reduction in federal deficits of $143 billion over the 2010-2019 period. About $124 billion of that savings stems from provisions dealing with health care and federal revenues; the other $19 billion results from the education provisions. Those figures do not include potential costs that would be funded through future appropriations (those are discussed on pages

readers can see and read for themselves.

CASE CLOSED

November 8, 2010 at 12:51 p.m.

• "CBO said it would we reduce the deficit over a 10 year period."

Oh please, this has been hashed over so much. The CBO estimate is based on ten years of revenues and only six years of actual expenditures. Besides that they failed to include some major expenses. The second ten years the CBO refused to estimate because they said there were too many variables.

People who should know say the odds are that Obamacare will explode the federal budget. Not only that it will do great harm to our current healthcare system - it will make it much worse not better.

November 8, 2010 at 12:48 p.m.

• Democrats have warned that the spending reductions Republicans have called for will cut $6 billion from the National Institutes of Health and force the layoffs of more than 2,000 FBI agents.

Ryan dismissed the criticism as the “Washington Monument strategy,” which is to put a spotlight on the most unpopular cuts.

It is his budget proposal; and on the chart Wallace showed him;he did not deny.

Wallace asks Ryan if he means to cut 2700 FBI agents and eliminate Pell Grants and cut the NIH's budget by six billion, and Ryan complains that Wallace is running a "Washington monument tactic" where the most treasured things are wheeled out and asked about. It seems to me that this is actually "journalism?" But nevermind, Ryan is not going to answer these questions specifically because YES ALL THOSE THINGS ARE GETTING CUT."...... by Jason Linkins

His budget proposal has been out for a long time

The Ryan proposal would eliminate most of Medicaid and all of the Children’s Health Insurance Program. Low-income families with children would receive a health insurance tax credit and some additional low-income assistance and be pushed into the private health insurance market to fend for themselves. Low-income seniors would lose both Medicaid and Medicare and receive the Medicare voucher and supplemental Medical Savings Account described above. They, too, would be pushed into the private health insurance market. Medicaid would continue to provide acute-care services for low-income people with disabilities. But the long-term care component of Medicaid would be converted to a block grant to states and funded at a level that would not keep pace with the costs of care. As a result, states would essentially be compelled to make steadily larger cuts in their long-term care services as time went by.

November 8, 2010 at 12:40 p.m.

• "Congressman Tim Ryan the GOP's new budget director, wants to cut over 2000 FBI agents and make drastic cuts in aid to children."

Ahhh....Tim Ryan is a Democrat????

However, Paul Ryan said on Sunday that cutting the FBI and aid to children was BS or as he said the "Washington Monument" defense by the Democrats.

November 8, 2010 at 12:10 p.m.