Comments

• muleman-

That's the very same thing I've said about FOX news--it's run by republicans and you can't believe everything they say!

Wow! That's freaky, isn't it?

September 12, 2010 at 5:03 p.m.

• Snopes.com is run by two people, democrates. Can't believe everything they say.

September 12, 2010 at 4:01 p.m.

• Mike
    I went back and looked at the photo and found the date to be September 11, 2009. One thing is for certain, the shopkeeper did not remember 9-11-01 and the significance of that event to the people of this country. He cannot understand why people are upset with him and pleads his innocence per the article in SNOPES. He should apologize and beg forgiveness.

September 11, 2010 at 2:40 p.m.

• arlewill
    Snoops.com has changed their format so the first link I provided does not work..Try this one.

September 11, 2010 at 10:45 a.m.

• Thanks arlewill, I was not aware of the photo or the incident but I went online and checked it out.

According to the shopkeeper, Ali, who is remembered on a different date each year during Ramadan, died in 661 A.D. and was in no way related to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks,nor did it have anything to do with any of the 19 terrorists of 9/11.

Here is the sign in question

Have a good weekend

September 11, 2010 at 10:15 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

September 11, 2010 at 10:12 a.m.

• Mike
    I agree. Have you seen the photo of a storefront at 9700 Harwin Drive, Houston, TX with a sign behind the glass that reads "We will be closed on September 11, 2010 to commorate the martydom of Imam Ali"? I tried to paste the picture for you but this format does not accept it.

September 11, 2010 at 9:10 a.m.

• Mike, the right does not need to use scare tactics. They are not the only ones who feel threatened by the terrorists who are among us. Unless there is something we don't know about the relationship of this group to the left.

September 10, 2010 at 7:17 p.m.

• Yeah, we don't want to offend anyone that's for sure even if they blow the crap out of us. We should just say thank you and may I have another. No, there's nothing worse than the loss of esteem someone might suffer if they are accused of being an extremist, even if they are.

We should not object to these atrocities. It's because we just don't understand these poor fanatical people. It's funny that the Irish catholic rebels did the very same things, setting off bombs in London etc. The Brits went after these extremists and killed them, tortured them for information and just generally showed very little compassion and understanding - shame on them.

No I can see it now we just need to be more patient and just grin and bear it because we don't want to be called a racist or a bigot - Oh the humiliation.

September 10, 2010 at 6:44 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

September 10, 2010 at 5:57 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

September 10, 2010 at 5:55 p.m.

• ddherring
    I guess the word"
    vilified" can be subjective but I think he pastor was justly mocked for being the kook he is. I don't think anyone ever accused us of resorting to violence because some bibles were burned.... I think that is a made up scenario to tie in the actions of a misguided pastor with the events in New York.

Since when do we hold ourselves up to third world countries, for a tit- for- tat comparison?

Have a good week end

September 10, 2010 at 5:15 p.m.

• One last comment before I start my week end.

9/11 was planned in the cave somewhere in Afghanistan or Pakistan, details were sent out to Mohammed Atta who was in Hamburg ,Germany.... Terrorists do not have to be on top of Ground Zero to plan a terrorist attack... That just a scare tactic perpetrated by the right.

Have a good week end.

September 10, 2010 at 5:05 p.m.

• I don't see any problem with that, if it works for you jbj.

I just don't feel like answering the question " when was the last time you beat your wife?"

If I am innocent of any wrongdoing, I don't feel I have to jump through hoops to prove that. Especially for future events.

That's what's great about the 14th amendment.... " Nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person without its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

United States constitution

September 10, 2010 at 4:58 p.m.

• It would not bother me if anyone asked if I intended for a building I built to be used for terrorists' violent purposes or if I was supported by them. But then I can answer that question without any problem.

September 10, 2010 at 4:49 p.m.

• I concur well put Wayward wind,also agree with JohnLara. I don't agree with burning the Koran but I wouldn't threaten violence to stop someone from burning a Bible. The pastor has been villified for his threat to burn a book, but the religion of peace gets a free pass while they trample and burn the American flag.

September 10, 2010 at 4:48 p.m.

• John said "Imam in New York guarantee beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there will not be some who might use parts of the facility to organize, engage, or support terrorist endeavors?"

Why should any citizen of the United States have to guarantee they will be good citizens?

The mayor and police chief cannot make that promise nor can the archbishop of New York.

It seems like you are stereotyping but I bet you would get angry if that was done to you.

September 10, 2010 at 2:50 p.m.

• John

I have always believed that the Community Center/Mosque issue was a local one for New Yorkers to sort out..... I remember right wing in pundit, Laura Ingraham, supported the idea when it originally came out, way back in December, then after all the bad publicity, she quickly changed her mind.

Pastor Terry Jones just recently injected himself into the Ground Zero issue because he first said he was gonna burn the korans in July of this year.... The Arab world immediately denounced his action but it wasn't publicized in the United States. No publicity, no controversy, just another crazy doing what they do best.... Pastor Jones loves the attention.

The old Burlington Coat Factory has been used for prayer by Muslims for over year without controversy. Put in a little politics, publicity, and hatred and you have the formula for a full blown media event, blown out of proportion.

So is it the size(13 stories- one story for prayer), closeness(there is a mosque four blocks from Ground Zero) or is it something else?

September 10, 2010 at 2:44 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

September 10, 2010 at 2:22 p.m.

• Waywardwind
    It's never been a tit- for- tat because we are a prosperous country with a high level of intelligence, supposedly....The Imam never threatened violence, he made a matter -of- fact, ststement much like General Petraeus did.... Both individuals know that region of the country, so they speak from experience.

Millions are rioting is a gross exaggeration of the facts but many are, as anticipated.

I really don't get your point.

September 10, 2010 at 1:33 p.m.

• @thewaywardwind,

"Does anyone on this forum believe for one minute that christians would riot in countries around the world if a few muslims burned or otherwise insulted bibles? A lot of'em would raise hell on forums like this, but there'd be no riots and no one would be killed or kidnapped"

You only have to look to Northern Ireland to find riots, kidnapping and killings and that's just between two different Christian "factions" coexisting in the same neighborhood - nevermind Christians and Muslims. These aren't die hard IRA terrorists either - they're neighbors and work colleagues.

No religion has any right to claim the title of "peaceful" - they ALL have the potential to be as bad as each other. All it takes for offense to turn to violence is the right mix of peoples, histories and cultures. Simple calling yourself a Christian does not exclude you from this.

Several people were injured last year (2009) in Belfast due to mass riots at the annual parade of the Orangeman - when Protestants march through Catholic neighborhoods to celebrate King William of Orange's defeat of the Catholic King James II at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690:

I'll add a list of Christian terrorist organizations for balance:

September 10, 2010 at 1:18 p.m.

• This is another example of the outrageousness of the muslims. Some idiots in Florida want to burn some qurans (korans?) and millions of muslims worldwide go crazy and protest, call for death to America, and threaten to widen the war in Afghanistan. These people are freakin' CRAZY! There's no reasoning with them. Does anyone on this forum believe for one minute that christians would riot in countries around the world if a few muslims burned or otherwise insulted bibles? A lot of'em would raise hell on forums like this, but there'd be no riots and no one would be killed or kidnapped. For dang sure, no one would strap on a C-4 vest and detonate himself in a restaurant or shopping center. You haven't seen violent responses from Americans about the pictures of muslims walking on and burning Old Glory. Why? Gee, maybe it's because Americans are civilized.

The imam in New York threatens world wide violence if the victory mosque is moved from its planned location. But his incitement to violence is approved of as his Constitutional right. I'd suggest that it sorta rises to the level of shouting "FIRE" in a crowded threater.

Yeah, the burning of the books is a pretty stupid thing to do -- whether it's the fools in Florida or the ones in Kansas. But the threatened response by millions of muslims around the world is way over the top. Those people are nuts.

Look at the cain they raised when a guy from Holland(?) drew a cartoon of muhammad with a bomb in his hat. He's still under death threats from people who believe in the kind, gentle, peaceful religion of islam.

September 10, 2010 at 12:52 p.m.

• You are expressing some of my own thoughts.

If no one had reported the radical pastor (?), it would not be a problem. He could have had his own little book burning and no one would have been offended. But that is not what he wanted and he got it his way. If it had not been so widely reported, if the radicals who oppose his actions had found out about his antics, they would have sought him out and dealt with him privately. But by putting it on the news, the opposing radicals are watching the entire country for reaction.

If I had the money Donald Trump has I would be happy to offer that amount to move the mosque. I would even up the ante, and donate the site to a non religious cause. I don't know what is in it for him, so I don't see how he could gain. If it is for advertising for himself, I guess I would be thankful he did it and so would many others.

Today we are seeing so many radicals. The media allows them the attention they seek. We cannot get away from it, due to utube and little phone videos. I, too, wish mainstream media would use the more newsworthy subjects. Then the radicals would have less importance associated with their demonstrations.

We just all need to remember that all groups have their crazies.

September 10, 2010 at 11:05 a.m.

• Read yesterday the AP and Fox News will not be covering the burning of the Quran on Saturday if Pastor Terry Jones follows through. Havent had my daily dose of news reading, so not sure if others have joined in. Heres link to article

September 10, 2010 at 11:03 a.m.

• "Pastor" Jones and "Imam" Rauf are cut from the same cloth they are both agitators. They are both summoning their radical contingent.

September 10, 2010 at 10:53 a.m.

• I hear that but it's all about advertising bucks; if station X does not cover it, station Y will.

I agree, the media should come together some with some kind of journalism standards because if this continues, the crazies will dominate every night..They used to do that but that's hard to do now because of blogs, YouTube and the Internet... I saw a pundit interviewing the gun toting associate pastor of the church in question, in the background was a sign promoting the "Truther" cause.... I'm sure the Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida has doubled their membership. I can picture the Birthers, Truthers, and Tenthers flocking to the church for all the free publicity.

September 10, 2010 at 10:41 a.m.

• Perhaps mainstream media needs to re-evaluate its priorities when reporting stories like this one. Or perhaps it doesn't if all that cable news orgs care about is increasing viewer-ship in favor of maintaining integrity. When I watched this story take precedence over the lives lost in the gas blast in San Bruno, CA this morning it certainly did not sit well with me.

September 10, 2010 at 10:28 a.m.