Comments

• I am glad others are mentioning the volume problem. I thought it was me. I did take one Iphone back because it did not ring loud enough to hear and it was actually defective.

I have both because of my work, I use my cell phone too much and go over my minutes. A Suddenlink phone with long distance included saves $$. Otherwise, when I had only a cell phone I used it exclusively and did not miss the land line.

The camera feature comes in handy sometimes.

April 24, 2011 at 12:46 p.m.

• During Rita, all cellphone towers were overloaded. I could still get through on my landline. Guess I'll keep mine for awhile longer.

April 21, 2011 at 10:17 p.m.

• I don't know who thinks that a wireless service cost $100 a month "for minutes"...even prepaid plans for unlimited voice, data, and texting are down in the $50 range these days...

Years ago, I became estranged with SouthWestern Bell, and then Sprint because of absolutely crappy customer service...they owned the lines, so you did things their way...period....

Today's technology has decentralized service and has forced customer service and customer satisfaction back into the telecommunications world...and the options available are nearly limitless...don't want an iphone?, simple, don't get one...don't want to text?, don't.....scared of GPS or datastreaming technology?, don't use it.....just don't be surprised if you are finding yourself increasingly left out of social dialog and real-time business communication...

Yes, with every new "time-saver", it seems like we end up having less "time"....as for me, I like the flexibility and decentralization that a wireless choice provides. Life is happening OUT THERE, my home, to me, functions as quarters for sleeping and occasional meals; a place of respite....quite often, when I am at home, my phone is OFF; my closest friends can use other means to communicate.

April 21, 2011 at 11:46 a.m.

• SugarMagnolia

Don't get started on low volume problems..... About 3 months ago,a friend had to use our landline because he couln't hear his wife,who was using her cell phone in the mall....My Blackberry Torch has a low volume problem ,so I'm forced to use the speaker phone or a blu tooth head set...ATT claims it's a software error that will be fixed soon...I'm still waiting..Glad you reminded me,I shall visit them this afternoon.

waywardwind

I'm with you on texting and I have only taken about 5 poor quality pictures,so those features aren't that important to me...Like familyman1122,I do feel better having a cell phone on long trips and the cell has saved me from making that extra trip to HEB to return the wrong item I purchased.

arlewill

I remember those days when MA Bell would actually refuse to take customers;they had the upper hand back then.

It seems like you have it all worked out with your " If the mountain will not come to Muhammad, then Muhammad must go to the mountain'' fix...I think we are alike because I always say "just tell me the problem and I'll find a way around it"...:-)

April 21, 2011 at 9:58 a.m.

• Kyle ,you will always be 30 years ahead of me...:-)

Rebecca,you make a good case for not being ready for a switch to call phones only...:-)

That's a good point born2Bme,I guess we are fortunate our area is not DSL ready or we would have that same problem...Our computers are Suddenlink but that's all we use cable for.

You make a good point familyman1122,controlling our minutes will be a must.

April 21, 2011 at 9:33 a.m.

• parkpork
    Strange indeed as you were cutting your ties with your ATT landline,I was posting this blog.

What's the worse that could happen?

April 21, 2011 at 9:23 a.m.

• VBB
    We do have those moments after Christmas but wait until you retire and "Fixed Income" comes into play...You start looking at that cable/SAT TV bill, and unnecessary trips to make room for new meds,and other essentials we didn't have before..:-)

April 21, 2011 at 9:16 a.m.

• Mike
    I built my nest in the wilderness beginning about seven years ago. I called Ma Bell for service and they refused to talk to me because I did not have a street address. I did have electricity and internet so I called my internet provider and he recommended a vendor for an internet phone. It works but service detoriates when the kids get out of school and start playing games on the internet. I can make calls overseas at no charge but not when the kids are at home. Never did that because I don't know anyone overseas.
    I got rid of my cell phone and pager when I retired ten plus years ago but my wife insisted we both have cell phones when she moved into the nest. So now we have an internet phone and two cell phones. I put a cell phone signal booster in the house so we don't have to go outside to use our cell phones.
    I still don't have a land line or a number in the telephone book. I did have to get an address even though it is one half mile away. That is my story and I don't think you will miss your land line.

April 21, 2011 at 7:49 a.m.

• After the stories about I-Phones storing your location and about the police in some places wanting to download data from cell phones, I'm thinking about getting rid of the cell. My wife and I don't talk on the phone much anyway. We sure don't send text messages -- it's a telephone for cryin' out loud. For pictures, I'v got a wonderful invention called a camera.

April 21, 2011 at 7:31 a.m.

• Great topic, Mike!

We still have both, and I suspect we will until the cell phone makers finally understand the crazy notion that they are manufacturers of PHONES, and as such, should make devices that you can actually HEAR with. The sound quality on so many phones is just lousy, and reception is spotty at best in most places. I think the technology still needs to be perfected. No matter who I call or when, I can guarantee you EVERY TIME it will sound better through a land line.

April 21, 2011 at 7:14 a.m.

• I am backwards I guess cause I don't own a cell phone. I use a land line and borrow a cell phone to go out of town in case of an emergency. I have had cell phones but no longer find a need for them. They cost too much to pay the bill. My land line is only about $20-$25 an month instead of $100 for minutes over the limit on top of the regular bill.

April 21, 2011 at 6:11 a.m.

• We still have our landline because I have DSL and cell phone reception inside our house isn't that great. My son often has to go out on the porch to hear people on his phone.
    We really don't use the phone that much anyway and minutes on a cell phone would just get wasted.

April 20, 2011 at 10:12 p.m.

• Waiting for the brain implant phone...

April 20, 2011 at 8:54 p.m.

• When I say "house phone" I mean the one attached to the wall. I'm always losing the handsets. I've driven off with one on the bumper of the car. D=

April 20, 2011 at 8:49 p.m.

• My cell phone is never charged and I always misplace it. I always know where the house phone is. I'm not ready. =/

April 20, 2011 at 8:44 p.m.

• Well Mike, last time we had this conversation I said I would never give up the land line & I finally did in February. We always go into "austerity mode" after Christmas & I found out that what I thought was my phone & cable bill was only phone.....so, since it hadn't even been plugged in in years, I had them disconnect it. Since I haven't had my phone plugged in in years, the only difference for me is not having that # to use as a contact number. : )

April 20, 2011 at 7:51 p.m.