Comments

• edpost. You have cracked the case. Now I am sure the GOP leadership will be in your dept since they can void this election. How in the world did the rest of the world not catch this gross oversight?

May 1, 2011 at 9 p.m.

• born2, we probably see very different things from our different perspectives, but from what I see, the "rich" actually pay a larger percent of the total tax now. Different sources put what the top paid at about 19-38% before the Bush tax cuts, depending on how "rich" is defined, while now they are paying a greater %, 68-90+. So go on and raise taxes on the "rich" and see what happens. I think it is a waste of time and will result in more money going other than to those who need it.

I am in the middle of the example of businesses hiring fewer people now, and giving more work, overtime, etc. to existing employees. I see those who will not hire now because of they are unsure of the ecomony. This includes those curbing expansion and growth of their businesses. The contractor I kept busy two years ago for a full year, now works independently. His crew is two now instead of six to eight. Not to mention the subcontractors he used. He is not the only one.

Our government is not an efficient, honest or even reliable handler of money. Look at medicare, social security and other programs. Would we have to make some changes to keep them working if they had not been robbed? Probably. But it would be something much easier to deal with. And wait until you see what is going to happen with health care.

May 1, 2011 at 8:25 p.m.

• @jbj

This liberal doesn't mind paying her fair share of taxes. I just want the unfair tax advantages to the upper tier to cease to exist. We've had the greatest shift in wealth since 2000 than there has ever been before. It has gone to the top, not the other way around.
    The sad part it that people erroniously believe that those people produce all of the jobs in this country. If that was the case, then there would be so many jobs here that unemployment shouldn't exist. IMHO, those people do not use their extra money to produce jobs here. They are taking that money and investing it overseas. Policies have to be made that keep the money here. Taxing them more is one way to do that. At least that money is forced to support this country.
    The social progams have not been as damaging to this economy as the cost of our military. Do we really need to be police of the World? Do we really need to be in every Coyntry on Earth trying to tell them how to live? Why not force these other countries to pay for their own military. They sit there and grow richer while we tank.
    And, many people lost their retirement funds during the last 10-12 years, so how are they going to make it without some kind of help?

April 30, 2011 at 10:07 a.m.

• Mike, You seem to continue to believe that Obama's policies are popular with the majority, I believe the opposite. We won't know what is really happening until the 2012 election, so there is no use arguing. We had this same discussion in 2010, maybe things have changed somewhat, not from what I am seeing. You may see something different.

The media has continued to demonize the tea party, so you will see those ideas from other sources. The ideas they started with are still there, stronger than ever, without some of the wings.

Please do not take the fact that I don't believe in something to mean that I think it is bad. Liberal ideas are not what I believe is best for our country. I happen to believe robbing Peter to pay Paul results in fewer Peters. Then who do you tax? That is the problem with liberal legislation. It does not support itself without taxing the middle class.

With half the country paying little or no taxes, of course they want to tax the "rich". Add to that those who support bigger government and you have your percentage figures. The problem is the rich can move anywhere. With most money that goes into the inefficient system our government has proven to be not filtering into the economy, soon taxes have to be raised and this will filter down to the middle class.

April 30, 2011 at 7:42 a.m.

• Kyle.

Stop the idiocy you say? Well my friend I couldn’t fully blame them when State Rep Geanie Morrison (R-Victoria) increase college tuition and hinder job growth with HB3015. :) WOW !!!!!!!!! For the first time I am happy.

April 30, 2011 at 4:31 a.m.

• Ed,

Stop the idiocy man! Even WND couldn't BS their way out of that claim:

April 29, 2011 at 10:22 p.m.

• Mike says, "The public is with Obama in the latest budget battle because as I stated yesterday, 74% want to raise taxes on the top 2% rather than privatize Medicare, and the Ryan budget is sinking fast."

That is not a true statement. Here is the latest USA Today/Gallup poll:

" USA Today and Gallup have released a survey that asks the right question: “Which do you think is the better long-term plan for dealing with the federal budget deficit – [the Republican plan put forth by Congressman Paul Ryan (or) the Democratic plan put forth by President Barack Obama]?”"

The Ryan plan is alive and well. What's puzzling about the poll is that young people were more against Medicare cuts than seniors.

And in other Gallup polls:

PRINCETON, NJ -- The large majority of Americans say spending too much money on unneeded or wasteful federal programs is to blame for the federal budget deficit, while 22% say the deficit is a consequence of not raising enough in taxes to pay for needed programs.

And as far as taxing the rich? It's the Democrats by 71% favor taxing the rich to redistribute income. Everyone else (with any sense) not so much.

April 29, 2011 at 2:15 p.m.

• EA,

Bastewerds nicked my idea!

April 29, 2011 at 12:36 p.m.

• It's time for another "Kyle" blog to put an end to this conspiracy.

I want to see the Trump tax returns he promised. He said if Obama would show his birth certificate,he would show his tax returns.......I bet his net worth is not what he claims but he is not a poor man and a lot lot richer than most...Too bad he is no longer for a 14.25 one time tax on the wealthy,pro-choice, and for Universal Heath Care...He once said the GOP had "too many right-wing crazies" and I can't repeat what he said about President George W. Bush in this family forum....But he is self-opinionated and loud ,so that must count for something.

April 29, 2011 at 11:44 a.m.

April 29, 2011 at 11:31 a.m.

• jbj

As you probably know, well respected economists will ALWAYS be on both sides, president Obama does not make his decision in a vacuum. He knows he will not get precisely what he wants because of the separation of powers....That's politics ;always looking for the upper hand.

What you think you saw in the Nov. election is opposite of what is happening today:
    By Sahil Kapur
    Wednesday, March 30th, 2011 -- 3:46 pm
    WASHINGTON – The tea party has hit rock bottom in the eyes of the American public, a new CNN/Opinion Research poll found Wednesday.

Just 32 percent of respondents viewed the tea party favorably, while a record-high 47 percent had a negative view of the movement that propelled Republicans to dramatic Congressional victories last November. Fourteen percent had no opinion, and 7 percent said they've never heard of the tea party.

There is dissatisfaction with Washington period, John Boehner,Harry Reid,Paul Ryan,president Obama,Tea Party, democrats and republicans are showing falling poll numbers.....You lay it all at Obama's feet but he doesn't have a magic wand and conservative ideas are not a truth certain.... We had 30 years of trickle down, tax cuts for the wealthy and income inequality..... It is my understanding that people are tired of ideology and just want a compromise; something like the bipartisan commission on deficit reduction....

You will have a good argument from presidential historians because president Obama is not ranked in the category of Lyndon Johnson,FDR, and Harry Truman when it comes to liberal policies..He has only been in office two plus years and as long as the people like the results of policies;that's all that matters.. The safety net is something democrats will fight for; in fact it's what moderate Bill Clinton fought for when Newt Gingrich and republicans shut down the government....President Clinton fought for no cuts in Medicare. As for the energy policy, you will find that cap- and- trade was initially a conservative republican idea. Then again , you use the word liberal in the pejorative, so you are assuming being the most liberal president is a bad thing..... The public is with Obama in the latest budget battle because as I stated yesterday, 74% want to raise taxes on the top 2% rather than privatize Medicare, and the Ryan budget is sinking fast.

I don't know what you call the average voter nor do I know the amount of their research but I don't do a lot of research. I'm retired, and interested, so I'm able to stay abreast of the latest news...That's no big thing;a little boring for most,I assume.

April 29, 2011 at 11:18 a.m.

• Mike if you are saying birthers are off base, I am with you. Unless there is some real evidence, and from what I see, there isn't, they don't need to be spouting off. I am not part of and do not support the demeaning terms used in reference to his religion or his race. I did not vote for him and would not, but he is our President.

But there are many smart people who disagree with Obama on his handling of the economy because they do not believe what he is doing is working. They disagree on the drilling for oil issue, health care, abortion, spending, and several other issues. Obama is the most liberal of any presidents, has had more success moving our country in that direction, and has awakened a move that has opposed much of this. We saw this in the 2010 elections. That was before the gas price crises.

The quality of your blogs is above the disrespect you show by your comment, "oh great researcher". I may not be the most well read voter, but I would bet that most voters do less research than either of us.

April 29, 2011 at 10:23 a.m.

• "The latest polls show that 85% of democrats are still with him and more are energized because of the recent republican shenanigans in the states....Look it up " oh great researcher, “I have."

I see what you mean, those stinking Republicans are at it again......oops, OMG these aren't Republicans!

"House lawmakers voted overwhelmingly last night to strip police officers, teachers, and other municipal employees of most of their rights to bargain over health care, saying the change would save millions of dollars for financially strapped cities and towns.

The 111-to-42 vote followed tougher measures to broadly eliminate collective bargaining rights for public employees in Ohio, Wisconsin, and other states. But unlike those efforts, the push in Massachusetts was led by Democrats who have traditionally stood with labor to oppose any reduction in workers’ rights."

April 29, 2011 at 10:20 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 29, 2011 at 10:19 a.m.

• ..Kyle the Texas State Rep. Leo Berman: had with him on the floor of the Texas House another document: a purported copy of Obama's Kenyan birth certificate....he is assured of another term in the district he represents...lol....Texas has more than its share of losers at the state and federal levels.

April 29, 2011 at 9:58 a.m.

• My last post was intended for jbj.

April 29, 2011 at 9:52 a.m.

• I will borrow a phrase from BigJ because it fits.... You need to get over yourself because you're not a great researcher; didn't you want to donate to the campaign of Christine O'Donnell? You are a right wing conservative who will always use the word liberal in a pejorative manner. That's OK, but just admit it.........You weren't going to vote for Obama.

I watched all 20 plus, two hour debates, the democratic nomination speech, and several campaign speeches, and his state and national senate votes were available, so it's not like you have information from some secret library. He was not the" Manchurian candidate" as you try to paint him......Those that did not know where he stood on green energy, a woman's right to privacy, Health Care, the Iraq war, taxes, inequality, comprehensive immigration policy, offshore drilling, criteria for Supreme Court judges, religion, and the Theory a Revolution wasn't paying attention to the debates. ....Yes, a lot of people were turned on with his oratory skills but my old high school coach used to give me great pep talk but a player twice my size, hit me in the jaw and brought me back to reality.... The separation of powers does that, the president found out the power of the filibuster in the senate. The latest polls show that 85% of democrats are still with him and more are energized because of the recent republican shenanigans in the states....Look it up " oh great researcher, “I have.

I never cop out of anything, if I make a mistake I apologize, but all along, I've said the birther issue is about race, and I cited a quote from are respected journalist..... I've been around politics for longtime; I can tell a disagreement on policy vs. character. I know about the differences between the political parties and their ideology....Birthism has nothing to do with politics per say.. It's really about a group that can't believe that their country elected a black president. All the evidence in the world will not convince them, that “he is one of us." The lady who cried “I want my country back" in a GOP town hall meeting emphasized that feeling. They started by calling candidate Obama a Muslim, Socialist, Marxist, and who can forget the emails, signs, and the hateful language... They don't represent the majority, in fact, a very small minority, but it's there….Now, let’s put this issue to rest because we have bigger fish to fry.

April 29, 2011 at 9:47 a.m.

• People actually voted for this guy:

April 29, 2011 at 9:17 a.m.

• Writein,

Keep posting, brother. You're proving my point with each word.

April 29, 2011 at 8:50 a.m.

• Mike, I expected Obama to do what he has done because I researched his background. He is far more liberal than he indicated. He did not campaign in this way and some who supported him are no longer behind him. It is about his policies, not his race. He is still the same race as he was, it is his ideology that was not what he campaigned.

The word "back" can mean more than just returning to the way one was. In this case, I meant back as a step backward instead of forward. We elected this man, most people like him as a person, give him credit. It is a cop out and inaccurate to dismiss any criticism as racism.

April 29, 2011 at 6:40 a.m.

• In the real world..........wait this is nowhere near the real world. This is "Bizzaro" world. Would someone please tell us if the election of President Obama in 2008 was illigal why hasn't the GOP used every resource in the book to void the election? They must not be as well informed as some of our commenters. How could the Republican leadership not have the same information as seen here and not had a meltdown over this "fraudulent election"?

And, no, I would not call anyone a racist because they disagree with policy but to go on and on about where he was raised and for how long he lived there and what nationality his father was is just a very thin argument based on his birthright to say he is one of "them".

April 29, 2011 at 2:17 a.m.

• Just a couple of points:

First I never listen to Rush Limbladder, he's an idiot. Secondly I am not a "birther" never have been. Of course it is nonsense - who cares we are circling the drain and this is all you can talk about? Third, I should feel shame for what? Is it because I think Obuma is not leading and instead goes around calling people names, inciting class warfare, and bypassing Congress every chance he gets.

So anyway Mikey anyone who opposes where Obuma is "leading" our nation is a "right wing crazy." Brilliant name calling Mikey just brilliant, gosh I feel like I'm in third grade again, except for the stiff joints, poorer vision and hearing, etc.

April 28, 2011 at 5:54 p.m.

• I sure hope the folks with Caterpillar we buffaloed into moving here don’t read this thread.

April 28, 2011 at 5:09 p.m.

• storm damage
    President will meet with families on Friday

Updated: Thursday, 28 Apr 2011, 2:44 PM CDT
    Published : Thursday, 28 Apr 2011, 11:52 AM CDT

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama says the damage in tornado-stricken states in the Southeast is "nothing short of catastrophic."

Speaking at the White House, Obama says the loss of life has been heartbreaking, especially in Alabama, the state hit hardest. At least 269 people have been killed in six states in the deadliest tornado outbreak in 40 years.

Obama says the federal government will do everything it can to help the states recover and rebuild. He said the first responders who have been helping those in the region are heroes.

Obama will travel to Alabama Friday to view the damage and meet families devastated by the storms. He'll also meet with Alabama Gov. Robert Bentle

April 28, 2011 at 4:29 p.m.

• Writein

It's just an excuse to do some Obama bashing don't fall for it..Rush Limbaugh finished an hour ago supplying them with talking points....They never said a word when President Bush went to a fund raiser in San Diego in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and then just made a fly over on the way back to Washington....It's all partisan right-wing rhetoric to mask the shame they feel since a lot of people are mocking them and calling them "right-wing crazies." for believing the nonsense.

April 28, 2011 at 4:24 p.m.

• Rollinstone.

Why not you get up and do it yourself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 28, 2011 at 4:16 p.m.

• Hundreds of people have died in the south from the violent weather. There is a growing concern about the need for assistance of all kinds to these stricken people.

Fortunately our president is making the rounds of TV shows making jokes and laughing about this birther garbage - he's leading from behind I guess.....what a jackass!

April 28, 2011 at 4:13 p.m.

• Mike.

I bet whoever is the next minority President would suffer the same fate. However I hope that next President would be less nice and apply the "Johnson Treatment" on the lairs. Hell, I would.

April 28, 2011 at 4:11 p.m.

• why this be su important?

April 28, 2011 at 4:07 p.m.

• vet43
    Thanks for sharing...I bet that was an awakening for the Japanese soldier,I think I remember him being interviewed but it could have been a movie I saw....That was long time ago.

I bet the" birthers" will still be arguing long after president Obama raises his hand to start his second term and like the old Japanese soldier,they will get an occasional interview but nobody will pay attention to them...:-)

April 28, 2011 at 4:02 p.m.

• JBJ.

It is you who fall in this trap of yours. Maybe you need to wear my shoes for awhile maybe you would see things in a different light? You know what….you won’t wear those shoes.

So don't pee on my leg and tell me it is raining.

April 28, 2011 at 4:01 p.m.

• Mike and Vet, you can try to re-direct this discussion. But, it comes down to what is LAW. And, not (mine or your) personal OPINION!

You are entitled to the opinion that the 14th amendment limits the categories of citizenship to "natural born" and "naturalized". It also happens to be the belief held by the SCOTUS for the time being.

There is a valid opinion that the 14th amendment brought about a third category of "native born" which only requires birth in the United States OR to an American citizen. That can be argued.

But, for the time being, the existing definition of "Natural born citizen" is birth “in country” (or an American holding) AND by “two citizen parents.”

Why? Because here's what is KNOWN:

Vattel defined "natural born citizen" as one who is born within the country and BOTH mother and father were citizens. The founders used Vattel's Laws of Nations because it was the standard law reference used by nations at the time. This is the term THEY employed when making the special requirement to our President in the Constitution.

They wanted the President holding NO OTHER LOYALTIES to any other country. So NO OTHER country could hold obligation over him!

Under these definitions, it is CRYSTAL CLEAR by the copy of the COLB that Obama provides above (and Obama's own admissions) that his father was Kenyan. That means OBAMA holds dual loyalties to this day and IS NOT a natural born citizen. His father was a British subject at the time of his birth. He inherits the citizenship of their father’s country. This is Natural Law!

Obama is disqualified by NATURAL LAW alone! Natural law is greater than man’s law (Vattel or the Constitution). Because it is law BY NATURE or, more correctly, by nature’s GOD!

Therefore, Obama is (and always has been and always will be) ineligible!

This is true regardless of the pigment of his skin. And, regardless of your personal opinion and personal attacks on those who disagree with you!

April 28, 2011 at 3:55 p.m.

• Mike, Odd you should mention the Japanese holdouts in the P.I. I was at Anderson AFB on Guam 1964-65 and we had a Japanese soldier captured near our base. Can't imagine what he thought when he saw the BUFF's (B-52's) come and go! But he would not accept that the war was lost.

Reminds me of those folks that cannot accept that President Obama is the President of the United States. Just saying it ain't so don't change the shape of the earth. It is round!

April 28, 2011 at 3:22 p.m.

• Quoting John Bingham the father of the 14th amendment

“All from other lands, who by the terms of [congressional] laws and a compliance with their provisions become naturalized, are adopted citizens of the United States; all other persons born within the Republic, of parents owing allegiance to no other sovereignty, are natural born citizens. Gentleman can find no exception to this statement touching natural-born citizens except what is said in the Constitution relating to Indians.” (Cong. Globe, 37th, 2nd Sess., 1639 (1862)).

And again here two years later.

“every human being born within the jurisdiction of the United States of parents not owing allegiance to any foreign sovereignty is, in the language of your Constitution itself, a natural born citizen.” (Cong. Globe, 39th, 1st Sess., 1291 (1866))”

In both cases, there were NO objections from the floor of Congress!

Article 2, Section 1, Clause 5 of the U.S. Constitution stipulates a distinct difference between a “CITIZEN” (14th Amendment) and an Article 2 “NATURAL BORN CITIZEN.”

To only be a “CITIZEN” and become President you would have had to have been “ALIVE AT THE TIME OF THE ADOPTION OF THE CONSTITUTION” (The Grandfather Clause) and still alive today. Since that is impossible, everyone must now to be a NATURAL BORN CITIZEN. As written in Article 2, Section 1, Clause 5.

READ IT. GOOGLE IT.

SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES
    88 U.S. 162
    Minor v. Happersett

All children BORN IN A COUNTRY OF PARENTS WHO WERE ITS CITIZENS become themselves, upon their birth, citizens. These are natives or NATURAL BORN CITIZENS. This distinguishes them from aliens or foreigners.

BOTH PARENTS MUST BE CITIZENS OF THE COUNTRY WHERE THE BIRTH TOOK PLACE FOR THAT CHILD TO BE AN ARTICLE 2 NATURAL BORN CITIZEN WITH SOLE ALLEGIANCE TO OUR COUNTRY.

Natural Law teaches that citizenship is conferred through the father. Todd Leventhal of The U.S. State Dept CONFIRMS Barack Hussein Obama was born a DUAL CITIZEN. Barack Hussein Obama just CONFIRMED with the release of his certificate of live birth that his father was "African", not a U.S. Citizen.

Thus, Obama will NEVER be qualified, either under provisions of our Constitution or Natural Law.

HE IS DE FACTO!

April 28, 2011 at 3:10 p.m.

• Here it is jbj ...Bob Schieffer is not an ideologue,I don't even know what party he belongs to.

CBS Host Calls Trump A Racist, Too

WASHINGTON - One of the most respected journalists at CBS is joining in a chorus of Donald Trump critics, calling the GOP presidential candidate a racist.

Bob Schieffer is a former CBS evening news anchor and has been at CBS since 1969. And in a candid editorial last night, Schieffer trumped the Donald with the race card.

But Schieffer wasn’t angry about Trump’s role in the controversial birther movement.

Schieffer is irate about a Trump interview with the AP, where Trump said Obama wasn’t qualified to go to an Ivy League university.

"That's just code for saying he got into law school because he's black. This is an ugly strain of racism that's running through this whole thing,” Schieffer said about Trump’s comments.

Several on CNN said the same thing.

April 28, 2011 at 2:49 p.m.

• jbj

Am I falling back into are racist trap?.... That's saying that I was once in one... Please elaborate.

The birth certificate issue ,as it relates to some birthers and Donald Trump does have racial overtones because they won't accept the document now that it has been released and are now raising the bar to include school transcripts.

President Obama had a 75% approval after the election, there was no way he was going to sustain that... You have your story to tell and I have mine..His leadership did not live up to what some people expected??? Who Republicans?..... Where do you get these things, what people are you talking about and how do you know? What president has led up to their expectations and how do you know they did? He has been in office for little over two years ....You give him low grades(so what) because you never expected anything from him anyway..... As long as unemployment is high and we continue having a slow recovery, people will naturally be anxious, but 56% of republicans are not happy with their presidential candidates.

You can ask the posters that have been in this forum for over five years; I have cautiously stayed away from the racial issues...As,I said some prominent journalist are saying this issue has to do with race and I have seen many republican posters validate that.

April 28, 2011 at 2:10 p.m.

• Mike, are you falling back into the racist trap? That just does not make sense.

Go back and read my post, I didn't say he should show it, I said he probably did or he would not have run. In an earlier post, I even said it was released in '08. We all have to show certain documents at times in our lives, and not because of our race. We do it because it is required of us to participate in a certain activity or be qualified for something. We all have to show documents in everyday life.

Obama lost some points in approval after the election long before the gasoline prices skyrocketed. His ratings right after the election were very high, but fell as his leadership did not live up to what was expected. And he did not undergo a change in skin tone.

April 28, 2011 at 1:49 p.m.

• Sorry BO, President Obama did not keep this alive. He didn't do anything less than past Presidents did. More was expected of him than any other elected official in the past because of (you fill in the blank). I never played the race card, but this time, I feel that it is a very large part of it. I've heard people talk about him in a negative way it it was always that he was a "the N word"
    It's those who will not take any kind of proof. It is those that will not accept this as proof. We are already hearing it. It's a fake, yada yada yada.

April 28, 2011 at 1:12 p.m.

• Yes,but in a isolated section. They remind me of the Japanese soldiers that remained on the Philippine islands, not knowing that the war was over..... There weren't very many but they didn't know how irrelevant they were.

April 28, 2011 at 1:09 p.m.

• It seems the fringe lies geographically on top of Victoria.

April 28, 2011 at 1 p.m.

• The only person who kept the "birther" movement alive was BO himself by refusing to show a simple document.

It may have been a stroke of political genius on his part, however, because it bought him time from having to answer more pressing questions.

April 28, 2011 at 12:58 p.m.

• vet43

I flipped on the news as I was eating dinner and realized that president Obama has put this issue to rest for the serious people. As he introduced himself at a New York fundraiser last night, he said "I'm Barack Obama, president of United States and born in the state of Hawaii....No, I didn't have to show ID on a way in " at that point he opened his coat pocket and said " just in case" to the delight of those in attendance. I can just imagine when he uses that line in front of 75,000 people at televised events on the campaign.....By mocking the "birthers" he has successfully put them on the fringe right, where they belong...... We can only stop this nonsense by laughing at those that try to keep it alive......They will eventually go away.

April 28, 2011 at 12:57 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 28, 2011 at 12:53 p.m.

• Waywardwind

I stand corrected ,my apologies but I've could've sworn that you said that you couldn't have the first amendment without the second amendment.... I assumed you meant it was your favorite, evidently I was wrong, but liking the fourth amendment is not bad at all.

April 28, 2011 at 12:40 p.m.

• Ahhh, but Mike...MY favorite amendment is the Fourth.

April 28, 2011 at 12:04 p.m.

• You're right vet43, the enemy is us, because the media wants to satisfy our needs, so they booked Donald Trump as if he had something important to say; knowing all along his controversial statements brought ratings.

April 28, 2011 at 11:59 a.m.

• I agree but when you get old and contrary like me, it starts to wear on ones nerves..... For the umpteenth time, I don't have a problem with identifying myself when I need to, but the short form from Hawaii was sufficient proof that the president of the United States was born in this country....When he shows what some have requested and then they want copies of his transcripts;it leads people to believe what they thought all along.

April 28, 2011 at 11:50 a.m.

• I am happy he quit. I know how hard that is even without the stress he has. So if that is not what they mean "he is one of them" what "them" is it these people have such a deep hate for? Pogo was right about the enemy!

April 28, 2011 at 11:46 a.m.

• The last I heard the president quit smoking.
    Posted at 2:13 PM ET, 02/ 8/2011
    Michelle Obama: The president has quit smoking.
    By Nia-Malika Henderson

Michelle Obama confirmed Tuesday that her husband has kicked his decades-long smoking habit.

So he's not one of them either..:-)

April 28, 2011 at 9:30 a.m.

• Releasing your frickin' birth certificate is "jumping through a hoop?"

April 28, 2011 at 9:30 a.m.

• Maybe what some of the posters are saying is "He is one of them." I only wish that I could believe that they are refering to the Presidents being a smoker.

April 28, 2011 at 9:23 a.m.

• ed post

You can wrap yourself around the flag and sing Yankee Doodle Dandy all day long for all I care, but not everyone wants a live in a " show me your papers" country. I'm not under any obligation to produce my birth certificate ,just to show how proud I am to be an American citizen.....

This all started early in the campaign with the issue about the lapel pin,where superficial " yellow ribbon patriots" thought it was un- American for a presidential candidate not to be wearing one... Rather than waste time on the superficial, the president donned one and took the issue off the table.

If the president would have been a republican he would have been applauded for his rags- to- riches story. He started on welfare ,applied himself in college then went on to become a state senator, democratic senator and eventually the president of the United States...that's usually the all-American story but some like to add caveats.

People don't have to like his policies(many don't) or have to like him personally but that's no reason he has to jump through hoops just to be called an American citizen.

April 28, 2011 at 9:22 a.m.

• Kids have to show birth certificates to sign up for Little League Baseball, for God's sake, but BO feels it's not required of the most powerful man in the world?

Wasn't BO the one who said, "Transparency and the rule of law will be the cornerstones of this presidency."

What happened to that guy?

April 28, 2011 at 9:19 a.m.

• waywardwind

Do you have any proof that I overreact when someone say something unflattering about the president? I think not, but I didn't address "someone"..I specifically spelled out your screen name.

I don't need any help or people to come to my side because I was ignoring Thor's theories. I consider the source....But, you didn't leave at that because you want a reaction when you question the president's patriotism... It's a dog whistle for your cohorts;" I'm not with you on this but he's still not one of us".....IMO

I'm not ashamed that the 14th amendment is my favorite, no more than you are of the second amendment.... I don't see anything wrong with that.

April 28, 2011 at 9:06 a.m.

• jbj

Nice try but no cigar, some of us are capable of hearing the dog whistle"pssst he's not one of us." Not once in 235 years has any president been asked to produce a long form birth certificate, when the sealed and signed birth certificate from the state of Hawaii was sufficient. Now, some have moved the cross bars to include college transcripts.... Yesterday. I heard some prominent journalist who said that this was blatant racism. They said there was no other way to describe it.

Of the 69 million people that voted for president, how can you tell how many researched his policies?.... That amounts to a talking point because all you had to do was listen because he never deviated from the established democratic platform. I imagine they put more time in researching the policies of this president, than John McCain put in when he nominated Sarah Palin to be his running mate.

Look over the history of presidential politics and you will find that approval ratings go hand in hand with gasoline prices... Since we are talking about polls and policies; how ironic how the tide has changed since last year..This year, at least least 9 GOP town hall meetings have been met with angry constituents because their representative voted to privatize Medicare.... About 74% of the American people want to raise taxes on the top 2% rather than privatize Medicare and Medicaid....In fact, fact 54% of republicans want to go to that route.....Harry Reid will see if the GOP senators want to go the Ryan way when he puts it on the floor for a vote...That's politics.

April 28, 2011 at 8:53 a.m.

• Anyone running for President must show a birth certificate. This is a requirement, like insurance cards if you want to get your car inspected. George Bush had to show his birth certificate. Obama did too, and he did or he would not have been in the race.

Let's get over the racist issue. Obama was elected by popular vote, and comfortable margin. People in American knew he was half black, he did not hide that fact. They liked him and they liked what he had to say. Those who voted for him did it because they thought he would be the best man for the job. Some did not research his background and were surprised with some of the decisions he made with the economy and other issues. He does not have the approval rating he had right after the election because some people do not like some of his policies. This has nothing to do with the color of his skin. Most people still like President Obama, just disagree with him on many issues.

April 28, 2011 at 7:31 a.m.

• Anybody got a link to Dubyas long form birth certificate so I can compare the two side by side?

Now the President's grades are going to be questioned to see if he merited an ivy league education.

The political correctness on the right is a struggle for them but does make me smile.

Remember the "good ole " days GOP?

When you could just say "uppity"?

April 28, 2011 at 6:45 a.m.

• Edpost.

I take your branding me as Un-American as LITERAL, YES LITERAL slap in the face, Todd Jett !!!!!!! The attitude expressed by you and others are UN-AMERICAN !!!!! I would rather burn in hell, then standing shoulder and shoulder with you.

If I were President and some dummy deicide to question my birth, I would tell them to go straight to H3LL. Why would President Writein do that.? Because it is private. Because I DO NOT HAVE PROVE MY AMERICANISM to anyone. Because I DO NOT HAVE TO PROVE MY PATRIOTISM. The very act questioning one’s Citizenship or Patriotism is nothing more than playing I got you politics.

Waving the flog doesn’t proving anything. Any fool can wave the flag. Any fool can wave a Birth Certificate. Any fool can go on this backwater hick newspapers forum and spread gossip. BUT A REAL PATRIOT WOULD TELL YOU TO MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. A REAL PATRIOT WOULD TELL YOU TO LEAVE MY FAMILY ALONE. A REAL PATRIOT WOULD GET OFF HIS/HER @$$ AND FIX THINGS IN THE COMMUNITY OR NATION.

WHO ARE YOU? A FOOL OR PATRIOT?

SIGNED,
    J.WILLIAMS.

April 28, 2011 at 5:25 a.m.

• Waywardwind.

You made another foolish comment by telling MIKE that is not Personal. According to the comments/blogs made over the years by Itisi, Kenneth Sheutiet, Thor, edpost, and cb19925, and others it seems personal. Hell, I was called a criminal and a pirate by Thor a couple of weeks ago just voting for Obama in 2008. So let’s not go there.

It has gotten so personal that I have to sign my own name.
    J. Williams.

April 28, 2011 at 5 a.m.

• Wow, Mike! I don't know whether to be impressed that you went to so much effort to study my previous posts or feel sorry for you for not having a life.

Anyway, what is your point?

April 27, 2011 at 11:03 p.m.

• Next time there's an unofficial road checkpoint on US59 manned by members of the public that tries to stop our cars and inspect our documentation I'm sure we will all happily oblige because we're proud, right?

April 27, 2011 at 10:37 p.m.

• As the world turns all our children are in General Hospital. I have read the comments with great interest and have found that some folks would argue with the law of gravity. There comes a point that we have to wonder how hard that wall is that these people are beating their heads against is or is it just a fun thing to do? Really.
    The man is a citizen of the United States and he is the President. Now if you don't want him to be President again please use all your logic and knowledge of the Constituton to elect someone else. Maybe Trump?

April 27, 2011 at 10:19 p.m.

• It's also perfectly legitimate for a person to believe that the Sun revolves around the Earth, but some things are best left to echoing around the dark recesses of ones mind instead of letting them see the light of day.

It's bad enough having a significant pectange of this country willing to dismiss evolution or watching Bill Nye being booed at a religious conference in Texas for daring to state that the moon does not generate its own light - perhaps these are the same people who believe this nonsense too?

I don't know who is the "winner" in this situation but im sure as hell it wasn't common sense.

April 27, 2011 at 8:36 p.m.

• Mike...Are you somehow related to Obama? Seems that when someone says something unflattering about the president, you act like somebody insulted your grandkids. It's not personal, Mike. Besides, I was on your side about the citizenship thing.

By the way, I'll admit that I am not surprised that your favorite amendment is the 14th. I kinda expected that to be the case.

April 27, 2011 at 8:35 p.m.

• OK... I am with those who do not think that the citizenship of Obama is the most pressing issue. However, we are required to show birth certificates when we get our driver's licenses, enter some schools, and at certain other times. It is not unreasonable to have to show a birth certificate, and I remember that the short form of Obama's was shown in '08.

But take a look at the comments here. Some are questioning a document of a President. This is a legitimate question, tho probably not a necessary one at this point. Some question his background, such as his educational history. Bush was also the subject of such questions, including his military service. So when the same questions are asked regarding Obama, is this really so unreasonable? Considering there were those who claim this is unreasonable, then I guess questions regarding the genitals of President Bush is reasonable?

April 27, 2011 at 7:41 p.m.

• Thor, Why don’t bithers sling this “natural born citizen” nonsense to the Panamanian-born Presidential candidate.

I wish Obama hadn’t shown this birth certificate.

April 27, 2011 at 5:32 p.m.

• Thor.

Get over yourself. Even when the facts are looking at you stright in the face proves my point about you. You are a closet BIGOT. Thats right I said. Do not try your " I am for Obama because he is black and I am black" game with me. Because the President have p'ed me off over the energy plan and the budget. I wasn't going to voting for President Obama in 2012 over this, but with people like you, itisi, Waywardwind, and the two faceness of the Texas election patterns. I will vote for Barack Obama in 2012.

signed,
    J. Williams

April 27, 2011 at 5:28 p.m.

• waywardwind

I don't know to whom you are addressing but I know the 14th amendment. It's my favorite.

Why do you think everyone needs to know how much you dislike this president? It's been a daily event but that's your business.... Does it really matter if you question his patriotism or if I question yours? Is it because you are the most revered poster and your opinion counts twice as much?

I have never question anyone's patriotism and I hope it never comes to that. I think it's a smokescreen for something else...I've had my patriotism questioned,so I know how it feels.

Thor I have not tried to debunk your theory or even try to rationalize it...I just ignored it.

April 27, 2011 at 5:20 p.m.

• Thor
    I have tried to put it to you nicely; I don't buy your theory, so you're wasting your time on me.

Why don't you and wayward take it elsewhere, where you can appreciate each others company; being constitutional experts, you're wasting your time on this lowly poster's blog.

April 27, 2011 at 5:15 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

April 27, 2011 at 5:10 p.m.

• Barack and Michelle are the same person - funny how we never see them together, right?

April 27, 2011 at 5:01 p.m.

• Don’t despair. This silliness isn’t over yet.
    I saw a Republican on TV last night question whether Obama really attended Harvard.
    He said it’s strange that they haven’t been able to locate anyone who can place him there.
    Also, this is an oldie, but even funnier: Did Obama flunk Kindergarten?

April 27, 2011 at 4:58 p.m.

• "Well then , I'll show you, and it is not a theory, The Supreme Court decision that “a natural born” is the child of citizens. A natural born citizen is not the child of an alien. In this there is no doubt."

If this was true, how do you explain all those babies born of illegal alien women who are granted birthright US citizenship because momma managed to cross the river before the contractions got too bad? Of all the things I don't like about the president, I've never questioned his citizenship. I've questioned his patriotism but not his citizenship.

April 27, 2011 at 4:49 p.m.

• vet43

I bet the hardest thing the book these days is a "birther." .... I imagine the talk shows will have two or three of them for each segment. You can't shame them, because that train left the station a long time ago..... I can just see Chris Matthews booking as many Birthers as possible, just to ridicule them ,but the birthers will think they're being invited because they have a legitimate point of view...lol

I guess the media wants to squeeze everything they can out of this, before moving on to the wedding of Kate and William.... At least that's real.

April 27, 2011 at 4:01 p.m.

• Lol....Thor, I didn't ask for your theory but like everything else you skimmed over it.... Not interested, nor impressed with your theories..... If I want to educate myself, I'll use legitimate sources.

You might use this time to write another blog but this time tell your followers,why you are right and the rest of the world is wrong.

April 27, 2011 at 3:49 p.m.

• edpost
    That's the obstetrician's fingernails

April 27, 2011 at 3:48 p.m.

• The latest political debate talking points:

1. I heard from a guy that............
    2. Did you hear that ________ had an affair?
    3. This was a fake done by a black ops group..........
    4. If he did what they said...................
    5. I have proof that he was on the grassy knoll.
    6. There is a law that we don't have to pay taxes because.....

And my favorite,
    7. It was in the newspaper and TV so it must be true!

April 27, 2011 at 3:35 p.m.

• Now that's funny!

April 27, 2011 at 3:33 p.m.

• Lol.. I just consider the source....Why would anyone take the advice of someone who posted this on April 7,2011

BOstinks posted "Hey, I am totally cool with eliminating the requirement all together, but BO was born in Indonesia and that's why we will never see his birth certificate. The Hawaii governor doesn't want to release it because he doesn't have it.

I don't have a problem with him being born out of this country. I'd even give him a pass if he admitted he was born in Indonesia. But it's his insistence to avoid the question and sweep it under the rug that bothers me. And the ones who want to see his birth certificate (follow the rule of law) are called crazy.

Maybe his birth certificate lists him as Anglo. He'd have to give back all the money he's received from his image on T-shirts and gold coins.

The uninformed electorate will continue to back him whether he releases his birth certificate or not, so I don't really see this as a big issue....HUH,talking about yourself ..Bachmann/Trump

Uninformed? The first paragraph is a tell all...lol

Obama in a landslide in 2012..the GOP has moved their debates until sometime next year when some serious candidates sign up.

April 27, 2011 at 3:18 p.m.

• Mike,

Never was a big fan of W and would never serve as an apologist for him. You could insert any Republican in that post and it would still be true. Problem is most Dems don't have the intellectual honesty to admit their hypocrisy.

Now let's get to the real issues that will make BO a one-termer.

April 27, 2011 at 3:14 p.m.

• Kyle,

Do yourself a favor and look up hypothetical in the dictionary. Hypocrite may be on the same page so look that up, too.

Mike,

I guess you are "that other guy."

April 27, 2011 at 3:05 p.m.

• I guess releasing the long form is equivalent to" turning on the lights and watching the cockroaches come out. "Now,Tea Party Nation,founder Judson Phillips, wants Obama to release his school records because he may have received a foreign scholarship. Mr. Phillips thinks that the president may have had a dual citizenship scholar ship because his father was a British subject in Kenya. If that doesn't work, try this for size, Obama lost his citizenship when he was adopted by his Indonesian stepfather..... He was six years old when he was adopted, not 18....... Why don't they just say " he's not one of us" and be done with it.... At least that's honest.

A document dump wouldn't satisfy the "birthers" because the issue is much more important than the facts.....

April 27, 2011 at 2:25 p.m.

• You don't ever want to mess with a lawyer/dentist...

What a combo!

April 27, 2011 at 2:24 p.m.

• This isn't going to change anything for those who refuse to believe he was born in Hawaii.

April 27, 2011 at 2:22 p.m.

• Here they come:

From the LA Times quoting Wh'Orly Taint:

""We have to continue with transparency that Barack Obama has promised the nation, and continue working on this issue, getting to the bottom of the facts," said Taitz, a California lawyer and dentist.

Taitz said she's been bombarded with media requests after the White House announcement, and has only briefly inspected the document released Wednesday morning. Based on that initial glance she said she has some questions as to its veracity. For instance, she wondered why Obama’s father's race was listed as "African," when she says the contemporary term used would have been "Negro.""

April 27, 2011 at 1:53 p.m.

• Hictoria

A republican governor for the state of Hawaii has vouched for the authenticity of the document...... There are people out there who say that we never went to the Moon, President Bush has something to do with the 9/11 attack etc..... There are times when we need to accept things as they are and just move on.

As I said, the burden of proof is on the birthers but their credibility is down there with Orally Taitz.

Thanks for the clip...I remember the scene and that's an accomplishment at my age..:-)

April 27, 2011 at 1:43 p.m.

• BO,

So you're equating the stupidity of believing Obama wasn't a US Citizen with believing Dubya has the best of both genital worlds?

In 2000 I heard a lot of folk saying Dubya could go f**k himself - how prophetic!

April 27, 2011 at 1:41 p.m.

Here is the clip for those who have never saw the movie :)

April 27, 2011 at 1:39 p.m.

• The apologists for President George W. Bush still think everything is about him.

Well if aunt Millie had grown a beard, we could've called her Uncle Fred.

The word hypocrite has been used so much out of context that it's been reduced to a buzz word for describing the other guy.

April 27, 2011 at 1:32 p.m.

• Mike - speaking of snake oil salesman, that reminded me of the movie "The outlaw Josey Wales" when the salesman was trying to sell him a bottle of his cure all. The salesman kept on and on saying it works on everything. Then, Josey spits tobacco on his suit and says, "How does it work on stains!" Priceless...

April 27, 2011 at 1:32 p.m.

• There are still people out there that believe it could of been manufactured due to several discrepancies on the form...

I guess my question would be, is it possible to manufacture a document like that?

I wonder if people believe everything they read...

April 27, 2011 at 1:21 p.m.

• Thanks Edith Ann

Juanita always has some good stuff on her blog...:-)
    I wonder the Rev. Franklin Graham is still a supporter of Donal Trump?After all, he once said "President Obama is infected with the seed of Islam."..What a joke!

April 27, 2011 at 1:20 p.m.

• If rumors swirled that W was born out of wedlock and was a hermaphrodite, you whiny Dems would have demanded to see his birth certificate. Don't be such a hypocrite.

April 27, 2011 at 1:17 p.m.

• Thor

Short and sweet, "I don't know" is the answer to your question.... I could've looked up the definition of "Jus soli, and Jus sanguinis" and pretend to be an expert. You get beyond that when you get to be my age. I'm really not interested and I'm not impressed with your theories.

I did my part, I answer your question but I'm not a practicing Atty. nor do I pretend to be one. I'm not a constitutional expert; nor do I pretend to be one.... I am what I am, so I don't put on any airs.

Have a good day

April 27, 2011 at 1:12 p.m.

• JD.... My answer remains, the president in United States does not have to bring himself down to the level of conspiracy theorists...... According to what I have read, the short form satisfied the state of Hawaii as an official document for any purpose in that state. I have now read the long form where they ask for just a few extra questions....... Do you know how much it cost to send a surrogate from Washington, DC to the state of Hawaii? It's not an issue that was haunting him every minute; like for the birthers... He was a private citizen(presidential candidate) when the conspiracy theorists first made their claim,so as the article I provided stated, many issues come up in campaigns to where lawyers are summoned..... So, do you have a problem with Obama using campaign money that is audited by the Federal Elections Committee or using a Federal Atty.?

April 27, 2011 at 1:02 p.m.

• Mike,

check this out--

I like the comment about wanting to see the death certificate for the thing on Trump's head.

April 27, 2011 at 12:45 p.m.

• Mike said: "which suggests that any birth certificate work was a small percentage of the overall fees paid to Perkins Coie."

Mike...my question remains...why spend even one dime or tie up one taxpayer paid Federal attorney for even one minute, when all he needed to do was release then, what he has done now?

April 27, 2011 at 12:04 p.m.

• Kyle
    I too, am disappointed that the administration stooped to the level of the birthers. It took the issue off the table, to the delight of many of their political opponents.....But, the announcement of Leon Panetta as the new defense secretary and General Petraeus as a new head of the CIA wouldn't get its fair share of the attention in the news.... The news outlets just wanted to book Donal Trump, so they could print his outrageous claims...Trump will get another day or two to defend his birther claim , then he will have to answer some questions of substance...He's not doing too well.

I bet WND and Freerepublic are jammed with bloggers looking for new material.

April 27, 2011 at 11:59 a.m.

• On one hand I am disappointed that Obama decided to do this - it wasn't necessary and if people wanted to waste their time on this issue then that was their problem.

On the other hand, it will be good to see what new theories arise as these idiots venture even further into the Twilight Zone to justify their imbecilic beliefs.

April 27, 2011 at 11:43 a.m.

• Edith Ann
    Trump is a classic snake oil salesman, who will hook up with any cause if he thinks it will help him and drop it like a hot potato when it doesn't.....He is the GOP frontrunner,in some polls.

April 27, 2011 at 11:36 a.m.

• Attention shoppers, this is a red herring! We are trillions of dollars in debt both short and long term debt. Don't look now but we are far along on the road to perdition - with or without a legitimate birth certificate, at this point it really doesn't matter.

April 27, 2011 at 11:34 a.m.

• Newcowboyintown

It won't be over for some, in fact a new conspiracy blog may be in the making as we speak.... Remember in the old cowboy movies ,where the mother of small children would hide them under her apron,as they passed the " snake oil salesman" trying to sell his wares as a cure all..... Hopefully, when the next "birther" blog comes out, local posters will avoid it like a plague..... That's all we can hope for,locally.

On the national front,shameless politicians who were on the fence, will now make a bold statement saying that they were against some those "birther" claims all along...:-)

April 27, 2011 at 11:30 a.m.

• JD,this is from Politifact:...I'll give you the answer.....Big RED FALSE on WND claim of $2 million in legal fees defending Birther issue.

We interpret the quotations by Trump and Palin to mean payments made by Obama in a personal capacity, not in cases where he's represented in an official capacity by government lawyers. For one thing, both Trump and Palin used the term "legal fees," which would be irrelevant in a case defended by government lawyers. Federal attorneys are paid a salary by the taxpayers, and they do not charge their "client" -- in this case, the president -- fees for representation. If these attorneys weren't working on birth certificate cases, they'd be working on some other case for the same salary.

So that leaves the funds paid to Perkins Coie. Trump's and Palin's claims assume that the vast majority of the money paid to Perkins Coie since the election was used to defend against lawsuits challenging Obama's citizenship. We agree that some amount of money was spent in legal fees related to those lawsuits -- the letter from Bauer to the plaintiff is an example of that. But, while we don't know exactly how much the Obama camp spent on their private lawyers, there were many, many non-birth-certificate duties that a law firm typically handles in the wake of a presidential campaign, which suggests that any birth certificate work was a small percentage of the overall fees paid to Perkins Coie.

When fact-checking, we think the onus is on the person making the claim to back up his statement. And the only backing we've seen in this case is that the Obama campaign's legal team spent more than $2 million on legal fees since the election ended. It's clear to us that the WND story has been twisted to wrongly assume that every dollar the Obama campaign spent on legal fees went to fight the release of Obama's birth certificate. The evidence shows that's simply not true. It's a huge, unsubstantiated leap to assume that all, or most, of that was related to lawsuits about Obama's citizenship. We rule Trump's claim False.

April 27, 2011 at 11:19 a.m.

• Hope you are right Mike - hope this is over now.

April 27, 2011 at 11:03 a.m.

• It is probably only Trump's ego (and the hair) that keeps him from hooking up with those in Victoria who know the truth.

Trump's loss is Victoria's gain.

yeah.

April 27, 2011 at 11:03 a.m.

• Number 1........It probably is concluded for most Americans.......Number 2..Show some proof (legitimate sources only ,please)that his legal team fought so hard and spent so much money to defend the baseless claims....I don't think the country will pay much attention to the Birther wants anymore....Since you are one of the 10 I mentioned (comment section) is the word "fantastic" a substitute for "I'm sorry" or an excuse to follow another fishing expedition.

"Fought hard and spent so much" can have different meanings...Some might say a representative answering a subpoena and paying that representative market prices is fighting hard and paying a lot.....The burden of proof now lies at the doorstep of the Birthers.

April 27, 2011 at 10:59 a.m.

• Fantastic! Now, if he would explain why he and his legal staff fought so hard and spent so much money to keep from doing so and maybe this matter can be concluded.

April 27, 2011 at 10:41 a.m.