Comments

• I'm becoming concerned the Governor may be peaking too soon. He's already gone through global warming and creationism. He needs to pace himself or he's going to be at faked moon landings and flat earth theories before the months over if he doesn't ease up.

August 19, 2011 at 4:41 a.m.

• Newcowboyintown

Excellent post...... I can't remember the last time someone's mind was changed but it's more about the exchange of ideas. I don't expect everyone to agree with everything I post, that would be foolish, it's more of a " looky here... I have a different opinion" and the discussion begins.

It would be dull if we all agreed, and sometimes I have to play devil's advocate just to convince myself..:-) I can't remember if I've told you this but I had a boss who used to tell the ten of us " if all you come up with the same answer; nine of you are not thinking."

Keep commenting

August 18, 2011 at 11:44 a.m.

• vet43

The storm it just off the coast of Africa right now, by this time next year the rhetoric will be sky high and manners will become extinct. It will be 2007 all over again, where hateful words will be the norm. It's personal for a lot of posters because they have a genuine hate for this president but they want to disguise it as being because of the economy. We've been through bad times before and expenses have exceeded revenues for a long time. Fear mongering won't help.

The truth is, no one has a solution for jobs. The president will announce his jobs proposal in two weeks but it won't pass in the house. Even if it passed ,it would only have minimum short term effect. Last month economists were praising Germany, it has now been revealed that they only had a 0.2% job growth in the last quarter. Its bad all over and Hoover like tactics like "austerity only" will only make it worse. The economy won't pick up until the latter part of next year and cutting corporate rates, capital gains rates, tort reform, and repealing Dood-Frank will not create any jobs, all it does is supply the political rhetoric machine.

I can remain civil and discuss economics'all day long knowing that minds won't be changed but I won't become a pin cushion for those that want to personalize the issue.

August 18, 2011 at 11:30 a.m.

• blog - a Web site that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks provided by the writer; also : the contents of such a site

I don't see the words argue - win - or - lose in there. I feel that so many people feel they must win a discussion in a blog. The are two sides - and it is okay to disagree as we have before Mike - keep at it - always a good read in your blogs. I don't agree with all you say, but you challenge me to think.
    I am a conservative thinking - liberal accepting Texan that marches to my own band while listening to everyone elses music. How dull it would be if we all were the same and thought the same.

August 18, 2011 at 11:16 a.m.

• Mike,

I think you may have pointed out one of the glaring problems with some of the comments posted on this site. Lack of good manners.

August 18, 2011 at 11:03 a.m.

• Wow, is this what goes on while I'm asleep?

Thanks Kyle

Beakus

I was snoring pretty good when you responded but let me see what your latest complaint is. This all came about because I didn't answer your Goldilocks & the three bears, like question as to whether the size of government is too big, too small, or just right. I imagine you could ask that of GE and get the same response.

You know Kenneth Schustereit and I, were as different as night and day, but( I believe he was an original poster) we never tangled. He even e-mailed to wish me a Merry Christmas and once or twice we wished each other a happy Veterans Day. I may have made a couple of comments on his blog and vice- versa. The point of the story, I never felt the need to read his blogs, and he probably felt the same. We have options. I don't have an AM radio except in my car and if Dish TV removed channel 205 (Fox) I wouldn't miss it, and you won't find me commenting on another political blog, just to be argumentative. I know there are two sides; It is not my job to present both sides( but occasionally I will-,to clarify a point) but since writing blogs is just a time-consuming hobby, I give my version, often times, supported with links.

Now, if you took the time to read my profile, my comments, or just look at my avatar, you would know that I'm a bias liberal Democrat; unlike some, I don't run away from my beliefs......There is no whining in politics and you won't always get your way.....It's down and dirty and not for the faint at heart;that's why I keep my politics secular.

You posted " CYA is quite obvious in every blog you issue by the fact that you have more comments then all the rest of the folks put together. " ... I would've done my math before posting, but that's just me...I made 21 of 44 comments but didn't know the forum's rules about acknowledging credible comments and responding. I guess I've been breaking the rules for six years because I have even responded when the topic wasn't politics. I thought it was good manners.

August 18, 2011 at 9:59 a.m.

• So if BO has quit smoking, then what is this he is trying to blow up our a--es with the Department of Jobs? This just gets more comical each day.

August 18, 2011 at 7:50 a.m.

• Getsmart,

Get smart about what you comment on - I'll leave your poor judgment skills for another day.

Keep up the good work, Mike.

August 18, 2011 at 1:01 a.m.

• Fixated = dedicated in my book when it comes to Mike and his blogs. Anyway, Beakus aren't you somewhat "dedicated" to the LORD?

:-)

August 17, 2011 at 10:52 p.m.

• You are quite fixated alright. I have never seen anyone quite as fixated in the Vic Ad blog section as you since the days of Ken S. You have one topic, politics, one idea, Democrat, one agenda, to make anyone with a "R" behind their name to look like an idiot. You are the minor league version of a Rush, Sean, or Keith, very little difference.
    And the CYA is quite obvious in every blog you issue by the fact that you have more comments then all the rest of the folks put together. Goodnight and have a good one.

August 17, 2011 at 10:11 p.m.

• Vet43
    I won't  let the  minor scrummages deter me, but I'm used to conservatives thinking they hold the keys to the truth and if you disagree with them you are a liberal and you know they can't be believed or trusted.....:-)

Have a good one.

August 17, 2011 at 5:48 p.m.

• Mike,

Keep walking the walk. There will always be a barracks lawyer somewhere that thinks debate is something you use fishing. Stories change, facts do not.

August 17, 2011 at 5:37 p.m.

• Beakus

I discuss politics everyday so I don't have a hidden agenda or the need to protect a political party because anything I say can be verified. You can spend days looking up my comment history. I stand up for myself everyday, it may not be to your liking, but I'm not trying to impress you.

You seem to think that everyone thinks like you and if they don't, they are covering up for someone or oneself.

It was a loaded question because you submitted the questions to get the discussion going that you wanted. I am not fixated on draconian cuts right now but that's all you want to discuss. I want to discuss the other side of the equation,jobs,jobs,jobs.

I know the consequences of austerity only. I like to think I'm more broadminded than that.

CYA? lol,from what ,whom? ..You are taking these posts far too seriously.

August 17, 2011 at 4:48 p.m.

• Mike. You are really dull. And that was not a loaded question. Stand up for what you think and quit trying to protect party and people. If you would have said either one of the three I did not have a plan of attack. You have the same mind set of our politicians. Protect yourself and the party at all cost. Heck yes we need to focus on jobs. We also need to look ourselves in the eye and say, enough is enough on the out of control spending. But seriously, lighten up on the CYA.

August 17, 2011 at 4:31 p.m.

• vet43
    I'd can't take credit for that because I remember a priest telling us that one time... He said integrity is within and people cannot bestow that on you.... They may suspect you have integrity but do they really know?

August 17, 2011 at 4:23 p.m.

• Beakus

I would say that is a loaded question because you're fishing for an answer to satisfy your argument.

There have never been any serious talks because the GOP has signed the Grover Norquist "no tax increases" pledge.

We know that the elephant in the room is entitlements, defense spending , and interest on the debt because that is 60% of the budget... We've already nickel and dimed discretionary spending but that won't seriously reduce deficits and debt.

Again for the umpteenth time, my focus is on jobs and the debt can be slowly reduced when we start to recover. A 1% growth will eliminate the need for some discretionary spending cuts. Again, in this world economy where our trading partners are also hurting, we need to cut slowly because cuts means job losses. Public and private jobs losses hurt the economy because that's less people who will consume. Unless we start consuming we will never fix the demand problem we have.

That's not the answer that you want but your fixated on spending cuts and I think the emphasis should be on jobs right now.

August 17, 2011 at 4:14 p.m.

• "Integrity is what someone does when no one is watching" is the perfect difinition of the concept. I would dream of sitting in Barbara Jordens Ethics Course.

August 17, 2011 at 4:01 p.m.

• Mike. Would you say that the size of our govenment is small, about right, or too large in reference to annual cost on our taxpayers. I know the gov has fifteen departments (commerce, defense, labor, etc..) that emplloyee (pay) 2,500,000 Americans at a cost of $1,500,000,000,000 annually to fund and run them. To my knowledge, and I could be oh so wrong, there have not been any significant cuts to these departments. Just curious if there has been any serious talk on either side of the aisle on reducing, combining, downsizing these elephants when the debates were taking place recently.

August 17, 2011 at 3:57 p.m.

• Getsmart

I don't usually get involved with personal stories(they cannot be verified) or one sided hypotheticals... I'm usually a meat and potatoes person; show me the documented facts or your personal knowledge and expertise...Yes I know, I'm pretty dull.

The government gets back and $1.84 for every dollar it spends on food stamps. They don't get any economic benefit when they pay $7.00 for a 12 oz bottled water. It's the same way for unemployment benefits and~$1.34 for every dollar it spends. The money is spent and starts the money circulations we need in our credit based economy. I'm not advocating more food stamps or unemployment benefits but I'm putting in a way some might not be aware of.

We are not even contemplating integrity because integrity is usually sold to the highest bidder. I have always believed integrity is what someone does when no one is looking... How many CEOs have gone to jail for the 2008 financial crisis?

August 17, 2011 at 3:11 p.m.

• vet43
    Thanks for that information, I didn't know how involved he was in that industry.

I understand how the governor can use the power the bully pulpit to influence legislation and in appointing people to the various powerful commissions. He also has the power to appoint conservative judges but I meant that he doesn't deal in the day to day political deal making. Sometimes he uses an auto pen to sign all the bills the legislation passes. The lieutenant governor keeps him abreast.

He does have some executive powers and he tried to use that executive mandate by making all sixth-grade girls get vaccinated against a sexually transmitted virus that causes most cervical cancers. A congressional committee overruled him.

August 17, 2011 at 2:52 p.m.

• Mike,

After I retired I worked for a state agency for some time and made many trips to Austin. I have met with Gov. Perry and many of his staff and learned where my bread is buttered and where the butter comes from. While it is true the Lt. Governor has alot of power the Governor also is deeply involved in developing programs and directing state funds.

In the case of Gov. Perry, he has a very close relationship with Ag and food production industry in Texas. If folks will use the TWC web site to do some research they will see how massive the food indusrty is and how much money is involved. This area of our economy is also the lion's share of undocumented workers.

How many of us eat beef, sausage, seafood, chicken, eggs, mushrooms, spices or almost any thing that comes to our table, and not stop to think where it comes from. Easy, food producers all over the state of Texas after it all must pass through Austin and drop off a share of the "pie".

August 17, 2011 at 2:37 p.m.

• Getsmart

So you're against the lazy and those that that are abusing the system. That's fine, but I think we have oversight boards to determine that but they are the the first agency to go in a downsizing economy. Some will slip through the cracks but if you have substantial proof, it's probably your civic duty to report it instead of painting with a broad brush. Do you put as much scrutiny on the war profiteers? I wonder if you matched them up head to head, who would come out on top? I imagine people don't really care, because every since the Great Depression ,the scapegoat for all our ills have been those that do not have lobbyist or the less fortunate. In 1929 to 1935 it was the poor farmers.

August 17, 2011 at 2:29 p.m.

• Getsmart

I don't consider welfare an entitlement.. Social Security and Medicare are entitlements because they are established rights enacted by legislation. Politically, Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are designated entitlements and welfare and other social programs come under the heading of discretionary spending. I like to call 'em the safety net.

I have to plead dumb because I don't keep up with Texas politics, so I was not aware of what Governor Rick Perry stood for. Under the Texas constitution,our governor is more of an ambassador (ribbon cutter) because our state is run by a lieutenant governor and lawmakers who meet every two years. He could not have signed those controversial laws without GOP lawmakers. He gets the credit and blame for the success and failures.

It's the same way on the national front. We will be in gridlock because nothing will be presented that can pass the house and senate. I did notice in last Thursday's GOP presidential primary Ron Paul was stumped when he was asked if he had a plan that would pass both houses. Divisiveness is our number one problem.

August 17, 2011 at 2:11 p.m.

• I guess people will have to read Governor Rick Perry's book " Fed Up" and decide for themselves.

August 17, 2011 at 9:59 a.m.

• Nice try. Rick Perry is an actor.

August 17, 2011 at 9:44 a.m.

• Beakus

Government has not lived within their means for decades but as long as debt to GDP is manageable, we will be alright. We all have lived beyond our means in a literal sense, if we have taken out a long-term mortgage, auto loan,student loan, or any other large purchases on credit. We made calculated decisions but we can't compare the home budget to the Federal government because of the unforeseen circumstances. We will respond if a tornado hits Kansas or to support our Allies or ourselves if we are threaten. That's not saying that the government is not bloated or hasn't made costly mistakes or we don't need to rein in spending.

I'm not saying that increasing taxes will save us, all I'm saying is that we take a balanced approach to get the debt on a downward trend sometime in the near future. We can't just pull all the money out of the economy without investing in education, infrastructure, research and innovation. That's why we have to take a slow approach and do this while interest rates, materials, are relatively cheap and the labor is available.

I guess the difference will always be between " individualism" and" it takes a village."

August 17, 2011 at 9:38 a.m.

• JimiDollar said "The only thing Rick Perry has in common with Ron Paul is the initials."

Really?

1. Both are from Texas running under republican ticket
    2. Both have written books where the word "Fed" was part of the title.
    3. Both think Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are unconstitutional
    4. Both have that 1970s gold standard mindset and want to get rid of the fed
    5. I don't know how many government agencies Rick Perry wants to get rid of ,but like Ron Paul the IRS and EPA is on the list.
    6. Both think state rights trump the Federal government. I heard that Rick Perry stated in his book that he thinks it's ridiculous for the people to elect their senators. Anti-17 Amendment pro 10th Amendment.
    7. Both are proponents of the 19th century Laissez-faire but I'm not sure if Mr, Perry is a disciple of Ayn Rand like Ron Paul is.
    8. Both are competing for the Tea Party vote
    9.Both said we should not have raised the debt ceiling
    10.Both are libertarian /conservatives.

As for personalities, Representative Paul comes across as a nice elderly gentleman who has been singing the same message since the 80s. He is consistent but he's totally opposite of Governor Rick Perry who's more cowboy. I could've said that both are anti-Washington and running to be the chief executive.

August 17, 2011 at 9:17 a.m.

• As a low income type citizen it would be easy for me to go along with a plan to raise taxes on the top 1 to 5 percent of the wealthiest. I would guess that will be one of the pathforwards from the super 12.

After reviewing the numbers for the revenue and expenditures within the annual budget of our country, it appears to me that the tax increases will help, but in no way can it save us. Not even in the ballpark.

Having said that, the real problems seem to me are that we are going to have to do some very unpopular things in cutting from the biggies, such as; defense, welfare, medicare/medicaid, unemployment benefits, and last but not least the huge amount of govenrment employees in the fifteen or so departments that employee hundreds of thousands of folks (downsizing). Finally, great benefits will come if we get this country back to work and off entitlements.

By the way, I know very little about politics but I have a lot of peace of mind that I provide for my family, church, and others by living within my means while not being a financial burden on others.

August 17, 2011 at 5:46 a.m.

• The only thing Rick Perry has in common with Ron Paul is the initials.

August 16, 2011 at 4:58 p.m.

• Newcowboyintown,as always, thanks for contributing.

Believe it or not, I've always said that president Jimmy Carter may have been a good man but he was a terrible president. I'm on record disagreeing with President Clinton and Obama. They are all human beings and human beings are not infallible.

I try really hard to put the title " president" in front of a president's name. I had my disagreements with President George W. Bush but not on the economy; 90% of it was on the decision to invade Iraq and not wanting to leave. A couple times, I remember calling him "W" or dubya.I have always questioned his intelligence and I still do but he's gone.

The normal bickering and playful swipes is to be excepted in the political arena but we don't have to try to poison the mind of our armed forces; they have enough on their plate. Especially from a credible presidential candidate... I admired John McCain for not taking that route, and I've yet to hear Mitt Romney questioned whether the current commander in chief should be respected.
    Don't worry about the typos, I've made more than you'll ever make in a lifetime..:-) ..I'm probably the typo king.

August 16, 2011 at 4:37 p.m.

• Mike - sorry - BLOG - not blob.....my mistake!

August 16, 2011 at 4:14 p.m.

• Well Mike - as always your blob is an interesting read - thanks. As for respect of President Obama - I have some real heart burn everytime I see his name misspelled or when he is called some name or another. I respect the office - He IS MY PRESIDENT. I didn't vote for him - but he did win and He is my President. Show some respect for the office. I didn't agree with everything Carter did, or Reagan did, or Bush or Clinton, or Bush - but they were all President - and Mr. Obama is President. If I had the chance to meet him I would. Is he perfect - heck no - but neither am I.

When we blatantly disrespect the man - we also disrespect the office and instantly lose credibility in what we say.
    God Bless America - God Bless our President.

Happy Trails!

August 16, 2011 at 4:12 p.m.

• gansobalanco

Father- in -law knows best..:-)

I found a lot about Rick Perry in the last 10 days. This guy is Michelle Bachmann, Ron Paul, and Rick Perry all rolled into one.... He came in with President Bush's Texas swagger, he went off on the fed and said practically everything the government does is unconstitutional, just like Paul, and it doesn't take much for him to go right -wing crazy like Michelle Bachmann.... He might meet his match in Mitt Romney because Mitt can change positions at a drop of the hat. Mitt Romney ought to run on the chameleon ticket.

I'm going to Sam's Wholesale and buy the large economy size boxes of popcorn because it's gonna be one of those wacky crazy campaign seasons, where it will be difficult to distinguish a gaffe from what they really think..... Michelle Bachmann has been regulated to the small stuff, like wishing Elvis Presley a happy birthday...One trouble with that, the king was born Jan.8,1935..... Today was the anniversary of his death 34 years ago.... Her campaign manager probably told her to mention Elvis's anniversary and it never registered. Google research is too much to ask of her.

August 16, 2011 at 3:18 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

August 16, 2011 at 1:42 p.m.

• Come on Mike! After John McCain's great success Perry HAD to play the "military service" card. Be on the lookout as the "I'm not a Mormon.....er....ummm...I'm a professed Baptist" card is working it's way to the top of the deck.

On a side note the Rick Perry vasectomy report had me spewing diet Mountain Dew across the den this morning.

I knew it was going to get good but had no idea it would get this great so soon.

August 16, 2011 at 12:29 p.m.

• Thank you vet43, that was the consensus of the members of the roundtable who were discussing this. Nicole Wallace,who served as a political consultant for John McCain, said that it was a dog whistle for the constituents governor Perry's is trying to appeal to.

When I served, I didn't give much thought to the president of the United States because I was more concerned with keeping a first lieutenant off my back. ...:O... I remember being put on top alert status for vice President Hubert Humphrey's visit to South Korea but all it really amounted to was extra housekeeping and riot control training..... My point, the military has a daily grind to go through, so respect or are not respecting the commander in chief is not at the top of their priorities because their respect its usually taken for granted.

I first heard this from a conservative coworker just after President George W. Bush got elected. He looked at a picture of president Bush shaking hands with some soldiers and said" now the troops have someone they can look up to and respect."

August 16, 2011 at 11:20 a.m.

• Mike,

I served 63-67 and served under JFK and LBJ. I can not speak for my fellow Veterans but when I swore to protect the United States Constitution that meant the President of the United States. I was not pleased with many of LBJ's orders I obeyed them.

Every serviceman/woman can vote thier approval of disapproval. But when the man says go you go. The worst thing that can happen to our nation is the Armed Forces become politicized.

Bars or Stars did not make them all smart but they were always right. Mr. Perry's comment is his opinion but I doubt he speaks for every one in uniform and it is an insult to brave Americans in harms way.

August 16, 2011 at 10:53 a.m.

• vet43

I'm glad you dropped by because I have a question to ask you.
    Since we both served in a military I would like to have your opinion on this. President Lyndon Johnson was my commander- in -chief, so I respected him as I would any superior officer. I don't think politics entered into it.

Gov.Perry caused a stir last night in Waterloo, Iowa, when he suggested that U.S. military troops do not respect President Obama: "One of the reasons that I’m running for president is I want to make sure that every young man and woman who puts on the uniform of the United States respects highly the president of the United States," he said.

Governor Perry said a lot of controversial things yesterday, and he's probably trying to find a way to walk back his statement(maybe) but don't you think that our armed forces respect the commander- in- chief; regardless of party? I know that no one can speak for every person serving in a military or their families but as a general statement.

August 16, 2011 at 9:46 a.m.

• chupakabra

The part about the 400 billionaires was a small part of the point Warren Buffett was trying to make. It was more about," don't be scared to tax me and my buddies" not as part of an equation.
    There goes that arbitrary number again(10%) for a National Sales Tax that would be added to the state sales tax because the states are not going to give up their revenue. The states have to balance their budget. You may not have noticed but the GOP will reject any kind a tax unless it has a cut after it. It won't get through the house of representatives where it normally takes 218 votes to pass anything. The GOP has 240 votes.

The CBO recently ran some numbers on a value added tax(VAT) which is a national sales tax but it's not as easy as you say because it would be another burden on the poor. They're not certain about the percentage but it would be somewhere between 10% and 25%, keeping in mind that we have to bring in the same amount and revenues plus some.Adjustments would have to be made for businesses and the like, so we'll likely to be right back with our progressive tax system.

August 16, 2011 at 9:36 a.m.

• Victoria Advocate headline shortly after the GOP National Convention.

This just in.........Rick Perry has picked his VP running mate.

Welcome Glenn Beck to the ticket!

Sarah Palin to be Secretary of State.

August 16, 2011 at 9:20 a.m.

• arlewill cont.

I think jobs and the economy should take center stage right, because we can work on lowering the trajectory of the debt when the economy starts to recover. We know that we are in a world economy so when Japan slips countries have to make adjustments. Europe takes 25% of our exports, and we know where they are. How much longer will they be on the Euro? We can't just focus on one part of the number 14 (14 million unemployed and $14.3 in debt), or we will be in worse shape than we are now. Governor Ed Rendell came up with a good idea this morning. We know the housing industry is a big part of our stagnancy Why not employed people to repair and renovate them and then rent them out. The rental payments could be paid back to the treasury.

August 16, 2011 at 9:16 a.m.

• arlewill

I'm convinced that we are polar opposites, but the 400 billionaires was just a small part of the narrative Warren Buffett was trying to present. The 400 billionaire was to emphasize the concentration of wealth at the top 1%. It was not meant to be a number that we could extrapolate from. It was meant to say that the top 99.7% will be OK if their taxes were raised.

Warren Buffett and a majority of people know that cuts will be needed in order to reduce the deficit and debt. Those people also know it's not fair that cuts will come from Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security and defense but the top 2% will not be as to contribute any more.It's not taking the 400 billionaires tax and putting it on the debt. It's about taking the amount that they pay to ease burden on Medicare recipients , perhaps saving grandma an extra $10.00 a month, or retaining child nutrition programs.

In December of 2010, the Bush tax cuts remained in exchange for extending unemployment benefits. During the 2011 budget battle and the one to raise the debt ceiling; revenues were off the table. Last Thursday, every republican candidate said they would not include revenues even if it was $10 in cuts for $1 in spending. All six representatives on the super committee have signed a Grover Norquist pledge not to raise taxes under any circumstances.

This position is not where America is, because several polls have found wide support for increasing taxes, as 67% said the more high earners income should be subject to being taxed for Social Security, and 66% support raising taxes on incomes over $250,000, and 62% support closing corporate tax loopholes.

It's a common theme that those on right would rather the poor people pay some taxes than tax the rich The middle class is already paying more of their benefits, tuition costs, and the right still doesn't want to tax the rich That's not where America is as the polls indicate because we are NOT on a level playing field.
    The 2001 and 2003 Bush taxes benefited the wealthy and gave cookie crumbs to the poor and middle class...here is my proof.

August 16, 2011 at 9:15 a.m.

• Mike
    I seem to recall in the last fifty years, the middle class has paid the bulk of income tax to the federal govt. The reason is obvious - there has never been enough millionaires and billionaires to cover the cost. If you took all the income of the top 400 mentioned in your blog or 91 billion dollars, it would have a small impact on the 3,500 billion dollars our govt spends annually.
    Before I retired, I did not mind paying taxes because the more tax I paid, the more money I made.
    I do believe the Bush tax cuts went a little too far and now over half of the people do not pay federal income tax. I don't make much money since I retired and there have been years when I did not pay any federal income tax.
    I think Obama's campaign promise not to raise taxes on couples earning less than $250,000 went too far as well.
    I believe we do need a balanced approach to solving the nations debt by first reducing unnecessary spending and then raising taxes back to the pre-Bush era. The spending cuts need to be real and not artificial or ten years from now. I would be disappointed to see taxes raised with no cuts or more spending.

August 16, 2011 at 1:28 a.m.

• The scary thing is that if the government fined the 400 richest billionaires a billion dollars, that would reduce the debt from 17 trillion to 16.6 trillion dollars. If the government was serious about reducing the debt, they would tax the underground economy and the 50 percent of Americans that pay zero income tax. They could do that by passing an across the board 10% federal sales tax. GOP lovechild, I don't understand when you say that the working poor are saddled with our debt. They don't pay any of it? Shared sacrifice? I think a national sales tax with a sunset would definitely be shared sacrifice. It would give more credence to the class warfare politics. Just think when those billionaires buy a 50 million dollar Gulf Stream Jet, that would be 5 million in sales taxes to the system. All of those Sheiks that have their planes made over here would pay a lot of sales taxes. Seriously, right now, most internet sales are sales tax exempt. They were given this opportunity a decade ago to get their companies off the ground. There is no doubt that billions of dollars in sales taxes are being left on the table. You can go on e-bay, amazon, etc, and buy whatever you want without having to pay sales taxes. A 10% across the board national sales tax with a sunset, I think is a good idea.

August 15, 2011 at 9:11 p.m.

• Keep talking Governor Rick Perry..He is now saying that Texas should secede from Social Security... He needs to ask Representative Ryan Paul, how that worked out for him.... President Bush tried to privatize Social Security but his own party wouldn't back him up.

“In an interview last year with Newsweek, Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) affirmed his view that Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid were all unconstitutional programs creating “a Ponzi scheme” that was bankrupting the government:

PERRY: I don’t think our founding fathers when they were putting the term “general welfare” in there were thinking about a federally operated program of pensions nor a federally operated program of health care. What they clearly said was that those were issues that the states need to address. Not the federal government. I stand very clear on that. From my perspective, the states could substantially better operate those programs if that’s what those states decided to do.”

Give that man a microphone and a television camera.If he keeps talking he'll take the fringe crown from Bachmann and might win Iowa but he’ll lose in New Hampshire, South Carolina and especially Florida where they love their Medicare and Social security.

August 15, 2011 at 3:33 p.m.

• Big oil and the like, pay talk radio a lot of money to make people think, that making the top 2% pay income tax at same rate they did in 1990 is " wealth redistribution" and " class warfare." They even want them to think that the corporation is really just another " Joe six-pack."

It's surprising that some Ron Paul supporters believe that because Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX), who placed second in the Ames Straw Poll over the weekend, took a far different view when speaking with ThinkProgress. Unlike Romney and his own son Rand, Ron Paul argued that corporations are “obviously” not people. “People are individuals,” Paul affirmed. “They’re not groups and they’re not companies.”
    KEYES: What did you make of Mitt Romney’s statement that “corporations are people” yesterday?
    PAUL: Obviously they’re not. People are individuals, they’re not groups and they’re not companies. Individuals have rights, they’re not collective. You can’t duck that. So individuals should be responsible for corporations, but they shouldn’t be a new creature, so to speak. Rights and obligations should be always back to the individual.

August 15, 2011 at 2:59 p.m.

• The funny thing here is the super rich in the GOP seem to have learned what the super rich of Mexico’s PRI political party mastered 100 years ago. With the likes of Dick Armey leading the way, they now have poor republican tea baggers prancing around wrapped up in flags protesting taxes for the super rich as the middle class disappears and the working poor is saddled with our debt. Absolutely no shared sacrifice in times of war and crashed economies. If this insanity continues, and there is nothing in sight to stop it, we’ll continue on our way to being another third world Mexico.

And just like Mexicans, these tea baggers are the most patriotic people on the face of the earth, wrapped up in flags while marching the yellow brick road to ruin.

August 15, 2011 at 2:30 p.m.