Comments

• vet43 and Writein

I'm all for a ticker tape parade but since we don't use ticker tapes anymore, perhaps we should reword it and call it a " shredder paper." ....:-)

They did have a memorial to place a wreath for the unknown soldier Monday, where President Obama and Iraq's Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki took part in the ceremonies. Yesterday, our colors were cased in Iraq, signifying the end of the war in Iraq.

Instead of politicizing the war by trying to blame the president for a lack of a ceremony, a part of the might be due to a mayor's decision as to whether it's feasible and economical.... I know they wouldn't hesitate a bit if their sports team won the World Series.

This is just my opinion but I don't think they want to fall into that same embarrassment of celebrating prematurely. I understand it we have about 1700 American private contractors that are working within 20 miles of Iran.... If Iran attacked these Americans, we wouldn't hesitate to go back in to save them.... The decision to withdraw was not made in a vacuum because we know that the situation in Iraq is still precarious but it was time to make our move.

December 15, 2011 at 10:48 a.m.

• BTW Newcowboyintown, last night's events explains how silly Congress is... John Boehner, Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell got together last night but that's what they should have done before taking a house vote that wasn't even brought up in the senate. The democrats dropped the surtax on a millionaires hoping to get the republicans to drop the pipeline portion in the bill... I believe the house is supposed to revote today. As you stated, both sides knew where the lines were drawn but they engaged in the usual games.

December 15, 2011 at 9:36 a.m.

• Newcowboyintown

I'm not sure I'm reading your post as you intended because if you say that the lines are drawn in the sand ;then how can they get together to acquire the 358 of the possible 535 votes needed to overturn a presidential veto? If I'm not mistaken, I believe senate majority leader Harry Reid works closely with the White House, so the president is very much into the negotiations.

Can we really say what the right thing is? This it just my opinion but I base my opinion on the demographics of our county. I believe if we polled the residents of our county,they would be against extending the payroll tax cut and unemployment benefits by a margin of 85%-15%because they don't want this government to spend one more dime. We could ask the same question of the residents of Peoria, Illinois and the numbers would be reversed.

I agree with your statement about President Lyndon Baines Johnson. I guess it depends on your definition of Washington insider because even though all the GOP candidates have been in politics at one time or another, I don't see them having enough clout to jam through legislation like LBJ did... Whenever you thought of LBJ, he was a political animal; and worked at it seven days a week and 18 -20 hours a day. He acquired the right connections from the start and wasn't afraid to step on toes along the way; ethical or not. People don't get away with that anymore because we have 24/7 media coverage who will exploit the smallest hint of impropriety.

December 15, 2011 at 9:22 a.m.

• As long as in general the American public wants their Presidential candidates coming from outside the inner circle of Washington - there won't be another LBJ. He had so many favors to call in - he could get things done from the inside.
    I look back at the situation now and feel the battle going on is really internal to the Senate and the House - more so than who is President. The Democrats and the Republicans have both drawn their line in the sand - unfortunately - the lines are not a common line - there is this huge gap between them.
    I always remember - if our representation in Washington wanted to make a real difference - they could - so what if President Obama vetoes - just override - to the right thing.

I know - I am way to idealistic for my own good.

December 15, 2011 at 7:08 a.m.

• itisi,

Maybe after they find Bush 43's "Mission Accomplished" banner they will hold the parade. Newt will be the Drum Major.

December 14, 2011 at 10:31 p.m.

• Hey Writein & Mike, why don't you guys ask the President, where is the ticker tape parade, after all he is the Commander and Chief. I think it would be great...

December 14, 2011 at 9:22 p.m.

• Writein

Did you really mean Dixiecrats ?

States' Rights Democratic Party (Dixiecrats)
    Founded 1948
    Dissolved 1948
    Preceded by Democratic Party
    Succeeded by Democratic Party
    Ideology States' rights
    Racial segregation
    White supremacism

December 14, 2011 at 9:18 p.m.

• All I'm saying is what I heard Ron Paul say in the debates,he wants the troops out of Iraq. I not for Ron Paul,I just heard him say he wants to restore your right to drink raw milk...Really?

We still will have 17,000 private contractors in Iraq serving the world's largest embassy.

I'm saying LBJ could let 20 Democrats in the senate vote with the GOP and still get legislation passed.

I'm not worried about President Obama ,75% of the Democratic voters are with him...On the other side I read the columns of conservative columnist George will and  Kathleen Parker writing how bad it would be for the GOP ,if frontrunner Newt Gingrich won the nomination....Even right wing extremist Michael Savage offered Newt $1 million to drop out of the race...Whoever the president is,they won't be able to overcome the separation of powers....I'll take brains over brawn anyway but that's just me.

The one in second place,Mitt Romney,is so desperate,he was thrilled to get the endorsement of Christine O'Donnell...:-)

December 14, 2011 at 9:05 p.m.

• Mike.

Expect for Ron Paul? According to Ron Paul’s ads, Dr. Paul isn’t being honest. ( BS Spotter, Yes I said it). You said we should be overjoyed, but where are the sticker tape parades in New York, Houston or Chicago? I do not see an overwhelming of people on the streets cheering and singing. The troops deserve that and we as a nation needs it.

In LBJ’s time, the Democratic Party was actually two political parties with the same name. The Southern Dixiecrats are the Tea Party GOP types. We need is a dominating President in this political climate. President Obama in my opinion is too nice and is too defensive.

December 14, 2011 at 8:28 p.m.

• Writein

Am I wrong for thinking we should be overjoyed that all the troops from Iraq are coming home?The last CBS poll stated that 77% of Americans  wanted the troops out of Iraq,so it bewilders me that John McCain,Lindsey Graham ,the old Bush team and all the GOP presidential candidates except for Ron Paul are criticizing the president for this.

December 14, 2011 at 8:18 p.m.

• Different times and circumstances...President Johnson didn't have the 112th Congress...Because of his long years in a senate which was dominated by Democrats for so many years,it was pretty easy for LBJ to call in favors....It's pretty easy to pass legislation when you have 65-75 seats in the senate and the filibuster wasn't used that much.

I don't think we'll ever see a dominating president again.

December 14, 2011 at 7:59 p.m.

• Where is President Lyndon Johnson when you need him?

December 14, 2011 at 7:46 p.m.

• Lol...That's a good question vet43.... I guess I should've said that they won't be able to legally borrow more money to keep the government open. It's amazing how they can just stamp “continuing resolution" and keep on going. I like Mark McKinnon's idea of tying congressional pay to a budget deal. The person is more likely to compromise if they’re personally affected.

Tophat…. There has a lot of truth to that because the polls said that 42% of Americans thinks this Congress is the worst ever.

December 14, 2011 at 3:21 p.m.

• The scary part of the Federal government shutting down is that looming fear that they will re-open.

December 14, 2011 at 2:59 p.m.

• When you say,"run out of money" does that include Congress? Do they have car fare home? I feel so bad for them. I will take up a collection for them. All the money will go to the Vet, er, person that needs it the most. I promise! Trust me! Please send your generous donations to Vet43, B.O. Box.......

December 14, 2011 at 2:56 p.m.

• Newcowboyintown

That's true but both parties want to pass the payroll tax cuts and unemployment compensation and if things works out, the pipeline will be passed. They're just playing games. I wouldn't be surprised if they agreed to extend spending without a bill ,so they can discuss it more next week.. Then they will argue until midnight of December 23 and only then will they pass the bill, because being home for Christmas always takes a priority....More of the same indeed.

December 14, 2011 at 1:08 p.m.

• Again - not what is good for the country or needed for the country. More of the same!

December 14, 2011 at 12:35 p.m.