Comments

• Hicktoria.

One thing that is obvious is your avatar.

February 7, 2011 at 3:51 p.m.

• I was just pointing out the obvious.

What and who's "game"? lol You make me wonder sometimes..."vengeful offense" lmao that was great!

February 7, 2011 at 3:38 p.m.

• Hicktoria.

Defending who? I decided to play your game and I shall do it with vengeful offensive.

February 7, 2011 at 3:08 p.m.

• Hictoria

Defend???? You must have ESP because Writein's post took me by surprise but he was making a statement and doubled down with a challenge....Writein has been a member of the forum for a little over 3 years..We have disagreed on several occasions but we have always agreed to disagree....And what is your interest in this?

February 7, 2011 at 3 p.m.

• Yep knew it was coming. Writein jumping in to defend...

February 7, 2011 at 2:20 p.m.

• Rollinstone.

Please..please do not make you laugh. You said you are "rarely the instigator". Should I use comment history on you?

February 7, 2011 at 2:12 p.m.

• Look at the bottom of this string of comments, that little box that says "Post Comments" - get it? That's right that's the spot for people to post their comments on everything associated with this blog.

So if I get your drift only comments that agree with the writer should be allowed - is that what you want? I doubt very few on this forum have any questions on my beliefs.

And final some are offended by sarcasm - I am rarely the instigator. I suggest you read back over these comments to satisfy yourself on this.

February 7, 2011 at 1:52 p.m.

• I'm proud that itisi and Holly have stopped using a form of mental welfare (commenting off the back of Mike's opinions) by creating their own posts. =P

February 7, 2011 at 1:46 p.m.

• Rollin, do you believe in anything or do you just have opinions in reaction to and opposite of Mike?

I have started to think that if all a person has is the negatives of the other view - then maybe what they "believe" has no merit on its own.

Go cowboy up and write your own blog.

February 7, 2011 at 1:32 p.m.

• Grow up and just go away...Adults don't behave in this manner,usually they can read between the lines and leave well enough alone..The readers of the forum don't need more immature behavior by either of us...You are wasting your time and mine.

February 7, 2011 at 1:12 p.m.

• If you didn't read it then why respond? Excuse me I'm about to use your novel and witty response - LOL !!!

February 7, 2011 at 1:07 p.m.

• I didn't say you said anything (not that I care) the context was in response to holly1 ...Most of the time I don't read your comments nor do I value your opinions....Follow holly1's lead write a blog and self indulge..lol

February 7, 2011 at 11:31 a.m.

• You keep making up stuff that I say or think. I said spending is our problem ......spending, get it? That means all the spending.

Secondly I do not blame the farmers in 1929 or the poor today. The spending is what makes us poor and DEPENDENT!!!

Your solution is income redistribution - make the rich poorer in order to make the poor richer - excuse me for this trite comeback, LOL!

February 7, 2011 at 11:22 a.m.

• I never said farmers caused depression...In context,I posted to holly1....."You continue to ignore wasteful defense spending because it's easier going after the lowest common denominator. This is not new, doing the Great Depression of 1929,the farmer and those that lived in the rural areas were the scapegoats."...Meaning ,in hard times such as today people normally look for blame,some pick out the poor much like in 1929 many blamed the farmers & those that lived in the rural ares....Too much wealth was accumulated by the top 2% back then...No consumers

February 7, 2011 at 10:58 a.m.

• Witty comeback :)

February 7, 2011 at 10:26 a.m.

• lol

February 7, 2011 at 10:12 a.m.

• Income taxes would have to increase 2.5 times to cover the current deficits - it's the spending. Anyway there is never the same corresponding increase in revenue associated with the increase in rates - why? Because people like John Kerry and Ted Kennedy (RIP) find loopholes like tax free municipal bonds. So money that could be used for private productive investment finds its way into non-productive use and the economy suffers.

And one more thing low farm income in 1929 did not cause the depression. Low farm prices was the result of over production - too many farmers and the mechanization of farming. FDR, that idiot, almost destroyed agriculture in this country trying to "solve" this problem.

February 7, 2011 at 10:06 a.m.

• BTW
    WASHINGTON -- Billionaire Warren Buffett rebutted claims that the Obama administration is unjustly hurting business orders with high taxes by saying that in fact, the wealthy have never had it so good.

"I think that people at the high end, people like myself, should be paying a lot more in taxes. We have it better than we've ever had it," he told ABC's Christiane Amanpour in a clip played on "This Week" on Sunday.

Bill Gates said he should be paying more taxes since the rich use most of the resources.

February 7, 2011 at 9:10 a.m.

• I've seen proposals for flat tax,Fair Tax, no tax but they never gather any steam because they aren't well thought out..... If if were that easy', we would be doing it..... Any sort of flat tax would have to generate as much income as our current system. The states will not give up their sales taxes so that will be on top of a flat tax. Imagine buying a vehicle and paying 27% in taxes with the two combined.

February 7, 2011 at 9:05 a.m.

• We have a progressive tax system where in the more you make the more you pay...." Penalized" would be a word a tax protester would use.... We all must pay our fair share.

The debt commission I mentioned would still have tax brackets but they would be lowered by eliminating tax loopholes... Is it fair for Halliburton to get government contracts, then set up a corporate headquarters in the Cayman Islands to avoid taxes?

February 7, 2011 at 8:57 a.m.

• I thought this was America! It is a damn shame someone would be penalized for making more than someone else. A flat tax would make sense to me. I bet that statement will draw fire.

February 7, 2011 at 8:51 a.m.

• holly1 said "Being 180 degrees apart is ok with me. I still think that a solution to the problem is reachable if both sides (left and right) would attempt to fix the problem without making it a political fight. Now that would be EXCEPTIONALISM at work."

holly1, your rhetoric doesn't match your posts. You continue to ignore wasteful defense spending because it's easier going after the lowest common denominator. This is not new, doing the Great Depression of 1929,the farmer and those that lived in the rural areas were the scapegoats.

You operate on just one side of the ledger. Both political parties agree that tax reform is a must, but until we have some sort of campaign finance reform; the lobbyists will continue to call the shots. The mortgage interest deduction is being taken advantage of by those that home $1,000,000 homes. The people in the 35% tax bracket weren't willing to cap all itemized deductions at 28%. There's a little known secret out there; corporations don't want tax reform. Although they have a corporate tax rate, loopholes allow corporations like Exxon and GE to $0 in taxes.... Lowering the corporate tax rate and eliminating the loopholes would force corporations to pay taxes..... Present Obama's commission on reducing the debt, supported reducing all tax rates and eliminating all tax deductions. This of course would have to be phased in.

February 7, 2011 at 8:34 a.m.

• Holly1

Thank you for the insight with your statement, "I did not have any interaction with any number of blacks, hispanics or any other ethnic group."

Maybe if you had some interaction you WOULDN"T BE OFFENSIVE !!!!!!!

February 7, 2011 at 1:06 a.m.

• @holly1

Agreed, but what would all of the CPA's and IRS people do then?

February 7, 2011 at 12:56 a.m.

• our tax system is in need of major reform. it's to complicated, full of loopholes, free give a ways and unclear language. A simple, fair and all inclusive (no one exempt from paying) tax code needs to be developed, approved by the supreme court as constitutional and put into place of our current night-mare tax code.

February 7, 2011 at 12:42 a.m.

• For what's it's worth, I do not like the earned income credit either. It breeds deceipt and fraud. It's an incentive for people to have more kids so they can get more back.

February 6, 2011 at 8:40 p.m.

• Mike

Again, my point was that even though they did not work at all they get the earned income credit. (those on welfare) I fail to see how they earned that credit what work did they do????? They get free money every month is that not enough??? I don't have a problem with helping people out that are in need. I just think for the money spent the results of the system leave a lot to be desired. It seems that the number of people on social welfare programs never goes down. very few ever get help that allows them to get good jobs, finish school, re-train for a new job or leads to any improvement in quality of life issues. You seem to think that I am blaming the poor for that. Not at all, they have been enslaved by a system that fails to do anything except give money to them. It doesn't help them get a head or address the decline in the neighborhoods and communities they live in. Instead it builds new parks, community centers, and other feel good look good projects that do nothing except spend money for no gain. A better use would be to invest that money into new schools, crime prevention and re-adaption of old industrial/commercial properties into new clean business and residential areas. These types of things would create local jobs from the very start and along with these jobs bring back an atmosphere where business could feel safe to re-invest in these renewed areas. The key to this would be better education and elimination of gang and drug activity in these areas.

I don't see how informing another of ones past to lend insight into ones beliefs is making the discussion that of my problems. Maybe if I knew more of the things that shaped your beliefs I could understand them better. IF i could have done so by direct means instead of your blog I would have.

February 6, 2011 at 8:35 p.m.

• Rebecca
    Well I'm not exactly like the four old geezers in the Visa commercial, who have never missed a Super Bowl game because I had to work on a couple of them.

Short answer, it's that's why they call it Super Sunday, of course I'm going to watch the Super Bowl..:-)

Packers 17 Steelers 14...Watch it be something like 55-45.

February 6, 2011 at 2:07 p.m.

• Mike, are you going to watch the Super Bowl? I can't remember if you are a football fan or not.

February 6, 2011 at 2:01 p.m.

• holly1

I really don't know why you want to make low wages, so you can qualify for EIC...Here are the qualifications....http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96466,00.html#QA1

You do have to have earned income but that credit is refundable, which means even if they didn't owe or had taxes withheld from their paychecks, they would receive a credit based on their income and exemptions....

I wasn't saying that people have a hardship because of excessive taxation... I don't complain about income taxes. You made the discussion about your own personal problems; I would rather discuss actual numbers coming from credible sources, instead of unverifiable personal stories.

"You yourself pointed out that if any one party did act without the others inclusion that party would suffer at the polls. "...That's not the context... There will be no inclusion because the Tea Party is pushing establishment GOP to the far right. It's still about unemployment but even though it dropped to 9.0% from 9.4% not enough jobs were added.

Go to library, get a World Almanac, so you can compare wasteful defense spending against welfare... You always seemed to ignore defense spending.

holly1 said
    "Read my post on " some call it nagging" for some further insight into my positions. I think you will agree with my post. I think you will find out I am not the right wing hard liner you think I am."

It's never about one post, it's multiple posts, where you left behind your ideology and your positions on just about everything under the sun. It's not about labels; it's about the contents of your post.... As I continue to say " we are 180° apart'' so let's just leave it that.

February 6, 2011 at 1:54 p.m.

• Mike

February 6, 2011 at 1:26 p.m.

• mike

by liberal spending I meant that of new york state not federal. NY has through high taxes lost many jobs. Businesses have relocated to avoid these taxes taking the jobs with them increasing the tax burden of all who remain. This resulted in a cycle of jobs leaving and higher taxes then more jobs leaving and so on.

February 6, 2011 at 1:16 p.m.

• mike

you have no idea of what my work history is but yet you call it mediocre. You say I was self praising, not at all, I was explaining my history to you to show why I had the beliefs I do. Yes people from all political views have had like experiences with hardship caused by excessive taxation. Yes I was able to write off 1/2 of social security payments on my 1040 returns. my point was it was an expense not felt by those working for someone else. My being self-employed prevented me from collecting unemployment and disqualified me from all assistance programs. My statement about getting a refund was to point out that while I worked i NEVER got the earned income credits or other rebates that those on welfare did and never paid any taxes into the system or earned any income. I was pointing out that I thought that an earned income credit should only go to those that actually earned income.

By ethnic group I was trying to be P.C. (politically correct) that's all.

I am not homo-phobic I don't believe that one's lifestyle has any bearing on anything but do disagree with the idea that programing for children show this as a normal healthy lifestyle. It has no business at all in kid's programming along with any other view point right or left in content.

You yourself pointed out that if any one party did act without the others inclusion that party would suffer at the polls. Your explanation of the last election's results. Might not this be the reason republicans did not do the things you listed. Or is it that they do not want to get rid of these but reform them back into the things they were meant to be when first started instead of what they have become. I would be all for a system that with education and training actually improved the lives of the people it helped. But I do not see this. all I see is a hand out with no helping hand up out of poverty, or improvement in the quality of life.

February 6, 2011 at 1:05 p.m.

• United States
    Main article: Progressivism in the United States
    In the United States there have been several periods where progressive political parties have developed. The first of these was around the turn of the 20th century.[6] This period notably included the emergence of the Progressive Party, founded in 1912 by President Theodore Roosevelt. This progressive party was the most successful third party in modern American history. The Progressive Party founded in 1924 and the Progressive Party founded in 1948 were less successful than the 1912 version. There are also two notable state progressive parties: the Wisconsin Progressive Party and the Vermont Progressive Party. The latter is still in operation and currently has several high ranking positions in state government.
    Some think-tanks such as the CEE Council have argued that early 20th century progressive US academics such as Reverend James Augustin Brown Scherer and Rabbi Judah Magnes were contrarian thinkers who foresaw the eventual decline of European colonialism in the Middle-East and Asia and the correlated rise of America- notably through the development of US institutions of higher learning abroad.[7]
    Today, most progressive politicians in the United States associate with the Democratic Party or the Green Party of the United States. In the US Congress there exists the Congressional Progressive Caucus, which is often in opposition to the more conservative Democrats, who form the Blue Dogs caucus. Some of the more notable progressive members of Congress have included Ted Kennedy, Russ Feingold, Dennis Kucinich, Barney Frank, Bernie Sanders, Al Franken, John Conyers, John Lewis, Nancy Pelosi, Maxine Waters, and Paul Wellstone.[citation needed]

En.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressivism

February 6, 2011 at 2:28 a.m.

• Progressivism is a political attitude favoring or advocating changes or reform through governmental action. Progressivism is often viewed in opposition to conservative or reactionary ideologies. The Progressive Movement began in cities with settlement workers and reformers who were interested in helping those facing harsh conditions at home and at work. The reformers spoke out about the need for laws regulating tenement housing and child labor. They also called for better working conditions for women.
    In the United States, the term progressivism emerged in the late 19th century into the 20th century in reference to a more general response to the vast changes brought by industrialization: an alternative to both the traditional conservative response to social and economic issues and to the various more radical streams of socialism and anarchism which opposed them. Political parties, such as the Progressive Party, organized at the start of the 20th century, and progressivism made great strides under American presidents Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and Lyndon Baines Johnson.[1]
    Despite being associated with left-wing politics in the United States and Canada, the term "progressive" has occasionally been used by groups not particularly left-wing. The Progressive Democrats in the Republic of Ireland took the name "progressivism" despite being considered centre-right or classical liberal. The European Progressive Democrats was a mainly heterogeneous political group in the European Union. For most of the period from 1942–2003, the largest conservative party in Canada was the Progressive Conservative Party.

En.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressivism

February 6, 2011 at 2:23 a.m.

• holly1
    I don't know why I bother but let me correct some of your myths.

You said “I grew up in a small town in upstate New York. I did not have any interaction with any number of blacks Hispanics or any other ethnic groups." You do know that there are about 100 ethnics groups inside the white race.

Yours is just another post of self praise for a mediocre work history. Liberals and conservatives alike have a similar story to tell. Yours is not unique. You seem to want a permanent scapegoat whom you can blame when things don't go well or as well that you expect it to be. You best, get acquainted with the 1040 because that 15% you paid for self employment (Social Security) you have an adjustment on line 27 for ½ of what you paid in SE. You do realize that a tax refund (unless it's refundable credits) is just a refund of what you overpaid. Perhaps if you educate itself; you wouldn’t have to do as much whining.

Liberal spending? I look at the Federal budget in its entirety, entitlements, defense and discretionary spending. There is waste in all three but your tunnel vision only allows you to see one. The republicans had the votes to repeal welfare, the Department of Education and other right- wing bogeyman projects but they didn't... As recently as early last year. Congressman Wiener of New York gave the GOP the opportunity to repeal Medicare with an amendment but not one single republican voted for it.

I'm 65 years old, I don't watch children's programming but I'm not homophobic, so I probably wouldn't see it your way. So movies aren't fit for those on the right... Who determines this? I didn't know the right were all puritans. ....I thought the entertainment business was part of the free market, so if G rated programming were in great demand; that's what they would be producing but until then you still have that on and off switch. I used it when my children were young..... I must be a heathen (I can live with that) in your eyes because I enjoy Jon Stewart, Bill Maher, and Chris Rock... I learn more from them about politics, current events, and different perspectives than I ever could with your multiple posts.

You should really start by looking up the accepted definition of liberal, instead of always using it in a pejorative way.—But you won’t and life goes on.

February 5, 2011 at 1:53 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

February 5, 2011 at 11:41 a.m.

• to be honest mike I have not watched either in weeks as my work dealing with foreclosures has keep me extremely busy and is partly why I picked that are as my solution as I have first hand knowledge how the govt system works. (very wasteful with money) I have been doing this for the last 2 years as a kind of a hobby that has grown back into a full time job with 3 additional contractors now and and expanded coverage area from Wharton to nearly corpus and from the coast up to highway 10 . That is why I have only shown up a few times here and there. maybe we can exchange views on governmental waste as I am dealing with it everyday.

February 4, 2011 at 7:20 p.m.

• mike

Have you ever watch kids programing on cable NICK DISNEY these 2 channels have programing for kids with openly "gay" actors and other things that could be disturbing to some people. I myself do not care about this issue either way Music tv channels play heavy metal and rap that glorifies the killing of others and the abuse of women. video games are full of violent acts. movies are unfit for a person right of center because of the liberal view point in every program except fox news and we are bombarded with ambulance chasing lawyer adds on tv so I think i can state this as fact. Thanks for letting me explain a little about me.

February 4, 2011 at 6:25 p.m.

• Mike

I grew up in small town in upstate NY population 5000 ALL WHITE. I did not have any interaction with any number of blacks, hispanics or any other ethnic group. I was in the 10th grade before we had a black student in our entire school Then it was only 1 family that had 2 kids . So yes I was insulated from the outside racial strife of that time. Plus in upstate NY in the areas where there were sizable populations they were already pretty well integrated into those areas. We lived in the heart of the underground railroad system that helped run away slaves during and before the civil war. So racism in that region of the state was not a common thing. I never really ran into that until went into the service (enlisted) I am over 45 in age with out giving to much info away. Self Employed Most of my life and through my labor have a house paid for all my vehicles are paid for I own land on the coast to get away if I so choose..

Being self employed I have never collected unemployment not because I never needed it but because I was never able to because I was self employed yet I always had to pay my self employment tax which helped fund unemployment (that was real fair to me) I had a business that employed 6 people until the state raised my unemployment taxes by 12,000 in 1 year forcing me out of business due to the excessive tax rates in that state. I then moved here bout 20 years ago and started over. I have been fairly fortunate to have been able to make 1 good living that was destroyed by a Liberal democratic run state government ( in power my whole time there) taxation policy.

After moving here I started my life over as a wanna be Texan. I have come to love this state, it;s independent attitude and it's for the most part very kind and caring population. I have done ok and will not be lacking but am by no means wealthy. For a life time of working and paying into social security At 67 full retirement age I will get a whole 495.00 a month and being self employed I paid the full 15% not just the 7.5% every one else paid and was matched by employer. So Mike you have to see my point of view all the liberal social programs were things I would have to pay for but would never be able to collect ( self employed) Then when tax time rolled around I again owed taxes (income) I think I have only got money back 6-8 times in all my life. So when you here me complain about entitlements from now on you might do so with a slightly different take on my beliefs. So when Obamacare passed I said great another tax and insurance payment that MAYBE FOR ONCE I WOULD ACTUALLY GET was forced upon me against my will. SO yes I dislike liberal spending with a deep passion that I feel is well deserved I have carried my weight so its high time those on welfare do the same. Hopefully you can understand my point of view on liberal social programs now and Hopefully Look at taxing the successful into ruin in a new light.

February 4, 2011 at 6:09 p.m.

• holly1

Unless you grew up in a monastery; I don't think you're being truthful.

I visited Philadelphia, New Jersey, and New York in the 60s and colorful language was second nature, as was generational racism.

Go to the library to pick up some history books; read about what the Irish, Italians, and other nationalities went through when they first came to this country.

February 4, 2011 at 10:51 a.m.

• holly1

When and I refer to republicans; it's usually about the Washington politicians. The Republican Party is no longer the party of Dwight Eisenhower. Today, I refer to the 112th Congress. You can paint a rosy scenario but I look at the votes where the GOP voted against extension of unemployment benefits, equal pay for equal work, but continue to vote to fund expensive and unnecessary military projects.

About a couple weeks ago I read an interesting article about what the author called " tax -eaters." A tax-eater is anyone who feeds off the government trough.... They can be defense contractors, the poor, corporations through loopholes, itemizers, or tax exempt religious organizations. It's only man natural that the lowest common denominator,the poor, would be used as a scapegoat for all of America's ills. They don't have a lobbyist.

February 4, 2011 at 10:42 a.m.

• Holly1

I have to be truthful,after reading your posts I feel that you ascribe to the Bill O'Reilly culture war; you are a classic culture warrior.... Our nation has evolved and we're now a multicultural country and Mayberry R.F.D. is no longer everyone's cup of tea. You might be surprised to learn that profanity became second nature when I was in a military(not exactly a leftist organization) and it took about a year to rid myself of it. We are the product of our environment.

You say it's not political but a few years back the Republican Party ran as a moral majority; family values party party, until some of their leaders got caught up scandals. Whenever you put yourself up on a pedestal; the fall can either be an enlightening experience or devastating.

You say the left is responsible for the program content, but you only point now the negative; you didn't mention PBS, NPR, or historical documentaries. You don't mention Walt Disney or any other children's programming. The wholesome programming is still available. You might have to buy it but it's still there.

Every night I see clips of Glenn Beck(I think he's going over the edge) telling his audience about the evils liberals are leading this nation into. The conspiracy changes are as fast as the media cycle. Now, the liberals are grouping with the Muslim brotherhood to overtake Egypt... He is saying all this while holding a bunny rabbit, chainsaw in Hand , and connecting the dots on his chart....My point is this. Right wing media has a large audience, I think some responsibility should come with that. You think television programming is leading us down the wrong path; I think it's ignorance.

February 4, 2011 at 10:21 a.m.

• Mike

Yes I admit I never heard the terrible things said by those in atlanta or mississippi or any other southern state as I grew up in a northern state that did not have that kind of stuff going on. But I do not recall saying that the foul language or amoral acts like killing cops had anything to do with the 60's as your example did. I was stating that these things were a result of a decline in our societies moral fiber and belief system. This has led to IMO a loss of others thinking america is exceptional and a dislike for our self-rightous attitude.

February 4, 2011 at 5:04 a.m.

• Mike

I think you would find (to your surprise i believe) that those you call right wing or having an agenda would have no problem with any program that gave assistance to the needy or "poor" if it had the out come of that person (with help) ending up with an education or new job skills that empowered them to get a job and by doing so removed them from needing that assistance anymore. The problem we have is that the programs do nothing to get the ones on them off of them and end up an unending burden of perpetual dependence on the govt. for their entire life while we have to work for what we have plus pay for theirs while they sit watching tv and never having to work a day in their lives.

February 4, 2011 at 4:25 a.m.

• As for the foreclosure post I thought That by putting people making a earnest attempt at raising themselves out of poverty into a home (with assistance ) That was within the price range they could afford when as scheduled they gradually took over payments until they were paying the entire amount and until having payed back to the govt the amount set as payment in full. This would give them a reachable goal and a new self pride when that goal was met. By helping others get a head it helps all by reducing the overall cost of entitlements and recovery of the money spent buying that bad debt. A win win outcome. I have never had a problem with a helping hand just with the free hand out. no one is entitled to that with out some effort on their part to earn that help.

February 4, 2011 at 4:04 a.m.

• Mike

I'm sorry if you felt that I was being holier than anyone. I was just pointing out the fact that not to long ago families could sit down and watch tv (in the days before cable) and spend quality time together watching shows that were made to be pure entertainment that all ages could watch with out having to worry about your kids seeing or hearing things that you would rather not have them see at younger ages. Now when you turn on the tv most all programing ( except on the free networks ) and even some of those all seem to have an agenda or cause to promote. Not TRYING to be political here but most tv is highly left leaning in it's ideology and programing content. I was purely stating what I thought was a decline in the family oriented programing that promoted the importance of traditional values ( the golden rule, Help your neighbor and service to country and community ) to point that out I gave a few examples of things and also of music.

That said I also know we can never turn the clock back to the 50's nor do I think that would be a good thing. but what would be wrong with the elderly and young of this country to be able to watch tv with out having a leftist agenda pushed on them or having to listen to foul language or watch nearly x rated scenes

I think it is clear that I am right of center in my beliefs. But by commenting that We need to look in a mirror and see if we like the reflection we see I think I was implying that we all need to look inwards and reflect on how we could all be better people and through our actions set a positive example for others to follow.

February 4, 2011 at 3:32 a.m.

• I would not be in favor of putting someone in a foreclosure unless it would benefit them. That was the point of my post. While home ownership would be a dream to some, foreclosures are not always move in ready. Even the best deals often come with big repair needs. However, poor people are not the only ones experiencing difficulties at this time. Many who have lost homes are temporarily out of work or having to change careers or live on one salary instead of two, or move in with family. Some of these people in transition would benefit from some creative solutions to the housing crisis. Even some flexibility in current foreclosure practices or mortgage terms might give people the opportunity to keep their homes, and this would help our economy as well as the homeowner.

I agree that the government should exit the housing industry. We have seen inflated prices over recent years and the bubble needs to burst.

February 3, 2011 at 5:38 p.m.

• jbj
    I took issue with holly1's attempt to change the subject to a topic he wanted.. He started the topic in my previous blog.

As for your foreclosure idea; I've posted mine several months ago. Some conservatives are not consistent with their rhetoric.

The government has tried to prop up the housing industry with little success because with unemployment @ 9.4%, they were only delaying the inevitable.... The government should exit completely; but the housing prices need to hit rock bottom, then let the free market do its will. The free market will determine the worth. I know the reason the Federal government tried to keep the housing industry on life support, but it's time to let go. State budgets will suffer until the free market finds a solution...Novel idea, why not look to Wall Street for help; after all they were bailed out and last year they posted record profits.

I will continue to point out; poor people are human beings not commodities that can be manipulated; persuaded or moved around to solve an economic problem.

February 3, 2011 at 8:42 a.m.

• OH I do remember what you may have had an issue with.

I mentioned that sometimes foreclosures are not in condition to be sold, they can be big renovation projects due to mistreatment by the original owner. I didn't mention this to demean anyone, only to explain that a foreclosure is sometime a bigger expense than it appears to be. That is another thing that would have to be looked at to determine if it would be something a person with limited funds would be able to take on.

If you thought it had to do with morals, it was not brought up for that reason.

February 2, 2011 at 6:36 p.m.

• Actually, Mike, someone had replied that house payment is not the only expense of owning a house, and I posted that the idea of people taking over foreclosures is still a good idea but some consideration could be given to the potential for one to pay as time went on. Then I think I said exceptionalism is working out things in our own country as well as others, and that since foreclosures are causing economic issues it would be good to get some creative ideas for solving it.

I didn't think it was off topic, and I think the way people work together to get problems solved is one way our country is exceptional. This was in response to your comment that maybe we could get some without jobs or on social assistance (forgot which you said) into homes and solve two problems at once.

February 2, 2011 at 6:27 p.m.

• You were following the topic Holly1 started by talking about the poor.

You want to apply the 6° of Kevin Bacon rule just to change the subject, to what you want to talk about. If that wasn't your intention then I apologize. But as I suspected the topic got out of hand real quick; it went to morals and that was not the context of the blog.

I just finished reading Holly1's post where he stated" Hictoria
    We are but 1 generation from the days of ozzie and harriet and the days when foul language was unheard of in public. "
    Really, and what street in Mayberry did he live on.... I remember a lot of foul language when Bull Conner was using the fire hoses in Alabama... It wasn't always rosy but I guess it depends on what side of the white picket fence you were on.

Good night..stay warm

February 2, 2011 at 6:05 p.m.

• Mike, the post started with you are entitled to your opinion, not mine and it had jbj before it. So it was to me. You took off my post when I mentioned the way ideas such as letting people who are without jobs or on welfare buy foreclosures could work.

Read the title of your blog. I thought you were asking a question, I was finding ways to answer it.

February 2, 2011 at 5:55 p.m.

• jbj
    I don't have the slightest idea of what you are talking about.
    You have to be more specific.
    Could it be possible that the post was not aimed at you?

February 2, 2011 at 5:38 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

February 2, 2011 at 5:36 p.m.

• Well Mike, only you can turn my agreement with something you said into my own agenda. My post just listed some ways your idea would work.

February 2, 2011 at 5:32 p.m.

• Wow,Holly1 that's a whole lot of " holier than thou" preaching you're doing .

I think morals and ethics are what you do when no one is looking... About the only thing that separates man is temptation.
    Then again, how did a speech about American exceptionalism in how it it is perceived turn into a sermon?

It must be nice to belong to the best of everything; ideology, religion, morals, and political party...NOT

I think more need to read the part "judge not."

February 2, 2011 at 5:15 p.m.

• Holly1

I think our major exports are electronics, airplanes, defense equipment, technology and steel but I agree we are a service industry.... I think Hollywood is being ripped off by foreign countries that bootleg their product.

You say our morals are in decline but many have been saying that since WWII when our country boys were exposed to European culture. I guess it all depends on the level of tolerance and self righteousness. I don't think that's what turned the Islamic culture against us because many of them indulging themself in those same vices they preach about. The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 by Lawrence Wright explains in detail that the extremist you talk about are brain washed a nothing will bring them back from the dead zone they're in .

February 2, 2011 at 5:07 p.m.

• jbj
    You are entitled to your opinion but not mine.... I've been writing blogs long enough to know when someone is using the blog instead of writing one on their own, to promote their agenda. I think it's rude.

What we do here is no different than what goes on at the local breakfast diners,where boisterous old retirees solve all the problems of the world... So they think...Nothing new ;everthing is recycled...I'm not that pollyannaish.

We don't brainstorm, everything is political.... We have nine Supreme Court judges, 4 are conservatives and 4 liberal and one moderate swing judge.... If you look at the polls; everything is divided between republican and democrat. Just about all our media has a bias.

February 2, 2011 at 5:03 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

February 2, 2011 at 4:52 p.m.

• Hictoria
    we are but 1 generation from the days of ozzie and harriet and the days when foul language was unheard of in public. When underwear was never seen on tv in commercials let alone prime time tv. Things like condoms and vibrators were almost a taboo and the thought of having sex before marriage was labeled sinful. I hate to say it but the people in power now ( those who lived the flower child lifestyle of the 60's) are the ones who turned their backs on the moral beliefs of their parents and came up with the idea that spanking children was a bad thing. This lack of parental control has resulted in a generation of kids today that has no respect for elders and a total lack of a work ethic. They also believe that they deserve to be handed every thing on a silver platter with out having to earn it. They think they are entitled to a nice car at 16 yrs old and a cell phone to text their bff during class instead of trying their best to get good grades. I could rant about the youth of today forever but we all know these things already yet do nothing about it. Because of this we have kids shooting kids, gang problems and a generation of kids to fat to run even a short distance and who will most likely die younger than their parents for the first time because of it.

February 2, 2011 at 4:10 p.m.

• I don't think it is off topic to discuss how exceptionalism in a nation can be applied to working on what issues are threatening the health of our country. It is the ability of us to work on the crises of nations around us as well as those crises in our own country that makes us exceptional.

Brain storming of ideas that make us stronger and work out the kinks in our economy are as important as working with the victims of a devastating event. That is what makes exceptionalism.

February 2, 2011 at 4:07 p.m.

• Hate to be the bearer of bad news holly1...but I think it is already too late.

February 2, 2011 at 3:33 p.m.

• Mike
    Our decline can be contributed to all the things you listed with the addition of the fact that we also no longer manufacture anything of real value here anymore and have become almost a completely consumer sided economy importing almost all durable products that as little as 40 years ago we led the world in manufacturing and exporting of these goods. Our main export now I hate to say is Hollywood with it's almost x rated products. You find it almost impossible to find a G rated movie any more with dialog that make a sailor blush with it's use of foul language. It is partly this kind of thing that has turned the majority of islamic countries against our , in their eyes, amoral culture. Even our kids programing right or wrong preaches that it's ok to be gay and promotes that lifestyle as normal. I do believe that we have lost our moral high ground with music that promotes the killing of cops and the abuse of woman now part of our culture. We as a people need to take a hard look at issues like these and look in the mirror and see if the reflection we see is one that we can be proud of or something we need to change before it becomes to late .

February 2, 2011 at 3:23 p.m.

• Holly1

Exceptional post, not because I agree with the contents, but it's a carefully thought out response. I do agree with the contents.

With the advent of the Internet, we can no longer be an exceptional country unless we put in the effort. An entrepreneur from Bangladesh can sell his goods worldwide without the hindrance of trade embargoes; excise taxes, or allegiance to the United States in return for foreign aid.

I also agree our decline may mimic the fall of the Roman Empire but for different reasons. I don't think it was because of a moral decline; I believe it was a period where the middle class could no longer take the full financial burden.... The concentration of wealth by the top 1% is squeezing the middle class. The middle class is the consumer, we need to regenerate our economy.
    It's sad to see American exceptionalism being on shaky ground because we're no longer first in science or math. It all starts with education but EDUCATION funding will be one of the first cuts, when the states start balancing their budget.

February 2, 2011 at 2:15 p.m.

• mike
    my view on American Exceptionalism is one of wanting our government to quit trying to buy allies with our money and instead quit flaunting our arrogant idea that every one wants to be just like us. The truth is that a lot of people in the world are of the opinion that instead of being exceptional we are spiraling into becoming a self-promoting, value-less (unless you count greed) amoral society that has only it's own self interest in mind.

In some ways I agree with this. In other ways I fear that we are rapidly headed in that direction and in my heart I hope that our acts of kindness world wide after tragic events (tidal waves, famine relief aide and others along with medical assistance provided to combat aids, and other horrific diseases) is the real america as the latter would be an example of exceptionalism where the first two would be if true a sad parallel to the decline and fall of the roman empire due to it's loss of morality and obsession with material wealth.

February 2, 2011 at 1:48 p.m.

• Holly1

A truthful response always helps because your first post was just a continuation of the nonsense you posted on my previous blog. It had nothing to do with the topic. You have a history of doing this.

A one day olive branch does not erase a couple years of posts. I feel you're playing the " sheep in wolf's clothing"..... I am not that pretentious, I don't have the answers for the problems of today. There are people more knowledgeable than I will ever be, that are working on the problems.

I'll break down the theme of the blog... It was political because it's a look at our country from conservative and liberal perspective about "America's exceptionalism."

In this case, some on right have taken exception, when president Obama keeps reminding us not to rest of our laurels.... As Kathleen Parker said "we will be hearing his word in the coming. months as republicans try to exceptionalize each other for the presidential nomination."

February 2, 2011 at 1:14 p.m.

• Mike

I had no intention of imposing my view on your blog. as stated AND I QUOTE " a nice break from left vs right politics" I simply was trying to practice what I had just posted and look at an issue from your prospective and engage you in a non political exchange of Ideas on how to solve some of the problems we are now facing I was trying to " offer an olive branch" to get an honest opinion from you on my thoughts on ways to combine your point of view with mine to address " in a civil manner" some of the major problems we have today. Who knows if some from the left and some from the right could actually put aside preconceived opinions for a brief time the results could be a very interesting exchange on what ever path, direction or subject that happen to come up.

February 2, 2011 at 12:32 p.m.

• jbj jbj

This comment was removed by the user.

February 2, 2011 at 12:05 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

February 2, 2011 at 11:45 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

February 2, 2011 at 11:35 a.m.

• Off topic

February 2, 2011 at 11:27 a.m.

• @holly1

Making payments on a home is just a fraction of what it costs to own a home. Where do you suppose those people would get the rest of the money?

February 2, 2011 at 11:27 a.m.

• Holly1

This is really the first day of this blog, so I don't appreciate you trying to impose your obsession with the poor onto this blog... It's entirely off the subject matter,

The Advocate has generously allowed the space for bloggers to take advantage of... Why don't you write your own blog instead of using mine for your nonsense?

February 2, 2011 at 11:14 a.m.

• I agree,jbj, when a major earthquake, flood,or hurricane hits a country in our hemisphere, there's one truce certain; the United States will be there, delivering medicine and food and helping other countries in their time of need. We never ask for anything in return; that's exceptional.

I agree, some people need to hear the toots of the horn; others let the deeds do the talking.

February 2, 2011 at 11:01 a.m.

• mike

a nice break from left vs right politics.

As jared pointed out there is always different ways to see the same thing. Maybe part of the problem is that both sides are unwilling to look at things from the other sides prospective and then by understanding that prospective work with each other to come up with the best end product possible.

as an olive branch whats your take on this idea.

Why not make the best of the foreclosure problem we have and use it as an tool to transform the welfare system as it is now into a workfare system by rewarding those who make an effort to better themselves with a way to become a homeowner.

To do this by placing them into a foreclosed home at a low payment (subsidized by their welfare check) until the needed education or training is completed. when they start work the welfare payments would be lowered as their income increased until they no longer received any public assistance and were paying for that house themselves. These homes could be sold at a price that benefited everyone.

The Govt (taxpayer) would save money by taking the money it would have spent on rent to house these people and paying back the money borrowed to buy the bad loans from the bank saving money by using the rent money to pay off the debt and also by removing people from the welfare roles. These people would as income permits also have to assume the payment made for the house and payback to the government a set price for the house. After doing so they would then own that house. This same thing could be done to help keep people from losing the home in the first place if possible.

This could be a way to solve 2 problems at once by getting people off welfare and getting back the money it borrowed to cover the bad loans by using the "rent" money to pay back that money.

February 2, 2011 at 10:56 a.m.

• We are exceptional. Other countries may be also, but that is not like giving all the children a blue ribbon for participation.

We send money to other countries for their support. Unless all the other countries do also, we are exceptional in that way. At least we should be to them.

In times of crisis, the USA sends money, citizens send money and items, and in some cases, the USA sends hospital ships to help. That makes us and any other nation who does this exceptional. In such cases, all the countries participating in such an effort are exceptional.

We have some of the smartest people in the world coming through our schools. Our educational system chooses to work with children so that they can meet the needs of everyone to some extent, equally, and sometimes with this effort, we don't get the performance out of the top ones. But we do educate so many that may not be educated in other countries. That makes us pretty exceptional.

People want to come here for a better life. What does that say?

Maybe other countries are exceptional also. But I would rather hear a band of horns tooting than none.

February 2, 2011 at 10:18 a.m.

• Holein1
    Interesting, a lot of people say that the president delivers a professorial or lawyerly speech which leaves a lot wiggle room but may not be heartfelt. I agree, sideshow antics are best left to the pundits.

This is a good example of sideshow antics... The situation in Egypt may affect in United States in more ways than one. We can only imagine what would happen if there's a bottleneck along the Suez Canal...Anyway, conservative talk show KTSA question of the morning was " What grade would you give the president for his handling of the Egyptian crisis? They proudly announced that 58% of their listeners gave the president an "F.".. The "F"was expected from the bias listeners because it was the lowest grade, but KTSA's time could be better spent informing their listeners about our involvement in Egypt. Their military leaders were at our pentagon when the violence broke out; the president using backdoor channels persuaded the dictator to step down. They should have informed their viewers of the balancing act we have to employ every time violence breaks out in countries that are our allies.

Off subject? Maybe but "American exceptionalism" starts with trust...IMO

February 2, 2011 at 8:49 a.m.

• Jared

I wish you would write a blog about "Victorian Exceptionalism" to balance all the negativity.

I don't know if it was your intention but your post opened my eyes, I can now see why some take exception when a leader doesn't take the opportunity to talk about "America's Exceptionalism" if for nothing else; to balance the negativity.

February 2, 2011 at 8:23 a.m.

• I think that Obama answered the question in a very lawyerly way. It seems that the way he answered is really what she has an issue with, but she is curving it in way that most pundits do. Instead of going after the real issue head on, they use it to create a seperate issue. Sideshow antics that bore me.

Nice take Mike.

February 1, 2011 at 9 p.m.

• I nearly wrote a blog post using "Victorian Exceptionalism" mainly showing what I really enjoy about our city. A different take using the same word.

February 1, 2011 at 7:55 p.m.

• I like Ms. Parker's statement "." It is inappropriate for one nation to set itself apart for self -admiration. They merely have to be great."

I have been saying for years" If you are as great as what you proclaim to be, others will take notice." ..I used to work with a bragger ,so one day I gave him a gift....I gave him a stick with a glove attached so he could pat himself on the back...:-)

February 1, 2011 at 4:12 p.m.

• Hicktoria.

Maybe you should look at at your buddy's (JBJ) wall posting calling Obama a racist.

February 1, 2011 at 4:09 p.m.

• There are several but a full evaluation must be obtained with a full presentation of the facts.

February 1, 2011 at 4:07 p.m.

• Mike.

Those who preach exceptionalism are usually the same one who ingore that an American treaty that states America isn't a Christian nation. The same ones that ingore the fact that "we" created these monsters around the world.

February 1, 2011 at 4:06 p.m.

• What would you call a person that accuses a person of being a racist if they do not believe in their views?

February 1, 2011 at 4 p.m.

• There's a different version out there..:-)

February 1, 2011 at 3:54 p.m.

• Exceptionalism = Might makes right !!!!!!

February 1, 2011 at 3:46 p.m.