Comments

• A lot of you 60 plus guys bring back good memories of my younger days in Victoria, which had a treasure with the local Rosebud pro team that played at the beautifully remodeled and expanded stadium by owner Tom O'Connor. If I stop and think, I can still see the young Frank Howard hit one over the wires that connected the light poles some 40 feet high behind the left and center field wall. Left handed first baseman Butch McCord, shortstop Charlie Smith, centerfielder Don Warwick, and the speed and strength of the burly Don Miles and more come to mind.

You would just have to have been there to experience something that seemed so exciting and special to a young boy in 50s. My parents normally had to threaten us kids to get us to come inside the house, because we had no phones, computers, electronic games, and the tv was black and white with maybe two channels you could see during the daylight hours.

ps Mike, is that your 70 acres mentioned in the Wall Street journal?

February 10, 2011 at 12:45 p.m.

• waywardwind

Although Pete Rose committed the ultimate sin of baseball(gambling); I think he has paid the price. What's a Hall of Fame if the all time leader in hits is not enshrined? I still don't know why a 9 time All-Star and 5 time gold glover like Ron Santo never made it into the Hall of Fame; talk about the ultimate snub.

It was all in the wrists for skinny ball players like Hank Aaron and Ernie Banks.

Hunter Pence is a throwback; he gives 100% and he doesn't showboat.

February 10, 2011 at 8:47 a.m.

• I never saw Hank Aaron hit but one home run in person. My dad took us to the Astrodome and Hank hit one out. The thing that I am most sure of is that homer was ALL AARON. He didn't have any help from chemistry.

Mike you're right about Clemons et al. If Pete Rose is to be forever denied his place in the Hall of Fame, THOSE bozos should never even be considered. Charlie Hustle may not have been the best player ever, but the line in front of him isn't very long.

When I was a kid, I was an AL fan because of the Yankees, Mantle, Maris and Berra. After they adopted the designated hitter rule, I left the AL for the NL. The DH is an abomination to the game of baseball

February 9, 2011 at 7:13 p.m.

• lol..Rebecca,I take it you won't be watching the World Series.

The National Anthem is at the start of the game,so you didn't enjoy the rest.

February 9, 2011 at 10:33 a.m.

• Hictoria

I tend to agree but being a baseball purist; I do not the like the designated hitter change...There was that Black Sox era but baseball redeemed itself for a while.

I think basketball might be the only sport doesn't have some sort of enhancement drugs.

They have been incidents of performance enhancement drugs scandals in football, baseball, hockey, and track .

I believe a lot of baseball fans have more respect for the achievements of Hank Aaron for all time home runs and Roger Maris for his achievement.... Roger Clemens, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, and Barry Bonds achievements should have asterisk next to their accomplishments...They may never make it to the HOF.

Some writers questioned Jeff Bagwell's innocence,so he was not nominated on his first year of eligibility to the Hall of Fame.

February 9, 2011 at 10:30 a.m.

• I'm sure that my littlest brother played t-ball, but I grew up in the country and we were pretty busy. I was very impressed with the National Anthem! One of the times I went our resident American Idol-police officer sang. ;) ;)

February 9, 2011 at 10:22 a.m.

• That's interesting Rebecca, so I take it you didn't have relatives or friends that played baseball.
    Did you enjoy the game?

February 9, 2011 at 10:14 a.m.

• Baseball like America is not the same as it used to be...SAD

I might be more inclined to watch baseball if it could keep itself out of the doping spotlight. If you ask me Roger Maris still holds the record for most home runs.....

February 9, 2011 at 10:08 a.m.

• I had never been to a baseball game until the Victoria Generals.

February 9, 2011 at 10:03 a.m.

• I remember the story about Roger Maris pursuing home run number 61. It was a good movie and I have yet to watch "Baseball" a PBS documentary ,I recorded months ago.

I think I will watch some Jaguar and General's baseball this year and now we're able to finally make it to a Corpus Christi Hooks game; in the middle of the week if we want.

February 9, 2011 at 9:35 a.m.