Comments

• JBJ.

I find it strange as a follower of Fox News, you would say that.

January 27, 2011 at 9:35 p.m.

• Waywardwind.

Internet forum isn’t school.

January 27, 2011 at 9:31 p.m.

• Writein...Would you like me to lie to you? The reason I said I had no clue as to what Sheila Jackson Lee had been doing/saying is exactly that. I have not given her one moment's thought since I moved away from Houston in 1993. I seldom thought of her when I lived there. I absolutely do not CARE what Lee says or does. I was sorta joking when I said you hurt my feelings by comparing me to her.

The reason I sometimes say to you that I don't know what YOU are talking about is that your somewhat innovative spelling, sentence structure and grammar leaves me wondering. You wrote a blog a week or so back that was so well done I asked if you had a ghost writer. You assured me that it was all your work. If you wrote everything as clearly as that one, I wouldn't be saying I don't have a clue what you're talking about. Clarity, spelling, complete sentences, punctuation...they all help others understand what you mean. You went to college, J. I can't believe you turned in papers like some of the comments you leave here.

January 25, 2011 at 9:40 p.m.

• Writein, you realize that all media tells the stories they want you to hear. Yes, I realize that some devastating and horrible things that happened in our history were not topics that were broadcasted in much of the media. Fox is not the only one who leaves out what it does not think needs to be told. MSNBC is guilty of that also. Most are to some extent, some more than others. And it has happened throughout our history. People are wise to look for the whole story and not believe only one source without question.

Having white people in his church does not make it ok for Rev. Wright to practice racism. I am sure he does good things too, but churches I have been to do not talk about hate of a group of people. Our church has had black and white ministers, and never has one of them talked about hating a race. So from my point of view, there is plenty to talk about without such senseless hate.

January 25, 2011 at 9:04 p.m.

• Mike

LOL

January 25, 2011 at 3:25 p.m.

• Hicktoria.

Maybe I should write a blog about it, but any person could click on “my blogs” and read some of them to understand. I am considering about signing off this forum and take my “blogs” off line in 2012.

January 25, 2011 at 3:23 p.m.

• Writein

Since I 'm the only liberal in Victoria send your complaint directly to me..:-)

January 25, 2011 at 3:21 p.m.

• Waywardwind.

Why is it that every reply from you is either, “ I have no clue”, I don’t know, or the classic “ I can’t make out what you are saying”.?

I hadn’t been complaining about liberals in the Democratic Party wanting gun control on this site because this area is mainly conservative. You above all people should know I am pro-second amendment.

January 25, 2011 at 3:15 p.m.

• JBJ.

There are white folks who attend there too. You only hear bits and parts from Fox News and not the whole story. Second, I do not like and stand Rev. Jerry Wright, but there is some truth in his statements. Which the media ignores for the past 70 years like Operation Ajax, the Latin American invasions to installed unselected dictatorships, and even the medical experiments on Southern Black Americans in the 1940’s. If anyone would address these true stories, you and others in the conservative circles would call him/her racist or playing the race card.

January 25, 2011 at 3:13 p.m.

• Mike, I will own up to calling the President racist, due to his participation and membership in a church that preaches about hating white rich people. Any church that preaches about hating a people due to race is racist, in my book. And so is anyone who continues to go there and continues to support it with their membership. But the other comment you have given me credit for was not mine.

I will comment, tho. I don't know that the two have much in common except that they both had one person who was responsible for killing and injuring innocent people for no reason. Both were horribly tragic. I have not heard the two compared much on any program I have watched.

January 24, 2011 at 7:41 p.m.

• Campaign finance reform, sigh, if only.

It goes to the heart of ever political debate doesn't it?

I needs to be done, but I have doubts that a politician of any persuasion would vote to cut off a major portion of their campaign funding.

January 24, 2011 at 6:26 p.m.

• waywardwind

No one ever said that the Arizona shooting was any different or more important. I was just wondering why it was brought up in the first place.

I said hate was subjective and you are the only authority of how you feel... I was making a statement of perception...........Mine.

I have a lot of discuss but I'm more discussed about two billion dollars a week to fund our unwinnable war in Afghanistan, even though 70% of Americans want us to start withdrawing.
    We're different,because office suites, junkets, earmarks and the fact politicians are always campaigning ,doesn't bother me. If the voters don't make a big stink about campaign finance reform, the abuses will continue...If the Tea Party can force their representatives to vote to repeal health care when it's mathematically impossible; they can force them to enact serious campaign finance reform.

January 24, 2011 at 6:14 p.m.

• Mike..."Some similarities but is it a question of importance?"

Importance? Mike, people died in both shootings. I'd say both were pretty important. I don't think the Arizona shooting incident was more important than the one at Ft. Hood because a member of congress was hurt and a federal judge was killed.

You're right about congress not exempting themselves from obamacare. I had read that in the beginning they would and I'm pretty much willing to believe anything bad about congress. It's not like they don't have a history of exempting themselves from legislation. As for as the royalty comment, look at how they act and how the leadership has office suites that rival anything in Windsor Palace. Do you think Bonier would be saying that he's gonna fly commercial if there hadn't been such a stink about Pelosi sticking it to the taxpayer for using the Air Force as her personal, on-demand transportation? It'll be interesting to see how long that lasts. The members of congress care only about being re-elected. They spend their time raising funds for their next campaign. They absolutely consider themselves rulers, not public servants. The only thing they serve is their own self-interest. However, you'd be wrong to describe my attitude as hate. Disgust is a more accurate term.

January 24, 2011 at 5:39 p.m.

• It may help me understand your posts sometimes...

January 24, 2011 at 3:01 p.m.

• waywardwind

Moral equivalence? Wayward Said "With the question of health care being such a controversy and the fact that the congress critters exempted themselves from obamacare, I've been wondering about the out of pocket costs Rep. Giffords of Arizona can expect in her treatment and rehibilitation after being shot. Fourteen people were wounded in the shooting spree that injured Giffords. Anyone want to guess who's going to get the best care? I wonder if her congressional insurance paid for the chartered jet to take her to Houston or if she and her husband just put it on a credit card. "...THOSE ARE YOUR WORDS.

It's never wrong to talk about the health care law but you personalized it because you thought representative Giffords had preferential treatment. You went on a rant about a monarchy and a Us vs. Them.... It wasn't about Health Care.
    Your post was directed at representative Giffords, her out of pocket cost and chartered jet... If you would keep up; you would know that chartered jet belong to a friend of theirs from Houston. I bet you don't know the care the 14 people received; you just assumed it was sub par.

As for the gun law legislation, I had questions, and I admitted I was wrong in this thread. Legion357 corrected me. I've heard Dick Cheney say that they should ban the large capacity ammo clip, and he was one of the four legislators who voted against the ban against " armor piercing bullets."

I'm well aware the circumstances of both shootings, but I don't see what wants to do with the other.... Some similarities but is it a question of importance?

January 24, 2011 at 12:54 p.m.

• Writein...I don't have a clue what Lee has been doing. I didn't pay any attention to her when I lived in Houston; I pay even less attention to her now. If there is a time and place for the discussion to take place, when and where would that be? I didn't check with Emily Post or Dear Abby about the etiquet for the timing of the question.

This is to you and Mike. It is no more inappropriate to discuss obamacare in the aftermath of the shooting of a congresswomen than it is to use that same shooting incident to call for more stringent gun control and ammunition capacity legislation. But you haven't been complaining about that.

Mike...You posted to jbj: "This is the second time someone from your political persuasion compared to the massacre at Fort Hood to the one in Tucson... I don't see the relevance... Is it some kind of Fox, Beck, or right wing blogosphere talking point? I hope it's not an attempt to compare the importance."

You don't see the relevance? Well, both were by crazy people using semi-automatic handguns and both killed and wounded several people, the main targets of whom were federal employees. It's unfortunate that there wasn't another similarity in that nobody shot the guy in Tucson.

January 24, 2011 at 12:27 p.m.

• Hicktoria

Why do you want to know?

January 24, 2011 at 11:40 a.m.

• Writein - Why do you always seem angry?

January 24, 2011 at 11:24 a.m.

• Waywardwind.

If the shoe fits, WEAR IT !!!!!!! You are doing the VERY SAME THING Rep Sheila Jackson Lee have have been doing for the past two weeks. IT IS SHAMEFUL to argue POLITICS over group of folks who were shot. There is A TIME and a PLACE to discuss this.

Poppa oscared my foot.

January 24, 2011 at 11:06 a.m.

• Legion357,asked " Do you think if a private company was running Medicare that this one of only many similar abuses, would be going on?

The honest answer is "I don't know.".... It is my opinion that incompetency, bureaucracy, and corruption is not limited to the public sector. I could pull up a lot of examples to prove that.

I think we've all been taught that the private sector can always do better than the public sector. I have never believed that because a human being is a human being. The private sector label does not elevate their competence. Both sectors have a lot of bureaucracy but as taxpayers we concentrate on public bureaucracy... In the next few years we're going to be wondering why the government allowed contaminants in our food but we're going to forget the massive budget cuts that will be enacted.

January 24, 2011 at 9:59 a.m.

• waywardwind

I can't speak for Writein but I think he's trying to call you an opportunist. Sheila Jackson lee tried to use a hero of the Giffords shooting to the effort to defend the health care law:

I don't remember anyone getting upset when vice president Cheney got preferential treatment. I think we all just were hoping he would get better instead of counting pennies immediately after the surgery.

Would you like to elaborate on Obamacare, as you know, it? You keep saying that Congress is exempt from Obamacare. What do you mean? A portion of Congressman's health care is subsidized by the Federal government, but they still have private insurers like we do. They get a better pool to select from but our selection is tied to our employers.... Congress had their plan for years, so did DuPont, Invista, and Formosa etc. It was based on not to changing anyone's plan.

I kind of know what you are talking about because when Ron Paul was asked "Do you think it’s hypocritical to take government subsidized and regulated health care as a member of Congress but repeal it for everyone else Ron? Paul said " could be."..What he didn't say was they are usually subsidized $700 a month...How many Americans get that?

I have a copy of the entire health care bill on my iPad and I would be happy to look up your interpretation. You say it was crammed down our throats; don't you mean it was crammed down the throats of people who didn't understand it or hated it did for partisan reasons? As David Gregory told GOP majority leader Eric Cantor " the GOP crammed down the health care repeal."

Everyone in United States is aware that we don't have princes, dukes, and earls but " rank has its privileges" and " too big to fail" has been part of America since its inception. There's been a period in our history when " all men weren't created equal, and they certainly didn't have unalienable rights, so that's a little over the top..IMO

January 24, 2011 at 9:43 a.m.

• jbj

People who live in glass houses should not cast stones. When you called president of United States a racist, were you in a typical right wing mindset? You would have more credibility as a critic if you weren't so selective.

As I stated, the word "hate 'is subjective, and I put a lot of thought into my response. I thought waywardwind's comments were inappropriate and since Rep. Giffords is still fighting for normalcy it certainly wasn't the time and place. I also took the posters pass comments into consideration.

You posted "Maybe somewhere in your gb’s do a static test on the recall aspect of memory, Nov. 5, 2009 Ft. Hood Texas, Nidal Hasen murdered 13 and wounds 29."..... This is the second time someone from your political persuasion compared to the massacre at Fort Hood to the one in Tucson... I don't see the relevance... Is it some kind of Fox, Beck, or right wing blogosphere talking point? I hope it's not an attempt to compare the importance.

January 24, 2011 at 8:56 a.m.

• Writein...for the first time you've REALLY poppa oscared me. Comparing me with Sheila Jackson Lee is low! Yeah, I said I had never heard of Giffords until she was shot. I didn't say she wasn't considered for anything. And, I don't think it is inappropriate to mention obamacare in connection to the shooting of the congresswoman. Congress exempted itself from obamacare and uses their own plan. If the plan congress passed and BO signed isn't good enough for the people who rammed it down the throats of the citizens, why should we like it? The question wasn't because of her being shot. The same questions would be appropriate if one of the old guys in congress had a heart attack. If congress isn't going to be under obamacare, they shouldn't have passed the bill. I suggest to you that congress critters are no more important than you are and should abide by the same laws as any other citizen. This is not a European monarchy with princes, dukes and earls. This is the United States of America where the principle is that "all men are created equal and endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights..."

January 24, 2011 at 8 a.m.

• Wow….. Mike someone writes a constructive opinion and you shoot from the hip with liberal accolades like the word “hate”, typical liberal mindset.

Maybe some where in your gb’s do a static test on the recall aspect of memory, Nov. 5, 2009 Ft. Hood Texas, Nidal Hasen murdered 13 and wounds 29.

January 24, 2011 at 6:59 a.m.

• Waywardwind.

I am sorry, but you should be ashamed of yourself for using the shooting in the Health Care Debate. You are no better than Sheila Jackson Lee.

Mrs. Giffords plane trip was possible because her hubby is from Nasa. You claimed you never heard of Mrs. Giffords. The congresswoman was on the Vice Presidential list in 2008. Mike is right about the US vs Them attuide.

January 23, 2011 at 3:44 p.m.

• They probably would, I know of a local chiropractor that really cashed out when the ex took my daughter to see him. He heard "she's on her dads insurance", and he promptly scheduled 3 appointments and X-rays a week, "to monitor her progress."

And we can't forget the $90 shoe insert, because one leg was 1/8 of a inch shorter than the other, what a ripoff, my insurance paid though, suckers.

January 22, 2011 at 6:03 p.m.

• Medicare... isn't government run health care great?

Don't get me wrong, Obama care would actually help me, but I question the ability of the government to run such a program. Do you think if a private company was running Medicare that this one of only many similar abuses, would be going on?

January 22, 2011 at 5:46 p.m.

• The pot came out to meet kettle..No surprise but with comment history ,i wouldn't be casting stones...You know they don't erase them.

January 22, 2011 at 12:40 p.m.

• "In private industry CEOs get preferential treatment as do first and second line supervisors. Preferential treatment is a way of life. Some let it consume them."

This is really funny, considering the source - a source who has been railing almost continuously against the wealthy, CEO's, successful business owners, job creators - you get the idea.

Tax these people, revile these peole, hate these people that's all we hear till now - "hypocritical" it's a word look it up.

January 22, 2011 at 12:36 p.m.

• Sometimes I just throw out red meat to the right wing, so they go away...unfortunately it doesn't always work.

I'm sure because of her status. She is given preferential treatment of sorts. I don't feel inferior just because she's getting that treatment. People who serve in the military are familiar with preferential treatment, enlisted personnel salute officers, have inferior quarters, and don't get paid as well. In private industry CEOs get preferential treatment as do first and second line supervisors. Preferential treatment is a way of life. Some let it consume them.

January 22, 2011 at 12:08 p.m.

• Mike....sigh...Once again, I don't hate Giffords; I'm not angry with her. I never heard of her till she was shot. By the way, I'm gratified to read that you agree that she's receiving preferential treatment.

January 22, 2011 at 11:54 a.m.

• jbj
    It didn't surprise me that you agree with wayward nor do I care.... Birds of a feather.

Like I said, I have better things to.

Have a good weekend

January 22, 2011 at 11:37 a.m.

• I also hope that those who were injured recover fully. I do not wish to point out that one person is going to or not going to get better coverage. But thewaywardwind has a point. If it had not been a Congresswoman and had been one of the elderly people who needed extensive care and rehab, and this person happened to be on the government plan, what would be the level of care? I think this is a fair question and one we should be asking.

If the health care bill is not good enough for Congress, then how can anyone argue that all Americans would be better off with it and Congress is exempt because their coverage is better?

If the health care bill offered free care to those who cannot afford it and everyone else could buy what they want, then that would be defendable. But this bill will put everyone on the same level... except of course, Congress, who does not want to lose their good coverage. Companies will be moving toward getting their employees on the government health care plan, and we will all be taken care of, except Congress, who know it is not a good plan and have made sure to exempt themselves and some of their supporters.

What is the purpose of reform if not to improve?

January 22, 2011 at 11:34 a.m.

• waywardwind

You can choose to read the stories that you want to confirm your US v THEM attitude, but I don't see any great injustice just because readers want to know the condition of a United States congresswoman. Your anger should be with the readers, newspapers or other media outlets not with representative Gifford, who is unaware of the preferential treatment she is receiving. She is just trying to walk on her own and live for the date when they take that tube out, so she can talk.

I don't have your personal vendetta against government or its representatives. My civil liberties or rights are not being violated, and I don't suffer from paranoia or an inferiority complex. I live a happy go lucky retired lifestyle. Corrupt Government, big oil & coal, Wall Street, Street, and financial crisis have always been part of my life, but I've never expected things to always run smoothly.

I'm forever grateful that we will always be 180° apart and vice versa,I'm sure... I don't want to beleaguered the point because like as said, I'm sorry I even responded ,because it might leave the impression that I really care what you think. Vitriolic posts don't impress me.

Hate is subjective but:
    "Whether that was abusive or not, that is in the eye of the beholder." — Randall Vogt

January 22, 2011 at 11:31 a.m.

• Mike, I don't "hate" (your word) Rep. Giffords. Heck, until the day she was shot, I never heard of her. I, too, hope all the victims make full recoveries -- not her first then the others. I will admit to you that I don't think her being shot was any more tragic than the shooting of any of the others. That's not an attitude of hate. I just happen to think government officials are no more special than the citizens who vote for them.

I think it's a legitimate question. Her position as a member of congress gives her access to a medical care system that is not available to the rest of us, yet she has a vote in that very fact a the rest of us do not. I think it is a legitimate question of what would happen to someone else who had been shot in the head and suffered a serious brain injury. Would that person receive the same level of care as a member of congress? If not, why not? Perhaps members of congress are somehow special? I was contrasting the concern about a member of congress and ordinary citizens, who, by the way, pay the taxes that support the government and its' officials.

I've read stories in the newspapers and on internet every day of her progress and her care. Those stories are only written because she is a member of congress. I've not seen any mention of the condition of any of the others who were injured. It's as if they don't matter, don't exist or weren't hurt. Of course, they're just ordinary citizens -- not important congress people.

I saw a story about a congress critter who wants to double the penalties for shooting certain members of the federal government and judiciary in relation to the penalties for shooting us regular citizens. Why? Government officials work for US. We are supposed to be the bosses. You'd never know it from the attitudes exhibited by them. You know that health care wasn't the only law that congress has passed that exempts themselves from having to obey. They are supposed to be public servants. When was the last time you noticed that they served anybody or anything except their own interests, generally centered on raising funds and getting themselves re-elected?

No, Mike, it's not hatred that I feel and I wasn't looking to score a cheap political point. What I feel is a great sadness that our nation has devolved to the point that the so-called rulers, the federal officials in all three branches of government -- are now somehow deemed more important than the citizens who make up the country. I don't expect you to understand that attitude because, after all, I'm something else.

January 22, 2011 at 10:59 a.m.

• waywardwind

Does your HATE run that high, that you have to try and score cheap political points using a human being ,who will be struggling through rehab just to live a normal life? Something's are better left unsaid. I should've considered the source and not dignified your statement with a response.

I pray that congresswoman Gifford makes a full recovery, as well as the other victims, democrats, republicans, insured or uninsured.

You are something else.

January 22, 2011 at 9:56 a.m.

• With the question of health care being such a controversy and the fact that the congress critters exempted themselves from obamacare, I've been wondering about the out of pocket costs Rep. Giffords of Arizona can expect in her treatment and rehibilitation after being shot. Fourteen people were wounded in the shooting spree that injured Giffords. Anyone want to guess who's going to get the best care? I wonder if her congressional insurance paid for the chartered jet to take her to Houston or if she and her husband just put it on a credit card.

January 22, 2011 at 9:44 a.m.

• KO got KO'd brings tears to my eyes, he will be missed :)

January 21, 2011 at 10:15 p.m.

• Keith Olbermann completed his last show on MSNBC tonight.

January 21, 2011 at 9:47 p.m.

• jbj

As you well know, one representative or senator cannot dictate the agenda, so you can give all the marching orders you want or trade them out every couple of years,doesn't matter. In the house, the person's that controls the agenda is speaker Boehner, in the senate it's Harry Reid.... The house repealed health care, and it went to die in the senate. You also know that they are 50 states in the union where representatives have different priorities..... I think John Boehner thinks he satisfied the Tea Party and the base with the symbolic vote to repeal health care. I think the next direction the GOP makes will depend on the subject president Obama talks about next Tuesday. They can't allow the president to put them behind the eight ball.

This country cannot sustain 9.4% unemployment(19% across the board) so it was very important for the president to take advantage of the recent China visit to strengthen our trade imbalance. The job priority is probably the only common consensus the two parties have.

January 21, 2011 at 5:42 p.m.

• Mike, who are most people? As one who called and gave marching orders to my rep. we told them to get us some health care that will work for us and not break our state. This is a priority or he loses my vote. He is thinking about jobs, his.

January 21, 2011 at 5:19 p.m.

• "The non payers affect how much the payers will eventually pay." This is very true. The question you seem to be desperately avoiding is WHY? The answer is as simple as Hicktoria's very good solution to the problem. Years ago, the bleeding heart liberals managed to get a statute enacted that requires hospitals to provide care to anyone who shows up at their door, regardless of ability to pay. In other words, once again the left wing has created a supposedly free benefit for which we all end up paying dearly.

So now their solution to the problem they created is to mandate that everyone have health insurance, one result of which is an explosion in the Medicaid rolls that will inevitably bankrupt every State. How many millions in this country who are uninsured but could afford health insurance are uninsured because they know that, if worst comes to worst, they are guaranteed care at the nearest hospital? Once again, if there is one law that will always be beyond the comprehension of the intellectually-challenged liberals it is the Law of Unintended Consequences.

January 21, 2011 at 3:35 p.m.

• Well if we could get all of those 308 to put up their share, that might make a difference ya think? (Holding club in hand)!

January 21, 2011 at 2:32 p.m.

• It might be for you but we have about 308 million people to think about...The non payers affect how much the payers will eventually pay.....If it were that simple a caveman could do it.

January 21, 2011 at 2:13 p.m.

• You know Mike, not that long at all... Problem solved right?

January 21, 2011 at 2:06 p.m.

• lol..How much time did you devote to your solution?

January 21, 2011 at 2:04 p.m.

• Here is a solution for health care. If you want it, how about paying for it. How hard is that?

January 21, 2011 at 2 p.m.

• jbj

President Obama is taking steps for his 2012 presidential run, and it's not whether he works with Congress but more to do with how Congress works with him, according to this particular poll. It's the other way around. They already saw him compromising during the lame duck session. The state of the union is usually about a laundry list of promises that are never kept but this one has to be different because of our economic situation. Will the president call for more alternative energy incentives, a return to 2006 spending expenditures and possibly take to radical step and call for income tax reform? The numbers are not that important because these days can't expect the president to get over 55% approval.

I don't disagree with what you say on health care but most people want Congress to move on to jobs. They should be their priority. I have to disagree slightly; the numbers on health care since last August have made a big jump because people do not want to give back provisions such as: pre- existing conditions, the $250 doughnut fix, being able to keep your 26 year old children on your policy and a few others.

The administration is pleased with the 11 point swing of the independents. That's where the election will be won and lost. Both parties will have their base.

January 21, 2011 at 12:51 p.m.

• Obama's approval numbers are up in my book, too. I liked his speech, I think he is starting to listen to the American people, and I like that he is changing some of his administration. I think he is changing to a man who will work better with Congress. I will continue to watch him and my feelings could go up or down. That does not mean I would vote for him.

I think this is what you are seeing.

Depending on how you phrase the health care question is probably making a difference in how the polls are looking. Does everyone want health care? Almost all. Do most people want some changes to the one we have? Most do. Do some people feel that earmarks and waste and incorrect info plague this law? Absolutely. Most people know what they want, and some feel that this law can be worked with, many do not. I really don't think the numbers have changed that much.

January 21, 2011 at 12:32 p.m.

• Even the right leaning Rasmussen poll has President Obama @ 49% approval

January 20, 2011 at 4:24 p.m.

• The good news for you and myself, that President Obama's poll numbers are up......even on Fox's polling.

January 20, 2011 at 4:13 p.m.