Comments

• Town and Country was out of our roaming range in those days, unless mom drove us.

The Wackers we went to was next to Dicks Lone Tree.

July 16, 2011 at 1:46 p.m.

• Thanks Sugar Magnolia

I remember the Star Wars era because my nephew collected the figurines, star ships, magazines etc. It was easy to shop for his special occasions.

We've gone through a lot of characters such as the Flintstones, Ninja Turtles, Batman, Barbie, Superman, GI Joe, The Lone Ranger, Davy Crockett and others. But it was wholesome and fun.

July 16, 2011 at 11:17 a.m.

• Sugar, I had a Princess Leia Barbie doll, but her feet were too big for Barbie's pumps, which irritated me. I remember when I wanted my mom to fix my hair like Leia's for school.

I liked KISS when I was old enough to not have to sit through church meetings where preachers were playing their records backwards.

=D

July 16, 2011 at 11:15 a.m.

• Mike, what a great blog!

I never collected baseball cards, but I know that so many did. It was, I suspect for most, a true passion. Those were such simpler times and I'm sure dad also did much the same thing. In fact, I think dad may also have some baseball cards lying around.

Rebecca, my heart LEAPT when you mentioned the "Star Wars" cards. I, too, collected those! I would take them to school to show everybody, and I don't think a lot of people cared too much. But I sure did!!! I was a Star Wars FREAK when the movie came out, and I had one of the original posters that I dearly wish I still had today.

Also, I collected KISS trading cards. KISS was a passion for me for a long time. Between KISS and Star Wars, I probably had several hundred cards. I sure wish I knew what happened to them. I can't for the life of me track them down. In between the moving and the growing-up, I guess they just got lost in the shuffle. I sure wish they hadn't!

And, yeah, the GUM. That stuff was nasty, with that yucky white powder on it and HARD AS A ROCK!

But, OH! Those cards!

Thanks for the great memories, Mike and Rebecca! :)

July 16, 2011 at 10:58 a.m.

• Legion
    I envy your memory. I vaguely remember Wackers,was it in the old Town and Country Mall?

Rebecca
    I don't remember the Star Wars cards but I do remember all the other related memorabilia. It was huge.

Alton
    You're right the video games have replaced the baseball cards and outdoor activities I might add.

waywardwind
    I suspect my mother threw my collection away, but she had plausible deniability because she had to have an accomplice to get up in the attic...:-) Hey,she's mom.

I started losing interest when bobble heads became the things you needed to have. Bobble heads really? First of all, they don't bear any resemblance to the player and what's the significance of an over proportioned head bobbing up and down?

July 16, 2011 at 10:42 a.m.

• Amazing! I also had two shoe boxes for baseball cards AL and NL. Who'dathunk that those things would be worth a lot of money? I had the '61 Yankees complete (as far as I know) -- the year Maris hit 61 homers. I put them away in a closet at my parent's house along with a lot of Superman and other comic books when I moved to Houston and had a small apartment. By the time I realized they were worth money, I asked my mother about them and she said they were a fire hazzard and she tossed them out in the trash. Oh, well.............

July 15, 2011 at 10:18 p.m.

• Baseball Card Shows have been replaced trading of video games and collecting old game machines.
    About 12 years there was monthly Electronic Trade Shows at the State Fair Grounds that brought in hugh crowds. People traded, purchased and sold computer components, computer software, and video games--even this type of trade show has died.

July 15, 2011 at 8:28 p.m.

• I didn't collect baseball cards, but I did like those packs of Star Wars cards that had the flat piece of gum inside. I could put the cards together to make a bigger image. ::sigh::

July 15, 2011 at 8:10 p.m.

• Oh yeah, when my and my friends ran out of cards, we would go to the Wackers 5 and dime and buy a 10 cent bag of 50 balloons to tie on our spokes, make the bike sound like we were riding a motorcycle. lol

July 15, 2011 at 7:05 p.m.

• I think all of my baseball cards from the late 60's early 70's ended up on my bicycle spokes. :(

July 15, 2011 at 7 p.m.