Comments

• That is a classic

July 22, 2011 at 11:24 a.m.

• Mike-

One of my recent favorites from Senator Jon Kyl (R) of Arizona:

“If you want an abortion, you go to Planned Parenthood and that’s well over 90 percent of what Planned Parenthood does.”

Actually, it’s about 3 percent of what Planned Parenthood does. The organization provides a wide variety of health services: Screening for breast and cervical cancer, contraception services, and help at treating social diseases.

A Kyl aide tried a novel explanation, saying: “His remark was not intended to be a factual statement.”

It's not a lie if you never intended to tell the truth.

July 22, 2011 at 11:18 a.m.

• Alton
    My blog was about the debt ceiling tactics, and it had nothing to do with The Affordable Care Act... What's interesting is how you came to your conclusion.

born2Bme

You might be right and we will never know until it is written in a memoir, several years down the road. I have a slightly different take:
    I think the administration knew the tea party republicans would not budge from their demands, so he dangled the sacred cow that the republicans have been trying to get rid of for years, but they still wouldn't budge on taxes. This made the republicans look unreasonable by not agreeing to a 3 to 1 ratio for spending over taxes.

arlewill

You're right, when the politician's spokesman says "the senator misspoke “we’re supposed to take that as an apology and move on. Don't you wish that we could be like the UK's parliament for a week or two? President Obama would go to into the well and hash it out verbally with his detractors. We could televise it for all to see. I don't even like UK's Prime Minister David Cameron that much, but I thought he did a wonderful job standing up for himself the other day at the Murdoch investigation.

If only these politicians would go to a dinner, golf outing, or just get together to get know each other, they probably would find things they can agree on and take it from there.

July 22, 2011 at 9:52 a.m.

• gansoblanco

I don't disagree with your viewpoint, and I'll take it a step further.

Frank Luntz (conservative pollster and consultant) told the republicans that they were losing the message war by always standing up for the rich. He pointed to polls that said that ~ 70% of Americans agreed with taxing the top 2% as part of an overall package. It's well known that the top 2% are made up of hedge fund managers, heirs, entertainers as well as corporate heads, so he advised them to use the word " job creators" when an opponent talks about taxing the rich.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing, yesterday, when CNN reported that Grover Norquist gave the republicans permission to allow the Bush tax cuts to expire. He said it wouldn't technically be a tax increase if they didn't actually cast a vote.... About 45 minutes later, he had to take it back before his minions got the word.... How can an unelected anti-tax advocate have so much power?

July 22, 2011 at 9:21 a.m.

• Mike
    You and I have been around awhile and we have seen a lot of new words and expressions created in our time. The term "mispoke" has arisen recently and is a polite way of saying someone said something that was not true. If the person's statement is borderline or difficult to prove, the statement stands. It is only when facts clearly do not support the statement that the word "mispoke" is used.
    A politician that gets caught mispeaking too often will lose credibility with listeners and their support.

July 22, 2011 at 7:31 a.m.

• Mike,
    I don't think President Obama intended to cut Medicare and SS either, at least not in a drastic way. He did exactly what I always do with people when I'm trying to get my way...."do the exact opposite of what you know they expect your to do". It shakes them up a bit takes them off of the offensive.

July 21, 2011 at 10:56 p.m.

• In your statement " I don't believe president Obama ever intended to cut Medicare or Social Security, but I'm OK with him using it for bait." I hear you saying that when he signed "The Affordable Care Act" that President Obama did not intend to reduce half trillion dollars in Medicare payments. Most interesting.

July 21, 2011 at 8:51 p.m.

• A decade after the Bush tax cuts the jobs the rich have created have left the country with 9% + unemployment . Mike might call it a "Smokescreen" but I call it, "Ignore your lying eyes and listen to the talking points on the radio.".

July 21, 2011 at 7:09 p.m.

• That's a truth that we have been accustomed to. After a presidential debate, the press calls the gathering place that candidates meet to give interviews, the spin room...:-)

Unfortunately we have become accustomed to this... Early in the year, a senator made a wild exaggeration on the senate floor, but when his staff was asked for an explanation,they said " it wasn't supposed to be taken as a factual statement."

July 21, 2011 at 4:56 p.m.

• Seems my dad always said he could tell when a politician was lying - just watch their lips - if they are moving - they are lying.

July 21, 2011 at 4:43 p.m.

• Observer

If it wasn't for name calling or red baiting, you wouldn't have a thing to say.

Generally speaking everyone wants a balanced budge as I said, but the republicans are more interested in satisfy their pledge to Grover Norquist.

There, are you satisfied? You got it all your right wing talking points, name calling, and revisionist history in.

Have a good day.

July 21, 2011 at 3:06 p.m.

• "The Republicans aren't interested in the balanced budget amendment". Since this was stated as a fact, not an opinion, please enlighten us as to how you know this to be a fact. And try practicing what you preach.

The chaos in California is only attributable to Proposition 13 to the extent that a Legislature composed of wacko left-wing liberal Democrats and RINO's continued to vote for appropriations that exceeded available revenues after the enactment of the Proposition. That, by the way, is also how we got to a $14 Trillion National Debt.

The Gang of Six proposal increases taxes by $2 Trillion while promising vaguely specified and unspecified cuts in expenditures at some unspecified future date. The Democrats were successful in pulling this scam on Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush; taxes went up and the cuts never happened. It appears the Republicans in the House have learned from those experiences. The taxes are the truth; the future cuts are lies.

So the rich are not "job creators"? Please explain to us how many jobs the poor have created. While the poor may not create jobs, the government is doing a great job of destroying them. It appears that the great and revered ObaMao has not missed one mistake made by FDR in prolonging the Great Depression.

July 21, 2011 at 2:57 p.m.

• Thanks will, I forgot about the preambles and if,and, and buts.

1. I hope I'm wrong but
    2. I'm not a......but
    3. We all want to pass the debt ceiling but

July 21, 2011 at 1:42 p.m.

• The preamble of "fact of the matter is" usually ends with lies.

Also, people like Michelle Bachman keep repeating the same talking points instead of answering the questions. Ashame since I was hoping for a viable third party, butt theyare all wacko.

July 21, 2011 at 1:25 p.m.