Comments

• I'm confused... Last night the president called for a balanced approach, but he is supporting the Reid bill which is anything but balanced.

I did learn some interesting things last night after the speech.

1. Representative Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee could not explain why she voted for a $7 trillion debt limit without spending cuts under the Bush administration and why it's wrong to do that now, even though it's double. Representative Blackburn was trying to criticize the democrats for taking out over $500 billion out of Medicare but Lawrence O'Donnell quickly reminded her that the Ryan plan does the same thing.
    2. I've only seen republicans being interviewed... Senator Mike Lee was caught short by Chris Matthews yesterday when he tried to say that five votes in the affirmative by the democrats was a bipartisan house bill. He stopped him short again when the senator talked about a previous in balance budget amendment that lost by one vote. He said “be fair senator that was a clean balance budget not one that would take 2/3 of senate and house to pass tax increases."
    3. Speaker Boehner complained last night that Senator Reid's bill was full of accounting gimmicks but the Ryan plan he voted on uses the exact pullout of Iraq and Afghanistan formula.
    4. CNN’s, Erin Burnett reported that she spoke with an investor who talked directly with the credit ratings agency Standard & Poor’s. According to the Standard & Poor’s source, John Boehner’s debt plan would probably still lead to a downgrade of U.S. debt by the ratings agencies, raising interest rates for all Americans. Harry Reid’s plan, however, would preserve America’s AAA credit rating.

Pilot

I hear a plea for some sanity but if your scenario plays out, I’m doomed because I don't hunt or fish.

Perhaps we can work something out; how much fish will my 2007 Prius bring?

July 26, 2011 at 9:39 a.m.

• Pilot.

thank you.

July 25, 2011 at 8:43 p.m.

• Ok, I’ll say it again.

1) 15-30% cut across the board for eight years.
    2) The Fisher Tax plan An Asset/Value Tax on goods and services ranging from 2% (Food ) to 25% (Luxury items). Those making over $300,000 would pay a Flat income tax.

Mr. Williams

July 25, 2011 at 8:08 p.m.

• Vet - right on - you can ask the now generation what they think and they are just as likely to google on their Blackberry and tell you what some talking head has to say about the subject.

July 25, 2011 at 4 p.m.

• Mike,

The Astros are in a Aggie mindset "Wait till last year".

You are dead on when you talk about where and how to invest in the future. We must invest every part of our soul into intellectual growth and developement. That does not mean the latest app. It means developing the mind as a path to what is just beyond the horizon. We will not lead because our youth has the fastest thumbs on the iPad. History is not dead. Math is more that using a calculator. Literature is not only found in a website. Language is the proper use of complete words to develope complete sentances that make communication of thought possible.

July 25, 2011 at 3:57 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

July 25, 2011 at 3:38 p.m.

• vet43

Don't you know it; the last series in Chicago could've been a clinic for how to lose three games you should have won. They do mix it up; one night they can't hit, then the next day they can't play defense and when they get those ironed out; the pitching stinks.
    I hope I didn't mislead you by indicating that they should throw in the towel. I just meant for this one vote on the debt ceiling. I get your point.

That's what I fear the most; catering to the corporations by lowering their Corp rate with nothing in return. The corporations should be using that two trillion dollar surplus to retrain the workers of the future. That's what's missing, corporations are funding special interest to bypass EPA regulations, lower their tax, and Wall Street is following suit by doing the same thing that led us to this financial crisis.

July 25, 2011 at 3:36 p.m.

• "Then we have a new generation that is in a hyper-gotta-have-the-latest-and-greatest-NOW mindset. Attention span that lasts until the next "app" or shiny doddle."

Great Statement! A politician could get elected by giving the now generation a free Ipad and Iphone - would be cheaper than the TV ads.
    I hate sitting at Thanksgiving and having the kids text each other across the table. I like technology, but there is a limit and at sometime we have to begin thinking for ourselves again.

July 25, 2011 at 3:27 p.m.

• God, I wish you had not mentioned the Astros! They will win a game as often as an amadillo could get across the Houston Hwy at highnoon.

Not sure throwing the game is a good idea. If a bill is pased that cripples the middle class some will become convinced that Daddy Koch will take care of them and lose sight of the ball.

I really fear that what is really missing is that belief in doing the right thing for the greater good. In the last decade our most valuable asset has been squandered in lands far away for a victiory that is much like a vapor. I come from a time that we went to what our nation asked of us and retuned to a nation divided by selfish "me first", "got mine" and "it don't matter" people.

Our nation must find a centerboard to stabilize the ship and not leave anyone at the dock because of petty bickering.

July 25, 2011 at 3:13 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

July 25, 2011 at 2:54 p.m.

• You know what's missing Vet43?

People feel they have to win every battle,every day, as if there was no tomorrow. I would say to the democrats" give them a bill with no revenues for now and take it to the American people, as being willing to compromise for the greater good." In 2012 there will be another election, increase your members and then come back and pass your agenda.

We're both Astro fans and we've become used to losing but I bet we hope that the kids will get some experience and in three years,we will be a winner again.

I wish we still had people like Tom Daschle,Trent Lott, Bob Dole, Tip O'Neill,George Mitchell and others who fought hard for their side but at the end of the day; they compromised.

July 25, 2011 at 2:44 p.m.

• Senate votes down GOP debt ceiling plan

The Senate on Friday defeated the Republican "Cut, Cap and Balance" proposal, a move that puts the onus on President Obama and House Speaker John Boehner to present a plan soon to raise the debt ceiling or risk a potentially catastrophic default.

The procedural vote to kill the measure that was approved by the Republican-controlled House on Tuesday was along party lines in the Democratic-controlled Senate.

July 25, 2011 at 2:27 p.m.

• I hate repeating myself. It would seem many of the hard core holdouts on both sides of the isle would rather set them selves on fire than make any compromise.

Ideals are important to our sense of ethics and intergity, but there comes a time to recognize that a Carthaginian peace is not a victory but a self inflected wound. There comes a point that wealth and poverty are the same thing. Pain is a great equalizer.

I pray that common sense and respect for our fellow citizens will prevail and we may move forward to a brighter future. God Bless the United States of America and the brave men and women that protect it and bring them home soon.

July 25, 2011 at 2:24 p.m.

• You still have not addressed the fact that the Senate Democrats have refused to bring the House-passed budget up for debate and a vote. Since the Democrats have a majority, they can easily defeat it, should they so desire. Yet they will not allow it on the floor of the Senate. Could it be that they are afraid of the voter reaction to their voting against Cut, Cap and Balance?

July 25, 2011 at 2:18 p.m.

• I heard those same talking points ad nauseam this weekend but it's not about foot dragging; it's about bypassing about 40 freshmen republicans who won't agree to anything.

If you pass a budget in the house and you know it will be defeated in the senate; it becomes useless. Wasn't that long ago when that was said about Nancy Pelosi getting Cap-and-Trade passed in the house and ignored in the senate.

We're past the talking points of both sides; leaving us with passing the debt ceiling and little else.... Anyone who's kept up knows that the senate democrats will never get the house republicans to agree to anything and vice versa. It's not about 800 days and I've outlined the reasons why in the previous post.

I don't think any party political party can be elevated on ones shoulders for victory lap.

July 25, 2011 at 1:51 p.m.

• vet43

I always hear that the democrats had both houses and the executive, so they could pass anything they wanted to prior to 2010. That became an excuse to blame everything on the democrats by those that don't know anything about parliamentary procedure or the makeup of the democratic party. Senators Mark Pryor,Mary Landrieu, and Bill and Ben Nelson are conservative democrats in the senate and the house is made up of 25 conservative blue dog democrats. ...... It only takes one senator from the minority party to put a hold on anything from ever coming up for vote.

The house republicans are gloating because they passed a couple of bills but they died in the senate. Welcome the politics if that's the standard for greatness, then Nancy Polosi should get a metal because she sent about 400 bills to the senate; where they went to die.

July 25, 2011 at 1:38 p.m.

• It has now been over 800 days since the Democrat-controlled Senate has passed a budget. The House has passed a budget which Harry Reid and his Democrats refuse to bring up for debate and a vote in the Senate. ObaMao submitted a budget that was voted down by the same Senate, 97-0. He has yet to propose an alternative budget that could be scored by the CBO. Which party, exactly, is foot-dragging, hoping to not have to take a stand?

July 25, 2011 at 1:25 p.m.

• Mike,

Thank you for reminding folks that there are moderate and centrist in the Democratic party. Fact is there are the same people in the GOP but the extreme right has control of the party platfrom.

July 25, 2011 at 12:03 p.m.

• arlewill
    I did dig this up on Robert Rubin

Rubin was passionate about fostering business investment as the way to fight poverty in depressed city and rural areas. That made him somewhat unusual among Democrats, who generally emphasized government anti-poverty programs." from Wikipedia

He was a principal player in not wanting to regulate derivatives, so I don't think your classification as far left ,applies.

Have a good one

July 25, 2011 at 12:01 p.m.

• I'm not sure how far left he was because he was a Wall Street CEO and the I'm not sure if he was a democrat. And I do believe he was centrist that worked for the Clinton ministration.. Another centrist.

Just because your democrat does not mean you're a liberal because the party has moderates and conservatives.

Still confused?....

July 25, 2011 at 11:43 a.m.

• Mike
    I thought Robert Rubin was a far left democrat. Did I miss something or am I confused?

July 25, 2011 at 11:37 a.m.