Comments

• Mike,

Looking forward to your return. Now about that person's "id". Is that a part of the mind or a little wizard in the comics? A mind is a terrible thing to twist.

August 2, 2011 at 8:34 p.m.

• Thanks Sugar

My detractors will be pleased that my blogs won't post right now, but this old man will not be dettered,where there is a will,there is a way...:-)

I think I have a Flash Player problem.

Have a great evening

August 2, 2011 at 5:01 p.m.

• YAAAAYYYYY!!!!!

OK, folks, I'm back.

Don't say I didn't warn you.......

And, Mike, way to go with so many reads and comments on your blog, even if some are from charlatans and provacateurs.....

And that speaks of the kind of people they are, not a reflection on you.

August 2, 2011 at 4:49 p.m.

• just testing

August 2, 2011 at 4:45 p.m.

• siub

Exhaustive research? Please, I don't do exhaustive anymore. It's more of a slow methodical search that might take months to complete or lose interest in...:-).. I don't do deadlines anymore! It's more like the D.J. Cooper skyjacking case; it will lie dormant until some new leads come up, to put it back on the front page. Capisce?

Apologies aren't necessary for an opinion, but I will take it in the spirit it was giving, with a promise to do the same, if I'm proven wrong.

I don't hold any animosity towards you, but it's always interesting to see what others really think.

August 2, 2011 at 1:44 p.m.

• Siub

Stop and think... Who threw the first punch? I stand by my suspicion and in the last lines of my last post, I stated" If it goes into the "dead files" that's OK too, because that's just one less uninformed poster I have to put up with. Usually it's much easier to ignore unsubstantiated charges, but I don't want to be known as a shrinking violet either.”....

For the third time, where is your proof? Will you even attempt to find out if I have been cutting and pasting and post your evidence? Aren't you asking for a premature apology when you will not produce evidence for your acquisition? I go to a lot of extra trouble not to plagiarize, but I've made thousands of comments, so it's very possible that I didn't give credit for word or two somewhere down the line. I joined the forum a long time ago, when the editor would not let us copy more than a paragraph or two, and then we had to give credit to the author. I got used to doing that. The editor would call us out if we posted unsubstantiated material. I admit to doing that one time; I was embarrassed and vowed never to do that again. I had misread the article, but I should have known it was too good to be true. Throughout the years, I have made many human mistakes and have apologized, so I don't have any problem making a public apology for a public accusation. My suspicion stands, and I wasn't bragging on any special computer skills. I was just emphasizing that if my suspicions proved correct in the past, then it's not paranoia.

You posted "I'm not trying to "win" with you nor discredit you, nor distract you. We simply disagree."....Really, by implying that I am plagiarizing? People disagree with me every day, and I have to expect that because that's what politics is all about.

I don't need you to judge the amount of time I do or don't spend on a computer because I have worked for over 45 years, so I think that I've earned the right to do what I want. It's a life choice not a "I'm better than you are" thing.

There was never any side skirting because you never brought up an issue, other than my blog was a cut and paste. Is that my MO? Look it up, comment history is there for everyone. That's the reason I know your charge is baseless, but it's all you have.

We've carried on this discussion for too long because I know I don't plagiarize, so I won't beleaguer the point. Think what you want but without proof it's just a baseless accusation but that also applies to me. I simply don't care what you think......I have a lot of deserved time on my hands, so don't take my response as something I go out of my way to do.

You have a good day, but I'm not in the habit of using the word friend, loosely.

August 2, 2011 at 11:41 a.m.

• siub
    A couple of paragraphs hardly qualify for a rant, but I love the old saying" throw a rock over a fence and the hit dog hollers."

Paranoid, that's another word that this longtime blogger uses to describe me. As I stated the other day, keep posting, and the similarities will be brought to light. Through the help of some online friends, I am five for five in outing a banded person, whose only mission in life was to try to discredit me. Results do not equal paranoia.

Don't go patting yourself on the back because the last person using multiple identities is no longer with us. You haven't recognized anything because you have not submitted any proof other than your questionable charges. I've accused others of plagiarizing, but I submitted the proof. It's pretty easy, all you do highlight the words and paste it in Goggle. Be my guest. Anyone accused of using multiple identities will deny it, because their mission is to win by deceiving.

You do a lot of guessing (shotgun method) but in one paragraph, you contradict yourself. You say I'm intelligent, but I'm 100% wrong... It can't be both.

You can accuse me of thinking that I have more followers than I do, but if you check my comment history, you will see that I always call myself a lowly poster with an opinion. I never refer myself as a professional blogger and several times I've said that I am not offering an official opinion of democrats, liberals, or progressives. It's there, but why do research when off -the -wall will suffice? In your case, it's all about marginalizing.

I didn't believe a word you wrote, but comment history and IP address will be on my side when it's all over. You are nothing more than a slight distraction, no more that what I've received throughout the years, so don't flatter yourself, because after you posted, life went on as usual. I even wrote a blog about the situation but for now your status is still in the investigation phase for me. If it goes into the "dead files" that's OK too, because that's just one less uninformed poster I have to put up with.Most of the time it's much easier to ignor unsubstantiated charges but I don't want to be known as a shrinking violet either.

I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned this before; my avatar on the blog is not that difficult to miss, believe me I won’t to be upset if you decide to ignore it.

August 2, 2011 at 9:41 a.m.

• When will they vote for the cap on the Federal Reserve. It has 16 trillion out in "loans" to banks and other friends.

August 1, 2011 at 9:57 p.m.

• The crisis has been averted? You mean we aren't over $14 trillion in debt anymore? Awesome!

August 1, 2011 at 8:38 p.m.

• Vet43
    The standing ovation for Giffords was sure something and the house passing the bill by a 269-161 margin was great....95 Dems and 174 Rep...The senate will vote late tonight or tomorrow and another crisis has been averted.

It's on to the next fight.

August 1, 2011 at 8 p.m.

• Representative Gabby Gifford walked into the House and cast a vote in favor of the bill on the dept ceiling. Now if the GOP and the Tea Party (and some Democrats) would show the same amount of courage our nation will return to the nation fought for in 1776 and founded in 1789 under the Constitution.

God Bless the United States of America and the men and women of our military, and Rep. Gifford.

August 1, 2011 at 7:46 p.m.

• vet43

Let the political games began.... This was supposed to be voted on by the senate first since they were the ones who compromised but the tea party natives are getting restless and even greedier. It's not enough that they got 95% of what they wanted; now they want the democrats to supply most of the votes to get the bill to pass in the house. If you can imagine, the right- wing tea partier wants to protect himself from a primary opponent on their right. Because of the current makeup of the house, it will take 216 votes to pass. The democrats don't like this bill, so if Nancy Pelosi plays her cards right, she would tell speaker Boehner that she will supply 66 democrats leaving him the balance of 150 to pass the bill. She probably won't do that and do what it takes to get the 216 votes.

Emailing, telephoning, and contacting your representatives might be nice, but unless we get Congress to enact stricter campaign finance reform; it won't do much good. The very day that our representatives are sworn in, they're on the phones asking donors to contribute for the next election. The Supreme Court allowed corporations to contribute as much as they want without revealing their name. It is not a hard decision for a representative to choose between a corporation, who will finance their campaign or the constituents. Constituents have a short memory, and their small donation barely covers the postage. ....

We can't take away a lobbyist access because they have the constitutional right to petition the government, but we can take other creative measures such as a five-year ban on a lobbyist after they have left office. We could start by prohibiting them to lobby on issues where the lawmaker had a seat on a committee..... I would never vote anyone that signed a pledge..... I want someone who uses their good judgment not someone who will be micromanaged.

August 1, 2011 at 1:39 p.m.

• It our elected national and state officials conduct themselves or vote in a way that is not in our best interest then call, write, e-mail or visit any and every chance you can. Find out what corporate support do they have and communicate with that company to let them know your also vote with your dollars.

August 1, 2011 at 12:58 p.m.

• I would hope that the coming election year will be a time when middle class Americans really get involved and come to know what the candidates stand for. We have to stop letting everyone else elect our representation. We need to get active in letting our representation know how we feel about the issues - we have to write our representation. I do - and even though I normally get what I feel like is a form letter - at least I was not complacent.

Of course don't forget emails, phone calls, and all the other ways to contact the people in Washington. I sure don't like feeling like the very people I have helped elect (even if they beat my selected candidate - I did vote) holding me hostage.

Time to stand up and be counted - everyday if necessary.

August 1, 2011 at 12:43 p.m.

• Mike & Newcowboy,

My hope (another nasty word) is that the center mass of the American voter has had a shock to thier slumber and comes to the forefront to be heard. This is the time for rational party leadership to have a come to Jesus talk with the public at large in thier respective following.

It seems the American public only stands up if thier home and family is in danger. Not a historian but I think I remember a feller named Carlise said that history is cyclical and although events and technogy effect the pendulem swing, gravity or mass draws it back to the center. If the folks in the middle income bracket and those of us that are on the other side of 50 compare thier W-2's and 1040's to see who is treading on whom maybe the bell will toll for the greedy at the far ends of the bell curve of the real world.

August 1, 2011 at 12:09 p.m.

• Newcowboyintown

I still have to reluctantly give the "Tea Party" their kudos. They formed their group against all odds but they went out and found the funding, did the grassroots work to get like minded individuals to run for office. The 87 freshman Tea Party members stood by their guns and were willing(still might) to let the country default to get their demands. They couldn't be bought off with congressional perks, pork, or threats. They will lost their " silver bullet" if the debt limit is raised until 2013. We will have another fight over the 2012 budget but the government can keep spending without a budget with continuing resolutions.

At some point in time it's time to stop talking and start governing. Once the austerity measures are put in; what's left?

Unfortunately the middle class have jobs and don't have the time necessary to form a third party the way the Tea Party organized.

August 1, 2011 at 11:33 a.m.

• I tend to agree with you Mike on whether this is a death blow to President Obama's reelection chances. It is difficult to defeat a sitting President I believe - unless the other party has a very strong candidate - and to date I don't see that strong candicdate in the Republican party.
    Also - I agree - not many moderates - seems the extreme ends are the most vocal. Very unfortunate that elected officials seem to have to choose sides rather than what is best for us.

August 1, 2011 at 11:17 a.m.

• vet43
    I agree with your sentiment but there's not a lot of moderates left in either party.

The Tea Party will run opponents against the remaining moderates in the republican party. Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins will keep their seats but I'm not so sure about Orrin Hatch and others. I believe Massachusetts republican Scott brown can be defeated by a democrat.

It's really something when the word compromise, is a dirty word.

August 1, 2011 at 10:50 a.m.

• The Tea Party has made thier stand and there are many moderates in both parties and independants that have seen the problem caused by the 2010 election. In truth this event , I believe, will be a wake up call to the middleclass it is time to become informed and impowered to make our voices heard.

August 1, 2011 at 10:15 a.m.

• Obama just signed his death warrant for the 2012 election????

Do you know something that I don't? Do you mean that the house and the senate has already approved the proposal and the president has signed it? That's news to me. He will sign it but it will be step one of the two step phase... You you already know the results of the bipartisan super congressional committee? Do you know who's gonna be on it? If you know all those answers; you're an insider.

As long as you have Mitt Romney and Michelle Bachmann as the republican front runners; the economy has to get a lot worse before counting Obama out... It's a little premature...IMO

August 1, 2011 at 9:53 a.m.

• Obama just signed his losing slip for 2012.

August 1, 2011 at 9:43 a.m.

• Kyle
    Not this time... This is a longtime blogger who posts regularly on another site but that's as far as I can go.... Comment history is a valuable tool.

August 1, 2011 at 9:41 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

August 1, 2011 at 9:40 a.m.

• Toy Barks!

August 1, 2011 at 9:34 a.m.

• siub
    I now know who you are.....I have submitted 427 listed blogs and you are the only one that keeps calling it cut & paste but PROVE IT by submitting the exact same words..That's what I would do.....I gave Farreed credit and the rest is from several hours of actually keeping up...You are not as ..Oh,never mind.

I know who you are but I can't divulge it here but I do have a personal blog....Perhaps,you can help me,is it against the rules to have more than one identity?

August 1, 2011 at 9:29 a.m.

• born2Bme amd vet43

Thanks for the kind words but I've been at for six years; I don't see any reason to stop just because of a little noise....:-)

The Tea Party got 95% of what they wanted, so they should take their victory lap and hope that "austerity only" will help us grow. It's according to their plan to make government as small as a Radio Shack outlet. The pro war republicans might not like what's in the second phase triggers. That's what this whole debate been about all along. It's the future role of government.

Yesterday,Farred Zackaria(host of CNN's GPS) said Denmark was the only other country that had a debt ceiling but they kept theirs artificially high so that they would never go beyond it. The government has always been authorized to spend but those spending levels haven't been met with appropriate tax increases, so it's always been assumed that we would have to raise the debt limit.

The media will give the Tea Party the win and phrase it as " the little guy going against establishment" but the Tea Party never received entitlement reform and they released their hostage until the year 2013 when a different set of politicians will be in office. They have lost their weapon when it comes to keeping the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy. It's funny how it seems OK that the top 2% will not be asked to participate in a shared sacrifice.

Farred said the bond market was going to downgrade our credit rating; not because of our credit standing; it's because we're acting like deadbeat dads. We didn't have any trouble borrowing money two months ago.Besides aren't these the same fellows who gave AAA to the junk Wall Street was peddling in 2008?We already know they can be persuaded.

The markets are up because they assume the bills will get passed and we won't default on our debt limit. We didn't talk about jobs or growth and we should know that those two variables will do more to bring down the deficit and the debt than austerity only measures. According to CBO in the years 1980 to 2007, the average household income remained the same while the top 20% doubled and the top 1% quadrupled. We'll never set up a super congressional committee to tackle that situation.

Consumer spending is about 60-70% of our GDP..We have a demand problem.

August 1, 2011 at 9 a.m.

• Time for rational folks to wake up and smell the Coffee Party. A Pew Poll said the Tea Party makes up ~ 28% of the GOP. Maybe that is a bit high.

July 31, 2011 at 10:22 p.m.

• The president and congressional leaders have agreed to deal to avoid default but it's still up to the GOP house to pass it...As Obama just said"It's not done yet."...If senate passes it by 75-25 it will make it harder for Tea Party to vote no, but nothing surprises me any more.

July 31, 2011 at 7:51 p.m.

• Victore.

Is that all you got? Huh is that all you have? You and your cohorts can't handle me.

July 31, 2011 at 7:19 p.m.

• Mike,

Keep up the good fight. Many of these anti-anything posters read a book once and quit. Made thier brain hurt.

July 31, 2011 at 9:03 a.m.

• "it's the GOP fault for allowing themselves to get pushed far to the right"

this movement reflects the acknowledgement by mainstream America that the time has come to control runaway federal spending

thats the headline issue - we all know its time to cut spending

July 31, 2011 at 6:51 a.m.

• victore wrote this

Mike, people are not buying your leftwing extremist threads anymore.

Uh, you can't speak for anyone but yourself. I think Mike always makes sense, even when he disagrees with me. He knows a whole lot more about politics than I do and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

July 30, 2011 at 9:45 p.m.

• Read the link I left...Why do you think I care about your personal affairs? I didn't bother you and you shouldn't care what I post...no one is forcing you to post...

July 30, 2011 at 8:33 p.m.

• Mike, since you have refused to admit that the President is a lair in regards to social security and the political stunt he pulled, and it back fired, and that any one on SS, which has a direct deposit did received their checks this morning. Mike, people are not buying your leftwing extremist threads anymore.

I feel really bad about owning an airplane, so Sunday morning I’m going to get into my Beech King Air twin turbo prop and fly back to my home in Ft. Walton Beach/Destin Florida airport and post a for sale sign on it. Because, Obama has made me feel so guilty about owning a ½ million dollar aircraft. But let me remind you that the 25 or 30 thousand dollars I pay a year to maintain that airplane, I truly hope I do not put anyone out of work, because I know they have families to feed. LOL, actually you and Obama, you two know what you can do… Don’t you…

Writein, the comment you made I’m going to send you a “NEON” sign, and it will read as to your post…

Victore
    7/30/2011
    8:20 pm

July 30, 2011 at 8:26 p.m.

• Republican leaders are reporting that they are close to a deal with the president...We will see but as the president said " He has already been left at the alter a couple of times." :-)

July 30, 2011 at 3:58 p.m.

• born2Bme

I agree to a point but if the economy crashes it will be the GOP who will be blamed because Americans are paying attention and a majority know that the details inside the bill is not a reason to let the country default.

I think Donna Brazile explained it nicely when she said " The GOP and the Dems went to a elegant restaurant in New Orleans,ordered the best cuisine,some expensive wine but when it came time to pay the GOP bolted for the door...This bill is about paying for the debt both parties incurred.

The argument I overheard the other was typical of what is posted in this forum..They blame the president for spending but he CAN'T spend what the GOP house doesn't approve.
    It's mostly republicans who don't want to exit Iraq & Afghanistan that's about $1.8 billion  a week.

You are right about the presidential election but it's the GOP fault for allowing themselves to get pushed far to the right. They also will try to tie the president's hand on domestic issues which will cause a weaken economy to worsen, since all they believe in is tax cuts and cut spending.

The new GOP governors went out in full force to shut down the unions,passed controversial anti-abortion laws,went after the EPA,and yes,enacted laws making it harder for non-republicans to vote and gerrymandered districts to suit them.....It's a nation wide effort to win the next election because they know their time is limited. even thou they still four conservative Supreme Court judges in their pocket..

July 30, 2011 at 3:48 p.m.

• Stall, stall, stall, and see who blinks first. Republicans are counting on Democrats not wanting a disaster on their hands, so they (democrats) will agree to anything. Republicans will hold out to the end and let the deadline pass before they give in. If the economy crashes, republicans can then blame everything on the President and the Democrats. Their main concern is that President Obama is a one-term President. My feeling is that they are so scared that he will win, that they are willing to play Russian roulette, rather than do what is best for the Country. What a bunch of egotistical losers.
    Republicans had better hope that their policies do not hurt the people that elected Obama the last time, or they will mobilize again. We all know how that turned out last time. I really don't think that the tea party, or most of the Republicans, know how people are struggling. Or maybe they do, which is why they are trying to change the voting laws, so they can exclude as many struggling voters as they can.

July 30, 2011 at 3:05 p.m.

• Now the Reid has failed to pass the house 173-246..That means some Dems voted against Reids's bill....Now it's back to the White House..

I still think it time to test the 14th Amendment.

July 30, 2011 at 2:28 p.m.

• Thanks Writein,I completely missed Victore's post.

First it's always customary for the party out of power to vote against the debt ceiling for political reasons but they make sure enough of their colleges are available to pass it.President Obama and senator Durbin have apologized for not voting to pass it but Obama should not have added the extra criticism of President Bush.

Second he told CBS that he could not "guarantee "  that the Social Security checks would be paid....There is a reason for that called the constitution...The secretary of state would prioritize how the checks would be sent out with input from a lot of people,,,Remember we are in uncharted waters....Don't take my word for it.

July 30, 2011 at 2:23 p.m.

• Legion357.

Thank you for setting Victore (and hopefully the WHINING OLD ANGRY IDOITS) straight about the debt ceiling.

Williams 2014.

July 30, 2011 at 2 p.m.

• There are some that can quote the latest talk radio sound bites,stick in some name calling and red baiting but cannot see if a republican speaker of the house can't get a bill through their chamber without totally giving to the extreme right,what is the chance of a senate budget getting through?

The Ryan plan doomed the GOP members that voted to privatize Medicare in the next election...They know that ;that's why they are so anxious for the Dems to commit to Medicare cuts..They want to be able to say "see they wanted to cut Medicare too."

Need to brush up on civics and facts....That was a poor budget that was presented by the president and Dems voted against it....That's not that big of a deal,bills get rejected all the time.

July 30, 2011 at 1:51 p.m.

• As long as I have control of the contents of this blog,I feel an obligation to make sure everything is factual and not from filtered sources.
     Facts

Usually the house of representatives is made of 435 elected lawmakers.  Right now the Dems are two short because one is held by Rep. Giffords is still out on medical absence and Anthony Weiner's replacement has not been elected.  That leaves 240 republicans and 193 democrats in the house......To get a majority of that house speaker Boehner needs 217 votes for a simple majority...He has 23 over that limit to get what he wants passed....Last night after a second try he added more features to get the Tea Party votes he needed...He barely did that with a final tally of 218-210 ...That means five people did not vote , 22 republicans voted against it and not a single democrat voted for it....Why is that? The Tea Party that voted with the Dems did not want to cast a yes vote for something they knew would fail in the senate..
    ..The senate (as they said they would) defeated Boehner's bill in A record two hours with nine reublicans 59-41.....Since the clock was ticking (senates rules of a 48 hour wait) senate leader Harry Reid was going to use the same number the house used,but he was going to replace it with one the senate agreed on....I didn't know they could do that. To Harry Reid's surprise Mitch McConnell said he was no longer negotiating with him because he wanted to deal directly with the president....That's the sticking point born2Bme was talking about...McConnell does not want the senate to come up with a another bill that will pass the debt limit because it would make the president look good without him giving up anything.......McConnell  filibustering tactics is what is holding up the works....

Fact is the GOP can pass anything they want but unless it passes the senate and gets the presiden't signature;it doesn't mean anything...practice games don't cound.

July 30, 2011 at 1:32 p.m.

• The Republicans in the House have passed two budget bills and sent them to the Senate. Neither has been allowed on the floor for debate and a vote on the merits of the bill. ObaMao has submitted one budget which was rejected by the Democrat-controlled Senate on a vote of 97-0. The Democrat-controlled Senate has not passed a budget bill in over 800 days. Which party, exactly, is stalling and foot-dragging?

July 30, 2011 at 11:50 a.m.

• the government will not default

and spending has to come down - they know it they just can't do it

the cuts these guys are talking about "over the next 10 years" don't even make a dent in the deficit much less the 15T debt

its no wonder they're running scared from the BBA

July 30, 2011 at 5:29 a.m.

• Old Gezzer was napping and just checked in to see if there has been a "we are all in this togeather" whiplash. I wish I had the intellect of our posters to debate with accurate information. I deal with how I will pay to stay alive and I paid to keep so many alive in the last 5 or 6 decades.

If our nation can not find it's center now like it could not in 1861 our experiment has failed. Not President Obama, not the Democratic party, not the Republican Party. Not even the Tea Party. The failure is the American citizen that fought to bring this country to be the ideal of what is right. It is time to do what is right for your neighbor, your family and your country.

July 29, 2011 at 6:07 p.m.

• Victore, I am not a supporter of President Obama. I know full well how much he has increased federal spending.

The debt ceiling has been raised something like 76 times in the last TEN years. Pay the money you have already spent, then tighten up your spending habits.

July 29, 2011 at 5:34 p.m.

• Gentlemen, I’m going to make a passing comment for all you followers of Obama… In March of 2006, then Senator Obama stood at the podium on the floor of the United States Senate, and preceded with a speech on the deficit ceiling, which he alone criticized President Bush on the lack of leadership. This was about raising the debt ceiling, and how it would have a devastating effect on the American people and our children, grandparents and bla bla bla! My question to ya’ll, what does that make him, an out right liar, or a political fraud? Since ya’ll, have made every attempt to avoid the facts about this President over the debt ceiling, just were in the heck does your creditability lay, because ya’ll have been disingenuous with the comments that have been made within this forum. This President out right lied to the American people, when he commented that social security checks could be with held if the U.S. defaults on its debt. There is tax revenue coming in every day, he will be held accountable for that comment. And I will also remind ya’ll this President is spending 4.1 billion a day. If ya’ll want to continue to believe this political BS, just have a field day with it and have wonderful weekend. The next time ya’ll are in Fl. stop by and I will buy you a beer.

July 29, 2011 at 5:26 p.m.

• Thanks Legion357

arlewil,I hope you understood my last two post because they were loaded with typos...Typing too fast before leaving for the night...I hope our differences doesn't make us like the 4 old geezers I described in my blog...I value your input and our civil discussions.

I leave this article.

July 29, 2011 at 5:09 p.m.

• Like you mentioned before Mike, the argument is about borrowing money THAT CONGRESS HAS ALREADY SPENT.

Raising the debt limit does not mean the government will spend more, it means the government can pay the tab it's already run up.

To use the old tired comparison of a household budget, you receive your utility bill and oh my God it's high this month, that doesn't mean you just don't pay it, you turn the ac up the next month.

I'm not looking it up again, but I think the only time there was not a federal deficit, actually in the black, was in 1835-37. Sure there have been BUDGET surplus s like during the Clinton years. Even then, overall, we still had a negative on the balance sheet, we just reduced the amount we owe some of those years.

Do it this way, do it that way, the money has already been spent!

Pay for the money you've already spent congress, all of us have too or we go without.

July 29, 2011 at 5:01 p.m.

• oops,I posted "I agree but I don't think the debt ceiling has to be tied to the debt ceiling."

I should have posted " I agree but spending cuts don't have to be attached to the debt ceiling bill." Republicans voted for a Bush $7 trillion debt ceiling bill with no spending cuts.

July 29, 2011 at 4:46 p.m.

• arlewill

You seem to want a "austerity only" approach. Have you you seen what that approach is doing to Europe? Granted, they were in more trouble than we are but I think we need to concentrate on jobs and the economy also.... Do you think our economic competitors are going to wait around while we do all this cutting? Are our children going to be an asset with drastic cuts in education? Do you want us to continue with a " drill baby drill" and we'll worry about safety later on? Shouldn't we be investing in alternative fuels and high speed rail or wait until another country finds a clean energy we will pay dearly for? Our bridges and highways are in dire need of repair but I guess we'll ignore that even though interest rates and materials are low right now.

I just believe there's a different approach if we don't get blinded by ideology. Yes, I'm a proponent of Keynesian economics' but that's an economic theory this not based on ideology. I've never said I we didn't need to reduce spending , reform the entitlements and the tax code. People seem to think we can just arbitrarily taxe every one at 10% and the problems over. I would bet my last dollar that CBO which would score that badly.

July 29, 2011 at 4:40 p.m.

• arlewill

We've had this conversation before where you laid the entire spending on a 2009 democratic administration. You seem to forget the seven trillion dollar prescription drug bill and two wars that was not paid for... Did I mention the two Bush tax cuts where we borrowed 42¢ on a dollar to give tax cuts primarily to the wealthy? You seem to be you seem to forget that were losing a 500.000 to 750,000 jobs a month before this administration even took office. We were headed for a deep depression and consumers were spending a lot less than they are now. It's easy to lay the blame on the administration that had to spend money to revive the economy. Where there mistakes made? Absolutely but the administration was met with opposition every step of the way. I know you have to root for the home team as well as I, but I don't think the facts that I laid out can be disputed.

I agree but I don't think the debt ceiling has to be tied to the debt ceiling. Both parties are operating under a panic mode; I can't see any good legislation coming from an environment like that. This is not an ideal time for rational budget proposals because if the economy picks up in the last quarter; the deep cuts won't be as necessary. But it will be a long time before the economy improves, so it's best to take the approach you described.

We need to have a bipartisan balanced approach so that all the burden is not placed on those who can least afford it or stymie growth. We still need to grow grain environment to produce jobs and that will lower the deficit and the debt.

I think the only reason the rating agencies will downgrade our credit rating is the stalemate we have in Congress. If Congress can show a workable plan to reduce the deficit and debt in 10 years with spending cuts and revenues; they would be happy because what's the alternative?

We have a couple plans out there already....e.g.if we repealed the entire Bush tax cuts when the economy starts a rebound; we would save four trillion dollars over 10 years. The Bowles- Simpson deficit reduction plan saves four trillion dollars over 10 years.
    Those plans have already been scored by CBO and the bondholders. We still need to reform our tax code to get rid of some deductions, credits, and tax incentives for lower rates. We still need to reform Medicare and Social Security but it doesn't have to be done right away. We need to to do something about demand.

July 29, 2011 at 4:24 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

July 29, 2011 at 4:19 p.m.

• Mike
    The Administration is not serious about near term reductions in the amount of money the government spends. These folks have increased Federal spending since Jan 2009 in record amounts. The proposals I have seen from the Democrats for reducing spending are in the distant future and some are from non-existent programs in the future. We are currently borrowing or printing 42 cents of every federal dollar spent. The problem is now and not ten years from now.
    I would like to see the debt ceiling raised with some meaningful near term cuts as a down payment on tough decisions later. Those who wish for more cuts are just as dangerous to the economy as those who want to continue with the spending and kicking the can down the road. The deficit spending problem has to be reduced with "baby steps" to avoid an economic calamity. The current level of deficit spending has to be slowed down and gradually reduced over time.
    I believe U.S. debt has reached a point where the rating agencies will downgrade it regardless of the outcome of increasing the debt ceiling.

July 29, 2011 at 3:57 p.m.

• Still waiting on the Democrat-controlled Senate, the Senate that has not passed a budget in over 800 days, to vote on the budget passed by the House. And do not even think about trying the canard you used previously in answer to this comment. If you do not know the difference between debating and voting on a bill and tabling a bill without debate or a vote, you should change the title of your blog, since you obviously know nothing about the political process in the U.S. Congress.

The Democrats have a majority and can easily defeat the bill. Why are they refusing to bring it to the floor for debate and a vote? Could it be that they are afraid of the consequences of voting against Cut, Cap and Balance?

July 29, 2011 at 3:44 p.m.

• I hope that's not even remotely true because the market doesn't care what party is at blame. The bondholders don't care who's to blame and it's really the recipients of the 80 million checks that will be the losers......

I really believe that they are about 30 extreme right wing ideologues that will not budge unless they get everything they want. They think the message they get from their constituents, is the voice of America. They have already changed the format from a balanced approach to spending cuts only.They have a radio preacher Harold Camping mindset that can't be changed..... They think they are on a mission.

I don't know why speaker Boehner doesn't bypass them and come up with a bill in which 30 blue dog democrats will sign on to..... Oh, I forgot he wants to be speaker next year.

July 29, 2011 at 3:23 p.m.

• They're just playing games, waiting for the last minute so everyone, they hope, blames the democrats and President Obama

July 29, 2011 at 3:07 p.m.

• vet43

The other day I heard a story about a speaker of the house from yesteryear that wanted a controversial bill passed, but he didn't have the votes, so he called a roll call...He said " while the nays are indeed louder; the ayes have it...approved."

I'd just don't understand it.... The house rules committee has just approved the revisions to the John Boehner bill because he moved the bill further to the right by adding a balance budget amendment for the next debt ceiling fight..Harry Reid has already assured the house that 53 democrats in the senate will vote it down. The republican house thinks everyone shares their beliefs.

The last balanced budget amendment the house submitted had a poison pill in it. It would require 2/3 votes from each house to pass tax increases. And that's a nonstarter.

The republican's balanced budget amendment reminds me of a book report I once submitted after I had checked out the book the day before the report was due...I deserved the failing grade it received.

July 29, 2011 at 1:29 p.m.

• Mike,

First Tea Partier discovers fire. "Pretty. Warm. Play with pretty fire."

ouch................

July 29, 2011 at 12:12 p.m.

• vet43
    They're (tea party)playing clips of the movie "The Town" to get them motivated to vote NO...lol

If they don't get a deal done by Sunday, no one will be laughing.

A dumb tea party lawmaker said "we don't know the consequences of the default because it's never been done"...Duh!.... I've never taken heroin but I know it's bad for me.

Who in their right mind wants to find out?

July 29, 2011 at 12:06 p.m.

• Gansoblanco

The market dropped 198 points the other day and it started out slowly today but I agree the big money boys will be screaming today. They don't want to come into work Monday and find sell-offs all over the board.

Senator John McCain impressed me the other by quoting that article but then he went on the Sean Hannity Show and did a complete 180.

They have about 80 and freshman tea partiers in the house and about 20 of them are outright stupid, so financial indicators mean nothing to them...Michelle Bachmann has gone into hiding because she has to explain her position on not passing the debt ceiling.

July 29, 2011 at 11:53 a.m.

• I remember "back in the day" when all politics was done behind closed doors in smoke filled rooms. The same is true today except the parties have changed.

Somewhere in a Washington backroom there is a group of Tea Party elected public servants smoking something (or eating brownies) and laughing the rest of us.

2012, just saying.

July 29, 2011 at 11:52 a.m.

• The markets have begun to slide.

The Wall Street Journal editorialized this week,

"But what none of these critics have is an alternative strategy for achieving anything nearly as fiscally or politically beneficial as Mr. Boehner's plan. The idea seems to be that if the House GOP refuses to raise the debt ceiling, a default crisis or gradual government shutdown will ensue, and the public will turn en masse against . . . Barack Obama. The Republican House that failed to raise the debt ceiling would somehow escape all blame. Then Democrats would have no choice but to pass a balanced-budget amendment and reform entitlements, and the tea-party Hobbits could return to Middle Earth having defeated Mordor.

This is the kind of crack political thinking that turned Sharron Angle and Christine O'Donnell into GOP Senate nominees. The reality is that the debt limit will be raised one way or another, and the only issue now is with how much fiscal reform and what political fallout."

The money boys are about to weigh in.

As Mr. Dylan long ago aptly noted, "Money doesn't talk it screams."

The mainstreamers will work something out.

July 29, 2011 at 11:41 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

July 29, 2011 at 10:32 a.m.