Comments

• Rebecca
    lol...I saw that and was just teasing..Forgive..me..:-)

March 11, 2011 at 9:32 a.m.

• I know how that is, Mike. Last night it looked like I was talking to myself because someone deleted all of their comments. (I think I've only done that to you once.)

March 11, 2011 at 9:29 a.m.

• Thanks Hictoria,for me "thinking outside the box" in this city/county/state, comes natural..:-)

March 11, 2011 at 9:11 a.m.

• I agree with the other posters Mike. I think you do think outside the box and have some really good points. We normally do not agree, but at least we see others point of view.

March 11, 2011 at 9:02 a.m.

• Rebecca
    It will have to do but don't delete your comment because it will make my response look foolish..:-)

March 11, 2011 at 8:58 a.m.

• Thank you very much, jbj, we may have gotten off one wrong foot, but it doesn't have to remain that way. I apologize for any actions on my part, that offended you.

March 11, 2011 at 8:55 a.m.

• Mike, you asked me a question a few comments back and I thought about it off and on throughout that day. I also had a response, but it got so off topic and I didn't share it. But, I thought about it. It's the thought that counts, right?

March 10, 2011 at 9:06 p.m.

• Mike, actually, even though you and I usually disagree, I have valued your blogs for the perspective you offer.

March 10, 2011 at 8:53 p.m.

• SugarMagnolia

Wow....I am at a lost for words because just a couple of kind words take the sting out of the weeks of constant negativity... I'm not naive; I know I deserve what I get sometimes..:-)

Thanks a lot and as a fellow blogger, I'm sure you know how much your words mean to me.

March 10, 2011 at 11:30 a.m.

• Mike - I know how you feel about publishing a blog, and I sometimes feel the same way about blogging as well as commenting on this forum. But don't get discouraged.

Even though I may not always agree with your and others' postings, I always find that I learn something when I read. And the back and forth disagreements are sometimes enlightening as well; it gets me thinking and searching for answers myself. And I believe that is valuable.

Please keep posting, sir. Your efforts are appreciated.

March 10, 2011 at 11:07 a.m.

• wndymiller22

Thank you very much for the reassuring words.

I often wonder if it's worth publishing a blog because often times, as soon as I hit {enter} posters that don't bother to read the blog, will take it in the direction of their choosing.

I love that “Reach one, Teach one."

March 10, 2011 at 9:59 a.m.

• Mike, I understand the point of your blog. This being: Do not judge the whole for what a fraction is doing. By doing so, a person creates a hasty generalization fallacy in their own argument, which makes it more difficult for myself (and I'm sure others) to see the point of views as valid.

One ethnic group isn't better than the other. One religion isn't better than the other. SOME Muslims are terrorists; not ALL. SOME Americans are biased; not ALL. Another great blog, Mike. Reach one, teach one.

March 10, 2011 at 9:46 a.m.

• Rebecca
    I've also said that we should elect more women to public office because they don't get involved in scandals. There is one exception,Republican U.S. Rep. Heather Wilson of Arizona who was involved in the U.S. Atty. scandal a few years ago.

March 9, 2011 at 5:55 p.m.

• This USA poll didn't ask if the hearings would make a safer but the results of the poll indicates that it won't because a majority of Americans do not believe that Muslim-Americans have become radicalized.

I'm not really surprised that a lot of people think the hearings are appropriate because the results are about the same as the mosque issue was last year.

The new poll finds that 52% of Americans feel the hearing is appropriate, while only 38% believe the hearing is inappropriate. Another 10% of Americans have no opinion.

The poll also found that more Americans think Muslims living in America are committed to their religion than think they are supportive of the United States. While 53% of Americans feel Muslims are supportive of the United States, 82% believe they are committed to their religious beliefs.

A majority of Americans do not believe, however, that Muslims in America have become radicalized. Fifty percent do not think Muslims are too extreme in their religious beliefs, while only 36% hold that view. The poll also found that 54% believe Muslims are not sympathetic to the al-Qaeda terrorist organization, while only 28% think they are sympathetic.

March 9, 2011 at 5:47 p.m.

• I agree about not judging an individual because of their religion, race, or gender (most violent crimes are committed by males). People are made up of many more layers than religion and rational people can usually understand that.

I also think that it's wrong to play on people's fear and especially foolish to make decisions based on fear. You get things like The Patriot Act. Big eye roll.

March 9, 2011 at 5:47 p.m.

• Does anyone really believe King’s hearings will result in anything positive or make us safer?

March 9, 2011 at 3:42 p.m.

• Hictoria
    You started out being reasonable but when I don't agree with your logic; you end with sarcasm...That's OK,fool me once.

I don't equate Islam with terrorists because there are 1.57 billion Muslims world wide who practice that religion.

You are going to have to be more specific about a bill being read before passing.... Never mind, we're through with this discussion.

March 9, 2011 at 2:25 p.m.

• I agree on not to single source, However, there is only one Qur'an.

"BTW Just because I didn't research Islam doesn't mean I'm completely blind when it comes to defining terrorist."

Spot on the comment...You got (Islam and terrorist together)

However, on the same token that statement sounds like someone who does not read the bill before passing it....

March 9, 2011 at 2:11 p.m.

• I do not single source because I look for context, agenda, expertise, bias, and a contrary opinion before I paint with a broad brush.

Your link did not influence my opinion because I go back to basic human traits instead of comparing a group of people with those engulfed in fundamentalist beliefs....

March 9, 2011 at 1:44 p.m.

• I respect your position on religion. However, I took it upon myself to show you what some of their books says about us. Maybe then you can paint your canvas with a finer brush...

March 9, 2011 at 1:28 p.m.

• Hictoria

The statement like the one you wrote indicates that we should be at war with Islam; I assure you we are not. I'm not an authority on religion, so I'm not going to dispute or accept your assumption.

I think a Muslim American is a human being; many are fighting on the front lines in Afghanistan and live and pay their taxes; it's not for me to paint with a broad brush.

I know there is a difference and there always will be one because we will always use the "flavor of the month" to pick our scapegoats. During the hearings it will be the Muslims, after that maybe it'll be the union school teachers again, unwed mothers,liberals or ***gasp** someone with a world view different from ours.

March 9, 2011 at 1:19 p.m.

• Mike, the difference you are looking for can be summed up sort of like this...

A radical Muslim is someone who says that all non-Muslims must be either converted or killed NOW.
    A moderate Muslim is someone who says that all non-Muslims must be converted NOW but for both humanitarian and practical reasons the reprobates can be killed LATER ON.

It is clearly stated in their Qur'an...

March 9, 2011 at 12:54 p.m.

• Rebecca said"If I were born into Islam, I would hope that I would be brave enough to speak out against extremism and violence."

Sometimes that's easier said than done because although child predators may not be the equivalent to extremism and violence in your example; I had a similar experience in which I did not take action..i.e. When priest were molesting children... Like many others, I let the hierarchy, the media, and the authorities do my bidding. Of course, I thought their actions were reprehensible but I localized the problem to my church;my priest.

1. Do You think I should've done more? What would you have done? Would it have made a difference?BTW leaving was never an option.
    2. Is it apples and oranges?Isolated cases cannot compare to a world wide problem.

That's the point of my blog.....Why are we holding innocent Muslim-Americans responsible for the actions of the few radical extremist?

I'm interested in seeing your thoughts, as to whether I'm wrong in my thinking.

March 9, 2011 at 11:19 a.m.

• Rollin, also, the quote about democracy crumbling on that blog you posted, he has a point. Look at us. We gather and protest to get our way. We no longer trust that our vote would bring change.

March 9, 2011 at 10:29 a.m.

• Rollin, the protesters were screaming at innocent people, even children. The protesters were not protesting the speaker, they were protesting Islam. "Go home!" "One nation under God not Allah" were the chants.

March 9, 2011 at 10:27 a.m.

• Hictoria

There's nothing wrong with honesty and proclaiming your fear because that's who you are and you're not alone.I am not judging or condemning you and I'm certainly not the placing a label on you for being a human being who is being honest.

This blog was supposed to be about singling out innocent people because the representative does not think they are doing enough in helping weeding out would be terrorists.... Back in in the 50s we didn't single out Italian- Americans because they didn't report illegal activity in their neighborhood? I know you might say "but this terrorism" and I would say let's investigate all domestic terrorism. During WWII we locked up Japanese- Americans because we didn't trust their allegiance and who can forget the McCarthy hearings?....We don't have to go down this path again.

March 9, 2011 at 10:18 a.m.

• Yeah, that Siraj Wahhaj sounds like a fine fellow, preaches nothing but racial and religious harmony. Now everyone move along "these aren't the droids you're looking for."

March 9, 2011 at 10:17 a.m.

• I had commented that fear was the root of hate, but I should have typed ignorance leads to fear which leads to hate which leads to extremism which leads to violence. I think those who fear Islam have an insight into the roots of violence. Of course, a mentally healthy person wouldn't let their thought processes be ruled by emotional and faulty reasoning... I always wonder about how Jared Loughner's brain devolved (years of faulty wiring) to the point where it seemed rational to kill.

March 9, 2011 at 10:15 a.m.

• I think Christians should speak out against Fred Phelps.

March 9, 2011 at 10:07 a.m.

• ...and extremism is its leaf, right?

March 9, 2011 at 10:07 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

March 9, 2011 at 10:06 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

March 9, 2011 at 10:03 a.m.

• If I were born into Islam, I would hope that I would be brave enough to speak out against extremism and violence. Sure, I have heard stories of how that gets a person killed, but I would hope that I could at least have Americans support me in my campaign, instead of Americans being against me based on my religion. If all I see of my fellow Americans is a protest when I go to a meeting and if they shout at me "One nation under God not Allah" and "GO HOME" I think I would see my hope of peace destroyed by the very people I thought could help.

March 9, 2011 at 10:02 a.m.

• I'm like that with women, Hick - they are ALWAYS out to get me.

My life is one big Benny Hill chase.

;-)

March 9, 2011 at 9:59 a.m.

• Yes Mike. I understand where you are coming from, but I am just being honest. I will always have a hard time trusting any Muslim due to some events that have taken place.

March 9, 2011 at 9:49 a.m.

• Here's the flyer for the event - scares the hell out of me!

Personally I wouldn't 100% rely on Glenn Beck recommended website http://www.discoverthenetworks.org for bio information. There is a more balanced WSJ article out there on Imam Wahhaj if you care to search for it.

Finally, if Pat Robertson came to Victoria and aside from the crowds that would undoubtedly pay to see him here, I wonder how many local Muslims would protest and shout insults at children?

Food for those that bother to think.

March 9, 2011 at 9:48 a.m.

• Hictoria
    I'm Sure you're aware that your statement can be turned around and used against you.

March 9, 2011 at 9:01 a.m.

• I understand that there are some good Muslims, but I still will have a hard time trusting any of them due to them being able to snap at any moment.

March 9, 2011 at 8:59 a.m.

• Here are the bio's for the speakers at the "Fund Raiser for Women's Shelter."

Amir Abdel Malik Amir Ali from Oakland is a frequent guest of Muslim student organizations on U.S. campuses, including the University of California, Irvine (UCI), where he has spoken several times at the Muslim Student Union’s Israeli Apartheid Week, an annual program of Israel-bashing and anti-Zionist sentiment that often wades into anti-Semitism. In May 2010, the Oakland cleric told a UCI audience that he supports Hamas, Hezbollah and Islamic Jihad as well as jihad on the UCI campus, and accused Jews of causing the world’s financial troubles.

Siraj Wahhaj who leads the Brooklyn al-Taqwa Mosque, became the first Muslim to give an invocation at Congress in 1991. He was named as a co-conspirator in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. He was never charged and has denied involvement.

Yeah, there's nothing extreme about these dudes. Why I would trust them, well let's see no farther then I could spit for sure maybe a little less - possibly a healthy slobbering drool.....eh?

And oh yeah, why would you invite people like this to a fund raiser for a women's shelter, these people believe in sharia law - good grief!

March 9, 2011 at 8:15 a.m.

• "How about Ft. Hood Texas, but that didn't seem to wake up some libs within this forum?"

Didn't really wake me up but confirmed what I suspected.

When a female Democratic congresswoman is shot in the head (and innocent bystanders are murdered) after being targeted by the rightwingers then it's not political and the shooter is a deranged individual with mental health issues.

When an army officer with a history of mental health issues shoots soldiers then his religion is responsible.

Pretty clear.

March 9, 2011 at 7:27 a.m.

• How about Ft. Hood Texas, but that didn't seem to wake up some libs within this forum?

March 9, 2011 at 12:29 a.m.

• " Just because 9/11 happen 1700 miles away doesn’t mean that it can’t happen in Victoria Texas."

Has it already happened in Vanderbilt?

March 9, 2011 at 12:22 a.m.

• OMG…. Mike…. Are you scared that Rep. King is going to find more truth that American born Muslim-extremist are willing to (kill you and your family), and they don’t care what political party that you belong to, they just want to kill you because you’re an American… What part of this crap do you not understand, my God how many more Americans have to (die) at the hands of these terrorist, how many more plots have to be uncovered before you and your liberal buddies understand “OMG they’re trying to kill us” are you so out of touch that you can’t wipe your on butt or that something has to happen in your on back yard before you wake up and realize something is going on. Just because 9/11 happen 1700 miles away doesn’t mean that it can’t happen in Victoria Texas…

I do apologize for writing a comment on your liberal blog, it is against my rules. But dang the lies you tell, and the distortion of truth♠♠♠

March 9, 2011 at 12:12 a.m.

• I think that the demonstrators triggered the demonstrations?

They seem out of context. I could understand a demonstration at an event to promote Sharia Law, but not at an event to raise money for the homeless. The people walking into the building seemed like the respectable ones. The demonstrators... what an embarrassment. It's also disgusting to see concepts and symbols that should bring pride to Americans, being used to harass. I wonder what type of associations are being formed in the minds of those Muslim children as they hear the ignorant jeers from the protesters and see the American flag being waved. When that video is seen by Muslims around the world, what image do they have of Christian-Americans? (The protesters were chanting "One Nation under God not Allah.")

Extremism is the real enemy here. I'm sure many Muslims in attendance - the very ones having to walk by the protesters - would agree.

March 8, 2011 at 11:59 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

March 8, 2011 at 11:23 p.m.

• Was it the event or the speakers invited to the event that triggered the demonstration, speakers with ties to terrorist organizations?

March 8, 2011 at 10:44 p.m.

• Here's a wonderful example of ignorance and intolerance:

"One Sunday, February 13, 2011 ICNA Relief (An American Muslim relief organization) held a dinner event in Yorba Linda, CA to raise money for women's shelters, and to help relieve homelessness and hunger in the US."

Here's what happened when local Tea Party and other groups decided a protest was in order:

March 8, 2011 at 10:06 p.m.

• It gets even better on his blog:

"The Hispanics are our natural allies against the Democrats and Muslims.

With much appreciation, I remain, as always,

Sincerely yours,

Steven Hotze, M.D."

Looks like everybody is going to have to rethink immigration reform.

March 8, 2011 at 9:57 p.m.

• Thank GOP, but the 39% who voted for Rick Perry citizens shouldn't be surprised because now that he's governor he doesn't have to deliver. And he won't.

Dan Patrick is doing everything but working on the budget.

I'm going to give the 112th Congress one more month before I start asking " where are the jobs Mr. Boehner." The Federal and the state republicans are just working on social issues.

March 8, 2011 at 4:32 p.m.

• These funny guys can’t help themselves. Even while trying to make room under their tent for “other” ethnics groups. And this funny guy is one of our own, a fellow Texan.

Check this out.

March 8, 2011 at 4:20 p.m.