Comments

• SugarMagnolia
    Thank you very much......I'm surprised that my barber's haven't raised their prices in years, but as you say,they are not in it for the money.....at the start of  each school year,they cut the poorer kid's hair for free....We laugh because sometimes we are sitting targets for raffle tickets,football pots,dinner plates and donation jars.

The only draw back (and it's rare) is that  baby's first hair cut with all the crying and carrying on,is not as funny or cute as it used to be....:-)

May 28, 2011 at 4:58 p.m.

• Mike, I really enjoyed this blog. I'm sure that my dad would have some tales of barbershops. Now, he goes to a salon in Cuero with me and grandma; at least the salon is still down-to-Earth and not high-falutin'. Cheap enough, too. In fact, I constantly tell the guy he needs to raise his prices because it's the truth. But he ain't in it for the money, he just does what he loves to do.

But the vivid descriptions in your story and in some of the responses make me FEEL like I've been there!

May 28, 2011 at 4:39 p.m.

• You came out ahead as far as money goes but It's hard to put a price on a good belly laugh....:-)

May 28, 2011 at 4:23 p.m.

• It didn't start that way, but I could post a blog about puppies and it would would be turned into a political WWF....:-)

May 28, 2011 at 4:07 p.m.

• Is this the "plus" of Politics Plus? Politics plus some nostalgia... =D

May 28, 2011 at 3:01 p.m.

• When my son was small, I took him to a barber shop in Edna. I think it's called Joe's barber shop now, but we were there when the former owner was still there.
    YOu are right Mike. That is exactly the atmosphere I remember. It was a great place to go to catch up on all the local gossip, and any question we asked, he knew the answer and then some.

May 28, 2011 at 1:09 p.m.

• Mike,

Love the piece. They say what goes around, comes around. My Mom started cutting my hair in a burr and I am back to doing it myself. Now my girls complain about the bushy eye brows.

reeder,

I hate being disillusioned but this ain't one of those times. I am a Democrat and I have paid every penny I owed since my first pay check in 1958. I have not received a tax refund in the last 2 decades. Maybe I could start Vet43 Oil and get a sweet tax "kiss" from the GOP while we cut back our education funding?

May 28, 2011 at 12:27 p.m.

• vet43,
    Hate to disillusion you, but it's the democrats that aren't paying their fair share. EVERYONE should feel the bite of the taxman or no one should.

May 28, 2011 at 12:02 p.m.

• Thanks arlewill

Middle age men of today ,go to a lot of expense and trouble to create the old barbershop environment; they call it a man cave...:-)

I think in the era of simpler times, we shared similar experiences.

Yes, no one had to worry about me competing to be the " cotton picker of the year."

May 28, 2011 at 9:52 a.m.

• gansoblanco

Good post,I enjoyed reading about your similar experiences.

Yes,that hot cream and straight razor also tends to keep you motionless but after he applies the after shave..you're go to go for another month.

May 28, 2011 at 9:44 a.m.

• Mike
    You have real talent here. I enjoyed this article and the previous one about the five days of picking cotton.
    I went to the barbershop for the first time when I became 14 years old. My Mother cut my Dad's and my hair prior to that. I recall the excitement when Mother got her first electric shears.
    Barbershops are about the only male enviornment left in our society and are special to some of us guys.

Your article on your cotton picking experience is very similar to my experience as a young boy. It was hot, dry and the results in my sack were embarrassing. I never tried to pick two rows. I was amazed at how some folks could do this job well. Not a fun job and nobody asked me to do it again.

May 28, 2011 at 7:19 a.m.

• It's not called "Obamacare" anymore. It's now known as "KilledBinLadincare". :D

I fancy myself a Barber Shop connoisseur and being past my third decade of a flattop I well know the fallacy of trying the "Styling" operations. My favorite barbershop of all time is the "Trophy Barber Shop" in Baytown Texas. Late 1940's style with a row of 10 or so chairs and a wooden number dispenser in the center to designate your turn when the shop is full. Walls covered with animal heads and a full mounted Polar Bear just inside the front door. Genuine elephant foot trash cans. Wall to wall testosterone. Heaven.

I liked your comments about the titles being left at the door. A few months back I had an engaging conversation with an older gentleman in the chair about human ignorance and evil, how the two are often confused, and how the former is too common and the latter relatively rare.

When the visit and the haircut were concluded and it was my turn in the chair the first words the Barber had for me was, "Do you know who that was?'

It was the Bishop....nice guy....even to infidels.

The older I get the more joy I find in the sensation of hot cream and a straight razor under my ears and on the back of my neck. Bliss.

May 27, 2011 at 10:08 p.m.

• OK. 53% do not pay taxes? Really? Now we know who is getting clipped. Me! How do the Republicans keep from paying taxes? I had no idea the GOP was that dishonest to cheat on their taxes.

May 27, 2011 at 9:46 p.m.

• Especially if he's called Sweeney Todd...

May 27, 2011 at 9:18 p.m.

• Reeder isn't very good at being a bad troll

May 27, 2011 at 8:45 p.m.

• Mike, while I've got you in such an agreeable mood, are you ready to admit that Obamacare is the biggest public policy mistake since Medicare?

May 27, 2011 at 8:12 p.m.

• Yes reeder,my mistake,you're right,I posted in the wrong section because I can't read.

Have a Happy Memorial weekend

May 27, 2011 at 7:39 p.m.

• Gee, Mike, I guess you can't read. This post was in the politics plus section. Guess you need to either move the post or learn to read.

May 27, 2011 at 6:45 p.m.

• waywardwind, you could be right but I hope it's not a dying breed.

After I posting this blog I realized that we never talked about politics, race or religion..... It was one of those unwritten rules that we unconsciously acknowledged.....For one, the man with the straight razor would win..:-)

May 27, 2011 at 5:06 p.m.

• reeder, I'm pretty sure you stumbled into the wrong thread because this is not a political blog..By intent.

I'm in a pretty good mood; it's Friday, so I'll help you find your way.
    The Committee on House Ways and Means write our tax legislation, that committee is chaired by a republican Congressman Dave Camp.... Any issue you have with taxes, or a request for a pat on the back for being one of the millions that pays income tax, should be addressed to that committee.

I bet you we're great at the game " Trivia" and 6° of Kevin Bacon.

Have a good weekend

May 27, 2011 at 4:55 p.m.

• Mike...enjoy that barber shop. They are a dying breed. Even though I don't have enough hair to make the trip to the barber shop worth the cost, I wouldn't trade that experience once a month for anything. I can't imagine getting my hair cut in one of those fancy-schmancy places that want you to make an appointment and what pass for barbers trying to carry on a conversation.

May 27, 2011 at 4:40 p.m.

• After the Democrats scalp the 47% of us that actually pay income taxes by raising the tax rate to 62%, WE won't be able to go to the barber shop (or have the need to go).

May 27, 2011 at 4:30 p.m.

• That's right Jared, the environment reminds me of the old television show " Cheers"....." where everybody knows your name."..:-)

May 27, 2011 at 3:02 p.m.

• Those are the best kinds of shops! Fun stuff.

May 27, 2011 at 2:47 p.m.