Comments

• PatB,

I also may have shared many a boat ride with you. My main job was to warn aicraft about deer or turkey's (with and without feathers) on the runway and keeping Farmer Brown from flying through the bombing range. Remember when we would get steaks in chow hall because a cow got done in by a stray drop on Whyens ranch?

November 14, 2011 at 10:36 a.m.

• vet43,
    We may have crossed paths in the mes hall,etc on MGI. I was in RBS. We did the electronic scoring annd special missions and the 4004th ABS took the live drops. But you already know that.
    Pat Barnes

November 14, 2011 at 7 a.m.

• Our tower crew launched and recoverd the first B-52 strike of Achlight June 18, 1965. 30 left and 27 returned. Control Tower Operater Matagorda Bombing Range until tower closed 1966 then to Ellington AFB and got to control "The Right Stuff". Real cool!

November 13, 2011 at 11:02 a.m.

• Mike, Vet, Pat, guys thank you for your service to our country! USAF 69-74, Guam, March AFB, gunner B-52D. TDY to Guam December 72, during Linebacker II.

November 13, 2011 at 7:39 a.m.

• Mike,vet43,
    I did 3 years on Matagorda Island. We trained a lot of guys that went to Nam for close support bombing. A lot of them did two rounds of 180 day TDYs. I got lucky and didn't have to go. Hate to say it but I'm glad.
    Patrick Barnes

November 12, 2011 at 5:06 p.m.

• PatB,

I was USAF '63 -'67 also not in combat but was in Vietnam on TDY. For years I just thought I was "in the rear with the gear" but an old friend that was USMC told me that we were brothers under the flag because we all served. He told me this after I told him about being spit on when I returned to the Z.I.

You served your country and was discharged with honor you are a Veteran and should stand with pride. Many of our fellow service members are the reason many others came home because we all stood as One. Thank you for your's and Mike's service and the rest of our brothers and sisters that wore the uniform.

November 12, 2011 at 10:05 a.m.

• Same here, Pat I signed up for a six year military obligation, three active and three inactive from 64-70, but I was so inactive that I wasn't even required to attend weekend Reserve duty. I only recognize the 1964-1967 but I was never in combat..Yesterday, one of the many real veterans that were stationed around Victoria business establishments invited me to a free dinner to honor my military service. I felt like you do, I did what I did and I don't deserve anything special.

Anyway, Happy Veterans Day and have a good weekend.

November 12, 2011 at 9:15 a.m.

• Mike,
    I did four in the USAF '63-'67. Never was exposed to combat so I never have considered myself a veteran. Just a guy who didn't know what to do with himself when he was 18.
    Patrick Barnes

November 12, 2011 at 8:36 a.m.