Comments

• The republicans just cannot listen to "the people". They are catering to a very few v. the rest of the population. It's going to bite them in the "you know what" come election day. They cannot spin this for much longer with all of the unrest of the lower, middle, and lower upper class, and senior citizens.

November 21, 2011 at 5:40 p.m.

• The president just said that he wished that the republicans will work as hard on extending the payroll tax for the middle class, as they do in preserving the tax cuts for the rich . I know the president's words will be repeated in tomorrow's night umpteenth GOP presidential debate on National Security..... They will say the words of the president will make us weak but that strategy left the train station a long time ago... Especially when you have a top tier candidate that thinks the Taliban will try to take over the Libyan government..lol

November 21, 2011 at 5:09 p.m.

• I didn't and I put it into the VA blog record...:--)

The GOP is already trying to get around the automatic defense cuts but the president has just said he will veto any thing like that....The defense dept. has a $700 billion budget and half of that is for private defense contractors and employees.

November 21, 2011 at 4:56 p.m.

• Did anyone actually think they would reach a deal?

November 21, 2011 at 4:44 p.m.

• Super Committee has FAILED to reach a deal! Why is that breaking news?

November 21, 2011 at 3:57 p.m.

• Cont.

I'm not completely stupid. I know that we the third largest producers of crude oil, and we import about 49%, and our top sources are:
    Canada (25%)
    Saudi Arabia (12%)
    Nigeria (11%)
    Venezuela (10%)
    Mexico (9%)

I'm not talking about going cold turkey, I'm merely saying we should have a goal for renewable energies, and any plan would include vouchers for the poor. Right now we need to think about the gasoline tax because if the demand for electric cars picks up, we will have to find another way to fund our roads and infrastructure repair. I'm saying that we should include the number of asthma cases in West Virginia and Kentucky when we talk about mountaintop coal mining where the coal residue contaminates the rivers. I saw a report this morning from the World Meteorological Organization reported that green house gas have gone up 39% since the start of the industrial age in 1750. CO2 levels are now at 389 parts per million up from 208 parts a quarter -millennium ago. I think even you would have to agree that carbon is a heat-trapping gas. There are some seasonal fluctuations and in some countries it's due to fertilizer and the loss of forests. An energy policy is a step forward, and we can only take that step with all the information on the table.
    I saw the Tweet blamed on the young lady, but I think it was out of context and should just be a learning experience. We have some serious problems and that's not one them...IMO

November 21, 2011 at 9:16 a.m.

• Writein
    So many answers that it's going to take a blog like response.

There's also the blame game which you are purporting," it's someone else's fault." As I watch the Sunday talk shows, I was reminded of that. The Democrats on the Super Committee blame the Republicans for not wanting to raise taxes and Republicans blame the Democrats for do not want to cut entitlements. It's not a generation (pick any letter); it's fundamental differences in philosophy.

We have the separation of powers; just because the president asks for funds doesn't mean Congress will be appropriate them, especially when we have 9.1 unemployment and a $15 trillion debt. For the record: The space policy of the Barack Obama administration was announced by U.S. President Barack Obama on April 15, 2010, at a major space policy speech at Kennedy Space Center.[1] He committed to increasing NASA funding by $6 billion over five years and completing the design of a new heavy-lift launch vehicle by 2015 and to begin construction thereafter. He also predicted a U.S. crewed orbital Mars mission by the mid-2030s, preceded by an asteroid mission by 2025. In response to concerns over job losses, Obama promised a $40 million effort to help Space Coast workers affected by the cancellation of the Space Shuttle program and Constellation program.

The Obama administration's space policy was made subsequent to the final report of the Review of United States Human Space Flight Plans Committee, which it had instituted to review the human spaceflight plans of the United States in the post-Space Shuttle era. The NASA Authorization Act of 2010, passed on October 11, 2010, enacted many of the Obama administration's space policy goals.

Every four years, we have a presidential election where the candidate will try to sell his proposals and steps; they will take to implement them. In 2008, about 69 million people voted for the proposals of President Obama. It's only normal that a president will choose a cabinet member they will get along with. The vetting process will eliminate some and the desire to work for the opposition party will take care of several more. It's not it's easy as you make it.

The abortion issue was settled with Roe v Wade, there's no need for a sit down get together because social issues cannot be resolved that way.

November 21, 2011 at 9:14 a.m.

• Mike.

Like I said on your blog, the reason why they are so much anger, lies, and half-truths because things were not resolved before the “Gen Y’s” parents met. Things should have been resolve like energy policy, abortion, and taxes etc. Things are continuous and annoying because special interest group use the American people, the American electorate, as pawns to further their agenda.
    The only way to solve these problems is to have a President; a reform minded one, with a mixed and balanced cabinet. It seems that goals are being pushed to aside for ideology and agendas. Let’s take the NASA Mars project as an example. How many presidents went before Congress ask for funds for a Mars mission or at least put the full weight of the office into it? It took from 1961 with JFK and LBJ to put a man on the moon. Now we cannot even solve that problem. To solve any problem in American society should be solved by the meeting of the minds. I would like to see people from both sides of the Abortion for example; locked in a room, hash out their grievance, and come out with a meaningful solution to the problem.
    I firmly disagree with you about your stance against coal and oil in America. Your opinion would ensure motorists and oil companies buying from with foreign oil companies. This should be a neither or nor plan, our energy policy should be diverse and wide. I would like to see the US government selling some of its federal land to states like Utah and Nevada or to energy companies to build power plants. I mean we do have 197 trillion in assets. We could use some of those assets to pay down the national debt. I guess I am going beyond the topic.
    By the way, you should check out Lauren E. Pierce, leader of the UT College Republicans and her stupid comments about assassinating the president. Which I might add, I have sent the University of Texas a letter demanding that her organization to be defunded, dissolved, and banned for four years.

November 21, 2011 at 1:18 a.m.

• Correction: I incorrectly said Obama sent 100 special forces to Somalia; the president sent 100 special forces to Uganda.

November 19, 2011 at 11 a.m.